Super GALS Fan Fiction ❯ Silence for Naught ❯ The Right Mix ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Six: The Right Mix

“Hello, I'm here!” Ran announced cheerfully as Rei opened the door for her. He gave her an exasperating look. Not only was she twenty minutes early, but also she had hauled oodles of Rinjou-Y merchandise with her. Wearing a Rinjou-Y t-shirt, she grinned happily at Rei as he surveyed all her stuff. She carried a few shopping bags with her full of CDs, magazines, and other various items specifically of Rinjou Yumiko-san.

“What the heck is all this stuff?” Rei asked in annoyance. Ran flashed him an innocent smile.

“Oh, nothing really, just a few things I'm going to ask Rinjou-Y to sign for me!” Ran replied.

“A few … things? You must be joking!” Rei sighed. “I'm not letting you bring that stuff into my house. Ran, it looks really bad if you're slobbering all over her like a brain-dead fan. Please… can't you just bring in only a few items?”

“Iama slobbering fan and proud of it! Besides, my friends asked me to get some things signed for them. What kind of friend would I be if I didn't do that? Huh? Those poor girls will never meet a fabulous star like Rinjou-Y, and when I tell them the ice prince stopped me from helping them achieve their dreams, they're just going to die! Be a sport, Rei! C'mon, whadda ya say?” Ran gave him puppy eyes and a pout that would make a politician cry.

Rei sighed. “Fine. I don't care,” he said bitingly. “Just act your age, alright? Try to be professional and don't embarrass me.”

“Yay!” Ran squealed, hauling her stuff inside Rei's house. Rei lumbered in behind her, and Ran turned around and winked at him. “I can get you to do anything, can't I?” she purred happily at him, and he gave her a sour look.

“Don't rub it in. I'm only letting you do this because I don't want you to whine anymore. Sheesh, you are full of stories aren't you?” Rei's annoyed demeanor cooled, and he gave her a lazy grin.

Ran beamed at him, and then looked away. “So she's not here yet? Well, it's only natural since she's a star.” Ran bounced again. “Oooh, I can't wait to meet her.”

“Okay, okay,” Rei said, putting a hand on her arm and motioning her to the basement. “She should be here soon. Since she may want to listen to my mixes, we have to go downstairs.”

Ran's eyes sparkled with interest. “Ooh, we get to go into your secret lair?” Ran snickered as Rei gave her an impatient look.

“Yes, which means you must be very special to be allowed down there,” Rei replied seriously. He turned from her gaze, as Ran appeared slightly stunned. She must have noticed the look in his eyes when he said that, even if he was trying to make a joke.

“So…” Ran began to turn the conversation elsewhere. “Since you're going to be working for Rinjou-Y, does that mean you're still going to college?”

“Of course,” Rei answered, and he started to pass her and descend the stairs as Ran followed behind. “I have no intention of giving up my studies, in fact… I'm going to transfer to UCLA after Yumiko-san's tour this summer.”

Ran froze, and Rei turned around to see that she had stopped in the middle of the steps. She looked at him with a frown.

“You're… you're going away to America?” Disappointment rang in her voice. Rei smiled at her, hoping she was really upset he was leaving.

“Yep, this is something I've always wanted.”

“But what about Aya?” Ran asked right away, and Rei inwardly frowned.

`Oh, so that's why she's upset. She's concerned for Aya.' Rei audibly sighed and turned around, switching on the light and descending farther into the basement.
“WhataboutAya? She's got her own decisions too,” Rei said harshly. Then, Ran began stomping down the stairs.

“How can you say that after all she has done for you? You know that she gave up that women's scholarship to go to college with you? And then you're just going to leave…”

Rei groaned, and he spun around to face her, his temper beginning to flare. “Look, Kotobuki, I'm tired of everyone telling me how much I've hurt Aya, how she cries and cries because I won't notice her feelings. I know all about her feelings, but no one seems to care that I have feelings too!” His calm demeanor dissolved and he came up to her face. Ran didn't back down and gave him a challenging look.

“Oh, yeah? You have feelings? Why don't you ever express them then? Why don't you just cut her loose…”

“I try,” he said, his voice cracking with disappointment. His temper subsided and his expression turned delicate. He watched Ran with longing. “But she won't let me go, and if I let her go … if I don't give her a chance, than the person I'm really doing it for will hate me.” Ran's eyes widened with shock. Rei looked away dejectedly. He finally said, “And that's something I couldn't bear.”

“So you're running away then?” Ran said bitingly.

Rei snapped his head back to her and gave her a dangerous stare. “No. I'm trying to move on. Touring with Yumiko-san and going to UCLA, I'm doing that all for myself. I'm being myself… I thought you of all people would understand that.”

He turned away to go back upstairs, trying to free himself from this thick atmosphere. She watched him intently, and then grabbed his arm preventing him to leave.

She was about to say something, but Rei spoke up first. “Aya's coming over this afternoon after Yumiko-san leaves; I'm telling her about my plans then. She can decide for herself what she needs to do from there.” He turned around and met her eyes with fortitude. “As her friend, I wish you would encourage her to be more independent. She needs to grow up like the rest of us.”
Ran nodded once, stunned by Rei's behavior. She finally smiled confidently. “Don't worry, I'll take care of Aya. You just take care of yourself. I'm … I'm glad you're doing what you want to do. You're good at DJ-ing.”

“Of course.” Rei gave her a wry smile. He lifted his chin. “So what are you going to do when you see my first CD just plowing through the top of the charts? Will you say… `I remembered him when'…?”

Ran chuckled and cocked her head at him. She sighed. “I was thinking more along the lines of … `oh, there's Rei Otohata, it's too bad he's not going to be famous as me.'”

“Ah, so you're planning on being a famous detective, more famous than popular idols?” he joked with her. She pouted and glared at him.

“Not in a million years am I going to be a cop.” She made a grunting noise. “Gees, how many times do I have to tell people that?”

Rei laughed and leaned against his wall, watching her appreciatively. “Well, you seem so perfect for it. The ko-gal life isn't going to last forever.”

She gave him a wicked smile and then walked over to him, coming inches from his face. He froze when he felt her warm breath linger over his skin. “Watch me,” she said. “I'm going to be a great gal forever.”

“Ah, so that's what your future entails? A professional gal?” Rei teased, trying not to stare at her soft lips. He longed to feel them and rub his hands down her hips. He hesitated, blinking in surprise as silence wedged between them, and Ran was staring at him curiously in turn. Her eyes were strangely drawn to his hair, and when he caught her watching him, she looked away and huffed.

“I'm starving!” she complained, and Rei sighed in exasperation, feeling the tension fade from the room. “And bored. When is she coming?”

Rei turned away and throw her back a look. “I'm going upstairs to make some snacks and check on the door. She should be here soon.” His eyes flashed with a warning. “Don't break anything while I'm gone.”

She pouted and droned sweetly, “Yes,Dad.”

He grunted, not appreciating her joke and walking upstairs away from her to clear his head.

--

As Rei left, Ran looked around his basement to keep from getting bored. She heard Rei's light footsteps upstairs and decided to poke around his stuff while he was gone. Curiously, her eyes roamed the myriad stereo equipment, CDs, synthesizers, and speakers neatly arranged for use. Her gaze fell on a stack of CDs, and on the top one she read the label, “Yuya”.

She continued to read the labels, shocked when she found other names as well. Underneath the stack of “Ayas”, “Yuyas”, and even “Miyus” and “Tatsukichis”, she found two CDs with her name on them. Lightly, she brushed aside the CDs on top, and took out one of them with her name. On the front cover the label read, “Ran Kotobuki Mix 1”. She opened the case and her eyes fell a purple CD. Looking around, she found a CD disc-man and put the CD in.

Putting the headphones in her ears, she pressed play and listened intently as a zippy, high-energy melody filtered through her ears. She could hear a woman's voice mixing in the background, singing along a cover version of an old Shonen Knife song.

She smiled, but when track two hit, she froze. A slow, haunting melody echoed in her ears, sporadically mixed with consistent electronic beats and a strong, impassioned saxophone. Ran felt her heart melt with peace, and her eyes closed, soaking in the song and letting the beats linger in her brain.

And the more she listened to Rei's mix of her… she felt at home, like it was completely meant for her.

During a pause of harmonics, Ran heard Rei's footsteps shuffling upstairs. She took the earphones out and replaced the CD back into the case. She set it back with the pile, leaving exactly as it was stacked before.

Rei's footsteps clamored down the steps into the basement, and he carried a tray of rice balls and cookies, as well as a bottle of water for Ran. He looked around his basement and peered at her curiously as Ran gave him an innocent grin. He handed her the water bottle.

“Here, and help yourself to some food.”

Ran grabbed a cookie and then looked at him point blankly, “So, you made CDs of everyone?” She glanced at the stack of CDs and then back at Rei, who met her gaze calmly.

“Yep, I make mixes that mirror my perception of my friends.” He shrugged, but Ran continued to eye him.

“What do mine sound like?” Ran asked bluntly.

Rei froze and then looked away awkwardly. “They're… they're not done yet.” And she cocked her head curiously at his response.

The doorbell rang, and Rei arched his head to the ceiling. “She's here.”

Ran hooted in celebration, and Rei gave her a stern look. She rolled her eyes, just waiting for a speech from him that she had to behave. He gave her one last warning look before setting the food down and going upstairs again.

--
Yumiko Rinjou bounced down the stairs, and Ran waited in excitement as she greeted her.

“Hall-o!” Yumiko announced, bowing at Ran and then smiling girlishly. Ran almost drooled as her eyes roamed over Yumiko's expensive outfit and accessories. She met Yumiko's eyes with adoration.

“Nice to meet you, Rinjou-san!” Ran replied, and Yumiko giggled. Rei watched in fascination as the two girls got along well, and he was not surprised in the least. Yumiko was very likeable, famous or not.

“Oh, please, call me Yumiko-chan. We're going to be good friends, Ran-chan,” Yumiko announced, coming over to her and hooking arms. Ran welcomed Yumiko's affectionate disposition and leaned into her.

“Yeah! I'm so excited, Yumiko-chan. I'm honored you would ask for me for your video,” Ran replied, and Yumiko giggled to her side.

“Don't be silly. I've seen the way you dance! You're just what I was looking for, and you have the sort of energy that brings young people together!”

Yumiko unhooked arms with her and then looked at her seriously. Still beaming with a smile, she started to talk business. “I not only need you to appear in my video, but I need to recruit other dancers as well. And… I need permission from your parents.” Yumiko waved her hand in the air listlessly. “Well, we can go over the boring business stuff later. I just want to know if you want the job?”

“Oh yes! And I can bring some of my friends too! My boyfriend is an excellent Para-Para dancer!” Ran announced, but she watched Yumiko frown.

“Oh, I'm sorry… I feel so stupid!” Yumiko responded. She gave Ran an apologetic look. “I forgot to mention to Rei that I'm only hiring female dancers, and only ones that have a hip, fashionable look.”

Ran's smile disappeared momentarily and then she smiled again. “Oh, that's okay! I'm sure I can find plenty of girls to fit your needs, Yumiko-chan.”

“Well, good!” Yumiko said, and she held out her hand, indicating to Ran she should take it. “We have a deal then? I can have my manager type up some papers and then we can ask your parents for permission. Please let them know you'll be my employee, and I'll be paying you for the job too!”

“Yes! Whoo-hoo! I can finally save up for those new boots!” Ran celebrated, and then she turned to Yumiko again, who was giggling at her.

“Hey, do you think I could get you to sign a few things before I leave…”

“Kotobuki…” Rei said warningly.

“What?” She huffed. “You said I could, and my friends will be unhappy if I don't.”

Rei sighed, and Yumiko chuckled. She glanced at Rei with admiration and then nodded to Ran's request. “Of course I'll sign some stuff for you. Anything for Rei's friends.”

Ran gave her a toothy grin and thanked her. Rei watched her intently, and when she caught his gaze, she flashed him a victory sign. He sighed.

As Yumiko finished signing Ran's things, Ran's cell phone beeped with a text message. She read it and then groaned unhappily.

“Ugh, it's my dad. Sayo's in trouble again. I have to go find her,” Ran announced, and Yumiko looked at her worriedly.

“Don't worry. My sister is probably out crime-fighting in Shibuya as usual. Man! I really wanted to stay and hang out with you too,” she said, pouting at Yumiko.

“We'll see each other again soon! Oh, I forgot to tell you both!” She looked over at Rei and Ran. “After the final video shoot, we're having a little party at a dance club in Harajuku.” She grabbed Ran and Rei's hands and said sternly, “Youhaveto come or else.” And she laughed at their stunned expressions.

Ran nodded and grinned at the idea of a party. She frowned as she realized she had to go, so she said her goodbyes. Rei and Yumiko waited in silence as she lumbered upstairs out Rei's house, carrying all her stuff.

Suddenly, Yumiko made a comment after she was gone. “Well, that's the girl, isn't it?” Yumiko walked over to his stack of CDs and caressed the top of them. Rei looked at her curiously.

“The girl?”

“The one that inspires you to mix.” She turned around and gave him a rueful expression. “Don't play dumb with me. I know a lot about music, and with some of the samples you sent me, I can tell there's a feminine influence in there … and it certainly isn't that other girl you've told me about.”

“Oh, you mean Aya,” he said, almost snorting. “It's… complicated.”

“So Ran has a boyfriend… did you miss your chance?” Yumiko asked, picking up a CD labeled with Ran's name. Rei crossed his arms in annoyance.

“I missed it a long time ago, but I'm not sad.” Yumiko looked at him curiously. “I don't think she's ready for me yet.”

“You mean, you won't even try?”

Rei looked away from her piercing gaze and then let out a small smile. “No, I guess I'm a coward for that. I'm afraid.” He sighed and closed his eyes, rubbing his temple. “I guess Ran is right… maybe I am running away to America… running away from her.”

Yumiko put a comforting hand on Rei's arm and then said, “Don't say that Rei. You're doing this for yourself. There comes a point in all our lives where we need to find ourselves.”

Rei was silent for a moment, and the atmosphere was thick and dry. His mind was jumbled with thoughts and desires of Ran, slowly slipping away into oblivion. He sighed.

“Yeah…I hope so.”
Yumiko squeezed his arm and then turned around. “I should get going. I have to draw up those contracts. Give me Ran's number so I can call her when I need to.”

Rei nodded, picking up his phone and then text-ing Ran's number to Yumiko.

Yumiko gave him one last meaningful look before she left and said, “Are you sure you can work with her on this video? Will it be too tough for you?”

Rei smiled kindly and said. “No, I can handle it. Besides, I'm rather looking forward to it.” He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “The more I can be with her before I leave, the better.”

Yumiko smiled at him and nodded. “Now that's the spirit.” And Rei began walking Yumiko upstairs and toward the front door. As he opened the door, Yumiko turned around and kissed his cheek and said goodbye. They both turned around and met the surprised gaze of Aya, who was just about to knock.

Aya looked over at Yumiko, taking in her fashionable presence and then darting her eyes over to Rei, waiting for some explanation. Yumiko ducked out of the uncomfortable exchange quickly, saying one last good-bye to Rei.

The silence between them became awkward, and Aya looked like she was ready to shake.

“Otohata…” she choked out in a whisper. She still appeared shock. “Who was that?”

Converting /tmp/php1eAsVy to /dev/stdout