Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Adventures of the Teen Titans ❯ Crouching Tiger, Hidden Demon ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blowfish: Hello, everybody! Sorry I took so long to update. Please leave as many flames as you want, and feel free to beat the crap out of me. I got reviews!
 
Lomesir: That I will. Thanks!
 
Happy-Raven: JLU rocks, doesn't it? I liked the last episode a lot: Wonder Woman got turned into a pig! n_n Yay! Thanks, and don't worry, I'm gonna try my best to keep “Much Ado About Titans” running smoothly.
 
Grumbumble: I've always thought Robin and Batman had an interesting relationship outside of crime-fighting; sort of a cross between a brotherly and a father-son thing going on. Glad you liked it. GL is the type to say that, isn't he? Yes, three fics is going to be VERY stressful, but I know I can do it. Thanks for understanding—and know this: the “new chapter dance” is for NON-professionals only…so keep at it! Take that, you dancing school bastards! Kick me out! See if I care! (sniff)
 
Chimpy: …You never went to dancing school.
 
Blowfish: Shh, you're ruining the drama.
 
Eilian Rhoss: Thanks, and here's the new chap you wanted. And I certainly hope people will still review my other stories!
 
Chimpy: If you write, they will come.
 
Blowfish: Oh hush, you. Anyway, here's the next new chapter!
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Teen Titans or the Justice League. (stares up at the sky) WHY, GOD, WHY?! I also don't own Happy Meals. That's McDonald's, remember?
 
Warning: This chapter gets a little weird at times. The author really, really likes demons, so be prepared for the supernatural.
 
“talking” `thinking' <telepathy>
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
“So, if J'on's not with us, how're we supposed to find the demon?”
 
Batman eyed his sidekick, and shook his head. “J'on is guiding us telepathically.”
 
The trio of Batman, Robin, and Starfire was gathered atop an apartment building in Jump City. They had taken the space jet down to Earth, and had begun their search; rather unsuccessfully. Robin and Starfire were dressed casually, because Batman had a nasty feeling this would be an undercover job, rather than a nice, quick throw-down. However, Robin still had his utility belt on. Just in case. They hadn't yet heard from J'on, who was monitoring everyone from the Watchtower.
 
Starfire leaned over, looking past Robin at Batman. “But is he able to give us a specific target?” she asked.
 
<No, but people are naturally repelled by demons, and you are all rather sensitive people.>
 
Starfire yelped in surprise. Robin jumped a little bit; he wasn't used to the idea of someone's voice in his head.
 
<The fact is, certain people are more accomplished at finding demons; demon slayers, for example. Those people are in tune with demonic auras. They are very rare, and often retain psychic abilities. But psychic abilities or not, you all should be able to feel something “off” if you approach a demon.>
 
“You're weirdin' me out with the mystical stuff here, J'on,” Robin said. “I don't give a rat's ass how we find it, just that we stop it before it decides to have another snack.”
 
<I understand your urgency, and—it's nearby.>
 
“What?”
 
<The demon you're tracking. It's very close.>
 
Robin looked down at the streets. They were fairly deserted, except for a lone figure, who was keeping a leisurely pace.
 
Batman followed his gaze. “Bingo.”
 
The supposed demon walked down to the end of the street, where there was a sign indicating a walk-down restaurant. It had faded words on it.
 
BARAK'S CAFE
Exclusive
See Doorman For Entry
 
The person walked down the steps, and knocked on the door. A small slot in the door opened, and two yellow eyes peered through.
 
“Barak's. Who is it?”
 
“Donovan, it's me. The newbie, remember?” The yellow eyes squinted.
 
“Oh yeah, you're that kid from the other day. Come on in.” Donovan opened the door, and the figure stepped inside.
 
The door slammed behind them.
 
Robin cracked his knuckles. “Undercover time.” Batman sighed heavily.
 
“Please, control yourself. Don't do anything I wouldn't.”
 
Robin grinned. “Bats, you wound me. When have I ever done something you wouldn't?”
 
Batman took a breath, ready to count the instances in which his pupil had disobeyed him, but Robin and Starfire were already on the street below. Starfire was very excited.
 
“On my planet, such delicate operations are only assigned to elite soldiers,” she explained giddily. “To me, this is a very high honor.”
 
“Personally, I think it's kinda boring,” Robin said. “I'm just glad I don't have the Dark Knight leaning over my shoulder.”
 
“Don't be so sure.”
 
Robin found himself jumping for the second time that evening. He then realized his mistake.
 
He'd left his com-link on.
 
“Dammit.”
 
“Heh, you didn't think I'd really let you go on your own, did you?”
 
“I'm not on my own! Star's with me!”
 
“As if that counts, she'll do whatever you say.” Robin growled, and shoved his hands in his pockets.
 
It was going to be a long night.
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Jinsho was not having a good night.
 
He and his gang had been chased by the human police. This wasn't threatening, but it was damn annoying. Too many of those bullets scratched his skin, making him very irritated. In a mauling, the victim had managed to pull off one of Jinsho's scales before being gutted like a fish. That really pissed him off. On top of that, none of them had been able to get many animals to eat. A blue jay and a crow, but nothing that really qualified as a meal. For it to be a meal, it had to struggle a bit before you killed it. Otherwise, there was no real sense of satisfaction. Jinsho and his company sighed. There was only one thing that could possibly salvage their night now.
 
They needed a drink.
 
“Sanshi, didn't you say there was a safe place to get around here?” Jinsho asked. Sanshi scratched his head.
 
“Uhhh, yeah, that Barfak's place…or was it Beero's…?” Sanshi scratched his head again.
 
Jinsho sighed. Rock demons were several fries short of a Happy Meal, compared to other demons.
 
“It's Barak's,” said Korin exasperatedly. “Barak's Café, you sack of crap.”
 
“Don't call me a sack of crap, you bastard!”
 
“Shut up, you son of a—“
 
“QUIET!” Jinsho bellowed, hushing Korin, Sanshi, and the rest of his gang. “I see a sign for it over there, you nimrods.”
 
“Oh,” they both said in unison.
 
Jinsho squinted in the darkness. He'd always thought it odd that demons had trouble seeing in the dark. Only demons of darkness and spirit demons could see very well through the pitch black. He contained a shudder. Those were the worst kind of demons, the spirits and the darkness.
 
He paused. There was a pair of teenagers walking down the stairs to Barak's. `Hmph. Weird,' he thought. He motioned for the others to follow him, and they went down the steps after the kids. They turned around; how could they not, considering there was a seven-foot-tall serpentine man standing behind them, not to mention the other ghastly-looking members of the group.
 
“Err…nice evening, eh?” the boy managed to get out. He was wearing sunglasses, despite the lack of light.
 
Before anyone could say anything else, a small slot opened in the door, and two yellow eyes peered out. “Barak's. You're new, kiddo, what's your name?”
 
“Just call me Robin,” the boy said.
 
“And the girl?”
 
“Starfire,” she answered bravely.
 
“'Kay,” the voice said. The eyes gazed beyond them, at the other guests. “Hey, Korin. That you?”
 
“Yep,” Korin replied.
 
“Alriiight, now it's a party. Everyone in.”
 
They walked in. On the left, there was a bar, where several people. The rest of the place was taken up by tables and a small stage, that looked like it was for karaoke or possibly stand-up. It wasn't very crowded. Robin surveyed the crowd, and his eyes widened.
 
Most of the people there weren't human.
 
One could see everything from hair, to skin, to scales on the customers, and many of them looked very suspicious. One must understand that in a crowd like this, normalcy tends to stand out. That was probably why Robin noticed the girl in the corner so quickly.
 
She was pale, skinny, and couldn't have been much older than Robin himself. Her hair was a purplish-blue, but other than that, she looked completely average. Her eyes were hidden by a small book, and she took sips from a steaming teacup. Her frame seemed almost familiar…
 
`Holy sh—`
 
“Robin, right?”
 
Robin's thoughts were cut off by the doorman, who had been nudging him for quite some time now.
 
“Yes?” he answered irritably.
 
“You want a table?”
 
Robin suddenly realized the opportunity he had been given. “Uh, yeah, but could I make a request?”
 
“Sure.”
 
“That girl over there is a friend of ours. Could we sit with her?”
 
“Uhhh, sure. Don't see why not.”
 
While the doorman searched the desk for two menus, Starfire shot Robin a quizzical look. He jerked his head in the direction of the girl, and put his hands in the air menacingly, as if he had claws. Starfire must have interpreted the gesture correctly, for her eyes widened as if to say “Are you sure?” He nodded.
 
But before they could take their seats with their supposed target, Jinsho and his company had already made it over to her.
 
“Hey, girl,” Korin spat. “This is my table.”
 
She looked up from her book, revealing a pair of abyssal blue eyes and a strange gem in the middle of her forehead. “I didn't see you sitting in it when I got here,” she said. Robin could hear in her voice that she wasn't mocking him. She was just stating a fact.
 
“Get the hell up.”
 
“No.”
 
In a flash, Korin yanked the girl up by the collar of her black jacket. Her blue boots dangled three feet above the ground.
 
“You're really starting to piss me off, kid.”
 
Robin dropped into a battle crouch, and Starfire followed suit. This was going to get ugly. They would wait until he put her down, and then—
 
“Don't make me hurt you.”
 
Now the entire café was silent. The words that had just come from the mouth of the girl were unbelievable. Her, hurt Korin? Everybody was itching with anticipation at what Korin would do. Of course, Korin did what any respectable water demon would do.
 
He burst out laughing.
 
“You, hurt me?! That's priceless! Did you guys hear—“
 
What happened next was so fast that in later years, Robin wasn't sure what he had witnessed. At that moment, what appeared to be glowing, black bird talons rose from the floor and grabbed Korin. He released the girl from his grip in a desperate attempt to use both hands to escape, but wasn't even offered time to scream before being pulled into the gaping black vortex in the floor. The girl fell as well, but landed on her feet harmlessly on top of the rip in dimensions. Black and white sparks danced around her, and she met the eyes of Jinsho.
 
“I warned him.”
 
Sanshi charged at her. “You bi—" Before he could finish his curse, however, he was engulfed in black energy. With a flick of the wrist, the girl sent him flying. She did this to the rest of the demons that ran after her. Jinsho was the only one left standing, and he was very, very confused. He didn't understand. This kid had powers like a demon. She had a demonic aura. But, discolored hair aside, she looked like a regular human. She reeked of human. No demon could disguise their smell. He shook his head a few times. Human or demon, it didn't matter. She was going down.
 
Jinsho grinned. “You like fire, kid?”
 
The girl stared at him.
 
“I like fire a lot,” he continued conversationally. “Some of my friends even say I'm…” Trailing off, he summoned a huge fireball in his open palm.
 
“…A pyromaniac.”
 
He hurled the fireball at her. She wasn't dodging this. There was no way she could withstand a fireball from Jinsho, the greatest fire demon of them all. Indeed, everyone in the room believed that the petit teenager was no match for this scaly, pyrokinetic, powerhouse.
 
They were wrong.
 
“Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos!”
 
The fireball stopped within inches of her face. Her eyes were glowing white. “You like fire, right?” The fireball zoomed back in the direction of Jinsho, and the impact knocked him off his feet. He did not get back up.
 
The girl brushed off her jacket, and heaved a sigh. Her eyes caught her spilled drink on the floor. `So much for tea,' she thought.
 
“FREEZE!”
 
Robin had his fists up, and Starfire's eyes were glowing with green light. Robin jumped, grabbing the girl's arm before she threw him off. She eyed them for a moment, before her form turned into a black bird and rose up through the ceiling.
 
Robin swore under his breath, activating his com-link. “We lost her, Batman.”
 
“'Her'?”
 
“Yeah, it's a girl. A really strong girl.”
 
“Guess we'll have to find her again.”
 
“Maybe. Maybe not. Check your tracker.”
 
Batman looked down at his communicator and smiled. A flashing red dot moved across the grid. “Who says I didn't teach you anything?”
 
“Heh, no one, sir.”
 
“Come on, we should go. She's moving fast. We'll rendezvous at the pizza parlor; she's headed in that direction.”
 
“Ten-four, good buddy. Robin out.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
“Aww, man, why won't this damn thing start?!”
 
Johnny was bent over the car, looking for the source of its stubbornness. Bill just stood to the side. He wasn't quite as good a mechanic as Johnny.
 
“Cy!” Johnny yelled. “What the hell is wrong with this hunk of junk?!”
 
A hulking figure entered the garage. “Because, ya moron, I haven't put the central interface chip in yet.”
 
“…Oh.”
 
Cyborg sighed. Johnny was an okay mechanic, but he wasn't all that bright. Bill wasn't any real use at all, except that his pop owned the garage they were working in. Also, neither of them were very honest or reliable guys. Never around when you needed them. `Speaking of which…'
 
“Yo, either of you guys seen Rae around?”
 
Bill scratched his head. “I think she went out,” he said.
 
Johnny gave a look of distaste. “I don't like that chick. She gives me the creeps. Doesn't talk, `cept to you.”
 
Cyborg growled. “You don't give her a chance.”
 
“Dude, she's been here a month. We've been with you from the start. You seem to trust her more that us.”
 
“I didn't say that.”
 
“Yeah, but it's obvious. Birds of a feather, I guess…”
 
Cyborg stopped dead. “What's that supposed to mean?”
 
“You know what it means. F-R-E-A-K-S. Freaks. That's what you and that girl are. Sideshow freaks.”
 
Cyborg could feel his rage building. “Get out,” he whispered.
 
Bill stepped forward. “Hey, this is my garage, so you can kiss my—“
 
“GET OUT!” he bellowed, holding up his fist as it shifted into a sonic cannon. Now they were scared. “GET OUT, GET OUT, GET OUT!!!” And they did.
 
Cyborg collapsed into a chair, his hand changing back to normal. He looked at his reflection in his car's window. Half of his face was covered in metal, and in place of the blue eye that would have been there, there was a lifeless red light. He wanted nothing more that to smash the glass before him. They had called him what he knew he was.
 
A freak.
 
Cyborg buried his head in his hands. They were metal, too. There was so little of him that remained human, so little of him that reflected the boy he used to be. He sighed.
 
“Hey.”
 
Cyborg looked up, and his mismatched eyes met a pair of blue ones.
 
“Where are Johnny and Bill?”
 
“I kicked them out.”
“Why?”
 
“Because they're bastards.”
 
“Okay.”
 
“Okay?”
 
She shrugged. “I didn't like them. I have a feeling you never really did either.”
 
“Nah, guess I didn't.”
 
There was an uncomfortable silence. Cyborg stood up.
 
“You still wanna come to the race? I mean, without the guys, I could use the help…”
 
“Sure.”
 
Cyborg smiled, and punched his hand with his fist. “Awww, yeah! It's time to show the world what the C-Car is made of!”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Robin, Batman, and Starfire were perched on a ledge overlooking the Jump City arena. It was where most of the city's illegal gambling took place, and tonight was no exception.
 
“An underground car race,” Robin mused. “Interesting. Why would she come here?”
 
“Don't know,” Batman replied. “But it's our job to find out.”
 
“Excuse me…Robin?” Starfire said.
 
“Yeah, Star?”
 
“…This race does not appear to be subterranean.”
 
Robin slapped his forehead, and Batman chuckled. “Underground can also mean something illegal is being done in secret, Star. It isn't actually below the ground.”
 
“Oh. I see.”
 
“You two better go if you want to get seats,” Batman said.
 
“Right.”
 
“And just remember, I'm watching you.”
“I know, sir.”
 
“Okay, okay. See you later.” Batman launched his grappling hook, and swung towards the arena.
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
“Aaaaand, welcome, folks, to the raaaaaaceeees!!!”
 
The crowd cheered. Almost everyone was illegally betting on the race, and they were eager for the start. Robin and Starfire had taken seats in the back, but they were content with the view. As long as they could find their target, there would be no problems.
 
“In lane one, the terrifying, roaring machine cultivated by some of the most talented mechanics of downtown Jump City, the TIGER!!!”
 
A black car with a orange cat with black stripes painted on cruised into the first lane. Two people got out. One was a tall handsome man, the other an older guy with oil stains on his shirt; he was obviously the guy who was going to be in the pits.
 
The seven other race contestants, all with even more stunning cars and drivers were presented. Robin was thinking of simply going into the crowd to seek out the girl, until he saw the next contestant.
 
“Coming from downtown Jump, a new face in the racing competition, the C-CAR!!!”
 
The car was a strange design, having a see-through hood, and looked much more advanced than the others. Out of the car stepped a pair of figures. One had a trench coat and hat on, as if they had something to hide. The other was a short, skinny girl that Robin recognized all too well. Starfire followed his gaze and gasped.
 
“Robin, it is—“
 
“I know, I know!”
 
They briskly made their way through the stands, and Starfire accidentally smacked into a tall man.
 
“Many apologies, sir. I was not watching where I was going.”
 
The man smiled. “No worries, little lady. Everyone's eager to watch the race. Go find yourself a nice seat. It oughta be quite a show, heh heh heh…” he chuckled, walking away.
 
Starfire smiled back at him, but she couldn't shake the feeling that there was something very wrong with the man…
 
“Starfire! Move! They're about to—“
 
“GO!!!” the emcee boomed. The cars were now burning rubber around the track, and Robin and Starfire were running out of time.
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Raven sat in the pits, surveying the race with considerable detachment. She could tell that Cyborg would win. He had to. `Whoa…where did that come from?'
 
Raven paused. This new feeling inside was constantly barging in on her thoughts, and it wouldn't go away. Just as she was contemplating this, Cyborg drove in. She picked up the wrench apprehensively. She wasn't the best mechanic, but she had watched Cyborg enough to pick up a few tricks.
 
“I think something's loose underneath,” he said.
 
“Got it.”
 
Raven slid under the car. Cyborg was right. There was a nut coming loose, and so was the bolt it was holding in. She tightened it, and got out, wiping a bit of oil of her face.
 
“Thanks, Rae,” Cyborg said, giving her a thumbs-up. She smiled as he drove off. She could tell now, that this new feeling was not coming from being with Cyborg himself, but from helping him as he had helped her. This feeling of satisfaction from paying him back.
 
`Is this what it's like…to be happy?'
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Batman was in the upper arena, watching Robin and Starfire go down to the front row. When they got to the girl, he would go down and help them. Then they could sort this whole mess out.
 
<Batman!>
 
Batman jumped at the sudden loudness of J'on's voice. “What is it?”
 
<There is another one of the demons I sensed in that arena.>
 
Batman's eyes widened, as he reached an epiphany. He hadn't just dropped Robin and Starfire in with one strong demon.
 
He had dropped them in with two.
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Raven's head shot up. Something was very wrong. She sensed an evil aura near her. Granted, most of the people there were dishonest, lying, cheating, frauds, but they weren't really evil. This was different. Someone was set on doing something truly wicked tonight. She looked in the audience, but found nothing. Her gaze strayed higher, and she stopped. There was a tall man on the ledge overlooking the race. He held in his palm a ball of white energy. He drew his hand back.
 
`Oh, shit.'
 
Before Raven could register what had happened, the blast had hit the racetrack, sending several of the cars flying.
 
“CYBORG!” she yelled, as his car flipped over. She ran towards it, but before she got there, a metal fist came jutting through the window. Cyborg pulled himself out, and apart from a small cut to the human half of his face, he seemed fine. At least physically.
 
“IT'S TOTALLED!!! AFTER ALL THAT GODDAMN WORK, MY BABY IS HISTORY!!! AAAWWWW!!!”
 
Raven was stunned. She had never seen anyone so close to tears over a car. `At least he isn't hurt. 'Now where—' She looked back up at the ledge, but the man was gone.
 
“Everyone remain calm and evacuate! We'll extinguish the fire once everybody's out!”
 
Robin grabbed Starfire's arm, leading her in the direction of the exit. He had no idea where the explosion had come from, but he had no desire to stick around and find out. Suddenly, he felt his mentor's voice blasting in his ear.
 
“Robin!”
 
“Ack! Not so loud!”
 
“Get out of there, now!”
 
“I am, I am! What's got your tights in a twist?”
 
“There's another demon in that arena.”
 
The tall man was making his way through the desperate, fleeing crowd. He could smell the fear in the air. Once he was out, he'd snag another one, and then—
 
“You're not going anywhere.”
 
He spun around, and his fierce expression softened. Just a kid.
 
“You better get outta here, little lady, or you're gonna get yourself hurt.” He then realized that most of the spectators had cleared out, and they were more or less alone. He grinned. “Come with me, kid, we should leave.”
 
Raven straightened up. “Like I said: You aren't going anywhere, soul-eater.”
 
“You humans think you're so tough,” he said, keeping his light tone. His eyes glowed red and his mouth opened to reveal rows of razor-sharp teeth. “Are you hungry? Because I am!”
 
Raven took a step back, keeping her mouth firmly shut. The tighter her jaw, the better. `Ready…'
 
“Yo, Rae!”
 
Raven's head turned to Cyborg's voice before she even realized her mistake. By the time she did, a huge fist had already collided with her face, sending her sprawling.
 
Cyborg gaped at the guy who had punched her. “Hey! What is your deal, man?!”
 
“CY, STAY BACK!”
 
Cyborg was stunned. This was not an order, but a plea. Raven sounded desperate. It didn't matter. Whoever this guy was, he was dead. Cyborg's arm changed into the sonic cannon, and he charged.
 
“Robin, look!” Starfire yelled.
 
Robin was looking, all right; a half-machine duking it out with a colossal demon wasn't something one witnessed on a daily basis.
 
“I think we've been chasing the wrong demon,” he said, drawing his bo staff. “Star, with me!”
 
Cyborg jumped backwards, and charged again. This guy just wasn't going down. This time, he let out a fierce cry as he attacked.
 
Big mistake.
 
“HA!” the demon yelled. “TIME FOR A SNACK!!!” He sucked in breath, and suddenly, Cyborg felt very strange. It was as if everything that had ever happened to him was replaying in fast-forward. His mom…his dad…meeting his best friend Nick for the first time in elementary school…getting elected class president in eighth grade…becoming the star quarterback in high school…a huge monster…pain…metal…his dad again, only this time crying…and all through it, it was getting slower and slower, and the most recent events being more detailed…
 
He was squatting over the girl in the forest. He had come looking for where the strange flash had come from, but had somehow found this unconscious girl instead. As he contemplated the possibility of these two events being related, she stirred.
 
“…Wha?”
“Hey, you okay?”
 
“Where…?”
 
“The forest. I found you like this. Where'd you come from?”
 
“Your face…”
 
He grimaced. She had finally taken note of the fact that he was part metal. He prepared himself for the insults, the screaming, and the running away. But when he looked again, he found she was smiling.
 
“What?”
 
“You're half human.”
 
“Uhhh…yeah. What about it?”
 
“…Nothing. Never mind.”
 
“What's your name?”
 
“…My name is Raven.”
 
The last month went by in a matter of minutes, and then everything went black.
 
The demon grinned, grabbing the boy's soul around its “tail”. “Ahh, I'm getting hungry just looking at it…” He opened his mouth wide, ready to devour it.
 
“HUUUAAHH!”
 
Suddenly, he was bombarded by green energy blasts. He looked over and saw the girl he'd bumped into earlier. It was then he realized his meal was scurrying back to its body. He growled and ran after it, but then found himself paralyzed.
 
“What—“
 
“You're really pissing me off,” said Raven. Her hand was surrounded by black energy, just like the demon's body. She swung him into the wall. He got up again, but was hit in the back by something hard and metal: Robin's staff. He stumbled forward, and looked up—only to find himself staring down the barrel of a Cyborg's sonic cannon. The machine-human hybrid bared his teeth.
 
“EAT THIS!!!”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Batman swung down to the arena, and immediately wished he hadn't. The sight of a headless demon was rather unpleasant. Several white lights rose from the body, and flew off in separate directions. `At least the souls will be returned,' he thought.
 
Robin grimaced at the scene, but then turned to Raven and smiled. “Guess we had the wrong person.”
 
“Yeah, guess you did,” she said coldly. Cyborg nudged her, and she sighed. He shrugged.
 
“Since she won't say it, I will: Thanks. I owe you my soul,” he laughed.
 
“Think nothing of it,” said Starfire cheerfully.
 
“Do you two have a place to stay?” Batman cut in.
 
Cyborg scratched his head. “We couldn't…”
 
“We have a satellite that could hold the population of a small city. You could, and you will.”
 
“The JL satellite?! WHOO! Ya hear that, Rae? We're dining in style tonight!”
 
“No,” Raven whispered.
 
Cyborg stared at her. “What?”
 
“No. I can't stay with you. I've been enough of a pain in the ass already,” she said, jamming her hands in her pockets and turning around. “I'll see you around, Cy.”
 
Before she took two steps, Cyborg grabbed her and slung her over his shoulder.
 
“Cy, what the fu—“
 
“You haven't been a pain in the ass, Raven. You're my friend. Hell you're the only real friend I've had since I became Cyborg! And we are gonna kick it in style with the Justice League!”
 
Raven smiled. “Thanks, Cyborg.”
 
“No prob'.”
 
Batman gestured to Robin that it was time to leave, so they turned and started walking. Starfire followed, and so did Cyborg and Raven; the two newest members of this strange little group.
 
“Cy?”
 
“Yeah, Rae?”
 
“…You can put me down now.”
 
“Not a chance, Raven. Not a chance.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Blowfish: Yeah, I know that chapter may have seemed almost CyRae-ish, but that wasn't really my intention. I was sort of trying to convey how strong their friendship is. Cyborg's kind of like a big brother to her. Anyway, that took me FOREVER to type, so I hope you like it. I originally was going to introduce Cy by himself, but my idea for how to do it was kind of lame. So, I decided to stick him with Raven, making this chapter uber long! But you know what this means: Four Titans down, one to go.
 
Next time: A science lab calls the League asking for help finding their test subject, and they send Batman, Robin, Starfire, Cyborg, and Raven to take care of it. But after meeting this test subject, they have doubts about the legality of the lab's experiments. Is this strange “Beast Boy” telling the truth, or is he just trying to get out? Find out next time! Seeya!