Sorcerer Stabber Orphen Fan Fiction ❯ It's in the Family ❯ Chapter 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The usual, I don't own any of the characters in SSO.

This is set after Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: Revenge. This is based off the Anime only and the English ADV version at that. Warning Spoilers!
 
Author's notes: I know I know, this is horribly delayed, I'd promise to try to do better, but I'm not going to make promises I know I won't necessarily be able to keep. Suffice to say, although I love writing, I have a full time job and family and things happen. Also, I've been attending a few conventions; I've even taken part in a panel on fanfiction in one and may continue in others I attend.
 
First, the contest, I held previously. The movie I was paying homage to was Robin Hood: The Prince of Thieves (1991) starring Alan Rickman and Kevin Costner. I actually had ended up with two winners, Faery Pink Sparkle and Isabel from FF.net.
 
Two other small things to go over in this chapter, I'll be referencing the form of currency used in Orphen's world. Based on the research I've done, the currency is called Sockets and since I'm in the U.S. I'm setting the value equal to a U.S. Dollar. There is also some implied activity of a carnal nature, but nothing major.
 
A last word of caution, this chapter ends with a bit of a cliffhanger, be happy to hear the next chapter is nearly ready to go into beta.
 
Lastly I'm changing this up a bit from previously in an attempt to clarify things:
“Speaking”
`Thinking'
Telepathy
 
Chapter 16*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
A week later, it was the morning of the festival and three days before they planned to leave for the Tower, assuming that Cleo and Alik got a clean bill of health from Doc Hale. That morning, after waking up alone, Cleo's first action was to roll over. She reveled in the smell and feel of Orphen's side of the bed, which was still warm, indicating he'd only left recently. Not wanting to leave the bed, she snuggled in the covers on his side, musing about recent events. Especially ironic to her was that, although she was looking forward to the festival, she was more looking forward to it being over, which was a first for her. A first she largely attributed to dealing with an excited little boy. `I guess that's one of the pitfalls of dealing with a child, a child who is extremely excited about the festival. And last night,' she groaned, `we added the return of sweets after a week off and …Devon.' She winced, remembering the fact that last night had been particularly rough. Devon had returned just before dinner and Orphen had agreed that the dessert restrictions placed on Alik could be lifted. Sugar and excitement had put the boy on a high that he never seemed to come down from.
 
Alik's excitement and all the preparations for the festival hadn't helped the shift in her feelings towards the festival much, especially since, after Orphen had found out about her father's training room, they had spent at least two hours a day in there, training. True to his word, they were working on technique. He was teaching her sword moves and continuing to work with Alik with his dagger. The end result left her sore as she discovered muscles she didn't remember using. Ever sympathetic, all Orphen would do was remind her that she had wanted this.
 
However, she never woke up sore and she knew that she should have. She suspected that meant that for all his grousing about her complaining, he still healed any injuries or sensitive areas. Probably while she slept. If she wasn't so grateful, she'd take him to task for draining himself. But, when she'd started to get wound up to go after Orphen, Majic had explained that small healing wasn't too draining for a sorcerer at full strength.
 
After the long night with Alik, she wasn't looking forward to getting him dressed up for the festival. Well, Majic, either, for that matter. Although, she was looking forward to seeing them all dressed up. The festival had always been a semi-dress up affair. That meant getting Majic and Alik into something other than shorts and T-shirts, which was going to be a challenge. Of course, it was an expected challenge, or more accurately, a game. A game they'd played since they were little. She was told to get Majic dressed up and he avoided it like the plague. But her mother had also reminded her that someone else shouldn't wear his usual leather attire and headband either. Not that Cleo needed that reminder; that fight was a yearly event they'd both come to expect, and a welcome bit of normalcy.
 
With a sigh, she got up after her musings to start her day and confront Orphen. Smiling, she thought, `It's been a while since we've had a good fight anyway.'
 
She looked over at Leki, who was observing her from the floor where he'd jumped down when she rolled over. Now that she was getting up, he was headed to the door. Starting your morning rounds, Leki?
 
Yes. And find Majic. Sister said up and hide. Had explain earlier.
 
Cleo chuckled, That was probably a challenge. So where is he? And did he take Alik with him?
 
Leki looked back at Cleo with an expression that she didn't need telepathy to understand; the boys were hiding together.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Everyone was preparing to leave for the festival when Tistiny called Hartia and Orphen aside. She handed them each a bag, which obviously contained a significant number of sockets. (A/N - It's their money - I'm placing the value roughly equivalent to USD.)
 
"We can't accept this." Orphen said. Normally he'd have been spending the weeks before the festival raising money doing odd-jobs in town for their activities. This time, he'd been unable to do much.
 
"You've already been too gracious, offering the hospitality of your house. We can't accept any more," Hartia added.
 
"Take it.” Tistiny insisted, “Just in case you need it. There is an auction, after all." When Orphen and Hartia both started to protest again, she added, “Besides, who said you didn't earn it. The money is actually from Dr. Hale for all the herb and spice gathering you've both been doing for the town.” She saw their surprise and continued, “Did you really think I wouldn't have heard about all you've been doing for the town? You three single-handedly stocked the town for the winter in all the herbs necessary for medicines for all winter.”
 
“We didn't do that for pay.” Orphen replied, thinking how useful those errands had been in reinforcing Majic's teleporting skills.
 
“Nevertheless, Dr. Hale and I agreed, the money is yours to use as you see fit. I know you've been doing those errands and watching over the family, instead of your usual odd jobs around town. I think it's safe to say your funds are fairly low.”
 
“Er…” Orphen hedged, knowing full well, he didn't have much on hand and Hartia was probably the same. Sockets weren't readily given to anyone at the Tower. “You're right,” he admitted reluctantly. He'd forgotten about the auction until just that morning and remembered he had a basket to buy. Also, he realized he'd better enlighten Hartia because he had to make a decision. Orphen knew Hartia would want to bid on Mariabella's basket, but doing so would let Cleo know that Hartia was interested in her sister.
 
Tistiny beat Orphen to the description, “Hartia, I suspect Mariabella's already talked about this with you, but just in case, each year at the Fall Festival we have a fund-raiser. All the girls …err, women, in town make a picnic basket and put it up for auction. In most cases, the husband or boyfriend is the only bidder, so it starts with a silent bidding process. The auctioneer only puts up baskets with multiple individuals bidding on a basket. That saves time, so usually only 10 or so baskets actually get auctioned.”
 
“Mariabella mentioned it, but not in so much detail.” Hartia answered, sheepishly, remembering this was his part to play. Mariabella had mentioned the process in detail, but since she didn't want anyone, no, specifically, she didn't want Cleo to know that they were seeing each other, they'd agreed on a plan to hide that fact.
 
"So, take the sockets and bid on a basket. There should be enough to bid for anyone's you want." With a grin, she added, "Mariabella's is a white basket with a yellow and blue ribbon and is always first up." Then she looked at Orphen, "Did you…?"
 
He nodded.
 
Hartia missed the exchange when he turned to Orphen, "So aren't you going to find out what Cleo's basket looks like? You are going to bid, aren't you?"
 
With his usual stance and demeanor, Orphen responded, "Why?"
 
"Oh, for goodness sake, Krylancelo, haven't you learned anything?"
 
"Why? You honestly think anyone in this town is going to bid on a basket of food she cooked?"
 
"That's not my point and you know it!"
 
"Her basket is always bought." Tistiny added, "Although for the last couple of years, by an un-identified bidder. Although, it might interest someone that I understand that Devon is intending to bid this year so her mystery bidder will have some competition."
 
"What?!?" Orphen exclaimed, shocked at himself for forgetting that Devon would be competition this year, before he suppressed the response behind his usual mask. Unfortunately not fast enough. Hartia saw it.
 
"Why, you sly dog, you." Hartia said, grinning when Orphen actually looked uncomfortable.
 
"Talk, and I'll tell all your most embarrassing Tower antics to Mariabella. We each have our secrets and schemes."
 
"That's not much of a threat, considering you were right there with me and I can tell Cleo. That, or I could tell Cleo all about our talks with Dr. Hale."
 
"Oh…" came a surprised gasp from Tistiny, "I'd forgotten about… How… how much did he give away before Jared was mentioned?" Tistiny asked cringing, knowing full well that wasn't their only visit, but she could still hope the town gossip hadn't extended his stories past Cleo, Mariabella, Majic and Jared.
 
"Oh…on that visit, just the blue kids, stolen bikini tops and poison ivy." Hartia said teasingly.
 
"That visit?" Tistiny asked in trepidation.
 
"On other visits he told us pretty much anything we'd listen to. Two things that come to mind are winter skinny dipping and weddings."
 
In a small voice, "Weddings? Not one where the bride had straw in her hair and the groom a sprained ankle, I hope?"
 
They both glanced at each other before nodding. "That man!" She sighed after her exclamation, "Well, I'm holding you up when you will probably want good seats for the auction. Oh…Orphen, you might be interested to know that that man let a particular secret about Cleo's basket get out."
 
"Shit!" Orphen said, "Let's hurry, Hartia."
 
"Hey! What's the rush? And the secret?"
 
"Just come on." Orphen called back to Tistiny, shaking the small bag she'd given him, "Thanks… I'm gonna need this."
 
"All right," Hartia said, as they were hurrying down the path to town, but before they'd caught up to the others. "Now, spill. What's up?"
 
"Everyone always assumes that Cleo actually makes her own basket for the box social."
 
"But she doesn't?"
 
"Right. Mariabella or Tistiny does."
 
"Oh, ho… the competition's going to be stiff if the numbers of letters and notes that came around to Mariabella and Cleo is any indication. The stacks are equally huge."
 
"What? How? Crap!" Suddenly, Orphen chanted, "Towers in Heaven that Dance Around Me"
 
Following suit, Hartia also teleported to the festival grounds. He saw Orphen signing his name to a page on a table where there were a lot of different sheets of paper posted. He saw Hartia and said, "I already put your name down so you can bid."
 
"Oh? Well…" Hartia started, but Orphen continued to explain.
 
"We've got to sign up in advance to bid for any baskets. You first bid on the basket and if there's only one bidder, then the basket is awarded by default for whatever amount they put down. If there's more than one bidder, then it goes to auction. Like Tistiny explained, it not only saves time, but it also makes the auction more active by eliminating all the single bid baskets. For Cleo's basket, it normally went to the `mystery bidder' who just put down a bid. This year, damn it, will be different. And I didn't ask what Cleo's looked like."
 
"I'm sure Tistiny will give you a hint when she arrives."
 
"I just hope her basket doesn't come up before that."
 
"Wait a sec, if you were the mystery bidder for Cleo, why did you have to sign up?"
 
"This is the first year I've known her that her basket has gone to auction. And since I don't want to give up that secret, if it's going to auction, I'd better do it as myself. Don't you think?"
 
"He can be taught!" Hartia exclaimed with triumph in his voice. "So…um… this packet is heavy, how many sockets did she give us?"
 
"How should I know?" Orphen muttered, opening the bag to count the sockets, "…jeez, 120."
 
"What the… I've never seen so many. She gave me about 160. If she gave you 120… why the difference?"
 
“Majic, I suspect. She knows me, too well.” Orphen chuckled. He was well known for his penchant to hold on to his last socket. “He is my apprentice and she wouldn't have left him out if he helped. Besides, if you're bidding for Mariabella, you'll probably need all of it."
 
"You're kidding!"
 
"Well …Mariabella's went for 85 or 90 last year."
 
"Wow…that's a lot. The box social raises money for what?"
 
"A lot of different charities around the town. I think they're working on a new roof for the school this year. You realize if you bid, she'll know." He gestured towards the mansion where Cleo was, "I thought you were going to keep that secret."
 
"I…err…we are." Hartia rubbed his hand on the back of his neck and said sheepishly, "I already knew about the auction and how it worked, she explained it to me. It's part of the cover." Hartia said with a grimace, recalling how much he hated hiding, "The plan is that just before we get to the auction site, she'll announce she doesn't want a date for the picnic and ask me to bid on her basket. That way, we can share with everyone. Then it's not a date."
 
"Sorry to hear that. You like her a lot don't you?"
 
Hartia looked away as he nodded, thinking, 'It's more than just liking, a lot more. I understand so much more about how and why you reacted the way you did when we thought Cleo was dead. If anything happened to Mariabella…'
 
Mentally shaking himself off of the morbid subject, he went on to explain the plan to Orphen a bit, "I understand why she doesn't want anything public…especially around those folks in town we know can't keep secrets. I mean, Mariabella was engaged to be married to someone else five or six weeks ago, in addition to her childhood sweetheart." Hartia paused to think a moment, silently resolving to talk to Mariabella about not hiding anymore, before he continued, "In some ways, we have similar problems. You have the demon and Devon. I have the demon's minion and a ghost. I just can't help but feel she's about to run on me …and I haven't even done anything yet."
 
"Key word there…yet."
 
"Gee, thanks Krylancelo and how far have…" Hartia stopped when he saw a familiar and dangerous glare focused on him, continuing he stammered, "and I don't really want to finish that question, do I?"
 
Orphen shook his head, his glare fading and they both laughed, slightly.
 
"Look at us. Here we are, the most powerful sorcerers the tower has seen, and we can't get our love lives straight." Hartia mused, "Okay…so let's get back, before Devon tries to make off, or out, with Cleo."
 
"That's not a bit funny, Hartia."
 
"So… you'd prefer me to go on about what Master Childman would be telling us to do right now?" Hartia taunted, as they fell in step together to head out to join the others.
 
“No.”
 
“Talkative as ever.” Hartia teased, grinning at both Orphen's glare and black dog that had sauntered up to him while they were talking and was now walking alongside them and nudging Hartia's hand for a scratch, a scratch Hartia willingly gave.
 
“You do realize who's ears you're scratching, don't you?”
 
“Huh?” Hartia stopped, “It's a dog. A …um,” Hartia said taking a closer look at the animal, “Oh…uh. He's not just any dog, is he?”
 
“No.”
 
“That's no explanation.” Hartia groused, as the Wolven butted against Hartia's hand again urging him to continue the scratch, which he did.
 
“The Wolven will be watching over everyone at the festival, in both their human and dog-sized forms. Unless I miss my guess, he's one of the newer Wolven, but I don't remember his name.”
 
“That's clever. So shall we catch up with the others?”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Looking quite smug, Hartia and Orphen caught up with the others at the shooting booth. Orphen won a stuffed wolf and handed it to Cleo in his usual off-handed manner. She made a big show of `introducing' the stuffed wolf to Leki, who just growled and jumped to the ground near Cleo's feet. After giggling a bit, Cleo turned to thank Orphen just before Alik grabbed her hand, dragging her away, saying he wanted to get something to drink. After a moment, Leki followed.
 
Once certain Cleo was out of earshot, Devon challenged Orphen to a competition, complete with stakes, at the shooting booth.
 
"Let's make it interesting. You up for a bet, Orphen?" Devon asked with a sneer.
 
"Whatever."
 
"I'll take that as a yes. So, you know there's dancing tonight? Since I personally think three's a crowd… Actually, come to think of it, four is, too. So, here's my thought, who ever loses, takes Alik home after he dances with Cleo, since we both know she'll insist on it. Leaving the other to have Cleo to themselves for the rest of the evening."
 
"I should think that would be her decision."
 
"What's wrong? Chicken?"
 
"No, but who she dances with should be her choice. Or do you not plan on giving her that choice?"
 
"Till her father passed away, anyway, she was always my date and, now that I'm back, she always will be."
 
That pissed Orphen off. He accepted Devon's bet, if only to allow Cleo the choice.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
After Orphen and Devon's contest, the trio returned, with Alik proudly holding not only a glass of lemonade, but also a soft pretzel. They all walked as a group further into the festival, Orphen and Hartia slightly ahead of Mariabella, Devon, Alik, Cleo and Leki. Devon snidely called ahead to Orphen and Hartia a question, "This your first trip into town today?"
 
Hartia and Orphen paused in their walking and shared a look. Orphen thought, 'I know what you're up to and to answer your question as you put it, to town, yes. To the festival, no.' Rather than actually answer him, Orphen simply gave Devon a brief nod.
 
Grinning like the cheshire cat, "Great." Devon said thinking that that meant Orphen didn't know to sign up to bid on Cleo's basket. At least he wouldn't have to worry about that competition. The auctioneer had said that her basket had always been bought during the years he was banned from Totokonta, but by a mystery bidder, who never put in an actual appearance, just a note with the sockets. The man even hinted that most of the folks around town assumed Devon had arranged those bids. So if the mystery bidder didn't put in an appearance when the auction started, then Cleo would be his for the evening. Even though he had to take Alik home after he danced with her, of course, he would insist that Cleo come with them to tuck Alik in. So even that loss was still a victory, of a sort.
 
"I can't wait for tonight." He added, leaning towards Cleo, who had been walking next to him, only to find that the annoying sorcerer had inserted himself between them.
 
"What's happening tonight?" Orphen asked, with one eyebrow up.
 
"Err…I wasn't talking to you." He looked around Orphen to see Cleo latched onto Orphen's left arm, oblivious to the conversation. She was watching Alik start to run, dragging Majic behind him towards Tistiny as they arrived at the main festival square, where the auction would take place.
 
There were seven baskets arranged on the dais. Orphen scanned the baskets and knew immediately which one was Cleo's. Exasperated, he thought, `Damn that girl! Sure it made it easy to identify her basket, but I really don't ever want to lose that. It's bad enough I have to wear this get up,' internally gesturing at the dress slacks and collared shirt he was wearing instead of his usual attire. `Still, we did have fun. That was our… scheduled pre-festival fight. As if I don't know it's her mom who insists. But she just had to add insult to injury.'
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
 
When Garik checked his orb he noticed a great deal of activity on a field just outside of town. He realized that it was some kind of human gathering. 'Now what did the wench say? Oh...yes... the Fall Festival. She also said that the Huntress usually went with her pet sorcerer.'
 
He continued to scan the grounds, watching for an opening he could take advantage of. Unfortunately, there were likely not going to be any opportunities this day. Although the Wolven weren't shielding the events, there were five mixed in with the crowd, a crowd that appeared to be gathering around a stand. The stand had several baskets set up on a table, with a man standing at a podium, with a mallet. 'An auction? How quaint, the men bid for the baskets of the women to raise money for the sorcerer friendly town. Pathetic.'
 
He watched intently as he noticed the Huntress' sister blush profusely indicating her basket had come up for bidding. As he watched, the red-headed sorcerer won the sister's basket. Shortly thereafter, he noticed a basket with a red ribbon on it start to be auctioned off. Evidently, this was the Huntresses' basket as the pet sorcerer and the other Hunter were vying for the basket. After they'd apparently bid all that they had, the boy chimed in with a bid, taking it away from both men. Garik smiled wickedly, the boy was becoming very attached to the Huntress and vice versa. That could be useful.
 
After the bidding was complete, the group shared the baskets at the picnic grounds, and became even more boring than usual when the Hunters settled in for a nap under a tree, over looking the activities. If it weren't for the continued presence of the Wolven in the area, as relaxed and in the open the Hunters were, it would have been a perfect time to attack.
 
Deciding he'd seen enough of the sappiness for now and frustrated that they weren't leaving him any openings he could take advantage of, he summoned the wench. When the dark haired, purple-eyed woman and former waitress in Bag-up's inn arrived, Garik addressed her, "Do you know this man?" He showed a vision of Devon in his orb.
 
"That's Devon Enduring."
 
"Ah... Of course, how could I forget? He's the boy's brother. He is your task. I want him under my thumb."
 
Nerilissa grinned, "That's easy. He's easily controlled. So, if you want the bitch and Devon so much, why haven't you just grabbed and teleported them like you did when you brought me here?"
 
"Do not presume to question me.” Garik growled menacingly until she became properly submissive. “It is not that simple. Hunters by their very nature resist most forms of magic. Teleporting is difficult at best and almost impossible for an Alpha at full strength, even for me."
 
"Do you want me to lure him here?"
 
"No, I want you to make sure they," indicating the orb that reflected an image of Cleo, Orphen, Majic, Hartia and Alik, "never trust him again." Garik snapped his fingers and an armor clad sorcerer stepped up and the pair disappeared in a flash of purple.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Once they started to get settled for the basket lunch, Cleo undid Orphen's headband from the basket and put it back on him, with a whispered, “Mother said you couldn't wear it, so I snuck it out.”
 
The group ended up settling by the tree over looking the festival grounds, when Cleo fell asleep on the blanket after eating lunch. Alik was encouraged or, more accurately, ordered, to rest with her. Once they were settled, Tistiny excused herself from Bagup, who'd won her basket, to pull Hartia and Orphen away from the family grouping so she could talk to them in private. She first addressed Hartia and said, "Thank you for bidding so much.” She chuckled, continuing, “In a way, I still got to pay for the roof on the school anyway, even though the town elders didn't want to take my money." She handed Hartia another bag of sockets, “Did Mariabella really think I wouldn't know what she was up to? So, I added to my part by supplying the funds, even if I don't agree with all her cloak and dagger secrecy stuff.” Tistiny smiled at the look of surprise and embarrassment on Hartia's face. “Here is your actual share of the errand money.”
 
"Mrs. Eve… er." When she gave him a look, Hartia corrected himself, "Tistiny, I really can't accept anymore."
 
"You can and you will. Both of you. You earned it after all. If you feel you must pay me back… spend it on my girls. Make sure they have a wonderful time. Just so you know, I already gave Majic his share, and he looks like he's chomping at the bit to explore the midway again."
 
“So does Mariabella.” Hartia said with a grin, seeing Mariabella waving at him.
 
“I'll watch over the sleepers.” Orphen said, going back Cleo and Alik. He smiled when he noticed Cleo had pulled Alik against her and still had the stuffed wolf from earlier clutched in one of her hands. He moved to stand against the tree near them when he noticed someone else watching the scene.
 
Majic, looking longingly towards the midway, still walked up to Orphen and said, “I'll wait with you till Mariabella and Hartia get back. Then it'll be our turn.”
 
Orphen just shook his head.
 
Devon, watching that, smirked, “Cool… then I can go and win her some better stuffed animals than the stupid blue wolf, while you stand and pout.” He turned and started walking away.
 
Orphen narrowed his eyes, but didn't comment on Devon's blatant challenge. He'd won against him once already today, and that was more important…making sure Cleo had a choice in the evening's activities. The rest didn't matter. `Still…I know how she is with cute and fuzzy things…' Orphen thought as a slight smirk started on his face.
 
Majic groaned when he saw the expression on his Master's face change from indifference. He knew what that meant…he was staying to watch over Cleo and Alik while Orphen answered, and then some, the gauntlet Devon had so obviously thrown at Orphen's feet. As Orphen moved to follow Devon, after passing on the silent instruction to stay and keep watch, Majic settled down, realizing he'd actually gotten off lucky. If they'd gone together to the midway, he'd have ended up carrying everything they won. He grinned and started whistling happily, wondering what kind of sight Cleo would wake up to.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
 
After the afternoon rest, the first order of business ended up being arranging the distribution of the mound of stuffed animals Orphen and Devon had won during their raid on the midway. Once Alik and Cleo were dug out of the pile which nearly buried them, it was decided to take the spoils to the local orphanage. Although Alik needed some convincing on that point, it was eventually agreed that he could select one or two that would be sent back up to the house while the others were delivered. Once that was completed, everyone, except Devon, went to explore the different sales booths. Tistiny had insisted that Devon go with her to drop off the spoils. Since Orphen and Devon were banned from the midway games, much to Majic's chagrin, shopping became the activity of the afternoon. Alik was more interested in going from one food, snack and sweet vender to another. Still holding her blue stuffed wolf, Cleo and Mariabella were exploring the sales vendors, and stopped at the jewelry counter. Alik made a face and dragged Majic off towards the candy vendor nearby. Majic, mindful of the directive from Cleo that Alik avoid more sweets during the afternoon, re-directed him to the book-seller a few booths down, earning another face from Alik. Cleo and Mariabella both looked over the wears and, for once, Orphen was watching Cleo very closely to see what she looked at, vaguely aware that Hartia was doing the same with Mariabella.
 
Mariabella called Cleo over to where the rings were, "Isn't that nice?" Mariabella asked pointing at a wedding set. The rings were gold and white gold with etchings of the Tower of Fang emblem on them. She nudged Cleo laughingly, who blushed.
 
"You like those yourself."
 
"I would, if I were marrying a sorcerer," Mariabella whispered.
 
Something else caught Cleo's eye. It was also a wedding set, which had an etching of a dragon and a wolf in white gold. There was apparently a dye mixed into the metal, so that the rings had a slight blue hue. She looked closely at it, reached out towards it, and smiled hopefully. She paused, shook her head slightly and moved away from the rings, moving on to examine a necklace that had also caught her eye. It was silver and used the same blue dye as the rings.
 
Following behind them, Orphen and Hartia examined the rings that had caught …well, their girls' attention. A glance at the jeweler from both men resulted in the two sets of rings being put under the counter and on hold.
 
Orphen went up to Cleo, who was about to put the necklace back, and took the chain from her. He removed the fraying ribbon from her neck and the Wolven pendant from the ribbon. Slipping the pendant on its new chain, he latched it around her neck. It actually matched the Wolven pendant nearly perfectly, which is why he assumed she'd picked it in the first place. With a whisper, he cast "To bind, that which is mine," spelling the necklace so only he or Cleo could take it off. He handed the sockets to pay for the necklace to the jeweler.
 
Stunned at his actions, since Orphen never spent money, least of all on her, Cleo found her voice to exclaim, "What? Orphen, I was going to put that back!"
 
"You liked it."
 
"Well, yes, but…"
 
"Then …no buts. It's yours, for the Wolven pendant. They match. Besides, the ribbon was fraying and I don't want you to lose it."
 
She examined his face, and, although he gave a practical reason, the faint blush she saw on his cheeks told her another story. She noticed that Mariabella and the others had moved off, leaving them alone. She stood on her tiptoes and kissed him on the cheek, "Thanks."
 
"We'll talk about proper thanks later," he said with a mischievous grin, just before Alik ran up, holding a half eaten candied apple.
 
“The eating contest is coming up and Majic's entered. Aunt Tistiny said you wouldn't want to miss this.”
 
“Weren't you going to enter this year?” Cleo asked Orphen, as they walked away from the counter, Cleo making a grab for the stuffed wolf as they left.
 
“Not if Majic's competing. I'm not going to waste the entry fee.”
 
“You mean you think Majic might beat you in something?”
 
“No, I don't think he will,” he replied, adding in a thought, `I know it. I don't know where he keeps everything he eats…but I've heard Steph, more than once, with the same complaint about Cleo, me and our appetites.'
“But…”
 
“I'm not entering.”
 
“Mariabella's been cooking for this event all week. I wanted to enter, but… well, let's just say, I think your odds of winning would be really good. However, if you're too much of a coward to try…”
 
Orphen snorted, “That's not going to work…although the temptation is strong, now that I know Mariabella's been doing the cooking. Don't you usually enter?”
 
“Not this year… I… I'd rather not discuss it.” Cleo whispered as Alik chimed in nearly drowning her out.
 
“Yep…you should, Cleo. Mariabella made lots of good sweets.” Alik jumped in, “I'm gonna enter, too.”
 
“No, Alik, you aren't. I believe we already discussed this. You've had enough sweets today.” Cleo said, making a grab for the candied apple.
 
“But I'm off restrictions.” Alik whined, quickly taking another bite.
 
“True, however, you'll make yourself sick if you eat too many sweets,” Cleo leaned down to whisper to Alik, “Besides, you'll want to watch, `cause you wouldn't want to miss something funny, would you?”
 
“I'm already entered.” Alik pouted because while Cleo was whispering to him, she'd also taken the remnants of the candied apple away. Defiantly, he added, “Devon already signed me up.”
 
Cleo rolled her eyes, silently cursing Devon, even as Orphen was pulling her gaze back to him. She looked at him and realized she'd worried him with her refusal. “I'm fine. I just haven't gotten back into my usual eating habits.”
 
“You mean like eating everything in sight?”
 
“Why, you! I do not eat that much!”
 
“True, you don't…” Orphen said watching her relax with a that's settled look on her face. Then he delivered his punch line, as he hurried ahead of her, intent on resisting a bit longer before he agreed to enter. Mariabella's treats were too tempting to resist. Especially considering the long dry spell they'd be having in short order when they left. With a sneer, he added, “You eat more.”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
With a little more badgering, Orphen allowed himself to be persuaded to enter the contest. And, although pleased he was next to Alik, he was quite displeased to be semi-across from Devon. Next to Devon was Majic, looking quite confident. Orphen rolled his eyes, thinking, `Why did I do this? Majic always wins.'
 
There were about fifteen other entrants, but from where everyone was placed, it was obvious that the contest runner expected that Orphen, Devon and Majic would be the focus of the competition. He scanned the crowd to see Tistiny, Mariabella and Cleo standing together. Cleo was giggling like she was anxiously anticipating something.
 
The emcee came out to make a few announcements, and thank Mariabella for making all the dishes for the competition. After a few bad jokes, he signaled his assistants to bring out the desserts for the eating contest.
 
Each contestant had a covered tray placed in front of him and everyone could smell the fruits in the treats.
 
“Pies.” Majic guessed, gleefully licking his chops.
 
The emcee encouraged the crowd to count down to the beginning of the contest. “5… 4… 3… 2… 1… Eat Up!” At the `Eat Up', the assistants who had brought out the plates pulled the lids off to reveal: Cherry and Blueberry Tarts.
 
“Um…tarts?” Majic asked, turning a slight shade of green, “Why'd it have to be tarts?” Majic reached out and picked up a cherry one, but couldn't make himself eat it.
 
“Blueberry?” Devon moaned, also turning green, “If these came out of the Everlasting house, I ain't eating them.”
 
Orphen had taken a few bites of his tarts before he took in Majic and Devon's reactions. He had to slow down, because he was laughing too hard at their expressions. He glanced back at the audience, to see Cleo, red in the face from trying to suppress her laughter. Mariabella leaned over and whispered something to Cleo and he heard a sound he hadn't in a long time, Cleo's uninhibited mirth as she was set off in peals of laughter.
 
Realizing Cleo was looking Devon's way when she started laughing so hard, glanced over there while chewing on his latest tart, to see Devon sifting though the tarts…muttering, “Blueberry, blueberry…are they all blueberry?”
Orphen spared a few moments more to laugh before focusing on the purpose of the competition, eating. He had fifteen minutes to eat as much as he could and, at this point, even Alik was getting ahead of him. Although a quick glance at the boy showed he was slowing down.
 
All too soon, the emcee called out “Time!”
 
They started counting the number of tarts eaten by each contestant. The winner was one of the cooks in Bagup's tavern, beating Orphen out by six tarts. The cook hadn't stopped to laugh at Majic's struggle to down one tart, like Orphen had.
 
Cleo watched the contest, laughing at Devon and Majic, even as in the back of her mind she was feeling guilty. After stumbling into Mariabella delivering the tarts that morning, she should have told Majic and Devon. `Well, at least, Majic.' She knew she was going to be in trouble with Majic and Devon, both. Having Devon upset at her wasn't always a bad thing, but Majic. Majic was different. And, the glare she had gotten from time to time during the contest, said volumes. He had a lot he wanted to say to her.
 
The winner was barely announced when Devon picked up one of his leftover tarts, jumped off the dais and started marching towards Cleo. He'd seen her laughing and figured out that somehow she knew about the menu for the eating contest. This was an insult he wasn't going to ignore and she was going to get hers.
 
Purposefully marching towards her, Devon held the tart tightly, “Cleo Everlasting, you bitch! You knew what they were serving and you didn't tell me. You arranged for them to give me all blueberry!”
 
“I did not! I didn't find out about that part until…” Cleo paused, thinking even though Mariabella set this up she wasn't going to give her away, “until the contest was already started!”
 
“Like I'm going to believe that!”
 
“Believe what you want. It's the truth.”
 
“'Really, Cleo?” Majic asked as he approached her from the side.
 
“I didn't find out about him getting all blueberry until the contest started!”
 
“And the tarts…” Majic ground out.
 
“Um…” Cleo started, sheepishly, “Well…I found out this morning by accident when I was searching for you…and I-I was sworn to secrecy.”
 
“Accident or Wolven assistance, like finding me and Alik. Or did…oh, wait…” Majic paused, remembering what she said, “Mariabella. I should have guessed.” Shaking his head, he chuckled slightly, “Boy, she would have really gotten all of us. I should have expected that trick, with the story resurfacing again.”
 
“You're such a wimp, Majic! Cleo… you've gotten away with your last prank on me.” Devon stepped forward with the intent to smear the tart, or the remnants of it, in her face. He lifted his hand to pitch the tart at Cleo, when he felt a hand lightly grasp his arm, stopping the forward motion.
 
“Devon, really, when are you going to grow up?” Mariabella asked dismissively, as she moved her hand to his, removed the tart and dropped it on the ground. “I did the baking, arranged the plates and their placement. Jumping to conclusions only makes you more foolish.” Then she walked away, without a backwards glance.
 
Devon sputtered and glared at Mariabella's departing figure, opening and closing his fists, furious at being thwarted again and, worse, hearing Majic's laughter. He was contemplating his next move. He had no intention of backing down because he was going to make his dreams come true, in spite of everything that had happened. He was the Alpha Hunter, the head of all that remained of his family…and she would submit to that. He knew the future depended on him. His enemy, the demon was still out there and a threat. He'd protect them, his family, his brother and his girl. No interloping sorcerer was going to ruin his plans. He looked up, thinking, `But a little help would be useful.' He shook his head and turned to go after Cleo again, when Orphen walked up to Cleo with Alik, a fruit covered Alik.
 
“Since you didn't enter, Cleo, you can him clean up.”
 
“I didn't enter him, either…besides,” she added, pointing at Orphen's chin, “you need to clean up, too.”
 
Orphen's eyes fairly gleamed with the light of an accepted challenge and he took a step towards Cleo. With a giggle, Cleo hurriedly grabbed a handkerchief from her pocket and held it out in front of her like a shield against an approaching storm.
 
Giggling, “Dad did that, remember, Devon? When Dad won the pie eating contest last year at our festival? He …Oh… I forgot…you were away…it was so funny. Dad got it all over himself and then he kissed Mom …Mom's face was covered in pie gunk. You missed it …'cause she got a spare pie…and dumped it on his head…and he shook his hair out all over her…”
 
Laughing, Devon interrupted, “I remember hearing about that afterwards. Our parents started a food fight at the festival.” He leered at Cleo, showing his hand that still had some remnants of the filling from the tart, “Want to follow in their footsteps?”
 
Alik looked puzzled, “But I thought she and Orphen were going to? Not you?”
 
“Alik, don't worry about it. Your brother's just being… himself again.” Cleo turned seriously to Devon, “He needs cleaning up, before it dries…and you just volunteered.” Putting on a sweet smile, she added, “Please.”
 
Orphen watched Devon succumb to the smile and suppressed his laughter, until Devon took Alik's hand and turned towards the restrooms, muttering, “That's not always going to work, my manipulative little brat!” Orphen's eyes narrowed, all traces of mirth gone.
 
Under his breath, Orphen started, “Why that arrogant…” He was cut off by a handkerchief wiping his face.
 
“You really did make a mess.” She muttered as she continued cleaning up his face.
 
“Damn it, I can do that myself! Will you leave me alone?!?” Orphen exclaimed, stepping away and turning to follow them, stopping when he felt a hand grasp his.
 
In a whisper, Cleo started “Please don't…”
 
A high-picked shriek interrupted what ever else Cleo might have said. Cleo looked around and panicked. Frantically she realized they're all spread out…Devon and Alik were at the bathrooms, Mariabella had walked off, Hartia… `I don't know where he is… and Mother? Where's Mother?!' Cleo started to hyperventilate with panic as she looked up as saw something with wings flying away.
 
At the same time, “Get away…Shoo!” Hartia shouted, waiving his arms, standing protectively over Mariabella, who was crouched on the ground, covering her head. A brunette haired teenager was standing next to them, dressed similar to Hartia, with a Wolven pendent, instead of a Tower of Fang displayed prominently on his chest.
 
When Cleo felt a gentle hand on her shoulder, she looked towards the owner of the hand, expecting to see her mother. Instead, it was Argenthua. “This is not an attack or threat from Garik. The attacker was simply a falcon.”
 
Cleo blinked and really looked around, realizing there wasn't a threat. A lone bird had reduced her to a quivering mass. `What am I going to do when it's actually… g… him? When it's a real attack? I can't afford to freeze like that. He's not going to wait until I make sure my family is safe before attacking… hell, he'll be attacking them to get to me.' her musings were interrupted, by a tap on her head.
 
She looked up and over her shoulder at Orphen, who, during the scuffle, had wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her against him. “You're missing things.”
 
She looked out to watch what was happening, and heard something very unusual, Mariabella shrieking in anger. “Tonight's menu has been changed. We're having fried falcon! You hear that, you stupid bird?!?” Mariabella turned to Hartia and cried, “You're a sorcerer…you can fly…go get it! Look what it did!” Gesturing to her, now not-so clean and very wet hair.
 
“What happened?” Cleo whispered to Orphen.
 
“Um…the bird …uh…relieved itself during it's dive…right on your sister's head.”
 
Cleo couldn't help herself, she started to giggle. “Please tell me Doc Hale got a picture of that. If not, does anyone have a camera?”
 
“Gotcha covered, missy,” came Doc Hale's voice from behind them. “Been trying to catch her for years!”
 
Mariabella shrieked in indignation, “It is not funny, Majic Lynn!” as Majic lost control of his laughter.
 
Realizing retreat was probably his best move, Majic sheepishly replied, “I-I'm gonna go get some water …or something salty. To counter the… er… complement the super sweet, tasty, flavor of your cooking. Um…I'll be going now…and, I'll check on Alik… and Devon.”
 
“Majic take Leki.” Cleo said, reinforcing the message in a direct `path to Leki. Go with him.
 
“I don't need him, Cleo.”
 
“I doubt she's sending him for just you.” Orphen responded, “You said something about checking on Alik… besides, no one goes anywhere without a Wolven.”
 
“I know …I know.” Grinning, he changed tactics, “In that case, Argenthua, would you care to join me? I was going to go to the midway, after I find Alik.” He held out an elbow to Argenthua, she grinned slightly and took the offered gesture. Leki, being released of his latest duty, jumped back up into Cleo's arms as Orphen released her to stand on her own while Majic added, teasingly, “I can go to the midway, I wasn't banned.”
 
“I do not necessarily understand the human custom of `festival', but I must admit, it has been interesting.”
 
Cleo heard Argenthua ask as Majic and the Wolven girl moved out of earshot, “Maybe you could explain the custom of…”
 
Cleo chuckled, watching the two different groups walk off. Majic and Argenthua in one direction and the other group heading for the house to get cleaned up, consisting of Mariabella, Hartia and... she sent a quick question to Leki, um… Which Wolven is with Hartia and Mariabella?
 
Terasoan… thinks Red fun.
 
Thanks…Leki. I still can't keep up with everyone.
 
I help then. I familiar. I help you…my Hunter.
 
Yes, you're a big help Leki and more importantly…we're friends, Cleo thought back. Giving Leki an extra scratch on the head as Leki took the opportunity to chew on the leg of the stuffed wolf. “Hey…This is not a chew toy, Leki.” She said, pulling the leg out of the Leki's mouth. Leki growled, playfully before snorting and turning his nose up at the toy.
 
Not me. Leki said, in an almost a petulant tone.
 
“He complaining?” Orphen asked, reminding Cleo she wasn't alone.
 
“Yep…I don't think he approves of the …um…competition.” Waving the stuffed wolf in Orphen's direction.
 
“Cleo, put that thing away before I throw it away.”
 
Leki yipped in agreement and snapped at the wolf trying to get it out of her other hand. Orphen laughed grabbing the pup and depositing him on Cleo's head away from the temptation to chew. “So, where to next?”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Majic escorted Argenthua to the pretzel seller where he purchased a salted pretzel for himself. “Would you like something?”
 
He offered her one to her but she refused. “As you can imagine, I prefer meat.”
 
“Oh…Sorry. I didn't even think of that. Would you like…” Majic trailed off as he saw Devon and a brunette woman…Neri? walking into an alley near the tavern. `He's nothing if not consistent.' Majic thought bitterly. `Where's Alik?' He started scanning the crowd for the boy, and muttered to Argenthua, “We've got a problem.”
 
“What… The Hunters do not seem agitated, indicating Garik is in the vicinity.”
 
“Can you sense Alik?”
 
“Polikapi is shadowing him, but even so, I do not need to…” Argenthua replied pointing towards one of the midway games where Alik was putting down a mostly empty bag of cotton candy, part of pretzel, and an iced drink, to play the dart game.
 
“Hmmm…great. He's been eating, he's going to end up so sick… Cleo told us, no more snacks and sweets for Alik for the rest of the evening. Even the eating contest was pushing it. She's going to be so mad.”
 
“At the pup?”
 
“Alik…not really. Disappointed, yes. Mad, no. Devon on the other hand…well, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes when she finds out.”
 
“Why doesn't he accept the Alpha's authority?”
 
“I-I hadn't thought about it like that. It's a human thing, I guess. That and Devon's really, really stubborn.” Argenthua nodded, accepting Majic's answer.
 
After her comment, Majic thought for a moment. He needed to get Alik back with the others before he tried to find out what Devon and Neri were doing. Well, scratch that, he knew what they were probably doing, but he also knew he needed to do damage control. And above all else, he had to make sure Alik didn't see, even if his mother had had `the talk' with Alik there were some things a kid simply did not need to see. `Besides, this talk is long over due between us.' He took a deep breath and silently added, `This is not going to be pretty.'
 
Just then, Alik cheered, and received a stuffed cat from the game vendor. He grabbed that, his remaining snacks, and started looking around. `Great,' Majic thought, `He's looking for Devon. I have to hurry.' Gesturing for Argenthua to follow, Majic started towards Alik.
 
Alik saw Majic and hurried up to him. “Look! I won! I won a cat. You think Cleo will like it?”
 
“I'm sure she will, Alik. Why don't you and Argenthua take it to her?”
 
“Um…sure, but…I was… I was gonna show Devon first.”
“I'll get him and bring him along. Besides, it's almost time for the dance. And don't you have the first dance with Cleo?”
 
“Is it? …Oh…” Alik blanched a bit… and rubbed his stomach. “Um… I suddenly don't… feel so good.”
 
“And does that surprise you?” Majic chided, pointing at the snacks.
 
“Oh…yeah…Cleo…”
 
“Right, Cleo told you, and us, that you'd had enough snacks…and why?”
 
“Um…but, I still don't feel so good.”
 
“Argenthua, please escort him to Cleo and explain. Or…better yet…have him tell her.” Alik groaned when Majic said that. “I'll fetch Devon.” Majic added with restrained anger in his voice.
 
Argenthua held out her hand for Alik and she started guiding him towards the town square. As she passed Majic, she confirmed his suspicions when she whispered, “Go carefully, young Sorcerer. It isn't wise to disturb a rutting couple.”
 
“That's good advice, but I have to do this,” he replied as he turned towards the alley where he'd seen Devon disappear into a few minutes before.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
As Majic entered the alleyway, he heard the moans and groans of a couple deeply involved in the act of sex. He shuddered, not wanting to see what he knew he was going to. He heard the groans increase in tempo and thought he heard Devon gasp out “Cleo.” Taking that as a clue that they were finishing up, he called out to the shadows,
 
“Devon, if you are quite finished, we need to talk.” He heard the sounds of rustling clothing and hoped that meant that if he actually saw them, they would at least be mostly covered.
 
“Go away, Majic. I'll deal with you later.”
 
Majic stepped further into the alley and tersely stated, “No. We're going to talk NOW! We're going to talk about you abandoning your brother, AGAIN!”
 
“Jeez, Majic, it's the festival day. There's a ton of people around to watch over the kids. Get over yourself.” Neri's voice rang out.
 
“I'd hoped you'd left town, Neri. I thought you were smarter than that. But I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part. You heard what he cried out in passion. And you're still after her rejects.”
 
“You bastard! You hypocrite! You stand up for the little bitch because she protected the little boy who lost his mommy… who's replacing who? Do you follow her around calling Mommy, Mommy! You're pathetic!”
 
“Don't go there, Neri, unless you want to discuss replacing father figures.” Majic hissed.
 
“Neri, just shut up and leave,” Devon interrupted, when she started to fire back a retort. “We were finished, anyway. Majic and I need to settle something, man to boy. Besides, I never lied to you, you knew you were a substitute, until I could have her.”
 
The sound of Neri's hand connecting with Devon's face reverberated in the alley. “I hate you! I wish you had died in his cave!” She finished righting her clothes as she stormed out of the alley, with one last parting shot. “At least I'll have gotten my revenge!”
 
“Damn it! Devon, you are such an idiot! If …no, when, Cleo finds out, `cause you know Neri's next stop is to tell her and rub her face in it, she's going to crucify you. We don't need this! For goodness sake Devon, didn't you learn anything the first time!?! We are at war. There may be a lull in the battles right now, but it's still a war. Kill or be killed and the ringleader is the Demon Lord, Garik. The very same Demon who held you all captive. Or did you forget the cave where you, Erin, Bastian Alik, and…”
 
“STOP! I know, Majic. You don't have to remind me of my duty as the Alpha Hunter.”
 
“Bullshit! You're just a scared little boy with delusions of grandeur. Thinking you can single-handedly save the world and win the girl of your dreams. It won't happen that way. It's going to take teamwork to do this and your actions tonight have ensured that we will never trust you again. You put your own pleasure before the safety of your brother. What does that say about you, Devon?”
 
“I have had enough or your preaching and high and mighty attitude, boy! You have no idea what I've gone through.”
 
“Oh, drop it, Devon. If you really think about it, you know I'm right and you know your father would be ashamed of you. Alik would be better off if they adopt him and he takes Orphen's name. At least that way, he'll have a name to be proud of.”
 
“You son of a bitch!” Devon spat out as he unsteadily lunged at Majic. When he got close to Majic he smelled alcohol on Devon's breath.
 
“You stupid fuck! You've been drinking. Alcohol's not even… Oh, that's the last straw!” With that, Majic used a one-two combination his older brother had taught Cleo. It was the height of dirty fighting, but effective. First, he kicked Devon in the groin, causing him to bend forward. Once his chin was in easy reach, Majic punched upward, knocking Devon back onto the ground.
 
Groaning on the ground, Devon blinked, seeing stars before his eyes and purple light from behind Majic. He looked up at Majic, who was standing over him, with a growing sense of respect.
 
Seeing Devon watching him, with wariness in his eyes that hadn't been there before, Majic added, “Since I seem to have your undivided attention, think about how much you've lost to Garik already. Then think about what you still have to lose. Right now…you're a liability, a liability we can't afford. If you don't grow up and become the man your father wanted you to be, you're going to get someone killed. I'll kill you myself, before I let something like that happen again. Now get up, we're going back to the others.”
 
“I can't move,” Devon whined.
 
“Ask me if I care. Get your ass up. Unless you want Cleo to come searching for us,” Majic added, knowing it would get Devon moving. At the mention of Cleo, Majic realized he would need to tell her and Orphen about what happened tonight.
 
“No.” Devon muttered rolling over into a crouch as he started to move to get up. After a few moments, Devon stood and slowly started moving out of the alley.
 
Once Devon finally got moving, Majic muttered, “That didn't go as badly as I expected…” He turned to follow Devon back towards the main square where the dancing was to be held.
 
Devon exited the alley first, moving very slowly. Majic wasn't sure whether it was the fight, the alcohol or just plain stubbornness. He leaned against the wall at the opening to the alley and watched Devon, shaking his head and repressing a chuckle. He might be angry at Devon for his actions, but it still felt good to humble him. Seeing two musicians running for the dance square, he decided Devon wasn't moving fast enough to suit him, so he called out, “Move it, Devon. I think the music is starting and I really want to see the first dance.”
 
“I'm moving. I'm moving.”
 
In silence, Devon and Majic walked to the festival dance. On the way, Majic resolved that he needed to let Orphen know about what had happened earlier. From there, they'd decide the next step and if that included telling Cleo.
 
Devon and Majic arrived in time to observe Cleo and Alik sharing the first dance. In the middle of the dance, Alik stopped, held his stomach and ran off the dance floor to the bushes nearby. Cleo quickly followed him, unsurprised, shaking her head sadly.
 
“And another thing, Devon. That,” Majic said pointing at the bushes where Alik had disappeared, “is largely your fault. Cleo told everyone, including Alik, no more snacks or sweets. But you not only entered him in the eating contest afterwards, you also gave him money for more. Now get your ass over there and take care of your brother.”
 
After taking one step, Devon froze, eyes riveted on Orphen, who had simply picked up Alik, after taking stock of the situation. Cleo fell in step with Orphen, holding Orphen's arm and keeping a hand on Alik's shoulder trying to comfort him. They started walking for the mansion, looking like the perfect family including the family pet, Leki was bounding just ahead of them. Devon's hands closed into fists. `That's supposed to be me… It's not too late. I'll win her away from him. That'll be us… I'll show her. But first,' Devon thought, his shoulders sagging, `first I have to take care of Alik.'
 
Majic watched Devon walk up to Orphen, Cleo and Alik. He saw Devon take in Alik's condition and his shoulders drop when Orphen refused to relinquish Alik to him. `I can't do it tonight.' Majic thought ruefully, `Alik doesn't need the stress if I upset Orphen and Cleo. I'll tell them tomorrow… or… well, sometime. Soon.'
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
To Hartia's frustration, after several dances with Mariabella, he caught a glimpse of yellow on the path up towards the Everlasting mansion. He knew what that meant. Reluctantly, he whispered that news to Mariabella and followed the request she'd given him earlier. He quickly switched partners with someone else, silently cursing that he must continue to keep it secret.
 
After that dance, he watched as Cleo chatted a bit with Mariabella before Orphen came up and, to Cleo's obvious surprise, offered his hand to take her out on the dance floor. Jealously, Hartia watched as they danced four straight sets together, including two slow dances. He wanted to be out there with Mariabella…not standing out in the shadows. He about jumped of his skin when a voice sounded beside him and silently cursed himself for being so inattentive. Was he getting lax in this city or just concentrating on other things too hard?
 
“Who's the elder missy hiding from? Her sis?” Doc Hale said.
 
Hartia winced. He knew Mariabella wanted it kept from Cleo and the town gossip was the last person he needed to figure it out. Since he really didn't want to give up any more than he had to, he simply shrugged.
 
“Doc, you shouldn't have to ask that,” interjected Bagup, “Of course Mariabella doesn't want anyone to know she's taken an interest in someone new…especially after the fiascos her last… how many engagements has it been?”
 
“Of the official engagements, four. One was broken off because the young buck did a bit of grazing in another pasture, if you get my meaning. Another was when her Dad completely undermined the boy. And the other two…well the little missy followed in her dad's footsteps. Let's just say I wouldn't want to live up to their scrutiny, Caro's or Cleo's.”
 
“Caro?” Hartia asked, suspecting it was their father's first name. Somehow, the name rung a bell in his head, but he couldn't quite place it.
 
“Mr. Everlasting.”
 
Hartia nodded, that was what he'd thought.
 
“Good man, but it was tough to earn his trust. To know him, get to know Cleo.” Bagup added, watching as Tistiny started wondering towards the trio.
 
“She's coming to claim the dance, old man.” Doc Hale said, with a chuckle.
 
“I know.”
 
“If you weren't going to dance with her…why'd you win her basket?”
 
“So you wouldn't.”
 
“Always about the rivalry. Beating me at weekly cards not enough for you?”
 
“Nope.”
 
Hartia chuckled in spite of himself…they were like a couple of old women. Tistiny arrived and started pulling Bagup off for their dance. With a wink, Tistiny turned to back Hartia, “If you're interested Hartia, someone's leaving.”
 
He glanced at the dance floor and saw Orphen, Cleo and Leki leaving the dance. Completely ignoring the male chuckles he heard at his abrupt departure, he hurried back to the dance area, intent on one person. He resolved he wanted to finish the last few dances with her and he wanted to talk. The time for hiding was over. He felt he needed to reassure her that he wasn't going to abandon her, he wasn't ashamed of her and he couldn't do that hiding from her family. A part of him was saying that Mariabella was a little like a wild animal that had been hurt; she trusted him to a point and he still should go cautiously, but at that moment the possessive part of him was in control. The part that wanted to be able to say to everyone that she was his. That they belonged together.
 
Bagup, Tistiny and Doc Hale watched as Hartia stepped up to Mariabella and swept her onto the dance floor.
 
“So…” Tistiny started, “are you going to stand me up again this year? After all, you use your winnings from Doc every year to win my basket, but never do anything.”
 
“Err… you knew?” Bagup hedged.
 
“Yes. I mean, really, what would you two do if you didn't have me to fight over?” Tistiny paused and watched Doc Hale start to open his mouth before she added, “Second thought, don't answer that.” She then turned to Bagup and, with a bit of a challenge in her voice, asked, “So…shall we?”
 
Bagup just nodded and offered his arm. They stepped onto the dance floor as Hartia and Mariabella were stepping off and into the dark of the nearby gazebo. Tistiny smiled slightly, seeing the couple go off to tryst before turning back to her partner. Her partner, who was smiling and watching the same thing she was. “You know, Iris always said they'd only marry once and to unique men.”
 
“That's true, but I always thought she and Jared…”
 
“J-Jared was a chip of the old block…hardly unique. And you don't get much more unique than sorcerers. And I doubt I need to tell you…they're good men. They…” Bagup paused and swallowed, “they would have approved of Red over there.”
 
“You're right. But…”
 
“You have reason to worry.” Bagup replied pulling her closer as he swung her around into a more lively step for the next dance. They both lapsed into silence as they followed the steps and swirl of the music.
 
As the last few strains of song and the following applause faded away, Tistiny became aware of raised voices coming from the vicinity of the gazebo. The silence after that was deafening as they watched her eldest daughter storm up the path to their house, shadowed by a Wolven. Sadly, she shook her head and turned back to her partner. He nodded, took her hand, lifted it to give her hand a quick kiss and said, “Duty calls. I'll see you tomorrow.”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
“I'm glad you convinced me to go back to the dance after we got Alik settled.” Cleo said after she entered her room and let Leki down on the bed. She semi-danced around the room and grabbed her nightclothes from the dresser before finally going into the bathroom to change.
 
Orphen was smiling at how comfortable she was getting with him in the room as he sat on the bed taking his boots off. He grimaced slightly, knowing this was coming to an end in a matter of days. Once they were on the road for the Tower, this wouldn't be happening anymore. He couldn't afford the distraction. `Damn it!' he cursed inwardly, `I hate having to walk it, at all. Wagon or horseback isn't much better. We're just too much in the open, but we have no choice!'
 
The door to the bathroom opened and Cleo stepped out, in her nightgown and robe. Seeing his scowl, she said, “Today was too much fun to have frowns.”
 
“I know.”
 
“Especially since I haven't thanked you for today.” She walked further in the room and settled next to him on the bed. “This was the best festival ever. In spite of Alik getting sick. I…” She broke off looking away.
 
“Spit it out, vixen.”
 
“Vixen? Why that? I'm used to brat, but you've been calling me that from time to time.”
 
“You didn't finish, but to answer your question. Hartia started it.”
 
“That's not an explanation.”
 
“It… it was after you went to Hartia for healing…which I still haven't fully forgiven you for…you should have come to me. But, the following morning, when he refused to leave town, he admitted he'd done a lot of healing the night before. I teased him about always finding animals to heal. He admitted he'd healed a local vixen. I assumed fox…he meant you. It fits.” Cleo gaped at him, unsure of whether to be insulted or pleased. “Now,” he continued, “your turn. You broke off…finish.”
 
“I swear…sometimes your memory. I was just …well… you surprised me by actually dancing with me this year… thank you. I-I had a …it was the highlight of the day for me…” She saw Orphen puffing up, ego in full force, so she just had to take him down a peg. “Although it was a close decision between that and Mariabella getting the…um, 'present' from the falcon.”
 
“Um…thanks for putting me above the bird.” Orphen paused, grinning slightly as he leaned close to her, “So that's two things we have to talk about `proper' thanks for.”
 
She blushed, closing her eyes hoping for a kiss when she felt the bed move as he stood and stepped way from the bed. In surprise and disappointment, she opened her eyes, just as a discreet knock was heard on her door.
 
“Cleo, it's me.” Came her mother's voice from the door.
 
Orphen stepped over and opened the door as Cleo answered. “Is everything all right, Mom?”
 
“Oh…just fine. I wanted to let you know that I was home and that I would check on Alik for you.”
 
“Thanks, Mom.” Cleo said, thinking `That'll save me a lot of hassle. Although he was pretty sedate on the way home, I really don't want to deal with Devon anymore tonight. But… I still kind of want to check on Alik again…'
 
“Have a good evening. And really, dear, don't go following up on me. Alik will be fine.” Tistiny said as she turned to leave, shutting the door behind her, noticing a blue streak slipping out of the door just before it shut. Tistiny grinned, “So, joining me on my rounds, pup?”
 
Leki looked up at Tistiny, and she could swear the pup nodded. She continued down the hall, with Leki, to Alik's room. She noticed when the pup simply slipped into the room, that the door had been left open slightly. She peered into the room, to see Devon sitting in a chair next to Alik's bed. He was facing away from the door, but she could see that Devon had a bucket next to him, and a bowl of water with cool compresses. He'd just finished putting a wet cloth on Alik's forehead when Alik moaned.
 
“My tummy still hurts. I thought Cleo said it was gonna get better after I threw up.”
 
“She said it might be well into the night before you felt better.” Devon picked up the glass of water from the nightstand, “Would you like some water?”
 
Alik nodded and Devon brought it up to his lips so he could take a sip. “Are you gonna be here all night?” Alik asked pleadingly.
 
“I'm not going anywhere, bro.” Devon responded.
 
“Good.” Alik said softly, closing his eyes as he faded into sleep.
 
Tistiny could see the tension in Devon's shoulders, indicating that he was blaming himself and that Leki had stopped midway between the door and Alik's bed. After a few moments, he started back outside the room, to wait by Tistiny's feet, as she continued to observe the scene for a few more moments.
 
Devon leaned back in the chair and stretched. He checked on Alik again before standing and walking to the window. He ran his hand through his hair. Faintly, Tistiny could hear Devon whisper; “I hate it when she's right.”
 
Tistiny smiled slightly. She knew what a big admission that short statement was for him. She knew he still had a long way to go, but he was growing up a bit. She grasped the handle of the door and made a show of knocking.
 
Devon looked out in the hall to see Tistiny and quietly said, “Come in.”
 
“I'm just sticking my head in the door,” Tistiny replied in a whisper. “I wanted to let you know I was back and see if you needed anything?”
 
Devon thought for a moment, before replying, “We'll be fine. But, thanks.”
 
Tistiny quietly closed the door and continued in her rounds. She got to Mariabella's room and heard her sobbing. Her hand was poised to knock on the door, when she noticed a flash of light from under the door. Feeling a little like a spy, she leaned her ear against the door trying to hear what was going on.
 
She heard Mariabella choke out, “Get out! That spell thingy is very annoying!”
 
“No.” came Hartia's voice followed by footsteps that sounded like they were crossing the room to the bed, “I'm sorry I pushed, but I won't apologize or hide forever.”
 
“I'm not asking you to.”
 
“Aren't you?” Hartia questioned, “You said, never.”
 
“I-I did… I-I didn't mean…but…”
 
“I know there's a lot going on and that this…well…this just happened. But I'm not going to give up…on you or us.” Tistiny sighed; he was handling the situation correctly. She glanced down at Leki, who also seemed content, and was about to step away from the door when she very faintly heard Hartia add, “You're special to me. I don't want to loose you. I'll be here for you.”
 
Tistiny stepped back even more confident that both of her daughters had found their matches. A sudden crash from the room and a male voice going `ooof' had her laughing inwardly. `Sounds like she caught him off-balance with a hug.' She glanced down at Leki once more and moved onward to Majic's door.
 
As she approached Majic's door she saw that the light was out, indicating he was probably asleep. `That's good, he's been looking tired and I know Alik wore him out today.' She was about to turn away from the door when Leki pawed lightly at the door and looked expectantly at her. Cautiously she opened the door to peep in and saw him on the bed, but instead of sleeping peacefully, he was thrashing. She opened the door more and stepped, in worried.
 
Majic started speaking in his sleep, his voice increasing in volume as he continued, “No…. No… Agan?!? Not again!!”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Don't say I didn't warn you.
 
And a big thanks to everyone who reviewed, including the folks on the FFRG, thanks for the critic: Broken Visage, Cristina, devildice707