Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Musical: Some things Never Change ❯ The Manimal ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER ELEVEN
 
The Titans arrived at the station, but the guards wouldn't let them through, as they had no passes, nor an appointment booked, and as urgent as it was that they speak to Beast Boy… the Titans decided to wait.
 
They didn't have to wait too long as they saw Garfield walking out the entrance with his first load of cash from his performance. “See you all next week.” he called to his employers.
 
He began walking down the street when he was confronted by the Titans. “Not you all, again?” he sighed. “I thought I told you all to leave me alone.”
 
“Yo, man… chill out.” said Cyborg. “We just want to help you.”
 
“Then help me… but not helping me.” replied Garfield. “Don't you guys get it. The guy you want me to be isn't who I am… and he's probably not who I want to become either. He seem like… nothing but a real pain in the neck.”
 
“Almost no arguments there.” Raven muttered, but Garfield heard that.
 
“Beast Boy.” Robin said. “We just want you to get better... but you don't have to worry. We won't bother you anymore if that's what you want.”
 
Starfire nodded. “Friend, if you truly wish to be alone… we will try and respect your wishes.” she said. “But please… we wish of you to have this.”
 
She handed him a Titans-Communicator... the same one he threw away at them.
 
Staring at the little device made Garfield's brain go wild, crowding up with blurry memories… he almost could here the voices too.
 
It was his memory of him quitting the team, and throwing his communicator away… but the images were far to blurry and the voices were much too unclear.
 
He snapped himself back to reality. “No… I don't need it.” he said and he walked right past them all.
 
“Beast Boy?” called Robin.
 
Garfield stopped in his tracks and held his book to his chest trying to ease his inner pain. “My name's not Beast Boy… and I'm not the guy who you say I am.” he said sadly.
 
“I'm just plain Garfield Logan… and right now, I have to go home and finish my homework for the weekend. Goodbye.”
 
The Titans all just stood there… they had lost who was once their friend, and while may not have been the brightest and braves member of the team… none was ever more loyal.
 
 
Garfield was still pondering over those weird thoughts that filled his head when he looked at that communicator. Something in his memory was trying to unfold, but what was it?
 
He was so wrapped up in his thoughts, that he didn't see where he was going and he bumped into Terra, who was on her way home from shopping for her grandmother.
 
“Sorry… Terra… I didn't see you there, I was miles away.” He said as he helped her pick up her stuff.”
 
“It's no problem.” she said. “But I guess it's okay you're here… I want to talk to you about something.”
 
Terra told him that she was watching Mysterious Theater. She thought it was kind of bitter-sweet… as a compliment. “But… why would you host a show so bitter and depressing?”
 
Garfield sighed heavily. The truth was, he didn't really like all the sadness and misery surrounding him. “It just makes my life ever more empty.” he said. “But I need this job. No one else gave me a chance.”
 
Garfield decided to walk Terra back to the building where she lived. She got a chance to tell him that she was going to ask Jackie and Jillian to stop picking on him at school.
 
Garfield did think that was nice of her… but he told her not to waste her time worrying about him. “I can take care of myself… I've been doing it for years. I'm used to it… I guess.”
 
This made Terra really worry about him. He had no parents, he lived all by himself with no social background at all. “Garfield…” she asked. “you don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but…”
 
She paused “…Why do you try and shove people away? What is it that you have against everyone?”
 
Garfield hated it when people asked him that. “That's not it at all.” he said. “The truth is… I'm not the one who has the problem… it's everyone out there who seem to have a problem with me.”
 
“Just because I'm different than they are, and I do things differently… People just tae one look at me and start laughing and calling me names!! And…” he sighed. “They don't even give me a chance.”
 
He hung his head low. “They judge me before they even get to know me. That's why I decided a long time ago that I'd be better off alone… that way no one can hurt me.”
 
Terra was speechless. No wonder he was so agitated and upset most of the time. “Garfield… just know this...” she said. “You can't let all those people get to you… there will always be someone out there who wants to help you.”
 
“Maybe there are.” Garfield said. “But if there are any... I just haven't met them yet.” He sighed again. “I better go before it gets completely dark.”
 
He walked up the street, and Terra never took her eyes off him.
 
(Music cue)
 
(Terra)
 
-You get blue
Like everyone
But one day I hope so
That your troubles go away
Blow away
There they go
 
-Cheer up Garfield
why wont you smile?
What happened you I wish to know
Don't you know a grin will always be a sunshine
Let that sunshine show
-Come on Garfield
No need to frown
Deep down you know the world is still your toy
When the world gets heavy
Never pit-a-pat 'em
Up and at 'em boy
-Someday, sweet as a song
Your lucky day will come along
Til that day you've gotta stay in strong Garfield
Up on top is right where you belong
 
-Look up Garfield
You'll see a star
Just follow it and keep your dreams in view
Pretty soon the sky is gonna clear up Garfield
Cheer up
Garfield do
Cheer up Garfield
Just be glad you're you.
 
Meanwhile
 
Garfield was doing his homework, not that it was too much of a challenge with his genius mind. He wondered if Terra was right… maybe there would be people out there who could help him one day.
 
Still… it didn't change what he had now… nor what he planned to do. “If people can't respect me for who I am… then I'll give them someone.”
 
Now that he had a lot of cash on him… a smart brain… and a whole load of time… he began drawing up plans and potential designs for a costume.
 
He went and bought fabrics, tools, and other material. Then over the next few weeks… he spent all his spare time drawing up plans, sewing and welding everything he had into a costume.
 
(Music cue as he works… an Flashes of his regular school days)
 
The hour's approaching, to give it your best
You've got to reach your prime.
That's when you need to put yourself to the test
And show us a passage of time
Were going to need a montage
(montage)
Oo
h it takes a montage (montage)
 
(Working on the design)
 
-Sure a lot of things happing at once,
Remind everyone what's going on (what's going on)
And when every shot you show a little improvement
Just show it all or it will take to long
That's called a montage
(montage)
Ooh we want montage
(montage)
 
(Getting picked on at school)
 
And anything that we want to know
From just a beginner to a pro,
You want a montage
(montage)
Even rocky had a montage
(montage)
 
(Doing Mysterious Theater)
(Montage...montage)

Anything that we want to know
From just a beginner to a pro,
You need a montage
(montage)
Ooh it takes a montage
(montage)
 
(Working day and night on the costume and weapons)
 
Always fade out in a montage,
If you fade out
It seem like more time has passed in a montage
Montage
 
(Finally… working out in Gym)
 
Three weeks later
 
It was the last Friday of February, just before March, and Garfield was just wrapping up another weekly episode on the show.
 
Thunder crashed, the wind still howling… and the ominous music was playing as Garfield, seated in his haunted dark room wrapped things up
 
“And thus ends another disturbing episode from the world where hearts are broken and souls are lost for… who knows how long?”
 
“Join us next time for Mysterious Theater until then, this is your host, Garfield Logan saying… Goodbye.”
 
Thunder stuck again and the show was over. “Okay... and we're out.” said Bob. “Great work, kid… they loved you.”
 
Garfield smiled, and collected his pay for the week, and left, but the moment he began walking down the street he was just in time to see three police-cars whiz by, and a lot of people were running along with them.
 
“Hey! What's going on?” Garfield asked.
 
“Yo… it's the Teen Titans… their being held up in some sort of fight at the bank.”
 
Garfield saw this as a chance to finally use his new surprise. He quickly ran home, and opened up his special wardrobe. “This is where weeks of hard work pay off.” he said to himself. “Get ready world… there's a new stranger in town.”
 
Meanwhile
 
The Titans were once again being held up by Jinx, Gizmo and Mammoth, who had been robbing children's charity money from the local toy shop… and it was worth quite a bundle.
 
“TITANS… GO!!” cried Robin.
 
Robin chased Gizmo down one aisle and three his mini-bombs straight at him, but the crafty little genius evaded them all and then blasted him with silly-string guns. “Got to love this stuff.”
 
Cyborg kept his eyes peeled, his search light shining, and his Sonic-Cannon ready to fire. “Come on out now, and fight like a Mammoth.” he called.
 
“Hey, Tin-Man.” called Mammoth.
 
Cyborg saw him at the end of the aisle. He began charging forward like a bull with his cannon at he ready. He FIRED… and Mammoth simply moved aside letting the shot hit a tube of small super-balls.
 
The balls scattered all across the floor, and Cyborg slipped on them, stumbling about… and he fell flat on his face.
 
As for Starfire and Raven… well. They were facing Jinx, and had her surrounded. “Surrender… we have you outnumbered.” Starfire snapped.
 
“Just shoot her already!” snapped Raven. “Azarath… Metrione… ZINTHOS!!”
 
BAM!! Jinx got tossed hard into a shelf full of stuffed animals, and Starfire went wild with her star-bolts, all of them direct hits…. But suddenly they realized that it wasn't Jinx.
 
It was just a Mannequin dressed to look like her, and they realized that too late. The Real Jinx used her magic in a sneak-attack and fell down hard.
 
“Heh… losers.” Jinx mocked.
 
 
The Titans were bound and gagged, and Gizmo placed near them a motion-sensitive bomb that would explode as soon as they made a single move, or even used their powers.
 
Even if the Titans didn't move, the timer set it to go off in ten minutes. “See you later… if there is a you to see later.” laughed Gizmo.
 
The Trio laughed as they took all the money and fled off. “Robin… they have gone.” cried Starfire.
 
“Careful, Star.” Robin said. “What ever any of you do… don't move.”
 
Cyborg had an idea. “Okay Y'all… hold still.” he said. “I'm going to try and jam the motion sensors.”
 
“Be really careful Cyborg.” said Robin.
 
Cyborg aimed his Red-Eye… carefully towards the bomb. “Neutralizing… now!” and he shot out a small beam that wasn't detectible by the bomb. “It's going take me a bit.”
 
“Oh, do hurry Cyborg.” cried Starfire. “We must catch the bad ones.”
 
“And how are we supposed to do that?” snapped Raven. “They could be miles away by now.”
 
“Would Y'all chill out… I'm trying to concentrate.” snapped Cyborg.
 
Meanwhile
 
The Trio's only possible escape route was headed up to the roof, since the place had the ground floor surrounded. “We are out of here.” Gizmo said.
 
They began headed for the first rooftop, but suddenly they were confronted… by someone dropping down in front of their way.
 
He wore a black and white suit, with and Armored belt… shoulder pads… a black and red cape, and he also worse a complete black motorcycle helmet, with a removable mouth-guard, and metal horns on the head like a bull.
 
The trio sweat dropped in confusion. “Does anybody have any idea about who, or What… this is?” asked Mammoth.
 
“I don't know… but I'll bet he never asked to look for a fashion designer.” mocked Jinx.
 
The stranger stared them all down, and his eyes glowed red behind his helmet visor. “You may have succeeded in it this far… but you're still not home free.” he said. “Now you face… “The Manimal.”
 
“The Manimal?” asked Mammoth. “Sounds more like a cheap burger name to me, Because that's who your ABOUT TO BECOME!!” he charged forward.
 
Manimal just stood his guard and then thrust his own fists into Mammoth's fists, halting him in his tracks. “Huh? What the.”
 
Manimal seemed to be using the strength of a real mammoth himself as he gave Mammoth a huge shove and send him skidding across towards the others. “Man… what hit me?
 
Gizmo and Jinx were shocked. “GET HIM!!” shouted Jinx.
 
Everyone down below in the street looked to the rooftops and saw the commotion.
 
(The Batman cartoon intro plays)
 
Jinx fired her Magic-waves, but Manimal leapt like a Frog high up over head avoiding the blasts. Then using a device on his left gantlet he sprayed her with ink, like an Octopus.
 
“EWW… what is this… this… ugh.” the ink was a powerful sleeping drug and Jinx went down like a log.
 
“Nighty-Night… you filthy creature.”
 
Gizmo, was next. “Okay pal… prepare for a does of genius.” he growled. He clicked his remote, deploying his metal spider-legs, and began crawling his way towards him, and then armed his new laser goggles. “Take this!!” he fired…
 
…But Manimal began running as fast as a Leopard, running rings around Gizmo. “Hey! Hey… stop! You're making me dizzy.” Gizmo cried.
 
Then, pulling some sharp quills from a small pack on his belt. Manimal tossed them at the spider-legs like a Porcupine and shorted them out.
 
Gizmo landed on his bottom… SPLAT… and still all dizzy, he fell out of it.
 
“Genius? More like, ingenious.” Manimal mocked. Then he and Mammoth engaged in a fist fight. “The bigger they are.. the harder they fall.”
 
POW!! Right in the middle of the gut. “UHN!! You… Got… me!!” and down he went with a huge KERSLPAT… just as the Titans, who had broken free and made it up to the roof to see it happen.
 
“Who's that guy supposed to be?” asked Robin.
 
Whoever he was, to Robin's surprise, he just took out all three fighters single-handed. Manimal looked at them… inside, he felt uncomfortable being near the Titans… and he turned on his heel and headed for the edge of the roof.
 
“Wait!” called Starfire. “I wish to know of who you are.”
 
“Who I am… is of no concern to you.” said Manimal and he began running and leaping across the rooftops, and use two grappling-hooks on spring loaded wires to cross larger gaps…. Like a Gorilla on a vine.
 
“O-kay… that was weird.” said Raven.
 
Across town
 
Manimal was standing up on the tallest building in town, his cape flying in the wind. “The world will never know that I… Garfield Logan, am… the Manimal.”