Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ /The Chronicles of Pain: Doon's Story/ ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author’s Note: Hey everyone! First of all, this is a Titans story. Although some chapters will be about the character I’ve created (who has a big part), this is a Titans story, and they will be included in all but a few chapters. I might not get all info for this story matched up perfectly with the T.V. show, but oh well! Ok, next point. You guys know how the happy little T.V. show has a zap them then put them in jail theme? This story will include blood and death. You have been warned. Now I’m not talking about spewing horror-movie gore, but it isn’t going to be a cartoon. Well, if I’ve left something out, I’ll say it in later chapters. So now its time to Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I don’t own Teen Titans or any of it’s characters. I do own my characters, though.   ~Chapter 1~ “Enter the Titans”  

It was a dark, rainy night in Jump City. The Titans had just heard the alarm go off and were rushing to the crime scene. Robin was suspended in the air with Starfire holding him up. Cyborg was being carried by Beast Boy who had morphed into pterodactyl form, and Raven was flying by means of her own mind. They had recently received a mechanical briefing that had only told them the suspect’s location and that they were creating quite a mess of Jump City Park.

Now the Titans had just formed together a month ago, and the Titan Tower was brand new. They were all familiar with the city though, they had to, they were the heroes. They had been training hard and trying to form a sense of trust and teamwork between them. So far, it looked like Robin was the most advanced in his skills and Raven coming in second. The rest of them were sort of rookies. As they approached downtown, Robin yelled to the Titans to get ready. They didn’t know how to get physically ready in midair, so they began to collect the best focus they could muster.

They were thrown out of this newly found calm when a huge chunk of building was hurled at them. It was headed strait for Starfire and Robin. They swerved to the right at the last moment, making it crash into the ground and them crash into a nearby apartment complex. They were assisted by their comrades after they had landed harshly into the grass below.

“Some heroes we are…” replied Starfire.

“You took a hit. There’s going to be a lot more of that if you plan to be a hero.” commented Robin as he dusted himself off and stood up. He helped up Starfire and went ahead, surveying the street.

“Yes, you are right friend Robin.” Starfire said, now reassured.

And just like that their spirits were up and they were ready for a fight, Robin can do that to you. They ran the rest of the distance to the part of town that was being terrorized by this unknown culprit. Once they were there, they saw the people screaming and running, the playground torn apart, the benches thrown askew, and the massive monster they would be facing.

Ultar was his name, although the Titans had no clue about this guy quite yet. He was about nine foot two, 650 lbs., and at least 500 of that great mass was pure beefy muscle. He was blue in color, almost a navy. He was trained in many combat techniques, and could certainly use his weight to his advantage. Despite the picture that might pop into your head, this particular villain was quite handsome. How you ask? His father was a good looking human, his mother a Fogtart-Uglarian-Glort from Sector 5436-90. She’s where the height, muscle, and blue came from.

But enough about our navy friend, back to the fight. The Titans fell into an impressive “we’re going to kick your butt” formation, but would it pay off? I guess not, because as soon as our well known heroes fell into this pattern, they were bombarded by chunks of bench, playground, and ground. This guy meant business.

They were all hit by something, but they quickly recovered. They now knew what to expect, so they grouped together again for a hit on him. They went into another formation and Robin nodded to his teammates. The next sound made was Robin yelling out those two famous, battle-initiating words, “Titans, GO!”.

Remember, the Titans only recently joined together, so they didn’t exactly know how to function as a team yet. The other four stood and watched from their positions on the ground looking stupid as Robin leaped into action, throwing his bird-a-rang and a bomb at the giant. They both hit their target, slightly off, but they still made him stumble backwards. The other Titans were now demonstrating their own powers on this blue monster.

Starfire flew high above Ultar and shot a few green energy bolts. Beast Boy morphed into a gorilla and ran toward the bad guy. He pounded him further with his big, furry, green fists. Cyborg shot him with his cannon. Finally, Raven levitated a street pole at him. Unfortunately, the monster was too quick for their attacks.

He quickly dodged the star bolts and returned a punch strait at poor Star. Beast Boy also received a hit and went flying into another building. Cyborg’s shot was deflected with the UFO sign for Space Place, a local kids play place. It was thrown right back at him and he flew backwards along with the kiddy sign. Raven’s pole was caught and chucked right back at her. Man, this guy was fast!

So where’s Robin? He was studying the fight tactics of this monster and planning an attack. He finally saw an opportunity when Ultar bent his head back in a victory yell. He had forgotten all about the fifth, and perhaps most talented Titan, a grave mistake. Robin jumped into the air off the building he had been perched on. He landed on the navy blue villain’s head and stuck an explosive right onto his skull. He back-flipped off Ultar’s head and scooped up Raven who had landed dangerously close to the monster and might have gotten further hurt.

He set her down the street far enough and went back for Beast Boy. Then for Cyborg. Finally, and furthest away, was Starfire who was sprawled out in the middle of the street. He made a wild dash for her, mere seconds were left in the 30 second countdown. Ultar had forgotten all about the Titans and was trying wildly to disattach the bomb that was specially designed to dig into the enemy’s skin.

Robin was sprinting as fast as he could, three seconds left, he wasn’t going to make it… BOOM!!!! The bomb went off with an enormous explosion, vanquishing Ultar. As the dust finally cleared, Robin could be seen holding Starfire in a desperate attempt to shield her body from the explosion, they were both alive and well. Robin opened his masked eyes and picked up Starfire, he was amazed, but he wanted to get them out of the smoke. He tried to move, but he wasn’t able to move more than a foot. He was held back by some invisible force field. He tried to put his hand forward, but it too was blocked. He looked around, trying to find some explanation. When he went to try again, he was let through with Starfire in his arms. He went over to the other Titans who were coming to. He quickly dismissed the force-field mystery from his mind as he set Starfire down. Raven was stirring awake, as was Beast Boy.

“Whoa, what happened?” Beast Boy asked.

Robin looked at him and answered.

“You were knocked unconscious, all of you, he’s gone.”

Raven remained quiet, as if disappointed in herself for being hit down so easily. Cyborg awakened, shortly followed by Starfire.

They all rubbed their heads.

“That was quite a fast guy for his size.” Cyborg said.

“I agree friend.” Starfire seconded.

“Where is he now?” she questioned.

“Dead.” Robin answered as he stood up.

Everyone felt shocked at the tone he said this in. Almost like it was so normal to him, but it was so distant to everyone else.

He turned away to look at the fire. He turned back to the team after a little while.

“Come on guys, lets get back.”

They all nodded. They got up and went back to the Tower, reflecting on the day’s events.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As they we all going to bed, Robin pulled Raven aside.

“Listen Raven, can I ask you something?” he questioned.

She looked up from he book to nod at him.

“Sure.”

He looked down at the ground for a moment, almost looking as if he was trying to confirm something.

“Do you know anything about force fields? Can you sense when they’re near?”

“Yes, why?”

“Well, I think someone put up a force field around us to protect us. The thing that’s bugging me is the fact I don’t know who. Could you feel anything?”

She looked at him, a hard expression on her face.

“I don’t remember much Robin. I couldn’t feel anything though , maybe you were just imagining it.”

“Yeah, maybe…well, goodnight Raven.”

“Goodnight.” She responded.

And with that they both went to bed.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

The next morning they awoke to the alarm screaming. It was another villain terrorizing town, this time, the crime was taking place in downtown Jump City. All the Titans got into their uniforms and rushed to get there in time.

Downtown was a complete and utter mess. Their were buildings on fire, cars and streets dismantled, people running and screaming. This time the culprit’s name, or rather prototype, was 26-5 XF. It was a good-sized robot made of 100% cold, hard steel. No heart, no common sense, no instinct. Only a program and agenda to follow.

The Titans arrived upon this complete and utter chaos just as the XF was shooting innocent people with his gun. There were a few scattered bodies of people who had not been quick enough to get away from this metal monstrosity’s line of fire. Most of the people were still trying to escape from the area and were being shot down.

Robin was quick to align them and give his team commands.

“Starfire and Beast Boy, I want you to fly above this thing and serve as a distraction, fire at it with everything you’ve got.” They hesitated, then took off into the sky as Robin gave more instructions.

“Raven, I want you to try to disassemble it, we’ll have a better chance at bringing it down.” She took off immediately and levitated street lights, building chunks, benches, and poles in its direction.

“That leaves you and me Cyborg. I want you to fire at the back of its head. That’ll reveal it‘s main power source. I‘ll slap a bomb on it and we’ll get out of here.”

He nodded at Robin and took off to find a way onto its head. Robin focused on saving the people. He shielded people and told them to run off the street. He escorted them onto the next street and told them to go home. He could still hear screams and the rain of bullets on the pavement. For the first time, he wondered what this monster’s mission was. That thought was quickly dismissed as he heard shrieks and shouts ring into the air again.

He sprinted back and caught a glimpse of Starfire and Beast Boy attacking the XF as it tried to swat them away and kill innocent civilians. Cyborg was trying to board its head, but it was writhing and turning and twisting shockingly fast. Raven was firing off all kinds of matter at it, trying carefully not to hit her teammates, a very hard task.

He spotted a man trying to shield his wife and son from the reigning bullets. He himself was shot full of hot metal in his noble attempts. His wife was screaming and his young son was crying as they watched in horror as his body slumped motionless to the pavement. The mother now tried to escape the bullets with her son protectively in her arms.

“Hold on, I’m coming!” Robin yelled.

He reached them just in time and shoved them out of the path of bullets, but he didn’t escape them himself. He should’ve been shot with at least twenty bullets, but he found them laying on the ground before him. He only had time to be amazed for a second as he remembered the two civilians. He ushered them onto Third

Street which was connected to Main, which was currently housing a battle. They were safely shielded by a building now.

“Go home, we’ll take care of the robot.”

She still had that empty look engraved into her features.

“My husband, please save his body…”

He nodded. As he went to take off she grabbed his shoulder. She had snapped out of her trance and had a terrified look on her face.

“My daughter! Oh God, my little daughter! She’s still there, we got separated, please save her!”

“I promise. Go to your house, I‘ll bring her.”

“We live on Grint Street! Thank you, bless you!”

He took off, listening to her as he went. Little did he know he had just walked into a trap set by the biggest enemy he‘ll ever have the distinct horror of facing. But that’s later. Back to the battle. The Titans were still unsuccessful in their attempts to disassemble the robot and take it down.

Robin came back to find that his team had become exhausted from their futile attacks. Robin decided the best course of action is to stop their attacks and assemble. He pressed the button on his belt that made the lights on everyone beep, signaling to reassemble. They all abruptly stopped, avoided the attacks, and met Robin around the corner.

“ Raven, put up a force field just to be safe.”

She did as she was instructed.

“Starfire, I want you to shoot at its legs, try to bring it down. Beast Boy, do the same.”

They rushed off out of the force field and attacked its legs.

“Cyborg, you try to blind it. Raven, help him.” Robin glanced briefly at the XF, as if planning his own route of attack. “I’m going to strap a bomb on it.”

Raven broke the force field and the three set off. Cyborg blasted at its face, but, alas, was unsuccessful due to the metal monster’s thrashing. Raven levitated poles and other matter at its head. They hit their target right on, but small dents were the result.

Starfire and BB were also failing drastically. The robot was still raining down attacks. Starfire wasn’t fast enough to dodge a lighting beam and was hit hard. Cyborg was struck by the robots flailing arms, and Beast

Boy was nearly crushed by its 2 ton legs.

Raven kept her composure and managed to ram a pole into its left “eye”. It wheeled backward, but was back in mere seconds. Raven tried again, but it anticipated her attack. She was thrown into the pavement below, leaving BB to take out the other eye. He morphed into a hawk and flew high, then swooped in for an attack. He hit dead on, being too small for the giant robot to stop in time.

Beast Boy touched back down and changed back into human, if you could call it that, form. The rest of the team was weakly rising to their feet. Their attention was caught by a glimmer above on the rooftop. It was Robin’s bird-a-rang shining in the early sunlight. Robin was sprinting and jumping from roof to roof in an attempt to reach the place where the giant robot’s head was located.

He reached his destination shortly and made a vault with his pole. The top Titan landed on the side of the robot’s slippery metal head. He quickly took out his bird-a-rang and dug it into the side of the machine’s head. He, with the help of the bird-a-rang, climbed his way up its head until he was next to the latch on the monster’s “skull” which would allow him access into its “brain”. He used the bird-a-rang to grip onto it and violently rip it open.

Meanwhile, the Titans were watching stupidly as Robin did all the work, the robot was slashing and bashing air, and a cloaked figure was running on the rooftops. Robin was struggling to hold on, dismantle it, and avoid being killed. Raven was contemplating a strategy and decided to try a risky move, hold back its arms. She wasn’t sure if she was powerful enough yet, but she had to help Robin, and she was the only one who could help from a distance. Star-bolts and energy rays are useless in this situation. She thought.

She spread her legs a little and concentrated her strength and power to her mind. She held out her arms so she could channel energy through them. She fired. A black stream of energy flowed out of her and the other three Titans backed up, being startled by her sudden attack. She focused her energy onto the arm that was swatting at its head, attempting to hold it back.

She finally contained it, but it was surprisingly hard. She was holding it perfectly still, which took a lot of effort. She could still feel the other arm flailing and wished she could hold them both back. She could feel Robin moving about on the robots head too. All these things made it hard as hell to focus and concentrate. But suddenly she didn’t feel the arm swinging. All motion had stopped. She momentarily broke the connection, but very quickly refocused.

She heard the mechanical clicks of Robin driving his bird-a-rang into the robot’s mainframe. Sure enough, in a few moments, there was a sound like a machine dying and that’s exactly what it was. She felt the struggle against her powers cease and she let go and fell to the ground.

Robin jumped down and rejoined the Titans who were currently crouching over Raven‘s…levitating body? He was panting and suddenly looked extremely concerned for Raven. He lightly pushed aside BB and went to inspect her.

“No outside wounds. It must be something with her powers.”

They suddenly gasped as she was surrounded with a blue shimmering around her body. She opened her eyes and the blue light disappeared. She looked at their amazed looks and answered them.

“My powers allow me to heal myself.”

They nodded in understanding. Suddenly Raven remembered the strange happenings of the battle.

“Something weird happened while I was holding the arm back.”

“What Raven?”

“Well, I’m not powerful enough to hold two things at once…”

“Whoa, you mean, that second one wasn’t you?”

She shook her head.

“No, and that’s what is bothering me. Robin, do you think it was the same person you thought put the force fields around us?”

The other three Titans looked to Robin in question.

“What force field Robin?” Starfire asked.

“When the bomb went off, Raven was unconscious and she can’t form two force fields at one time. It had to be someone else. I want to know who.”

They all took a moment to take this in. After a while, Robin spoke.

“When I rescued a family, the husband died. She wants his body brought to them for a proper burial. She also said she had a daughter still here. Split up and look for her. If you come across the body, bring it back with you.”

With that they split up and began the search for the little girl.

================================================================== ==========

Raven went onto Capital Street. She searched through the rubble, but no little girl. Cyborg traveled to York Street and searched in the alleys found there, but alas, also no little girl was found. Beast Boy took the southern route and went onto Hamilton. He even went so far as to look in some of the shops, but to no avail. Starfire searched Carson Street. No little girl there. Finally, Robin was the one to find her. He walked on to Grove Street and saw a little girl, about four, who was sucking on her thumb with a blanket in her hand. She had a cold, expressionless look on her face. He approached her at a slow pace as to not scare her.

“Hi, my name’s Robin. Your mommy asked me to return you to her.”

She didn’t move her eyes or so much as blink. She stayed there, looking as if she were staring at something that made her terrified beyond her worst nightmares.

“Come on, let’s go to back to your house.”

He took her hand and turned around. He started to walk forwards, but she stayed still. She fell forward and landed with a thump on the ground. He dropped her hand. He stared at her and noticed she didn’t cry or even move a muscle. She was still in the same position she was when her found her.

“What the… a note?”

There was indeed a note on this…thing’s back. It was taped on and he ripped it off. As he started to read it he spoke questions about the woman and son.

Dear Robin,

I see you’ve found my little trinket. She used to be real, until I killed her and that father of hers and froze her body. Quite rude of me really. Have you enjoyed the fight against my pawns? Did they provide enough of a challenge to lure you into my trap? Your probably wondering who I am, what I intend, blah, blah, blah… but that will come later. Rest assured masked hero, we will meet someday. I would well prepare your little goons in the mean time, judging by the fights I’ve witnessed. But enough about the mysterious future. Speaking of the future, yours will be looking extremely bleak if you don’t run in, oh, about 3,2,1...

Robin now heard a beeping and had enough experience with that sound to run like hell. He sprinted away from the petrified girl and launched himself into the air just as the bomb exploded. He was blown far into a tree about 50 feet away. It knocked him unconscious and he lay there on the ground for quite some time before the rest of the team could navigate through the smoke and fire surrounding him.

They found him covered by an invisible force field, much like the ones witnessed earlier today and late last night. They tried to break the force field, but it held steady. Finally it gave and Starfire rushed to his side while the other Titans crouched down by him. They didn’t know anything else to do but take him back to the Tower.

***************************************************************** *************************

They lay Robin down in the infirmary bed and waited anxiously for him to awaken. He stirred a bit and they all stood up. Starfire held his hand and helped him to sit up a bit.

“Another force field, and a note…” he mumbled.

“What note Robin?” BB asked.

He looked up and seemed to acknowledge his teammates for the first time since his awakening.

“I found the little girl, but she was dead and frozen, she had a note on her. I read it, and there was a bomb…I don’t remember the rest…”

He pulled a crumpled note out of his uniform pocket and gave it to Starfire. He plopped back down in the bed and went to sleep.

“Come on guys, he needs his rest.” Cyborg said.

The rest of the Titans nodded and went into the living room to look at this strange note.

------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------------------------

Rave n had read it out loud at least ten times now. None of the heroes in the living room could make any sense of it. They each read it silently and tried to remember any villains this could fit. Since they were brand new to this hero-thing, they hadn’t fought many villains yet.

Robin walked into the room. They all turned their attention towards him.

“Have you all read it?”

They nodded their heads.

“Anyone make any sense of it?”

They shook their heads.

“That’s what I was afraid of.”

They all sat in silence for a few minutes until Robin spoke.

“Well team, we’ve fought and have been faced with a bunch of trials today. I think we should all think about the mysterious force-field caster and the note tonight. But other than that, let’s get some sleep. We’re going to need it to train tomorrow.”

They all hesitantly took turns in the bathroom getting ready for bed and one by one they went to bed. All except for Robin. Like the crazy work-a-holic we all know him to be, he was pacing the room back and forth. He had just created a bulletin board to record all important things in the crime world. His first addition was the note. The second was a drawing of the figure’s silhouette.

He finally tired himself enough to the point where he had to lay down. He slowly drifted off to sleep, wondering why this mystery person had helped him.

################################################################### ##################

Author’s Note: Well that’s the first chapter. I know the end was dull and probably doesn’t have you captivated, but believe me, this story will get juicier. Read and Review Please!!!!!