Sorcerer Hunters Fan Fiction ❯ A Brother's Love ❯ 11 - The Reluctant Catalyst ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

~Chapter 11~
 
 
 
Elsewhere in the forests, Carrot snarled as he continued to hack away at the undergrowth.
 
"GYAAH!! RAAAGHH!! NNGHHHH!!"
 
The bushes and trees were fairly unyielding, though. Carrot hacked at a particularly unforgiving treebranch that blocked his way; eventually it submitted to his constant sword hacks, and broke. Carrot sighed loudly, wiping his wrist over his forehead.
 
"Jeeeeeez... I don't remember all this the last time we came this way... I thought there was just a nice path and fields and stuff! Why'd Big Mama have to let me off in the middle of a bramble patch? Doesn't she want me to get Marron back or something?! Ugh, my tanktop got all ripped, damn. I liked this one, too. I'll make her sew it up for me when we get back. Jeez..."
 
Carrot looked up at the sky; it was partially obscured by taller growing trees, but the sky was somewhat visible through the upper canopy. The sun was still shining, but the sky was starting to grow that bit darker. Carrot let out another growl.
 
"And I guess that's night approaching, too... how long have I been out here!? It's gotta be a coupla days, at least... damn, Big Mama'd better transport me and Marron back at the end of this! My feet hurt! My boots are rubbing! I've got stings and scratches in places I never even knew I had, and even worse, I'M TALKING TO MYSELF!! Isn't that supposed to be a sign of madness? I don't know, I can't tell myself if I don't know! Jeez. I hope I'm going in the right direction... woulda thought that a big house like that woulda stood out, kinda... I can't even hear the river, wasn't there supposed to be a river around here somewhere? ... Yeah, I remember there being a river, because we walked alongside it the last time we were here."
 
Carrot continued on, talking loudly to no-one in particular. So what if there wasn't anyone to listen? There wasn't anyone to argue, either.
 
Eventually, Carrot's hacking and slashing led him to a slightly friendlier area, one with a flatter surface, one with less nettles and brambles to attack him when he wasn't looking. He let out a noise of relief, and ran across the area.
 
"Still! I'm determined, if night's falling again, I definitely want to get to that place before it's been dark for too long! If I'm gonna kill them while they sleep, then... then it's gonna be best if they are sleeping when I get there!"
 
Another thought occurred to him.
 
"... As long as they are actually sleeping, and all... I wouldn't wanna walk into the bedroom to find them, any of them, uh..."
 
The mental image of Radish and Marron, or Celery and Radish, or maybe even Celery and Marron played across Carrot's mind. He winced. That really wasn't a pleasant thought.
 
"If my brother's gonna lose his virginity to anyone I'd really rather it was a girl or at least Gateau or Milphey or someone friendly, just not one of them, a Sorcerer... grrr..."
 
Carrot wondered if he was being a little unfair; after all, there were many perfectly amiable Sorcerers and Sorceresses... the Lady Salad Chips was a very nice Sorcereress, and her family, even if they were a little loopy, weren't exactly dangerous, not as such. Unless Potato was playing around with magic he didn't understand, but he was a runt and an idiot anyway, he didn't count. No, when Carrot said that, he knew the type he meant. Types like... well, like Radish and Celery, if no-one else. Those Sorcerers were dangerous, there was no mistaking it. They were dangerous, and somehow Marron'd got involved with them...
 
That thought by itself was enough to make Carrot that little bit more determined as he continued to hack his way through the undergrowth. What was the pain of a few thorny brambles or stinging nettles when compared to what his brother might be going through on the behalf of those Sorcerers? Even if his mind was twisted like that... no, especially now his mind was twisted like that... it was wrong, and it was unforgivable!
 
"As soon as I catch up with them, they're gonna be dust!! Radish, I'm gonna slice him like thisandthisandthisandthis..." Carrot stabbed at a bush in front of him, reducing it to fluttering leaves and branch shards.
 
"... and Celery, I'll stab like thisandthisandthisandmaybealittleofthat..."
 
A similar fate befell another nearby bush. Carrot cackled loudly, "... they won't escape unharmed for spiritin' Marron away from us! I WON'T FORGIVE THEM! AHAHAHAHAHAH!!"
 
Celery heard the loud laughter, but passed it off as nothing. He'd been walking for an hour or so, but... maybe, in such a quiet place, laughter carried. Maybe that was Radish's happy laughter for being with Marron, though Celery wasn't sure...
 
He'd found a large, branchy tree and set about climbing it. Currently, he sat near the top of the tree, looking at the faroff sun as it set.
 
The sunset was a pretty one. The sun sat in a nest of clouds, the rays making them appear pink, orange, red, yellow... yes, the sunset was pretty. Celery hadn't been able to divert his thoughts from Radish, but at least sitting up in the tree's branches was somewhere peaceful to be, or so he'd thought. He'd frowned when he heard the laugh; keen ears picked up other noises coming closer, the stamping of running feet, the sound of something - a sword? - hacking at things... most of all it was the laugh that was the most clear, though.
 
Celery frowned. That wasn't Radish or Marron... but who else would be wandering around the woods? Maybe someone'd wandered from Ehret, but... Ehret Town itself was quite far away, no-one would randomly and accidentally wander into the woods on either side of the river, Celery was sure. Maybe it was a passing traveller who'd happened to get a little bit lost. Maybe it was someone dangerous. Either way, Celery started descending the tree as the voice came nearer, curious more than anything else.
 
Happy to find a clear path through the forests, fatigue and aches were forgotten as Carrot ran like a maniac through the forest, yelling his laughter loudly. What a relief it was to be able to run like that! He hadn't realised just how much he missed open space until he could run through it without having to destroy all the vegetation around him.
 
Carrot was so pleased, he didn't notice a tree root that stood proud from the ground, just waiting for him to run into; Carrot did so, and was sent sprawling onto his face, landing in another bush with enough noise and fuss to send nearby birds flying from where they'd started to roost for the night.
 
Celery just blinked as he dropped gracefully to the ground. He glanced around. A sword lay on the floor near a large tree, and next to the large tree was a bush; the bush shook a little too much to be passed off as natural, and besides, there was a foot sticking out of the bottom of it.
 
Celery approached the foot, dropping to a crouch next to it.
 
"Um... excuse me? Do you need some help?"
 
There was a leafy pause, then Celery heard a muffled voice.
 
"Ki-kinda... I'm sorta stuck..."
 
Celery noticed the sword, "There's a sword here. Would you like me to try and cut you out?"
 
"That'd help, thanks."
 
Carrot quietly cursed himself. Branches seemed to trap him everywhichway... okay, so he'd somehow ended up with someone to help him, which was good, but that voice was definitely male, which wasn't so good. Carrot knew the chances of meeting a pretty girl so deep into the Ehret woods were slim, but it didn't stop him from dreaming... besides, he thought the chances of meeting anyone at all were nonexistent until he reached the Salt household, but here was someone who was ready to help him.
 
"Sucks that it's not a woman, though..."
 
Celery set about carefully cutting away the bush without cutting any of the person inside it. Eventually, a dark green tanktop was visible, black bushy hair that spiked around... Celery just blinked, parting some more bushes. That was definitely familiar. And that voice... maybe... it couldn't be, could it?
 
He passed it to the back of his mind as he leant over, putting his hands on the person's shoulders.
 
"Alright, I think that, if I pull you this way and you push against the ground, we should be able to get you out of here. Okay? On three... one... two... three!"
 
Celery pulled and Carrot pushed, and Carrot emerged from the bush, leaves and twigs caught in his hair.
 
Celery's sinking feeling gave up and dropped the rest of the way as he saw the person standing in front of him. It was Carrot. What was Carrot doing here?
 
Trying to remain friendly, Celery picked at Carrot's hair.
 
"Oh, you've got all stuff trapped here, hold on a moment... twigs and leaves and- oh look, a ladybird..."
 
"HEY!"
 
Celery paused, the ladybird crawling around on his finger momentarily before flying off. Carrot stood with his finger pointed, Celery just froze.
 
"YOU'RE THAT SORCERER!"
 
Celery sighed.
 
"That's true. You're that Sorcerer Hunter. And you've still got leaves in your hair..."
 
Celery motioned towards Carrot's head. Carrot's hands shot to his hair, brushing at it.
 
"I can get them out perfectly well on my own! What the hell are you doing here?"
 
Carrot scowled, thoughts of catching the Salt brothers unaware while they slept in their beds dashed.
 
"I was just taking an evening walk, Carrot... I feel that I'm justified in my actions, living not too far away from here. I could ask you the same thing, and I will; Carrot, what are you doing here?"
 
"I've come to get my brother back! And you won't stop me!"
 
Carrot leapt for his sword, picking it up and pointing it at Celery, hoping his pose struck menace into his subject.
 
It didn't quite.
 
Celery just raised his hands, "Alright, alright. I knew that you'd return to try and get Marron back at some point, maybe not this soon, but-"
 
"Soon!? I've been in the woods for like, more than half a week now!"
 
"... Indeed. I presumed you'd come back for him, but... you're alone?"
 
"Figured it'd be quicker on my own. I just wanna get my brother back, does that have to involve everyone? Damn... I'd hoped to get you while you were asleep..."
 
Celery couldn't resist smiling slightly, "Get me? You'd hoped to kill me while I slept? I'm sorry for disappointing you, Carrot."
 
"Shut up! What are you smiling for? Why are you being so nice, anyway? I was trapped in a bush, you had a sword, you coulda killed me right then! You could kill me right now, even. Why are we even standing here talking like this?"
 
Celery shrugged, "Perhaps I just don't want to kill you, Carrot."
 
He walked away a little, walking over to a large fallen tree, and climbing up to sit on top of it. He glanced down at Carrot, who followed him up the tree.
 
"Not gonna let you get away so easily... whaddaya mean? You didn't seem so picky last time we met!"
 
The fallen tree rose Celery and Carrot's conversation about five feet into the air. Celery sat at one end of the tree, Carrot sat a couple of feet away from him; Celery lay on his back, idly stroking at the dead bark of the tree. Carrot had the tree part-straddled (as much as he could manage without severe groinal injury), and leant forward on his two hands.
 
"What is it with you? You want us all dead, we keep fighting!"
 
Celery just picked at the bark, "I know, I know... I know that we keep fighting, but... want you dead? Personally, I'd rather you lived, myself. My brother would beg to differ."
 
"Oh yeah, where is he now? I thought you guys always hung around together! Hey, maybe that's why you're not trying to kill me, maybe any moment now he's gonna leap from the tree and kill me before I can notice!"
 
Carrot glanced around quickly, almost expecting Radish to burst out of the bushes around him. Celery glanced up at Carrot's eager staring, and just smiled softly.
 
"No, it's not like that. Not... not as far as I know, anyway. He doesn't know I'm here like this... the last time I saw him, he was back at our house, out in the garden with Marron... they were playing around with flowers or something, I'm not sure. They... seemed happy, at least."
 
Carrot kicked his foot against the tree, "Bah, my little brother wouldn't be happy with a Sorcerer..."
 
Celery looked a little bit more sober, caging his hands lightly together and leaning them against his chest.
 
"I meant it when I said that Marron is no longer your brother, Carrot... perhaps our last encounter might tell you how I came to that conclusion..."
 
"It's 'cause you've done something weird to his mind, isn't it?"
 
"Yes... he's still Marron, but... as far as being your brother, for the most part... for the most part, he isn't. Or at least, he can't remember it, not at all... for... the most part."
 
Carrot brought his sword up, digging it into random parts of the dead tree, picking off flaking parts of bark as he did so.
 
"You sound like you know more than you're letting on..."
 
"You saw what he was like, Carrot. When he couldn't stop crying your name..."
 
"Ye-yeah... he... sounded like he was in so much pain..."
 
Celery nodded, "That's the part of him that won't die... it seems like he's an entirely different person, but he's not... not really. It's only because we've hidden who he really is inside himself that he's become who he is... if that makes any sense."
 
"So he's still there, then?"
 
"... He is."
 
Carrot frowned, holding his hands against either side of his sword handle, draping himself against his sword.
 
"... How come you're telling me this, though? I don't get it. I still don't get why you're not trying to kill me right now..."
 
"Maybe I don't want to kill you, Carrot. Maybe I want you to know what's happening because..."
 
Celery paused, then looked away slightly.
 
"... I- I don't know. Something needs to happen, though. Something needs to happen to change things... but the methods of change left open to us, to myself... all of them seem so hopeless. Perhaps there's a point I'm missing, or... maybe somebody else needs to bring that change."
 
"What do you mean?"
 
There was a moment's pause as Celery gathered his words together.
 
"The situation we're in at the moment... needless to say, you... don't like it, do you? Your treasured little brother trapped in the grasp of the evil Sorcerers, hm?"
 
"Ri-right..."
 
"I don't like the situation any more than you do. My brother... he's become an entirely different person for being with Marron. In a way, I don't mind how kind he's become... he seems so thoughtful and sensitive when he's around your brother, but when he's around me, he's even more spiteful and brutal than he was before... not least because he knows how I feel, he knows I don't like the idea of him and Marron... he thinks I'm selfish, that I can't see that he's happy. I can see that he's happy, but... the way he's achieved that happiness, that-... it's not right, finding happiness through magic and manipulation... through those methods he has someone who he's happy to be with, but it's only somebody of his own creation... I don't know if he realises he has somebody who'd be happy to be with him without such things, but... I don't think he cares. Marron is the only one he 'cares' about, in whatever sense of the word... or so it seems to me. Perhaps I am being selfish, but... I still don't like the situation. Carrot, do you think I'm being selfish?"
 
Carrot just blinked.
 
"Uh, I, I, I dunno..."
 
"I love my brother. Is that such a crime?"
 
"N-no, but... didn't you have some kind of... some kind of kinky thing going on with him? I- I mean, if you didn't, then, y-yeah, but the way you talked about it, uh..."
 
Celery watched Carrot's flustering with an amused glance.
 
"Yes, I have sex with my brother, Carrot."
 
Carrot blinked at Celery, before looking away, a little uncomfortable.
 
"Uh-uh huh..."
 
"I'm not trying to scare you... it's just what is, that's all. Maybe the situation makes more sense like that... if we had more of a normal relationship, perhaps I wouldn't mind Radish being with Marron, even though the situation is so wrong; in a normal circumstance, the desires that Radish would want to satiate from being with Marron, they wouldn't be things I could grant him, could they?"
 
"I, I guess not... like, uh... what?"
 
"He'd be looking for a sexual relationship with Marron and I wouldn't mind because I was his brother and wouldn't be setting out to grant him that kind of thing."
 
"Oh, I see... n-no..."
 
"However... as it stands... our relationship is like that. Up until recently, we did have sex. Quite frequently. Almost regularly. Whenever he had tension, whenever he needed release... I'd give him that release, and he knew I wouldn't argue... now, even if I ask him, he won't touch me the way he used to... that's where perhaps I'm selfish. He wants Marron like that now, but not me... why? What changed? I only gave him everything he wanted that I could possibly give him... but somehow, all of me isn't enough, I suppose."
 
Carrot caught Celery's eye, not quite smiling, but a relaxed look in his eyes.
 
"You talk a lot, don't you?"
 
Celery paused, then smiled.
 
"... Sorry. I don't think you came here to listen to my personal problems. I just have a lot on my mind, that's all... trying to figure some things out for myself. Marron can't know of my problems and Radish is the source of my problems, who else is there to voice my thoughts to? You just happened to be here."
 
"It sucks, though."
 
"Hm?"
 
"Well, y'know... I came here 'cause I wanna get Marron back and all... and he's under that weird magic stuff of yours... so... I can't really get him back without, uh..."
 
"Either we relinquish our hold on him or we're killed and it's lifted, right?"
 
"Ye-yeah... I guess I... still have to kill you, right? You're not gonna take me to your place and lift the magic on Marron while no-one's watching, are you?"
 
Celery shifted a little against the tree.
 
"If it were my choice, I might just do that, and hope that it didn't affect Marron too much. However, while I should like to do that, my brother... my brother would be more against that idea. While I have much of the hold against Marron, it's something I can't quite control, because of my brother's hold on it also. You see, our magic is linked... I'm stronger than he is, when it comes to magic. I supply it and he controls it, if you see..."
 
"So I guess it'd take both of you to lift the magic on Marron, right?"
 
Celery nodded, "It would. Voluntarily, anyway. And... the way my brother is, I... don't think he'll be lifting the magic anytime soon. He's convinced - and I believe him - that, should he lift the magic on Marron, or should it be displaced in any way, Marron will try to kill him. When he has his little... times when he can remember, he... he remembers Radish only as the person who killed his nii-... um, well, you..."
 
Carrot raised his eyebrow.
 
"Person who killed me? But I'm not dead!"
 
"Marron didn't know that. After the initial meeting at Qeran... when there was the fire, Radish broke down the barriers, saved Marron, and left the rest of you to die. As far as we knew, you, all of you, were dead. ...How did you survive, if you don't mind me asking?"
 
"Well, uh..."
 
"Was it something to do with Big Mama?"
 
Carrot nodded slightly, "Y-yeah. She saw we were in trouble and got us out of there, but she couldn't get Marron back, so for a while we thought he was dead... then we found out he wasn't, but yeah..."
 
"I see, I see. Well, we didn't see any way that you could have survived; we took Marron back to our house, which is about an hour in that direction," Celery pointed. "When he woke up, he was so angry, so upset... wanting only to wreak revenge on he who'd killed his niisan... he wanted Radish to kill him, even. Saying about how a life without his niisan wasn't one he wanted to live in..."
 
Carrot sighed, bringing one knee up onto the tree against his chest. He nodded.
 
"Yeah, that sounds like my little brother."
 
Celery bit his lip, wondering what more there was he could say without revealing too much. That which they'd seen inside Marron's mind, Marron's feelings for Carrot... Carrot obviously didn't know about those, though Celery had teased him during battle with them...
 
"... He... loves you a lot, Carrot."
 
Carrot let out a humourless laugh, "Well, he doesn't even remember who I am now, does he?"
 
"Only on the surface. Below the surface... in his dreams, in his nightmares, in the times we can't control him, he... he doesn't stop calling your name. You, Carrot, his niisan... he doesn't stop crying that name, and it makes Radish so angry when that happens... he's scared that if Marron remembers too much then he'll remember what happened at Qeran and rise up to kill him. My brother has a high sense of self-preservation."
 
Carrot brought his other leg up in front of him, balancing himself carefully on the middle of the fallen tree, digging his sword into the wood to steady himself.
 
"Yeah, well... when it's Marron he's trying to preserve himself against, I can see why. Marron can get pretty scary when he's pissed off."
 
A sigh, "And he usually only gets really pissed off because someone's hurt me, or something..."
 
Celery nodded, "His emotions for you are the most powerful, Carrot. Can you imagine his desperation when he thought you were dead?"
 
Carrot recalled how he felt when he thought that Marron was dead; that heavy feeling, that... that hopelessness... and then there were Marron's emotions, that seemed so much more powerful... there'd be those emotions, but they'd be so much powerful for being his emotions, and...
 
Carrot winced, nodding.
 
"I can, yes."
 
"That... was how Radish managed to take hold of your brother. Those feelings that he feels for you... he took them, he manipulated them, he worked them to his advantage... I'll say that for my brother, he's certainly good at manipulation. Managing to bury Marron's thoughts like that... being so brutal in the way he hypnotised..."
 
The question of 'what exactly did Radish do?' burnt on Carrot's lips, but he wasn't entirely sure he wanted to know. The whole situation sounded unpleasant enough, and it angered him enough that Radish had taken advantage of Marron's hopeless feelings like that...
 
Celery saw that Carrot was deep in thought, watching him carefully for that time. He tried to catch Carrot's line of sight.
 
"What are you thinking?"
 
"N-no, it's nothing..."
 
The look on Celery's face seemed to prompt Carrot on without saying anything at all. Carrot sighed, feeling like he couldn't win.
 
"Okay, okay... I just wanna know what Radish coulda done to Marron to make him like that, that's all... I mean, Marron's strong and stuff, he's not... it's not like he... he wouldn't just... it's not like someone could say 'okay, go evil' and he'd happily go along with it... I mean, it woulda haveta been something kinda powerful for him to even, y'know, be like that... I know you said Radish manipulated his feelings and all, but... I don't know, I guess I'm just curious how, that's all..."
 
Celery shook his head, "You probably don't want to know."
 
"No, I probably don't, but I'm curious anyway."
 
Celery spoke delicately, "My brother... took the most forbidden feelings he could find. He took those forbidden feelings, made them grow, made them intensify... the way those feelings were, the way Radish took hold of them... for the dreams that Radish made seem like were reality, Marron was his totally, lost in those dreams, the feelings he felt mixing with the feelings he felt for thinking you were dead... not only were you suddenly alive for him again, but... well, yes. In such a dream, there'd be nothing else he could concentrate on... I could only watch for the first little while, then it became too painful even for me, I can only guess what methods my brother used after that."
 
Carrot didn't quite feel like he entirely understood, "I... I see... but, uh... I dunno, I guess I don't get what kinda feelings Marron'd have for him to be able to be manipulated like that! Forbidden feelings? Does Marron even have forbidden feelings? He's someone who always seems so pure..."
 
Celery smiled softly.
 
"Sometimes you can't realise the most obvious thing about somebody... I agree with you, Marron seems so pure. For the most part, he is. Even under Radish's control, he's so kind, he's... I suppose he's how he would be if he had no memory of his life with you, and that's the only difference. He's still such a kind person. However, people's thoughts and feelings can sometimes run deeper than you'd think, and though Marron seems pure... perhaps it's just that. Maybe he only seems pure."
 
Carrot frowned, totally confused now.
 
"What, you're saying he's secretly an axe-murderer or something?"
 
"A wh-...? No, not like that..."
 
A deep sigh, "... I don't know how much I can say without betraying him. Such feelings are obviously that which would have been hidden for such a long time... obviously, he could never hope to have those feelings realised..."
 
"Without betraying him? Hey, I'm his brother, here! If there's anything I should know, then-"
 
"That's just the point, Carrot. I don't know if you should know. I... I don't know how I can tell you, or how you'd react. And as much as I'm unsure, Marron's feelings would be so much deeper than that... so perhaps I should promise to myself to keep it secret... because I don't think it would help you to know."
 
"Yeah, but I'm curious now."
 
Celery smirked slightly, "Ever hear the saying that curiosity killed the cat?"
 
"I'm not a cat!"
 
"No, but I still think it's better that perhaps you don't know. After all, maybe... maybe it was just something Radish conjured up to take hold. I don't know your brother's feelings, after all..."
 
That was a lie; from the moment Radish had looked into their minds at Qeran, the Salt brothers had known of Marron's love for Carrot, but Celery at least wanted to try and deflect Carrot's train of thought away from the current conversation. He remembered how Carrot had reacted in the battle where Celery had shown him the mental images of what Radish had shown Marron... Carrot had reacted badly then, Celery didn't want him to react badly now. Perhaps at that time he'd only thought it something that Celery had conjured up to anger him, but Celery didn't want to take that chance...
 
There was silence for a few moments, then Carrot spoke again, speaking a little quieter.
 
"Look, I know Radish is kinda insane and all or whatever, but... do you think there's any way at all I could get Marron back? I don't care about all that other stuff, not really. Just so long as I can have him back, y'know? I mean, okay, so he might be happy with Radish and all, but..."
 
Celery nodded, "As much as I love my brother, you love yours..."
 
"Well, maybe not like that, but, uh, y-yeah. If I had Marron back, then it'd be me and him, and then you'd have Radish back without Marron around, and it'd be you and him, and that'd be everything back to normal, wouldn't it?"
 
"I... I suppose it would, yes. But I can't think of any way that'd make Radish give Marron up so easily... my brother can be quite possessive; he's got it into his mind that he wants Marron, so... for the time being, nothing'll sway him. I can't say how long this'll go on for, but I can almost guarantee that, eventually, Radish's interest'll move onto something else... I don't know what he'll do then, but... I fear we won't even last that long..."
 
"Hm?"
 
"... The magic, Carrot. The Farra Kinju... it... it's killing us."
 
Carrot gasped, a little more wide-eyed.
 
"Huh?"
 
Celery just nodded, "Or so it would seem from my magic research. Even if not at this moment, I think it should eventually claim us... you've said it yourself, your brother is strong. He has a will that doesn't die; every day, that will grows stronger, and we have to maintain our power, which takes a little more out of us with each passing day... one day, I daresay it'll become too much for us. Maybe we'll die from exhaustion, from the power needed to control him... or maybe he'll just break the mind spells and kill us both for what he thinks we did. Either way, it can only bring death to us."
 
"... Does Radish know this?"
 
Celery shrugged, looking and sounding slightly more bitter.
 
"Oh, I've told him about it. He doesn't seem to care, though. He's sure that he can keep it up for as long as he wants, for as long as he wants to keep Marron then he will, I'm sure he thinks he's immortal. He needs something to drag his head out of the clouds, but I don't know what that is. He doesn't seem to realise how close death could be, or if he does, he doesn't care. He says that if Marron did break the magic, then he'd kill him. If he can't have Marron, then at least no-one else would be able to have him... jealous and possessive, that's my brother."
 
"But... you don't stop loving him, do you?"
 
Without missing a beat, Celery shook his head, "Never. I could never stop loving him. Even when he does things that are foolhardy and stupid, even when he does things as bad as this... I hate what he does, I hate the pain he causes others... I just wish I could understand that need. He seems to have such a need - or at least a want - to cause so much pain... as long as he's okay, he doesn't seem to care. I don't think he'd want me to die either, but... asides from us two, he seems to view the rest of the human race as his playthings... but if I'm the only other thing he cares about, then... I don't mind..."
 
"And now he cares for Marron..."
 
"He's had times a bit like this before, where he's seen someone he thought he wanted... but most of the time those feelings would leave him... most of the time he'd see the person and never see them again... I suppose Marron's just different because he actually managed to get the person he was after, but... I don't know. We've always been there for each other, but... I don't know if he ever really respected my feelings..."
 
Carrot leant back against the tree, staring up at the sky; night had fallen now, the stars were out. He smiled up at Celery for a moment, "I guess I get the life story now, do I?"
 
Celery laughed softly, "Not if you don't want it. It's not too interesting."
 
"Oh, I dunno. You two are weird, a bit interesting, though. How come you're like that, anyway? How come you're just so giving to Radish? I mean, well, even you've gotta admit that he's a bit of a bastard, right?"
 
"I'll admit that, but... sometimes, he can be loving. And even when he acts so angrily... he nearly always admits at the end that he loves me, or that he needs me... I can't imagine life without him, and I wouldn't want to. I guess he's just trying new things, but... I don't think he wouldn't want me around... I don't think, anyway..."
 
Carrot decided to just come out with it.
 
"Yeah, but how come you two have sex, though? Me and Marron are close and all of that, but we don't have sex!"
 
Celery laughed again, "Going straight to the things that matter, Carrot. Well, we... we were always alone, our parents died when we were young... I think Radish was too young to remember, I barely remember myself... whether they died or were killed, I don't remember."
 
Celery thought for a few moments.
 
"Maybe they were killed. I seem to remember us running away, or something... because I promised Radish I'd look after him no matter what... I think..."
 
He frowned.
 
"Hm. I don't really remember. Well, anyway, after that, we were pretty much alone. We grew up alone, and I spent all my time looking after him. After a while, we developed our magic skills, finding out what we were capable of... we'd wander around a little, but nobody really had much patience for orphaned Sorcerer children. Most of the people we encountered were Parsoners, and most of them were naturally bitter. Radish didn't really understand why he got chased away so much, but at some point, he found out he could fight back... so Parsoners could throw kitchen utensils and stones at him. He could counter with a fireball, and they wouldn't fight back from that... I guess that was him discovering he had power, anyway."
 
Carrot nodded, sitting up again, listening quietly to Celery as he continued.
 
"He'd tell me about the things he did, and I'd be shocked... 'oniisama, oniisama!! I threw a fireball at this crowd of Parsoners and they didn't get up again! I think I killed them! There musta been about ten of them there, and I got them all with just a fireball! Isn't that amazing? Aren't I powerful, oniisama?'... I'd tell him off, but I don't think he ever really took it seriously, and when he showed what he'd managed to take from those that he'd killed, it was hard to be angry. Maybe I should have tried harder to discourage his behaviour, but he generally saw it as 'that person has something I want. They won't let me have it, so I'll kill them and take it'... maybe I wasn't much of a parental figure. I'm only... what, two years older than him? Eight years old and he's already got a taste for murder. It's almost amazing, when you think about it like that."
 
When Celery looked at him, Carrot nodded, urging him to continue.
 
"I, I see... so I guess no-one told him it was wrong or anything, so..."
 
"Oh, I told him it was wrong. But Celeoniisama saying it was wrong didn't really compare to the benefits... being able to take anything he wanted, being able to eat all the fun things, get all the nice clothes, just by killing people... I guess it didn't really register, the fact that these people were human lives, people with lives and families and... well, yes. I suppose he had a somewhat black-and-white view of things... these were people who pushed him away and didn't care, so why should he care about them? Pow. Death."
 
"And it took Big Mama until a coupla months ago to send us out after you guys..."
 
"Yes, well... we have the place where we 'live', but until recently we never really came here. It was several years ago we found this place, a lovely mansion, hidden away in the forests... a perfect hidden base to stay... okay, so there were some people living there, but what did that matter? Kill them, take their house, why not? No-one's argued with it so far."
 
Carrot nodded again, "Yeah... so I guess there's that, but... I still don't get where you guys having sex comes into it all."
 
Celery faltered, scratching the back of his neck.
 
"Ye-yes, well..."
 
He composed himself, coughing slightly.
 
"Radish found, from an early age, that he could manipulate people with magic... then, once the tender years of puberty hit in, he found there was another way of manipulating people..."
 
Celery smiled, almost fondly.
 
"I suppose we were both confused, neither of us really knew what we were doing. I had the feelings before he did, as I said, I'm older than him, but... the feelings, I'd never really known what they were... sometimes my body felt like it was frozen, sometimes I just felt so numb... perhaps I was a little scared, but it wasn't as if there was anybody to tell us what such feelings were, after all. I never mentioned the feelings to Radish, though. The feelings would pass, then I'd forget... however, then he started having the feelings..."
 
Celery hugged his knees to his chest, idly picking at the edge of his cape.
 
"He just looked so scared that one night... 'Oniisama, what's happening?'... and I looked, and I saw, and I recognized on him the feelings I'd felt within my own body... he just threw himself into my arms, saying about how strange he suddenly felt... I comforted him, telling him that I too had felt those feelings... even though I didn't know what they were, at least we knew that we both shared them... Radish had tears in his eyes, but he was so glad that I was with him... the way our bodies moved, he told me it felt better when we moved like that... we were just children experimenting, but... it just felt so good, and nobody told us to stop, or that it was wrong, so... we didn't."
 
Carrot sighed, "I guess you wouldn't..."
 
"Radish knew he could manipulate me through tears... I hated it when he cried, and if he wanted me to do something, if he cried, I just... I just couldn't let him cry. Then when I woke up and found him upon me, his hands so soft, his... his tongue moving like that..."
 
Carrot wasn't quite sure he wanted to listen to any more of that, but kept quiet.
 
"... as much as his tears moved me, that moved me even more. Nothing else mattered, he just made me feel so good... and when I'd do similar things to him, he'd say about how he never wanted to be with anyone except for me, how he never wanted to be apart from me... we were slaves to each other's power. As long as one continued, the other didn't mind... and even when he got so angry about things, so frustrated... he'd return to my arms, and even if it was just working off that anger and frustration, it was still that bonding, still that feeling, and suddenly it was as if those things didn't matter, because... we still had each other..."
 
Carrot let out his breath, seeing the mist in front of him in the cold night's air for a few moments before it disappeared.
 
"Whew. You have such a good memory of all these things..."
 
"Why, don't you remember what puberty was like?" Celery sounded ever so slightly mocking.
 
"It's not that, but... I don't know, it's... well, I don't know, that's just it. I guess it's 'cause my dad was at least around to tell us what was what..."
 
"What about your mother?"
 
"She died when we were young..."
 
Celery nodded, 'oh'ing. "I'm sorry..."
 
Carrot shook his head, "It's alright. Nah, but... I remember being sat on dad's knee when I was... I dunno, it was before it all started, anyway... and him saying about how there were going to be some Very Special Changes happening in me, and that I shouldn't worry because it was all absolutely normal, but if I did worry about it or anything, then I could talk to him all about it and stuff... 'course, I had no clue what he was going on about. I think he was kinda embarrassed, and he never actually said what the Very Special Changes were..."
 
Carrot looked thoughtful for a moment, "I seem to remember one time though, there was a storm or something, and Marron was in my bed, and... y'know, it happened... and I didn't know what the hell was going on, but I remember being worried outta my head that he'd notice and all..."
 
Celery smiled warmly, amused.
 
"Childhood innocence, hm?"
 
"Yeah... I guess things like that are kinda innocent, aren't they? Touchin' and stuff, I mean, you're too young to know it's wrong or anything, and... well, if it's with someone you trust so much, then..."
 
"You and Marron too, then?"
 
Carrot blushed, laughing nervously.
 
"We-well, only, y'know, once or twice, just a little, ha ha ha... 'cause, you know, he was nervous and all, so I had to tell him it was okay, but he was still scared, so I said that it was okay to touch it, and that it'd feel real good then it'd go away, but I think he thought it'd grown teeth and was gonna bite his hand off or something, so, ya know, I just sorta helped things along a bit... ha ha ha ha ha..."
 
Carrot coughed self-consciously.
 
"... still, we just grew out of it, y'know? After he'd seen how mine worked and I showed him how his worked, we kinda, uh, went at it on our own, then we got another Little Talk about, y'know, the birds and the bees and everything, and then it all became a little clearer..."
 
"Well, Radish and I never had any parental figure to talk about that sort of thing. I'm not convinced to this day that Radish would know what to do with a woman if one walked in front of him, stripped naked and went 'take me now'... though I'm pretty sure he'd get the hang of it."
 
"He's never liked them before?"
 
Celery shrugged slightly, "He knows about them, but he's not exactly had much feminine influence. Of course, he never knew our mother, and he never differentiated between those who he killed... he just likes who he likes, if he wants to go after someone then he will, male or female. Though if he remains attracted to the same sex, then perhaps that's better. Somehow I don't think Radish would make too good a father, do you?"
 
"Probably not."
 
Celery put on a false baby voice, "'Daddyyy, can I have that toy?'... 'Sure, son, which one?'... 'The one that other boy is playing with!'... 'Let me teach you how to aim, first...'"
 
The two laughed at that, Celery nodding.
 
"Yes, somehow I can see that happening all too easily. God forbid my brother ever become a father."
 
Both became quieter, Celery thinking about Radish, and Carrot thinking about how he felt oddly close to this strange Sorcerer for the time being. Celery sighed, a sad smile on his face.
 
"I suppose we both have our memories from the past that endear us into the future. Despite his failings, I can't help but love my brother... these days it seems such a burden to him, he seems to hate that I care for him, but... on the other side, he needs me to care. We've only ever had each other, Carrot... I suppose him and Marron is him experimenting with someone else, trying new things... I just wish he didn't have to go so over the top to experiment, though. Maybe he wanted to try it with someone who wasn't his brother, but... I'm sure he could have found somebody who didn't need to be brainwashed, someone who'd love him for himself... and even though I'd probably feel just as distant and upset by it all, at least it wouldn't be quite as dangerous as this situation..."
 
Carrot nodded, "Mmm... he just doesn't get the whole consequences thing, and I guess it's too late to try and get him into it now..."
 
"I know. Like when he raped Marron, that has to be the firs-"
 
"Wait."
 
Celery paused, then realised what he'd said; he winced. Carrot was sat bolt upright on the tree now, staring at Celery with such a steady glare... his brow twitched continually, seeming trapped between shock and anger.
 
"When he... did... what?"
 
Celery looked to the side, looking pained. Carrot spoke so quietly...
 
"I'm sorry, Carrot. I didn't mean to talk about that, I-"
 
"You weren't going to tell me?"
 
Celery chanced a look up at Carrot; he looked shocked now, but...
 
"I didn't want you to know... I... Marron doesn't remember it, we- I sealed his memories away, I never want him to remember what my brother did to him..."
 
"THAT BASTARD!!!"
 
And there was the anger. Celery half expected Carrot to attack him, he quietly pressed himself against the tree, readying himself for attack. Carrot stood up now, but he didn't seem to be making any kind of advance upon Celery. He just stared in the direction where Celery had said the Salt household was, his eyes shining with anger, his fists clenched... Celery could see his body shake from where he sat.
 
"Carrot...?"
 
"THAT BASTARD, DOING SOMETHING LIKE THAT TO MY LITTLE BROTHER!! I'LL KILL HIM!!"
 
Carrot performed an impressive jump from the fallen tree onto the ground, and started running off along the path that would eventually lead him to the house; Celery realised Carrot's motivation and leapt up quickly, running after Carrot, putting on a burst of speed that enabled him to catch up with Carrot; for a moment he debated using magic to stop Carrot in his tracks, but then remembered Carrot's powers of Zooanthropy; a different method would have to be employed.
 
Celery ran for a few moments, picking his moment carefully; he jumped, managing to grab Carrot's shoulders, pushing him forward until he fell over.
 
The two of them remained like that for a few moments; Carrot didn't say anything, remaining pinned under Celery's hold, his breathing rapid through exertion and emotion.
 
Celery carefully sat up, not convinced Carrot wasn't going to shoot off from underneath him the second he let go; to be safe, he kept hold of Carrot's shoulders.
 
"... Carrot..."
 
Carrot spoke quietly enough again, but the anger that burnt in that voice was all too plain to hear.
 
"Let go of me, Celery."
 
"Carrot, if you're going to go off after my brother, I, I can't let you... if you faced him like this, it'd do you no good at all! My brother wants you dead enough as it is, if you were to go after him like this, then you'd only end up dying a foolhardy death..."
 
Carrot pushed Celery away from him, rolling onto his back, sitting up.
 
"Celery, I have to find that bastard and tear each limb from his body, can't you understand?! He... he raped Marron...!"
 
Celery nodded, "I know he did."
 
There was a moment's pause; Carrot seemed to be staring at a small patch of grass just beside Celery's right hand. His expression changed, never moving his eyes from that grass.
 
"... How come, though? Why? I... I mean... Radish already has him and everything, why... why do something like that to him?"
 
Celery sighed, "I know it's no excuse, but... he got angry, Carrot. Before the battle, Radish wanted to reassert his hold on Marron, make sure that Marron wouldn't have any flashbacks in the middle of the battle, when faced with you... I can't guess what made my brother angry like that, but... he was so shocked afterwards, and... Marron only said... your name, while... it happened... I suppose that only fuelled my brother's anger, but..."
 
Carrot hugged himself tightly.
 
"He... he was calling for my help, I guess..."
 
Not quite, Celery thought.
 
"... he was calling for me while something like that was happening, and I couldn't even... I wasn't even anywhere nearby, I couldn't do anything, I... god, I... I'm so worthless as a big brother..."
 
Carrot threw his face into his hands, sighing a deep, shuddering sigh. Celery frowned, confused. Carrot's moods seemed to switch so rapidly... he reached out, placing an uncertain hand on Carrot's shoulder.
 
"There wasn't anything you could have done, Carrot..."
 
"That doesn't mean I'm not gonna feel bad about it, is it?! I mean, jeez... he's... he's my little brother, he's... well, he means so much to me, y'know? I only wanna make sure he's okay and everything, look after him and stuff... and maybe I'm a bit crap when it comes to that, but he's so much more mature and stuff, and half the time it's him protecting me, but... when something really bad, I mean, really bad happens... I can't... I can't even stop that from happening..."
 
Carrot's head emerged from between his hands, he pulled his knees up and held his head between his hands. Celery noted how Carrot's hands seemed to clench... he sighed.
 
"As I said, though... afterwards, my brother was so shocked... he wanted me to use a magic spell, make him forget, make Marron forget... but if Radish forgot, who's to say that something similar wouldn't happen again? As much as I hate to see my brother in pain, I think it's important that he learn some kind of moral value, even if he has to learn it the hard way... with him, I don't think there's any other way."
 
"... but you made Marron forget..."
 
Celery nodded, "I don't think anything would have been gained from letting him keep that memory. If something like that happened to you, wouldn't you just want to forget about it?"
 
Carrot rocked back and forth, "I... I don't know... god, I still can't believe that, though... Radish... Radish raped him... my little brother, he... he had that happen to him..."
 
Carrot lay down abruptly on the grass, staring up at the sky again.
 
"... I just want to get him back. If your house is only an hour in that direction then it means that Marron's only an hour in that direction, and... I just want to see him again. When I saw him at that battle, he seemed in such pain, and before that, we thought he was dead, and... it's been so long since I last saw him and he was normal or as normal as Marron gets anyway, and... jeez... it just hurts, I miss him so much, then you go and tell me about that and it makes me feel even worse... and... I just want to get him back, but I don't even know what I can do... I feel so damned hopeless..."
 
Celery leant forward, Carrot just watched, a little confused. He wondered what exactly Celery was doing, reaching around his waist like that, but then Celery reared back with Carrot's sword in his hand; he held the sword up, watching it reflect the moonlight, then brought it down again, holding the blade carefully, offering the handle to Carrot.
 
"You came here because you wanted to kill me, Carrot. You wanted to kill me, kill my brother, and bring your brother back. If you killed me... if you killed me, I don't know what it would do to Marron, but at least part of the control over him would be lifted, wouldn't it?"
 
Carrot took the sword handle, not entirely sure what Celery was suggesting.
 
"... Celery?!"
 
He reached out for the sword's blade, positioning it against his chest.
 
"I don't know how much control my brother could keep over Marron once my power was gone; perhaps the effort taken to keep Marron controlled would drive him mad... maybe Marron would break through the control, and kill Radish himself."
 
"Celery, what are you saying, here?"
 
"You came here with my death in mind; I'm saying... I'll let you kill me, Carrot."
 
Carrot batted the sword away quickly before Celery could do anything else, "No!"
 
"No?"
 
"I don't wanna kill you!"
 
Celery's look relaxed, he smiled, but looked so sad...
 
"I'm a Sorcerer, Carrot. You're a Sorcerer Hunter. Isn't it part of the job description, kill all the evil Sorcerers?"
 
"Yeah, well, not all Sorcerers are evil, are they? I know plenty of nice Sorcerers! Not all Sorcerers are evil... you're not evil!"
 
"You don't think so?"
 
"No! We've been talking for a while, I think you're an okay guy... I couldn't just kill you like that!"
 
Celery shook his head.
 
"An 'okay guy'? Perhaps I'm calmer than my brother, it's true... but who is more unforgivable, the one who causes the evil or he who stands by and lets that evil happen? Radish is uncontrollable, but I've hardly tried to control him... no, that's untrue. I've tried, but I don't know how hard I've tried... somehow, the things he does... because he's my brother, I can somehow forgive them. ...Actually, no. Not 'forgive'... I can't forgive him for all the lives he's claimed, all the pain he's caused... but... aside from being a homicidal pyromaniac, he's also my brother... and I just watch as he does all this evil..."
 
Celery's voice broke slightly as he picked Carrot's sword up again.
 
"... while he was raping your brother, your brother, Carrot... I just stood outside, I waited for him to finish so I could tell him what I'd gone to him to say. I could have gone in there, I could have stopped him, I could have tried to save Marron, but I didn't... all the time, I could have tried to save him, but I didn't... in Qeran, I didn't need to help him take Marron back to our house. I didn't need to lead you and your friends into the inferno; I could have gone and found Radish myself..."
 
"We might not have escaped if we hadn't been trapped, though..."
 
"Even so, Qeran's being rebuilt, isn't it? The town survived, you could have survived also. When my brother was doing what he did to Marron's mind, I just stood by and watched... it was wrong, so wrong, but could I have stopped him? ...Probably. I'm stronger than he is, when it comes to magic I have so much more control over myself than he does... I could have blocked out Marron's mind and prevented Radish's magic from touching him, I could have stopped him, but I never did... Carrot, am I not just as evil as my brother for letting such things happen?! The only thing required for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing. And what have I done? I've just let my little brother do whatever he wanted, because I never wanted to stop him, because it was what he wanted to do... and I never thought there was any reason to stop him, but... I shouldn't have let him start in the first place. We shouldn't have survived. Who or whatever killed our parents should have killed us too, it would have done the whole world a favour... so kill me, Carrot. I don't know what else I can do."
 
Celery stopped, just staring at Carrot, still holding the sword to his chest. His chest heaved with his emotion, and tears came when he next spoke.
 
"Carrot, just take the sword. I'm evil, you vanquish evil... I don't mind, Carrot!... Please..."
 
Carrot shook his head, "No... I... I can't kill you, Celery...! Radish is the one with the problem, not you... you don't need to keep beating yourself up over it... even if you keep saying it, I don't believe that you're evil. Radish, he's totally evil, but... he's just a maniac. If we kill Radish, then you can just let go of the magic hold thing you've got on Marron, right? You don't need to die!"
 
Celery looked slightly disbelieving.
 
"If we... if we kill Radish...?"
 
"Yeah. If we kill him, then it means he won't carry on hurting people, doesn't it?"
 
"N-no, Carrot... I... I couldn't kill my brother... I... I could never forgive myself..."
 
"But you were just asking me to kill you! Do you think I could kill you any easier than that?" He let out a deep sigh, "It's just a hard situation, I guess... but you don't need to die, Celery... Radish is the root the problem here."
 
"... To kill my brother..."
 
Celery sounded so empty when he said that; Carrot looked at him with sympathy, wondering how he'd feel if someone had suggested that he kill Marron for the good of the world; he understood Celery's nervousness.
 
"Look, I know how it is, I've got a younger brother myself, and he means more to me than anything else in the world... and... if someone said that maybe I should kill him, I don't know what I'd want to do, but... I don't think I'd be able to do it, I... I wouldn't wanna hurt Marron. And you don't wanna hurt Radish, do you?"
 
Carrot realised that Celery was still holding the sword pointing at his chest. Carrot took the sword and replaced it into his scabbard; no use tempting fate.
 
"No... no, I don't... he can't be allowed to continue on like how he is now, but... I don't want to hurt him, or try to confine him... he can't be controlled, Carrot. He'd hate me, and... I don't want him to hate me... even though just a few hours ago, he said maybe I should die..."
 
"Huh? He said that? What a bastard."
 
"He then said that he hated me for caring for him, and that he hated himself for wanting me to care, so... I... I don't know. Perhaps he just wants a life without me, but... I don't know if I could grant him that... twenty years I've been on this planet, Carrot. Eighteen of those years with my brother by my side. I... I've given him everything I can, but if the one thing he wants is to be rid of me, then... I can't give him that. I can't live without him. I couldn't kill him."
 
"But just now, you wanted me to kill you..."
 
"I don't know if he wants me to live or to die. I don't think he'd notice if I died... and maybe I'd be reunited one day with him in hell... and I'd protect him there too... it doesn't matter if I live or die, but as long as my brother's alright..."
 
Carrot reached over and shook Celery by the shoulders, "You're going to heaven, okay? Don't even think about that!"
 
Celery looked at Carrot for a moment, then looked away.
 
"... We're going to die, anyway. If I could live this life with my brother by my side, that would be my perfect life... but I severely doubt either of us will grow too much older... all of this aside, the Farra Kinju makes us that little bit worse with each day. It's always there, always in the back of my mind... we're bound by our magic, and while one has control the other can't... I don't know. It's always there, and it's hard to even forget about it... I curse the name of the Sorcerer Aboros for ever creating such a thing. And even if the Farra Kinju hadn't claimed us, there are those who no doubt want Radish dead for the things he's done in the past... Parsoners, Sorcerer Hunters, other Sorcerers... we're not popular, Carrot. If we don't die one way, we'll only die another. I don't want to kill my brother, I don't want anybody else to hurt him either... but it's inevitable..."
 
The tears again.
 
"I don't want him to die, but one way or another, he's going to die, and I can't stop it... I'd die to protect my brother, but I can't protect him from himself, from the things that he does! It's all so hopeless..."
 
Carrot leant back into a kneel, looking to the side.
 
"I don't know what to say anymore... I don't know if there's anything I can do. I want to get Marron back, but... the only way to get him back, I suppose, is for... is to kill Radish... but you don't want him dead, and I totally don't blame you for that... I don't know. I just don't know."
 
Celery didn't know either; neither said anything.
 
Suddenly, Carrot was aware of... some kind of light? He frowned, looking up, shielding his eyes. By this point, the light had grown stronger, and Celery had noticed it too; both stared at the light, Celery sounding amazed, "What is that?"
 
Carrot gasped, "Bi- Big Mama!"
 
She nodded.
 
"Yes, Carrot..."
 
"What are you doing here? I haven't even got Marron back yet! Huh? Wha! Wait, n-NO!"
 
Carrot couldn't stop Big Mama as she raised her hand, covering Carrot in the red light that would transport him back to Eden. Celery watched, awe-stricken by this woman's presence. Carrot disappeared from view, Celery just blinked.
 
"... did you walk a long way in such a big dress?"
 
He winced, aware that what he'd said sounded quite, quite stupid. Big Mama just smiled.
 
"It's not a problem. However, Celery Salt... I understand that you have a problem..."
 
Celery looked to the side, nodding silently.
 
"... this problem... you cannot rely on others to solve the problem. Whatever end this situation comes to, it must come about by your own hand, and you must summon it up with your own courage."
 
"My... my own courage? Wh... what?"
 
Big Mama crouched down next to Celery, smiling softly, putting one hand to his chest.
 
"Your own courage must come from within; the love you carry might transform itself into courage."
 
Celery didn't know what to make of that; he was about to call for Big Mama to wait, but before he could say anything, she glowed with a bright light, and was gone, leaving Celery alone in the forest.
 
"... that was... unexpected."
 
He put a hand to his chest, where Big Mama had touched him. He felt warm, somehow.
 
"... from within? From my love?"
 
Celery picked himself up, glancing around, just in case Carrot or Big Mama might jump out from behind a tree at him; they didn't, he sighed, and decided to head back to the house.
 
"I don't know what to do... but... I suppose that, whatever I do, I'll have to decide for myself, so..."
 
Feeling quietly confused, Celery dropped into silence as he talked through the forests, wondering just what options were left to him. He stopped as he realised; Carrot hadn't wanted him to die? That was a strange feeling; someone didn't want him to die.
 
Celery smiled. Perhaps, for the time being, he should try to stay alive, for Carrot's sake if for nobody else.
 
****
 
The next morning was another beautiful one. Radish, for some reason, had woken up just before sunrise, and couldn't get back to sleep again. So he'd busied himself with little things; watching the gorgeous sunrise, taking a bath, wandering down to the kitchen to consider breakfast... remembering that he didn't really know how to cook, so he could wait until Celery woke up, Celery would undoubtedly cook breakfast.
 
Radish paused. Him and Celery seemed to have a little rift going on, but... he shrugged. Hopefully that wouldn't stop him from preparing breakfast.
 
Walking back up the stairs, Radish wondered what to do next. Maybe go back to bed and sleep for a little longer? It wasn't as if there was anything going to happen that especially required waking up early. Or maybe he could visit Marron, see if Marron was awake yet... and if he wasn't, it'd be nice just to watch him while he slept, because Marron was just so beautiful...
 
Or, of course, he could visit Celery's bedroom and see when breakfast would be served. Radish's hunger called out to him loudest of all, he decided that that was a good idea.
 
Opening Celery's bedroom door, Radish realised that Celery wasn't in there. Radish frowned. Where else would Celery be? Maybe he was taking a bath.
 
However, Celery wasn't in the first bathroom, nor was he in the second... a quick check back into his own room, and also into Marron's room, Celery wasn't in either of those places. Radish checked through the window in the upper corridor also, he didn't seem to be out in the garden... maybe he'd gone for a morning walk? Maybe he'd gone downstairs, and Radish had missed him while he was in one of the other rooms. Radish quickly descended the stairs, checking his magic studies room... Celery wouldn't be in there, and Radish was right, he wasn't. Celery wasn't studying at his desk, he wasn't in the old pantry, he wasn't in the front room, the kitchen... perhaps in his greenhouse? Radish checked there also, but he wasn't there.
 
Standing in front of the sash door to the kitchen, Radish frowned, his hands on his hips. Where else would Celery be? He tried reaching out with his mind.
 
"Oniisama? Oniisama, are you around here?"
 
Radish realised that attempting to talk to him when he didn't even know where he was was a little tricky. Either way, he received no answer back.
 
Unsure of where else to look, Radish kicked around the garden for a little while. Running down one side of the garden was a smaller offshoot of the larger river down below. Radish ran back to the greenhouse and went down the little path to the side, looking off into the woods beyond. Maybe Celery had gone fruit-picking? Some of the trees out there gave apples, but... then again, so did some of the trees in the garden, and they hadn't come to fruit yet. So he wasn't picking apples.
 
Radish wandered to the other side of the garden. Maybe he'd gone for a walk? That was the only thing Radish could think of. Maybe he'd woken up early, seen the sunrise, thought it was a nice opportunity for a walk... standing near the edge of the garden, Radish looked down to the river down below.
 
Maybe Celery was down by the river?
 
Radish decided to check anyway, running around the side of the rosebush near the edge, and finding the path that went down to the stony shore.
 
The path itself was overgrown by tall green broad-leaf plants, but Radish managed to make his way through. He burst out at the bottom, jumping the small gap between the end of the path and the stones that separated the bank from the river. He glanced around; Celery didn't seem to be at this part of the river, anyway... however, there was the area that Radish stood at, and the other area, the area closer to the bridge; perhaps he was there. Radish looked over, and felt relief as he saw Celery, sitting underneath the bridge... skimming stones? That was what it seemed like.
 
Radish jumped up and down, trying to attract Celery's attention.
 
"ONIISAMA, ONIISAMA!"
 
Celery looked up; Radish couldn't quite see him from being so far away, but he at least seemed shocked.
 
"RADISH? WHAT ARE YOU DOING THERE?"
 
"WAIT THERE, I'LL COME TO YOU."
 
A sensible person would have gone up the path near the rosebush, walked along the back edge of the garden, then found the path near the bridge that led down to the river. However, Radish was not a sensible person, and so leapt with none-too-much grace into the water that separated the shore where he stood from the shore where Celery stood.
 
"RADISH!"
 
Celery ran over.
 
"Radish, the water's cold!"
 
A short swim later, Radish climbed out of the water and stood up next to Celery, shaking himself off.
 
"Brrr, I'll say. Damn, I just had a hot bath, too... well, ain't got nothing better to do with my day, I might as well take another one later... I was looking all over the house for you! How long've you been down here?"
 
Celery was somewhat bemused by his brother's concern.
 
"Ah... I'm not sure. It was dark when I first came down here, so..."
 
"I only woke up at sunrise, I guess you were up and about before me. Oh well. So how's oniisama on this bright happy morning?"
 
Celery just blinked at Radish.
 
Radish seemed so happy... and just the previous night, he'd been angry, been talking about how he'd rather perhaps Celery died, how it'd be easier... Celery frowned, Radish noticed that frown.
 
"Something wrong, oniisama?"
 
"Radish... Radish, last night... you were so hateful..."
 
Radish waved his hand, dismissing the topic as he walked past Celery, heading to the area where Celery had sat in the first place.
 
"Yeah, yeah, well. You know. I just get like that sometimes, I can't be bothered for all that kind of stuff this morning. Have you eaten yet? I'm hungry. Wanna eat breakfast."
 
Celery shook his head with a slight smile, following his brother.
 
"Thinking with your stomach..."
 
"You should teach me to cook one of these days, oniisama!"
 
"The last time we tried an Oniisama's Cooking Class, you almost set the kitchen ablaze. Myself, I'd like to keep the kitchen the way it is, and if that means I have to do all the cooking, then I don't mind."
 
Radish sat himself down on a large rock, not quite below the bridge, laughing quietly for a moment. Celery sat on Radish's right side, sitting slightly taller than his brother.
 
For a few moments, they just quietly watched the river. Occasionally, small fish would jump above the water, landing back in again with a tiny splash, often un-noticeable amongst the white melee of swirling water further downstream. The trees that grew alongside the river, some seemed burdened by some invisible weight, leaning down, letting their smaller branches be taken by the river; enough to be swept along, but not enough to part from the mother tree. Ducks and other riverside creatures were occasionally visible amongst the leaves. Trees that grew higher above almost blocked the sun, but not quite... the sun shone down on Radish as it did to Celery, and in some places, the river seemed dappled with sunlight; where the sun shone it's brightest on the river, the river became clear, and plants and animals could be seen underneath the surface of the water... Celery let his body relax slightly. It was a simple pleasure, to watch the river so silently...
 
The quieter part of the river was disturbed for a moment by a skimmed stone; once, twice, thrice it hit the water, and on the fourth impact, it sunk. Radish sat for a moment, hand frozen in the position he'd thrown the flat stone... then turned to face Celery, smiling.
 
"Good one, huh?"
 
"Yes, that was quite good, otouto... here, let me try one."
 
Celery glanced down at the stones around him, mentally rejecting those his eyes fell across, looking for one most suitable. Finding one, he picked it up, brushing undersoil - undersand? - from it, holding it between his thumb and forefinger for a few moments, then flicking his wrist quickly, let the stone go.
 
It skipped across the water five times before the flow of the river captured it. Radish made a noise of appreciation.
 
"Wow... oniisama's so good at things like that!"
 
Celery laughed self-consciously, "Ahaha, well... I've been here since before dawn doing nothing more than watching the river and skimming stones."
 
"Had fun?"
 
"It's been relaxing, yes."
 
Another silence, but not uncomfortable. Celery allowed himself a small smile. Radish's anger... Radish could be angry, but... that anger never lasted. True, his happiness never exactly lasted either, and he could swap between the two moods with frightening precision, but for the moment he was happy, he was calm, and in turn, that calmed Celery. So what if he'd been angry last night? Radish seemed to have forgotten that now. If Radish could, Celery hoped that he could also.
 
He glanced slightly at his brother. Radish just stared forward, seemingly captivated by the trees that dipped into the river... it was so nice to spend time together like that, quiet, calm, relaxed, happy... Marron was most likely still asleep, Celery wondered if Radish's thoughts were of Marron... he decided against looking into his brother's mind. That would likely wreck the mood somewhat.
 
"He's my brother... and more than anybody else... I love him..."
 
Celery quietly reached out, taking Radish's hand beneath his own. Radish looked quickly at Celery when he felt the contact, but met only his brother's warm smile.
 
"... Oniisama?"
 
"I like to be close to you like this, otouto. When it's quiet. When we're alone like this."
 
Radish glanced away, "Ye-yes, I know you do, but..."
 
Celery didn't want to risk the mention of Marron's name in such idyllic circumstances, and so silenced his brother's voice with a kiss that captured.
 
Radish's eyes opened wide with surprise, but he couldn't quite pull away. Celery still held his hand, and his other hand stroked against Radish's cheek, holding it so gently... if he wanted, really wanted to pull away, Radish would have been able to, but somehow... somehow, he didn't want to.
 
He closed his eyes, letting the kiss control him for a few moments. After those few moments, Celery pulled away, and Radish leant back a little further on the rock he sat on.
 
"Oniisama..."
 
"Don't mention his name... not just now. Not while it's just us."
 
Another kiss, Celery's body leaning across Radish's own. He shifted slightly, and Celery moved across just a little more. Not quite on top of Radish, but close enough. The sounds of the river seemed quiet as Radish let himself be tamed, just for a little while.
 
Celery moved to Radish's neck, causing a slight gasp. Radish shook his head a fraction.
 
"Oniisama, we shouldn't... we don't know when he'll wake up... and if he wakes up to find both of us missing, then..."
 
"Then what? Maybe he'll think we're studying magic, or perhaps that we went for a walk. It's only early, Radish... he might not even wake up for another few hours. Which gives us ample time, I think..."
 
"Oniisama, you're not suggesting..."
 
Celery's hand gently ran it's way down Radish's body, feeling where material clung to wet skin. The sun had already dried Radish a little, but still his body felt damp. Celery couldn't help a slight smirk.
 
"What am I not suggesting?"
 
Radish just stared at Celery, wondering what to say. Did he want to say that he didn't want to do that? That he didn't want to risk getting caught? Any of that?
 
Looking into Celery's deep green eyes... no, he didn't want to say any of that. He wanted to say 'Take me, oniisama', and have Celery obey...
 
There wasn't any reason not to, so Radish indeed said that, and Celery obeyed.
 
Radish's gasps were quick, not quite the loud cries Celery was used to, but Celery was usually the one gasping, the one being taken... however, it was what his brother had requested, and he didn't mind.
 
Looking at his brother so taken like that... Radish almost seemed delicate, though Celery knew that that was extremely not the case. But even so... last night, the way he and Carrot had talked... they'd talked of... perhaps... killing... Radish?
 
Celery held Radish close as he cried his name, "Radish, my brother... could I kill you? If I don't, then another will, but... for as long as you live, I want you to be mine..."
 
The irrational thought boiled deeper within him; he wanted to be a little selfish... perhaps the Sorcerer Hunters could be killed, after all. Carrot and those others could be killed, Radish could keep Marron, Celery would stay with Radish, and all would be some hopeful semblance of happiness.
 
Still upon and within Radish, resting upon the rock, basking in the warm afterglow, Celery looked down at his little brother. Radish's eyes were closed, and his breathing heavy. Celery felt slight pain at where Radish had grasped his shoulders that bit too hard, but that pain was nothing, not compared to other forms of pain he'd experienced from the same person.
 
It quietly dawned on Celery, though... killing the Sorcerer Hunters, keeping Marron... that wouldn't bring happiness. It might for Radish, who'd be happy enough to keep Marron close, but... Celery would still feel the angry loneliness whenever he felt slighted and rejected in favour of Marron's company, and asides from that, there was still the matter of the Farra Kinju, killing them slowly...
 
The day wore on; Marron had still been asleep when Radish and Celery returned from beside the river. Radish took another bath, Celery settled for a shower, then proceeded to make breakfast. Marron woke up, seeming a little groggy from having just woken up, but happy enough. And Radish was happy enough to see Marron. Celery served breakfast and was cheerfully ignored by Radish, who accepted the food but talked continually to Marron. Celery wondered just what it was someone could talk about for so long... none of their conversations seemed too intellectually stimulating, Radish wasn't that kind of person, but both Radish and Marron seemed happy enough, and neither complained.
 
Celery spent the rest of the day quietly observing his brother. He read a book, sitting out on one side of the lawn while Radish and Marron walked around on the other, talking a bit, Radish making playful passes, then they sat down under the parasol, watching the river from on high.
 
Celery just watched from behind his halfmoon glasses and dusty tome.
 
Something had to change, that was as much as he'd decided. Something had to change, and there seemed to be several routes for that change...
 
Carrot and the other Sorcerer Hunters could be killed. That would solve the problem of Marron's flashbacks and wants to be with his niisan; Carrot would be dead, and therefore that would be fulfilled. Perhaps he'd still have nightmares, but there'd be nothing that could be done about that... and maybe if he saw Carrot dead, he'd realise that that person was dead, and stop thinking about him. However, that meant that Big Mama would only send out more Sorcerer Hunters. No doubt they could be dealt with easily enough, but still, it'd be tiresome. Or they might become stronger, and perhaps Celery and Radish would be pitted against a fight they just couldn't win... and if Carrot and the others died, and Celery and Radish were killed, what would follow on for Marron from there? And even if they did manage to defeat all the Sorcerer Hunters Big Mama sent after them, the Farra Kinju was still there, and Radish would still largely ignore Celery. So that idea wasn't perfect.
 
Perhaps Marron could be killed. Radish would no doubt be unhappy with Celery for that, though. It could be staged as an accident, perhaps push him out of a window and pass it off as a sudden suicide, or knock him out, throw him in the river, and when Radish wondered where Marron had gone, Celery could just pass it off as nothing, say that maybe Marron went for a walk, and then he'd never come back... that would solve the problem of the Farra Kinju. The Sorcerer Hunters would be distraught at Marron's death, if they figured it out at all, but Celery realised that most of his solutions involved more Sorcerer Hunters being sent anyway. Killing Marron had a vague charm to it in that Radish would be his and his alone once more, and getting rid of Marron would nullify the hold the Farra Kinju had on the both of them... however, Radish would likely notice the lack of the magic pull, and there was no conscience like a guilty conscience; even if Celery did stage Marron's death to look like an accident, it'd always be there in his mind, that he was the one who killed Marron. On finding that out, it was likely that Radish would be the one to kill Celery... so that solution wasn't perfect either. And Marron wasn't exactly somebody that Celery wanted to kill, anyway.
 
A less drastic solution was the one that Celery quite liked. Marron could be delivered back to the Sorcerer Hunters, the magic could be lifted. He'd go back to his life, and Radish and Celery would go back to theirs. Things would be like they were before, and life would go back to normal. It was possible that they'd still be chased by Sorcerer Hunters, and maybe Radish would just find someone else to manipulate with the magic, but as far as scenarios went, it was quite a free and easy one. It was the one that offered the most choice for the future, anyway... however, Celery knew that it was extremely unlikely that Radish would so easily give up on Marron, so, while Celery liked that idea, he knew that it couldn't work. Unfortunately.
 
He could kill himself. His magic would be lifted on Marron, Radish would no doubt be unable to control Marron like before... perhaps Marron would kill Radish, but by that point, Celery would be too dead to notice such things. It'd end up with their eventual deaths, but Marron would be able to rejoin his old life at his brother's side, so that'd make he and Carrot happy, even if it just made Celery and Radish dead... that'd be a selfless act of self-sacrifice, and it'd solve the Farra Kinju problem and stop them being chased by Sorcerer Hunters. Marron would be happy too, and so would the Sorcerer Hunters. Celery would no longer be able to have Radish for his very own, but three out of four wasn't bad. Death was so finalistic, after all... but change was change, and something had to change, so there was no harm, Celery thought, in considering all the options.
 
On the flipside, he could kill Radish. That idea didn't appeal to him for obvious reasons, but while he was considering killing everybody else also, Radish would also have to be taken into the equation. So. To kill Radish... that would nullify his hold on Marron. Once that was gone, Celery felt no qualms about releasing him back into his old life. Marron would be happy and the Sorcerer Hunters would be happy. With Radish dead, Radish being the destructive one, this would also likely free Celery from oppression from the Sorcerer Hunters. He'd had contact with Big Mama, and she hadn't tried to kill him... perhaps she realised that he wasn't a born murderer like his brother? Left to his own steam, Celery would probably just stay in the house, read, live a quiet life... but without Radish, what kind of life would that be? What kind of meaning could there be to a life without he whom he loved so dearly? That said, it solved all the other problems.
 
From statistics alone, Celery determined that, theoretically, the best causes of action would either be to kill himself, or to kill his brother. And thinking about them, neither seemed exactly desirable... neither would grant Celery his own happiness, but was there any way he could have that happiness?
 
There were other solutions, such as running far away, escaping the Spooner Continent, other things like that... but the more Celery thought about those ideas, the stupider they seemed to become. Taking over the world and making it so everything was happy was a nice idea, but not exactly a practical one.
 
Over dinner, Celery watched Radish carefully.
 
His day had been spent happily enough. Talking to Marron, walking around with Marron, being with Marron... Radish had taken Marron down to the river, even... Celery had followed quietly, nothing had happened, Radish had just seemed to spend the time teaching Marron how to skim stones. Sweet enough, but Celery couldn't forget that, just that morning, he and his brother had indulged themselves on the very rocks that Radish and Marron sat on, or near enough to...
 
Radish seemed happy enough to spend time with Celery when Marron wasn't around, but how often was that, how often would it ever be? Radish had only come down in the first place because he was hungry and had wanted something to eat. Alright, so the time had ended up being spent pleasantly enough, but... chances like that would be so few and far between, and most of Radish's time would be spent with Marron...
 
After dinner, Celery quietly made up his mind. Yes, something had to happen. Something had to change.
 
The three of them relaxed after dinner, as usual as things usually were. Celery read, Radish and Marron talked. It rained, they listened to the rain. Radish dragged Marron outside, yelling something about the sound rain made when it fell onto the river... Celery left them to it, letting them have their fun. They'd get wet, but no doubt Radish would enjoy drying Marron off, and there was no way he'd object to sharing a hot bath with him... Celery quietly yearned for that. A hot bath... taking a hot bath while the rain fell on the roof above...
 
He walked into his room, went to his drawer, brought out one of his daggers. He looked at it, and nodded. He'd decided. Something had to change. Something would change.
 
"Tonight will bring that change."
 
Celery stared at the dagger for a little longer, tucking it into a small scabbard that tucked into his belt. Yes. It'd change, and it'd change tonight.
 
First off though... the bathroom called. What he was going to do required bravery, strength, courage... a steady hand... he wanted to relax, first. Even if it wasn't with Radish, a last moment of pure relaxation would be welcome... he put the dagger to the side, hiding it underneath his clothes as he ran the bath. Celery hoped fervently that Radish wouldn't read his mind at any point, and see what he had planned... he couldn't hide it in any way at all, it was the only thing he could think about. If Radish knew what Celery had planned, then it'd all be over, before it even began...
 
Celery sighed deeply as he lowered himself into the water. That was in the future, even if only by an hour or two. For now, nothing would be gained by thinking about it, by worrying about it... for now, all that mattered was the warm caress of the water around his body, the gentle wisps of steam that rose into the air, the soft pattering of rain just a few feet above him... he lowered himself a little further. Indeed, that was most satisfactory. He could almost fall asleep in such comfort. Maybe he would. Nothing else was stopping him...
 
Celery closed his eyes, allowing himself to fall into a quiet slumber as he leant against the side of the bath.
 
****
 
The rain fell continually. As much as it rained on the Qerada-Ehret border, so it rained over Facade. There weren't any nearby rivers inside Eden to go and stand beside, no rivers to watch and stand beside to listen to the whisper of water meeting water... Carrot was forced to content himself with staring out of the window.
 
Not that much was visible. The rain hit against it none-too-gently, causing streaks of water to course down the window. Not much of the city outside was visible either, but Carrot didn't really care. He wasn't staring out of the window to look at the view outside, in any case.
 
Carrot leant against the windowsill, and Milphey sat with his back against Carrot's bedroom door. He watched Carrot, who didn't seem to move hardly at all, except to breathe. And even the movement of Carrot's back and shoulders seemed much too slow... Milphey didn't know what he could say. Anything he'd said seemed to be things he'd said a million times before, but... what else was there? Perhaps the repetition would bring some comfort...
 
"Carrot... I don't know why she did it."
 
Silence for a few moments, then Carrot spoke. There wasn't any need to talk so immediately.
 
"And you think I do? I guess she hasn't told you anything either, but... damn. DAMN! Why'd she have to bring me back so quickly? I can't exactly run back to Qerada, can I? I was talking so well with Celery, it woulda been the perfect opportunity for something to happen!"
 
"Like what?"
 
Another silence. Carrot's voice was quieter this time.
 
"I don't know. Just something. Okay, so I talked with him and everything, but... apart from that, what did I do? Was Big Mama watching me all that time?"
 
Milphey stood up, leaning against the door.
 
"I wouldn't doubt it, Carrot. She has her own agenda for things; we can't begin to guess what things go through her mind. I'm sure that she had her reasons for bringing you back so soon."
 
"I guess."
 
Carrot sighed, "... but... I was walkin' out there for days! She let me go out there to do that, and then, after I'd spoken to Celery, she just brought me back? I don't get it at all..."
 
Milphey stood beside Carrot, leaning against the windowsill also, watching the rain for a few moments before replying.
 
"I don't understand it either, Carrot-chan. But Big Mama, as I said, most likely has her reasons for what she did. Perhaps she's still got something planned. I highly doubt that she's just going to leave Marron to reside with Radish and Celery for too long; as much as you love him, she must love him too; or at least have a fondness for him." A wistful smile, "She looks upon you as her children, and Marron is still one of her children, even if he's not here at this moment. I'm sure he'll come back to us soon."
 
Carrot leant his arms against the cold windowsill, leaning his head on his arms, able to detect the smell of the rain outside.
 
"I'm not so sure anymore."
 
"Carrot?"
 
"I was sure I was gonna go there this time and get Marron back... I was totally totally sure! I was sure and I was determined and I still didn't manage to get Marron back, or even to see him... sure I talked about him with Celery, but... I wanted to see him..."
 
Milphey leant with one arm against the window.
 
"Yes, well... as long as Marron is still under the same sky as us, we'll work to get him back. Think about that, Carrot. The sky that's out there, above us... it's above him, also. The rain that's falling around us... maybe it's falling around him too. Even if he's not here with us, he's still out there somewhere, and through those things, we're connected."
 
Milphey smiled softly and aimed a quick prod at Carrot's chest.
 
"And even if he's nowhere else, Marron-chan'll always be there, right?"
 
Carrot was silent, thinking about what Milphey had said.
 
Marron was under the same sky...? He had to be. But where was he, exactly? What was he doing at this moment in time? That one? The next? Was he alright? Was he safe? Was he... being hurt?
 
Carrot's head seemed to retreat deeper behind his arms, Milphey noticed this.
 
"Carrot?"
 
Carrot closed his eyes, fighting back the irrational urge to cry, just a little. He shook his head.
 
"N-no, it's nothing."
 
Milphey watched, a serious look on his face.
 
"... I know it seems a bit hopeless, but... we will get him back..."
 
"Yeah, you keep saying that. But what'll happen if we can't?"
 
A sigh.
 
"Carrot, if I could personally fly there myself and bring him back, then I would..."
 
"What if there was a way to bring him back, and only you could do it, but Big Mama totally and utterly made it forbidden?"
 
"... Carrot?"
 
Carrot sounded just a little more bitter now.
 
"If there was something in your power that you could do easily, that Big Mama wouldn't let you do. Like, even if she didn't explain why, or anything. You just had to trust her."
 
Milphey blinked.
 
"Carrot, you can't ask me to choose-"
 
"Y'know what, I don't even wanna know the answer if it's not gonna be 'of course, Carrot! I'd save Marron!'... I think I'll get some sleep or something."
 
With that, Carrot turned heel on Milphey and walked into his bedroom, slamming his door hard enough to make Milphey wince.
 
He watched the door for a few moments. It didn't open. Milphey sighed... perhaps Sirius was around somewhere. Maybe there was a board game somewhere he wouldn't mind playing... Milphey glanced at Carrot's door.
 
"... if it at least made you happier, I'd do everything I could do to try and save Marron... believe me, Carrot..."
 
Inside Carrot's bedroom, Carrot had leapt onto the bed, and was currently sitting with his hands clenched around the sheets, shaking with emotion, but not quite crying. He felt sad, he felt hopeless... he felt angry, too. Was everyone in Eden conspiring against him? Why wouldn't Big Mama let him rescue Marron? Why hadn't any of the others wanted to go out and rescue Marron? Did they want him in the grip of Sorcerers all the time? They didn't even realise what those Sorcerers had done to him!
 
What they'd done to him... or at least, what Radish had done to him... even though his mind had been changed so he didn't know that that'd happened, even though he thought he was perfectly happy with those Sorcerers... what they'd done... what Radish had done... that couldn't be forgiven!
 
That couldn't be forgiven, but what could Carrot do to make them repent, anyway?
 
Again he felt hopeless, and that was when the tears started.
 
At that point, though he didn't realise it, the door to his room opened. Tira had been walking along the corridor when she'd heard a door slam, she'd wondered if it'd been Carrot... she got to his door and heard crying, she couldn't help but go in and see what was wrong.
 
When Tira and Chocolat realised that Carrot had returned to Eden, they'd shown their love and concern in their favourite way, with a particularly savage beating. How dare Carrot make them worry like that!
 
Even so, Tira'd felt a little bad afterwards, and once her and Chocolat transformed back, she'd said that they'd just been worried about him, and apologised. Of course, by that point Carrot was bordering unconsciousness, so Tira wasn't quite sure if he'd heard her, but still. It was the thought that counted.
 
Tira sighed sadly as she saw Carrot. Indeed he was crying.
 
"... Carrot?"
 
Carrot stopped abruptly, realising he wasn't alone. He sat up quickly, and noticed Tira.
 
"Oh, Tira. Hi. Did you want something?"
 
"I heard you crying..."
 
Carrot couldn't hold back a sniff, "No, it's nothing, I'm okay."
 
Tira walked over and sat on the corner of the bed, her hands in her lap.
 
"You don't sound okay. You've obviously been crying, Carrot, you were crying when I came in here... you wouldn't be crying for nothing..."
 
"Can't I just pass it off as teenage angst or something?" Carrot wasn't exactly in the mood for talking.
 
Tira had an idea what'd caused Carrot's upset, though.
 
"I know you're sad that you didn't manage to get Marron-chan back..."
 
"Not just sad... I'm pissed off! Why did she have to transport me back so quickly? Milphey's all on about how she's obviously got her own plans or whatever, but if she does have her own plans, then why can't she seem to do anything?! I mean, jeez, she's just... she doesn't seem to be doing anything! Just sitting there and all, still sending you guys on missions and stuff... I guess she'll be doing that to me soon... how am I supposed to concentrate on anything else when bad things might be happening to Marron?"
 
Tira tried to be sympathetic.
 
"Well, it seems like Marron's settled in with those Sorcerers, somewhat... so at least he's not being hurt too badly, right? I know it's hard to just sit around and do nothing, but... just because Marron's not around doesn't stop other Sorcerers from wanting to hurt innocent Parsoners... we've just got to do the job, Carrot... even if it's hard, we have to. Perhaps Mama has something big planned, but it'll take a while... we just have to have faith in her, Carrot."
 
Carrot rolled onto his front, legs kicking up against the wall.
 
"Don't you even want to rescue him?"
 
"Carrot? Of course I do, but... we can't, not at the moment!"
 
"And how much longer's it gonna take?! Anything could be happening to him, Tira! You guys probably all think I'm being stupid or whatever, but what if Chocolat got kidnapped by Sorcerers and made to do their will? Wouldn't you want to do whatever you could to get her back, even if it was hopeless and stupid? What if bad things were happening to her? What if she was the one getting raped by Sorcerers?"
 
Carrot unexpectedly met the back of Tira's hand in a sudden slap. He blinked.
 
"T-Tira?"
 
Tira looked a little pale, "Carrot, don't talk like that...! If oneesama'd been kidnapped, I'd be sad... I'd want to do anything... I'm sure I'd do anything to get her back! But things like that... you don't have to suggest them, things like that aren't happening to Marron!"
 
Carrot glared at the sheets of the bed, cheek reddening.
 
"Oh, they are."
 
Tira looked confused.
 
"Carrot, what are you saying?"
 
Carrot looked up, his voice quiet, his face serious.
 
"I'm sayin' that that Radish bastard raped my little brother, that's what I'm saying. Oh, sure, maybe he can't remember it now, maybe they made it so Marron wouldn't remember, maybe Radish really is sorry about it, but being sorry for something after it happened doesn't make it all alright! I want to make sure that that bastard suffers."
 
Tira gasped, "C-Carrot! Is that... true?"
 
"Would I make something like that up?"
 
"N-no... oh my god... he... that happened? How do you know?"
 
Carrot waved one hand, indicating as he spoke.
 
"Oh, when I met with Celery, we ended up talking for ages, and he accidentally let slip that little bit of information. He wasn't even going to tell me, Tira... cause Radish had been real sorry afterwards, so Celery sealed away Marron's memory or something... and Celery wouldn't do the same to Radish, 'cause he wanted Radish to at least regret what he did, make sure it wouldn't happen again and stuff... but... I dunno, just 'cause he doesn't wanna do it again... do you think he even planned to in the first place?"
 
Carrot pulled himself up into a seated position.
 
"Just knowing that Marron's still with that bastard makes me angrier with every passing second! I wanna go there quickly and kill that bastard, but I'm not even allowed to do that... so what if there are missions and stuff? Okay, it's bad that Parsoners are being oppressed and all, and that's a real bad thing, and maybe I just sound like a bastard, but for the moment, can't we concentrate on what's important to me? Just as long as Marron's okay, then I'd be happy, but... he can't be happy, not like that, not with those people!"
 
Tira nodded, "I suppose this is why you've been hanging around Eden like you've got a raincloud following you... Carrot, why didn't you tell anyone about... y'know, what happened to Marron?"
 
Carrot laughed humourlessly.
 
"I'm half thinking about telling Gateau about it. Can you imagine how he'd react? He'd go berserk! Not only would my brother's virginity not be his, but apart from that..."
 
Carrot shook his head.
 
"I wouldn't want Gateau to know, not really. I feel helpless for not being able to do anything. Not being able to do anything now, for not being able to do anything then... we know how Gateau feels, and everything... and I'm sure he feels hopeless enough as it is, Marron being there and us being here... do we want to make him feel even worse? Tira, promise me you won't tell anyone else. I don't really want that leaving this room.."
 
Tira nodded again, "Of course, I promise, not if you don't want anybody else to know..."
 
"Thanks."
 
Carrot's shoulders shook with a wave of tears as he thought about it.
 
"... While it was happening... Celery said... Marron kept saying my name..."
 
"Saying... your name?"
 
"Y-yeah... I guess he wanted me to, like, help him... I mean, I wasn't even there, but he still wanted me to help him... shit, if I had been there, I woulda ripped Radish's head off, I'd have fought him to the death - his or mine - if he'da just stopped doing that to Marron, but... I didn't even know about it..."
 
Tira stared intently at the floor, sighing deeply.
 
"Now I want to do something too... if Big Mama has got something planned, I hope it's soon... I don't like the idea of Marron-chan being with those Sorcerers just as much as you..."
 
"I almost wouldn't mind him being with Celery if I knew that wasn't impossible. If it was only Celery... he'd let us have Marron back without even asking, I'm sure. It's just Radish... being such a possessive bastard, taking my brother like that, in both ways... and there's nothing we can do, 'cause Mama just wants us to run around after Sorcerer small-fry who've been doing things that are small in comparison... even if she doesn't want us to do anything, even if they're too powerful or whatever, can't she at least send out the Haz Knights, or something? They'd be able to take care of Radish without even blinking!"
 
Carrot sighed.
 
"... Even though I'd like to be the one to kill him..."
 
Tira leant back onto her arms a little.
 
"Perhaps that's what she's planning to do."
 
"Hm?"
 
"Send the Haz Knights out. Maybe she's sent them out already. We hardly see them, do we?"
 
Carrot shook his head, "Milphey's still around, I was just talking to him."
 
"No, but he's not the only Haz Knight, is he? There are still another three Haz Knights, all capable of getting rid of Sorcerers, I'm sure... I suppose we just have to wait and see."
 
Carrot grimaced, "Yeah, but I hate waiting."
 
"I know, I know... it's hard to wait when anything could be happening, but... as I said, we just have to have faith in Big Mama... perhaps if you went and talked to her about it, she'd realise how important it was to you? Maybe she doesn't know about... what happened..."
 
Carrot rolled his eyes.
 
"Who knows? She never lets anyone know what she knows..."
 
"She might act more quickly if we tell her, though..."
 
Carrot just shook his head, "No, Tira. I'd rather not tell anybody else."
 
"Well, if you're sure..."
 
"I'm sure."
 
"... Alright."
 
They fell silent, Tira unsure of what to say, and Carrot not having anything to say. The rain falling outside made noise audible to both of them... Tira stood up.
 
"I think I'll go and see where oneesama is..."
 
"Okay. But... don't tell her, please?"
 
"Carrot, I did promise..."
 
Carrot nodded, "I know, I know, sorry."
 
He fell back onto the bed, pulling the covers over him a little. Tira watched him for a few moments before she left the room. After leaving, she stood in front of the door for a little while... no wonder he'd been so tetchy since returning. Especially after finding out that something like that had happened... it'd make anybody upset. Carrot was obviously upset, Tira herself felt sad for thinking that something like that could happen to someone she'd seen as her brother for so long... Chocolat would no doubt be upset if she knew, and if Gateau knew... Tira agreed with what Carrot had said. For the time being, it was best if Gateau didn't know.
 
Walking back along the corridor, Tira ran into Eclair.
 
"Oh- oh, Tira, hi!"
 
"Eclair... hello. Are you alright?"
 
Eclair nodded, "Yeah, just heading off to bed now. Getting kinda dark outside, that rain isn't letting up at all... any idea what you guys are gonna be doing tomorrow?"
 
Tira shook her head, "Not really... Big Mama'll probably have another mission or two lined up for us, I imagine. Why?"
 
Eclair looked a little harried, "Damn..."
 
"Eclair?"
 
"Hm? Oh, it's just... oniichan's still all hellbent about getting those Sorcerers, y'know? I'd feel a lot better if I knew you guys were just gonna go off and get rid of those guys, get Marron back, all of that. I don't like seeing him so angry and quiet all the time... he hasn't even pulled a pose for the last week or so. I mean, come on, my brother? Not posing? That's serious! It's gotta be something bad if even he can't jump up and go 'MITE KURE!!!'... maybe he feels he hasn't got anyone to pose for without Marron around? I dunno. He usually just poses for the mirror a little bit sometimes, though..."
 
She shook herself slightly.
 
"... sorry, I'm talking too much. You probably want to get to sleep too, I guess?"
 
Tira wasn't entirely sure she'd be able to sleep too easy, but she just attempted a smile, nodding at Eclair.
 
"Oh, yes. Whatever Big Mama has planned, even if it's a day off, I'd like to face it refreshed..."
 
Eclair carried on along the corridor.
 
"I won't keep you, then. G'night, Tira!"
 
"Goodnight, Eclair. Tell Gateau-chan I said goodnight too."
 
"Sure thing. Same to Chocolat."
 
And Eclair went.
 
Tira watched the empty corridor for a little while. Eclair would go back to be with her brother, Tira was on her way to being with her sister... the rain still fell as Tira sighed. Tonight, again, Carrot'd be alone... Tira almost wanted to ask Carrot if he wanted anybody to sleep in Marron's bed until they got him back, just to keep Carrot company... but there wasn't any easy way to phrase that question. 'Do you want me to sleep with you?' didn't sound right somehow, and any way of suggesting it sounded like a proposition. Even if Tira herself meant it innocently enough, she was pretty sure that Chocolat would catch on and suggest something that was just a direct proposition.
 
Tira shook her head, smiling slightly.
 
"Oneesama... I don't think trying to get into bed with Carrot would calm him down at the moment..."
 
She took one last glance at night falling alongside the rain out of the nearest window, then quietly resumed the journey to her and Chocolat's bedroom.
 
All around Eden, people were falling asleep... however, at Eden's deepest point, nobody slept.
 
Big Mama stood in the room, the glowing orb showing the night falling around the Salt Household. She stood in the room, and Milphey stood at the door, his arms folded, looking serious.
 
Big Mama turned her head, looking over her shoulder at Milphey.
 
"Tonight, Mille Feuille."
 
Milphey blinked, trying not to look or sound too surprised.
 
"Tonight?"
 
A nod was all she replied with, for a moment. She turned back to face the orb before speaking again.
 
"Tonight, it happens."
 
Milphey wondered what exactly the 'it' was that Big Mama spoke of. He wondered if he should know better, if he should somehow automatically know what 'it' was, but he couldn't resist at least attempting to get an answer from Big Mama.
 
"... 'It', Mamu-sama?"
 
He saw her head move in a nod.
 
"Yes. Tonight, that which will set the final set of events into place... will happen."
 
"Will we be able to get Marron back tonight? I know Carrot at least is very concerned about him..."
 
The orb dulled into darkness, Milphey moved from the door to allow Big Mama to pass through the doorframe. Once she'd walked through, Milphey followed her, walking slightly behind her.
 
"At the moment, Marron is only one of many things we have to worry about."
 
"Mamu-sama?"
 
"Walk beside me..."
 
Milphey did so, Big Mama continued.
 
"... if all goes well, then... indeed, Marron should return to us. But also... you know as well as I do that the magical balance around that area of the world is extremely precarious. Just the smallest thing that causes that balance to tip... the implications there, I... I can't know what will happen. In any case, we have to pray that Celery has enough strength to carry through with his decision."
 
"Decision, Mamu-sama?"
 
"The decision that will decide his fate. When either of those brothers die, it could be enough to tip the balance... if we didn't have to deal with it now, we'd only have to deal with it when those brothers died, however long in the future that would be..."
 
"I suppose the balance depends on which brother dies first, am I correct?"
 
Big Mama nodded, "Indeed. We can only wait and see what happens. However... in either circumstance... I won't be sending the Sorcerer Hunters on any missions until this situation has passed. Do you wish to accompany them to Qerada, Mille Feuille?"
 
"I would like to do so, Mamu-sama..."
 
"Then you will."
 
"... Thank you, Mamu-sama."
 
By this time, Big Mama and Milphey had reached the main hall of the Stella Church. It was dark; the two of them stood there for a few moments. Milphey stood to the side, waiting for any further commands from Big Mama. He heard her slight laugh.
 
"Mille Feuille, you need not dote on me through the night. Tomorrow will require a sound body and mind... I suggest you sleep."
"You sound like you already know what's going to happen, Mamu-sama..."
 
"I have an idea of what will happen."
 
Milphey glanced down at his feet, seeing their vague outline in the darkness.
 
"I see... Mamu-sama, I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight..."
 
Big Mama walked a little closer, putting her hand on Milphey's shoulder.
 
"Through excitement or through fear?"
 
"... I'm not sure."
 
"Perhaps it is something of both. You should still lie down, even if you can't sleep... don't you want to be at your best for Carrot and the others?"
 
"... Yes, Mamu-sama."
 
Milphey bowed, and walked off to his bedroom.
 
Big Mama stood in the darkness. For a moment, it was as if she was alone, but then a figure emerged from one side.
 
"... Mamu-sama, are you sure you should be encouraging Mille Feuille to sleep at a time like this?"
 
A smile, even though she was aware Kahlua couldn't see it.
 
"He's a lot closer to those children, Kahlua. He worries about them, he looks upon them as his own charges... I'm sure that worry must tire him out."
 
Shiffon Cake stepped forward, standing alongside Kahlua.
 
"And in the meantime, we...?"
 
Big Mama's tone was brisk and businesslike, suddenly.
 
"In the meantime, I wish you three, Kahlua, Shiffon, Cinnamon, to travel to that household, and form the barrier around it."
 
Shiffon's voice was quiet, "Wouldn't it be more stable if Mille Feuille was with us also?"
 
"He will join you in the morning."
 
Big Mama brought up one of the orbs, this one showing a map of the region the Salt brother's house resided in. She pointed at places on the map.
 
"Kahlua, station yourself here. Shiffon, you should go here. Cinnamon, you will take position on this spot. This spot," she indicated to the last corner of the square the Haz Knights would form around the area, "will be where Mille Feuille will take his place."
 
Cinnamon stood forth, talking in her steady drawl.
 
"Buut suuurely iiit woouuld beee saafeerr tooo haaave aaall foouurr Haaz Kniightss theerree aaatt oonncee?"
 
"It might, but not until the magic has been released; forming a barrier before the magic is released will cause a kind of implosion upon that house; I do not wish to cause that. We need to seal the area to retrieve Marron safely, not to kill him."
 
"Iii seee."
 
The map on the orb faded to a soft blue, bathing the four in the hall in it's light. Big Mama turned to face her Haz Knights.
 
"You have only tonight to prepare yourselves, my Haz Knights. Please, proceed with haste."
 
They were bathed in the familiar red glow as Big Mama transported them to the Qerada-Ehret border. Once they were gone, Big Mama was truly alone in the hall.
 
She looked to the orb.
 
"... I pray I acted with enough speed..."
 
The orb offered nothing in reply; Big Mama sighed, falling to a kneel, awaiting sign that what she knew would come to pass, had happened.