Sorcerer Stabber Orphen Fan Fiction ❯ It's in the Family ❯ Chapter 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The usual, I don't own any of the characters in SSO.

This is set after Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: Revenge. This is based off the Anime only and the English ADV versions at that. Warning Spoilers!
 
Author's note: Let's see if you really read these. First off, you'll probably want to get drinks and popcorn. Then settle in and get comfy …cause I think this is my longest chapter yet. Since I made you wait, I made it worth your while.
 
Chapter 15*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Shortly after dawn, Devon and a bleary-eyed Hartia started out on their journey to the Ongoing estate. Alik had clung to Devon, not wanting him to leave again, but was eventually persuaded that since he was taking a Wolven and Hartia with him, he'd be safe. Still, it took a pinky promise from Devon to return as fast as possible to finally persuade Alik to let Devon leave.
 
After their departure the remaining group was very subdued as they went along with the usual morning routine of having breakfast, cleaning up and going about their daily business. Although a trip to town had been planned, the early part of the day's activities included Orphen and Majic working in the library on the second rune copy, Cleo and Alik going off together in another part of the house and Tistiny and Mariabella working in the upstairs sitting room on more tasks for the festival. Leki, knowing the best places for it, depending on the time of day, was sunning himself on a window seat in the library.
 
A couple of hours after everyone had scattered to their different tasks, Tistiny walked into the library where Orphen and Majic were. She announced, "You have a visitor, Orphen."
 
Reluctantly standing, Orphen nodded, "My sister?" Leki's head perked up when Orphen spoke.
 
"Yes. I escorted her to the den, since she's been there a couple of times." Tistiny paused before continuing, "Should I send in coffee or tea? Or will this be a short visit?"
 
"Short." Orphen ground out as he stepped toward the door of the library to head for the den. Leki stood and stretched before jumping down to follow Orphen, who paused at the door and asked, "Where is Cleo?"
 
"She and Alik are occupied…" Tistiny paused a moment before continuing, "elsewhere in the house."
 
Orphen's eyebrows furrowed, puzzled by Tistiny's choice of words and pause, but didn't immediately comment. He then turned to Majic, "If they re-surface before my discussion with Azalie is finished, distract them."
 
"Of course," Majic said.
 
Tistiny smiled understandingly, recognizing that Orphen had just sent someone to spy on Cleo and Alik. 'About time. Even though she has approval, it's time he knows about the work she's already doing.' She mused internally before focusing on the events and discussions from the previous evening. 'Was it really only last night? It seems much longer.'
 
"Thanks." Orphen said, exiting the library with Leki trailing at his heels.
 
He quickly walked to the room where Azalie was waiting for him. Pausing just outside the door, he steeled himself for what was likely going to be an unpleasant confrontation. Silently, he calculated the time it should take before a couple of things happened, one Tistiny sent the coffee anyway, or two, and worse, Cleo came searching for him and managed to dodge Majic. He needed to make sure he got Azalie out of the house before Cleo came looking for him. The last thing he needed was an additional conflict.
 
He stepped in and felt Leki bump into his feet. He looked around the room to see Azalie standing near the window, looking out. She didn't move even as she greeted him, "Good morning, Krylancelo."
 
"Hello, Azalie." Orphen answered, but added in a slightly teasing tone, "I'm surprised you're here this early. You never were what I would call a morning person when we were both at the Tower."
 
"I came to speak to Hartia. I was told he left early this morning." Azalie stated, refusing to rise to his bait.
 
Orphen shut the door and leaned against it, crossing his arms. "I'm aware of that. Why are you still here?" Leki sensing the tension, started to weave around and through Orphen's legs.
 
"Obviously, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to speak to you." Azalie said, turning away form the window to face Orphen.
 
"Well?" Orphen prompted.
 
"I still need to talk to him." She replied in a clipped tone, knowing from his stance and tone, that he was already aware of why she was here.
 
"He told me what happened."
 
"Figures." Azalie said with a grimace. Aware that he wasn't going to give anything up until she started asking questions, with a sigh, she asked, "He mentioned two other Hunters were lost, is that true?"
 
"Yes."
 
"Did you really…" Azalie asked, realizing she hadn't actually believed Hartia when he said that Orphen had destroyed the entire site in anger.
 
"Yes."
 
"Why?"
 
"None of your business." Orphen bit off. He maintained his position by the door, partly so he could prevent anyone entering the room unexpectedly, since he now knew this conversation was going from bad to worse. Apparently Leki agreed, because he scratched at the door indicating he wanted out. Looking down, Orphen sighed, reached behind him for the doorknob and cracked the door open enough to let Leki out.
 
Once in the hall, Leki hurried to join Cleo and Alik.
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
After Orphen left the library, Majic set aside the rune copy to start searching for Cleo and Alik. Before he left the room, he mentally went over the list of possible locations they could be, including Cleo's room, Alik's room, the kitchen, the attic and several other rooms of the house. He knew she usually checked in every hour or so. When Orphen left, it had been about forty-five minutes since the last time. If he searched all those locations, he would quickly run out of time. He looked around the room and realized he had a rather amused audience watching him think.
 
Once she realized he'd noticed her, Tistiny spoke up, "You know, all you have to do is ask. Should you really think about it though, you'll be able to figure out where they are."
 
Majic stood, smacked his head, and hurried to the basement. 'Why didn't I think of her father's office earlier? He had a full gym down there, too. Oh…and that explains why Tistiny said what she said earlier…and how she said it. Cleo's exercising. I hope she isn't over doing it.'
 
Once he got to the basement door, he opened it and started down the stairs. The first stair creaked significantly and Majic thought he saw movement at the bottom of the stairs in reaction to the sound. 'A spy?' He thought, 'or a lookout. She did that for her dad; I should have expected it. Then again, what am I doing? Spying for Master. Well… I need to find out what she's up to.' He called out as he continued downstairs, "Hello? Cleo are you down there?"
 
After a slight pause, Cleo responded, sounding a little winded, "We're down here, Majic."
 
As he walked down the stairs, he felt like he was going back in time. He'd visited this room quite a few times, when he'd been hunting for Cleo or responding to her summons. Whenever her father was home, she had shadowed him everywhere. Mariabella took to her mother and did things with her, but Cleo… well, for all her fashion talk, she was a tomboy who had trailed after her father wherever he'd allow.
 
Entering the room, Majic mused, 'It hasn't changed at all.' The majority of the room was devoted to an exercise area. The first half of the exercise section had weights, benches and a punching bag. The second half had a large mat for wrestling or martial arts. Painted on the mat was a series of circles that, if he remembered correctly, Cleo's dad had used in weapons training. At the absolute rear of the room was a small office with books and a desk. Cleo was sitting at the desk with Leki curled up by her feet and Alik was running around the track that ran along the edge of the room.
 
Crossing the room, Majic was assailed by many memories, including seeing Mr. Everlasting lifting weights or sparing with the multiple wooden practice weapons with Devon's father or even Cleo. He looked at the wall opposite the weapons rack and saw the dartboard. Judging by the new holes and position of the darts, it had been used recently. 'So this is where you taught Alik darts. She found a safe place to do that without disobeying the restrictions that have been placed on her recently.' Majic chuckled slightly, shaking his head, 'Okay, this is getting just freaky; she's behaving and being sensible. Dare, I hope to think that Cleo might be maturing? But then again, after everything that's happened…I have my answer.'
 
He looked closely at her and even though she was obviously sitting at the table and, at first glance, doing something sedate, she was also breathing hard and sweating.
 
She was watching him almost as closely as he was her. "So, what's so funny?"
 
Majic grinned, "You behaving yourself, well… in your fashion."
 
"What do you mean by that?"
 
"I mean, you're told to stay in the house where it's safe and we expect that will result in you taking it easy…but, following the letter of the law, you figure out a way twist our expectations. And to add to my frustration, you still are able to do precisely what you want without anyone the wiser."
 
"Oh…" Cleo said, giving up the pretext that she hadn't been working out. She knew she shouldn't have expected to fool him but she needed this and she wasn't going to apologize for it. "I'm doing what I have to. You know what's coming…even with Devon back, we're all going to have to work together."
 
"Your mom wasn't concerned, so I'm guessing you have permission from the doc."
 
Cleo nodded. "As long as I'm careful not to over do it. I'm sure you've noticed how regularly I check in. The doc said no more than an hour a day for anything strenuous and I have to carefully stretch before I do anything. Believe me, Mother's been watching me carefully or having someone else watch me." Cleo said with a meaningful glance at Alik.
 
"As long as you're careful. But you shouldn't just tell me."
 
"I know, but I… It's like getting to know him all over again. Where I could previously predict exactly how he was going to react to anything, now he's reacting differently."
 
"I… well, I have some ideas on that, but…" Majic said as Alik bounded up after his circuit of the track in the room. "Why don't we continue this discussion outside?" When neither of them moved quickly enough, Majic teasingly added, "Unless, of course, you're not interested and I'll just…"
 
"Outside!" Alik yelled and started running to the stairs, followed immediately by Leki.
 
As she stood to follow, Cleo called out, "Slowly, Alik."
 
"Yes, Cleo." Alik's voice replied from the top of the stairs. Cleo just grinned and followed with Majic at a slower pace.
 
They walked out to the garden and were immediately joined by Polikapi. He and Alik started playing a game, essentially hide and seek with Leki. Majic and Cleo found a bench to sit on to watch the game. Cleo sat down gratefully, aware that she was a little more tired than she originally thought.
 
"So, to pick up where we left off, is it bad that Master is reacting differently?"
 
"Oh…no. I'm just not used to it. We talk now…instead of just fighting. I-I like it, but…"
 
"You're not used to it." Majic finished repeating the point for her. "You know, he's still Orphen. Overbearing, single-minded, dictatorial and tight-lipped. And never let's you know what he's thinking."
 
"I don't know about that last bit, Majic. We've always been able to get him to open up to us, eventually. But lately he's actually been… volunteering things."
 
"And you're not sure how to react to that."
 
"Right." Cleo responded, adding, "And I'm not sure where we're going."
 
"Cleo, you know it works both ways. You've changed, too."
 
"Me… what do you mean?"
 
"Look at how you are with Alik. A few months ago, you probably wouldn't have had the patience with him that you do now. For that matter, what about a few minutes ago? You were exercising, with permission, in a way where you didn't break any of the other restrictions placed on you. That's subtle…which previously wasn't your forte."
 
"Oh… I hadn't really thought of that. I was just trying to avoid a lecture."
 
"Yes but you're still doing it. A few months ago you wouldn't have. Or you would have done it deliberately just to provoke a fight."
 
"I guess you're right." Cleo replied, looking out over the garden, "What do you think is going to come of all this? You, me, and Orphen?"
 
Majic was about to reply when he saw a flash indicating that Orphen had 'ported to the roof, most likely to brood. "Damn it," he muttered.
 
"Huh? What's wrong, Majic?" Cleo said, concerned because Majic didn't curse much. She glanced over to check on Alik, only to see him happily playing with the Wolven, like he didn't have a care in the world, just like a normal child.
 
"Master." Majic said quietly. "He may be in a bad mood. He had a visitor this morning."
 
"Why didn't you tell me, Majic? Let's go back in. I should say hello…"
 
Majic interrupted, "Not this time."
 
Cleo finally registered his exact words, "Why? Nothing's wrong with her or Childman, I hope? Did the Tower send news? Did Lai see something new? Has there…"
 
"Whoa, Cleo. Slow down." Majic pleaded. "As far as I know nothing is wrong with her, Childman or Lai. I-I mean Lai didn't see anything …um, that I know of… Will you just let me talk for minute?"
 
"Okay." She said and waited expectantly.
 
Once she was quiet, Majic found himself at a loss for words. "Um…I-I'm not sure exactly where to begin."
 
"Azalie…" Cleo prompted.
 
"Actually, it didn't start with her, after the um… explorations yesterday, Hartia went back to the Tower to make his report. From what I understand, it… um…didn't go too well. She and Hartia exchanged… words."
 
"In other words, Hartia was upset and looking for an outlet and she obliged with a fight?" Cleo summarized. Hearing the discussion about the Tower reminded Cleo there was something she needed to ask her mother and she made a mental note to do that when she got inside.
 
"Okay…this is too scary. I know you don't know what happened, but that is almost exactly what Master said when Hartia told us what happened at the Tower."
 
"I'd … oh… If Azalie upset him, I'd better go get the story directly from him. Besides, we're supposed to be heading into town shortly for the ice cream."
 
"Um…you might want to …freshen up, first." Majic said grinning as he pinched his nose. "Unless you want to have to explain that to…" Majic trailed off with a meaningful glance at the roof.
 
"Would you get Alik ready for the trip to town?" At Majic's nod, she continued, "I'll get cleaned up and then, we'll drag down the president of the Roof Sorcerers Club." Cleo said with a grin, that didn't hide the worry in her eyes, "Oh, and…thanks, Majic," Cleo said giving Majic a peck on the cheek as she dashed inside, missing Majic's blush.
 
"I wonder if Master knows how lucky he …no…we, all are." He stood and went to separate Alik from the two Wolven who had been rolling around in the dirt. "Alik!" he called, "If we're going into town, you'd better hurry and get cleaned up. You wouldn't want to miss out on ice cream, would you?"
 
"Ice cream!" Alik shouted and ran past Majic for the house.
 
Majic followed, thinking about all the work he still needed to do on the copies and wondered if he should stay home. He shook his head slightly. Cleo would never allow it, so he might as well go and have fun. He figured he'd stay up late to make up for the time missed…not that he'd been sleeping well anyway.
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
After working for a few minutes in the library, Majic met Cleo, Alik and Leki at the top of the stairs, expecting to be going up to the roof. He stepped towards the stairs to the roof, but Cleo shook her head. She started down the main stairs, with Alik and Leki trailing behind her. Majic looked surprised but followed; she seemed to have something in mind.
 
When they got outside, Cleo looked up at the roof and searched until she saw where Orphen was standing. She shouted up, "Orphen! We're going for ice cream! If you want a float, get down here." She paused before continuing, "or you can stay there and brood!"
 
She watched for a few moments, disappointed when she didn't see any movement. She turned to leave and collided with something solid, nearly falling to the ground. She looked up to see Orphen looking down at her, with a half grin, as he grasped her arm to steady her. In reaction to his nearness, she blushed and looked down.
 
Alik started giggling, "You're such a klutz."
 
"Oh, don't you even start…" Cleo said looking up and glaring at Orphen for a moment before she realized he wasn't the one who had spoken.
 
Before she could continue, Leki added his two bits as he jumped up onto her shoulder, [Pup right.]
 
"Arrgh… and to think I asked for this. Not a word." She grasped onto Orphen's right elbow and continued with a smile, "Well…if we're going…"
 
Alik grabbed Majic's hand and charged down the path. Cleo and Majic exchanged a quick glance as he encouraged Alik to go ahead to give Cleo time to talk to Orphen. Majic realized that was probably the best option, since it kept any watchers guessing and Alik from worrying.
 
Once Alik and Majic were out of earshot, Cleo asked, "Are you okay?"
 
Orphen thought, 'I figured that was what the look was for. Neither of you are subtle.' Orphen simply grunted, not wanting to talk.
 
Cleo didn't respond for a few moments as they walked in silence. She waited a bit for him to actually answer before trying again. "I take it your chat with Azalie went as normal?"
 
He glared at her, indicating in no uncertain terms that she wasn't to bring up that subject again.
 
She looked at him, concerned, and grimaced. She started to say something, then stopped and settled for, "Well… when you're ready to talk, I'll listen."
 
He reached over with his right hand to cover hers resting on his elbow and gave it a reassuring squeeze. She smiled brightly in return and yelled for Alik and Majic to slow down.
 
Majic heard Cleo yell and turned back as Alik asked, "Why is Orphen so grumpy today? He's not like Devon is he?"
 
"Orphen had a fight with his sister. I'm sure when you and Devon fought, it put you and Devon in a bad mood."
 
"Oh…so he has a reason to be grumpy. When Devon got grumpy, he blamed it on lack of sex."
 
Majic started laughing; he couldn't help himself. He choked out, "I wouldn't mention that to Cleo… um…girls don't find that… funny."
 
Alik just nodded as Cleo and Orphen stepped up.
 
"Okay, Majic, share the joke. What's so funny?"
 
"Nothing," both called back sharing conspiratorial grins.
 
"Um hmm," Cleo said suspiciously, but let it go when a glance up at their remaining companion showed him grinning as well. She sighed in relief, and added, "So, I'm going to have a huge sundae with lots of chocolate. I'll bet Orphen will have a float."
 
"That's not a bet, Cleo that's, even money," Majic retorted.
 
"True," Cleo replied, turning back to Alik. "Now, Majic here constantly changes his order, so what he's going to have is a mystery. So, have you decided what you want, a sundae or a float?"
 
"Um…both?" Alik said hopefully.
 
In unison, all three said, "No."
 
Alik decided not to give up too easily. "But, shouldn't I try both?"
 
"I'll get one and you get the other, that way we can share and you can try both." Majic offered a compromise, while Cleo rubbed her temple slightly since she was developing as slight headache.
 
"But I was…" Alik said looking at the gathered faces and realized that no other options offered. "Okay…that'll be fine." And they continued on to town.
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
In his scrying orb, Garik watched as the Huntress, her pets and the child stepped outside the protective shelter of the Wolven shields. This was their second time out of the house that day. The first had been early in the morning when they bid farewell to the other Hunter. He mused, 'They even arranged a Wolven and Sorcerer escort for him. As if that pitiful excuse for a Hunter and his blood was of any direct use to me.'
 
He watched the four of them walk into the town, escorted by the remaining Wolven, to the tavern the apprentice's father ran. After seating the Huntress and the boy at a table, her pet sorcerers went to order something when the tavern wench approached the table. The tension between the Huntress and the wench was obvious and, although Garik could not hear what was said, he felt confident in his decision to utilize the wench.
 
More importantly, he noticed another opening he could take advantage of, one he'd been waiting for. He might not be able to get the Huntress, but they'd made a mistake he could exploit to remind her of his growing strength.
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
"Majic, what do you want done?" Bagup asked as he and his son were watching the building confrontation between Cleo and Nerilissa. Orphen was watching closely, but not interfering, preferring to let the others handle the situation.
 
"What do you mean, Father?" Majic asked distractedly, watching the scene worriedly, and wondering why he was so alarmed by Cleo's actions.
 
"I gave Neri's father my word she would always have a job here. As long as I owned the place," Bagup said, hinting to Majic what should be done.
 
"Oh..." Majic said, understanding, and he started to approach the shouting match. He watched closely as Cleo seemed to be getting more and more agitated, but for some reason he knew it wasn't just Neri. Suddenly he recognized what Cleo was doing and why it made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. 'Crap! Just what we need.' He decided they needed to end this now.
 
"Neri. You're fired. Leave now."
 
"You can't...my father... your father... "
 
"I'm not held to that promise and my father just signed the tavern over to me. I own it, he runs it. You're fired, pack up and get out."
 
"We'll see about that." She said in a huff stomping over to Bagup to confront him.
 
Once Majic took over on the confrontation with Nerilissa, Cleo stopped paying attention to the fight. With a shudder, she started looking around frantically. Orphen noticed her upset and realized it didn't have anything to do with the wench. Noticing that someone else had returned, Orphen gestured towards Alik before quickly making his way to Cleo's side from where he'd been ready to aid Bagup in dealing with Nerilissa if necessary.
 
As Orphen moved towards Cleo, Alik ran over and started clinging to her, whimpering, "My head hurts."
 
Leki howled on her shoulder, and when Orphen and Cleo made eye contact, she nodded almost imperceptibly nodded. Orphen reached her side in two steps and whispered. "Where?"
 
"Close...but not in town." She looked around and focused back towards the house. "No!" she cried, twisting away from him and Alik, running through the door to the tavern, leaving Orphen grabbing at air. He cursed; she was getting too quick. He'd barely stepped out of the door when he saw Cleo on the ground.
 
"Leki, why'd you do that?!?" Cleo wailed.
 
The Wolven pup growled back at her. [No leave Mate! Danger you know.]
 
Grimacing as Orphen picked her up, she cried out to both the man holding her and the Wolven at her feet, "My mother and sister!" She frantically struggled to get free from Orphen intent on running home.
 
Holding her almost painfully tight, Orphen snapped back, "Keep calm. We'll check on them, but damn it, you can't just run off like that! Especially if he's near! Where are the Wolven?"
 
"But..." Cleo started, only to be cut off.
 
"We're going to check on them, but first we have to line up some defenses for you and Alik." Just then, two Wolven charged down the street in their wolf-sized natural form. The town-folk scattered and ran away or inside shops at the sight of wolves running through town.
 
"No!" Cleo shrieked, attempting again, unsuccessfully, to break away from Orphen. Weeping openly now, she beat her hands futilely against Orphen's chest. "Let me go!" Orphen just weathered the storm, "Please!!!!" she cried as, with a shudder, she gave in and buried her face into his chest, "No... Please, they have to be all right..."
 
As soon as she stopped trying to flee him, Orphen did his best to try to soothe her. She was shaking with fear and no small amount of anger. He hated seeing her like this; he wanted his spunky fearless brat back. But, come to think of it, in a way, she was. Cleo'd charged off at the first sign of danger, not away, but towards. It was his having to stop her that was the problem, but he had no choice. She was the target this time, not him.
 
Suddenly, Leki jumped away from Cleo and Orphen, charging off to the Everlasting manor. When Cleo made to go after him, Orphen hugged her close again, "He can take care of himself. And that's probably the best solution."
 
"I know. Damn it! Why can't everything be normal again?"
 
Hartia, who had just returned as the situation with Cleo and Nerilissa had reached a boiling point, had acted on Orphen's silent instructions. He was watching through the open door, restraining Alik. He realized that since Cleo was no longer trying to get to the mansion and the other Wolven had arrived, he could allow Alik to go to Orphen and Cleo. "Majic, can you have your dad send the ice cream treats up to the house later?"
 
"Sure. Um… why are you back, anyway?" Majic asked, turning back into the tavern from where he'd followed everyone to the doorway.
 
"Later." Hartia answered brusquely, stepping out into the street.
 
Majic, realizing something was wrong with Hartia, again, quickly followed his instructions.
 
Cleo heard Leki announce, [Was here. Smell. Gone now. Pack females safe.] After he passed that message on, she visibly relaxed. [Ask Mate to hold pendant.]
 
[Why?]
 
[Do now.]
 
"Orphen, um… Leki wants you to…" She stopped when Orphen simply pulled on the ribbon holding the Wolven pendant and brought it up to his hand.
 
[Smell him. In the house. No one hurt. Need search before she and pup return. Send Red.]
 
"Red?" Orphen said in surprise, glancing around and seeing Hartia, 'Oh…red hair, of course.' Orphen took a good look at Hartia who was standing in the door to the tavern, his body language radiating anger and Orphen didn't think was entirely because of the presence of Garik, "Got it, thanks mu… Leki." Orphen said, and then he relayed the message to Hartia. He also gave Hartia a warning look not to lose his head over Mariabella.
 
A moment after the light from Hartia's 'port faded, Orphen's silent warning proved unnecessary as Mariabella, who'd been in town shopping, ran up and clamped onto her sister.
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
After 'porting to the house, Hartia saw Tistiny and Leki standing on the balcony.
 
"I suspected someone would be coming, although didn't you leave with Devon this morning? What happened?"
 
"He's fine. Don't get me started. He's too damn stubborn..." Tistiny nodded, understandingly when Hartia gritted that out, "The reason I'm here is… Is everyone all right?
 
"Yes. What brought this on?"
 
"I don't know exactly. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. Where's Mariabella?"
 
"She left on an errand just after everyone else did and was planning on meeting them at the tavern when she finished. I suspect she hurried there when the commotion started."
 
"How'd you know there was a commotion?"
 
Tistiny just raised an eyebrow, "I know my daughter and Leki is here, alone. That means something's up."
 
"Um…true, but she had reason. Are you sure you're alright?"
 
"Okay…this is serious. I take it this Garik was in the vicinity?" Tistiny said trying to maintain her outward calm. Logically, she knew this was to be expected. Strategically, it made sense for Garik to try to get to Cleo through her family. Rationally, she could see that, but that didn't quell the fear one bit; fear for her daughter, Alik and the others.
 
"Yes…Cleo sensed that Garik was near. So, while Krylancelo was occupied, Leki came to investigate. I was told Garik was in the house, but I don't know to what extent. Leki?"
 
There was a flicker and Leki transformed into his human form, to Tistiny's startled exclamation. "In kitchen and bedroom only. Bedroom smell strongest."
 
"Oh, my! But, I didn't notice anything." Tistiny said, "I was in the kitchen, alone, until Leki arrived. No one came in or out."
 
"Smells… was close, very close to you." Leki said as he walked very close to Tistiny, still sniffing.
 
"There was no one there." Tistiny said, reaching up to the neckline of her dress to clasp her pendant only to find it missing. "Goodness… I-I may have lost something. I need to check for it."
 
"Tistiny, don't go alone. Let me check the room, then we'll all go downstairs."
 
"He won't come back with a Wolven here. Besides, there is something I must find." Tistiny said, letting a little of her anxiety at loosing something important show before she squelched it. "Please continue investigating, I'll be back momentarily."
 
With that Tistiny hurried downstairs and Hartia turned to find Leki in his Wolven form again waiting to enter Cleo's room.
 
Hartia started searching the room and everything seemed in order. Nothing was moved or missing from the dresser. Leki, instead of searching the furniture, immediately focused on the bed. He growled low and tugged at the bedspread.
 
Hartia turned as Leki succeeded in pulling the immaculate bedspread off the oversized-twin bed to reveal Garik's handiwork. The message was unmistakable. Although Cleo's side of the bed was untouched, the other side, the side Hartia knew Orphen slept on was shredded. If Leki hadn't gone ahead of them, after the stresses of the day, they would have sent Cleo up to rest and she would have found this. Hartia shuddered at the damage that would have done. He was beginning to pull the remains of the sheets and blanket off the bed when a note caught his eye. It was on Cleo's pillow and it wasn't Krylancelo's writing.
 
Hesitantly, Hartia picked it up and read,
 
Huntress,
 
I could smell your pet sorcerer's taint on the bed, so I removed it. Just like I will remove him. Consider this a reminder; I will come for you when I am ready. It will be easy. Just as it was easy to take your mother's heart. Next time, I will take the real, beating one and hand it to you.
 
Until I have you in my power again,
Garik
 
Hartia crumpled the letter and ran downstairs to the kitchen. He found Tistiny still searching for whatever she'd misplaced. "Are you all right?"
 
"Yes, I'm fine. Like I said, I just lost something."
 
"What?" Hartia asked wincing, hoping it wasn't what he thought.
 
Tistiny looked up at his tone, and saw he was shaking. Not wanting to upset him further, "It's no big deal. Why are you so concerned?"
 
"I-I … what did you lose?" He asked as he thought, or more accurately, prayed, 'Please tell me I'm wrong, please tell me he didn't get that close to you.' He continued, "Please tell me you didn't lose something heart shaped?"
 
"How did you…? Yes, I misplaced a necklace and pendant I always wear. It's a heart-shaped loop with some diamonds on it. I never take it off; my husband gave it to me."
 
Hartia paled and half collapsed against the counter as the realization of what happened really sunk in. Garik had really taken it. He got close enough to Tistiny without any of them knowing it to take a necklace and pendant off her neck. He shuddered, thinking, 'How can I tell them? How can I? Things were just getting back to semi-normal and calming down. The bed will be bad enough, but this…this will devastate her.'
 
Tistiny walked up next to Hartia and looked at him worriedly. She noticed the crumpled paper in his hand as he was staring bleakly forward. She pulled it out of his hand and read it. "Oh, no! I won't let him do that do her, to them."
 
"And how are you going to do that? She'll notice the missing necklace."
 
"No, she won't. They won't. Because you're going to go to town and get a replacement at the jeweler in town and we're not going to show that note to them. Did he do anything else?"
 
"He destroyed the bed."
 
"Fine, that's all we tell them about."
 
Hartia straightened once again as he continued the discussion, "M…Tistiny, you can't mean that. He'll use it against them sometime. If they don't know, the results could be worse."
 
"Be completely honest with me; if we told them now, what damage would that do?"
 
"A lot, but…" Hartia admitted, but this felt wrong to him.
 
"Then we can't let them know yet."
 
Dubiously, Hartia reminded her, "He will use this against them later."
 
"No. She will over-react." Tistiny reiterated her refusal.
 
"He will be furious with us for keeping this secret and I won't blame him. If we don't tell her, we must tell him."
 
"No. He will telegraph it too much. Even if he intends to keep it secret."
 
"He can keep secrets, even from her."
 
"Not anymore he can't, and you know it."
 
"Yes, he can." Hartia stressed and realized he'd need to give a recent example, "She didn't hear anything about the cave from him. So, no matter how close they're getting or how stressful the secret is, if he needs to; he will be able to keep it from her."
 
"Are you absolutely certain? When he was withdrawing from her to protect them both, he was keeping it a secret. He was keeping it from her, but I think even you'll agree, she knew that something was wrong. Do you want that to happen again?"
 
"No…but," Hartia hedged, realizing he'd lost this argument, because she was right. He still wanted her to understand what he felt. "I think, no… I know this is a mistake. They may never forgive us for this."
 
"Noted, but for now, we will keep this news to ourselves." Tistiny said authoritatively.
 
"I'll agree for now, but I have reservations. We'll need to tell them before we leave."
 
"We need to wait as long as possible. I'd rather wait until we all are at the relative safety of the Tower. When it is more secure and where you all have additional support, especially for Orphen. You can arrange for us to come and tell them."
 
"Okay…" Hartia muttered reluctantly. He realized exactly what she said, "We all are?"
 
"Yes, of course. I expect that eventually, Mariabella and I will need to join you at the Tower. Surely, you figured that out."
 
"I…um…it makes sense."
 
"You can't tell me your Master at the Tower did not teach you to learn about your enemy. To learn how he thinks, so you can anticipate his next moves. My husband, a simple merchant, even covered that with me."
 
"In that case, we should all go together."
 
"No. Think about that. If your enemy was all together in the open, what would you do?"
 
"I see your point, he would attack and not hold anything back. But I don't like it. I don't like the idea of leaving you and Mariabella alone."
 
"Do you really think we'll be alone? I'd be willing to bet that Cleo will leave at least one and possibly two Wolven with Mariabella and I."
 
"That's not a bet, that's a sure thing."
 
"Now, we need to move a new bed into Cleo's room. In fact, I was already thinking about this. I'm going to move one of the larger beds from a guest room in here. With Alik," she said, with a meaningful look at Hartia, indicating she knew where Orphen really slept, "joining her, occasionally, a double or queen sized would be much better. I'll have the servants take care of this while they're still in town. I want that," pointing at the destroyed bed, "out of the house before she sets foot back here."
 
"Where do you want it?" Hartia asked.
 
"There's a shed behind the mansion. I'll summon some servants to…" Tistiny trailed off as Hartia walked up to the bed and chanted a spell. She watched the bed entirely vanish in a flash of purple light. "Or, you could destroy it," she added a little awed by the display.
 
"I didn't. I knew the shed you were talking about and 'ported it there."
 
"Well now, it is handy to have a Sorcerer in the house. Thank you." She said smiling slightly, "Now that that's taken care of, I'll have the servants take care of airing out another bed and moving it into her room. I'm sure the others are impatiently awaiting a report; so why don't you head to town," Tistiny said, re-focusing her attention on cleaning up the current mess. "In fact, you can take care of both the update and getting my replacement jewelry while you're in town. Oh…and make sure you take a Wolven with you."
 
"Both Wolven are currently in town with Cleo and Alik. And Leki stays here, until they get back. I'll just 'port back to them." Hartia paused a moment, remembering that if they were keeping this a secret, there was someone else who needed to agree. He looked at Leki, "Keeping the secret goes for you, too, pup." Leki nodded and bumped against Tistiny's legs. Taking the hint, she picked him up as Hartia chanted, "Away."
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
Hartia rematerialized back on the roof of the tavern to hear Cleo shriek and, to his great relief, saw Mariabella standing next to Orphen, trying to quiet Cleo down. 'I guess she's not scared anymore,' he thought, recognizing the blonde was going at full steam as she shouted at one of the Wolven who, unless Hartia missed his guess, was cowering under the onslaught.
 
"I told you I want Argenthua back. Now! Now relay that message and get her here. She seems to be the only one who understands that there is more to protect here than just the Hunters!"
 
The Wolven, Policarpos by name, growled slightly, but hung his head and tucked his tail between his legs in a submissive gesture as the other Wolven howled. In the distance, there was an answering howl.
 
[I am coming. Polikapi, remain with the Alpha and the pup. Policarpos return to the den so Leki may rejoin the Huntress.] Argenthua's voice resounded in their heads.
 
Without looking up or back, Orphen called out, "Hartia, is everything okay at the house?"
 
"Yes.” Hartia called down, “All he did was some malicious mischief." He jumped off the roof with a soft chant of “Levitate,” and floated to the ground.
 
"Mischief?" Cleo asked, almost fearfully.
 
"Yeah…he tore up your bed, Cleo."
 
"That's all?" Orphen commented, confused, even as he was inwardly relieved. That could have been worse, much worse. 'If anything had happened to Tistiny…' Orphen winced. 'She's been an anchor for all of us. If he had grabbed her… or any of us. Cleo would… I can't think about that, I won't be able to focus if I do. But why didn't he? This doesn't make sense and he doesn't do things recklessly or without a reason. We need to talk about this. There's more going on than we know, and we have to figure it out and quickly.'
 
Cleo grimaced as her anger and worry rose again. She started to say something, stopped, tried again and finally ground out. "I need to see my mother…then… to do something to work off some energy."
 
"All right, back home and then to the lake." Orphen said. "And we will spar, but this time we're going to work on technique, not just trying to pound your opponent into the ground."
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
After a hug session with her mother, Orphen, Cleo, Alik, Leki and Polikapi were approaching the lake when Argenthua stepped in front of them in her human form.
 
"I have returned as requested, Huntress, but today is not a good day to visit the lake."
 
Orphen muttered, "More like demanded it."
 
Cleo glared at Orphen, squeezing his elbow in displeasure, before she greeted Argenthua, "Thank you for coming so quickly. Why did you… oh, wait, I remember. Leki said you got into trouble with your mother. Seems like children always do with their parents." Cleo heard Orphen quietly clear his throat and she took the hint to get back on track, "I'm sorry about getting you in trouble. Anyway, why don't you want us to go to the lake?"
 
Argenthua's eyes widened in surprise; she had not expected an apology from the Huntress when the Wolven failed to fully protect her pack. Still, she had to admit, it was nice to hear. "No need to apologize, Huntress, it is the fault of the Wolven that the Demon Lord made it into the den. I have returned and will stay until I am no longer needed or you ask that I leave. Also, he made a visit to the lake and its surroundings. A few days ago, judging by the scent. Before you get any closer, the area should be thoroughly searched. Although from what I have been advised by Polikapi and Policarpos, he may only have been in the area sating his temper at being thwarted in some fashion. Evil he is, but he was never known for senseless or unplanned actions."
 
"What did he do? How many more Wolven did you bring…and where are they?" Orphen asked, taking over.
 
"Not knowing what exactly was there in the first place, I cannot say. There were changes from the last time I visited the lake. Polikapi, Leki and I are with you. Policarpos is at the den. I have brought two new brothers with me, Terados and Terasoan. Terados waits by the lake. Terasoan is currently watching over the other sorcerer, Hartia, who is in the town with your sister Huntress …um, Mariabella?" Argenthua said hesitantly and Cleo nodded confirming she had the names correct. "Lastly, Argestrios, who has helped previously when your pack has needed to be separated, is traveling with the remaining hunter."
 
"That's good," Orphen said, realizing everyone was well paired with protection. "I'll go with Argenthua to the lake. Cleo, take Alik back to the house." Orphen paused, not really wanting to leave them in just the care of the Wolven. Privately, he had to admit he wasn't used to trusting the Wolven after his initial experience with them. However, he knew he trusted Leki and Polikapi would be nearby. He saw Alik's face fall in disappointment and added, "I'll tell you both everything when I get back. If I determine it's safe, we'll go back later this afternoon."
 
"Let's head back, Alik." Cleo said, turning Alik back towards the house, giving Orphen a pointed glance, indicating her displeasure at his high-handedness.
 
He simply returned her gaze until she turned to follow Alik, who was moving slowly, obviously stalling and dragging his feet. Once Cleo fell in step next to Alik, Orphen quickly turned to hurry to the lake with Argenthua.
 
He never saw Alik stop, turn back and watch him leave.
 
"Come on, Alik, we don't want him to worry if we're not back when he gets home."
 
"I'm waiting right here for him." Alik said stubbornly. "I wanna know what happened. At home, he'll tell everyone else and leave the 'kid' out. I'm tired of being treated like a kid and left out of everything. I'm part of this, too."
 
"We don't mean to leave you out."
 
"Bullshit!"
 
"Alik Enduring, watch your mouth!"
 
"No. You send me out of a room every time there's a big discussion. He puts me to sleep to get me out of the way. Everyone, even Aunt Tistiny, keeps things from me! The only one who told me anything is Devon!"
 
"You've been included in a lot of conversations, Alik. I won't lie though, there are some portions of the discussions, I don't want you to hear. Not to be secretive, but …well, to protect you.
 
"I'm a Hunter! I can protect myself and my family."
 
"No one doubts your resolve to do that. But, let's face it you are a child and, before you say anything, yes, I know you've been through hell. More than anyone else I understand that, but there will be limits to what we will allow you to do."
 
"Stop treating me like a baby!" Alik said, picking up a rock from the path and throwing it at a tree with all his might. "Ouch!" he exclaimed when the rock bounced off the tree and hit him in the shoulder.
 
Cleo crossed her arms over her chest and asked, "Feel better?" She suppressed a grin, remembering that her father had said the exact same thing to her after she'd thrown a temper tantrum in the aftermath of the dance. 'Alik's only a year younger than I was. I only hope I can be as patient as my father was. This is going to be a long afternoon, 'cause I don't think we'll be going anywhere soon.' She looked down expectantly at Alik. When he simply assumed what she'd come to describe as `the Orphen pose', she continued, "Exactly how is that supposed to prove that you shouldn't be treated like a child?"
 
"What do you know? No one tells you what to do!"
 
"Excuse me. Have you really been watching what goes on around the house? We all follow orders at one time or another, from oldest to youngest. Or maybe you've forgotten all the restrictions, which have been placed on me?"
 
Alik shuffled a bit, "Um…maybe, but at least you're included in all the conversations and know what's going on."
 
"Am I? Where was I yesterday when you woke up?"
 
"Oh…yeah…he put you to sleep, too."
 
"No…he didn't. My mother put sleeping powder in our drinks. Put the blame where it belongs."
 
"Aunt Tistiny did? But why?"
 
"As much as I didn't like what happened, because I don't like being left out of things, either, I also understand why she did that. It was so they could examine the… cave, without us. They were trying to protect us."
 
"It's not fair!" Alik said, kicking a large rock and stubbing his toe. He lifted his foot up and held it, hopping on the other foot, chanting, "Arrrgh!" Mid-rant, he lost his balance and fell on his bottom. He sat there, grabbed some dirt and threw in up the air. The dirt fell back around him and dust got in his eye, causing more crying and cursing as he pounded the ground with his fists.
 
Cleo stifled the temptation to laugh before she finally asked "Was it worth it?"
 
"Huh?"
 
"Was throwing the rock, hurting the tree and yourself, kicking another rock and stubbing your toe, falling on the ground and getting dirt in your eye because you threw some in the air, worth it? Was all the violent, childish and destructive behavior worth it? Did that you prove you were an adult?"
 
"You don't even care that I'm hurt."
 
"Yes, I care." Cleo said, crouchin to meet his watery eyes, "But, how were you hurt?"
 
"Duh…I got hit by the rock, fell and got dirt in my eye."
 
"And how did that happen?"
 
"It's not my fault." Alik whined, "I'm hurt and you don't care. Devon said you were on a power trip where I'm concerned and that I shouldn't put up with it." Alik pronounced, figuratively and literally digging his heels in. "And I'm not going anywhere and you can't make me. I going to wait right here until he gets back and tells me what he found."
 
While Alik was making his assertion, Cleo evaluated the situation. He wanted to stay; therefore, she had to get them moving to the house. Although, she had to admit to herself that she was fairly burning with curiosity herself, and a little worry about what Orphen might find. Using her link, she asked Leki something and, after he and his companion agreed, she turned to Alik. "I can't make you, eh?"
 
"No, you can't."
 
"You know, I should let you carry through with that threat and let you see Orphen when he really gets angry. However, I was given instructions, too, and, since I'd like to have my ice cream or maybe come back here later, we're going home now. Polikapi, if you would, please."
 
At Cleo's request, Polikapi stepped up behind Alik and picked him up by the belt of his pants.
 
"What the hell?!?" Alik shouted as he suddenly found himself off the ground, swinging from the mouth of the Wolven and moving towards the house. Quickly the situation sunk in, Cleo had said they were going home and, when he said no, she turned it into a yes by having him picked up and carried. He hung his head, realizing he'd lost, big time. Creeping into his thought process was the amount of trouble he was going to be in for being carried all the way back. Changing tactics, he said, "I-I'm sorry, Cleo."
 
Cleo stopped when he spoke up and the Wolven stopped walking, too. She didn't turn around, but it was apparent from the cessation of movement that she was listening.
 
"Um…I shouldn't have thrown the tantrum." Alik said, watching for signs of softening. Signs Devon had described yesterday, before he and Cleo started fighting. Alik saw Cleo's shoulders relax just before she turned around. He figured that was his cue and put on his best sorrowful look. "I'm sorry. I was wrong and shouldn't have gotten so angry…but…um, can you understand why?"
 
Cleo grinned, thinking, 'That was too easy. Either he's trying a different tact or he isn't as stubborn as I thought he was.' Out loud she said, "Yes, Alik, I understand. I was eleven once, too. But that doesn't excuse the fact that on top of not doing as you were told, what you did was hurtful, albeit mostly to yourself, this time, but what if someone else had gotten in the way?"
 
"Yes, ma'am." Alik said contritely, realizing that he would be in a lot of trouble for doing that on top of not following orders. 'Maybe I can lessen the punishment if I hurry back to the house or I can…' Alik thought and added aloud. "I'm ready to walk home now."
 
Cleo still didn't look back, but smirked thinking, 'I was right, a different tact…Devon's usual trick. I should have known.' As she started walking down the hill again, Cleo addressed Alik over her shoulder, "You gave up that choice when you threw the tantrum. You're fine where you are."
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
Searching the grounds around the lake did not take Orphen long to complete. Certainly, not as long as fixing things would. Garik had destroyed every improvement they'd made. The swing, in particular, had been shattered into splinters. From the damage, it was clear it had been done before it rained, or even during the rain… Thinking about it, he suspected he knew exactly when Garik did it. The night he'd failed to re-capture Cleo after she'd gotten upset, upset by Majic for once instead of him.
 
"Anything else?" Orphen asked Argenthua.
 
"One other thing, although I'm not sure what it is. Terados found what appears to be a flat rock that has been partially clawed at. It's over there." Argenthua said, pointing towards the area Orphen knew the telescope pad was located.
 
'Of course,' Orphen thought, 'if he was destroying things, he'd get everything…but why only partially destroy it? The telescope pad actually had more sentimental value for Cleo than the swing.' Orphen examined the pad and paused. It looked more like Garik was trying to destroy the writings than the pad itself. In fact, the portion of the pad where the telescope was usually positioned was still intact. He shook his head and tried to remember that night. He remembered hearing the Wolven howling and one seemed to be at a distance. Maybe one of them disturbed him before he could finish. Or maybe he dulled his claws after destroying the other things and the concrete was too much.
 
"This can all be easily cleaned up later. We'll do it tomorrow, rather than tonight, since I'd like to have the swing re-constructed before they, Cleo and Alik, come back," Orphen told Argenthua. He looked at the sun and figured he'd been there for about twenty minutes. Cleo and Alik should have almost made it back to the house. "I figure the others are back by now, I'll just 'port there. You two can catch up."
 
"If you wish to re-join the Huntress, you'll find them at the bottom of the hill just before the town. There was a small problem with a belt. Polikapi advised me they were slow in starting for the den. The pup…um, boy wished to wait for you."
 
"And she let him…" Orphen growled as he turned and hurriedly started walking back down the path, muttering about stupid, stubborn females. Orphen reached the top of the hill and looked down. Sure enough, Cleo, Alik and the two Wolven were at the base of the hill. "Towers in Heaven that Dance Around Me." And in a flash of purple, Orphen disappeared, only to re-appear on the path, slightly ahead of the travelers.
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
As they approached Orphen's position, he heard Alik shout, "Please, Cleo! I-I promise I'll be good and walk normally."
 
"No. You had a second chance when the belt snapped. Instead of walking towards the house, you turned around to go back to the lake." Cleo said firmly, looking up at Alik who was now being held up by the waistband of his pants. Leki growled lightly from behind her and she nodded slightly.
 
"I know and I got the point. I'll walk with you back to the house." Alik cried, desperation creeping into his voice.
 
Alik looked anxiously around, saw Orphen ahead of them on the path and wilted. Orphen thought he faintly heard Alik whisper, "Too late."
 
"That's correct." Cleo replied, indicating although she hadn't reacted to his presence, Cleo was aware that Orphen had arrived. He also quickly realized that his initial conclusion was way off. He arched an eyebrow and looked at Cleo for an explanation as they all continued walking towards the house.
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
Alik slammed the door to his room, angry that Orphen took Cleo's side. 'It's not fair. I'm just as much a part of this as they are! And then to carry me home like a baby dog!' Alik stomped over to the window and grabbed the curtain and started to pull, intent on ripping it down.
 
"Alik." Orphen called as he opened the door and entered the room, "I asked you to wait for me at the top of the stairs, not slam into your room." He continued, closing the door behind him.
 
"So what! You're not my father or my brother and can't tell me what to do." Alik cried, turning to face Orphen angrily.
 
"I may not be, but I am an adult, charged with your welfare, and I am going to discharge that duty to my best ability." Orphen stated, emphatically, moving to lean on the desk.
 
"I don't want your protection!" Alik shouted, advancing across the room to glare up at Orphen.
 
"So what do you propose to do?" Orphen asked, realizing there was more to Alik's outburst than just a fit about not going to get ice cream or go to the lake. This was a plea to be more included and in control of his own fate. He didn't want to be helpless again. That was a feeling Orphen could completely understand; the trick would be to reassure him, empower him and still insure that he obeyed when necessary.
 
"I want you to tell me everything. I am a part of this and I want to be included. Don't you think I want to protect Cleo, `n you, too?!?" Alik wailed.
 
"Really?" Orphen asked, thinking, `I was right.'
 
"Of course! I-I mean I got her into this…"
 
"Okay, stop right there." Orphen interrupted, pushing off the desk to step close to Alik. "You didn't get Cleo into this; she was already targeted. He just had a harder time catching her. And…" Orphen paused and grimaced slightly, "in a way, I'm glad."
 
"You're glad he got her …how could you?!?" Alik cried, absolutely aghast. “He…he hurt…”
 
"Because of you.” Orphen interrupted again, “We… she brought you out of there." Orphen clarified, "Of course, if I could have prevented either of you from being there, I would have. But, that wasn't an option. The next best thing was to save everyone we could have."
 
"But why? You didn't know me?”
 
"Oh…and that matters? Just because I don't know someone, should I let them die?"
 
"Well… no, but…"
 
"There's no buts to that. If I can save someone, I will. In fact, Cleo does that, more than it's really safe for her. She's usually the one dragging me into it. "
 
"I know,” Alik said sarcastically, “I've read the stories."
 
"Watch your tone, young man. You're demanding respect, but are you giving it?” Orphen asked seriously, giving Alik a piercing glare. Alik cowered slightly and gulped, realizing he'd messed up again. Orphen, seeing the signs of the wheel churning, arched an eyebrow and returned to the subject, “So… just how much of the diaries have you read?"
 
"Um…would you believe one volume?" Orphen crossed his arms and renewed his glare, knowing full well that the incident with the giga-sequoia was in at least the second or third volume of their travels. Alik continued, "Well…I got all through your first journey and one volume into your second journey."
 
"I keep meaning to quiz you on that. Now… man to man, and you've got to promise not to tell her. I'll let you in on something." He paused while Alik nodded eagerly, "I don't mind, I rather like playing the hero for her. But, I don't want her to know."
 
"What, worried it'll ruin your reputation?"
 
"Well… reluctant heroes live a lot longer than the ones that charge in first."
 
"Yeah…I heard Dad say that a lot to Devon. He always charged in first."
 
Orphen smirked, thinking, 'Why did I already know that? And I've know him less than a day.' He paused, realizing he'd gotten off-track. "Now, back to the original reason for this discussion."
 
Alik wilted, realizing Orphen hadn't been distracted. "Yes sir. I know I shouldn't have reacted the way I did. And I should have followed instructions."
 
"Yes, you should have and right now, it's not serious, but in a very short time we will be traveling away from the relative safety and security of Totokonta. Following instructions immediately and fully will be a matter of life and death. Do you understand?"
 
"Yes, but I want to help! It's not fair that you're keeping me out."
 
"Life isn't fair. The sooner you accept that, the faster you can go on. Don't waste your time railing about the injustices in the world. Do something." Orphen held up a hand to stop Alik when started to protest. "And throwing a temper tantrum isn't what I meant. You want to help?"
 
"Yes. I already said that."
 
"Then help by following orders so we can keep you safe."
 
"No!!!” Alik shouted, stomping his foot, “I want to protect her and you and everyone else just as much as you do. And I can. You're teaching me how to use a dagger and I'm learning more. I'm a Hunter, I can fight."
 
"Yes, you can. No one's doubting that you are learning and will grow into a good man. But, right now, you are a child. Unless you want to end up back in Garik's clutches?" As expected, Alik flinched and Orphen went in for the kill, "Of course, if he captured you because you weren't following instructions, what do you think would happen then?"
 
"Um… He'd probably kill me."
 
"And what else?"
 
"What do you mean what else?"
 
"I'm treating you like an adult now. And as an adult there are consequences for your actions. Think about this, do you really think Cleo would just allow you to be taken by Garik? What do you think she'd do if you were taken?" Alik's eyes got huge, "Yes, you guessed right, she'd turn herself over to Garik to gain your release, even though we both know that he'd never let either of you go."
 
"I-I… didn't think about that. She-she would. She can't. He needs her. That can't happen." Alik said, shaking.
 
Orphen maneuvered Alik so they could sit on the bed. Once there, Orphen put his arm around the boy's shoulder, to comfort him, knowing that he'd never allow that to happen to either of them, but it very effectively made his point. "That's why it's so important you follow instructions. Why you must stay close to Cleo. As I said, there are consequences for your actions. Still want to be an adult…or would you rather follow instructions and let us protect you for a little while longer?
 
“I want be an adult… but, I-I …I promise, I'll follow instructions. I won't let that happen and... you're right, the best thing I can do right now to protect her… is to follow orders. I-I'm sorry about earlier." Alik said honestly.
 
"Thank you. Admitting your mistakes is the first of many steps towards growing up. However, that still doesn't exempt you from punishment. And this time, I'm setting the terms."
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
Cleo watched Orphen walk very deliberately up the stairs after Alik slammed the door to his room, with a force that rattled the windows and caused Leki to whimper.
 
"Orphen, do you want me to…?" she started, but stopped when he tensely shook his head, without even looking back.
 
Cleo took a couple of steps towards the stairs to follow him when Tistiny spoke up. "Part of being a good parent is knowing when to let the other one handle the child by themselves."
 
"But, he refused to return home and threw the tantrum for me," Cleo said, turning back to her mother as Leki jumped up into Cleo's arms.
 
"That's true, but if I understood correctly, weren't you both given instructions to go home?"
 
"Yes." Cleo replied, absently scratching Leki's ears.
 
"And where did he run into you?"
 
"On the path home, I had one of the Wolven carrying Alik."
 
"However, it was essentially, Orphen's instructions that Alik was disobeying, correct? Even though he threw the tantrum for you, it wasn't your instructions that were ignored."
 
"Well...yes."
 
"So, what good would it do for you to punish Alik twice?"
 
"I-I… but, I feel like I lost control of him…out in the open." Cleo said, voice rising to a near wail and Leki jumped away from her to the floor with a whine since she squeezed him a little too hard. She looked down apologetically at Leki while her mother answered.
 
"From what I've heard, you didn't lose control.”
 
“But what if I had? What would have happened? What if it happens again, on the road?”
 
“The same thing that happened today.” Tistiny replied with a meaningful glance up the stairs, “You have backup. Raising a child is all about teamwork. You utilized the resources you had available, then, and will in the future. I think, if your father had the same resources available to him while dealing with some of your tantrums, he'd have done the same thing. But, if you remember, a few of the times that happened, I'd given the instruction to be home by a certain time. So, in those cases, who handled your punishment?"
 
"You did. And I learned the lesson better for it.” Cleo said and paused. She realized that in a way, her mom was still teaching her. Wanting it confirmed, she added, grinning, "And you're still teaching, aren't you?"
 
Tistiny smiled back, "That never stops, dear. You don't remember much of how your grandmother and I interacted, but I'm hoping I'm doing somewhere near as well as she did."
 
"You are, Mom." Cleo glanced back up towards Alik's door and turned to head towards the basement. Leki hurried to trot ahead of her. She paused and turned back. "I'm going downstairs, to Dad's room. I still have some energy I want to work off."
 
"He's going to want to talk to you after he finishes with Alik." Tistiny cautioned her, knowing that Cleo had been keeping her activities down there a secret.
 
"I know." Cleo said thoughtfully, pausing, before she continued, "Tell him where I am."
 
"Are you sure? You've been keeping this a secret for almost two weeks."
 
"Yes… it's time. Besides, now that Majic knows, it won't be long before he does. I'd rather he got it in a more direct manner."
 
After Cleo got out of earshot, Tistiny whispered to herself, "My little girl is growing up."
 
If only their road were simple enough that dispensing sound advice would solve the problems.
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
After extricating himself from the scene Nerilissa created at the tavern, and delivering the ice cream treats to the kitchen, Majic was in the library working on the second copy of the rubbings. Eventually he heard Orphen, Cleo and Alik return, a lot sooner than he expected. He started to get up to investigate, but it dawned on him, Orphen was already in a grumpy mood because of Azalie's visit, even before Garik's actions. It was probably Cleo he heard stomping up because she wasn't able to cheer him up. That or she was stomping because Orphen had re-directed them back to the house quickly, so their exercise was only in walking there and back. He chuckled. It would have been too much to hope that Cleo would mention that she should go back home and rest because she'd already exercised today. Either way, he decided he'd better not interfere. He immediately returned to his work and lost himself in the runes.
 
The next thing Majic knew, Alik burst into the room, frantic.
 
"Majic, you gotta come quick! Cleo's gonna be in trouble! "
 
Majic looked up from the runes he'd been concentrating on to see Alik huffing and puffing as he practically ran across the room to him. Using a calm tone, Majic asked for a clarification, "Slow down, Alik. What's wrong? "
 
"I heard Aunt Tistiny tell Orphen that Cleo was in the basement. That's supposed to be a secret! And if he catches her unaware…" Alik trailed off, tugging at Majic's arm to get him up and moving.
 
"Alik, I don't think it'll be as bad as all that.” Majic said, trying to calm the boy down.
 
"Yes, it will. He's already mad `cause I messed up on the way home from the lake. " Alik said franticly, "I don't want her to run… she may have done it in the stories from before, but if he gets angry and scares her, she might…I can't let that…"
 
"Hold on. " Majic interrupted, wondering what had brought this on, why Alik was so afraid of her running. Majic knew that he'd had nightmares last night, but nothing like Cleo running away and getting caught by Garik again. He wondered if Alik had been sent to take a nap and had a nightmare, triggered by Garik being close. Patiently, he tried to sooth Alik, explaining how he thought a confrontation about that topic would go. "He'd be upset and they'd shout. Remember, they fight regularly, but she won't run off. She knows better now. However, since you're so concerned, let's go down there and make sure everything's all right."
 
“Um…I should…” Alik said, hedging, knowing he was supposed to stay in his room, but needing to make sure nothing went wrong. Finally, rather than actually saying anything, he just nodded.
 
Majic stood and walked to the door, “Coming?” Alik nodded again and hurried to join Majic.
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
Orphen got to the door of the basement, a part of the Everlasting mansion he'd never been in before. The door looked like just a closet or pantry, since it was just off the back entrance to the kitchen and therefore he had just ignored it. He was fuming, Tistiny just said flat out; Cleo was downstairs in her father's exercise room. Exercise! She'd barely recovered from nearly… and she's exercising. Worse, she was keeping it a secret. From him! He opened the door, and walked down the stairs. As he hit the first step, he heard not only his step, but also a rather loud and noticeable creak on that stair. Although he didn't hear any change in the sounds he'd heard coming up the stairs, he couldn't help but think that that creaky step was purposely left loud, since none of the others creaked at all.
 
When he got to the bottom of the stairs, he saw Cleo performing a series of kicks on a punching bag. He'd heard the sounds of her hitting something as he was on the way down and they'd never changed. She was obviously venting her anger, because he could hear an occasional curse word hissed through her teeth.
 
“Just what do you think you're doing?” Orphen ground out, angry that, on top of everything else today, she was exerting herself in a secret room in the house.
 
“What does it look like?” Cleo asked back, stopping mid-kick.
 
“I know what it looks like and I want to hear you admit it.”
 
“I was and have been exercising. Alik, too.” Cleo bluntly answered. Leki looked up at Orphen from the chair he'd been lounging in at the back of the room and woofed quietly in a that's that tone.
 
Orphen was slightly taken aback. She just answered him, no hedging, no evasions, just a straight answer. That wasn't something his Cleo usually did. `Wait a minute, have been? That means she's been doing this more than just today.'
 
Before Orphen could finish his musings, Cleo continued, “Before you ask, yes, I've been exercising daily, an hour at a time. Yes, I've had permission from the Doctor. Yes, I've been following the guidelines and limits he set. And,” Cleo paused, as she saw the anger building on Orphen's face and braced herself. She knew this could either explode into a huge fight or, if she and Majic had been reading him right, he'd listen and talk first, “I know I shouldn't have kept it a secret, but, honestly, would you have let me?”
 
Orphen ran his hand through his hair; his anger had been building with each yes indicating this had been a fairly long standing secret. But, he'd been thrown for a bit of a loop when she flat out admitted she'd been keeping it a secret and dumped it onto his shoulders. He knew the answer: he wouldn't have let her exercise. He was thinking that now she needed to start, but realistically, it wasn't what the doctor had instructed. The doctor had said from the beginning he wanted them, her and Alik, moving around. Orphen'd been coddling them out of fear, which was a mistake, and he knew it. He was letting fear control his actions, but, fortunately, she'd been doing what was necessary, with or without his approval. He looked back at her and realized she was waiting for an answer. He decided she was being open and honest, so he would, too. “No. I admit, I would have stopped it.”
 
Inwardly, Cleo grinned, reviewing the discussion she and Majic had earlier that day. This was an example of his changes. But she had to admit, he was right that she'd changed too. Previously, she'd have hedged, and Orphen would have forced the answers out of her, and they would have ended up fighting. She liked this, but she… she missed the fighting. Fighting was normal, fighting was comfortable, and she wanted everything to be the same as before between them. Well, not exactly the same, because she didn't want to give up the closeness or the relationship… `Relationship,' she thought. `I can say that now, can't I? I'm in a relationship. With Orphen.' She looked back up at him and replied with a grin and a challenge, “You might have tried. So I would have still gone behind your back and probably over done it. You'd have found out and we would have had one hell of a fight.” She stepped up close to him, placed a hand on his chest and, in a voice full of mischief, added, “Of course, since we skipped over most of that, we can go straight to the fight.”
 
Orphen couldn't stop himself, he laughed out loud. “Brat.” Seeing his laughter, she joined him. He sobered quickly and captured her hand against his chest. They were still going to have a discussion, about keeping secrets. “The fight, as you put it, starts now.”
 
Cleo looked up at Orphen, blushing in spite of herself at his proximity. Her giggle and smile faded as she took note of the anger in his eyes. She gulped, realizing even though he'd laughed, he was truly upset.
 
Orphen watched her tense and, even as he inwardly grinned, he kept his glare intense, so she'd know this was serious. It was strange, but in a way this conversation felt the same as the one he'd had just a little while ago with Alik. “So, why am I upset?”
 
“Um…because I was exercising?” Cleo queried, knowing full well that wasn't why he was upset.
 
“No.” He replied, noticing a small creak coming from the stairs. Inwardly, he grinned, `So, we're being observed,' He mused as he listened carefully, `one …no, two.'
 
“Oh… uh… because I didn't tell you.”
 
“I guess I should be pleased that it only took you two guesses.”
 
“So, what do you want me to say, Orphen?” Cleo retorted, her anger rising again. “If you want me to apologize for exercising, I won't. For keeping it a secret, yes. I do owe you an apology for that but, as I explained before, I only did that because you would have attempted to stop me.” Cleo looked right into his eyes, a silent message in her eyes, pleading for understanding, “I have to do this, Orphen.”
 
She watched Orphen for any reaction and when one wasn't forthcoming soon enough for her, she decided to drive her point home. “What is going to happen when, not if, but when, we are attacked on the road? And don't even try to deny that we will be attacked. We will be and we both know it. Today demonstrated that! So, what happens if I don't have the stamina to run away with Alik? What if Ga…G… he catches us…”
 
“He won't!” Orphen interrupted angrily, grabbing her arms and shaking her slightly, “I won't let that happen!”
 
“You can't be everywhere at once. As powerful as you are, you can't fight a demon on your own. Remember… remember outside the cave. He…he just shrugged your spell off. The Wolven are right, only with a partnership can the demons be defeated. A Sorcerer and a Hunter partnership. I don't want to hold you back, so I have to be able to fight with you.”
 
“You're not going to. Devon and I are.”
 
“What?!?” Cleo said shocked. “Fine. Then I'll just partner with Hartia.” Cleo announced, turning away from Orphen and stomping across the room onto the practice mat, stopping by the weapon's rack. “I'm going to do this. With or without your…” Cleo paused and said sarcastically, “permission.”
 
“That's not the point. I just want to keep you safe! And being part of the front line of attack isn't the place!”
 
“I have to do this!” Cleo cried, clenching her fists to hide the tremor running through her, adding in a whisper, “I have to face my demons. I don't want to be afraid anymore. If I fight, he didn't succeed…he didn't…. he didn't break…” Cleo broke off, unable to continue as she sunk to her knees on the mat. She took a deep breath and started again, “He didn't break me and I won't feel so damned helpless again.” She looked up, tears streaming down her face to see that Orphen had moved close to her, looking down where she was kneeling. “Surely you can understand that.”
 
“I understand your reasons. That doesn't mean I have to like it, or accept it. We'll discuss that more when we get to the Tower. As I said before, I wasn't upset about you exercising. It's the secrets. Garik's,” Orphen saw her involuntarily wince at the name and cursed himself but it needed to be said, “methods include manipulation, or did you forget about his pawn? If we have secrets that come out at the wrong time, we're dead. All of us, you, me, Alik, everyone. No. More. Secrets. Understand?”
 
“I know that!” Cleo shouted surging to her feet, “Why in the hell did you think I asked Mother to tell you I was down here! I knew you needed to know! I hated keeping it from you, but… it was the only option. It allowed me to exercise safely. Alik, too.” Cleo added motioning over to the dartboard. “This is where I taught him darts.” She sighed, picking up a wooden sword that was near her feet. “I actually expected this to come out right after the throwing incident, but you never asked me where I taught him.” She put the wooden sword back on the rack and asked a question that had been plaguing her for some time, “Why?”
 
Orphen's eyes widened in surprise at the question and abrupt change in subject. “Are you saying you would have told me… or would you have hedged?”
 
“I-I'd…oh, heck, I'd have hedged.” She replied, but thought about it a moment and realized that wasn't entirely true, so she added, “probably.” She paused a moment and realized he hadn't answered her question, he changed the subject. She looked closely at him waiting.
 
Orphen knew she was examining him, but he didn't have an answer for her. He honestly hadn't thought about where she taught Alik, past that they were someplace safe. He didn't normally forget or miss things like that and it frustrated him to no end. He should have asked, but he didn't want to admit that he missed that important detail. He ground his teeth and decided against answering. `It doesn't really matter now anyway.'
 
When he didn't answer soon enough, she asked, “I answered honestly, will you answer me?”
 
`Damn it. You just had to throw that out, didn't you, Cleo? Challenging me to be honest.' Orphen mused, just before he arched an eyebrow to level a `be specific' look at her.
 
Reading his expression, she rolled her eyes in exasperation, and repeated her question. “Why didn't you ask where I taught Alik darts earlier?” Before Orphen reacted or replied, she remembered other questions she had, quickly added, “For that matter, where did you teach Alik to use a dagger? Oh, and how did your talk with Alik go?”
 
Orphen watched, a little awed at her switch from insecure to being his favorite ditz with her rapid-fire questions. Since he was well used to the questions in that form, he decided to answer her in kind, to see if she could keep up, “I don't know. Out in the garden. Fine, but I need to come up with a punishment.” He smirked as her eyes widened slightly at the answers he just threw at her, before for asking the question that would throw the weight back on her shoulders. “Ideas?” He also heard a small gasp coming from the doorway and some whispering start.
 
“Um…oh… the library always worked for me.” Cleo replied thoughtfully, continuing almost as if she were thinking aloud. “He likes the training, but I won't let you restrict that, it's too important. I suppose we could restrict him from going to the festival. Although…”
 
“That's a little extreme for a temper tantrum.”
 
“I know that! And that was what I was about to say.” Cleo said, walking over to a small table in the center of the practice mat. She looked at the plate and glass sitting there and realized she hadn't cleaned up from the morning's activities. As she reached for the plate, which still had the remains of Alik's mid-morning snack that her mother had sent down, she noticed that there were a few crackers and some cheese and sausages left on it, but all the cookies were gone. She picked up the plate, pulling a pair of darts out of the sausages as an idea hit her. “Here's a thought. He's been helping Mariabella with the baking and he loves it, because he snitches. If he were restricted from eating any of the sweets she made?”
 
“And he still has to help her, even when he can't have any. I think you've come up with a suitable punishment.” Orphen heard the stair creak again, indicating their observer, or observers had left. Grinning he continued, “That worked rather nicely.”
 
Cleo gave him a blank look.
 
“We had at least one spy for the last bit of the conversation, probably two considering the timing.”
 
“Oh…I didn't hear the stair…ooops.” Cleo said, realizing the additional trick she'd given up.
 
“I thought that only the top step creaking was just a little too convenient.”
 
“Yeah…” Cleo said, absently playing with the darts, “Um… Dad actually did something to the boards specifically so the step would creak. He liked to have warning if Mom was coming down.” She looked down a little sheepishly, “He wasn't supposed to teach me quite as much in the way of fighting as he did. It's strange, but I was completely inept in comparison to him. Until recently.”
 
“Well…we'll have to see just how much better you've gotten.” Orphen said, with a challenging glint in his eye. He thought, `I think I've found a way to make you take the wagon after all.' He reached out and pulled the darts out of her hand. “So, care to make a wager?”
 
“Depends on the terms.”
 
“If you're so good at darts that you can teach someone, we'll use these,” he said holding up the two darts he'd taken from her. “For the terms, we'll go back to a previous discussion you still haven't accepted my decision on. I want us to use a wagon when we leave.”
 
“I've told you how I feel about that. So what are you getting at?”
 
“One dart, you go first. Highest score wins. If I win, you finally accept my decision and we go in the wagon. If you win, we'll walk, like you wanted.”
 
Cleo froze. That was a big deal. She didn't want to use the wagon; she had a bad feeling about it and even Majic was against it. And for her to put that decision up to what amounted to a game of chance? Could she do it? Should she? `Orphen's so good at everything, how could I presume to beat him…at anything. I'm not good enough, I can't keep up with…' She stopped her train of thought. She was a Hunter and an Everlasting. She could do this. Just as she was Orphen's partner in their travels, she was going to be his partner in the Sorcerer and Hunter teaming. And the only way she was going to prove to him that she could do it was to prove she wasn't the ditz. That she could fight; that she could be calm and levelheaded enough to be trusted in battle. This was her first step and she could not fail. She turned and grabbed one of the darts from him and said, “Deal.”
 
He nodded. She turned to the dartboard, aimed and let it fly. The dart landed in the bull's-eye. She grinned and gave Orphen a look that said, `Top that.'
 
Orphen grimaced, a bull's-eye, that was going to be hard to beat. He took careful aim and threw his dart. It landed in the outer ring of the bull's eye.
a
Cleo bit her lip slightly, trying to suppress the urge to jump and cheer, and she managed to restrain herself. She knew they used the bet to solve a tense issue between them and, no matter how much she wanted to, she couldn't gloat. Privately, she admitted it sure felt good to best him in something, for once.
 
“Best two out of three.”
 
“What?” Cleo shouted, “You said one dart and we each threw one. Are you reneging on the bet that you made? Are you a…”
 
“Don't say it. Fine, another bet then. Same conditions, different stakes. I go first.” He walked over pulled both darts out and walked back. He handed one to her and aimed at the dartboard with the other.
 
“Hold it!” Cleo cried, “I haven't agreed to any stakes.”
 
“You should be able to guess. It's another disagreement we have outstanding, the festival.”
 
“Oh, good grief…is this how we're going to settle arguments from now on?”
 
“No. But it does make things interesting.”
 
“Oh, fine. If you win, we go back to the house to rest after lunch and if I win, if we rest at all, we rest at the festival.”
 
He threw it again and the dart landed just outside the bull's eye. She smirked, remembering that when she practiced with Alik, she was consistently hitting the center. She stood next to him taking careful aim. She was moving her arm forward when they heard a voice call from the top of the stairs.
 
“Hartia, I wouldn't if I were you.” Majic warned.
 
Cleo managed to stop her release, so she didn't miss. She heard the tell-tale creak on the top step… indicating someone was coming down the stairs, then she heard it sound again and Hartia saying, “They're fighting again? We better leave them be, since making up just took on a whole…” his words faded out with the click of the door.
 
“I'm gonna kill him!” Cleo cried.
 
“Not yet, you won't. Unless you want to forfeit.”
 
“Oh… no way.” She turned back to the dartboard, took aim and started to throw the dart…
 
“But he's right, you know,” Orphen whispered as she let go of the dart, causing it to become a wild pitch that missed the board entirely. He leaned close and kissed her cheek. “I win.”
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
Upstairs, Majic heard Hartia reply to his warning as he closed the door to the basement, “They're fighting again. We'd better leave them be, since making up just took on a whole different dimension.”
 
“That's true, Master Hartia.”
 
“So, what'd I miss while I was in town?” Hartia asked.
 
Before Majic could reply, “YOOOOOOU!” was heard shrieked from the basement and running footsteps where heard coming up the stairs.
 
“That was an evil trick! I can't believe you did that! You cheater!” Cleo was shouting as she came out of the basement door, slamming it. She then stormed upstairs, giving Hartia a glare as she passed.
 
A moment later, Orphen opened the door and stepped out, smirking. He left the door open so Leki could slip out and hurry after his mistress. Orphen started leisurely following the path Cleo had just stormed through as she headed to Alik's room.
 
“Um…Master, what was that all about?” Majic asked as he and Hartia fell in step with Orphen.
 
“We just decided a couple of things.” Orphen said grinning, as he watched Cleo stop at the top of the stairs. He suspected he knew what was coming. When she turned around smiling, he knew he was right.
 
“That last one didn't count and you know it.” She said, obviously suppressing a grin, “Compromise?”
 
“What?” Orphen asked, knowing what she'd ask.
 
“We rest at the festival at the tavern.” She suggested, as Leki caught up to her and waited expectantly for her to continue to Alik's room.
 
“Agreed.” Orphen said, smiling. `I still won, you've agreed to rest. That's all I wanted. Even though you've been exercising, you're still not up to full strength yet, and I'm not going to let you risk yourself or Alik.'
 
“I'm going to make sure Alik got back to his room after his excursion with Majic and lie down for a while.” Cleo said, turning back towards Alik's room. She thought, `As frustrated as I am, I've got to admit it. That was fun.'
 
“I'll get these two caught up on recent events.” Orphen called back up and started walking to the study, expecting the others to follow. He was also grinning, `That was fun.'
 
****~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~****
 
Late that evening, Garik was sitting on his throne nearly thrumming with satisfaction. Today had gone well. `I may not have been able to re-capture the Huntress, but the mistakes of those around her will be their undoing.' He remembered watching the scene when the red-headed sorcerer returned to the house to talk to one of the ones under Agan's contract, the Huntress's mother. They had found the note and hidden it. The sorcerer had even gone and gotten a replacement so the Huntress wouldn't notice. `I couldn't have asked them to better play into my hands.'
 
“Master Garik.”
 
Garik turned to see his lieutenant's servant entering the room. “What is it?”
 
“The …wen… our new ally has arrived and is quite willing to help.”
 
“Good. Use her to inform the village of their mistake.” Just before Garik turned back to the scrying orb, he said dismissively, “And make it quick. I have another task for her.”
 
“As you wish. A local paper should be sufficient proof,” replied the armor-clad, cloaked figure as he departed.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
I'd like to add another thank you to everyone who took the time out of your busy schedules to follow my story through the inconsistent updated and review. As always, if you include your E-mail or sign-in under your profile, I will respond personally (if slowly, I'm a horrible correspondent.) In closing I'd like to do a general thank you to everyone who reviewed. So thank you: AnimeGoddessS, Autumn maeve, Cristina, EmoDCgirl36, Evergreen friendship, Faery pink sparkle, f-zelda, Jag, Kat, Palmtree, Redskin, SnowDucky86, Starrynight, & Susan