Sorcerer Hunters Fan Fiction ❯ And The Kid Who Just Stands Tonight ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tira felt the scratching of small rocks as they subsided under her shoes as the group walked quietly by Ayumi's stone western gate, confronting the beyond far in the horizon. Dark trees and a smitten sunset hardly greeted them, as the once-clear path became hidden and overgrown. This did not bother Tira or the others, however, for they knew they would face something perhaps even worse. The dark advanced like a thief, deftly stealing the light away, and the Hunters became more cautious as they moved into the forest; every step taking them closer to their terrible prize.

Wrapped in a veil of thoughts, Tira couldn't help but regret leaving the empty but peaceful Ayumi so soon, for they had only briefly rested one day, and they were already on a hard path again. Tira felt motivation powering her on, however, because she always had a great feeling of excitement bottled up inside her whenever missions were assigned. She realized the danger, but in secret she loved it. The fight was always the key, and Tira promised herself that she would never die. Taking note of her dark surroundings again, she ran her eyes over the shadows of the others walking ahead of her. Don't ever die, any of you, she thought willfully. Then her eyes caught Marron and something jolted her heart.

"God, I'm beat," Carrot stopped, and immediately sat down on a rock. "Let's go to sleep, you guys. It's really too late to keep on walking," and he broke into a long yawn.

"Perhaps, Niisan," Marron said quietly, then turned to Gateau. "I suppose you should unpack the sleeping mats, then." Gateau nodded, and quickly lowered a heavy load of assorted materials from his back and set them carefully on the ground. Carrot grabbed his stuff almost protectively, and frowned at Gateau.

"You better not have been looking in my stuff," Carrot narrowed his caterpillar eyebrows in Gateau's general direction.

"Hn. Is that right?" Gateau looked preoccupied as he shuffled around in the pile, competing against Tira and Chocolate, who both also were trying to find their personal belongings. Marron stood off against a tree, his white skin calmly reflecting the casual moonlight. He coughed for a second, and he caught Gateau's gaze, and then solemnly walked beyond the trees.

"I'm going to look for a water source," he called over his shoulder, disappearing from sight. Tira looked up from her rummaging, questioning. Why had he looked at Gateau before he left? She glanced over at the muscular Gateau, who apparently had found his sleeping attire, hairbrush, et cetera, and was now standing up, looking off into the trees. He must have felt Tira's eyes on him, for he grinned quickly at her and spoke.

"Well, well. I guess I'll go get some firewood, ne? No use catching cold when there's a sorcerer to fight." And with another strange grin, he left, falling into the shadows where Marron had gone previously. Tira frowned, and felt something tug on her emotions. Somehow, she knew something was amiss, and she suddenly had to find out. It seemed Marron and Gateau got lost together too often, and for the first time in her life, she wanted to know why.

Tira lithely tossed her clothes and hairbrush onto the mat Gateau had sprawled out for her, and then she turned towards the place Marron and Gateau had evacuated to. Chocolate was still rummaging in the pile of stuff, and Carrot was curled in his sleeping bag, fervently reading a magazine that was probably pornographic. Tira slipped away unnoticed through the trees, hearing only a tiny yelp of joy from her sister:

"Here it is! My lacy black bra! Wait till you see this, darling.." Tira disregarded the noise, and listened through the trees. It was so dark, and even the moonlight could only pierce a few things. Even the unmoving trees were fluid dark shadows and Tira had to step lightly and carefully to avoid running into them. A few scuffing noises were heard, and carefully Tira advanced towards the sound. Then she heard their voices.

"Just promise me you won't get hurt. You are far too dear to me, Marron."

"I'll be fine, but I'm worried about what Big Mama said: what if it's Niisan?"

"What about him?"

"She said someone would die slowly; one of us. What if it's my brother?" Tira heard Marron's voice crack. She knew Marron would be crushed if something ever happened to Carrot. She shuffled closer, stepping quietly over the moss, and finally she could see them in a faint haze of moonlight.

"Marron, don't worry about that. I won't let any of us die. Especially not you." Tira saw that Gateau was cradling Marron to him, Marron's dark head lying softly against Gateau's firm shoulder. She imagined she saw a sparkle of tears on that pale cheek.

"I'm afraid, Gateau. For the first time, I am really afraid." Marron looked up at Gateau, and Gateau gave Marron a sensual kiss on the neck. Tira felt herself blushing. Eek! She thought frantically to herself, turning her head away instinctively. What the heck did I get into? She knew this was a private conversation, but if she moved to get out, she would probably be heard, and that was the absolute worst thing that could happen. So she quietly watched a bit more, amazed and even provoked by the actions she saw.

"Gateau, did I ever tell you that you were too much of an optimist?" Marron smiled up at Gateau warmly and then his smile faded and he had a sort of sly look about him. Gateau bent and whispered something slowly in Marron's ear, which led to sudden red-hot frenching between the two of them. Marron hugged Gateau as close as he could, his mouth working furiously against Gateau's wet mouth. Gateau closed his eyes, reveling in this good attention, and let his hands creep down over Marron's soft robed buttocks. Tira gulped, her eyes widening. It was positively revolting to her, but it captivated her at the same time, and she couldn't tear her eyes away.

"Ah," Marron blushed, as the deep kisses turned to flirtier smooches on the cheek. Gateau smoothed his hand over Marron's gentle curve of a waist, then lowered it to squeeze him on his rear. Tira felt a strange infuriation, and it shocked her. Was she jealous? She blushed even more when she wondered what else they had done, things she had not seen.

Marron finally pulled away, making the shadows on Gateau's rumpled pants evident in the dim light. Gateau seemed flustered, but Marron smiled at him.

"You'll need to get that firewood, Gateau." And Marron bent and picked up a sudden bucket full of water that was remarkably out of place, right on the ground by their feet. It was like Marron had suddenly whisked it out of thin air. Gateau's eyes widened, the meek and sultry blue reflecting his confusion.

"Where'd you-" But Marron cut him off with a quick kiss.

"See you later." Then he was gone. Tira could not even guess what direction he had gone in. Only instinct told her that he had gone back to camp. With Marron you never knew, however. Gateau shook his head in wonder; Tira having a common mindset. Both of them did not really know Marron in reality. He was a wonderful strangeness that captivated her and Gateau both into a strange void. She wished she could take a glance into his life, to view it not as a mirror. But she had a strange feeling she never would.