Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Musical: Some things Never Change ❯ Not who you think ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER SEVEN
 
The next morning Garfield was up bright and early, and finished through his Vegetarian Breakfast of Eggs and Tofu. He got on his new school uniform. White shirt, necktie, and blue pants. “Hmm… not bad.” he said to himself.
 
Then he picked up his Book-briefcase and was off for his very first day of school. However… the school was about six blocks away and he didn't have a ride, but he didn't need one either.
 
It was such a beautiful day, perfect for running… and Garfield was one fast runner on two feet. He also had great gymnast skills, and was able to leap over high gates and dumpsters. Though he didn't know how and why.
 
Actually… what happened was. Von-Richter's Machine didn't quite suck EVERYTHING out of the young boy. True he couldn't morph into animals anymore, but a bit of DNA still remained within him.
 
In other words… he was able to do lots of things that other animals could do. Like run fast, jump high. Lots of things… but he didn't realize that.
 
He made it to the Gotham High-school with about five minutes to spare. He also had his map and schedule with him, of what classes he was to attend. Eight each a day.
 
And after school, he was planning to look for a part-time job to help him earn money and make a living. Only he hadn't any idea of which to choose yet.
 
“Well… here goes.” he said under his breath, and he walked through the gates and into the front yard. There were lots of teenagers everywhere. Some boys flirting with girls… others just sitting in groups.
 
Sadly, Garfield couldn't see many students studying at all. This began to make him feel like maybe things weren't going to be like he expected.
 
The First bell rang and it was time to head in.
 
There were about A-hundred different rooms at the school. Including a gymnasium, Green-House, Auto shop, cooking kitchens and more.
 
Garfield found his locker, and began putting away some of the books he wouldn't need right away. As soon as he shut his locker and turned to walk up the hall… his book bag was shoved out of his hands, by a bully, and his books and pencils went everywhere.
 
People immediately began to laugh at him, but Garfield just calmly gathered up his things and continued on his route.
 
The bully, who was also one of the two dudes who beat him up as Beast Boy at the café, also took a good look at Garfield's face. “I think I know that kid from somewhere.” He muttered.
 
The final bell rang and Garfield already found his first class, which was Math. Only he didn't take a seat just yet as he was told by his teacher to wait a moment.
 
As he walked through the door, he accidentally bumped into a girl… it was Terra, though he didn't recognize her at all.
 
They dropped their books, and both bent down to pick them up. “I'm… really sorry about that.” said the girl. Then her eyes met his, and her mind matched the young man's face to Beast Boys.
 
The young man handed the girl her books. “No… I'm sorry.” he said politely. He then left to take his place on the side of the room.
 
Terra took her seat with that look in her eyes. “What's HE doing here?” she thought to herself. “And what happened to his skin? Whatever he's up to, I won't let him do it.”
 
The class settled as the teacher came in. “Okay gang, settle down… I have a couple of announcements to make.” he said as he set his briefcase down.
 
“First up: … as you know the gymnasium is going to renovated in the midst of April, so I'm afraid we'll have to push the… Springtime dance back a month.”
 
The class hung their heads low in an awe of despair. Even though it was only mid January (I don't think it snows in Gotham) everyone was looking forward to April's Springtime Dance.
 
Sadly… the Gymnasium… where the dance was usually being held, was going to be renovated in the same month, and this really put a damper on things.
 
“Now… if anyone has any suggestions of any other place where the dance can be held. Take it up with the front office, and we'll see what we get. Then things might get better.”
 
Terra's two friends who sat behind her winked at each other… believing they had all the answers.
 
“Okay then… secondly: we have new student with us today.” replied the teacher, and he motioned for the young-man to come to the front. “Everyone… I'd like you all to meet Mr. Garfield Logan.”
 
Garfield bowed to the class. “Pleased to meet you all.” he said. “I hope that we will get along together.”
 
The teacher nodded, “A very nice opener, Mr. Logan.” he said. “Now… you may take the seat next to Terra, over there.. and we shall get started.”
 
Garfield took his seat next to the girl whom he helped, and for Garfield's first day, they started out by reviewing their geometry. Garfield immediately wasted no time in getting start to work.
 
As he jotted down the notes on the blackboard, and in his text-book, Terra slipped him a note. Which read: “What are you doing here?! You can't take a Hint, can you?
 
Garfield was most confused. What was she talking about? Still, he didn't return the note or even look at her, he had to concentrate.
 
As Class went on. Jillian, and Jackie were also most disturbed about the new kid. They passed a small note to Terra, telling her… “We'll see what this kid's up to during class change.”
 
Near the end of the period… surprisingly, Garfield did pretty well. He already seemed to have caught up to the entire class, and just before it was time for classes to change. “Okay gang… Extra credit for whoever can answer me a bonus question.”
 
The class all looked hopeful, and then question was. “Define, Hypotenuse.”
 
Nobody raised their hand, as they didn't really know the answer. No one… except Garfield who raised his hand. “Yes, Mr. Logan?”
 
Garfield cleared his throat… The hypotenuse… of a right triangle is the triangle's longest side; the side opposite the right angle. The length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse equals the sum of the squares of the lengths of the two other sides.”
 
Everyone stared at Garfield like he was outer-space or something. Even the teacher, who even had to check his text book to confirm Garfield's response. “… it is.”
 
Now everyone exchanged “Wow” expressions with each other.
 
The teacher didn't only give Garfield extra credit, but that just earned him a quick easy credit on his High-School Credits, but he was most curious. “Mr. Logan… you know of Pythagorean theorem?”
 
Garfield nodded. “I read through this entire Text book last night, and already memorized most of it.” he said with a strange look in his eyes. “That and plenty of other books.”
 
“Nerd.”
 
“Geek.”
 
He could hear those whispers, but he didn't bother to retaliate, as the bell had rung, and it was time to go to the next class.
 
Garfield immediately got up, while Terra, Jill, and Jackie met each other in the hallway to talk about him. “This Beast Boy kid is up to something. I can smell it.” grumbled Jackie.
 
“Yeah… let's get the boys to beat him up again.” suggested Jill, but this time, Terra wanted to take matters into her own hands. She was still pretty mad at the girls what they did to Beast Boy that night in the café.
 
She would talk to Garfield… but not now… she had Literature class to get to… Which surprisingly… Garfield was in that class too.
 
Meanwhile, at Titan's Tower
 
Raven was sitting on the sofa with her nose buried in one of her books again, but suddenly, she stopped reading. “It's quiet around here.” she said. “Almost, too quiet.”
 
Starfire who was sitting boringly at the table, nodded her head. “I would have to agree.” she said. “It is so quiet, that one could here the very sounds of a young Gorknorf hatching from its cocoon, light-years away.” (I made that bit with the Gorknork up)
 
Cyborg was sitting by the TV playing video-games, and he too was bored. “It's not as much fun playing these games with no one to torture.”
 
Things had really gotten a bit depressing since Beast Boy left, and yet they still had no way of reaching him. Even they knew where he was, with his amnesia, it would be hard to make him understand.
 
Then suddenly… the alarm sounded.
 
Robin burst into he lounge. “Titans… trouble!” he cried. It was Jinx, Gizmo and Mammoth again. This time they were trying to rob gold from the Gotham national bank… AGAIN!!
 
“We got to stop them.” said Cyborg. “Do you think we can manage?”
 
Robin wasn't so sure. They had trained a little, so they could try and fight without Beast Boy, but they had to keep sharp. Now that the terrible trio knew about it, they could use it to an advantage.
 
Nevertheless… “TITANS… MOVE!!”… and they were off.
 
Back at school
Garfield and Terra were in the same literature class, and the teacher gave everyone them the assignment of writing a 200-word short story to match with a picture in their Shakespearian books.
 
Strangely, Garfield handed in three stories… which he was able to finish in less than 45 minutes of class time. The whole class was amazed, and a few were actually jealous enough to throw paper-balls and planes at him.
 
Still… keeping his cool. Garfield just went back to his book. Terra however, still on her first paragraph, was concentrating more on how to confront the boy without making a scene.
 
The next two classes before lunch were, Science, and History, and as was expected. Garfield, with his high IQ of 170 proved to be under no pressure form his first assignments.
 
By the time lunch had come, he had already complete a full week's worth of work, and he still had four other classes to do that day, but right now… he was feeling just a little depressed.
 
He still hadn't had a chance to get to know anybody yet, and if that weren't enough, some of the kids already began to call him names just because he was smart, still… as expected, he ignored it.
 
He was just sitting in the corner of the cafeteria with his vegan lunch, and a couple of study books... When you're lonely like he is, you have to find something to take your mind off things.
 
(Music cue)
 
(Garfield's thoughts)
 
-One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
Two can be as bad as one
It's the lonelie
st number since the number one
 
-No is the saddest experience you'll ever know
Yes, it's the saddest experience you'll ever know
`Cause one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
One is the lo
neliest number, worse than two
 
It's just no good anymore since she went away
Now I spend my time j
ust making rhymes of yesterday
 
-One is the loneliest, number one is the loneliest
Number one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
One is the loneliest, one is the loneliest
One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
It's just no good anymore since she went away
(Number) One is the loneliest
(Number) One is the loneliest
(Number) One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
(Number) One is the loneliest
(Number) One is the loneliest
(Number) One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
 
Terra on the other hand was sitting with Jackie and Jillian. Both the girls pressuring Terra to go for it and tell Garfield off for the fraud he was.
 
“All right… I'll go tell him off.” Terra said. “Anything to stop you two from doing something drastic.”
 
She got up and moved towards him. Garfield looked up. “Hello, Terra.” He said. “What brings you here?”
 
Terra drew in a huge breath. “No more games, Beast Boy. I know who you are.” she said.
 
Garfield roiled his eyes. “Mother a Bear… will this madness never cease?!” he said. “Why does everyone keep calling me this… this… Beast Boy… or whatever?”
 
Now Terra was the one who was confused. “Beast Boy, drop the charade.” she said. “You can't keep following me around like this… you have to follow your restraining order.”
 
Garfield confusingly shook his head. “What are you talking about?” he asked. Terra explained to him about Beast Boy and all the ways he stalked her, but this only confused Garfield more.
 
“No… stop, please.” he said. “Look… whoever this Beast Boy guy is. I'm not him. I've never even heard of him before.” he went back to his book. “Now, if you please… I'm trying to study.”
 
Well that sure didn't go well. Terra even got laughed at by a couple of kids, but Jackie and Jillian heard everything. “That's it… this kid's going down.” sneered Jackie.
 
She got out her cell-phone and was about to call her boyfriend to arrange another beating session, but Terra stopped her. She had a much better idea that didn't involve violence and trouble… again.