Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Musical: Some things Never Change ❯ Mysterious Theater ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER TEN
 
Garfield had booked a meeting with the producers of the TV-Studio, and the next day, after school he went there for his interview.
 
The inside of the Studio sure looked cool. Lots of different sets were everywhere, and lots of actors were doing their screenplay.
 
Then Garfield met the person he was looking for. Bob, The owner and manager. (Well he had a supervisor named Bob once… why not do it again.)
 
Bob took one look at Garfield. “Freeze.” he said, and then he began looking at him over from head to toe. “Perfect… just amazing.” he kept on going, “You're just the kind of kid we're looking for.”
 
Garfield felt a little embarrassed, but when Bob said that he would be going on TV, he felt most interested in the job already.
 
What he would be doing was… he'd be hosting their latest sketch called, “Mysterious Theater.
 
(Yes… just like the Mysterious Theater from sesame Street)
 
It was supposed to be show that told tragic True-stories that were tragic and heartbreaking to the public. They already had a lot of stories, and now that they had Garfield as their host, all they needed to do was work on an intro.
 
Garfield thought about it, and he decided… that maybe it would be nice for other people to see the pain that others felt, and he even had an idea to show his genius to the world.
 
He knew pain, and misery all too well, and he even had some things to help them with the intro. They could use his picture he made in Art class.
 
The one with the two sides with the beautiful church, and the haunted theater. “I'll do it.” he said, and he shook Bob's hand.
 
“Wonderful… you work every Friday evening.” Bob said. “You're going to be big, kid.”
 
After that was settled, Garfield left to head home. Now that that was taken care of, he had something else to deal with.
 
At his apartment
 
Garfield had already finished his homework, and now he got out his pencils and his sketch book and began to draw possible costume-designs.
 
After all the people he had helped out, with his amazing capabilities he had decided to use his capabilities to protect the people of his beloved home-city. during the week he made certain to stay on top of his homework before concentrating on his design.
 
And next Friday... which was the first week of February it was time for his big gig at the TV station to begin.
 
At Terra's Apartment
 
Terra was concentrating far too much on her homework, she had been trying to figure out what those images during the basketball game were.
 
Then again, some pretty weird things had been happening since Garfield came to school. Something strange was with that boy, and Terra wanted to know what.
 
Then her grandmother came in with a small plate of cookies and a glass of juice. “Child… you shouldn't be working so hard like that.” she said. “Here… have a snack, you'll feel better.”
 
Terra decided maybe she should take a break. “Thanks Grandma.” She said as she took the plate and juice from her. “You do so much for me.”
 
Her grandmother smiled. “I just want you to be happy, dear.” She said as she shut the door. She suddenly began feeling upset and sad with herself.
 
“Terra… you poor child. If you only could remember.”
 
Obviously, she was hiding something from Terra… something that could very well break her heart and clean out all the pieces.
 
Something… that somehow involved her amnesia.
 
Meanwhile, at Titan's tower
 
Things were quiet as usual. Beast Boy's absence was really becoming more and more hard to deal with.
 
Robin had called up Von-Richter to ask how the machine was coming along… but his dismay, Von-Richter had reported that it had only been about a month now, and he wasn't even a quarter of the way done.
 
“I may not get zee Machine vorking again, not until… maybe the summer.”
 
That was a long was from now, and even still… With Beast Boy's amnesia, that only made things all the more difficult.
 
Raven never even thought she'd miss him this much. She was even starting to miss his bad jokes. She also took the time once in a while to gaze into his bedroom, which seemed so empty without him in it.
 
Everyone had pitched in to clean it up a bit, after he had left, but to what good. Beast Boy wasn't there to use it much.
 
Raven didn't even feel much like meditating, or reading her books. She was really that bored…. So… for once, she actually decided to watch TV.
 
She sat herself down on the sofa, and clicked on the TV, and the moment the picture became clear this weird show came on.
 
(Just like Sesame Street's Mysterious Theater opening)
 
It started out with this picture of a beautiful church, with flowery meadows and clear blue skies… but with haunted, ominous music playing, and wolves howling.
 
Raven seemed most confused, until suddenly… BOOM!!
 
Thunder and lighting crashed, and flashed across the screen, an the picture had changed into a haunted burned out wasteland, with dark skies, and the church now looking old and creepy.
 
Giant blood-red letters appeared on the screen spelling out the title of the show. “MYSTERIOUS-THEATER!
 
The music kept playing, wolves kept on howling, and even some cats began to meow in fear as the screen zoomed in to the building's black window… the title words exploded, and the senesce changed.
 
Raven's eyes widened when she saw who was on TV. “Hey! Everyone, come quick!” she called.
 
The other Titans burst into the lounge, and they saw it too…
 
“Whoa!”
 
“No way, man.”
 
“Please… tell me that it is not what I believe it to be.”
 
At Terra's
 
She had also tuned into the show, and almost choked on her cookie. “Awe… no way!” she said.
 
 
In theTV
 
The music was still playing, and now sounding more bitter, and depressing, as well as ominous and scary as the scene changed to the inside of a dark library.
 
Candles were light, and so was a small fire in the fire place, and there… sitting comfortably in a big armchair, looking out the dark window at the lighting and howling winds.
 
The young boy… dressed in a red bathrobe, a white suit, and a black bowtie, slowly turned his head and gazed at the audience.
 
“I am your host… Garfield Logan.” he said in a soft yet deep voice. “Welcome to Mysterious Theater. The show that brings you Tragic stories… with many broken hearts, many crushed spirits, many shattered dreams and surprised endings.”
 
Thunder clashed as he spoke.
 
“Today, for our very first edition… we will present to you, a story of young man named, Vick Plain. Who recently had his heart broken.”
 
“As our story begins… the very source of Vick's unhappiness reenters his life, and the best and only way he can best care for himself is by listing to a song… which entitles tonight's story as…”
 
“… The Alphabet of Despair.
 
Thunder stuck again…
 
“Let's join them… now.”
 
The scene changed and the story began…
 
(This is like the Sesame Street; Casablanca Parody)
 
The story, filmed in Black and White took, place in Café that had pretty much closed down for the evening. The only people who were till around, was a young woman named Lisa… who was listening to Dan, a piano-man, play an old song she and her ex-lover use to hear a lot.
 
(Dan)
 
-You must remember this,
an `S' is just an `S'
A `Y' is just a `Y'
The fundamental things apply…
To the Al-pha-be-e-et of Despair
 
-And you will always see,
It goes from `A' to `Z'
On that you may rely
The world will always know you're a prisoner…
Of the Al-pha-be-e-et of Despair.
 
He kept on playing the song, and Poor Lisa looked as though she was going to cry. “I haven't heard it since so many years ago.” she cried. “Please… Say it again, Dan.”
 
Dan kept playing, and looked up at her. “But… Ms. Lisa, Mr. Vick said I wasn't allowed to--”
 
“Please…” Lisa begged. “For old-time's sake? Say it again, Dan. Recite, the Alphabet of Despair.”
 
Dan couldn't say no to her sorrowing face. “Well… all right.” And he began to recite a version of the alphabet in which all 26 letters stood for something miserable or painful.
 
“A…is for Agony.
 
B…is for Bitter.
 
C…is Contempt.
 
D…is for Doom.
 
E…is Eternal Doom.
 
F… is Forgotten.
 
“And G… is for Gruesome.
 
Before Dan could continue, a tall skinny young man walked right over towards him. “Dan!” he snapped. “I thought I told you Never to say that!”
 
Suddenly, his gaze fell upon the eyes of… “What? Lisa.”
 
“Hello Vick.” the sad woman cried. “Oh… I must go. Goodbye Vick.” and she hastily got up and left leaving a trail of her tears behind.
 
Vick sighed heavily and sadly to himself, and slowly slumped down into the chair where Lisa was sitting. Dan looked up at him from his piano as he kept on playing. “Hey… what's the matter, Boss?”
 
Vick sadly shook his head. “Of all the places in the world, she had to walk into mine joint!” he said sadly. “Finish it up Dan.”
 
Dan wasn't sure he quite got that. Did Vick just asked him to continue the alphabet? “But, Boss… you just told me that--”
 
“Look… you been doing it for her… now you can do it for me.” Vick said. “I want to hear it.”
 
Dan nodded his head. “Okay Boss… from where I left off.”
 
H…is for Horror.
 
I…is Isolation.
 
J… is for Junk heap.
 
K… is for Kicked out.
 
L…is Loneliness.
 
M…is for Misery.
 
N…is for Nothingness.
 
O… is for Oblivion.
 
“And P… is for Pain.
 
Dan stopped when he noticed Vick staring off into space with a sad expression on his face. “Aw… that brings back so many memories.” he said. “I always sang whenever she and I weren't together, and again after she left me all those years ago.”
 
“Finish it up Dan.”
 
“But, but… Boss--”
 
“Fin-ish… it… up… Dan!”
 
Dan nodded nervously. “Sure… sure thing boss.”
 
Q… is Quadruple the Pain
R…is for Rot.
 
S…is for Sorrow.
 
T…is for Terror.
 
U… is Unbearable.
 
V… is the Vastness.
 
W…is Worthless.
 
X… is X'ed-out
 
Y…is a Yell of fear.
 
“And Z… is for Zoom, back to the beginning”
 
Dan was starting to get really tired. “Now Boss… please go home and get some sleep!” he begged.
 
“No.” Vick snapped. “I want to hear it again. Say it again Dan.”
 
Dan moaned under his breath and then started to recite the alphabet… right as the screen blacked out.
 
Outside the show
 
The Titans all were going through a mixture of feelings.
 
“That… is just…” Robin tried to search for words, but. “… I don't even know how to describe that.”
 
Starfire wiped her eyes with her handkerchief. “Oh! That is more depressing than the blue Blubberwilcks on the Planet of Doom.” she sobbed.
 
Cyborg shook his head sadly. “Man, this is cold.” he said. “Yet, it's sweet too.”
 
Raven was totally speechless. This was even creepier and darker than anything she had ever read in her books. “How can Beast Boy host such a terrible, depressing show?” she wondered.
 
Back to the show
 
The scene changed to sunrise, and the roosters were crowing.
 
Dan, who had been playing all night, looked exhausted. “Boss…” he begged, his voice all scratchy and hoarse. “Boss… it's sunrise… please?”
 
But Vick just looked over his shoulder. “Say it again, Dan.”
 
“Wha-- A-Again?!”
 
Vick slumped into his chair. “Again!”
 
Dan gazed at the audience. “Oh, no!” and he turned back to his piano and began playing and hoarsely reciting the alphabet.
 
“A… B… C… D… E…”
 
(Dan: voiced over)
 
-And you will always see,
It goes from `A' to `Z'
On that you may rely
The world will always know you're a prisoner…
Of the Al-pha-be-e-et of Despair.
 
“…X… Y… Ugh… ugh… Z!!! Oh!” Dan collapsed as he played the last few notes, and Vick lay his head face down in his arms on the table.
 
THE END
 
The scene faded back to Garfield. “And so ends, The Alphabet of Despair.” he said to the viewers. The wolves howled and that haunted music started up again as the credits popped up in front of him..
 
“Tune in next week, for more tragic tales of deep despair, moments of misery, and scars and bruises that will never heal.”
 
“Until then… I'm your host, Garfield Logan. Bidding you Farewell… from Mysterious Theater.”
 
He turned to look out the window as thunder crashed again, and he sadly nodded his head, and the program was over.
 
At Terra's
 
She couldn't stop starting at the screen, even after the program had ended. That was one of the most tragic, and depressing stories she had ever heard of… and it was Garfield was in the center of it all.
 
She had a feeling she knew why he was hosting the show too. Only someone who had tragic backgrounds, or depressing lives would want to do that. Now she knew for sure Garfield needed a friend, or maybe. Someone there to help him.
 
Meanwhile, at Titan's Tower
 
Robin had already jotted down the address of the studio where Mysterious Theater was filmed. “We're going down there.” he said. “There's no more time to wait. We have to talk to Beast Boy, now!”
 
“Man's got a point.” said Cyborg. “All this is going to do is make things bad for him.”
 
Raven and Starfire agreed, and then they were off.
 
Outside the story
 
“You did not enjoy doing Mysterious Theater that much, did you?” Copy Cat asked.
 
Beast Boy had to admit that he did enjoy it, but then again he didn't really like being depressed all the time. “At least I found a job I could make money for.” he said. “But then… things in my life were about to get even more Mysterious.”