Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Act ❯ Betrayl? ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Eeep! I’m jumping around on the comic and game storylines! Okee, all this takes place somewhere after Sonic Adventure 2, but before Sonic Heroes I think... *shakes head shamefully*




My head was pounding as I looked at the ground. I don't know how long I had been hanging there.

In an attempt to free myself, I started to jab at the vines that had entangled themselves around my right foot, which left me in a most uncomfortable position. I heard a sharp snap and was dropped to the ground.

I stood up, but only loosing my balance from having been in a vertical position, for who knows how long.

As soon as I regained my footing I glanced around what looked like a swamp.

" Sonic?" My Amethyst eyes searched for the Sapphire colored creature, but there was no sign of the hedgehog.

‘Maybe Chaos Control wasn't such a good idea’ ... I thought to myself, noticing how weak and tired I felt as I made my way through the vines and shrubbery.

I only saw more landscape, no Mobotropolis, no Knothole. I looked for anything that could give me a vague hint to where I was located. Nothing

I bashed my head against the tree in frustration. I really didn't know what else to do at the time.

My idiocy was stopped by a vibration. I stood steadily on a branch, trying to blend in. Not that it would make much of a difference, red isn't exactly the best camouflage.

There was something moving on the ground, I was still too high up to get a good visual, the image was obscured by tree branches. Not daring to move, the only thing I could do was watch.

It definitely wasn't Sonic. ‘Too big to be...'

My thoughts were cut off by a loud crack emitted from the very tree I stood on.

Frozen with fear, I looked down, only to see the tree was tilting to one side, the crackling increasing. The large lumber’s fall was supported by other neighboring trees. I was flung out, landing onto the ground with a loud thud.

It knew I was there...

I got up and started dashing towards my only salvation, a tall rock formation. I drove my fists into the hard surface forcing it to break away. I furiously tunneled through the earth, putting forth my maximum energy in an effort to get far away from what I feared.


There was something familiar about this...

A feeling of the past swept over me, it seemed like something previously experienced, but it wasn't yet identifiable to me. Then to my relief I was momentarily blinded by the beams of light that traveled from a new opening in front of me.

The rocks broke away from where I slashed my razor sharp claws, looking around, I found myself back near Mobotropolis.

After two long hours of searching for Sonic, I decided to put it aside and head back to Knothole.

My muscles ached, mostly my arms. I had been lifting every boulder and rock looking for that hedgehog.

Why did I care so much?

I don't even know.

As I walked through the dark woods I contemplated on the previous events.

`What would feel the need to kill Robotnik...' This seemed like an interesting question. The only ones I knew of that would want his life were the Freedom Fighters, and me. ` Must have been what tried to get to me back there... Or.. Natural cause?' Although seeing a rotting decayed man lying on the cold earth didn't seem a normal death to me.

I stumbled into the hay stack that lay in front of Knothole's secret entrance.

Looking around, I was glad to see that Knothole looked the same, and teeming with life. I decided to notify King Acorn of Robotnik's death. As I approached the gates, I saw something that ignited flames within me.

"Sonic?!"

The hedgehog was casually discussing something with Tails, who seemed to be fondling over his idol.

" Knuckles! I thought you were gone for good buddy!"

" Stop calling me buddy! That's what you call all your little Freedom Fighters!"

After saying this I got a few cold glares from the nearby folk.

" C'mon you know I'm your friend Knux..." The hedgehog seemed focused on trying to soothe my now raging temper.

" Friends don't leave their "buddies" to die in some canyon!" I spat maliciously, still enraged by what I was seeing.

" I swear I looked for you everywhere Red! Its been two days!" Sonic looked almost hurt now, with the two-tailed fox now hiding behind him. After being told of the time, I notice that I has thinned slightly, and was unkempt, my fur was ruffled with dust.

" Well you didn't look hard enough! I looked for you nearly two hours!" The last sentence slipped out before I could stop myself.

Dammit... He didn't need to know that...

After feeling like I had humiliated myself, I yanked out the Chaos Emerald I possessed to the ground in front of Sonic. My Amethyst eyes now glowing with hate and anger.

" You keep it, Hedgehog." With that I walked back to the entrance of Knothole, and was gone.

Far away from him, that bastard.

I hate you Sonic, I always have...

The weather seemed to be picking up again. I was just now regretting my outburst in Knothole. `I really let myself go...'

I found myself back at the ocean shore, staring out at where my island had once proudly been. I seated myself on a log that lay on the shore.

Guess I'm on my own again...

Why had I trusted that hedgehog, he had never cared in the first place. I glared at the sand bitterly. He's a lowly bastard. He probably bluffed about looking for me, just to shut me up.

I untied the cloth that was still wrapped around my shoulder, miraculously. Glad and comforted by the Master Emerald's presence. Never thought I'd miss my duty as a guardian.

Staring at the Emerald brought me back to the creature, that I had now encountered twice...

` It had to of been what was after me when I woke up... What else would want the Master Emerald.’

‘The hedgehog...'

I mentally kicked myself for concluding it was Sonic. He had never tried to take the Master Emerald from me, that was one of Eggman's tricks.

I lowered my head into my hand, still staring at the beautiful green stone. It was my only escape from reality.

There was no sunset, no sun, just darkness. I felt myself become drowsy. I laid down on the sand with the master emerald held tightly into my chest.

A light drizzle descended from the sky, but I was only thankful for its soothing touch on my aching body.