Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Life and Adventures of Rouge the Bat ❯ Great things come unexpected ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter one- Great Things Come Unexpected  

Rouge sleepily rubbed her eyes as she looked at the glowing digital clock.

“3:00 in the morning?!? This had better be good!” she complained, picking up the beeping communicator on her nightstand. Rouge pressed the “on” button, and the screen flickered on.

“You got a reason to interrupt my beauty sleep at three A.M.?” Rouge grumbled to the president’s picture.

“Yes.” the president answered, “we have heard that something is going on in the old, abandoned warehouse in Emerald city.”
“Oh, come on,” Rouge replied, “It hasn’t been used for a long time. Besides, I’ve been there many a time before. I know no one is in there.”

“Well, you’d think that, Rouge. We’ve heard that there has been some activity going on in there since Thursday.”

“But that was just a week ago!” Rouge complained. She got up to change her clothes, returning with her communications link attached around her head.

“Look, I’ll go, since it is my job, and I’ve got to remain loyal to the government.” Rouge recited. “But, if I wasn’t, I’d have ignored this call.”

The president smiled. “Good to see you know what to do. Contact me when you find out what’s going on.” At that moment, the screen turned off, returning Rouge’s room back to darkness.

Rouge crept quietly out of Club Rouge, so as not to wake Shadow, and through the brightly lit streets of Night Babylon. The casinos glittered with all their neon lights. It was almost as if it was always daytime at this place. She yawned, still tired from her lack of sleep.

“I’ve got to get some coffee or something, or else I won’t-Yawn-do so well tonight.” Rouge walked into a bar next door to a casino. Walking through the empty tables and chairs, she made her way to the brightly lit bar, where a man was sleeping.

“Hey, Joe!” Rouge whispered to the sleeping man. “Joe, wake up!”

The man stirred. “Rouge, is that you?” the man asked, getting up. “What are you doing here so early?”

“Duty calls.” Rouge answered. “I came to ask for coffee or something. I can’t do my job if I’m half-asleep.” She rubbed her eyes, looking around at the casino advertising posters. Rouge took a seat on one of the stools as Joe got her a cup of coffee. He handed it to her.

“Thanks, Joe.” Rouge said as she took a sip of the warm chocolate drink. “Ahhh! Hot!” she shouted, trying to cool off her tongue. “That’s a real waker-upper!”

“Hey, It’s always the perfect thing to give my tired customers.” Joe said.

“Can I pay you later?” Rouge asked when she finished off her coffee. “I’ve really got to split.”

“Sure!” Joe answered as Rouge got up to leave. “Can’t let down the president, can you?”

“See ya!” Rouge cried as she raced out of the door to make up time.

Rouge raced into the empty street of Emerald City. The streets were dark, lit only by the few lampposts along the sidewalk. The apartment buildings and the office buildings had darkened windows, only few lights were on. As Rouge wandered through the streets, she came to a fully lit warehouse.

“Bingo,” Rouge whispered, sneaking up to the door. She pulled a lock pick out of her pocket and quietly unlocked the door. She crept through the door, checking for traps and cameras. Finding none, she continued on through the hallway. Turning her communication link on, Rouge said, “Mr. President, I’m in the warehouse. I’ll continue to search for the enemies.” She turned her link off.

Along the hallway, Rouge spotted a door with light coming from the cracks. There were voices inside. Rouge, even with her big bat ears, couldn’t make out what they were saying. Rouge slowly walked forward, closer to the door. She must have made a sound loud enough to hear, because someone on the other side of the door said, “Hey, I hear someone coming! Shhhh!”

The talking stopped, and the light went out. Rouge, thinking someone dangerous was on the other side, got out her gun. “Alright, here goes nothing!” she said to herself. Rouge lunged out from next to the wall and kicked the door over, gun pointed forward, shouting “No one move! You are under arrest by the US-”

Rouge was cut short by the shout of “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!” when the light was turned on. She was so startled to see her friends and a few of her government spy buddies that she jumped backward, dropping her gun.

“Oh my gosh, you guys startled me!” Rouge said, her hand clutching her heart. Sonic walked over, and helped her up. “You forgot your birthday was today, didn’t you?” he said, laughing a little.

Shadow, Amy, Tails, and Knuckles walked over. “Why did you do this at three in the morning then?” Rouge asked Shadow.

Shadow smirked. “It’s never the wrong time to get on your nerves!” Rouge, though angry, smiled.

“I’ll admit, you sure accomplished getting on my nerves!” Rouge said. “C’mon, let’s get this party started!”

“I thought you’d never say that!” Tails said, running up to the turntables up on a stage. Instantly, music started playing. Rouge looked around to see that the government spies who were there (and were normally boring) dancing like mad.

“Hey! I didn’t know you guys could dance!” Rouge shouted. She grabbed Shadow and forced him to dance with her.

The party went on for about four more hours before they were all too tired to walk. It was about 7:00 by the time they all went home, Shadow and Knuckles both drunk. Rouge was glad that she was now one year older, being 20 instead of 19. Rouge returned to Club Rouge more tired than she was when she got up.