Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Careful What You Wish For ❯ Birth of a New Warrior ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"NNNOOOOOOOO!!! YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LAST OF ME!!!" Super screamed as his body disappeared in a blinding flash of light, followed shortly after by a massive explosion. It seemed as though Chaos Tails' "borrowed" Kamehameha Wave had finally rid Mobius of the threat of Super Tails once and for all.

When the smoke had cleared, there was no sign of Super Tails anywhere. Chaos Tails could no longer sense Super's energy signal either.

"It's finally over." the fox said slowly descending to the ground. As soon as his feet touched the ground, the Chaos Emeralds inside of Tails' body reappeared, dropping to the ground as he returned to his normal form.

Tails turned to all of his friends and smiled while saying, "Hey, you guys! We did it!"

Everyone started cheering excitedly at the kits' declaration of victory. They began charging towards their friend, shouting their congratulations the entire time. Sonic's voice caught Tails' attention the most. "No, bro. You did it."

Once the group reached Tails, the fox gave Sonic a high five and said, "Thanks, Sonic." He then looked over to where the lifeless body of Amy Rose lay and let a single tear escape the corner of his eye.

"I only wish we could've saved her." Tails said regrettably.

Sonic let a few tears fall himself. "So do I, buddy. So do I."

Cream and Knuckles remained in silent mourning for the friend they had lost as they calmly walked over to the pink hedgehog's corpse. Sonic knelt down beside Amy and gently brushed her bangs out of her face with the back of his gloved hand.

"She looks so peaceful." The blue hedgehog whispered, now letting the tears fall freely. Tails laid his hand on his older brother's shoulder and said softly, "At least she left this world knowing how you truly felt about her, Sonic."

The hedgehog looked up at his young fox friend, tears still falling, and smiled.

"Thanks, Tails. That means a lot to me."

"No problem." Tails smiled back. "But it's getting late. We should be heading back home." Tails then looked over at Knuckles. "Hey knuckles. Can you go get the Chaos Emeralds for me?" He asked the guardian.

"I got 'em." Cream squeaked as she ran over to where the emeralds were lying.

Sonic slowly stood up, wiping his tears away, and said, "When we get back home, we can give her a proper funeral. It's the least we can do for her."

"Sure, Sonic." Tails replied, but the kits' attention seemed to be elsewhere at the moment. Sonic quickly noticed Tails just staring off into the sky and so he questioned his young friend. "Hey, Tails? Is something wrong?"

Tails didn't look at his adoptive older brother, but continued gazing into nothing as he answered. "I... don't know. But I can't shake this bad feeling I have." Meanwhile, Cream had made her way to the emeralds' location on the ground.

The young rabbit knelt down to retrieve the gems, and once she had them, she proceeded back to her remaining friends. This was when she noticed Tails' erratic behavior.

"Tails, what's the matter?" She called out to the fox.

Just as Tails was about to answer the doe, the ground beneath their feet began to quake violently. That was when Tails sensed it.

"Cream! Get over here, quick!" He shouted. The fox had caught sight of a line of rapidly upturning earth heading straight for Cream at high speed. "Wha..." But before the rabbit could even place one delicate foot in front of the other, a figure suddenly erupted from the ground, clasping thier hand around Cream's throat, clamping shut her windpipe in a vice-like grip.

"GOTCHA!!"

"Cream, no!" Tails yelled, seeing the life-threatening situation his youngest friend, and first crush, was now in. "Put her down, NOW!" The twin-tailed kit demanded.

"I'm afraid I can't do that." Super stated as if none of this was a big deal. He then added, "Unless..."

"Unless what?" Tails growled, seeing Cream struggling desperately for precious air.

Super smiled maliciously and said, "I want the Guardian to bring the Master Emerald to me. Then I will release your friend." Once this offer was made, to everyone's surprise, Knuckles stepped forward.

"Do we have your word that once you have the Master Emerald you'll let Cream go?" The dreadlocked one questioned. Super nodded, slightly weakening his grip on the rabbit's throat. Knuckles reluctantly reached underneath his glove and slowly pulled out a small green gem, no bigger than a Chaos Emerald.

The sadistic grin on the evil fox's face grew as he watched the gem expand to full size as the echidna placed it on the ground.

Cream continued to gasp for air as Super began to laugh, and in a demonic voice said, "Excellent... now say goodbye to your friend!!"

"NNOOOO!!" Tails, Sonic and Knuckles screamed at the same time, but there was nothing any of them could do. In the blink of an eye, Super had clamped his hand around Cream's neck so tightly, that the boys all heard a loud crunch noise and saw the rabbit's expression go blank as her arms fell limp at her sides.

Tails dropped to his knees, on the verge of throwing up, having just witnessed yet another friend die at Super's hands. "Cream...no." Sonic only stood there, still taking in the fact that another friend had been killed by this monster.

"Damn you, Super! We had a deal!!" Knuckles shouted, bearing his teeth at the psycho fox.

Super continued laughing as he released his grip, letting Cream's dead body fall to the ground. "I know, but I did hold up my end of the deal... I just never said anything about releasing her ALIVE."

Without warning, Super delivered a lightning fast punch to Knuckles' gut, felling the guardian of the Master Emerald in one blow. The wicked vulpine then turned his attention towards Sonic and Tails.

"Now it's only you two... This will be easy."

Super slowly stepped atop the Master Emerald and almost instantly, his appearance had changed. His golden-yellow fur was now dark red, the exact color of all the blood he had spilled. His eyes were glowing pure white, and his pupils vanished. The color of the Master Emerald had also faded.

The villainous vulpine finally spoke, in a voice that made the heavens themselves tremble. "For the last few moments of your existence, you may refer to me as... Psycho Tails!"

As their foe stepped down from the Master Emerald, neither Sonic nor Tails averted their angry gazes from the ground... even as Psycho Tails approached them.

"Aww, what's the matter? So scared you can't move?" Psycho taunted.

Suddenly, both Sonic's and Tails' heads shot up, glaring a hole right through Psycho Tails. This did not deter the evil fox however, as he was now only a few yards away.

Sonic was standing still, clenching his fists as Tails rose to his feet. The hedgehog and fox continued to stare down their foe as they began to speak, the hatred evident in their voices, beginning with Sonic.

"First Amy..."

"And now Cream..." Tails added.

As they spoke, the color had begun to return to the Master and Chaos Emeralds. Then they both shouted in unison, "WE WON'T LET YOU GET AWAY WITH THIS!!!" At these words, the Chaos Emeralds levitated off the ground and shot towards the pair of heroes.

"Whatever you two are hoping to accomplish by this won't do you any good." Psycho Tails said as he continued towards the hedgehog and fox. But before he could reach his opponents, the Chaos Emeralds whizzed past him and began revolving around Sonic and Tails.

"What!?" Psycho half-shouted. "What's going on here!?"

The Chaos Emeralds still encircling them, Sonic and Tails spoke once again.

"Psycho, you've brought nothing but pain and suffering to all of us..." Sonic growled, followed by a quick flash of light... reappearing as Hyper Sonic.

"And we've lost our best friends due to your actions..." Tails spat, mimicking Sonic's action, transforming into Chaos Tails.

As Chaos and Hyper forms faced the evil responsible for several deaths, Chaos Tails and Hyper Sonic shouted, their voices alone sending a chill up their foe's spine...

"THIS CANNOT BE FORGIVEN!!! CHAOS... FUSION!!!"

Tails thrust his right fist straight out to his side, as Sonic did the same with his left. As their fists crashed together, a swirling green vortex of energy swallowed the fox and hedgehog. From outside the tower of light, Psycho Tails could feel the duo's power increasing by the second.

"No... I've got to stop them, before it's too late!!" Psycho screamed, losing all self-control. He furiously began launching wave after wave of attacks at the two heroes, but none would reach them.

Psycho ceased his barrage when he noticed the energy tower begin to slowly dissipate.

'It's no use, Psycho. You're too late... now we will rid this world of your evil once and for all.'

The psychotic kit raised an eyebrow in confusion as he heard two voices addressing him, but only saw the silhouette of ONE being. "What do you mean 'We'? There's only one of you!"

As the light faded, the Mobian that had referred to himself as 'We' was revealed.

This new being appeared to possess certain features distinct to both Sonic and Tails.

He had Tails' two large, bushy tails, large fox ears, and three bangs of fur, but the bangs now contained blue highlights. His body retained its previous orange color, now with blue ring markings tracing over the fur on his arms, legs, and ears. The fox/hedgehog hybrid also had one large blue quill jutting from each forearm, and two more smaller ones on the back of his head.

As Psycho stared at this new hero, his face lost all confidence as the mysterious Mobian slowly opened his eyes, revealing one eye to be green like Sonic's, while the other was sky blue like Tails'.

"How does it feel, Psycho? How does it feel to stare into the face of your defeat?" The unknown warrior stated coldly. Psycho Tails finally found his voice to ask his new foe a question.

"Wh... who... are you?"

The strange "Hedge-Fox" glared at his nemesis and slowly crossed his arms, speaking in a dual-tone voice sounding of both Sonic and Tails.

"I am we. They are me. We are one. I am... Sainic."