Super GALS Fan Fiction ❯ Silence for Naught ❯ Witching Hour ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: I'm a bum. Sorry.
 
Silence for Naught
 
Chapter Eleven: Witching Hour
 
The neon lights of downtown Tokyo flashed by the car window, and Ran felt like it was the longest ride ever. More than anything she wished she could go home, but instead she was left taking care of a drunken Rei, someone she was confused about lately, and she didn't know if it was a good idea to pay him mind at all.
 
Yet something inside her just couldn't leave him there like that. Above all else, he was still her friend, no matter how big of a jerk he was being lately.
 
She sighed heavily on the other side of the limo, and she could feel Yumiko's eyes watching her. It was obvious the girl was trying not to stare, but in this limo with only a sleeping Rei for company, it was impossible to look anywhere else - besides outside the window, of course.
 
“You are a good friend to Rei,” Yumiko said, cutting through the silence. If Ran didn't know any better, she'd assume the pop star was trying to fill up the time with conversation, and it was about the last person Ran wanted to talk about.
 
“I suppose. I shouldn't be helping him lately, not after what he did to Aya,” Ran said with a huff.
 
“Aya is your friend?” Yumiko looked at Rei's peaceful sleeping face, and even Ran had a hard time drawing her attention away from it. “It's hard to think this boy could break another girl's heart.”
 
“He told you?” Ran asked, eyeing her suspiciously.
 
Yumiko sighed. “Yes. The way he talked about it; he made it seem like it ended very badly, much worse than he wanted.”
 
Ran shifted in her seat and sat up to listen to Yumiko more intently. The pop star looked to Rei with a sad expression.
 
“I think he knows it was a mistake in the first place to see if he could go out with her. He told me that maybe he could forget about… his feelings for someone else and give this other girl a chance. But the more he tried to like her, the more he felt like he wasn't being true to his own heart, even if he couldn't be with the one he wanted.”
 
“He said that?” Ran asked, furrowing her brow. “Huh. I didn't think Otohata felt that deeply.” She laughed a little. “I mean, he just seemed so mean to everyone.”
 
Yumiko smiled lightly at her. “Rei is a very withdrawn person. It's in his nature to be anti-social and reserved like that. It comes across as haughty.” Yumiko looked intently at Rei again, and Ran saw something else in the girl's eyes. Admiration? Maybe. “I know it's none of my business what Rei does with his love life. I shouldn't have meddled this much. It's just that, when I first heard Rei spinning discs and I got to meet him, I felt like he was a lot like my brother Seiji.”
 
“Seiji? I didn't know you had a brother,” Ran looked at her. “I don't recall a brother being in the bio of the pop idol mags.”
 
Yumiko looked at her hands in her lap, and when Ran noticed the sadness on the woman's face, she wished she could take her comment back.
 
“Seiji isn't allowed to tell people he's my brother, Ran-chan, and that's the way my parents like to keep it. Seiji was given up when I was ten years old. My mother had an affair when I was little, and his paternity came back right when I was about to start middle school. My father was trying to get me to be a singer some day, so he didn't want something to taint our family if I became famous.” She sniffled, and Ran watched a tear escape from her eye. Yumiko brushed it aside quickly and forced a smile. “So the man my mother slept with, my uncle, took Seiji, and he was raised as my cousin. We always knew, even Seiji, but he's treated as my cousin and that's the way it has to be. I mean, he is my cousin, and my brother, you could say, but I don't get to see him. My uncle moved to America with him, and we haven't spoken except once in awhile in letters.
 
“A year ago I was allowed to visit him. I spent an entire month with my brother, and I learned so much about him. He spins discs like Rei, and he's even shy and sometimes rude.” She chuckled. “I'm sorry I'm unloading this on you. It's just that when I met Rei, and I saw his talent, I wanted him to have a chance my brother never had.”
 
“Your mom and dad won't let you give Seiji a chance to tour?” Ran asked cautiously. Yumiko shook her head furiously.
 
“No. The whole thing still hurts my family. It's best that we're apart.” Yumiko lightly patted Rei's shoulder. “Rei is enough for me. He'll be touring with me, and it'll be like I'm with my brother in spirit. Of course, I know Rei is not Seiji, but by helping Rei fulfill his dreams to be a great DJ, I feel like I'm doing something right by my brother in a way.”
 
“That's so unfair.” Ran felt mad. She hated when drama and people's insecurities kept family and friends apart. It was horrible to see Yumiko be apart from her brother, but there was nothing Ran could do. She knew that, but at least in Yumiko's kindness she was helping Rei. “I'm glad you're giving Rei a chance.” Ran frowned as she looked at him. “Still. It's going to be weird not having him around. Whenever I need help with something, I know I can count on Rei. I mean, he usually tells me if I'm being a bonehead or too impulsive.” Yumiko looked at her with surprise, and Ran lifted her nose in the air slightly. “Not that it happens often, you know.”
 
Yumiko smiled at her, and Ran noticed the car was coming to a halt.
 
“Madam, we've reached the address,” said the driver. Yumiko thanked him and looked to Ran.
 
“Here we go. Are you ready to take him in?” Yumiko said.
 
Ran nodded. She held up a house key with a grin. “I swiped his house key when we got him in the car.”
 
“Good, let's put this poor boy to bed,” Yumiko joked, and Ran laughed before they started to maneuver him out of the car.
 
--
 
Ran whined loudly and gruffly while Yumiko kept cheering her on. Rei didn't look it, but to Ran he was actually heavy, especially when it came to lugging him up steps.
 
“Argh, he's so heavy!” Ran panted, pulling him up on the stoop over the front steps. She and Yumiko seemed to work well in sync, but even two girls carrying an unconscious Rei up the stairs was trying work.
 
“We're almost there, Ran-chan, don't give up!” Yumiko said, who was panting just as hard. “Hey you don't suppose his bedroom is right through that door, do you?”
 
Ran shook her head. “I say we leave him on the couch.” She blew out a heavy breath as they managed to get Rei into the house.
 
“Phew, it's probably a good thing his parents are out of town,” Yumiko commented. “I think he did mention them coming back tomorrow afternoon though.”
 
“Ha! Hopefully he has a killer hangover, and they notice it! That'll teach him,” Ran said sadistically. She looked mournfully up at the steps and then turned her head to Yumiko, who gave her a pointed expression. “You want to take him to his bed, don't you?” Ran groaned when the pop star gave her a gentle nod. “Rei, you owe me big time!” Ran yelled in his ear. He groaned, yet still seemed out to the world.
 
“Well,” Ran said determinedly, “let's go!” And with one step at a time, Ran and Yumiko managed to haul Rei up the stairs. Both girls sighed in relief as they pulled Rei onto his Western-style bed. Yumiko collapsed in a small chair in Rei's room, while Ran fell backwards next to Rei on the bed.
 
“Let this be a lesson. I will never let this boy drink alcohol again,” Yumiko promised.
 
“You make sure he doesn't get any ideas in America,” Ran said. “Gees!” She sat up when she caught her breath, and she looked again at Rei's sleeping face. “He's such a pain.”
 
Yumiko giggled. “But you care about him enough to get him up here.”
 
Ran shot her a sour look. “I suppose he'd do the same for me.” Yumiko didn't respond, but she looked at Ran intently.
 
“We should probably go. I think he's fine now,” Yumiko finally said after a few moments of silence.
 
Ran nodded. “You go ahead. I'll make sure his shoes are off.” Yumiko cocked her head at her, and Ran felt her cheeks go slightly hot. “I just want to yell at him before he wakes up.” She furrowed her brow. “It'll probably be the only chance I get without a snotty reply.”
 
“Alright,” Yumiko said, standing up from the chair. “Thank you, for helping me get him home.”
 
Ran gave her a surprised look and then softened. “Sure.”
 
Minutes burned away when Yumiko left, and Ran wandered around in Rei's room, content to stay and snoop around at all his things, getting a better feel for his treasures and favorite things. The boy was such a mystery to her; she thought maybe going through his stuff might shed some light. She'd always seen him as a snotty, clean-cut type with little to no personality.
 
But as long as she's gotten to know him, she'd been proven wrong.
 
She set down a stuffed black bear that said “Yellowstone Park” on its belly, and she turned to look at the clock. It was well past midnight, and her parents were probably worried, despite her telling her mother she was going to be out late at a party for the end of the video shoot. She hoped her mother relayed her message to her dad, for she really couldn't tell him she'd be out. He'd never let her go.
 
Her attention suddenly snapped behind her when she heard some movement on the bed.
 
Rei moaned awake, sitting up on his bed. When he spotted her, Rei looked slightly shocked. “Kotobuki? What's going on?” He looked around his room, his mind finally registering where he was.
 
Ran crossed her arms in disapproval. “You passed out. Yumiko-chan and I dragged you home and all the way up these stairs.” She scoffed. “You're not good with alcohol, Otohata. You owe me one. A big one.”
 
He looked at her stunned. “It would seem so,” he said calmly, but Ran detected the awkwardness building between them.
 
“I was just about to leave,” Ran said finally.
 
Rei said nothing, and she caught him staring at his lap with a somber expression. She couldn't tell if he was still out of it, or if he might have been slightly sad at her leaving. She groaned inwardly. She could never figure out this boy.
 
She walked to the door and finally he said something. “Wait.” Turning around, she saw that he was looking at her now. “Thank you, Kotobuki.” He gave her that small smile that she'd seen every once in awhile when he was pleased with one of her actions. She didn't see it often, but it frustrated her every time. It always left a warm feeling in her stomach that often left her feeling confused.
 
“Yeah, it was either me or Yumiko-chan's bouncers,” she said, lightly making a joke. She watched him as he fell back down on his bed and stared at the ceiling.
 
“I made an ass of myself,” he said, as-a-matter-of-factly.
 
“Ha! That's an understatement!” She laughed, and then walked over to the edge of his bed. “It was good I was there to take care of you.”
 
Rei groaned. “I don't want to hear this from you. You know you were drinking too.”
 
She pumped up a bicep. “Yeah, but I'm stronger than you, Otohata. You're just a weak pretty boy.”
 
“I always feel like you're insulting me when you call me that,” he said sardonically.
She saw the dejected look on his face and crossed her arms as he slung his legs over his bed. She watched him rub his temple and groan again.
 
Just by looking at him, Ran was pretty sure Ran was still not himself, yet slowly, he was sobering up by the minute.
 
“Listen,” she said, and she really didn't know how to come out and say the current string of thoughts in her head. “I think… I think I finally understand why you hurt Aya.” Rei's head snapped up and met her eyes. She pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes at him. “I'm not saying you're off the hook totally, but I do understand thanks to Yumiko-chan.”
 
Rei sighed heavily. “Do I even want to know what she said to you while I was out?”
 
Ran harrumphed. “I wouldn't worry about it.” The awkwardness between them started to feel tense, and she felt her body getting unusually hot. “It's really nothing new,” she concluded quietly.
 
“I see,” he said, and he averted his eyes to the ground. Ran watched him for a moment, and then the time dawned on her. She really had to get home before her parents had a meltdown.
 
Before she could turn tail and go, he caught her arm and surprised her. Suddenly, he spun her around toward him, and he pulled her against his chest before she could protest. In a foggy instant, his lips were on hers, and she made a noise of protest against his tongue. Then, something warm exploded in her body and lulled her into contentment. And for a longer moment than she allowed, she fell against him and let him kiss her, deeply and so frenetically she became scared of the reality. He was good, so good that he would most definitely top any other kisses from this point on.
 
As he continued to taste her, she realized that Otohata had become her `first' kiss, not just something on the cheek or the hand like she normally allowed guys to do.
 
No, this was real, and he felt so skilled and devoted she barley forgot to breathe.
 
But no matter how perfect his kiss was, something snapped in her brain that told her this was wrong. She fisted her hands against his chest and pushed him away.
 
“No!” she said, her temper flaring. “How dare you!” She jumped out of his arms and was panting with fury in front of him. He looked at her with a dazed look, the same mystery swirling in his eyes. What the hell could he possibly be thinking now?
 
“I apologize,” he said with a slur, and damn it, she knew that he was still drunk and not thinking clearly. Then, the next string of words made her question his sanity. “I love you, Kotobuki. I love you.”
 
Before she could retort (and maybe beat him to a pulp), he fell backward onto his bed and emitted a gentle snore. He was out to the world, and Ran was even more furious she couldn't lash back at him.
 
“You! Argh!” She stomped around his room seething. “You're not supposed to do that. It's not right! We're not right, and you've just changed everything.”
 
She turned to his sleeping form with fury in her eyes. “Jerk,” she muttered, yet she was surprised when her words came out choked, as if she was going to cry.
 
Finally, she turned around and hurried out of his house, leaving him to unconsciousness. She wished she could go against her better angels and rustle his sleeping ass up, but she thought against it. She even admitted that if he did come awake again, she wouldn't know what to say.
 
The cold air of night was brisk against her skin as she stomped home. She barely felt it with the remnants of Rei's kiss burning on her bruised lips. She shuddered and realized the hatred and shame she felt for herself right now. She almost hated herself more than Rei. Of course, at least he was honest. She'd known he'd felt strongly about her for awhile now.
 
But love?
 
“Stupid, damn, son of a …” She mumbled to herself and kicked rocks on the sidewalk, but the feelings came no matter what she did.
 
She couldn't believe it. Not yet. Could she honestly have feelings for Rei too? Especially when she did enjoy his amazing kiss.
 
“Dammit!” she screamed to the world, scaring a few night time creatures that were slumbering in the shadows beyond the lighted paths of the street.
 
She hated this. Her feelings were betraying her friends. They were betraying all she's ever strived to push against. Rei Otohata, the clean cut jerk that everyone assumed was her boyfriend. Then, the boy revealed his feelings and threw a wrench into the perfect and harmonious cohesion of their little group.
 
And now she was guilty too. She was guilty for considering him and pushing aside all her promises to never betray her friend Aya.
 
Ran was even guiltier because she even wanted to kiss him again.
 
AN: Working on the next chapter now…UGH.