Super GALS Fan Fiction ❯ Silence for Naught ❯ The Last Goodbye ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Two chapters left. YAY!
 
Silence for Naught
 
Chapter Twelve: The Last Goodbye
 
Five months had gone by, and his high school graduation had come and gone. But Rei still remembered that pinnacle night with Ran where he confessed to her in a drunken haze. At first, it had been blurry, but his intention had been very strong. Without inhibitions the lead-weighted truth of his feelings hadn't felt so heavy anymore and had escaped from him with ease.
 
For the first month he felt miserable, and Yuya had commented that he couldn't have possibly gotten any nastier and more anti-social after the event. However, he couldn't muster the courage to confront Ran, and she made no great lengths to contact him either.
 
She did, however, wait about a week to call him. He ignored the message and never returned her call, and after some deep thinking, he decided not to call her at all unless she came to him in person. She never did.
 
The message was generic too, but he could feel the emotion in the tone of her voice. Maybe she was confused, but mostly, she sounded angry and upset. Her message was very terse and blunt. “Hey Otohata. Call me, bonehead.” And that was it.
 
It was enough to inspire him to keep away from her for even longer, so he took more work hours at the music store, and he threw himself into his preparation with Yumiko's tour and the move to UCLA. He spent some time with Yuya and Mami, but mostly, they kept him out of their affairs, and truthfully he didn't like to be the third wheel. He was glad that Yuya was happy. At least he had moved on from liking Ran.
 
Rei couldn't say the same for himself.
 
As he was walking home from work one day, he unexpectedly ran into an old friend. It was Miyu. He was so surprised to see her that he thought he might be falling into a daydream. She handed him an envelope and smiled at him with her usual cheerfulness.
 
“I know you and Ran aren't talking right now, and you and Aya too, but I really want you to come to my wedding, Otohata-kun,” she said pleadingly, and her eagerness made him feel bad.
 
He hesitated momentarily but nodded. “Of course.” Miyu seemed elated, and she bowed to him and thanked him before running off toward the police box. Rei stared at the invitation, and he noticed that the wedding was happening just a couple days before he set off for America.
 
“How appropriate,” he mused aloud to himself. He only hoped Yuya and Mami were going to the wedding too, so he wouldn't have to be around Aya and Ran to suffer by himself.
 
--
 
Rei had been dozing when his phone rang, and he was a little disoriented when he answered. “Oh, Yuya, it's you.”
 
“Mami-chan's limo will be at your house in five minutes. Are you ready for this wedding?” he asked. Rei had to tell himself when he woke up this morning that this was the day. He still didn't want to believe it.
 
“Ready as I'll ever be.” Rei replied.
 
“Good, I just hope you're in a somewhat good mood,” Yuya said, and Rei detected something suspicious in his friend's voice.
 
Rei sighed heavily. “What did you do now?”
 
“Well, you didn't have a date, and Mami-chan was very insistent to bring her friend to this wedding. She didn't ask Miyu-chan, so I mentioned to her that you were going to this wedding solo.”
 
Rei sighed again. “You didn't,” he said mournfully. “Don't tell me it's Harue, that cranky tanned girl she always bosses around.”
 
“I'm sorry, man,” Yuya said.
 
“You owe me. I'm not dancing with her, and I will not promise to be nice to her,” Rei threatened.
 
“Yeah, I told Mami that, so she knows,” Yuya said with a chuckle.
 
“Dude, you are so whipped by that girl,” Rei said.
 
Yuya chuckled again. “You would be too, man, if you were in love with a great gal.”
 
Rei ignored the comment and said goodbye before clicking off his phone. He really didn't know how to answer that. There was only one gal in his heart right now, and he didn't even want to face her.
 
When the limo finally showed up, Rei had to endure Harue's annoying prattle as Mami and Yuya cooed to each other on the other side. At this moment in time, he desperately wanted someone to crash into the limo, maybe have a fire cracker fall through the sun roof, or watch someone set Harue's hair on fire, because she couldn't stop talking about how awesome it had turned out, and he really didn't want to hear about it anymore in his lifetime.
 
The ride to the wedding was far too long, and Rei thought maybe it would seem a little faster since he was basically riding from one hell to the next. So he really didn't celebrate all that much when they arrived at the church, and he had to sit in a cramped pew next to Harue, who smelled like she bathed in perfume, to wait for the impending ceremony. As far as he read from the wedding bulletin, Aya and Ran were both bridesmaids, with Ran listed as Maid of Honor.
 
His only consolation was that once the ceremony started, Harue and Mami would have to be quiet, and if anything made him happier, it was complete silence. He couldn't admit to himself that he was more than anxious to see how Ran looked in her dress.
 
Soon, the wedding march played, and like everyone else, Rei turned around to see one of Miyu's classmates start the procession. After she moved down the aisle, Rei had to look away since Aya was up next, and he didn't want to bother her by his presence lest they made eye contact. He did catch a glimpse of her once, and Aya smiled happily and didn't seem to notice him at all. He hoped that meant she'd gotten over him and had moved on with her life.
 
The last girl he couldn't help but look at. He tried not to stare too much as she illuminated the room with her presence. Ran had that usual confident smile on her face, and she looked very pleased to be maid of honor for her best friend Miyu. Like Aya, however, she did not make eye contact with him, but she no doubt noticed him because she turned and gave Mami a haughty and challenging look. Mami seemed sour after that, which truthfully amused Rei. It was kind of like old times.
 
The wedding ceremony went on like any other with its basic Christian inspiration. After the bridal party headed out, the crowd was shuffled out of the church back to their cars to meet up at a banquet hall in Shibuya Prefecture. Rei knew once he was at the reception, he'd find Miyu and her new husband and give his respect before he left. He'd have retreat quickly because he did not to run into Aya or Ran, nor did he want to spend another dull minute with Harue.
 
After people were settled at their tables, Rei retreated to the bathroom and checked his appearance. He pulled out his phone and sent text messages to a few people, and afterward, he exited and scoped out the reception hall. The bridal party had already been announced and was seated for dinner, and if he was going to talk to Miyu, now would be a bad time. He scanned the crowd, and Yuya was frantically beckoning him to come over.
 
“Where have you been?” Yuya hissed at him in a whisper.
 
“Making myself scarce,” Rei said pointedly. He caught Mami scowling at him, and Harue looked insulted. He really didn't care.
 
“I'm leaving after dinner, Yuya. It was enough for me to be here,” he whispered, but Mami caught his words.
 
“Huh, you are such a big wuss. Why can't you suck it up and just enjoy Miyu's happy day? She made an effort to invite you; so who cares if your ex is here and the girl you want who won't give you the time a day?”
 
“Mami!” Yuya yelled at him, but Rei had already let her words roll of his back.
 
“Anyway, I'm leaving as I said.” Rei could feel Harue's eyes on him. He knew she was disappointed, and after all the drivel she made him sit through, he felt like she deserved it. “I have to pack for my flight anyway.”
 
“I thought you finished that?” Yuya asked.
 
“Nope.” Rei had to have some excuse to leave this wedding early. He thought it was the perfect plan.
 
After enduring another two hours, Rei saw Miyu finally come to their table to meet and greet them, and thank them for coming to the wedding. When she met Rei's eyes, he thanked her for the invitation and food, and he wished her a happy marriage.
 
“Your gift is being sent to you, Miyu-chan,” he said brightly. Then, he frowned. “I'm sorry but I have to go soon. I have to finish packing for college.”
 
“That's okay, Rei. I'm just glad you made it, and I will be there for your sending off party,” Miyu said and then she squeaked. “Oh, sorry, I wasn't supposed to say anything.” She sent an apologetic look to Yuya.
 
“Don't worry about it,” Yuya said and waved off her blunder. “He's known about it for a couple days. If I didn't tell him about his party, he'd be already halfway to L.A.” Rei rolled his eyes.
 
“Great, see you then!” Miyu said, leaning down to hug him. She moved onto the last table, and Rei turned to Yuya.
 
“I'm going then. There's no need for me to stay any longer.” He got up from his chair and Mami and Harue shot him dirty looks. “Gees, will you both stop it?” Rei finally had enough of their attitudes for the day. He almost missed hanging out with Miyu, Ran and Aya. They never acted this annoying.
 
“Yeah, we know. Take care man,” Yuya said, and Rei waved before turning around and heading to the road. He'd call a cab and find sanctuary back at his house. After he hailed the cab, he felt the inspiration to look behind him. Maybe it was false hope on his part, but he almost dreamed that Ran would run for him, stopping him from leaving the wedding to have one dance with her.
 
Of course, even in his daydream he wouldn't know what the answer would be. He might have even said no just to tick her off.
 
He smiled a little to himself, and he shut the door of the cab when he realized his thoughts were just thoughts, and Ran wasn't really running after him.
 
Rei didn't even believe she was thinking about him right now. Her best friend just got married, and she was surrounded by the people she loved. He was sure he wasn't even a passing thought in her mind.
 
--
 
Everyone had come to his going away party at their usual hangout; everyone except for Ran, of course. Rei didn't expect her to come. In fact, he was rather beside himself on what to say to her if she did end up coming. They still weren't speaking to each other, and even Aya had made a cameo appearance and had quickly ducked from the party on the arm of her new boyfriend, a tall blonde guy who she met at her college orientation. Rei was glad she was back dating again, and he was relieved that she didn't appear to carry a torch for him.
 
It was just as well. They weren't good for each other anyway. She was a rather low-maintenance girl, and in the beginning he thought he'd want that, but then he realized how boring things would get after awhile.
 
Tatsukichi had shown up to his party as well, more than anything to make peace with him. Rei was sure it took some convincing on Miyu's part to come, and though he thanked her for it, it wasn't necessary. Rei still didn't feel like he did anything wrong, even though Tatsukichi seemed to think otherwise. Rei went along with it, and he accepted the boy's olive branch and moved on. Tatsukichi left his party early as well.
 
Everyone had wished him well, and Miyu and Yamato expressed missing him while he was gone. Mami and Yuya wished him good luck, and several of Yumiko's part-time dancers had come to get in a word as well.
 
“So, are you ready?” Yuya asked. His father and mother beamed at him as they went up to pay the bill. They hollered that they'd wait in the car for Rei, but that he should hurry for his flight.
 
“Yeah, I think I am. I never thought I'd leave Tokyo, but I know this is right. I want to get away and concentrate on my DJing,” Rei said. He looked out the window with a deep thought. “Yumiko-chan is giving me a great opportunity.”
 
Yuya nodded. “I know, but I'm going to miss you, man,” he said, clapping Rei on the shoulder. He bemoaned lightly, “While you're gone, I'll be surrounded by all of Mami's friends. It'll be nobody but girls!”
 
Rei smiled wryly at him. “What's this? You're not glad to be getting every free minute with your true love?”
 
Yuya gave him a panicked look. “Not so loud!” he said, putting up his hands. Rei laughed. He gave Yuya a pensive look, and then his best friend leaned forward and embraced him.
 
“You better come back home,” Yuya said just above a whisper.
 
“I will,” Rei said. They broke away from the embrace and Rei saw Yuya wrinkle his nose.
 
“Here's hoping you go over to America and forget all about Ran Kotobuki,” Yuya said finally.
 
Rei nodded in agreement. “I'm hoping so too.” However, his heart was telling him differently. He didn't know if he could find a woman that could measure up to Ran, and the thought totally depressed him.
 
He waved goodbye to his remaining friends, and he joined his parents in the car. He looked back once, and he saw Mami wave again. Then, they turned around and Rei watched them go back to their own lives.
 
Now, it was his turn to get back to his.
 
--
 
He zipped through security and rolled his carry-on bag toward the terminal. He looked at his sheet. Once he got off the plane, a fellow UCLA student would be waiting for him at the airport, and then he would take him to his new dorm room to settle in with his roommate. The person meeting him was a student advisor, and Rei had already spoken to him several times on the phone. Rei was a little nervous about flying and going to a new country all on his own, but he felt like things would turn out fine as long as someone was there to meet him.
 
He settled down at the seats in the terminal, and he pulled out his English dictionary to brush up on the language. Before he could turn the first page, he heard someone calling him in a hissed whisper.
 
“Hey! Otohata!” He looked up from this book with wide eyes. Only one person called him that.
 
“Kotobuki?” He put his book down and stood up. He could barely believe his eyes when he saw her beckoning over to him by the ladies room. He picked up his satchel and left his bags unattended as he cautiously walked toward her.
 
When he got to the front of the door of the bathroom, Rei hesitated when Ran disappeared inside. Was he supposed to wait for her here?
 
Suddenly, a hand flew out of the door and she yanked him inside. He made a yelp of surprise and felt a rush of inadequacy when he found himself out of place in the women's bathroom.
 
“Kotobuki, what are you doing here?”
 
Ran smiled at him. Her face showed a thoughtful expression. “I'm saying goodbye.”
 
“Uh-huh, in a women's bathroom,” Rei commented with a hint of annoyance.
 
Ran walked over to the door and snapped the lock. She turned back to him and met his eyes. “I won't take long. I wanted to talk.”
 
Rei crossed his arms. “About that one night.” Ran nodded.
 
Ran looked away awkwardly. “I understand you weren't in your right mind and you were too drunk to contain yourself, but I've had plenty of time to think about it, and I think you really wanted to do that to me.”
 
“You mean kiss you?” Rei said guardedly. Ran scowled at him.
 
“Yes,” she said, and she pointed a finger at him warningly. “And I'm here to tell you that we're still friends despite that, and I'm going to miss you when you go to America.” She paused, but Rei was already stunned by her words. He couldn't imagine what she'd say after that. “But…I just want to say that you would have had no chance with me.”
 
She looked determinedly into his eyes. Rei studied her for a moment but rewarded her with a smile. “Alright, fair enough,” he said. He walked toward her to reach the front door. He lightly gasped when her hand caught his forearm.
 
“We are still friends,” Ran pointed out again. Rei nodded, and Ran reached up and lightly kissed him on his cheek. “Goodbye, Otohata.”
 
Rei was frozen, caught inside the moment. Ran wasn't usually an affectionate person, so to get any kind of kiss from her was good enough. When he remembered he was in the ladies room, he unlocked the door and shot her one last smile before returning to his things in the terminal.
 
Ran walked silently behind him, and she waved to him before she left. Rei watched the direction where she exited, still staring even after she'd been long gone.
 
Soon, his flight was ready to board, and with a long overdue sigh, he picked up his things and followed the other passengers in to his lonely seat.
 
To Be Continued…