Tales Of Syphona Fan Fiction ❯ Hidden ❯ Discovery? ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Tales of Symphonia as sad as that is.
 
 
Authors note: Sorry it took so long. School has really gotten in the way. I'll try to get chapter 5 up sooner but I can't make any promises. >_< Also I tried taking peoples advice in my writing and I have Microsoft Word now so my spelling and grammar shouldn't be so bad anymore. Anyway, on with the story!
 
Chapter 4
 
I groaned as I began to wake up. Nuzzling into my pillow, I heard a sudden thump in the living room. My eyes snapped open and my head rose slightly, my body tensed up.
 
Who…? Oh yeah… Yuan. Last night's events rushed back into my head. I groaned again and buried my face into my pillow. It's not like I don't like Yuan. It's just everything we've been through. Being close friends, to enemies to being on the same side again. I don't know if I could call him a friend anymore, we don't really keep in touch other then fighting the Desians. And most of all was how Yuan was acting yesterday. It made me a bit uncomfortable. All this made it feel a little weird to think he'd be living with me. And to top it off someone was after Yuan. Somehow I knew Yuan would drag me into all of this mess. Hell he was already starting to.
 
I sighed and decided to get up. Shivering slightly as I left the warmth of my bed. I entered the living room to see Yuan was no where in sight. Noticing the blanket he was using last night was neatly folded and draped over the couch.
 
Suddenly hearing faint sounds coming from the kitchen I walked in to see Yuan cooking. He was wearing an apron and everything. I blinked a few times it see I wasn't just seeing things. The great Yuan cooking was a truly amazing and odd sight.
 
He glanced over his shoulder at me, “Good morning.”
 
“You know… I agreed to let you stay here… Not become my house wife.”
He glared at my sarcastic remark.
 
“Ha-ha. Very funny.“ He flipped one of the pancakes; it made a loud hissing sound. “You were still sleeping when I woke up so I thought I'd make breakfast.”
 
“So you went through my kitchen without my permission?” My eyebrow rose slightly.
 
“I did it so you could sleep in then wake up to a nice meal, you ungrateful bastard,” he growled.
 
Grunting, I suppose he was right. I didn't need to make breakfast, which was good. It also smelled delicious. And Yuan looked really cute in an apron.
 
 
That thought did not just cross my mind. There must be some kind of fumes in the air. Either that or I'm going crazy. And after living for over 4,000 years could defiantly be a possibility.
 
My thoughts were snapped back to reality as Yuan placed a plateful of eggs, bacon and syrup covered pancakes in front of me. It looked as good as it smelled. Yuan sat himself next to me with an identical plate full of food. I looked up and stared at him. “Where's my drink?”
 
He gave me his `You've got to be kidding' look. “Oh of course you're Highness! How could I have forgotten? Please forgive your foolish servant!” His dramatic voice made me unable to stop myself from rolling my eyes.
 
“You're forgiven.” My tone dripped with sarcasm.
 
He `hmphed' and got up looking through some of the cabinets. “Last one on the left.” He nodded and took two cups out, placing them on the table. He opened the fridge and peered in to see the selection.
 
“Orange juice or milk?”
 
“Orange juice,” I shrugged.
 
He pulled a carton of orange juice out along with milk. Pouring a glass for me and him. Yuan slid the orange juice towards me, while taking a sip of his milk. After putting both cartons away he sat back down. Alright, I was able to eat now. I cut into my pancakes and took a bite. It was far better then I thought. I savored the taste in my mouth, rolling the food around my tongue. Unable to hold back a moan as my eyes fluttered close.
 
“Good, isn't it?”
 
My eyes snapped open to see Yuan smirking at me.
 
Silently cursing at myself for acting that way, I scowled and shrugged. “It's okay.” Yuan's smirk only widened. My attempt to save some of my dignity failed miserably.
 
Deciding to change the subject I looked at him seriously. “So what are you going to do? Last night you said you'd figure out who attacked you. Well how exactly are you going to do that?” I already knew the answer but decided to ask anyway.
 
He took a bite of his eggs, “well I figured we can go back to my base to see if there are some clues. Then—“
 
He was cut off when I almost choked on my pancakes. “Wait… *cough* did you just say `we'? *cough*” I managed after coughing for a few minutes.
 
“Well… Maybe.”
 
“No. There is no `we' there is you. You're living here, that's it. I have no other part in this.” Scowling at him while taking another bite of pancakes.
 
“But… You want me out of here right? Then I'll be gone faster if you help me. Besides, the sooner I'm gone the sooner the people of Luin are safe.' He took a sip of his milk.
 
He was right about that. These people are in danger as long as Yuan's around. Sighing, I finished my pancakes and moved to my eggs. “Fine, I'll help.” He smirked slightly.
 
Yeah, Yuan's defiantly acting strange.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We landed in front of the renegade Base. Or at least what was left of it anyway. It was completely reduced to rubble. Whoever did this certainly didn't want anyone to try to repair and use any of its technology. Yuan swept his gaze over the remainder of the base, his base. I could see a faint twinge of sorrow and regret in his eyes. It must be hard to see what his base has become. That sorrow and regret soon turning into anger.
 
“Well shall we get started?” He made his way to the rubble. I nodded and followed him.
 
After moving debris, pushing boulders, digging through dust and dirt, and almost being crushed to death half a dozen times all afternoon I was growing tired and rather annoyed. As much as it would be nice to get Yuan out of my house, this just wasn't worth it. We didn't even know what we were looking for. For all we know we could have over looked the very thing we are searching for. The thought of that made my body ache even more.
 
“How about a break?” Yuan grunted as he shoved another small boulder out of his way. Yuan seemed to be just as exhausted as I was. Nodding, I sat down on a large rock. Yuan seated himself on the boulder he had just moved. We sat in silence for a while, enjoying resting our weary bodies, till a thought came to mind.
 
“What if it was the Desians that attacked you?” That made sense; I don't see why I didn't think of it before.
 
“You think so? I didn't think there was that large of a group of Desians left. And so organized too…” Yuan pushed some dirt with his foot as he thought about it. He was right about that. Without a leader they shouldn't have been so successful with the invasion. Another few moments passed in silence. Yuan broke it this time.
 
“Why do you think Desians are still around?” he paused, “I mean… It's not that shocking that some couldn't get use to the idea of the new world after Cruxis fell. I suspected some to revolt and go on there own. But it's been a year since then. We've silenced any growing Desian activity. There shouldn't be any Desians left.” He looked troubled by what this could mean. The thought never really crossed my mind. But it was a little strange that there were still Desians around. The more I thought about it the more it troubled me as well.
 
Finally I mentioned what we both feared. “Maybe someone's leading the Desians. Like… Undercover or something.”
 
It was silent for a while before Yuan answered. “It's possible. But why would they be undercover? Why would they continue to have those small Desian revolts after they've failed so many times? It doesn't make any sense.”
 
“Either they're a real moron or a genius.”
 
Yuan stood, “I'm going to continue looking.” He walked back to the debris and started searching again. I got up and continued as well. What if we were right? What if someone really was leading the Desians? We might have another Cruxis on our hands. Although what surprised me the most was that no one ever questioned the Desians till now. That in itself was a little troubling.
 
“Kratos! Come look at this!” Yuan yelled, snapping me out of my brooding thoughts. I quickly made my way towards him.
 
“What? What is it?”
 
He pointed at something on the ground. I looked down and saw a helmet. It was cracked, covered in dirt and part of it was missing. “That's not a Desian helmet,” Yuan gravely stated.
 
“What? But it looks just like a Desian helmet.” I lifted an eyebrow in confusion.
 
“Look,” Yuan knelt down, “there's a design on it. That's no Desian symbol.” He said pointing at a small design on the side of the helmet. It was covered in dirt and hard to make out but Yuan was right.
 
“You don't think… The `Desians' are actually not Desians at all… That they're just pretending to be? Like the Renegades did.” Yuan quietly mumbled.
 
“Shit,” I muttered.
 
Damn it. What has Yuan gotten me in to?
 
 
 
Authors Note: In my opinion I think Kratos would have put a little bit more of a fight up with Yuan in helping him out. But I kind of suck at arguing scenes so he didn't. ^^;;