Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Act ❯ Let it go ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Duuuude! I’m updating for what, the third time now today? Oh wells! All you peoples are just so cool, so I had to give you another treat =P And guess what! Its sunny in this chapter!!! Yaaaaaaaaah.... *growls* I didn’t enjoy writing that part :( *stabs sun* Anyweees yeh, I gotta get Knuckles out of the rut I’ve thrown him into. (You’ll see what I mean when I post the next few chapters) Updating and typing more of the story both at ta same time! Wheeeee. ENJOY!!! :D :D
***********

The rock wall broke away as I smashed my spiked fist through.

Sally walked straight through the new opening, as if it were a natural occurrence, focused on her small computer Nicole.

"Nicole says that the Chaos Emerald is near a water source... Do either of you know where that might be?"

Sonic shrugged and looked at me.

"Well, I’ve been around these parts before... But... I don’t really remember there being any water except for the river..."

All three of us were in the Mystic Ruins jungle, searching for the third chaos emerald. At this time we only had two.

The sun eluded the shadows that loomed in the canopy, revealing the scar that stretched across the crescent moon that looped around my chest.

It had been a month since we last saw the Shadow Chaos, well, that's what we called it anyways. Those night’s events became almost like a taboo to Knothole.

They said I was out for weeks. That I had continuous nightmares... I don’t remember any of them, though.

Some of the Knothole folk did speak of it... But would always silence themselves when I was present. Not like they had the guts to talk about it in front of me.

But I always knew, the way that they all stare at me. Sometimes I want to shrivel up and die.

Yes, I was defeated... Is that a sin for a Guardian? I suppose it had to of been.

Then again, everyone supported me and gave me comfort, even when I refused it at times. Sonic seemed to spend as much time as he could with me. I guess, just trying to talk to me. To finally get to the subject of that night. It was like the hedgehog wanted something to happen when we talked.

Like maybe that I finally agree that we were friends... I don’t know...

Although, wherever Sonic went, so did Tails. That was one thing that I at least admired about the fox, that way I never had to be alone with Sonic to talk.

I just now realized that this was the first day since my island was destroyed, that the sun was shining.

Why... Today? Was there something special about today?

"Knuckles..." I felt a hand on my shoulder. Jumping slightly, I turned around.

Sally looked somewhat shocked by my reaction.

"Oh.. I-I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you..." Her eyes were filled with some kind of pity.

I hated pity, Especially when it was for me.

"No worries Sally, I was just surprised by the warmth that's all." She gave me a soft smile, then I received a short hug.

My insides boiled.

It wasn’t that I didn’t enjoy hugs. Just getting them when I’d already had enough is what I disapproved of.

I frowned slightly, then shook it off. "So what other clues do you have besides water...?" I asked, in an attempt to break the silence, and the stares of worry I was getting from Sonic and Sally.

"O-oh yes... Nicole, scan the area for any chaos radiation." Sally focused her attention back on her small computer, typing with her small delicate fingers.

I still felt a pair of eyes on me. I shifted my sight towards the hedgehog, who was still gazing at me, but not into my eyes. He seemed focused on the scar that was across my shiny coat of blood red crimson fur.

"What is it." I asked, startling the hedgehog.

"...Nothing, just staring into space..." He turned and started a conversation with the female chipmunk.

He never insulted me, or threw his names at me. Like Knucklehead, or Red. I kind of missed that part of him. It was like he saw me as something fragile. Just because of that scar.

I wanted to hide it from everyone, it was shame, degrading towards the guardianship. I didn’t want anyone to know that I had failed. Sonic had seen more of my unsuccessful battle than anyone else. No, not just a battle with the shadow, but with my losses as well.

At least, I still have the Master Emerald, it was nestled safely inside the backpack that dangled over my shoulder.

I still held on to the hope of somehow getting Angel Island back... It was my only light, besides revenge.

"Aha!" Both Sonic And I jumped at the sudden outburst from Sally.

"The source is coming from somewhere inside the actual ruins."

"Wait.." I whispered. " I remember now, the water source is near the shrine... I know where it is."

They both stared at me as if I were insane.

"What...?" I asked, surprised at their reaction.

"Knuckles... Its probably a good idea if you stay out here... I’m sure we can find it on our own." Sally said softly.

"What?!" My mouth was wide open in astonishment. They wouldn’t even let me walk into a broken down temple.

"Sally’s probably got a good point. We’ll meet you back at Knothole..." Sonic replied, supporting Sally.

"Nuh-uh I’m going too!" I shouted in defiance. "There’s no way your going without me! Don’t you remember? I’m the one who has lived near these ruins ever since I could walk, I know the place inside and out! even if it wasn’t on my Island!"

"Please Knuckles, its for the better-" I interrupted Sally’s lecture " For the better of what? I’m the Guardian, my duty is to protect, not to be protected, especially when there's no need for it!"

"Knuckles c’mon buddy... Its just not a good time..." The hedgehog was standing in front of me, blocking my way from the entrance to the ruins.

"Good time? Since when was it ever a good time? It seems you forgot that I could fend for myself a month ago!" At the mention of the subject, both of them went silent, simply staring, surprised that I, had been the one to mention what had occurred only a short while ago.

"Don’t do this Knuckles." Sonic frowned slightly as if it were a threat.

"Don’t do what? All I’m trying to do is act like myself!" After saying this I shoved Sonic aside, Sally started whining at me from behind to not go through with it, and that it wouldn‘t prove anything.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? What would I try to be proving?

I walked over to the back of the tall pyramid-like structure. I remember there being some kind of key.

Yes, the silver and gold stones...

I found one laying in the grass, where I had hidden it a long time ago, when we first faced Chaos. The other was already in the slot. I carefully placed the stone in it’s place, and watched as the wall’s bricked moved back to form a staircase, leading into the darkness.

The dark...

That's where it was... Hiding in the shadows...

I ignored the thought, the creature hadn’t come after me or the Chaos Emeralds since that night.
I walked into the dark, now realizing what I wanted to let go of.

My fear.

I remembered this place being a horribly long and puzzling maze. It had been so long since I was last here. Yet, it was a place that comforted me. This was one of the places where I had seen Tikal. I could barely remember that dream, I took her advice so seriously... As if it were real. As if she were still here. The visions she had shown me were so fresh, when I first saw Angel Island in the state it was hundreds of years ago.

I slid the backpack strap that was slung over my arm and rested it on my knee, unzipping it. I reached my hand in, and pulled out a purple, pulsing emerald.

It’s light was a bit brighter than it had been outside of the temple. I was pleased to know that I was alone, finally alone.

Then my hope was shattered by the soft sounds of footsteps. He followed me. I cursed, the sound of his travel was unmistakable.

I saw the blue hedgehog appear out of the shadows. I glared daggers at him. As he met my stare, his ears lowered slightly.

"I couldn’t let you go alone Knuckles."

I scoffed, smirking.

"What are you smiling about?" Sonic asked, as if he had never seen me happy in my life.

"Fight me." I said bluntly.

"What?" Sonic took a step back, looking surprised at what I had just said.

"Fight me, if you win, then I’ll go back to Knothole. But if you lose, then you have to leave the ruins."

I saw the expression on his face change, he seemed worried, like he was afraid of hurting me.
*********

The rut! Aaaah must destroy it! I think I’ll be adding another person from Sonic Adventure series in here. No, its not Shadow, he went boom(no offense to Shadow fans). But somehow he came back in Sonic Heroes O.o Anywho, just to straighten a few things out <.> This all takes place after Sonic Adventure two, but before Sonic Heroes... I think. ja... Next chapter up soon! And maybe,(if I get some more reviews) I’ll update today again! Yesh yesh that's what I’ll do! *laughs* Buh bye! *types away*