Sorcerer Hunters Fan Fiction ❯ And The Kid Who Just Stands Tonight ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tira opened her eyes and saw Marron standing, hovering over her, bent and applying stinging medicine to somewhere on her body that she could only connect to through a brief stinging pain. Behind him was nothing but white, pure, hazy white light, that had a quiet flowing aura, like snow. His eyes were shining gold and they reflected care and concern as he administered to her quietly. Tira felt her insides melt as Marron smiled down at her, his brief action indicating he was glad she was awake. Now, she thought, barely breathing. Marron is an angel. I can sense it like I can sense the evil that resides now in my sister. Or was she truly evil? Tira had no idea what had happened to her at all. She sighed, almost painfully, for most likely her vague thoughts were nothing but the product of pain and fever. I cannot think straight, she told herself. Nothing was clear now. Nothing but Marron. Even where she softly lay now she could not tell. All she knew was that Marron was caring for her right now, keeping her from harm, wherever it was. And that was all that mattered. Tira wanted to rebuke herself at this point, at the second where she found herself staring into Marron's creamy face for what might have been the third time. Was it right to fall in love so fast?

She heard noises, from far away, clamoring sounds, shouts, and the sounds of bones crushing together that echoed through the vastness. What was happening? But her mind was too cloudy to even try to guess. Her heart sank for a moment, remembering her sister. She did not know if Chocolate was all right or not, and even if the others were alive. She knew that Mead was not fully dead, and this troubled her. She wanted to get up and fight, but she could not even feel her legs beneath her and the scratchy wool blanket.

"Tira." Marron whispered in the hazy white. Tira forced her tired eyes to look up at him.

"Go to sleep, Tira. Your battle is over," and Marron stuck something sharp in her arm. Tira jerked a tiny bit, and resided.

"Marron.." Tira suddenly felt the reaches of sleep grasping her consciousness. She fought it, trying to stay awake to talk to Marron, to find out what was happening all around her. But Marron put a finger to his lips, quieting her.

"We'll talk later," he said softly, and rising, left her. She wanted to cry out for Marron not to go, but her voice was gone and she could not even hope to crack the stillness. Marron had disappeared in the white mist in a second, and she felt afraid. Sleep overcame her slowly, however, and her deadened body accepted the rest, inviting it like a severe warmth one can't deny. And then she saw nothing.



Pinpoints of light pricked Tira's eyes, and a sense of renewal abounded in her spirit. She opened her eyes slowly, taking in long, deep breath like it was the first and sweetest she'd ever taken. She was lying on a sleeping cot on the mossy ground, the trees standing aloof in the beyond like shy visitors. The sky was a pure blue, a healthy horizon boasting its beauty like Gateau would. Tira smiled. It seemed like days had gone by while she slept in a dreamless sleep that resembled death. Tira wondered if she might have died in actuality, for no one remained in the camp with her. Her mood darkened. She prayed internally, praying that they had not lost to Mead. The thought floated in front of her mind; it was a tangible explanation and she wanted to deny it.

Tira struggled to get up. Once she moved, she recognized the old pain that had enveloped her side earlier in the battle. The wound her own sister gave for a reason she did not know. But that did not matter now. What mattered was that she needed to find the others, and this task she knew might provide an experience she'd long to forget. She hated to even consider the fact that the others might be dead. Lying on a bloodied moss covered terrain, birds circling their rotting flesh. She shivered. And what about Marron, she wondered with deep concern. She had a terrible feeling that something had happened. Something not entirely fatal, but deeply devastating that could affect all their lives..

"Tira." A sudden voice came from behind, but it was not the velvet voice she so longed to hear, but in itself it was still a valued reassurance. Her mouth flew open, and she nearly tackled her visitor in a grateful embrace.

"Gateau!" He was so warm, Tira thought. "Thank God you're alive." Gateau seemed relieved himself, and when Tira looked up at his tall, tanned form, she saw he was slightly blushing. Tira grinned to herself. Yep, he was bi.

"We're glad you're okay too, Tira. Marron brought you back over here when we were fighting that bitch Mead." Releasing her, Gateau frowned in remembrance, then his look softened. "You were hurt pretty bad-kinda ironic that Chocolate hit you, ne?" It was Tira's turn to frown.

"Gateau, why on earth-?"

"Mead was strong enough to control Chocolate in her final seconds," Gateau said with seriousness, "and she attacked you, probably because you were the closest in proximity. Chocolate's totally pissed at herself right now," Gateau laughed, his blue eyes dancing. "She never wanted to hurt you, you know," and Gateau leaned against the nearest tree in a lazy motion.

"Hmm," Tira contemplated, giving this information thought, letting her mind soak it all in. She knew that her sister had not meant it. Everything would be all right again. "So, where's everyone else?" Tira smiled, changing the subject lightly.

"Ah, well," Gateau murmured, looking at the mossy ground and other such twigs and weeds, "There's a hot spring over the next ridge and," he looked at Tira shyly. "The others are hanging out over there. Marron wasn't, though," he said evilly. "Because then, I'd.." Tira cut him off.

"Well, let's head over there, then!" She didn't especially want to hear about his fanciful excursions with Marron. Hell, she'd practically seen most of them a few nights ago. A fire burned in her chest when she realized Gateau was now her top rival in love. She didn't want to treat him any less, but just to make sure, she'd keep an eye on those two. She ran ahead of Gateau, despite her wounds, up a path she didn't know, with Gateau running swiftly behind her, the leaves and moss sliding beneath their feet. Tira glanced at the world around her as she ran. It was so strangely familiar, and so beautiful. A swift mountain sweetness, she thought, as the woods and moss and grass and ferns all collaborated to form one large mesh of beauty. Little did she know she'd come to hate that vast land forever.