Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Musical: Some things Never Change ❯ Just to be Popular? ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
 
 
The next day… as Garfield was on his way to school, when he passed by the newsstands and saw the latest copy of Manimal… and what he read made his blood churn.
 
The headline read: “The Manimal… Hero, or Menace.”
 
“Menace?” he muttered to himself. He picked up the paper to look at it more closely. The story explained of how he was at the fire yesterday, but local citizens were starting to believe that Manimal wasn't what he was all cracked up to be.
 
“Hey, kid. You going to buy paper or not?” asked the clerk.
 
Garfield suddenly snapped out of it, and then realized he was going to be late.
 
When he got to school, he noticed that a lot of the students had a cut out copy of the story, and some even put it up all over the bulletin boards in the hallway.
 
Garfield was most outraged, but he had to keep his cool or he'd blow his cover.
 
When he got to his locker, he noticed the sing up board behind him for the school clubs, including the music group.
 
So far… there only three students. Jackie, Jillian, and Terra.
 
Remembering what Terra had said yesterday; now that he thought about it, he really could use another little bit of activity in his life. He'd be doing what he liked, and it would give him something else to think about other than the papers.
 
So he signed his name, and which role he'd play. He chose to do what he did for Terra, and play several keyboards at once, so there could be more instruments in the band.
 
He also made sure to exclude himself on Friday's, as he had to head to the TV-Studio and do Mysterious Theater.
 
Terra came by just to see him add the finishing touches to his signature. “Way to go, Garfield.” she said. “I know you'll just fit right in with us.”
 
Garfield and Terra walked to class together. “I don't think it'll all be that good.” he said. “I still have a bad feeling about this.”
 
Terra wasn't going to take anymore “No's” for an answer. “Garfield… you'll be just fine.” she said. “You play music pretty well, you know how to sing great… you even know which song to sing for whichever feeling suits it best.”
 
Garfield smiled, but his smile faded in an instant. “As flattered as I am… that's not what's bothering me.” he said. “What are Jackie and Jillian going to say?”
 
At Lunch
 
Terra tried talking to her friends, and you can bet your grades on it, that they didn't like what was happening.
 
“Over our dead bodies.” Jackie sneered. “What does he think he's doing marching into our little She-She club anyway?”
 
Jillian nodded. “What would he know about good music anyway? The little geek.”
 
Terra felt her blood boiling. “Jackie! Jillian! You both have No-Right whatsoever to insult Garfield like that.” she said strongly. “He has every right to be in the music club as we do.”
 
Jackie and Jillian knew they were licked. There wasn't really any “Girls-Only” rule, and the club did belong to the school so anyone who wanted to join was allowed by all means.
 
They decided to give him a chance.
 
At the end of the Day
 
Garfield made it for his first Music club meeting, and as he already seemed to be familiar and advanced with everything, they skipped all the basics and allowed him and the girls to star playing.
 
“Just one problem.” Jackie said. “We still haven't got a song to play.”
 
Garfield cleared his throat. “Ahem… excuse me, but we have.” he said. He handed them a music sheets of a song he and Terra really wanted to go for.
 
“Sweet Betsy From Pike?” Jackie said, looking disgusted. “Yeah right… there's no way we can play this.”
 
Jackie and Jillian were more into Rock and Pop, but Garfield's song wasn't either one of those. It was a old Folk song, but he promised them, they way they were going to play it.
 
(The way the Jukebox band plays it on Shinning time Station)
 
“This better be good.” Jillian muttered.
 
They got their instruments ready, and Garfield set two of his keyboards, one to piano-mode, and the other to Dark Moon. “You girls ready?” Garfield asked.
 
The girls nodded, and so they began.
 
(Music cue)
 
They began playing the song in a sort of soft mystical tune, instead of a folk tune. Garfield began to sing, and Terra was his backup voice.
 
(Garfield)
 
-Did you ever hear tell of sweet Betsy from Pike
Who crossed the high mountains with her lover Ike,
With two yoke of cattle and an old yeller dog
A tall shanghai rooster, and one spotted hog,
 
Sing toor-ali-oor-ali-oor-ali ay
(Sing toor-ali-oor-ali-oor-ali ay)
 
-One evening quite early they camped on the Platte,
'Twas near by the road on a green shady flat;
Where Betsy, quit tired, lay down to repose,
While with wonder Ike gazed on his Pike County rose.
 
Sing toor-ali-oor-ali-oor-ali ay
(Sing toor-ali-oor-ali-oor-ali ay)
 
 
Garfield then began playing a saxophone on one of his keyboards, as the song kept going. Then he and Terra began singing together.
 
 
(Garfield and Terra)
 
Did you ever hear tell of sweet Betsy from Pike
Who crossed the high mountains with her lover Ike,
With two yoke of cattle and an old yeller dog
A tall shanghai rooster, and one spotted hog,
 
Sing toor-ali-oor-ali-oor-ali ay
(Sing toor-ali-oor-ali-oor-ali ay)
Sing toor-ali-oor-ali-oor-ali ay
(Sing toor-ali-oor-ali-oor-ali ay)
Sing toor-ali-oor-ali-oor-ali ay
(Sing toor-ali-oor-ali-oor-ali ay)
The song faded out… and Jackie and Jillian were… well… they didn't know what they were feeling. It sure was different the way they had played that song, but they still didn't know if Garfield was all that Terra said he was.
 
“Okay… so we misjudged you a little.” Jackie said deeply. “But next time, play something with…” she strummed an angry rock tune on her electric guitar. “… Bite back.”
 
“Yeah…” Jillian added as she pounded on her drums. “Something with style.”
 
Terra and Garfield looked at each other in confusion. “Well, I think it was pretty cool.” Terra said. “Why should we only have to play one kind of music.”
 
Garfield felt glad that at least someone was on his side, but Jackie and Jillian were not amused, but they decided not to argue over it.
 
Garfield leaned over. “Are they always this mean?” he whispered.
 
“Not really.” she answered. “They're only in this club to try and get bigger in popularity.”
 
Garfield always had a sneaky suspicion that Jackie and Jillian were always like that. Not caring about much but their own popularity.
 
Still… at the end of class, Garfield decided to stay in the club for a while longer, despite the fact that Jackie and Jillian were still being a little mean.
 
Well… at least Terra was being nice to him. He didn't tell anyone before, but he was actually coming to be quite fond of Terra. She was always being nice, she stayed on top of her grades, and she was willing to try new things.
 
Even though she was only just one friend he could say that he had, that was good enough. One friend was always better than none.
 
Meanwhile. At Titan's tower
 
Robin was reading the daily paper, and as expected, he cut out the column story about the people of the city starting to think less of the Manimal.
 
“Yo' man… he wasn't attack the city.” said Cyborg, “That guy's actually starting to make us look like weaklings.”
 
“No offense.”
 
Robin knew Cyborg had a point. So far, the Titans were still having trouble rounding up the major villains in the city, but Manimal was able to save the day single-handedly. “If only we knew who he was, maybe we could talk to him.”
 
“But how?” asked Raven. “Every time people get near him, he runs off.”
 
“Yes.” added Starfire. “And he had also made it clear that he does not wish to be our friend, or join our team.”
 
Robin didn't think Manimal was all that mean. “Maybe he's just too embarrassed.” he said. “Or maybe he's got something to hide that he doesn't want anyone to know of.”
 
Still, whatever the reason. The only way they could find out, was to confront the Manimal, and talk to him…. “But, how?”
 
None of the Titans had a single idea. Usually, they first card a ridiculous idea from Beast Boy before they came up with a solution to anything.
 
Either they couldn't think straight, or they were too preoccupied with the Gotham City annual festival coming up, celebrating the day that Trigon was destroyed and the world was saved.
 
The Titans, being the guests of honors, were personally invited, and they were planning go because in a big event and festivities, a great chance for a criminal to strike while the town was preoccupied.
 
Meanwhile
 
Jackie was over at Jillian's house… supposedly studying, when those two were really up to their little schemes to try and get the Manimal into even more trouble.
 
“It's bad enough this Masked-Menace hadn't been arrested yet, now Terra's starting to think he's incredible?” Jackie snarled.
 
“Chill out.” said Jillian. “We just got to catch that freak in a few more acts and he'll be as good as boned.”
 
All this just become popular. Those girls were seriously in a loop of going nuts.
 
(Music cue)
 
(Jackie)
 
-Whenever there is any sort of popularity
We have to make so certain that's all on we
 
(Jillian)
 
We'll do what we can make the suckers fall in line
We won't sleep a wink until it's hers and mine.
 
(Jackie)
 
We'll slave it. We'll crave it.
Through rain or shine
 
(Jillian)
 
We'll snag it. We'll bag it.
Do it on a dime
 
(Both)
 
It'll haunt us, and taunt us `till the end of time.
We won't sleep a wink until it's hers and mine.
 
(Organ solo)
 
We won't sleep a wink until it's hers and mine.
 
Meanwhile
 
(Terra is at home studying… while Garfield/Manimal is outpatrolling the city)
 
(Terra)
 
Whenever something good happens to come round.
My friends both go crazy and like a rupture of ground.
 
(Garfield/ Manimal)
 
There has to be a way to stop those two from falling more behind
I won't sleep a wink until it's off their mind.
 
(Terra)
 
They slave it. They crave it.
And don't care who falls behind.
 
(Garfield/ Manimal)
 
They snag it. They bag it.
With no care what's on the line.
 
(Both)
 
They'll haunt us. They'll taunt us `till the end of time.
I won't sleep a wink until it's off their mind
 
(Organ solo)
 
I won't sleep a wink until it's off their mind.
 
(Jackieand Jillian)
 
We'll slave it. We'll crave it.
Through rain or shine
 
(Garfield and Terra)
 
They snag it. They bag it.
With no care what's on the line.
 
(Jackie and Jillian)
 
It'll haunt us, and taunt us `till the end of time.
We won't sleep a wink until it's hers and mine.
 
(Garfield and Terra)
 
They slave it. They crave it
Through Rain or shine.
 
(Jackie and Jillian)
 
We'll snag it. We'll bag it
Do it all on a dime.
 
(Garfield and Terra)
 
They'll haunt us, and taunt us `till the end of time.
We won't sleep a wink until it's off their mind.
 
(Jackie and Jillian)
 
We won't sleep a wink until it's hers and mine.
 
(Garfield and Terra)
 
We won't sleep a wink until it's off their mind.