Sorcerer Stabber Orphen Fan Fiction ❯ It's in the Family ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The usual, I don't own any of the characters in SSO.

This is set after Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: Revenge. This is based off the Anime only and the English ADV versions at that. Warning Spoilers!
 
Author's note: Don't forget your toothbrushes ladies and gentlemen. After two chapters of full of angst, there's WAFF ahead, well, as WAFFy as Orphen and Cleo get. Enjoy.
 
Chapter 14*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
In the kitchen, Cleo and Devon were glaring at each other across the table. Alik was sitting next to Devon, looking back and forth between Cleo and his brother with a look of exasperation. He put his head down on the table, wishing he could bolt for the door. Unfortunately, Devon had a grip on his arm, preventing his departure. Leki was sitting in the chair next to Cleo, shaking his head, watching with an expression that could only be interpreted as disapproving.
 
“Are you really not going to speak to each other again?” Alik asked lifting his head off the table.
 
“Only if he apologizes.”
 
“For what? Cleo, I didn't do anything.”
 
“What do you mean you didn't do anything, you…! It figures! You forget that, but won't let ancient history go!”
 
“Our engagement is not ancient history.”
 
“It is ancient history! Father canceled it and I never accepted it…well…once I understood what it meant. How many times do I have to say that before I get it through your thick skull? Alik understands, don't you?”
 
“Cleo… do not bring him into your usual squabble with Devon.” Tistiny said from the doorway as she entered the kitchen, “Do I even want to know how the subject of your engagement…err ex-engagement came up this time?” Tistiny chastised her daughter, thinking, `Those two are like oil and water. They will never mix.' Resignedly, Tistiny asked, “Alik, why this time?”
 
“I don't know. I just asked about when they were blue. I asked if it was all over. Mariabella didn't know. So, she told me to ask them.” Alik answered.
 
Majic, who'd come in just behind Tistiny, “And, obviously, it went downhill from there,” he said ruefully, glancing at Cleo and Devon, remembering that, as much as Jared and Mariabella had loved to pick on him and Cleo, they'd had even more fun setting Devon up. `Looks like Mariabella strikes again.'
 
“Oh…and here comes your shadow, Cleo. Some things never change. Once we get married, your pet sorcerers aren't invited.” He glared at Majic and then focused on the person who'd just entered behind Majic.
 
Feeling Cleo's emotions, Leki jumped up onto her shoulder, nuzzling her and imploring her, using the link, to calm down. She inhaled sharply, clenched her fists and said, “Leki…” preparing to launch Leki's attack at Devon.
 
“That's enough!” Orphen's voice echoed around the kitchen from the force of his shout.
 
“Thank you, Orphen.” Tistiny said, watching her daughter closely. She was literally shaking with suppressed rage and the pain in her eyes flared sharply. Whatever Devon had said in the last comment had seriously upset Cleo, even though she was preparing to take the fight to the next level. Tistiny really didn't want to have to rebuild her kitchen again. Although the last time, it was their fathers behind the destruction, `I like my kitchen now, so history does not need to repeat itself.'
 
Tistiny looked reprovingly at both Cleo and Devon, as she admonished, “I would have thought you both were above such petty bickering by now, but I guess not. I'm very disappointed in both of you.”
 
“I'm sorry, Mother.” Cleo said, hanging her head and biting back the urge to say he had started it, as usual.
 
After a quick pause, Devon looked up with an innocent look on his face and said, “I'm sorry, Mrs. Ever…er… Tistiny.”
 
Cleo was winding herself up to go after Devon about his attempt to manipulate her mother when Orphen stopped her, “Come on, Cleo. We still have a talk to complete about dances, horses and fiancées.”
 
“Dances and fiancées…no way are you talking about that without me. After all, I was intimately involved in those events and we all know how Cleo exaggerates.”
 
“Intimately…yeah, that's the word. No exaggerating necessary, just the truth.” Cleo hissed, glaring at, strangely enough, Leki.
 
Orphen continued, as if neither one of them had said anything, “We'll meet in your room after I get cleaned up.” Orphen's stomach made a loud grumble.
 
“Um…he hasn't eaten dinner or lunch today.” Majic informed the room, but he was watching Cleo.
 
“I'll bring something up for our talk. I'll be up in a few and I promise I won't cook anything.”
 
“Tistiny, you mean, you're just going to just let him into her room un-chaperoned?” Devon demanded, shocked.
 
With a meaningful glance at Orphen, Tistiny answered, “The door is always kept open, just like it was when you visited.”
 
Orphen left the kitchen, giving Tistiny a quick nod, acknowledging her hint.
 
“She was only twelve and I was fourteen. How do we know he won't abuse your trust?”
 
“Jeez…this comes from the man who slept…” Cleo clamped both hands over her mouth as she realized what she was about to say in front of Alik.
 
“Cleo.” Devon said harshly, glancing down at Alik.
 
“Oh, please, Bro. M-mom had that talk with me over a year ago. After I walked into the kitchen while you were...um…cleaning the table, as you put it, with one of the maids.”
 
“What is it with you and tables, Devon?!?”
 
“I guess I wasn't the only one.” Majic muttered. “Whatever happened to beds, Devon? No, don't answer that. That would be way too much information.”
 
“Not you, too!” Cleo all but shrieked. “And you question Orphen's intentions? I'm safer with him in every way than with you in any way.”
 
“I will not have my fiancée alone in her bedroom with another man.”
 
“Oh… I am not! Arrghh…Devon.” In a fit of frustration, Cleo threw up her hands, dislodging Leki, who jumped to the floor and darted under the table, tail down between his legs. Cleo closed her hands into fists, turned and took a step towards Devon. “I've had it with you and Leki says it's my fight. So be it!” She started walking towards Devon, her intention obvious. Leki yipped encouragingly from under the table.
 
“Not this time, Cleo!”
 
“I'm gonna kick your ass!”
 
“Like hell. I'm older. I'm stronger. And, by God, you're going to acknowledge it!”
 
Cleo drew her fist back to punch Devon, saying, “Let's do this!”
 
“Cleotista Everlasting!” Tistiny shouted and Cleo froze mid-punch.
 
Devon chuckled and whispered to Cleo, although Majic overheard, “Someone's in trouble.”
 
“That's it. I quit! Mother, you deal with him!” Cleo stormed out of the kitchen.
 
Majic said, “I guess I'm getting the food for Orphen.”
 
Tistiny rounded on Devon, “Dimitri Devon Enduring. We need to have a talk. Come…” Tistiny was interrupted by Cleo storming back into the kitchen.
 
“No…I'm not leaving! You are! I need to take care of something and I don't want to have to deal with your attitude anymore. Besides, it's nine o'clock and time for Alik to get to bed. I figure you might want to have him in with you. Just make sure you have a light.”
 
“I'm not tired.” Alik started, spoiling the effect with a yawn.
 
“He doesn't have to go to bed.” Devon said, challenging Cleo again.
 
“Devon, now.” Tistiny said with steel behind her voice, “Cleo, have Alik help you prepare a plate. Then he needs to get ready for bed. We will be in the library when he's ready, so Devon can at least tuck him in before going to bed himself, since he has an early day tomorrow.”
 
“But…Mrs…”
 
“The library.” She reiterated and then turned to leave left the kitchen. When Devon didn't move to follow immediately, “Now! You are never too old to be punished or turned over my knee.”
 
Devon followed sheepishly. As he walked past Majic, he whispered Devon's words back to him, in a voice too low for anyone else to hear, “Someone's in trouble.”
 
“I'll settle you, later.” Devon said, placing a hand on Majic shoulder in an apparent gesture of friendship, until he squeezed, hard.
 
Majic shook his head, `Some things never change, but if Devon thinks I'm the same pushover who needed Cleo's ...um… assistance, he'd better think again.'
 
Cleo glared at the door after Devon exited, but quickly moved to fix the snack, with Alik making wild suggestions.
 
Majic solved the issue by suggesting a sandwich, which Cleo quickly agreed to since it was one of the few things she couldn't mess up. Even so, Cleo was distracted by a tug on her arm. “Yes, Alik?”
 
“Are you really mad at Devon?” Alik asked timidly.
 
Cleo sighed, realizing that she had to control her bickering with Devon. She took a good look at Alik, and realized he was really worried and a bit shell shocked. She looked up at Majic and he nodded in response, indicating that he'd take care of the food, but he pointed at the coffee. Nodding back, she put her hand on Alik's shoulder and guided him back to the kitchen table. They sat together and she attempted to explain. “Yes and no. First, since you may not remember, Devon and I have always fought. I suspect we always will. You've heard a couple of the stories of our …um, antics,” They both glanced at Majic, who'd snorted when Cleo used the word `antics'. At her glare, he attempted unsuccessfully to school his face into a more serious demeanor. She smiled slightly at the attempt, before continuing like nothing had happened, “…when we were younger. It's not that I don't care about him; it's just that we always seem to be on opposite ends of an issue. Orphen and I are like that, too, and you know how I feel about him. Most of the time it's in fun, but I'll admit tonight, with Devon, I went too far and I'm sorry for that.”
 
“It's because Devon said the same thing …um, the monster did. Isn't it?”
 
Cleo paused and closed her eyes, sighing. “That's part of it, but Devon didn't know the significance of that phrase.” Cleo saw Majic stop and look sharply at her in worry. She addressed both Alik and Majic when she added, “I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you.”
 
“It's all right.” Alik said, ready to be off this subject and with a mischievous glint in his eye, he turned to Majic, “Can Cleo really mess up sandwiches?”
 
Without missing a beat, Majic answered, “Yes. I'm just about finished and once the coffee is done, it'll be ready to go up. In the meantime, let me tell you about when Cleo tried to make us tuna fish sandwiches.”
 
Cleo groaned, bracing herself for some major teasing about her culinary skills, while she started fixing Orphen's coffee.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Devon arrived at the library to find Tistiny standing in the doorway awaiting him. Once he stepped past the threshold, she quickly closed the door and rounded on him.
 
“That is quite enough from you, young man.” Tistiny stated authoritatively.
 
“What do you mean? I didn't ask her to attack me.” Devon said, schooling his features into the very picture of innocence.
 
“No…you didn't,” Tistiny said as she intently watched his expression, until, as expected, a hint of triumph snuck into his eyes. “You baited her into it.”
 
“I did not.” Devon said, petulantly. Tistiny gave Devon a pointed look and, after moment, he wilted slightly under her inexorable glare. “You and Mom had that glare down. Okay, so maybe I baited her a little… but…”
 
“No buts…you did and she rose to it.” Tistiny continued, in a tone that barred any argument, “I know that you and Cleo have always been confrontational, but you are both adults now. I expected you to be able to control your behavior. I will not tolerate anymore of these outbursts. You were both wrong and I will be discussing this with her as well.”
 
“Okay, so maybe it went too far… I'm sorry.” Devon said, lowering his eyes, playing up the contrite appearance with slumped shoulders and a slight foot shuffle. `That usually worked like a charm on… on Mom.' He thought, and his shoulders really slumped, remembering he'd never see her again and suddenly wanting to see her more than anything, even if he was in trouble. A hand placed on his shoulder broke him out of his reverie.
 
“Devon?” Tistiny asked quietly. Although she wasn't finished scolding him, she sensed a shift in his `act.'
 
He looked up into her understanding eyes and winced, she had always been able to read him and seemed to know when he was faking, better than his own parents, even. He never seemed to be able to fool her. “I-I just remembered something.” He said sadly and then started to genuinely apologize. “I'm sorry. I-I just fell back on old habits and …well…I don't trust him. He used his magic against me.”
 
“Really?” Tistiny said surprised, knowing that Orphen was very careful with his magic, unless unusually stressed or provoked. Cautiously, she asked, “When and how?”
 
“Just after I met them by the cave. He got angry cause I announced we, Cleo and I, were engaged and cast at me. The spell ended up bouncing off me, I mean, I'm a Hunter, he can't hurt me that way, but to cast against a non-caster is…unconscionable.”
 
“When he cast, did he have any idea you were a Hunter?”
 
“Um…probably. But that doesn't excuse the fact that he's dangerous. Maybe even as dangerous as that rogue sorcerer I accepted the old contract to hunt.”
 
Ignoring the latter portion of his statement, Tistiny focused on the specifics of the confrontation, “What happened before he cast?”
 
“I was trying to get Cleo away from him.”
 
“So you're saying he cast at you without you doing anything to provoke him?
 
“Yes. I was just trying to retrieve my fiancée.”
 
“Okay…” Tistiny said leadingly. “So, what would you do if a complete stranger came up, announced that the person you were protecting was his fiancée, and tried to take her away?”
 
“I'd string them up by their…oh…” Devon started, until he caught on to the point she was making and continued sheepishly, “Okay, so maybe he wasn't being that dangerous and um…I did think they were grave robbers at first…and …um, rushed to defend Erin.”
 
“I thought as much. Devon, you and Orphen are both welcome and trusted guests in this house. I know you two don't know each other very well, yet, but he has been protecting her for the last four years and he cares, too. You are going to have to accept that.”
 
“No.” Devon bit out, shaking his head to add emphasis to his denial.
 
“Then, will you accept Cleo's choice?”
 
“What? You mean, she …she and him?” Devon started angrily, not wanting to believe what Tistiny was hinting at.
 
“It's not my place to say one way or the other. But, will you respect what ever decision she makes?”
 
“Yes, ma'am.” Devon said, growling slightly, taking hope in the fact that she hadn't said that Cleo had married that… bastard already. And, anything could happen until then. `I can be very persuasive when I want to be, and I will win you.'
 
“I still have one more topic to discuss with you, young man.”
 
Devon looked up, thinking `What now?'
 
Placing her hand on his shoulder again, she continued in a gentle tone, “I know your life has been completely turned upside-down and you're still reeling from everything. Alik is in the same position. Although everyone has helped, Cleo has been the primary one who has been working so hard to reinstate a normal schedule for Alik and give him the stability to live with everything that has happened. I am asking you, for his sake, not to undermine that or her authority with him.”
 
“He's my brother. He's all I've got left.” Devon choked out.
 
“No one is denying that or trying to take him away from you, but he has suffered, too, and needs all the consistency we can provide. Also I'll add one other thing before I leave you to think for a bit. What do you think your parents would want you to do?” Tistiny paused and Devon nodded sullenly, “Should I send Alik to you? Or should we put him to bed in his room?
 
“His room, I'll join him. He's comfortable there.” Devon said, realizing that would be better for Alik and, as another plus, Alik's room was closer to Cleo's.
 
Tistiny smiled, nodded and left.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
“No, Leki I have not forgiven you. I asked for your help. I appreciate that you have faith in my abilities, but it would have been simpler to just blast him, and shut him up temporarily, rather than upset Alik. Contrary to a few sorcerers' beliefs, I do try to think before I act…I even think about the odds and the consequences.”
 
[Alpha challenged. Make him submit.]
 
“Submit? You've said that before. Why?”
 
[Prove Alpha.]
 
“But you and the others already say I'm the Alpha.”
 
[Alpha challenged. Must accept or shown weak. Pack law.]
 
“But I've always beaten Devon.”
 
[Not smart. Once challenge accepted, lose, then no more fight.]
 
“It's a human thing, Leki.”
 
[Confusing, but challenge is challenge and Wolven no interfere.]
 
“I don't care if the Wolven say Hunter fights for leadership brook no interference. Devon and I have always and will always, fight. This isn't about him wanting to be Alpha and lead, but because he can't accept that I won't follow him around like a,” she paused, smiling slightly at a way to tease Leki, “dog, wagging my tail, begging for his attention.”
 
By then Cleo had reached the door to her room. She heard movement in the room, and realized Orphen had probably used her tub. Grinning she thought, `For all your grousing every time I insist on staying in towns, you like your creature comforts just as much as I do, and I have the biggest tub.' Cleo paused, blushing, as a provocative image of Orphen in her bath flashed across her mind. She blushed further when Leki chimed in.
 
[Mating good. Make pups. Close link first, though.]
 
After pausing momentarily to give the pink on her cheeks time to fade, she knocked lightly on her door, calling out, “You'd better be dressed, `cause I have your dinner and I'm not standing in the hall, waiting to go into my own room.”
 
She opened the door with one hand and balanced the small tray in the other. As she entered, she whispered back to Leki, “Watch over Alik…and his guest. Make sure they get a good night rest, in their room.” She shut the door behind her and suddenly giggled slightly.
 
“What's so funny?” Orphen said. He was clad only in his black pants. He was standing near the bed drying his hair.
 
“Leki.” Cleo said, blushing again at his state of undress. “Um… he understood the other part of what I said, without my saying it.”
 
“You're not making sense.” Orphen said looking up and noticing the obvious blush staining her cheeks. He stifled a moan as he reached for his T-shirt and pulled it over his head. He was feeling the same need that had threatened to consume him previously; he wanted to walk up to her, put the tray aside and pick up where they'd left off a few days ago. She wanted him; the blush as much as said it. `I still can't believe it, but I'm not going to knock it. She wants me… probably as much as I want her, even knowing what I am.' He took a step towards her, intent on finishing what they'd started when he registered she was clarifying herself and he wasn't listening.
 
Cleo paused a moment to huff in indignation at Orphen's line before noticing his eyes had darkened with a passion she'd seen once before. Quickly, she realized she wanted to accept whatever he was going to offer, but with Devon next door, she couldn't. She fidgeted with the tray a moment before continuing, “After I asked Leki to watch over Alik and make sure he stayed in his room, he announced he'd bite Devon in a um…tender spot, if Devon so much as set a foot out of the door before morning.”
 
“Hmmm… maybe I should yell for him to come here.” He grinned, almost thankful for the distraction. `No…between the doc and everything that's going on…we shouldn't. I tempted fate too much tonight bathing here, and I need to talk to her about it.'
 
“Only if you want to heal it. Leki wasn't referring to his bottom.”
 
Orphen winced, involuntarily, as he moved away from the bed and further temptation and sat on the couch. `Ouch, talk about a mood killer,' he thought. “Second thought, I wouldn't wish that on any man or boy.”
 
“Although, I ought to sic him on you. What were you thinking, skipping meals today? I mean, you need to keep up your strength, too.” She groused as she placed the tray next to Orphen on the end table. The tray held his coffee and a plate with a sandwich, a few carrots, and a pickle on it. One glance at the sandwich told Orphen that Cleo hadn't made it; remembering who was in the room, odds were that it was Majic's handi-work. He glanced at the coffee hoping that she made it because Majic's coffee was lousy.
 
“I'm not in the mood for your usual stalling tactics. You talk, I'll eat.” He replied as he took the coffee mug and took a sip. Grinning, he realized she'd made it.
 
“All right. So, which do you want first, the dance or the fiancée?”
 
“None of the above…we need to finish horses,” he said putting the coffee back down and picking up the plate with the sandwich.
 
“Um…what do you mean?” Cleo asked hesitantly.
 
“Don't pull that with me. I know you too well. One throw off a horse would only make you mad, regardless of where you landed, so there's got to be more. You weren't shaking in rage earlier.” He pinned her with his gaze that, although he didn't come out and say it, screamed `spit it out.'
 
“Okay…that could get too frustrating,” Cleo muttered, slumping in the chair across from Orphen, “but you're right. Only my parents, the stable staff and the school administration know exactly what happened later. Mariabella always stops after Devon and I left to go get cleaned up…because she doesn't like to think about the fact that Father demanded that the horse be put down later for going wild and throwing a student.”
 
“Cleo…the horse wasn't wild when you got on him.” Orphen stated pointing out the anomaly in the tale and then took a bite from his sandwich.
 
“Oh …um, that's what Dad said.” Cleo said, fidgeting.
 
Still chewing, Orphen managed an “Um hmmm,” as looked sharply at Cleo. His gaze adding to the message, `there's more and we both know it.'
 
“You're not buying that, are you? It's funny, everyone else did.” She responded, ruefully.
 
“I'm not everyone else. And don't even try to change the subject. The horse?”
 
“Have I told you today how annoying you can be?”
 
Grinning, “You told me that this morning, loudly, and you're still stalling. The horse.”
 
“Okay…you're right, I didn't let one throw scare me off horses. In fact, after I got cleaned up, I went back to the stables to ask the Stable Master for another horse I could ride.” She relaxed slightly as she remembered something else from that time and sat forward, “My horse wasn't being shod, he had bruised a hoof on the way back from a trip to town that I'd taken. I'd gone to the store to get…”
 
“Cleo…the stable.” Orphen said, before she got too far off track. This time, she was just being her usual self and getting distracted.
 
“Oh, yeah…” she said, contritely at the reminder and leaned back a bit. The tension returned to her shoulders. She continued, “and I didn't want to risk riding him until that was better. As you probably know, it's pretty standard for the Stable Master to have an office in the stable, so that's where I was headed when I noticed that the horse I'd ridden earlier was still saddled and bucking in the corral...”
 
Orphen stopped eating to give her his undivided attention and put his plate down, as he realized where this was going, from the clues she'd dropped earlier, and her overall body language, but he didn't interrupt her.
 
“I looked around and didn't see the stable hand I'd asked to take care of the horse anywhere. As you can imagine, I was upset by what I saw as his neglect and I immediately went to tend the horse and get the saddle off of him. What I didn't know at the time, was that the sable hand had been unsuccessfully trying to calm the horse and had gone for help from the Stable Master. The stable hand had only succeeded in stirring the horse up further.” Cleo paused, gulping, curling her legs up under her and crossing her arms as she replayed the next part in her head. She was surprised that it didn't strike the raw terror in her that it used to. `But then you've had plenty more to fuel your nightmares recently, haven't you?' she asked herself inwardly. She glanced up at Orphen and, to her surprise and pleasure, saw only patent support in his eyes, no judgment or disapproval. It gave her the courage she needed to continue.
 
“When I approached it, it smelled me and I-I guess it associated me with the start of its pain. It spooked further and reared wildly. I dodged a couple of times, b-but quickly realized I was making things worse, so I ran for the fence to get out of the corral. It followed or bucked in my direction, I-I don't know which. I climbed the fence and was almost out when the horse charged the fence, and me. The horse reared still trying to buck the saddle off, o-or chase me away, or both. It crashed into the fence, breaking its leg and falling. The last things I heard were the cracking of the fence, or maybe it was the horse's leg, a loud bang and then darkness, dampness and various noxious smells for a very long time.” She shuddered at the memories and leaned back in the chair. Realizing she was still shaking a bit, she shifted her position a bit, bringing her knees up to her chest and wrapping her arms around them and rested her chin on top of her knees. She wasn't ready to look back at Orphen, so she kept her eyes averted as she started on the easier part.
 
“I was told later what happened was that, as the horse reared, the Stable Master had come out of his office, with his gun, just in case it became necessary to put the horse down. He saw me falling, the horse rearing and colliding with the fence and realized that the horse had broken a leg, so he shot. The horse died instantly and fell on top of me. It took twenty minutes for him and the stable hands to get the horse's body off me.”
 
“You weren't injured?” Orphen interrupted.
 
“No… Although, thinking about it, I probably should have been, but…I think…” Cleo brought her eyebrows together as she tried to remember, “I-I vaguely remember lots of fence pieces around. So maybe the remains of the fence took the weight of the horse as it fell. I… well, I don't remember for certain.”
 
Orphen realized she had no clue just how close she came to dying or at least being seriously hurt. Inwardly, he was grateful she wasn't more permanently scarred by the events. After all, coming away from those events with only a fear of horses was nothing, especially when compared to what might have happened. A large part of him wanted to cross to the chair she was in, just to be near her, to reassure himself that she was fine. Even if this happened years ago, he still had the urge to protect. The other part of him knew they still had a lot of discussion to get through before they could end the day, and frankly, he was tired.
 
“But, anyway, the Stable Master scooped me up and took me to the showers, again, and hosed me down. As he was carrying me, he was shouting orders: to get the nurse, get the administrators, and send for my parents. He stayed close, until the nurse arrived and she took over. She and I were great friends; I usually saw her at least once a week.
 
“Always said you were a klutz.” Orphen said quietly, trying to lighten the mood. That experience would scare anyone. He watched proudly as his words sunk in. She uncurled from the ball she'd made herself and leaned forward to fire back at him. Suppressing a grin, he thought, `She's so easily distracted.'
 
“For your information, I was usually dragging someone else to the infirmary. You've met him, blonde hair, blue eyes, and a really annoying personality.” Cleo retorted, grateful to get off the subject of what happened to the horse.
 
“Him… that sounds more like someone else I know.” Orphen said teasingly, as he added in a thought, `He's much more annoying, I can tell he's not someone I can warn away with a glare like the twits on the road. Not to mention his connection with Alik, that'll take some serious thinking. Not that I'm going to tell you any of that.'
 
Cleo arched an eyebrow and issued a bit of a challenge, “I can stop here.”
 
“There was more? Or are you meaning the aftermath?”
 
“You be nice.” She said, rising slightly to grab two carrots off his plate. She took one and stuck the other in his mouth. “I meant we still have two topics after this, unless you don't want to hear.”
 
He chewed the offering with a slight glower before he looked up at her expectantly.
 
“Fine…” She moaned as she sat back down, “and you're right, it's really just aftermath. I was fine but a horse died because of our, Devon's and my, actions. My father arrived the next day. How he got there so fast, I'll never understand, but he set up a cover story with the administrators. Devon's dad arrived next and took him home, since he was expelled because of the stunt, even though he explained he only wanted to humiliate me. He'd kept the horse in the corral to prevent bolting and lined the corral with hay as a cushion. He completely missed the point that he was being expelled, not only for that, but also for putting a burr under the saddle that eventually lead to the destruction of an innocent life.
 
I went home for a couple of weeks, too. Dad kept trying to get me back on a horse, but I still have issues. It's better than it was; I used to throw-up whenever I smelled them.”
 
Quickly swallowing the last remnants of the carrot she'd put in his mouth, Orphen said, “That makes more sense and better explains your reaction. I can't promise we won't have to ride from time to time, but I'll understand if you're too scared to ride on your own.”
 
Cleo snorted, brandishing her uneaten carrot at him, “You don't think others have tried that tact with me? The list is long and distinguished: Dad, Mom, Mariabella, Majic and even Bagup. Just because you got me on a horse once…don't think you can do it again.” As soon as she finished, she thought over what she said and realized she'd issued a challenge. And Orphen never backed down from a challenge. Backpedaling, she added, “That was not a challenge.”
 
“We'll see.” Orphen said, grinning fiendishly.
 
“Oh, crap…I smell a lot of horses in my future.”
 
Orphen snickered, not confirming or denying her suspicions. He decided to move them on to the next topic, “So…the fiancée?”
 
“Devon.” Cleo said, pausing to take a bite and chew on the carrot a minute before continuing. “Look, it's a non-existent issue as far as I'm concerned. However, the facts are that, after more generations then anyone could remember in the three families, the first girls were born, Mariabella, me and Erin's sister. I don't remember her name, Mother would know, I should ask her later. We were told that she died young, but… Devon said something about finding her… so I don't know what's up with that. I'll ask him later. But anyway, the thought was to marry the families, uniting them even more. I believe the original agreement was between Mariabella and Devon. When I was born, that changed. Since a younger wife is more traditional, Devon's father insisted on switching. I was barely named when I was betrothed to Devon. Do you know the difference between an engagement and a betrothal?” She asked popping the rest of the carrot in her mouth and quickly chewing.
 
“An engagement is an agreement between the future husband and wife. A betrothal is arranged by the parents.”
 
“That's essentially correct. Additionally though, an engagement requires both parties to go in front of a minister or judge to finalize it. In our case, the betrothal meant for all intents and purposes the couple is married and pending... um…consummation.”
 
“What the hell?!?” Orphen shouted angrily, nearly dropping the plate with the last few bites of the sandwich on it. Internally, he was upset for less obvious reasons, `Damn it, why does this always happen to me? I get my damn life in order and something messes it up. Well… not this time! I'm not giving up this dream! I've decided and… wait… what am I stressing for? She already said it was voided.'
 
Cleo was surprised by the vehemence of his response and more than a little flattered, even as she moved to sit next to him and hurried to assuage his worries. “That's how our betrothal contract was written, the contracts very greatly, I figured you'd know that being in court and all. My father tore the contract up when I was five. He even went so far as to file an affidavit that it was no longer valid and that Mariabella and I could choose our own spouses. It... it was even in his will.” Cleo paused gulping as a flood of memories of her father washed over her. She treasured the memories, even as she missed him horribly, especially now.
 
“The betrothal hasn't been in existence since I was five, but Devon's father didn't give up. He kept pressuring my parents and, when they remained firm, instead of giving up, he changed tactics. He encouraged Devon to woo me and win my affections. But Devon, being Devon, took it a step further. I had a shadow wherever I went; he kept all other `competition', as he saw it, away. If there's a silver lining to anything, the events with the horse got Devon banned from school and from visiting the house for a while.”
 
Orphen sat in shock, not so much about the events; he'd kind of guessed that was what had happened. It was the realization that, in some ways, he was no better than Devon. Under the excuse of protecting her from un-savory attention, he'd done the same thing. Even as he denied his feelings, he still kept her away from others. Others who might have attracted her attention and encouraged her to leave him. He knew her well enough to know she'd never willingly leave him, but if she'd gotten romantically attached to someone… that would have been different. They would have taken his place. When that thought crossed his mind, he recognized, with a shock that, subconsciously, he'd claimed her as his long before he consciously acknowledged how he felt. He felt content again; she was where she belonged, with him. They were as good as engaged and, after this mess was over, they'd marry. After he asked her when she was actually awake, that is.
 
Abruptly aware that it had become quiet, Orphen realized he'd been musing for a while and Cleo had stopped speaking. She was now sitting next to him and lightly tapped him on the shoulder, asking, “You awake?”
 
“Yes, but it's been very a long day and I am tired. However, we still have one more topic.”
 
“I know, but first, you do understand about the arrangement, don't you? I didn't and don't want it, or…” She was blushing and looking down.
 
“I know.” Orphen said, feeling confident again as he put an arm around her for a quick hug. “So, the dance?”
 
“There's a lot to explain there.” She said, leaning away from him as she animatedly started describing the events. “I guess first, I'd better give some background. You already know that Devon was operating from the assumption that we'd marry later, but there are a few other players in this story. The only one I really need to name is… Nerilissa.”
 
“Who…? Oh…wait, that's the wench…err… waitress in Bagup's inn. Right?”
 
Cleo grinned slightly, thinking, `Despite all of Neri's attempts at attracting you, you really were clueless. I suppose I should be relieved, but I remember I was worried you didn't like women.'
She answered Orphen's question, “Personally, I think you were right the first time. Yes, she is and was then.”
 
Orphen had finished eating and put his plate aside as he leaned back on the couch. “So …” he prompted.
 
“Okay, background first. I don't know if you've noticed, but Neri and I don't particularly like each other,” she said as she curled her legs up on the couch.
 
“I don't especially care for the wench, either. She…” Orphen paused thinking about how he wanted to continue. Although he didn't remember her name, she was forever engrained in his memory as an insensitive bitch after her comments in the tavern when he was drinking. “…isn't very good with people.”
 
“Oh…she's very popular with the men that come through town.”
 
“Oh…one of those. It makes sense, there's one in every inn.” Orphen snorted. He saw Cleo tense slightly and saw a flicker of pain run through her eyes. Before he could sort out what that glance meant, she continued the story.
 
“Anyway, she's never liked me… or Mariabella, either. Even when we were little, I tried to be friendly with her; offering to play, or share my toys or share lunch with her or invite her to the house. Nothing worked. I didn't realize why until Mother pointed it out much later. All my efforts only served to show her how much I had and how little she did. Most people don't believe me when I tell them it wasn't intentional, but it really wasn't.
 
“Well, you are a brat…” Orphen teased, grinning as she stuck her tongue out at him, but he continued before she could retort, “… but you're not cruel.” He thought that it explained Nerilissa's reactions in the tavern and he now had a feel for how the dance had gone; they had fought, over Devon. `Jeez, I'll bet he loved that. Bastard.'
 
After Orphen's jab, and small compliment, Cleo continued. “She apparently felt I was rubbing it in her face, and she set about trying to take things away from me or to outdo me in everything. As we got older, that competition started revolving around… boys.”
 
“During this particular visit, Devon and his family were staying at Bagup's inn, because Mother was refurbishing the guest wing of the house. Although, I think it really was that Mother didn't want either Devon or his father in the house. During one of their previous visits, our dads got into a fight and demolished the kitchen completely. You know, I think that our dads fought even more than Devon and I do. I remember one time that Dad pushed Mr. Enduring into the lake in the middle of winter. They were fighting over something to do with their business.”
 
“Cleo, what does that have to do with the dance?”
 
“Um…oh…nothing. I just remembered it.” Cleo said looking at Orphen. She saw the slightly amused and annoyed expression on his face, and realized she'd gone off on a tangent again. “I'm sorry. Anyway, by staying at the inn, Devon and Neri met. I don't know exactly what happened, but I can imagine how they started talking…with him spouting off about being my fiancée and her flirting with him to …um, steal his attentions, especially if she thought I chose him.
 
Before the dance, our mothers had a talk with me, encouraging me to give Devon a chance, now that we were older. I said I would, and agreed to go with him as his date.
 
At the dance, I had my first real grown-up dancing dress. I was only twelve at the time and was terribly excited. Even if I had to go with Devon, I would finally get to go to the evening activities for the first time. I may not have necessarily welcomed the attention, but I was told later that Devon seemed mesmerized by me. I didn't even know what that meant at the time. It was a little …well, a lot unnerving, it felt like everyone was watching me.” Cleo paused a second, `Well, not everyone. There was that one cute guy; he looked like I felt… uncomfortable. He had a great smile though, but I never saw him again.' She shook her head slightly realizing that even if she hadn't verbalized it, she was getting off track again, and Orphen would probably not be that patent anymore…it was getting late.
 
“Devon and I danced the first three sets together, then he went to get us some punch. I saw him talking to a few of the guys there and then he came back. We drank the punch and he excused himself. He was gone for twenty minutes before I got worried and started looking for him.”
 
Orphen raised an eyebrow, smirking.
 
“Okay…” Cleo said, rolling her eyes, “that's just annoying. All right, before I got pissed at him and went to hunt him down.”
 
“Better.” Orphen said as an unbidden memory flashed in his head, of a blonde-haired, blue-eyed, cute-as-a-button pixie, who'd bumped into him near the punch bowl during his second visit to Totokonta. `The old man forced me to make an appearance at the dance because, according to him, my social skills sucked. She came up and, although polite, she was obviously seething at someone. She was looking for her date. If she hadn't been looking for a boy, I probably would have asked her to dance.' Orphen froze a bit when he realized something; the pixie made him feel the same way Cleo did when he was on the tower. `The time frame and location is right. Could that have been? …No…not a chance.'
 
“That year, the dance was held indoors, in City Hall, which, as you know, is only a few doors down from Bagup's tavern. I found him there, with Neri. They were…um...I mean he was… and she was… um…”
 
“Just spit it out, Cleo.”
 
“You know, this would have been a lot easier if you were in the room when this,” Cleo paused and smirked as she continued, “was exposed earlier.”
 
“You're not making sense, Cleo.” Orphen continued in a thought, `Not that that's anything new.'
 
“Look, I really don't want go over it. Just leave it at that I saw something that infuriated me.”
 
“That doesn't narrow things down much.”
 
“I do not get angry that much!”
 
Orphen snorted, and crossed his arms.
 
“Oh, fine! Now…let's just say, there is one table in the tavern I absolutely refuse to eat off of.”
 
“You don't mean they…on a table in the tavern…” Orphen muttered in disgust.
 
“Yeah… you'd just left the room when this came up. Um…and, um…some good news, you won't have to have the sex talk with Alik. He's already had it with his mother. Because, as I discovered tonight, the um… let's call it a ….um… a table dance, is somewhat of a habit for Devon. But back to that night, as you can imagine…I was offended.”
 
“Why does the phrase understatement come to my mind?”
 
“Gee, thanks.” She said sarcastically, “But you're right, it's a little like saying Majic is an oblivious and innocent babe magnet. Oh… by the way, he's also a witness to one of Devon's… table dances.”
 
“Is there anyone who isn't?”
 
“Um…you.”
 
“Thank goodness for small mercies. So, as you were saying.” He said picking up his cup to finish off his coffee.
 
“Well…I was furious and I acted…um…without really thinking it though. They didn't even notice me when I barged in the side door and walked around to their heads. I punched Devon in the chin… knocking him over backwards off the table and onto his bare ass. Giving me, um …an eyeful.” Cleo blushed red at the memory. “And, frankly, if I never see that again, it'll be too soon.” She said, shuddering.
 
“Once I got over my surprise, I stormed out, leaving Devon …hanging in the wind and cursing me out. So was Neri, for that matter. I charged out the main door that time and saw the queue of …um…gentlemen, apparently waiting their turn. As I ran past the line, I took careful notice of the faces of the ones waiting. I was almost back to the town hall when I started hearing Devon frantically calling my name and hurrying after me.
 
I marched into the hall, with Devon practically at my heels, went to the stage, stopped the music and made an announcement. I didn't realize it, but Neri was also right behind him. The members of the line were standing by the door. I announced what I witnessed and then gave a list of the guys in the line in front of the whole damn town.”
 
“Shit…you didn't.” Orphen exclaimed, dropping his now empty cup to the floor.
 
“I did.” Cleo said, grinning, as they both reached down to pick up the cup. She sat back up and picked at the arm of the couch as she continued, “Let's just say I wasn't very popular with the guys after that for telling on them. I don't think anyone would have believed me, if not for three things: One, Devon coming in with Neri's underclothes sticking out of his boot. Two, Neri following close behind him, still buttoning her blouse. Three, the entire list of gentleman I'd named, obviously sneaking in the door behind Neri. Devon accused me of spying, but someone pointed out that I'd been looking for my missing date for about twenty minutes. Next, Neri accused me of being jealous and I'd had enough. While Neri and I were engaged in a shouting match, Devon snuck out the back, just as the adults started to break up the fights that had broken out around the room.”
 
“You turned the festival dance into a brawl.”
 
“Hey…I just…”
 
“Started a war at the dance.”
 
“Okay…so maybe it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but a couple of the girls were engaged to the guys in the line and… well, shouldn't they know what type of man they were marrying? And I won't even start in on the married ones. I mean… the women needed to know… didn't they?” Cleo paused, waiting for Orphen to answer.
 
Unsure of exactly how he wanted to answer that particular question, he chose to simply nod.
“That's not much of an answer. But I…I did what I felt was right.”
 
Orphen laughed slightly, “You know, Cleo, you're the only girl I know that could disrupt a festival that totally,” Orphen saw her bristling and added, “for all the right reasons.”
 
“I-I guess, but it really wasn't my fault. If anyone should be blamed, it should be Devon, he was the one who couldn't keep his pants on.”
 
“So is that all? You made the announcement, war broke out, so…what happened next?”
 
“That wasn't enough?”
 
“I know you…there's always more.” Also, Orphen remembered being teased later for missing the fireworks when he left the dance early. One of the things he remembered was something about two girls fighting.
 
“Um….well, you… you know my temper.”
 
Orphen gave her a look that said volumes, so she continued, “The war, as you put it, really didn't happen because of the wronged women or the guilty men. The war really broke out when I realized Devon had skipped out. Leaving me to face the consequences for his actions. I was so angry and I didn't have an outlet. Until Neri smiled, obviously enjoying my humiliation, and she became the outlet. She may have had three inches and twenty pounds on me, but…” Cleo looked down at her hands ashamed of herself, “Dad had to physically drag me off of her before I could do any real damage, even though it was Devon I really wanted to pound. I did manage to sneak out later that night to catch him. I think my dad knew but didn't say anything. Devon got a double dose, I won our private fist fight and his dad tanned his bottom for losing to a girl. They all left the following morning…and, after the library was cleaned and re-alphabetized, so did I. For boarding school, to learn how to be a proper lady.”
 
“They sent you away?” Orphen asked, surprised. That really didn't sound like her parents. He knew Tistiny and she wouldn't send Cleo away for just one incident. Especially considering Cleo was justifiably provoked.
 
“I was supposed to go the year before, but…that got delayed, you… um, you know why, now. So it wasn't like it was a surprise. I missed my friends here, but I made new ones there. Mariabella was there and… well… it was nice not having the see Neri all the time. So, any more questions?”
 
“Only if there's something else you want to bring up.” She looked up at him, slightly panicked, but relaxed when she saw he was only suggesting, there was no pressure.
 
She started to shake her head, then paused and added, “Wait…um…there is something.”
 
Orphen's eyes widened, `Is she really going to talk about what happened?' Going against his usual instincts to keep everyone away, he reached out and pulled her close.
 
“I-I can't…” She started and he wilted, “I mean, I'm still not ready… for everything. But I-I talked to Majic today and I…” She stopped when Orphen put a finger on her lips.
 
He pulled her into his lap and hugged her closer. “Majic told me, but thank you for keeping your promise.” He paused before continuing, “I'm proud of you. You did the right thing.”
 
“Really? T-Thank you, I-I… that means a lot. I-I couldn't regret doing it, I had to destroy the crystals… but I-I was scared on so many levels. Him…You…”
 
`Me?' he thought surprised and hurt that she'd actually say it, `but it does give me a chance to reassure her.' He brought a hand up to caress her cheek and wiped away the tears that were flowing down her cheeks. “The only thing you should regret is fearing the wrong person.” He lightly kissed her on the forehead, and continued, “I don't think I could hate you if I tried. Besides, you know I don't scold where unjustified. You didn't do anything wrong,” he paused, eyes twinkling with mischief as he added, “This time.”
 
She lifted her head up and glared at him, catching the glint in his eye and smiled back. She nodded and snuggled into his chest, enjoying the closeness.
 
“Better?” He asked.
 
She raised her head to look up again, grinned and nodded.
 
“All right then, I think we've had quite enough excitement for one evening. It's been an extremely long day.”
 
“I'm tired… err …drained, actually, but I'm going to take a bath first.” Cleo said as she slipped off his lap, walked across the room, and grabbed a couple of things from her dresser, before heading for the bathroom.
 
“Cleo, wait.” Orphen said, realizing they had one other thing to talk about.
 
She turned back, looking at him expectantly.
 
“About what happened in Alik's room a few days ago.” Orphen paused thinking how he wanted to address his near loss of control, “It won't happen again.”
 
Cleo's eyes widened in surprise and she gasped slightly. Her mind was going quickly assuming he meant that he didn't want her anymore. `But, wait, no… I can't have been reading him that completely wrong, he cares and he's not making any move to leave, but why? I'll never know unless I ask.' She gulped before looking him straight in the eye and asked, “Excuse me?”
 
While she was thinking, Orphen was silently cursing himself at his phrasing, `Brilliant, just brilliant, way to make your fiancée feel comfortable…make her think you don't want her when…it's the opposite.' He braced himself for her explosion or fight but was very surprised when she gave him the opportunity to explain it. “I meant, I wouldn't lose control again and be so demanding.”
 
“Oh… Was I complaining?” She said blushing again, remembering the feelings evoked and wanting to experience them again with Orphen.
 
While she was woolgathering, Orphen stood and walked close to her. Putting a hand on each shoulder he pulled her in an embrace. “No you weren't, but right now, for a number of reasons, including some threats from the doc, I…we need to wait.”
 
Wrapping her arms around him, she snuggled into the embrace, “I understood that then…and now. But…” She paused unsure about asking this, it was almost pushing him, asking for more; however, she needed to know. She bit her lip and lost her courage, “um…never mind.”
 
Orphen brought his hand down to her chin and lifted her face to look at him, “Continue… but what?”
 
“Um… well… Is later a promise?”
 
Orphen smiled unable to stifle a short snort of laughter, and then gazed down at her. “Definitely,” he said bending his head down to kiss her lightly. “Now…didn't you have something to do?”
 
She grinned up at him, “Yes, a bath if someone wouldn't keep distracting me.” She leaned up and gave him a quick peck on his cheek and turned to go to the bathroom.
 
Orphen moved back to the bed, hearing her moving around the bathroom, grousing at him, “Orphen, can't you keep the water in the bath tub?!? Jeez…what did you do? Jump in and do a cannon ball? There's water everywhere!”
 
Grinning while he listened to her, he recalled that, while he didn't do the cannon ball as she accused, he'd been in a rush to towel dry and dress; mostly when he heard her coming up the stairs, earlier than he expected.
 
He got comfortable on her bed as he heard her start the water. To keep his mind off her bathing, he started reviewing the things she'd told him, happy for the additional insight into her early teen years. When he got to the battle scene at the dance, he started grinning slightly as he thought, `Only my Cleo would start an all out war at a dance…albeit under the best of intentions.'
 
His grin faded completely as he focused on the other star in the subject matter for the evening. `You little shit, not only did you abandon her to clean up your mess… you still have the gall to come back here and expect her to welcome you. You even try to announce that she's yours. Like hell! You're so wrong! She's not yours, come to think of it, she never really was. How'd I get so lucky?' He shook his head in disbelief, grinning, thinking how much he enjoyed teasing her. Especially calling her a burden and a stowaway, but privately admitting that, even then, he'd been glad to have her along.
 
He heard her happily humming in the tub and thought he'd close his eyes for a minute. When he opened them again, a blanket covered him and Cleo was snuggled close. He shifted her head off his arm, which had fallen asleep, rolled them over on their sides, and promptly went back to sleep.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
That's another chapter in the can and the end of a very long day for Orphen and company. Also, I'd like to add another grateful statement to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedules to follow my story despite infrequent updates. As always, if you include your E-mail or sign-in under your profile, I will respond personally (if slowly, I've been busy lately.) In closing I'd like to do a general thank you to everyone who reviewed. So thank you: AnimeGoddessS, Cristina, f-zelda, Haruka1-chan, Palmtree & Setzu.