Spider Riders Fan Fiction ❯ Chain of Command ❯ Still a Light ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 6- Still a Light
“My Aqune…” said Buguese. Clenching his fists, he left the room and her. He would be back soon though, he thought to himself.
Buguese stormed through the fortress, all the way back to where he had last left Cicadon. The commander was still there, as he anticipated.
“Hello Cicadon,” said Buguese.
“You're back to do more?!” The frightened soldier asked.
“I don't have to make this painful just yet” Buguese replied. “I'd just like to have a little talk with your commander. You may contribute to this discussion if you have anything worth saying… which I doubt.”
“Yes sir,” said the soldier in fear.
“Now that the formalities are over, let's begin!” declared Buguese, grabbing Cicadon. “I need every detail you can give me about what that magic potion can do.”
“I already told you,” began Cicadon. “I never tried it before. I don't exactly know. All I knew is that it would subdue her power and make her easier to catch. I figured it would've worn off by now.”
“Well it hasn't!” Buguese snapped. He lifted Cicadon off the ground, throwing him at the wall.
“Wah… hey! No hard feelings,” said Cicadon.
“I have every right to be harsher on you,” Buguese responded. “You're even more of an imbecile than I thought previously. Do you realize how important Aqune is to the Insector cause? Without her, we have no chance of obtaining salvation. Yet you seem to think that she's some kind of toy.”
“Hey… you know,” began Cicadon. “If you want you can take the vial.” He tossed the empty glass container to Buguese. “Ask around. Maybe someone can figure out just what kind of potion it was from any residue. Maybe someone like Beerain.”
“Yes… there is Beerain,” said Buguese. “Maybe she would be of help. But if not, then I finish what I've started with you.” He gave Cicadon a final death glare before leaving, the vial clutched tightly in his hand.
Buguese's first order of business was to check on Aqune. He placed his hand on the human's face. She still felt alive, but yet, she looked so frail.
“No!” Buguese yelled. “Aqune, wake up! You're vital to us… and to me.” Bitterly, he turned to leave her. “You will not die!” he declared. Not wanting to waste anymore time, he headed out to find Beerain. Soon enough, he was successful in this.
“Buguese, you seem concerned,” stated Beerain. “Did you get Aqune back yet?”
“Of course I did,” replied Buguese. “Now tell me, what do you think is inside of this?”
“Where did you get that?” asked Beerain, noticing the vial in his hand.
“From Cicadon,” he responded. “He said that you might be able to figure out what was inside of it. Knowing you, I suspect that might be within your knowledge.”
“Why do you want to know this?” Beerain questioned.
“Because whatever was in it is killing Aqune,” said Buguese.
“Oh,” said Beerain, not really sounding like she cared. She did care though; she was quite pleased. “Let me study it for a minute.” Buguese handed it over to her. “I'm pretty certain I know just what it is from it's smell. Bee's intuition. It involved a sort of pollen, which has a very dangerous effect on humans. Insectors are immune to it though. There's no cure to its effects to my knowledge, so I guess your human's just going to die. Looks as if Cicadon didn't do the proper research.”
Buguese was furious.
“Leave me now, Beerain!” he yelled, swinging his arm out in fury.
“I just helped you out,” Beerain pointed out. Rather than answering her, Buguese ran off immediately. Beerain still got her wish though, so she wasn't bothered too much.
Buguese, of course, returned to Aqune. He was still tremendously angry, but after seeing her again, he was depressed as well.
“So, my dear,” said Buguese. “I never wanted this to happen, but I suppose I can't change what has been done. You are going to die soon. I doubt you can even hear me, but I wanted to let you know. I keep too much from you.” He picked Aqune up again and exited the room. “Let's go back to the cliff you said you liked.” Buguese could feel his body shaking intensely as he carried Aqune toward that place. He looked only ahead though, refusing to catch a glimpse of her face again. If he did, he wasn't certain as to what might result of that. He was not the type of being to break down over anything and he would not make any exceptions.
Beerain spotted the two of them on the cliff. She had decided to continue spying on Buguese, wanting to see this through to the end. Any pain it bought her now would all be made up for in the end, when she was rid of Aqune.
“Aqune,” began Buguese. He had placed her down, but was still holding up her limp body. “For an Insector, fate is always cruel. We were born into despair and will probably die in despair. But for humans, there is always a light and there is always hope. I suppose your fate is different, because you have lived most of your life as one of us. I always thought that someday, you would save us and we could both find happiness. I was wrong.”
Because he could resist it no longer, Buguese looked down at her. This time, he was the one to shed a single tear. The difference was, there was nobody there to wipe it away from him.
“Aqune, I want you to open your eyes again, so I can look into them one last time. It's more than that though. As I said, I've kept so much from you. There's so much more I wanted you to know.” It was then when he kissed her. With it, all of his unspoken passion was released.
Buguese then noticed Aqune's hand move. She slowly opened her eyes.
“What?!” Aqune questioned. “Buguese?”
“How?!” asked Buguese in shock. “How are you alive?”
“I'm not sure,” said Aqune. “Just what happened?”
“I suppose we'll both have to wonder,” said Buguese. He then pulled Aqune closer to him and held her.
“I understand perfectly, Buguese,” said Beerain, frustrated. “When you kissed that girl, it seems that some of you DNA was transferred into her bloodstream. Because of that, she was able to fight off the potion's effects entirely. Although, I suspect that her powers played a role too, Otherwise, she would've died much sooner.”
“My Aqune,” Buguese thought to himself. “It looks like everything's going to be okay now. Of course, there's still the question of what you decide to do. I have faith though that whatever happens, someday you will be able to save us and then, the two of us can be together.”