Super GALS Fan Fiction ❯ Silence for Naught ❯ Home Sweet Home ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Silence for Naught
 
Chapter Thirteen: Home Sweet Home
 
Four Years Later…
 
As people's chatter buzzed around him at the graduation party, Rei Otohata settled himself in the back of the dining room on his roommate's couch. A couple of friends lounged with him, his roommate Chris, his friend Shinji and a couple of flirty girls, Sarah and Raquel. He laughed at Chris's jokes, and reminisced about classes with Shinji and Sarah. Sarah was leaving for a teaching job in Japan, and her Japanese was pretty good. Chris was heading to L.A. for a job in animation, and Shinji was trekking back home to Osaka to take over his father's business. Raquel, was the same as always, looking for dreams in Tinsel Town.
 
Rei had no problem finding a job after his graduation from UCLA. For his entire student career he juggled DJing gigs with school and was a permanent part of Yumiko's tour. After graduating, he finally broke away from his DJing with Yumiko and found employment on his own. When he returned to Japan, he'd start a few gigs at the most popular dance clubs in the Shibuya and Toshima. He also had several mixing gigs lined up with Japanese pop stars by networking through Yumiko. From time to time, he'd still mix for his old friend as well.
 
“Look at this guy, sitting all pretty here,” Chris said, joking with him. Rei cracked a smirk. “One of the most popular guys on campus has the fewest words to say.”
 
“The most popular single guy on campus,” Raquel clarified with a catty smile.
 
“Yeah, why is that, Rei? Why haven't you ever found a steady girl?” Sarah asked, slightly less flirtatious than Raquel's usual advances. Though, Rei did consider Raquel one of his good American friends.
 
“Same old story. He's hooked on some girl back home,” Shinji said with a light snort. “Talk about dedication.”
 
“She must be something,” Raquel snorted. “Rei never goes after any girl unless they don't want him.”
 
“And that's even rarer still. There are not many girls around here at UCLA that don't want to piece of our man here,” Chris said.
 
“Their intentions are more than obvious,” Rei said with a sigh, his voice rich with sarcasm.
 
“Typical,” Raquel said with a warm smile. “I'll always be jealous of that girl, Rei, even if I don't know her.” Rei met Raquel's eyes and he nodded.
 
“You're too good for me, Raquel,” he said smoothly, and she laughed.
 
“So what's your story, Rei, besides the dream job and high-class apartment waiting for you at home? You've been straight-laced since I've met you freshman year, and now for this party, you have two red streaks in your hair. What's that about?” Shinji asked.
 
“I think it looks good on you,” Sarah said, “but Shinji's right, it's totally not like you to dye your hair.”
 
Rei's smile widened and he sipped his drink as everyone stared at him in anticipation. “It's in honor of finally going home,” he said wistfully. Although, if they knew the real reason, he'd never escape the teasing. Ran Kotobuki had a red streak in her hair too, and after four years, he'd finally get to see her. Or so he hoped. He was still fighting with himself on whether or not to search her out when he got back.
 
Shinji looked at him with disbelief. “Uh huh, sure. This has nothing to do with your DJ image, does it?”
 
Rei laughed at that, and he didn't care if his friends believed that to be true.
 
“Man, Chris, this party is dying,” Sarah complained, thankfully turning the subject away from him. She turned to the others and looked at them pleadingly. “Is anyone leaving so I can hitch a ride?”
 
“I am,” Rei said, and he yawned. “My flight is at 7 A.M. tomorrow.” Chris groaned for him, and Sarah looked happy to be getting a ride from him. She knew that she wasn't getting anything out of him, but just the look of satisfaction on her face when Raquel glared at her was probably enough. Rei will never understand women.
 
“Well, this is where I say goodbye,” Rei said, standing up from the couch and holding out his hand to Raquel. Instead she took him into a big hug and soon he was being passed around to embrace each one of his college friends. Despite his longing for home (and Ran), he would truly miss every one of them. Coming to UCLA was a good idea, and he would never take it back if given the chance. He had gained many wonderful memories here.
 
He said his last goodbyes, and as he took Sarah back to her apartment, he listened to her chatter and tried to be as attentive as possible. When he drove up to the curb, Sarah took off her seat belt and gave him another hug.
 
“Rei, I hope you find your special girl. She'd be a fool to refuse you. You're an amazing guy.” She smiled at him, and Rei nodded.
 
“You need to visit me when you move to Japan. I'll give you a free pass to my shows,” Rei said, and Sarah's face lit up to that. He actually looked forward to seeing a couple of his friends live in his native country.
 
The car was silent as she bounced away, and he watched her walk up to her stoop and didn't leave until she was safely inside. Rei smiled and his mind switched gears.
 
He was anxious to get home; his favorite TV program was on: The Kotobuki Variety Show.
 
--
 
Rei settled into his empty room. His bags were all packed, and all he kept out were a blanket and pillow on the empty mattress of the bed. He'd be off to Japan tomorrow, so there was no need to keep anything unpacked, especially if he only cared about one thing before finally going to sleep.
 
The TV blipped on and Rei turned up the volume. He didn't even have to turn the channel; it was still on Tokyo TV, and at this time of every night, Ran Kotobuki, stylish private detective and former Shibuya police woman, talked for a half hour about domestic violence, women's empowerment, and even fashion sense. She was telling people what to do and helping them, and all the attention was on her. It was like her dream come true.
 
Rei found her TV show highly amusing, especially when she barely changed from four years ago. On the other hand, whenever he watched it he'd remember how much he missed her, and that he still longed for her on the loneliest of nights. He'd dreamt of her, soft and warm in his arms as he trailed kisses down her body.
 
But those were just dreams, and he sometimes felt like a fool for thinking he could someday have her if he waited long enough. For all he knew, when he got home he'd find out she had a boyfriend. Rei checked gossip websites vigorously, and he hadn't heard anything, but there was still that chance. Ran was good at intimidating people not to bother her if she didn't want them too.
 
“Ah, good evening out there in Japan, Ran-heads,” she spoke to her fans. “Tonight we have a special show in store for you. I'm going to show you how to use a taser gun! And then we'll talk about some local organizations that are holding events for needy women and children, and like every closing, we'll discuss the dos and don'ts of fashion and give some terrif examples. How does that sound?”
 
The audience in the background cheered, and Ran seemed to light up from their enthusiasm. She was always popular, and Rei was very proud of her.
 
For the rest of the show, Rei was mesmerized, and he chuckled along with her jokes and watched in fascination as she took charge of her guests and was encouraging to audience's questions.
 
His eyes felt heavy as the credits rolled, and with the closing theme of spunky music filtering inside his tired brain, he finally gave into sleep.
 
That night he dreamed not of going home, but of memories of Ran when they were younger. When morning came he didn't want to wake up and escape his dreams.
 
To Be Continued….
 
AN: One chapter left, coming very soon!