Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Epoch: Rust Coloured Memories ❯ Sniper's ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Sonic will find me... he always finds me!” snapped a twin-tailed fox who was bound in ropes, face down on the damp rock. His knees were numbing from the coldness of the puddle they were stuck in, he spat after he spoke, being able to taste the salty air.
“Yeah, yeah kid, we know,” grinned his purple captor who sat atop an air-bike polishing his silver magnum, his feet propped up on the handlebars, far from the damp ground that Tails found himself becoming acquainted with. “That's exactly what we want!” laughed Nack as he admired his gleaming weapon. “Remember how I gave your little rabbit friend a memory she'll never forget by shooting her horrible little pet?” he smirked. “Well we wanna give the hedgehog a similar memory.” He said, looking down the barrel of his handgun which was now pointed at Tails.
“We, you keep saying we!” growled Tails “I thought you were a lone ranger, who are you working with? Robotnik?”
Nack simply laughed as he loaded a single 10.9mm case into the chamber of his handgun. “Him amongst others.” Laughed the weasel as he spun the chamber of the gun, “And you're right kid, I am a lone ranger and that's why I'll come out on top with all the chaos emeralds!” he cackled.
“Chaos Emeralds? But I thought Robotnik was after the Time...” Tails was interrupted by a ringing on the console of Nack's air-bike.
“Shut up kid, it looks like its playtime.” Grinned Nack as he pressed a button on his console.
*****
Sonic's feet pounded the floor rhythmically as he tore through the landscape like a blue wind, darting over and under obstacles, dashing left and right past hazards, as he entered the cityscape of the Gigalopolis Zone* a huge looming urban area where Nack conducted his business. The zone was once part of the Star Light Zone and as a result there were still parts that were connected, however this half of the South Island mega-city was the half that had fallen under gang control and as a result was the nastiest part of South Island. Sonic screeched to a halt as he pulled up outside a nightclub the flickering neon sign read `Sniper's' though the second `S' refused to light up. A light blue female rabbit stood by the doorway, her face plastered with make-up, a red bow atop her head was the only decent thing that she wore, the rest of her attire was stereotypically trampy for this part of town. She blew a kiss towards Sonic as she leered forward in an attempt to be seductive.
“Hey there blue, ten gold rings and I'm yours for a full hour.” She purred in a throaty voice.
“No thanks, I'm here to see the owner tonight.” Growled Sonic as he walked past her without looking, swinging open the door to the club. It took his eyes a moment or two to adjust to the dingy, smoky atmosphere, numerous animals sat in booths throughout the club, some eagerly enjoying pole dances from scantily females, others sat at the bar drooling over the all female bar staff. Shaking his head, Sonic walked into the club and towards the heavy oak door at the back labelled `Manager'.
“I'm sorry Sir, you can't go in there.” Came a pleasant female voice from behind him, Sonic turned to see a yellow female feline standing before him, her black her set in pigtails “Though if it's somewhere private you'd like to go, I can take you to a...” she trailed off as the hedgehog turned to face her, colour draining from her as it dawned on her who was standing before her. Sonic the Hedgehog, the same hedgehog, who only two years previously had released her from one of Robotnik's batteries in the Star Light Zone which she had been crammed in, ready to make a badnik power source. “Oh, it's you...” she smiled, a faint light of hope illuminating in her eyes as she remembered the promises she'd made to herself when she'd been set free, how her life would be turned around, how she'd move to the Star Light half of the city, “I understand.” She smiled as Sonic turned his back to her and forced open the large door.
As he entered, he coughed a little as he inhaled the smoke that filled the room.
“Finally we meet.” Growled a voice through the thick grey air, “Sonic the Hedgehog I assume? I've already had a run-in with your little Fox buddy**, but this is an honour meeting the hero of Mobius in the flesh. Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Fockewulf and I'm sure it'll be a pleasure doing business with ya.” Grinned the blue anthromorphic wolf as he emerged from the cloud of smoke with a large paw outstretched.
Sonic swatted away the outstretched paw causing the wolf to laugh heartily as he flicked on an extra light, illuminating the office more so that the smoke could be seen through. “Not one for deals are we hedgehog? I watched you on CCTV as you entered, even Carrotia's bunny charms didn't reel you in at the low low price of ten rings.” He grinned, “Man has that broad gone downhill because of that twin-tailed fre...”
At that Sonic had had enough, speeding into action, he had almost instantly moved from the doorway to the other end of the office, behind the desk where the lupine had sat. Had being the operative word, he was now pinned against the wall, a thin yet strong tan arm leading to a white glove which tightened slowly around the neck of the blue wolf.
“Listen Fockewulf, I'm not here to do business with you or listen to you bad mouth my little buddy after he thwarted your little crew's attempt at taking over whilst I was out of town.” Growled Sonic, “I'm here to get my little bud back and luckily his captor left a clue, now where is he?”
“I don't have a clue who... arrggghh” groaned Fockewulf as Sonic's grip tightened. “Hey, cool it, I'll get him on the com...” whimpered the wolf as Sonic released his grip, the Wolf slumped to the floor, picking himself up he tapped at the keyboard on the desk in front, after a couple of rings, Nack answered.
“Ah so he finally got there? Well done Fockewulf, stick the blue freak on.” Fockewulf nodded and turned the screen to Sonic.
“Nack, so help me god...” growled Sonic.
“Yeah, yeah, if I harm a hair on the little Fox's body you'll do nasty horrible hedgehog things...” laughed the weasel as he span the chamber of his handgun and pointed it at the fox. “There's one bullet in here, I wonder how lucky your little buddy is?” grinned Nack, bearing his one over-sized fang.
“Don't you dare!” muttered Sonic as Nack's hand teased the trigger for a second or two of suspense which lasted a lifetime, the hedgehog's eyes widening as he watched Tails squirm on the floor through the monitor. The young fox's mouth trembling as he eyes began to glaze over, tears running down his cheeks. “Tell Cream I'm sorry.” Said the Fox bravely through tears, his voice warbling as Nack's finger squeezed the trigger.
“BANG!” shouted Nack as Tails yelped helplessly, trembling and crying on the floor as the sadistic weasel laughed towards the comscreen on his air-bike. Sonic himself had jumped during Nack's exclamation but it was obviously too much for Tails after watching the assassination of Cheese. “Listen hedgehog, there's six squeezes in this handgun with five left, I'll pull the trigger once every hour until the fox is dead, giving you a minimum of five hours to find me and a maximum of one.” Laughed the weasel.
“You'll never get away with this...” snapped Sonic angrily.
“Oh we'll see about that, first of all you've got to dodge Fockewulf's bullet.” Laughed the weasel as the screen cut out.
“That's right hedgehog, don't even dare move.” Growled the wolf, who during the com link had managed to arm himself and get behind Sonic, the cold steel of a gun's tip pressed firmly into the back of Sonic's neck, “Now turn around hedgehog, I'd like you to look in the eye of the person who finally nails Sonic the Hedgehog.” Laughed the wolf, Sonic swallowed hard, his mind racing, searching for a way to get out of his current predicament, he had to save Tails, but how could he do that if he was dead? He turned slowly but surely. Until the gun was now pointed right between his eyes. “Any last words hedgehog?”
“How about `not today!'” exclaimed a female voice from behind Fockewulf's large figure which was followed by a loud crack which led to Fockewulf crumbling slowly, drooping to his knees for a moment before dropping to the floor. In his place stood the female yellow cat that Sonic had seen outside the office.
“Wow, I owe you one!” smirked Sonic. “That was some smack.”
“Let's just call it even, you saved me once without even realising.” Smiled the cat, blushing slightly.
“Well I'd love to stay and chat but I've got a little bro to save...” replied Sonic as he moved to the door.
“Wait!” called the cat, causing Sonic to pause briefly in the doorway. “I know where Nack was broadcasting from! I should come with you...” Sonic turned slowly to face her with a smile.
“Why didn't you say so? By the way, I'm Sonic, Sonic the Hedgehog, welcome aboard.” Smiled the hedgehog, stretching out his hand to shake, all the while, the back of his mind doubting her after all he had met her working in Nack's lap dancing bar in Gigalopolis Zone.
She smiled as she stepped over the slumped body of the blue wolf, taking his hand and shaking it.
“The name's Honey^.” She smiled, causing Sonic to roll his eyes, she even had the name of a working girl.
*****
 
*Gigalopolis Zone - To tear through it yourself, get to the second zone of Sonic Chaos!
**Carrotia and Fockewulf are both characters from Tails' Sky Patrol, the adventure Fockewulf references.
^Honey was a character that was designed for but never used in Sonic the Fighters.