Super GALS Fan Fiction ❯ Silence for Naught ❯ Much Ado About Aya ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Thanks for the continued support. It's harder for me to update lately because of my busy life, but I'll try to keep up as much as I can. I have big plans for this story. And OMG did you guys read Volume 7? It's like RanRei OTP gold!
 
Silence for Naught
 
Chapter Four: Much Ado about Aya
 
Ran stuffed an octopus ball into her mouth and chewed loudly. Aya gave her a miserable look, and Miyu just seemed exasperated with the both of them.
 
“The jig is up, Aya,” Ran finally said, her face full of seriousness. Food was usually a priority with Ran, but now she seemed to be all about business.
 
“If you already know about Otohata's feelings, you don't have to bother hiding them from me.” Ran licked her lips free of food, and Aya's mouth opened in shock. As always, Ran was more intuitive about people's feelings than anyone gave her credit for. This time was no different.
 
“So…” hesitated Aya, and then looked into her eyes sadly. “You know… you know how he feels about you then?”
 
Ran stopped chewing for a moment and stared at her directly. She paused, and her eyes seemed to bore through Aya in concern. She nodded once. It took only that one motion for Aya to feel devastated. Ran quickly picked up on Aya's bruised feelings. Cringing, she waited for the waterworks. Ran loved Aya dearly, but sometimes even she couldn't handle her low self-esteem. Ran put her hand on Aya's shoulder and smiled confidently.
 
“It doesn't mean I feel the same, Aya,” Ran replied, and she loved the way Aya's eyes lit up when she said that. `Good, then maybe she can start moving on - one step at a time.'
 
“You don't?”
 
Ran sighed, and then her hand from Aya's arm returned to the toothpick stuck in an octopus ball. “How many times do I have to tell everyone Oto-chi is so not my type? I'm not into clean-cut dudes. Besides, he may be okay for you, but how can you deal with his negative personality? I mean, c'mon! He's always lecturing me, he won't do my homework, and he keeps trying to convince me to change from being a gal! Well, I say a big F-You to that!”
 
Miyu chimed in beside her and decided to add her thoughts. “Miyu thinks Oto-chi likes you for the way you are, Ran. He's very insistent that Aya be more like her true self and stop copying everyone else. Maybe he's just harder on you Ran because he likes you.”
 
“Hmph. Funny way to show that you like a girl,” Ran snorted.
 
“Otohata-kun is a funny guy,” Aya responded nervously, her sorrow masked momentarily by a pensive smile.
 
Ran waved her hand in the air and looked away from them, staring outside instead. Ran really didn't want to delve more into the issue. It was bad enough that Tatsukichi was starting to worry about the Rei-situation too.
 
`I don't want something like this to break up our group of friends,' she mused to herself, feeling a bit depressed as well and not liking that feeling at all. Ran Kotobuki did not get depressed - especially for some guy's unrequited feelings. And she was used to guys liking her so much when she didn't like them back. She was popular - and it was easy to just put them out of her mind and move on.
 
So why did it feel that she considered Otohata Rei different from any of those jerks?
 
`Because,' she answered herself inwardly. `Otohata's not anywhere near the likes of those guys. Rei is…'
 
“Well, I for one don't care about this anymore. If Rei likes me, it's his own problem!” Ran clenched her fists, and her eyes looked ahead with vigor. “I have Tatsukichi now, and I would never hurt a friend and take away her man! That's just something true Gals don't do.” She turned to Aya and gave her a victory sign.
 
Miyu giggled, and Aya seemed enamored with her words, relieved that she had such a good friend.
 
Then, Ran turned around and leaned her head against Aya's shoulder and said in a sweet, needy voice, “And since I'm such a good friend, I think I deserve a little homework help with this history paper. What do you think, Aya-ppe?”
 
Aya giggled, and reluctantly agreed.
 
After a speech like that, Ran knew that Aya couldn't refuse.
 
---
 
Aya returned home for the night after hanging out with Miyu and Ran. Right away when she walked into the door, she realized her father was probably still at work, and her mother was in the kitchen, and she didn't even bother welcoming her.
 
Aya sighed. It was just as well; practically every one of her evenings was exactly like this. It was a good thing that she could rely on such good friends.
 
She doubted she'd even survive the days if it weren't for Miyu and Ran.
 
Musing to herself about her good fortune, Aya's thoughts constantly backtracked to what Ran had said that night, and how Ran didn't return Rei's feelings. And Aya would never forget that confession, not too long ago, when Rei told her exactly how he felt about Ran. For many nights, she kept picturing that moment as it revolved around her brain like a broken record.
 
She felt so frazzled she thought she'd stop breathing.
 
“Yes, I like her a lot. There. Satisfied?”
 
Of course she wasn't satisfied, but she had to ask him to be sure. And Rei was right… she always did set herself up for those types of situations.
 
`I wonder why he's even been with me this whole time anyway. Did he feel forced?' Aya hated to think Rei felt forced to date her, that maybe she was so much of a hateful person - shy and clingy - that he felt it necessary to humble her in case she went mental if he didn't.
 
`Am I that bad?'
 
Sometimes she hated the person she was, and she had really thought that Rei was giving her the confidence to improve herself. She thought that with his support - with him by her side - she could grow into a more likable person.
 
But now that he confessed to her that he liked someone else, her best friend no less, where did she go from here?
 
Tears began to escape from her eyes, and she felt somewhat satisfied that at this moment, no one in her family was around enough to notice her tears. She was alone and crying, without anyone to look at her with contempt or pity.
 
`Why am I always crying?' She didn't know the answer, but she'd like to know. She'd like Rei to tell her, anyone…
 
But then Aya would just be relying on herself again, and she'd feel even more ashamed that she wasn't even strong enough to fix her own life.
 
The only positive thing in all this was that Ran didn't return Rei's feelings. Rei might not like her anymore, and things may even be completely finished between them, but despite everything, Ran was still there for her.
 
At least, she didn't have to lose them both.
 
But Aya still felt unsettled. She really wanted the courage to move beyond Rei. She really wanted to find closure, to have strength to be on her own - the kind of strength that girls like Ran wore on their sleeves.
 
`In order to do this, I have to see him again. I have to talk to him to find out if it's finally over - if we're finally through.'
 
Suddenly, she felt her skin get goose bumps. What if she buckled under the pressure and couldn't confront him? What if she couldn't do it? She didn't know if she could bear the pain of finally losing Rei.
 
`I can't keep living this lie, though.' She sat up from her bed and raised her chin defiantly. `I can't force Rei to go out with me if he doesn't want to. I'm not going to be that kind of girl.'
 
And she felt resolve bubble within her insides, and she knew exactly what she had to do. She would call Rei about everything tomorrow. And if nothing from their relationship could be salvaged, then she would truly end it.
 
She wasn't doing this just for Rei either. No, she had to be strong and finalize everything for herself. It would be her first step in doing things her way without relying on others.
 
Aya smiled to that thought and waited patiently for that opportunity.
 
---
 
Rei rubbed his hands together and exhaled his hot breath into his gloves to warm his hands. The weather had gotten cold again, and snow from a rising storm was beginning to accumulate over the remnants of the last snowfall. He groaned.
 
“Rei-kun!” called a bubbly woman behind him. He recognized the voice instantly and turned around to greet her.
 
“Rinjou Yumiko-san,” he said bowing, and she smiled at his formality. She swatted her hand at him and giggled.
 
“No need to do that, Rei-kun. We're friends now, right?” She beamed at him and then added, “It took you forever to let me call you Rei-kun without having you turn white as a sheet.”
 
She played with her pink fuzzy scarf as he shifted awkwardly in front of her. “What is it you wanted to see me so urgently about, if I may ask?” Rei looked around and almost grimaced. `In the middle of Shibuya during snowfall at night, of all places.'
 
Yumiko fidgeted with her gloves and looked at the snow on the ground. She seemed to be thinking of something very important, and Rei watched excitement tug at her lips as if she was going to burst.
 
“My producer loved the remix you collaborated on, Rei. Thank you very much for your hard work!” she announced instantly, and Rei felt his stomach flip flop in excitement. His face beamed into a proud yet tempered grin.
 
“Not at all. Thank you for giving me the opportunity, Yumiko-san.” Rei bowed again.
 
Yumiko giggled. “Oh, you, stop that!” She grabbed onto his jacket sleeve and bounced. “Listen, my producer wants to do a video of that remix for an enhanced CD. Isn't that exciting?” Rei saw her hazel eyes glow brightly from excitement.
 
Rei nodded. “And you need my help with the video track?”
 
“Not only that, silly!” Yumiko bounced again. “I want you to be IN the video! You know, playing the DJ!”
 
Rei gaped. `Me? Be in a video?'
 
“See? You totally have the look,” Yumiko said, waving her hands in a frame around his face. She rubbed her chin pensively. “Yes, you're quite the work of art.” Then she laughed at her own quirky joke.
 
Rei smiled. “But of course I'll do it.”
 
“Yay!” Yumiko jumped and threw her arms in the air. Rei felt her excitement become contagious, and he laughed along with her.
 
Suddenly, she stopped celebrating as if she remembered something. “Oh, I almost forgot.” She dug into her coat pocket, and Rei watched her as she brought out a magazine clipping. Rei cocked his head curiously at her. “Listen, I also need dancers for this video. I wanted people who were local, and since my song is a great beat for Para-Para dancers, I need some exceptional people. Since you've turned discs at local clubs, I wonder if you would help me recruit.”
 
“Recruit?” Rei responded puzzled.
 
“Yes,” Yumiko unfolded the clipping and handed it too him. Rei's eyes widened when he looked down at the picture.
 
“I was wondering if you know this girl. I've seen her at Para-Para clubs before, and she's in several local teen magazines. She has exactly the look I want for my dancers. She also looks like she has connections to recommend more dancers from Shibuya.” Yumiko seemed intrigued at Rei's silence, his eyes burning a hole into her magazine clipping.
 
“Rei-kun? Is there something wrong? You do know her, don't you?” Yumiko smiled and her eyes lit up. She nudged him in the ribs.
 
“Wow, she must be special to get a reaction like that.” Rei didn't reply; all he managed to do was swallow an uncomfortable lump in his throat.
 
“Yes, I know her. Her name is Kotobuki Ran,” Rei said, and as he looked at Yumiko's expectant face, he just knew he couldn't refuse her, even if Ran was involved.
 
This was about his career, after all.
 
“Don't worry, Yumiko-san. I will definitely ask Kotobuki if she can help you.”
 
And as soon as he said the words, his heart seemed to knot up with dread.
 
To be continued…