Super GALS Fan Fiction ❯ Silence for Naught ❯ Rising Opportunities ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: OH, the last episodes of Super Gals are so good! Hilarious as usual, but what a great series! I do prefer the manga, but at least there are Ran and Rei moments on the last episode. Woot! Still, they left it rather open ended, so I'm going to work on that. Until then, this story is going to start diverting from the canon, and most definitely goes beyond their last high school years.
 
Thanks you so much for your support of this story. I know this fandom isn't very big, but I really do enjoy writing this.
 
Enjoy!
 
---
 
Chapter Five: Rising Opportunities
 
“Yes, yes, Yuya, I understand that,” Rei said in exasperation. His cell phone was propped between his ear and his shoulder as he worked on making his breakfast. His house was still parents-free, so he had to make his meals himself - not that he minded, and he was rather good at it too. “I know it's going to be a disappointment to Aya, but I've made up my mind. I'm going to college, and she can follow me at the same college if she wants, but I'm telling you that I'm not going to be there. I'm studying abroad for at least a year.”
 
“But Rei, Aya-chan is giving up her scholarship to the women's college for you; doesn't that mean anything to you?” Yuya reminded him.
 
Rei let out another sigh and said, “Look, Aya is a big girl. She can make her own decisions. I cannot let this opportunity slip by. Yumiko-san is touring on the West Coast of America all next summer, and she wants to take me with her. Meanwhile my college here has a study abroad program that partners with UCLA, so I'll be busy working on my entrance essays and applications.”
 
“But Rei…” Yuya whined, and Rei was impressed on how much the boy was concerned for Aya's feelings. Well, Rei was concerned for Aya's feelings too, but lately he couldn't help but wanting to get far, far away from Ran, Aya, and the whole mess.
 
“Listen, Yuya, I bet Aya would appreciate knowing how much you're looking out for her, but really, she's not a child.”
 
“Come on, Rei. Stop acting so nonchalant. Please don't tell me this whole time you've been dating Aya, you've felt nothing for her,” Yuya retorted.
 
“Of course not. I feel… something. I consider her one of my best friends,” Rei responded honestly, but there was a trickle of uncertainty in his voice.
 
“That's not how she sees you, Rei. The girl really loves you, and you keep hurting her,” Yuya explained, which earned an audible scoff from Rei.
 
“Then maybe it's a sign, Yuya, that we're just not meant to be,” Rei replied through gritted teeth. “Look, it's neither here nor there. I'm concentrating on my schooling and my career as a DJ, and that all starts with Yumiko-san. If Aya can't handle that, then I suggest we start moving on.”
 
“Yeesh, Rei. You're so cruel. No wonder you leave a trail of heartbroken girls in your wake,” Yuya groaned. Then he added, “Please tell me truthfully, if you were to ask yourself, who is the number one person in your heart? What would you say? Is it Aya? Because if it isn't, if she's just second in your heart, then it's not worth it… no one deserves that type of heartache.”
 
Rei sighed heavily again. “What do you know about that?”
 
“How can you ask me that? I've been number two in Ran's heart since we met, and it took me awhile to finally realize that and move on. As much as it hurt, I moved on, and now I'm happy with Mami-Rin. I think you need to give Aya the same kind of credit. It was obvious that Ran wasn't interested in me that way, and now it looks like you treat Aya the same.”
 
“Yuya…” Rei paused, and then exhaled heavily. “I'm sorry.” Then, the call waiting on his cell phone beeped at him, and he was relieved to find a way out of this conversation. “Look, man, I have to go; I'm getting another call, and then I have to make a call to Kotobuki.”
 
“Rei…” Yuya began to chide him. “Don't start anything with Kotobuki, okay? I think you should avoid her for a while. Aya and Tatsukichi are still down about your open feelings, and Ran has been edgy and raving more than usual.”
 
“Relax, Yuya,” Rei responded, unable to stop the smirk from a quick image of ranting Kotobuki. “It is just business. Yumiko-san saw Ran Para-Para dance and wants to recruit her for her music video mix.”
 
“What? But that would mean you would have to work with Kotobuki! Hey…!”
 
“I have to go now, Yuya. Bye.” Rei quickly switched to the other call, drowning out Yuya's immediate protests. Groaning to himself, he addressed the other caller. “Yo, Aya.”
 
“Otohata-kun, hello. Sorry if I'm calling at a bad time,” she immediately apologized. Rei bit his lip.
 
“It's no problem. I was just talking to Yuya,” Rei said, his eyes burning a hole in the dish he prepared for breakfast. Hopefully Aya's call was quick so he could finally eat it. Yuya's nagging was still echoing in his ear, and now he had to deal with Aya's apologies. He frowned that his day was not starting out so well.
 
“Otohata-kun, I was calling because I wanted to know if I could come over to see you today?” she asked quickly, and he could sense the anxiety in her voice.
 
“Hn. I don't see why not. Although, I do have an appointment today around 1 o'clock, so could you come after three?” Rei suggested.
 
“Oh! Of course! I'm sorry; I should have realized you'd be busy,” Aya replied politely. Rei smiled at her genuine meekness.
 
“No problem at all,” he said, not offering much. He was sure Aya's brain was spinning to what this appointment could be. He changed the subject. “So…tell me why you decided to give up that scholarship and try for the public universities?”
 
“Um… well,” Aya stuttered, taken aback. “I wanted to make a decision for myself and not just go with the flow, you know? I think it will be a great challenge.”
 
“Hrmm, that's good to hear. I'm glad you're taking some initiative,” Rei said conversationally. “Speaking of initiative, I don't know if Yuya told you, but I got some great opportunities to expand my job as a DJ. A couple of local musicians and music clubs are banging down my door left and right to hire me for their shows. I'm spinning at a new club in Shibuya called Ryo-E.”
 
“Oh, that's wonderful! No, Nii-kun didn't say anything about it. He just said you've been very busy lately, so that's why you haven't been around.” Her voice sounded lighter now, like she was happy he was revealing something to her. He didn't know how to tell her about the offer by Yumiko-san, especially since Yumiko-san was a huge pop idol, and he didn't want to seem like a braggart to have an `in' with a celebrity. He smiled to himself; he was sure telling Aya wouldn't be a big deal though.
 
“Listen, when you come over, I'll tell you about an even bigger surprise,” Rei said, and he hoped that Aya didn't get her hopes too high on what that was. He was sure the news about traveling abroad with Yumiko-san's music entourage would probably depress her, but he wanted her to see his face of excitement about the opportunity.
 
`It's time for you to grow up, Aya, and me too,' he thought sternly to himself. Aya squealed slightly on the phone.
 
“Oh, I can't wait to hear it now! I'm excited,” Aya exclaimed, and Rei chuckled in response.
 
“Come on, it's not that amazing,” Rei said with aloofness, and Aya giggled on the other line.
 
“Well, I have to go and finish breakfast, and make a quick call to Kotobuki. She's around today, isn't she? I don't want to call her at an inopportune time.”
 
Aya's mood seemed to change drastically, and her tone was startled and cold on the other line. “Um… Ran… yeah, she's around. She's probably sleeping right now. It might be too early.” Rei heard Aya inhale a deep breath. He was sure she was disturbed that he mentioned Ran at all.
 
`Yuya's right. Everyone has gone really mental with this whole issue between Ran and me,' Rei thought, feeling a bit annoyed. `It's not even that big of a deal. It's not like I'm going after her or forcing Aya to endure this.'
 
“So…Aya, you still there?” Rei said, his tone slightly teasing.
 
“Oh, yes! Sorry, I was in a daze. Um… I'll let you go then and enjoy your breakfast. I'll see you at three, okay?” she rambled off quickly. Rei made a noise of affirmation and then Aya added, “I have something really important to discuss with you. Good-bye.”
 
And when Aya hung up, Rei's heart seemed to freeze. There was an ache in his head, and his chest hurt. Damn, he hated when he made Aya cry, and he was sure that's what she was doing after they hung up.
 
“Gees,” Rei said aloud, jamming his chopsticks through his rice. He shook his head, put his phone down, and started to eat. “I'm no good at this.” After taking only about a few bites of his meal, he stopped and threw the chopsticks down.
 
After those calls with both Yuya and Aya, he had definitely lost his appetite. And he still hadn't even gotten to the call with Ran.
 
--
 
Rei sat in silence after cleaning up his barely eaten breakfast. Something just didn't sit well with him. He knew that he had to abide by Yumiko-san's wishes because she was his employer, but why did she want Ran Kotobuki of all people?
 
Maybe Yuya was right. Should he really be worried about working with Ran on this video? It was quite possible she would readily accept since it involved money, Para-Para and a celebrity. Who would refuse that?
 
Sighing, he was about to leave his phone on the table and go outside for some fresh air and a quick walk around the block. However, as he was about to open the door and step out into the fresh sunlight, his cell started to ring.
 
He sighed. Sometimes, he wished he didn't have the damned thing.
 
Walking over to the phone, the screen blinked “Kotobuki” to identify the oncoming call. Rei clenched his jaw; he was meaning to call her anyway, but word probably came from either Aya or Yuya that he was looking for her.
 
“Yo, Kotobuki,” he answered, and suddenly his ears were assaulted.
 
“Don't `yo' me, you jerk! You know I'm really sick of dealing with Aya's crying when it comes to you!” Ran yelled at him, and Rei sighed audibly.
 
“Why do you deal with it? I haven't the faintest idea why she was crying. She seemed happy to come over to my house today. I don't get you girls at all,” Rei snapped at her.
 
“Why? Why? She was crying because of you! There's no mystery there. You must have said something, like you normally do, to set her off. Gees, what a pain!”
 
“You know, Kotobuki, I know you pride yourself on being a good friend and an even greater kogal …” Rei paused and his voice was rich with sarcasm, “but don't you think that your friends can take care of themselves? And for your information, I didn't say anything remotely mean to Aya, so I don't know why she was crying. She's sensitive about everything. So tell me, Kotobuki, since she's closest to you, just why was she crying? Did she tell you?”
 
Rei could imagine Ran now pouting in her room, as she said nothing at first. “I don't know, but it had to be something you said. What did you say?”
 
Rei sighed in exasperation. “She asked me if she could come over today, that she had something to tell me. I agreed, but I said I had an appointment at one. I told her about the DJ gig I have at Ryo-E, and then I said I had a surprise for her when she came over. I told her I had to get going then, and that I had to call you. So, what's the big deal? How could any of that make a person cry?”
 
“Ha! You mentioned that you were calling me! She's still really weird about that whole thing, you know. You should treat that more delicately.”
 
“Please,” Rei said rolling his eyes. “I'm tired of that issue, and she should just get over it.”
 
Ran sighed into the phone. “But she can't Rei, you know that.” Ran paused, and there was silence between them through the phones. Finally Ran added, “So, what's the big surprise? And why did you want to call me anyway?”
 
“It's the same thing, actually. I got an opportunity to mix for a very up and coming pop singer. I'm traveling to California this summer.”
 
“WHA?! You're kidding me! No way!” Ran screamed in the phone; suddenly, she was hyper again.
 
“Yep, and it has something to do with you. Do you know who Rinjou Yumiko is?”
 
“Do I! Anyone who's anyone on the scene knows who Rinjou-Y is! Her songs are at the top of all the Para-Para dance clubs, not to mention she is one styling mat-gal. All of Shibuya idolizes her and tries to dress like her,” Ran babbled. Rei smiled, even more eager to break the news.
 
“Well, it so happens, she thinks pretty highly of you, Kotobuki,” Rei said smiling widely.
 
“Hey, stop joking! What's this about?”
 
“I'm not joking, Kotobuki. You know my sense of humor, and I'm not this cruel,” Rei responded, and he heard Ran snort on the other line.
 
“Yeah, yeah, so what's Rinjou-Y have to do with me?”
 
“I'm working for her now. I'm doing her mix tracks on a couple of her hits for an EP,” Rei said bluntly, and he heard Kotobuki choking on something in the background. Was she always stuffing food into her face? Rei continued, “And… since I know Yumiko-san pretty well, she asked me about you. She had been incognito at that club you were dancing at - you know, the one where you begged me to DJ and all the music was ear-bleeding Para-Para tunes?”
 
Ran made a strange incoherent noise on the phone, and Rei finally said, “Well, she saw you there, liked your dance moves, and since she's only recruiting local people for this video - shooting in Shibuya - she wants you to dance for her. And, she wants you to possibly recruit other dancers as well.”
 
First there was a bit of scary silence, and then Rei heard Ran scream. “Oh my GOD! No way! This is a gal's dream come true. Rinjou-Y wants me? The great Kotobuki Ran? Ahh! This is so awesome! This is unreal…you better not be joking around Otohata, or I'll beat you! Whoooa! I can't believe it!”
 
“Okay, okay, I understand your excitement,” Rei said, bringing the phone away from his poor tortured ear. “Now, the reason I'm calling is she wants to meet you. Today. And you know that appointment I mentioned having at one? Well, that's her. So do you want the job or not?”
 
“HELL YES! I'd be stupid not to take the job! Whee! Oh thank you, Otohata!” Ran cried in jubilation.
 
“Yeesh, don't thank me. It was Yumiko-san that spotted you out. I had nothing to do with it.”
 
“Yeah, I know, but I would have never met her without you somehow!” Ran said cheerfully. Rei sighed as he continued to hear her jumping around and screaming in joy in the receiver.
 
Finally he said, “Now get here at one. I know you're excited, so don't get here too early. Yumiko-san is usually a little late on occasion, so try to get her at a reasonable time. If you miss this appointment, you'll miss a chance to be a dancer in a Rinjou-Y video.”
 
“O-K!” Ran affirmed happily. “I wouldn't miss this for anything!”
 
To be continued…