Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Hell's Heir ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own them
 
Chapter 4
 
Sam smiled as he watched the sun rise. It was peaceful times like this that made him love the Earth and miss it when he wasn't there. He hated that the poor planet kept getting caught in the middle of the war; a war he wished was never fought. But if not for the war he never would have met Dean, and that was something he couldn't bear the thought of. He just hoped Ruby's search yielded results soon. He knew Dean was growing suspicious of him and he didn't want him to be scared of him, he could never hurt Dean.
 
“Up early?” Sam smiled at the sound of Dean's sleep laden voice as the older Winchester left the warmth of their motel room to join him.
 
“Couldn't sleep.” Sam answered, holding out his blanket in an offer. Dean hesitated but then sat next to him, letting Sam wrap them both in the blanket.
“It's beautiful, isn't' it?” Sam whispered, staring out at the horizon and Dean nodded.
 
“You okay?” Dean asked, looking at him in concern and Sam smiled at him, leaning his head on Dean's shoulder.
 
“Yeah. We spend all our time fighting to protect people, sometimes it's just nice to stop and look at what we're fighting for.” Sam answered; glad Dean wasn't pushing him away.
“I miss the old hunts, before all the demons.” Sam admitted and Dean nodded.
 
“To think we thought they were hard.” He chuckled softly and Sam nodded.
 
“I'm scared Dean, I can't lose you.” Sam whispered. He was scared, if Dean died early his soul may not go to hell and they would be torn apart for who knew how long?
 
“It's gonna be okay Sammy, you're stronger than you think.” Dean answered.
 
“I see the way you look at me sometimes Dean...why?” Sam asked, deciding to see how much Dean suspected.
 
“Sammy no.” Dean tried to close the subject.
 
“Dean please, what's wrong?” Sam sat up, staring him in the eyes, begging for the truth and Dean had to look down.
 
“Sam I....it's just, you're different. Ever since.....ever since you came back.” Dean whispered, not looking at Sam.
 
“Dean....I...I'm just trying to survive. You're leaving me and I'll have to live here alone. To do that, I have to be more like you and Dad. I turned my back on Jake and I paid for it, I can't make mistakes like that anymore. But I'm still me, still your Sammy.” Sam explained and Dean finally looked up at him.
 
“I don't want you to have to change.” Dean admitted and Sam gave him a sad smile.
 
“I know.”
 
---------------------------------------------------
They rushed to the man's side, relieved to find he was still conscious although bleeding heavily.
 
“Hey, hey. Don't worry. We're gonna call you some help, okay?” Sam offered, pulling out his phone to dial 911.

“Where is she? Where'd she go?!” Dean demanded and the man shakily pointed down the alley. Sam stayed with him as Dean took off. He ran for a while before finally coming to an open space with several options in where to go. Sighing he raised his machete and drew it across his left forearm, drawing blood.
“Smell that?! Come and get it!” he yelled and a woman emerged from a side alley, blood caking her lower face and clothes.
“That's right. Come on. I smell good, don't I? I taste even better.” He taunted and she walked closer, eyeing the machete so he dropped it.
“Come on! Free lunch!”

The vampire charged; as she grabbed him and started sink her teeth into his neck, Dean whipped out a syringe and plunged it into her neck. She convulsed and fell to the ground, unconscious. Sam came running down the alley only to stop and stare at his brother who was bleeding and the vampire.

“What?” Dean asked at the look.

“Cutting it a little close, don't you think?” Sam asked.

“Ah, that's just chum in the water. Worked, didn't it?” Dean asked with a grin and Sam shook his head. Sometimes he really couldn't believe how little Dean seemed to care about his own life.
 
-----------------------------
The man that Sam and Dean rescued was laying in his hospital bed, a bandage on his neck and an I.V. in his arm. Gordon and Kubrick walked in and flashed fake FBI badges at him.

“Sir, a few questions about the attack.” Gordon stated and the man frowned.

“I already talked to the cops.” He told them.

“Well, we're not cops. We're FBI.” Gordon explained, making sure the man saw the badge.

“FBI?”
 

“Can you describe your attacker?” Gordon asked seriously.

“She was crazy. She had that, uh, super-PCP strength, you know? She gnawed on my neck.” He told them, touching the heavy bandage.

“And did she bleed on you?” Gordon asked and the man's eyes widened.
“On me, no.”

“In your mouth, open wound, anything? You sure about that?” Gordon pushed.

“Yeah, I'm sure. Why?”

“This woman has a very dangerous virus.” The hunter lied and the poor man nearly had a heart attack.

“What? She bit me in the neck!” He panicked.

“The bite doesn't matter. You have to actually ingest the blood to be infected.” Kubrick spoke up and they watched the victim relax a bit.

“Good thing, too. We'd have had to kill you.” Gordon stated and the man laughed only to go silent at the two serious looks being aimed at him.
“The attack?”

“She jumped me, then bit me. Then those two guys found me and chased her down the alley.”

“What did they look like?” Gordon asked eagerly.

“I didn't get a good look.”

“Think.” He demanded.
“One of them was real tall.” The man finally offered and the two hunters exchanged a look.

-------------------------------------
Sam paced the room, waiting for Dean to come back or at least call. He knew Dean was still alive but not where. He spun as the door opened, relief flooding him as Dean wandered in.

“There you are!”

“Yeah. Sorry, I stopped for a slice.” Dean admitted with a shrug and Sam really wanted to strangle him for that.

“Nice move you pulled back there, Dean, running right at the weapons.” Sam snapped, he could survive if hit, Dean could die.

“Well, what can I say? I'm a bad-ass.” Dean answered with a grin, ignoring the fear in Sam's eyes.
“So, I guess Gordon's out of jail.”

“Uh, yeah, I guess so. You know, how the hell did he know where to find us?” Sam asked, already thinking up things to do to the person who had told Gordon. This time he'd deal with the hunter as well.

“That bitch.” Dean suddenly snapped, pulling out his phone and dialling.
“Hi, Bela.”

“Hello, Dean.” She answered while driving.

“Question for you. When you called me yesterday, it wasn't to thank me for saving your ass, was it?” Dean asked and Sam basked in the rage Dean was showing.

“Gordon Walker paid me to tell him where you were.” She admitted.

“Excuse me?” Dean asked, eyes wide.

“Well, he had a gun on me. What else was I supposed to do?”

“I don't know, maybe pick up the phone and tell us that a raging psychopath was dropping by!” Dean yelled at her.
“I did fully intend to call. I just got a bit sidetracked.” She answered and Sam would have killed her except he could feel the contract she had and the fact it'd be up sooner than Dean's. Not often he'd wish those beasts on someone but Bela had become an exception.

“He tried to kill us!” Dean yelled.

“I'm sorry. I didn't realize it was such big deal. After all, there are two of you and one of him.” She argued and Sam calmed a little, so she hadn't known they'd be facing two and had thought they'd have the upper hand. He had to fight not to show anything since he shouldn't be able to hear her side of the conversation.

“There were two of them.” Dean snapped and then took a deep breath.
“Bela, if we make it out of this alive, the first thing I'm gonna do is kill you.” He promised and Sam stared in shock. It wasn't like Dean to threaten a human like that.

“You're not serious.”

“Listen to my voice and tell me if I'm serious.” He replied before hanging up. He looked at Sam and then away and Sam sighed.
“What?” Dean asked.
 
“Are you serious?” Sam asked and Dean looked at him.
 
“Yes.” He answered, expecting an argument but none came and Dean frowned.
 
-----------------------------------
Dean was sharpening his machete while Sam cleaned a gun, neither really eager to head back out at the moment.

“That vampire's still out there, Dean.” Sam finally said.

“First things first.” Dean answered and Sam looked at him.

“Gordon.” Sam stated and Dean nodded, putting the machete down.

“About that. When we find him, or if he finds us... I'm just saying he's not leaving us a whole lot of options.” Dean tried to rationalise and Sam nodded.

“Yeah, I know. We've got to kill him.” Sam stated calmly and Dean stared at him.

“Really? Just like that? I thought you would have been like, `No, we can't, he's human, it's wrong.'" Dean mock-whined and Sam shrugged.

“No, I'm done. Gordon's not gonna stop until we're dead... or till he is.” Sam answered and Dean went to speak but was interrupted by his phone ringing.
“What?!” He growled.

“I don't like it when people hold grudges against me, and more to the point, I'd rather you didn't kill me, so I went ahead and found Gordon's exact location for you.” Bela responded.

“You're a hundred miles away. How the hell did you...” Dean asked and he heard her laugh slightly.

“Hello? Purveyor of powerful occult objects? I used a talking board to contact the other side.” She explained.

“And?” Dean prompted.

“Warehouse. Two stories, riverfront, neon sign outside.”

“Thanks.”

“One more thing. The spirit had a message for you. "Leave town, run like hell, and whatever you do, don't go after Gordon." For whatever that's worth.” Then she hung up.
 
----------------------------------
They crept down the steps into the room to find the bodies of two girls hanging, headless, and the vampire kneeling in front of them. Dean took a knife from the table and approached him slowly; he heard Dean coming but didn't move.

“Go ahead. Do it. Kill me.” Dixon told them and Sam looked around.

“What happened here?” he asked, gun still aimed at the vampire.

“Gordon Walker. I never should have brought a hunter here. Never. I just... I just wanted some kind of revenge. Stupid... exposing him to my family.” The vampire answered despondently.
“Oh, yeah, you're such a family man.” Dean snapped.

“You don't understand.” Dixon stated, never taking his eyes off the bodies.

“I don't want to understand, you son of—“ Dean growled.

“I was desperate. You ever felt desperate? I've lost everyone I ever loved. I'm staring down eternity alone. Can you think of a worse hell?” Dixon finally looked at them.

“Well, there's Hell.” Dean answered and Sam hid a smirk, oh how wrong Dean was.

“I wasn't thinking. I just, I didn't care anymore. Do you know it's like when you just don't give a damn? It's like... it's like being dead already. So just go ahead. Do it.” Dixon begged.

“Dean. Head wasn't cut off, it was ripped off. With someone's bare hands. Dixon, what did you do to Gordon?” Sam asked, but he already knew. This was not going to be good.
 
--------------------------------------
“Sammy, stay here.” Dean ordered and Sam narrowed his eyes.

“What? Where you going now?” he asked suspiciously. Dean pulled the Colt out of his bag and checked it over.

“I'm going after Gordon.” Dean stated and Sam stared at him in shock.

“What?” No way was that happening! He'd already had to stop Dean becoming an incubus, he didn't want to know what would happen if Gordon managed to infect him.

“You heard me.”

“Not alone, you're not.” Sam argued.

“Sam, I don't need you to sign me a permission slip, okay? He's after you, not me, and he's turbocharged. I want you to stay out of harm's way. I'll take care of it.” Dean explained.

“You're not going by yourself, you're gonna get killed.” Sam told him, trying to stay calm. If only Ruby would hurry up and find it!

“Just another day at the office. It's a massively dangerous day at the office.” Dean told him flippantly.

“So you're the guy with nothing to lose now, huh? Oh wait, let me guess. Because, uh, it's because you're already dead, right?” Sam snapped at him.

“If the shoe fits.”

“You know what, man? I'm sick and tired of your kamikaze trip.” Sam sat down on his bed and simply stared at his brother.

“Whoa, whoa, kamikaze? I'm more like a ninja.” Dean grinned and Sam shook his head.

“That's not funny.”

“It's a little funny.” Dean smiled and Sam just turned on the puppy eyes.

“No, it's not.”

“What do you want me to do, Sam, huh? Sit around all day writing sad poems about how I'm gonna die? You know what? I got one. Let's see, what rhymes with "shut up, Sam"?” Dean was starting to get annoyed but Sam was way past annoyed. Yes he actually wanted Dean in hell but he didn't want him suicidal!

“Dude, drop the attitude, Dean. Quit turning everything into a punch line. And you know something else? Stop trying to act like you're not afraid.” Sam argued tiredly.

“I'm not!” Dean shot back but Sam could see it in his eyes and it broke his heart.

“You're lying. You may as well drop it 'cause I can see right through you.” He whispered sadly and Dean turned away.

“You got no idea what you're talking about.” Dean told him.

“Yeah, I do. You're scared, Dean. You're scared because your year is running out, and you're still going to Hell, and you're freaked.” Sam stated and Dean turned back to him, eyes wide.

“And how do you know that?” he spat and Sam smiled.

“Because I know you!”

“Really?” Dean grumbled and Sam's smile widened, despite the tears he could feel threatening, if only he could tell Dean the truth.

“Yeah, I've been following you around my entire life! I mean, I've been looking up to you since I was four, Dean. Studying you, trying to be just like my big brother. So yeah, I know you. Better than anyone else in the entire world. And this is exactly how you act when you're terrified. And, I mean, I can't blame you. It's just...” He said instead and it was true enough, he'd just known Dean a lot longer than that.

“What?” Dean demanded, somewhat shocked.

“I wish you would drop the show and be my brother again. `Cause... just 'cause.” Sam answered softly and Dean's anger vanished.

“All right, we'll hole up, cover our scent so he can't track us, and wait the night out here.” Dean finally said softly, bumping Sam's knees when he walked past.
 
--------------------------------
“Sam!” Dean yelled as the door came down between them.

“Dean!” Sam yelled back and Dean could barely hear it.

“Damn it, Sam!” Dean grumbled angrily.

Sam pounded the door one last time in frustration, then turned and walked away from it, eyes darting around. Sure he could easily break it down and then he'd be facing a lot of awkward questions from Dean. No, better he is left alone to deal with Gordon. Maybe he should let the man know the truth before ending his existence? Then the lights decided to go out and Sam sighed, his eyes glowing softly as he adjusted to the darkness.

“Gordon... you got me where you want me. You might as well come out and fight!” he taunted, dropping his machete.
“I'm right here, Sam. What's the matter, Sammy?” The vampire answered from behind him and Sam smirked.
“So, this is really the way you want to do it, huh?” he asked lightly, keeping his back to Gordon so he wouldn't see his eyes, yet.

“Damn right I do. You have no idea what I faced to get here. I lost everything. My life. But it's worth it; 'cause I'm finally gonna kill the most dangerous thing I ever hunted. You're not human, Sam.” Gordon growled.

“Look who's talking.” Sam answered and he could feel Gordon's confusion over his lack of fear.

“You're right. I'm a bloodthirsty killer.” Gordon answered and Sam finally turned to face him.
 
“Yes, you are.” Sam answered and Gordon's eyes went wide.
“Want to know a secret? You're half right about me. And I'm still a better man than you.” Sam told him, letting Gordon see his true form and the vampire staggered away from him in fear.
“But you'll never get to tell anyone.” With a flick of his wrist Gordon's head fell from his neck then Sam drew his power back in, once again appearing completely human. He spun as he heard a gunshot and then ran for the controls for the steel door, hitting them and then sliding under as soon as it was open far enough.
“Dean!” He yelled and his brother appeared, Colt in hand.
“Are you okay?” Sam asked, searching for injuries.
 
“I'm fine, just got tossed into a wall. Gordon?”
 
“Dead.” Sam answered and Dean relaxed.
 
“Come on, we better get out of here.” Dean said and Sam quickly followed him.

-------------------------------------
Sam watched Dean sleep, something he was doing more and more often, it wasn't like he needed much sleep anymore and soon Dean wouldn't need any. He'd finally heard from Ruby and now all they had to do was meet up, easier said than done with Dean always sticking close now. The thing with Gordon had scared Dean, made him realise he was going to be leaving Sam vulnerable and alone soon. While sweet it was also a bit annoying. Their little ruin in with a pair of Pagan god's hadn't helped, especially when Sam had used his powers to untie himself and then lied about the knot being lose, he'd seen the suspicion in Dean's eyes. It hurt so much but would it get any better when Dean remembered who he truly was? It was Sam's fault this had been done to Dean in the first place, if he'd never approached him...but he hadn't been able to stay away then and he wouldn't be able to now. He only hoped Dean would listen and believe him when the time came.
 
-----------------------------------------
It was raining as they left the Dutton house but neither of them paid it much attention. Sam was focused on what he'd found plus the fact that Ruby was meant to meet with him in the next day or so.

“That dude seem a little evasive to you?” Dean asked as they headed for the car.

“I don't know I was under a sink, pulling this out.” Sam answered, taking the hex bag from out of his pocket. They stopped walking as Dean took it and opened it.
“Hex bag.”

“Awww gross.” Dean complained, staring down at it.

“Yeah, there are bird bones, rabbit's teeth. This cloth is probably cut from something Janet Dutton owned.” Sam said as he looked the contents over. Dean looked back at the house for a second before handing Sam the open bag and walking towards the Impala, Sam falling into step beside him.
 
“So we're thinking witch?” Dean asked and Sam nodded.

“Uh, yeah, and not some new age wicked water douser either. This is old world black magic Dean, I mean, warts and all.” Sam said, mind going to Ruby who had been a witch when human. Was this why she'd chosen the town to meet?
 
-------------------------------
“That's a curveball.” Dean stated as they stared at Amanda's body.

“Yeah.” Sam agreed, he could feel the lingering demonic magic in the air, whoever these witches were sworn too was in town. They approached the body and Dean lifted her arm with the barrel of his gun and then looked at the other one.

“Three per wrist, vertical. She wasn't foolin' around.” Dean commented, nose wrinkled at the heavy smell of blood that hung in the air. Sam put his gun back in the back of his jeans and bent to get a closer look at the scattered remains of her alter, hoping for a clue as to the demon's identity, there were several that dealt with witches,

“Yeah, looks like she was working some heavyweight evil here.” He commented, raising a sleeve to cover his nose as the smell got to even him.

“Yup.” Dean said, turning around and nearly running into the hanging body of a rabbit.
“Oh god! Freakin' witches! Seriously man, come on!” He yelled and Sam hid an amused smile.

“Guess we know where she got the rabbit's teeth from.”
“Well, Paul sure knows how to pick 'em huh? It's like Fatal Attraction all over again.” Dean grumbled.
“And why does the rabbit always get screwed in the deal?! The poor little guy.” Dean said, staring at the rabbit.

“You know what I don't get Dean? If she was so bent on revenge, why do this?” Sam said, needing someway for Dean to realise this wasn't suicide.

“Well, she got Janet Dutton, thought she finished off Paul, decided to cap herself and make it a spurned lovers hat-trick.” Dean suggested and Sam shrugged.

“Maybe.” Sam started looking under the table.

“I mean, this doesn't exactly look like the TV room of a bright and stable person you know?” Dean asked and Sam finally found what he was looking for.

“No, but then...” He pulled the hex bag out and tossed it to Dean.
“There's this.”

“Another hex bag? Come on!” Dean complained, opening the bag to find similar contents to the other one. He pulled his phone out.

“Looks like we got a hit huh? A little witch on witch violence?” Dean suggested.

“I guess.” Sam answered as Dean dialled his phone.

“I'd like to report a dead body, 309 Mayfair Circle. My name? Yeah, sure my name is” Dean clicked the phone off.
“Why are witches ganking each other?”

“I don't know, but I think maybe we got a coven on our hands.” Sam answered, lost in thought. Where was Ruby?
 
--------------------------------------
Sam left the room, feeling a flash of guilt for making sure Dean would stay asleep but this was important. He walked through the silent town, enjoying the peace until he reached the park and sat down beside an attractive blond.
 
“Hello Ruby, nice town you've brought us to.” He commented and Ruby smiled at him.
 
“Dean's distracted isn't he? Plus all the demonic power in the air helps hide my presence.” She answered and he nodded.
 
“Have you found anything yet?” He asked and her smile widened.
“I know where it is and it's not even well guarded.” She answered and Sam smiled, sagging in relief.
 
“About time, I'm getting fed up with this charade and Dean's getting suspicious.”
 
“And if he tries to kill you after?”
 
“He won't, he was so close Ruby. He'll listen.”
 
“I hope you're right my Prince.”
 
--------------------------------------------
“You must have a green thumb.” Sam commented as he stared down at the garden.

“Excuse me?” Elizabeth asked, looking up at them.

“Getting these herbs to grow out of season like this, quite impressive. I'm sorry; I should have introduced myself first.” Sam reached into his pocket and pulled out a badge.
“I'm uh, Detective Bachman, this is Detective Turner.” He said as Dean flashed his own badge.
“We're following up on Amanda Burns' death, going around the neighbourhood and talking to neighbours and stuff like that.” Sam explained.

“But didn't she- I mean she killed herself right?” Elizabeth asked nervously.

“Maybe, maybe.” Sam answered. She was a witch alright but not the demon he was looking for.

“We heard you were friends with the deceased right?” Dean asked and Elizabeth stood up to see them better.

“Yeah, I guess so.” She answered.

“Did you have any idea about her practices?” Dean asked and she looked at them in confusion and fear.

“I'm sorry, what kind of practices?” She asked, voice hitching a little.

“Well see, her house was littered with satanic paraphernalia.” Sam explained and Elizabeth paled.

“A regular Black Sabbath.” Dean added.

“No, the- but she was an Episcopalian.” Elizabeth told them

“Well, then we're pretty sure she was using the wrong bible.” Dean stated. Sam tensed as he felt another witch and a demon walk towards them.
“Elizabeth, you alright?” The witch asked.

“I'm fine uh Renee, these are detectives. They say Amanda was- she was practicing- “ Elizabeth tried to explain.

“I'm sorry detectives; you can tell that Elizabeth is a little bit upset.” Renee said.

“Of course, Miss.?” Dean asked.

“Mrs. Renee Van Allen. Would you like me to spell it for you?”

“I'll get by, thanks.” Dean answered, not noticing Sam staring at the demon.

“This Amanda business has been hard for Liz, for all of us.” Renee continued.

“Yeah, I mean, you think you know a person.” The demon finally spoke.
 
“Well, I guess we all have secrets don't we?” Dean asked as Sam moved closer to him.

“Well, thanks, um, we'll be in touch.” Sam stated and Dean looked at him before turning back to the women.

“Have a nice day.” Dean said as they turned away.

“Bye.” The demon responded and Sam suppressed a flash of apprehension. She was going to try something, she couldn't hurt him, but Dean was vulnerable.
 
------------------------------------------
“So you think those three are the rest of the coven?” Dean asked as he washed his face.
 
“Makes sense, they've all had a string of too good luck recently.” Sam explained from where he was sitting in front of the laptop.
 
“I really hate witches.” Dean grumbled and Sam smiled.
 
“Could be worse.”
 
“And now you've jinxed us, great going Sammy.” Dean joked and Sam laughed. Dean sat down on the edge of his bed to watch Sam research. Dean liked watching Sam these days, storing up good memories for his trip below and praying he'd be able to hold onto them forever. He shifted slightly, feeling a little uncomfortable.
“So what's next? Should we just bust in, get more evidence, what?” Dean asked, ignoring the feeling.
 
“We're pretty sure but not positive and it'd be really bad to kill an innocent person.” Sam answered and Dean smiled but then it turned to a grimace. He leant forward slightly, grasping his stomach.
 
“Ah!” He cried out and Sam was instantly at his side.
 
“What's wrong?” Sam asked, looking him over.
 
“I don't know. Oh- Sam something's wrong- bunch of knives inside of me-“ Dean groaned, leaning further forward, his head almost between his knees.

“Dean.” Sam called, kneeling in front of him and reaching out to steady Dean.

“Son of a bitch-“ Dean groaned.

“Dean, hey.” He tried to get his attention.

“The coven man, it's gotta be the coven.” Dean moaned and then a little bit of blood appeared on his lips.

“Don't worry.” Sam stated and then rushed into the bathroom, opening the cupboards below the sink, looking for the hex bag as Dean groaned in pain and laid back on the bed, his face still twisted in pain. Sam pulled things out of the cupboard throwing them aside. Dean leant forward again, falling to his knees in front of the foot of the bed, spitting out blood, choking and sputtering. Sam was still looking for the hex bag, in another cupboard pulling out pillows and when he found nothing, he moved to the bed while Dean was still choking on blood and spitting it out of his mouth. Sam pulled off the covers to the bed; tearing back the sheets and slicing the mattress open with his knife and still could not find the hex bag.
`Ruby!' He screamed mentally for her help. He tried summoning the hex bag but nothing happened, he really, really hated witches, especially the demons backing them. He grabbed Dean and pulled him up onto the bed, wrapping an arm around his waist and placing his other hand palm down on Dean's chest.
 
Dean looked up at Sam as the pain eased only to begin fighting Sam's hold as he saw the glow in Sam's eyes. He felt his heart break as he realised Yellow Eyes had been right, Sam hadn't come back right.
 
“Dean no, it's okay.” Sam whispered sadly, rubbing Dean's chest with the hand he was using to disrupt the spell.
 
“Ge....get off me!” Dean choked out, still fighting but Sam wasn't moving.
 
“Dean look at me, please.” Sam pleaded and Dean couldn't resist that tone, looking up at Sam and his glowing eyes, fear filling his own. But Sam's face was gentle and kind, despite his eyes.
“It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you Dean.” Sam whispered and then looked up as the door slammed open.
“Ruby, about time.” He snapped as she rushed over, lifting up a bag that smelled utterly foul.
 
“Hold him, he's not going to like this.” She answered and Sam adjusted his grip on Dean, lowering his face besides Dean's.
 
“It's alright, we're gonna to fix you up and break the spell Dean.” He whispered, rubbing the back of Dean's neck soothingly.
“Open your mouth Dean and you have to swallow, no matter how bad it tastes.” Sam told him and Dean rolled his eyes to see Sam, green eyes filled with fear.
“Dean please, trust me.” Sam begged and Dean slowly opened his mouth. He gagged and choked as Ruby squirted a black, foul liquid into his mouth. He gasped for air and then slowly relaxed as the pain stopped. He lay in Sam's arms, panting and trying to get his bearings.
 
“He'll be fine now.” Ruby stated and Dean looked at the blond suspiciously.
 
“Thanks.” Sam said and she nodded. Dean looked between them and swallowed nervously.
 
“C...Cristo.” He spat out past the taste in his mouth and the blond recoiled, her eyes inky black and she snarled at him. He felt Sam's arms tighten around him protectively and Sam snarled back at her, making her drop her head. Dean briefly tried to struggle again and then froze as Sam dropped a soft kiss on the top of his head.
 
“She won't hurt you Dean, just relax.” Sam soothed and Dean found himself doing as Sam asked, bring a hand up to clutch at Sam's arm.
 
“Sam.” He whispered and Sam rolled them on the bed, leaning down over Dean. Sam smiled softly at him, gently running a hand over Dean's hair.
 
“I've got to finish this Dean, Ruby will stay with you to protect you.” Sam told him and Dean looked over at her. Ruby smiled and waved.
 
“Sam what's going on? She's a demon.” Dean said and Sam smiled.
 
“I know and I promise, I'll explain everything when I get back, I have to take care of the coven and then get something, something that'll help you. Okay? I'll be back in a while.” Sam sat up and Dean watched him. Sam slipped into the bathroom first and came back with a glass of water for Dean who gratefully used it to get the taste of blood and whatever that other liquid had been. He watched as Sam and Ruby talked softly for a while before Sam grabbed his bag, stuffing the Colt and a few other things into it.
 
“Are you really Sam?” Dean asked as Sam opened the door to leave. Sam turned back to him and smiled softly.
 
“It's me Dean, I promise, everything will make sense soon.” With that Sam was gone.
---------------------------------------
Sam kicked open the door, ignoring the screams as he focused on Tammi, or the demon wearing her skin. He stared at her, his eyes glowing again and slowly, pitch black wings unfurled from his back. Tammi gasped and staggered away.
 
“My Prince.” She whispered reverently.
 
“You tried to kill Dean.” He stated flatly and her black eyes went wide.
 
“Forgive me, I didn't know.” She tried but Sam raised his hand and Tammi's body jerked.
“Please.” She choked and then in a flash of black light the demon was destroyed. The other two witches screamed in fear, backing away from him. He stared at them and then vanished, reappearing half way round the world.
 
Sam stared at the entrance Ruby had found before walking inside, disarming the traps she had warned him about. Apparently she hadn't found out about them all and by the time he fought his way through he was a little worse for wear, he jacket even smoking slightly as he stood before the vault. He could feel the familiar power coming from it and smiled softly. He was almost there. It took quite a while but finally the vault was open and sitting on the shelf was a beautiful shining vial of pure light. Sam reached towards it.
 
“I will not let you take it.”
 
TBC...