Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Adventures of the Teen Titans ❯ Little Green Boys ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blowfish: Ack, it's been a while. I need to work on getting this stuff up quicker. I was so inspired with “Heroes” that I sort of cast this story aside for longer than I intended. Ahh, I've got the creative juices flowing now, though. And to help it along, my Beethoven CD! Gotta love Symphony No. 9! Still, I'm having a hard time. I know where I want to go, but not how to get there. And I'm really supposed to be writing an essay on ethical behavior right now. Eh. Anyway, I got reviews.
 
BlackShield: Ah, the master of angst graces me with his presence yet again. I'm glad you like it. Oh, and about the CyRae stuff…ugh, don't want to spoil any of the story. Sorry. I know what you mean about the chapter length, I hate it! I mean, a chapter is supposed to be more than half a page, people! Really. I'm glad you like the introductions, and I hope you like Beast Boy's! (Naughty BB-chan gets a chap all to himself.)
 
BunnyKat: JL does rock, doesn't it? I just couldn't leave Bats out of the action, so I decided to do the whole ear thing. Thanks, I always thought Rae and Cy had a sort of brother/sister thing going.
 
tempestchaos18: I dunno, Cy's just like that. n_n
 
Grumbumble: You liked the tights line? Heh, so did I. I just thought of making him say “What's got your pants in a twist”, but then I realized Batman doesn't wear pants! Aaaaanyyywhooo...I'm glad you liked the stuff between Cyborg and Raven. I like to keep lots of action going in my stories, I'm happy it shows. I'm actually not quite sure what gave me the idea for Barak's café. I think I was just looking for an excuse to put a karaoke stage in one of my stories, heh heh. I have the strangest obsession with karaoke…O_o
 
MCLBLUE: The BEST?! WHOO! (Blowfish jumps and dances around like a madwoman. She looks as if she's on the verge of a Broadway musical number, but Chimpy slaps some sense into her.) Whew…sorry.
 
Silver Foxglove: Yay! I like to know that I'm not doing a crappy job with emotion; it's so easy to screw up. I'm also happy to hear you like the descriptions. (I believe I have the tendency to go overboard. O_o;)
 
K9 the First: Nah, actually Raven and BB kinda clash in this chap.
 
Ro: Hope you like this chap!
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Teen Titans or Justice League. But I DO own the world! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! (is being taken off to the loony bin) I'M NOT CRAZY! I'M JUST SPECIAL!
 
Chimpy: Oh yeah, you're REALLY “special”.
 
“talking” `thinking'
 
Blowfish: Anyway, I hope you guys like this!
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
“Yo, you asleep there, Rae?”
 
Raven rolled over on the sofa, coming face to face with Cyborg. Her expression was one of disdain.
 
“Well, I was.
 
“Heh, sorry.”
 
Raven yawned and sat up, only to be taken from behind into a bone-crushing hug.
 
“Friend Raven! You have awakened from your slumber! I am joyful, as we now may discuss Earthly things, or consume carbonated beverages in the room of eating, or perform braiding maneuvers on each other's hair, or—“
 
“Starfire…how about…we let me breathe?”
 
“Oh!” Starfire exclaimed, letting go of Raven. “I am deeply sorry for my intrusion upon your space.”
 
“More like my windpipe,” Raven grumbled. Wonder Woman and Green Arrow walked into the room.
 
“You kids enjoying your stay?” Arrow asked.
 
“I'd enjoy it more if Miss Touchy-Feely would back off,” Raven said. She sauntered out of the room, and Starfire seemed to physically droop.
 
“Friend Cyborg, I am getting the feeling that Raven does not enjoy my presence,” Starfire said. Cyborg shrugged.
 
“Raven's just different from you, Star. To each his own, I guess. She really is okay, you've just gotta give her some time.”
 
It had been four days. Raven and Cyborg had taken residence in two of the vacant rooms in the JL satellite. Cyborg had quickly settled and become fast friends with Robin, Starfire, and the rest of the League. Raven, however, spurned all friendly advances made toward her, treating the League with respect and detachment. Even Starfire's infectious cheerfulness had not affected her. She rarely found much to talk about with anybody, and spent most of her time meditating or leafing through the satellite's colossal library.
 
“Well,” Wonder Woman said. “If you ask me, she can be a bit rude at times.”
 
Cyborg frowned. “Ya got a point there. She hasn't really made many friends, has she?”
 
Starfire jumped up in protest. “I consider Raven a friend, even if she does not think the same of me. I also think that she has made very good friends with J'on and Robin.”
 
“That's true. Boy Wonder and her have that whole secrecy thing going.”
 
“I think she respects J'on as a telepath,” Wonder Woman said.
 
“Yeah,” Cyborg agreed. Suddenly, there was a large rumbling from his stomach. Everybody looked at him. “Lunch time!”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
The food court was abuzz with chatter. Starfire, food tray in hand, spotted Cyborg, Robin, and Raven seated at a table. Cyborg appeared telling Robin a story, and Robin was listening intently. Raven seemed more focused on the book shielding her face. She approached the table and sat down, listening to Cyborg and Robin's conversation.
 
“—Can you believe that?” Cyborg asked.
 
“Wow,” Robin said. “Yeah, that definitely sounds like it had something to do with you being black.”
 
“Tell me about it.”
 
“Black?” Starfire interjected.
 
Cyborg stared at her quizzically. “You know, black.” Starfire's curious expression remained. “The color of my skin…?”
 
“But friend Cyborg…you are brown.”
 
Cyborg and Robin looked at her in absolute shock. The awkward silence was interrupted by someone giggling. The boys were even more shocked to find it was coming from Raven. She put down her book and covered her mouth, trying to stem her laughter.
 
“Don't you guys get it?” she asked. They shook their heads. “She doesn't know what race is.”
 
Starfire was even more confused. “Is race not the species you are of?”
 
Raven shook her head. “On this planet, it means the color of your skin.”
 
Starfire's expression grew concerned. “But why would people wish to divide itself by such small differences?”
 
Cyborg grinned and put an arm around Starfire's neck, pulling her into a bear hug. “I KNEW I liked this girl!”
 
Robin stared at her quizzically. “So, there isn't any racism on your planet?”
 
Starfire just returned a blank stare. “…Racism?”
 
“Uhh…”
 
“It means being an asshole based on how someone looks,” Raven interjected. “Like if Robin was to be mean to Cyborg because he's black.”
 
Starfire looked thoughtful. “…I still do not understand why you use the term black, but I think I see what you mean. We Tamaranians come in different shades of my skin color. Rarely as dark as Cyborg or as light as you, unless one is ill. But I still do not understand why—“
 
Suddenly, Green Arrow came running over. “Hey,” he said. “Come on, the others want you guys in the mission room.”
 
“Why?” asked Cyborg.
 
“Dunno, but it sounds important.”
 
The four teens shrugged. “Alright, you guys. Let's go!” Robin said.
 
Superman was in the middle of the mission room when Robin, Starfire, Cyborg, and Raven rushed in. Green Arrow followed close behind, and Batman seemed to appear from nowhere.
 
“What do you need us for, Big Guy?” Cyborg asked, giving him a salute.
 
“We received an email from a biological testing lab in Jump City. They have…err…lost their test subject.”
 
Batman paused, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. “Why ask us? This is the police's problem.”
 
“They don't want to cause a panic. This thing is dangerous.”
 
“So, you want us to track it down?” asked Robin.
 
“Yes. I figured Arrow and Batman could use some help, and most everybody is deployed on the Zandia case right now, or something else. Everybody that's still here is monitoring the satellite.”
 
“Glorious!” Starfire cried, floating off the ground. “We shall capture and return this beast to the men of science!”
 
Cyborg smiled at his friend's sunny disposition. He glanced at Raven, who looked thoughtful. “What's up?” he queried.
 
“Not sure…does this seem fishy to anyone but me?”
 
“It does seem a bit weird,” Robin agreed.
 
“Well, weird or not, we have to check it out,” Arrow said firmly. “Beam us down.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
“The lab placed a tracker on our target,” Batman said.
 
“Good, we could use some easy work,” the Emerald Archer commented.
 
“I doubt this will be easy.”
 
The group was in separate parts of the city, all communicating by com-link. Starfire and Robin were closing in on the target from the east, Cyborg and Raven from the west, and Green Arrow and Batman from the south. The blinking dot on the screen that was their target was changing speed and direction erratically, making it hard to follow. They only definite path that it seemed to follow was the one towards the city limits.
 
“Whatever this thing is, it's trying to leave the city as fast as possible,” Robin said. “We'd better catch this thing before it gets out.” He sped up his R-cycle.
 
“Agreed,” Starfire replied firmly, flying alongside of him.
 
Cyborg and Raven were creeping through dark alleys.
 
“I think we're close,” Cyborg whispered through clenched teeth. Raven nodded. The blinking dot was within yards of them. With a small “chk-chk”, Cyborg deployed his sonic cannon. The sorceress next to him held up her hands, and they began to glow with dark energy. They peered around the corner.
 
There was a bushy green tail sticking out of a trash can. An audible snarling was emanating from it, and there was a great stink in the air (obviously from the contents of the trash can). The trash can tipped over, and a disgruntled green wolf tumbled out. Its ears perked up and it turned to face a large, mechanical man with a cannon in place of his right arm.
 
“Stop right there, `Balto',” he ordered. (A/N: I love Balto. Kick-ass movie.)
 
The wolf growled and began advancing. A girl appeared beside the mechanical man. The animal was angry now. The odds were uneven.
 
“Just chill, fido,” the metallic one said. The wolf snarled. It was fed up with this name-calling.
 
It lunged.
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Robin turned another corner on his R-cycle. He was getting the growing feeling that something wasn't right. `Maybe I'm just paranoid. Rae and Cy will probably already be finished by the time we get there.' Suddenly, Robin's com-link blasted in his ear.
 
“GAAAAAHHH! GET OFF ME, YOU SON OF A—AHH!”
 
`Or not.'
 
“Robin? Did you hear that?” Starfire asked fearfully.
 
“Yeah,” he responded grimly. “We'd better motor!”
 
“Cyborg!” Raven yelled. The wolf was on him, attempting to chew his arm off. Cyborg's sonic cannon spun out of control, sending blasts everywhere. Raven evaded them, trying to stay focused on the wolf.
 
“Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos!” she yelled. The wolf slammed into the wall and slid to the ground, whimpering. Then, something she or Cyborg never would have expected took place.
 
The canine's paws twisted and shriveled into nothingness, and its arms were sucked into its body. The now appendage-less body stretched and twisted, and all of the time the animal looked less and less like a wolf. The green fur was replaced with green scales, and the pointed nose became flatter, slits taking the place of nostrils. The animal got longer and longer until it could no longer be called a wolf at all.
 
It was a snake.
 
“Crap,” Raven whispered.
 
“We are fucked,” Cyborg agreed.
 
The snake shot at them, barely giving any time to dodge. Once the humans were safely out of the way, however, the snake darted into a sewer drain. There was no need to linger.
 
God DAMN it!” Cyborg yelled.
 
“Swearing is a terrible habit,” a voice chided him. The duo turned to face Green Arrow and Batman. “What did you find?”
 
“That this thing can change from a wolf to a snake. Probably more, judging by our recent run of luck.”
 
Robin and Starfire came up to them. “So, it went in the sewer, right?” Robin said.
 
Raven looked at him. “NO. No way am I skipping through twenty miles of sewage to find some stupid snake.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
“I can't believe I'm skipping through twenty miles of sewage to find some stupid snake.”
 
Robin chuckled. “You aren't exactly skipping.”
 
“Shut it.” Starfire giggled, and Cyborg looked up at her disdainfully.
 
“Keep on laughing, and I'll pull you down. I can't believe you girls can float while the rest of us have to walk through all of this sh—“ Batman held up his hand, signaling for quiet. There was something there. A sound, barely audible, came from the tunnels up ahead. Batman's face turned white, and he whispered something hoarsely.
 
“Come again?” Arrow asked.
 
“Crocodile.”
 
Robin's hand went over his eyes. “Oh, you've got to be—“
 
A seven-foot crocodile charged out of the water snapping at all it could see. These humans were in its way. Two of them were the ones from before! They must be following it. One of the human's shoulders popped up and turned into a flashlight. The reptile's pupils turned into slits, and it dove back down.
 
Starfire hurled several starbolts, but to no avail. It had gone back under the surface. The group closed in together, making sure no one would be hurt. Robin looked over to Batman. The Dark Knight nodded, and they pulled similar disks out of their utility belts. The crocodile rose again, but this time they were ready. The disks hit the crocodile and exploded, spreading red powder all over it. Once it hit the water (and whatever else was in that foul sewage), it changed to a strange goo. No matter how much the crocodile wriggled, it couldn't free itself.
 
“What the hell is that?” asked Cyborg.
 
Batman smiled. “We call it `Bat-Goo'. Robin's idea,” he said, ruffling his protégé's hair.
 
Green Arrow snickered. “'Bat-Goo'?”
 
“…For lack of a better term, yes.”
 
“Look!” Starfire yelled, pointing at the subdued crocodile. It was changing shape rapidly. Fish…rat…lion…emu…mongoose…pig…the list went on and on.
 
“This thing would make a cool pet,” Cyborg mused. Suddenly, it changed shape again, getting taller, sprouting green hair and pointed ears on its head, and stretching to full height as something no one had expected—a human.
 
“DUDE! I am nobody's pet!”
 
“WHOA!” Cyborg yelled, falling backwards. Standing in front of him was a boy who was…very green. He had green hair, green eyes, and even green skin. His elfin ears were twitching, and he bared his sharp canine teeth. The only un-green thing about him was a pair of blue jeans. He tried to step forward, but the goo held him in place. He swore under his breath.
 
Arrow was in a state of shock. “Umm…excuse me…what…are you?”
 
The green boy looked up at him indignantly. “I'm human! I can just change into stuff.” He paused, looking fearful. “Are you here to take me back to the lab?”
 
“Uhh…yeah…but…did they do this to you?”
 
He snorted. “Man, those guys don't have anywhere near the brains to do this. That was the reason they captured me, though.”
 
“Captured you? You mean they kidnapped you?”
 
“Yeah, I guess. Not to mention experimenting on me, screwing around with samples of my DNA, and using it for genetic engineering projects. Oh, and the reason I left is because they were trying to dissect me.”
 
“B-but that's—!”
 
“Illegal? Tell me about it. I hate scalpels,” he said, gesturing to a small, recent-looking cut on his bare chest. (A/N: *drool*) “Guess you guys are gonna take me back, though, huh? I think I pissed you two off pretty badly,” he added, pointed to Cyborg and Raven.
 
Cyborg's expression hardened. “Damn straight you did. But if some white-coat bastards are gonna cut you up, we ain't gonna take you back…err…what's your name?”
 
The boy paused. “People call me Beast Boy.”
 
“The name's Cyborg,” he said, sticking out his hand. “This is Raven, Robin, Batman, Green Arrow, and Starfire.”
 
“Nice to meet ya. Now, if I may ask: How the hell do I get out of this red stuff?”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Beast Boy sat in the back seat of the Batmobile grumbling. He was being treated like such a kid; no choice in anything. He didn't want to go back to the lab, but Batman insisted on “bringing the scientists to justice”. Beast Boy wanted them to pay for what they did to him, but a part of him was frightened to go back there. He tapped his foot impatiently and slumped into the seat. Seeing his obvious discomfort, Green Arrow decided to lighten things up with conversation.
 
“So, Beast Boy, how old are you?”
 
“Fourteen, I guess.”
 
“Guess?”
 
“I haven't celebrated my birthday much in a while, but I know when it is, and I know what year I was born in.”
 
“Oh…why don't you celebrate your birthday?”
 
“No one to remind me.”
 
“Oh. Hey, you're a bit young to be on your own, aren't you?”
Beast Boy shrugged. “I dunno. What does it matter?”
 
“Well—“
 
“We're almost there,” Batman interrupted. “Beast Boy, are there any security measures in the compound?”
 
“Uh, YEAH. The guards, the DNA-programmed cannons, the electric fences, and all the normal fixings of a FULLY-LOADED DEATHTRAP.”
 
“Ah...what do you mean by DNA-programmed cannons?”
 
“They'll shoot at any un-familiar DNA or DNA that's on high-priority file. Like mine.”
 
“How did you manage to escape?”
 
“I chewed through some of the electrical wires and shorted out the system. Got shocked a lot, though, and I bet they've already repaired them.”
 
Batman pushed a button on the dashboard. “You guys get all that?”
 
“Yeah,” Robin's voice said, coming from the speaker. “But how are we going to get in?”
 
“I can get in,” Raven said. “But I'll need someone who knows the place to guide me. Then I can short out the electricity so you guys can get in.”
 
Batman turned to Beast Boy. “You up to it?”
 
“I think I know it well enough,” the changeling agreed.
 
“It's settled, then. Meet by the building on Fourth Ave. We're going in.”
 
It was dark in the lab, but there were beakers bubbling, lights blinking, and test tubes steaming; Raven was vaguely reminded of descriptions of witch's lairs in books she had read. There was no one present, and a large dissection table was in the middle of the room. `That must have been where they were going to—`
 
“Raven! Are you there?!
 
Raven jumped at Beast Boy's voice. Once she realized it was only him, she growled. He was one of the most annoying people she had ever met, including Starfire. At least Starfire wasn't telling jokes every five minutes, or being arrogant and cocky. Raven hated arrogant and cocky people.
 
“Yes, I'm here. I'm in the main lab, by the dissection table.”
 
“Eugh, that brings me back. Anyway, do you see a fuse box?” Raven looked around, and her gaze finally landed on a gray box on the wall. She went over and opened it, revealing a multitude of switches and wires.
 
“Found it. Which ones do I cut?”
 
“Uhh…let's see…”
 
Tell me you didn't just chew through all of them until you got lucky.”
“No! That would've killed me! I only chewed through the green, red and black ones. I know it was one of them.”
 
“Oh God…”
 
“Hey, you try focusing on what you're doing while a bunch of guys with needles are chasing after you!”
 
Raven rolled her eyes and pulled out her wire-cutters, and paused. Something wasn't right. She was getting a sinking feeling in her stomach. Meanwhile, Beast Boy was still rambling.
 
“—and I was half-sedated! Christ, do you know what it's like being a half-sedated mouse? It's like being on—“
 
“Beast Boy, shut up.”
 
“Don't you tell me to shut up! Just cut the damn wires!”
 
“Beast Boy, I'm trying to list—“
 
THWACK!
 
SMACK!
 
Crack.
 
Thud.
 
“…Raven?”
 
The only sound that came was a deep, animal-like snarling.
 
“…Raven, are you there?”
 
“…Ahh…”
 
“RAVEN!” Beast Boy yelled through his com-link. Robin looked panicked.
 
“What's going on?”
“I don't know!!!”
 
“Chill, man,” Cyborg said, though he sounded very tense. He checked the Batmobile's sensors. “I think the electricity's disabled. Whatever got to her, it didn't get to her before she cut the wires.” Batman nodded.
 
“Let's go.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Bob and Devon were terrible watchmen. It wasn't so much that they were underpaid, but that they were just lazy. There hadn't been anything going on at the lab, anyway, except for that escaped subject. And they hadn't even been on duty that night. There was nothing to be afraid of. So, they often found creative ways to pass the long, uneventful hours.
 
“Hey look, I made a crane!” Bob said happily. Devon looked up from his novel to see a small paper crane in his friend's hands.
 
“Nifty.”
 
“Yeah, my wife got this little book on paper-folding, and I decided to try it out. I'm working on the monkey next,” he said, placing the crane with his other creations.
 
“Ah.”
 
“How's the novel?”
 
“It's…it's fine.”
 
“Not a good read?”
 
“Nah. Good. Just not great, ya know?” Bob nodded sagely.
 
“Um, excuse me.” The watchmen looked up to see a blond man in green tights and cap, and a bow and quiver on his back. Standing next to him was a very green teenage boy who was shirtless and wearing jeans. They were both grinning insanely.
 
“Good evening, gentlemen. I'm Beast Boy,” the green boy said.
 
“And I'm Green Arrow,” added the blond man.
 
“And this,” said Beast Boy, pulling out a small ball. “Is approximately 12 ounces of knockout gas.” With that, he threw down the ball, and Bob and Devon were out like lights.
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Cyborg sent another guard slamming into the wall. He looked to his right, and there was one heading for the alarm. Batman swooped down and grabbed him. Once all of the guards were disposed of, the two continued.
 
“So, do you put a tracker on all of your com-links?” Cyborg asked.
 
Batman nodded. “For cases such as these. Or if my `partners' decide to take a little detour.”
 
“Ah. You've had to work with some people you don't like, I see.”
“We all have to work with people we don't like at some point.”
 
“True. We're closing in.” They saw a door with a keypad in front of them. Cyborg rolled his eyes. “Pssh. Honestly, they're gonna have to do better than that. No security system can keep Cy out.” He placed his hand next to the pad, and wires came from his fingers. They connected to the keypad, and he looked to the monitor on his arm. Within minutes, the door was open.
 
“Nice work for someone your age,” Batman commented. Cyborg felt a surge of pride.
 
“Thanks. Now…” Their faces became solemn as they both drew their weapons. As they stepped into the room, the door closed behind them, and the room turned dark. Cyborg swore under his breath.
 
“We've been caught,” Batman muttered.

”Indeed you have,” said a voice. They squinted to see a man in a white lab coat standing before them. “Batman…and who is your companion? Quite an interesting specimen. I know a very good cybernetics engineer who would have a blast taking a look at you.”
 
“I'm sure he would,” Cyborg growled. The man tutted, shaking his head.
 
“Too bad he's not here. You're just stuck with a simple biologist, I'm afraid. I'm more of a zoologist, really. Or at least I was. But then I found that dazzling boy and his powers. You're here with him, aren't you?” Batman and Cyborg tensed up. “Yes, you are. Ah well. Your little lady friend gave us a bit of trouble, cutting the power. And I am still baffled as to how she got in. But that doesn't matter. What matters is that you're here. Come on in, join the party.”
 
Cyborg forced a wicked grin, holding up his sonic cannon. “A party! And we forgot to bring dip.”
 
“Well then,” the man said quietly. A gigantic shadow loomed behind him, and a deep, animal-like snarling could be heard. “You'll do as a snack instead.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
“Up here?” Starfire asked.
 
“Yes,” Robin answered. She linked her arms underneath his and lifted him into the air. In a matter of minutes, they were on the roof. There was a large vent protruding from it. Robin pulled out a bird-a-rang and loosened the bolts as much as he could. Then Starfire gently (by Tamaranian standards) pulled off the covering.
 
“Shall we?” she said.
 
“Yes, lets,” he agreed. They clambered through the opening and crawled through a large stretch of the shaft. Robin stopped suddenly. “Listen,” he whispered.
 
“…little lady friend gave us a bit of trouble, cutting the power.”
 
Starfire gasped. “It is—“ Robin shushed her. He pointed to the ventilation grate. She nodded and tore it off. Robin attached his grappling hook to the top of the shaft and lowered himself upside-down, Spiderman-style. Starfire floated down with him. They could see a hulking form perched over Cyborg and Batman. Next to it was a man in a white coat, who was talking.
 
“…you'll do as a snack instead,” he said. He paused and turned around, facing Robin and Starfire. “Oh, and look, you brought friends.” Robin and Starfire exchanged horrified glances. He could see them. “Now, my creation,” he said, putting a hand on the still not-quite-visible form. “Play nice.”
 
Beast Boy and Green Arrow dashed through the halls, knowing that every second that went by was one that Raven (and possibly the rest of the group) was in danger. Suddenly, they heard a high-pitched scream.
 
“Starfire!” Beast Boy yelled. They ran in the direction of the scream and came to a door. Beast Boy growled viscously. “ALRIGHT, THIS DOOR'S COMIN' DOWN!” Arrow grabbed his arm.

”Wait a second!”
 
“Wait for what?! The others are in trouble!”
 
“We could be walking right into a trap!”
“So?! We're wasting time! It doesn't matter if it's a trap, it's my fault we're in here in the first place!”
 
“…Is that really what you think?”
 
“If you guys hadn't had to look for me, we would've never met, and if I had just shut my mouth for two seconds, nothing would've happened to Raven! So whether you want to or not, I'm going in!” He stomped forward, and raised his fist, ready to morph into the animal that suited his needs.
 
“Hey, kid.” Beast Boy turned around to see Arrow with his bow ready. “You're gonna need some help.” Beast Boy grinned.
 
“Thanks.”
 
“No problem. Now, on the count of three…One…” Beast Boy morphed into a wildebeest. “Two…” He lowered his head and spread his hooves. “THREE!” He rammed through the door, shining light throughout the darkened room.
 
“Mary, mother of God…” Arrow whispered.
 
There was a colossal green beast in the middle of the room fighting off Batman, Cyborg, and Starfire at the same time. The beast had a strange mixture of fur, skin, and scales. Its eyes, though numerous, were empty and soulless, and it had a strange tentacles coming out of its back. The monster was four-legged, each foot ending in claws of every fashion, and its misshapen mouth was lined with razor sharp teeth. Beast Boy was horrified. This thing, whatever it was, was an obscenity. He paused and looked around.
 
“Where's Robin? And Raven?” he asked Arrow. The Emerald Archer shrugged.
 
“At your service,” came a voice. Arrow and Beast Boy looked to their left to see the two come running up.
 
“What the hell is that thing?” Beast Boy asked.
 
“I think it's an attempt to clone you,” Robin said. “Or rather, the animal DNA you have.”
 
“Obviously, the results have been rather mixed,” said the man in the white coat. “Most of the experiments died within hours, but this one's been living for days.”
 
“You're sick,” Beast Boy said. “You're just sick.”
 
“Sick? Or genius?”
 
“Nope. Definitely sick.” The man growled and lunged at him, but Arrow got to him first. He pushed Beast Boy out of the way and the white-coat sent him toppling over. Beast Boy rushed forward.
 
“Go!” Arrow yelled. “I've got this taken care of!” Beast Boy nodded, and he ran over to help the others.
 
Starfire was in the beast's claws, wiggling every which way trying to get free. She kept firing starbolts, but it just wouldn't let go. Cyborg was hanging around its neck, hoping to cause enough distraction to keep its mind off Batman, who it was attempting to stomp. Beast Boy changed into a tiger and dodged its tentacles, getting in close enough to sink his teeth into its leg. It howled in pain and flung Starfire into the airborne Raven, sending both girls crashing to the floor.
 
“Friend Raven!” Starfire exclaimed. “I am elated to see that you are well!”
 
“Yeah, well I'd be better if you got off of me, Star,” Raven grunted. Starfire reddened.
 
“Many apologies.”
 
Meanwhile, the scientist had thrown off Green Arrow, and was making for the exit. “Ohhh, no you don't,” Arrow whispered, knocking an arrow and taking aim. He heard a yell, and turned to see Robin barely missing losing his head. He looked back; the scientist was still going for the exit. Robin. Scientist. Robin. Scientist. Robin. Scientist. “Dammit…” he muttered. He turned and shot the monster in the shoulder, halting its attack on Robin. When he looked back, the scientist was gone.
 
Robin grimaced. This wasn't looking good. Most of the monster's attention was now back on Starfire, but its tentacles were focused on him.
 
“Robin, help!” she screamed.
 
“I'm a little tied up over here!” he yelled. “Wait a minute…tied up…Raven!”
 
“What?” the sorceress yelled back at him.
 
“Can you flip this thing over?”
 
“I can try. Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos!” The beast flipped over, leaving its belly exposed. Robin fired his grappling hook, and it wrapped around one of its legs. He sprinted around and around all its legs until he had effectively hogtied it.
 
“Are you sure it won't break free?” Beast Boy asked.
 
“Definitely,” Robin replied. “That rope's made from titanium alloy.”
“Titanium alloy? In a rope?!”
“Heh, you didn't think me and Bats swung around on chicken wire, did you?” Everyone (excluding Raven, of course) laughed.
 
“That loony got away,” Arrow scowled.
 
Batman put a hand on his shoulder. “Don't worry about it. The police will pick him up eventually.”
 
He nodded. “Guess we oughta be getting back.” Beast Boy turned. This was his cue to slip out unseen. Just as he was about to clear the group, however, he ran into something hard and metal. He looked up to see Cyborg grinning down at him.
 
“And just where do you think you're going, ya little grass stain?”
 
“I…uh…was just going…”
 
Robin clapped a hand on his shoulder. “You are coming with us,” he said.
 
“What…but I got you guys in all of this tr—YOW!” he yelled as a fist came down on his head, nearly knocking him out. Raven scowled at him.
 
“So expect to pay me back for that,” she said.
 
“But I couldn't…”
 
“Oh yes you can,” Cyborg said. “Don't make me put you on my shoulder like I did with Rae.” Raven smirked, and Beast Boy found himself smiling.
 
“All right…fine.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Blowfish: Yay! BB's here! And if anyone was wondering, that little blurb about racism was just to demonstrate Starfire's innocence and naïveté. And also, I haven't mentioned this, but I was planning on adding more to this story than just origins. I was going to do the rest of their adventures, too. It would not be a boring retelling of the episodes thus far, but another perspective with lots more plot twists and such. Also, I would leave out some insignificant stuff and put in more in between romance-y stuff, among other things. Sound good?
 
Next time: Starfire, Cyborg, Raven, and Beast Boy are staying on the Watchtower, and questions are raised among the League about what to do with the wayward teens. But when a strange visit from Dr. Fate reveals things to come, will Robin be willing to stand by and watch? Find out next chapter! Seeya!