Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Adventures of the Teen Titans ❯ The Winds of Fate ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blowfish: Guess who! Oh wait, I already typed my name. Damn. Anyway, since I updated “Heroes” twice in a row, I thought I'd do the same for this story. After this, it'll go back to normal alternating updates. And this actually works very well, seeing as I had a funny idea as to how to open this chapter. Soooo…
 
wouldntyouliketoknow?: Glad you like it. It'struethattypinglikethisishard.
 
BunnyKat: The guy who does Dr. Fate's voice does do it VERY well. And I just thought he would be appropriate for what's coming up. Heh, the insults won't stop flying between BB and Rae very often, that's for sure. And I wuv Green Arrow too.
 
ninmenju-shin: Yeah! No threats this time! (does the “no-threat” dance) Happy-happy, joy-joy, hap—
 
Chimpy: (smacks Blowfish) NO REN AND STIMPY REFERENCES! IT WAS A SHAMEFUL PERIOD OF OUR LIFE!!!
 
Blowfish: Meep.
 
Chimpy: Anyway, back to your scheduled review response already in progress:
 
ninmenju-shin: Rae and Star are going to have lots of trouble getting along in future chapters. Yeah, if you're looking for fluff, sorry. It will be a long wait for fluff, but I do hope to do a Christmas chapter this month, and maybe VERY small, fluffy hints will seep through there. (I'm already in the Christmas mood; I'm listening to “Sleigh Ride”! You know, the one with the horse and the whip!) But don't worry, if you read, it will come. You like my fight scenes? It's really hard to write them. And on the episodes, I was thinking the same thing. And not only could it be making the series cooler, I want to make it deeper. There are so many instances where I think “Hey, wouldn't it have been even more interesting/meaningful if this had happened.” Not to mention, I get to add ROMANCE! WHOO!
 
Ro: The only problem I ever find with review responses is the risk of giving too much away. Ack…I do love CyRae, but I can't say ANYTHING about pairings yet. Let's just say it gets VERY jumbled and angsty. I hope you like it no matter what.
 
K9: Ahh, someone catches the other reason I added the racism blurb. I toss a cookie to a fantastic analyzer. The scientists were experimenting on him because of his looks and his powers. And I thought someone would like that line with Arrow and BB. (I actually semi-stole that from X-Men: Evolution. n_n;)
 
TTJLFan: Yeah, that was one of my fav comments Cy made in the series, so I decided to put it in there. Captain Atom? It shall be done!
 
Xyteron: Thanks for all of the compliments. J'onn? So it is! I'll have to remember to spell that right from now on.
 
Anubis the guard of the dead: Thanks. Cool name, by the way; I love Egyptian mythology!
 
Grumbumble: Randomness is fun. Yeah, that's Balto. Damn that Steele, messing with Balto's cool tree-scratchings! Ahh, I looooove that movie! Heh, the Bat-Goo… Has it ever struck anyone what egotists heroes are? I mean, Batman has BAT-a-rangs, a BAT-cave, and a BATmobile. And don't even get me started on Professor Xavier. The X-Men, the X-jet, the X-gene (he SO named that himself)—I mean, come ON, how much crap can you name after yourself?!
 
Batman: Well, there is that new line of clothing I'm putting out…
 
Blowfish: …Ahhh…
 
Chimpy: Again, back to the review response…
 
Grumbumble: Yeah, I thought Cy needed some love (he gets so very few fans in the show). I don't know why I just keep adding insignificant characters (Jinsho and his gang, Bob and Devon, etc.) I guess I just like adding humor. Seems like it's working! Something in your garden is on FIRE?! Holy crap! Go put it out!!!
 
Disclaimer: I don't own any of it! Really! WHY DON'T YOU BELIEVE ME?!
 
“talking” `thinking' flashback/Tamaranian
 
Blowfish: Now…onward!
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
“Oh yes! It plays SSBM!”
 
“You shittin' me, boy!”
 
“No, really!”
 
“Awww yeah!”
 
“I wanna be Link!”
 
“You like everything green, don't you?”
 
Beast Boy shrugged. “I am green, aren't I? If I didn't like green, I'd be self-loathing.” Cyborg chuckled.
 
“I think Rae has enough hate that you don't need to be,” he said.
 
“I swear on the name Azar, I'm gonna kill you both,” Raven grumbled.
 
“Why don't you just use your powers?” he asked, grinning.
 
“I...uhhh…”
 
“Aww, is Raven scared `cause she's never been in space before? Or zero-G?”
 
“Shut up!” she yelled, flailing her legs, propelling herself into the window. “I've traveled between dimensions before! I'm not scared of—“
 
“What? The cold, unforgiving vacuum that is just beyond that thin strip of glass?” Raven paused, and used her feet to push away from the glass, only to knock into the other window, making her jerk. The boys laughed.
 
This is why we should've taken Star instead,” Beast Boy snickered. Raven glared at him.
 
“I would've rather you had taken that dunderhead than tying me up and hijacking one of the Javelins!” she spat. “She would probably be ecstatic to be out here—“
 
“If she wasn't such a goody-two-shoes,” muttered the changeling. “She's no fun. With you, we can at least be amused.” Raven scowled, and Beast Boy just sighed. Sure, maybe they would get in trouble for taking one of the League's ships for a joyride, but what did he care? It's not like they were going to be at the Watchtower much longer anyway…
 
Beast Boy was walking down the hall, juggling the three oranges he had gotten from the kitchen. His attempts to keep the citruses aloft were dotted with failure, but he was really getting the hang of it.
 
Life on the Watchtower for the past few days had been good. Everyone (excluding perhaps only Raven) was very nice to him, and Cyborg was a good match at videogames. He was walking past the conference room when he stopped, catching all three oranges. `I wonder what the big guys talk about,' he pondered. Without a second thought, he set his snacks down and transformed into a mouse.
 
Captain Atom (A/N: Here you go, TTJLFan!) walked over, not even noticing the small green rodent at his feet, and put his hand on the pad next to the door. Now Beast Boy was really intrigued; Superman had mentioned that they only locked the door for serious or private matters. He followed the nuclear hero into the conference room and picked up on the conversation immediately.
 
“…need to figure this out sooner or later, Clark,” J'onn said.
 
“True,” Superman, (AKA Clark Kent) said. He turned to Captain Atom. “Glad you could make it, Cap.”
 
“No problem, sir,” he said, giving his superior a salute. Supergirl chuckled from the other side of the room.
 
“At ease, corporal,” she said. Atom's stale expression turned to a small smile. Beast Boy took a moment to survey the group: Among Captain Atom, Supergirl, Superman, and J'onn were Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Batman, and Green Lantern.
 
`Sweet. Exclusive meeting,' Beast Boy thought excitedly.
 
“So Flash isn't here?” Atom asked.
 
“Doing clean-up on the Zandia case,” Green Lantern said.
 
“So…what's up?” There was an uncomfortable silence.
 
“It's the kids,” he said finally. Wonder Woman snorted.
 
“I don't even get why we're having this conversation,” she snarled.
 
“They can't stay here, Diana.”
 
“I see no reason why not.”
 
“They're loud, hindering, unruly, and—“
 
“They have nowhere else to go!”
 
“—And they haven't given us any information we could use to locate anyone to take them in. No family, friends, or—“
 
“Have you even considered that they might not have any?”
 
“They can't stay, and you know it.” Wonder Woman's shoulders sagged and she let out a long sigh. “We did promise to help Starfire find a home on Earth. Maybe someone could take her in—not you, Kara,” he added as Supergirl opened her mouth. She shut it and crossed her arms. “I mean a real home, a real family.”
 
“Fat chance,” Kara said, hanging her head. “Families want little kids, not teenagers. They wouldn't take Star, no matter how much like a kid she is.”
 
“We'll find someone for her. I'm not sure what to do with Raven, though. She wouldn't exactly willingly submit to be adopted, or going anywhere she doesn't want to. She'd probably get as far away from us as possible. I think she wants to already.”
 
“Tell me about it,” Atom said. “That girl's about as slippery as you can get.”
 
“What about Cyborg?” asked J'onn.
 
“We can worry a little less about him; he'll be an adult in few months,” Lantern pointed out.
 
“But what then?” questioned Superman. “He doesn't have any support.”
 
“We can send him to college. He's a smart boy, he could get into any tech school in the country. They'd have a field day with a guy like him. After that, I'm sure he could get a good job.”
 
“Beast Boy?” Green Arrow asked. Beast Boy tensed up.
 
“…I don't know. Maybe adoption or foster care for him, too.”
 
“So those Frankenstein creeps can find him again? Even if they don't, can you imagine what school would be like for him? For any of them? Whether we care to admit it or not, they're not normal!”
 
“Normal or not, he needs a home, Arrow. They all do. There's nothing we can do about that.”
 
“BB? You okay, man?” Cyborg asked, looking concerned. Beast Boy shook away his other thoughts.
 
“Uhh…yeah!” he said brightly.
 
“You went over a minute without annoying me,” Raven grunted. “Something's wrong.”
 
“Nope,” he lied. “Nothin'.”
 
“Oh,” said Cyborg. “Well then…it is my pleasure to tell you that you just got your ass kicked!”
 
“What?!” Beast Boy looked on the small screen to see a blond ninja send a green-clad swordsman flying off the platform and into the abyss.
 
“Haaah! Gotcha!”
 
“Hey…are you playing as Zelda? Ha ha, Cy wants to be a princess!”
 
“Shut up! I only wanted to use Sheik! He rules!”
 
“Link rules more! I want a rematch!”
 
“You're on, little man!”
 
“Ahh, the wonders of testosterone…” Raven muttered. After several rematches, the boys got bored with Super Smash Bros. Melee. Raven was on the verge of falling asleep again when Cyborg poked her. “What?” He pointed out the window.
 
A huge swirling of color was before them. Raven paused and backed away from the window. Seeing the rest of the planet, she smiled.
 
“Saturn,” she said breathlessly. “We're at Saturn.” There was a moment of brief silence and awe within the trio. Then it hit her. “HOLY CRAP, WE”RE AT SATURN!”
 
This slightly obvious revelation shook Cyborg from his trance. “We have enough fuel to get back, right?” he asked Beast Boy. The elfin boy nodded.
 
“Plenty. In fact…”
 
“Ohhhh no,” Raven said, her eyes widening. “Cy, he's got that glint in his eye.”
 
“BB? Don't do anything stupid, now. BB?!” Beast Boy, however, wasn't listening to his mechanical companion. He was too busy staring at a button on the dashboard that read “TURBO DRIVE”. “Ohhhh, BB, don't. Don't! Do—“
 
But before Cyborg could say anything more, Beast Boy slammed his fist down on the button.
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
“Robin?” Starfire asked.
 
“Yeah, Star?” he answered, lowering his magazine. They were on the computer monitor deck. Robin was enjoying Batman's comfortable swivel chair and his own magazine, and Starfire was discovering the wonders of Twinkies.
 
“I have not seen our friends for some time. Where have they gone?”
“Ahh, you know them. Cyborg and Beast Boy are probably playing the latest videogame, and Raven's probably in the library or something.”
 
“But Robin, I have checked the room of recreation, the library, and all of Raven's usual meditation spots. I have been unable to locate her or the boys.”
 
Robin sat forward, setting his chin in his palm. “That is odd…” The mechanized doors “swooshed” open, and Batman and J'onn walked in, arguing.
 
“Javelin X-23 (A/N: I swear, if anyone knows what that's a reference to, I may have to kiss them.) is not deployed on any mission,” J'onn said, sounding uncharacteristically irritated. “It should be in the docks.”
 
“But it's not,” Batman said. “You are the one who keeps track of the Javelins. Where is it?!”
 
”I don't know!” J'onn burst out. Starfire stepped in between them, her mouth partially filled with Twinkie.
 
“Pleaf my frienfs, mo more mean talhkinf,” she said.
 
“What?!” both of them yelled at her. She squeaked and swallowed the rest of the pastry.
 
“You need not argue,” she said softly. “My k'norfka once told me that nothing is accomplished through fighting, it is talking that will solve one's problems. Now…what is it that is wrong?”
 
“One of the Javelins is missing,” Batman scowled.
 
“Javelins? The admirable vessels in the docks?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“So many things missing today…” she observed quietly.
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“I am unable to find Raven, Beast Boy, or Cyborg anywhere. But that is impossible unless they were to leave the Watchtower…” she paused as if something had just dawned on her. Batman's eyes widened, and J'onn and Robin stared at him.
 
Robin looked out the window. “You don't think…” Suddenly, a Javelin tore past the window at unfathomable speeds.
 
“I hate Mondays…” Batman muttered.
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
“One of the most imbecilic, irresponsible things I've EVER seen! What in God's name were you thinking?!”
 
“Err…” Beast Boy murmured, sweating. “Not much…” Raven jabbed him, and Green Lantern threw his hands up in the air, muttering savagely. Wonder Woman and J'onn sighed for about the eighth time, and Superman crossed his arms over his chest. Robin and Starfire were behind them, eager to know what would happen, and Batman was watching with a rather peeved expression. Supergirl and Green Arrow were in the back of the group, looking as if they might burst out laughing any second.
 
“I swear, if I had any hair left to lose—“
 
“We said we were sorry…”
 
“Sorry?! This isn't a `sorry' thing! You don't get off just because you're `sorry'! What you did was dangerous! You could've hurt yourselves!”
 
Beast Boy could feel his anger rising. Lantern had no right to tell him what to do.
 
“I guess you don't get it, so let me give it to you straight: You are under OUR roof! You will abide by OUR rules! You—“
 
“Why do you care, huh?!” Beast Boy screamed, catching everyone off guard. “It's not like you're gonna have us here much longer anyway!” There was a long, shocked silence. “I…I heard you guys the other day. You just can't wait to get rid of us.”
 
Green Arrow stepped forward. “Beast Boy, that's not tru—“
 
“Don't give me any of that! You're gonna toss Cy into college and ship the rest of us off to foster care!” Raven, Cyborg, and Starfire were wide-eyed. “Cy wouldn't last two minutes with all those bozos. They wouldn't understand him. And Star's the only one of us who has a remote chance of getting someone to take care of us. No offense to Rae or anything, but she's not the type that people are looking for. And do you actually think that some couple will want a pointy-eared kid who can become a dinosaur? I mean…I'm used to getting passed around…really, I don't mind that. But did you have to pretend like you cared?”
 
“Beast Boy, we do—“
 
“No! Just…just leave me alone.” He stuffed his hands in his pockets and walked out, the door closing behind him. There was a long pause. Raven let out what sounded like a mixture between a snort and a sigh, and disappeared into the wall. Cyborg quietly walked in the direction Beast Boy had gone, Starfire floating dismally behind him. Robin took a long, hard look at the rest of them, and silently followed his friends.
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Forty-six. Forty-seven. Forty-eight. Forty-nine. Fifty. Fifty-one. Fifty-two. Fifty-three…
 
Raven hit the punching bag a few more times before finally sitting down and taking a swig of water out of her bottle.
 
“Can I join you?” Raven looked up to meet another pair of blue eyes: Robin.
 
“Sure.” Robin sat down and occupied himself with the task of fiddling with a loose thread on his shirt. Raven closed her eyes and leaned back against the wall. After a few minutes of awkward silence, Robin raised his head.
 
“Star won't look at me,” he whispered. Raven didn't open her eyes, but she put her hands behind her head and stretched out her feet in a very relaxed manner.
 
“She's just sad,” Raven yawned. “She doesn't blame you. None of us do.”
 
“But I could've done something. Put a word in. But I just walked away like a coward instead.” Raven nodded.
 
“'He who asks a question is a fool for a moment. He who does not ask a question is a fool forever.'”
 
“Confucius?”
 
“Mmm.”
 
“Well, he's right. I am a fool.”
 
“'We all are for most of our lives.'”
 
“Jean Valjean, Les Miserables.”
 
“Right again.”
 
“Wanna spar?” Robin said suddenly. Raven opened one eye.
 
“Sure.”
 
They threw punches and kicks for half an hour, Robin winning almost every time. But just when he would get cocky, Raven would pin him. During their seventh match, a sudden, brisk wind swept through the room. They both stopped and looked around suspiciously. A light exploded in front of them in the shape of an ankh, causing them to step back. A large figure stepped from the light and only became visible after it had disappeared.
 
It was Dr. Fate.
 
“Man, you scared me doc,” said Robin. “I thought the Watchtower might be under attack or something.”
 
“Hmm. It appears I have missed my destination yet again,” Dr. Fate mused. “How are you, Robin?”
 
“Fine. Where were you trying to go?”
“The conference room. My incessant lack of sleep has been disturbing my aura. It has been making it a difficult task to teleport correctly.”
 
“I think Rae might know what you're talking about.”
 
“Who?”
 
“Oh!” Robin gestured towards Raven. “This is Raven. Raven, meet Dr. Fate.”
 
“Charmed,” she muttered sarcastically. Robin rolled his eyes. Did she have to be impolite to everyone?
 
“Raven, you say?” Fate said, suddenly curious.
 
“Yeah. Why?” she snapped. She was getting very strange vibes from this guy.
 
“No reason,” he said quickly, sticking out his hand. “It's a pleasure to meet you, Raven.” Raven eyed his hand for a moment before shaking it. “No need to be mistrustful,” he laughed. “My intentions are not foul. So, why are you here?” Raven shrugged.
 
“No real reason, I guess.”
 
“You are a guest, I take it.” She nodded. “Oh. Any other guests here presently?”
 
“Yeah!” Robin said. “How'd you know?”
 
“A lucky guess. May I meet them, perhaps?”
 
“Sure.”
 
As the three of them walked down the hall, Raven was getting more and more wary by the second. Something about this guy was beginning to unnerve her. They reached the mess hall to find Beast Boy juggling oranges, Cyborg reading the paper, and Starfire drinking…mustard.
 
“Bleecchh!” Robin said. “God Star, why are you drinking that?!”
 
“It is a most delightful beverage!” she exclaimed. “It reminds me of shnark'nf, a very popular drink on my planet.”
 
“Ooookaaay…” Raven muttered. “I've lost my appetite for the day.”
 
“Who is your friend, the man of gold and blue?”
 
“Dr. Fate, another member of the League.”
 
“Oh!” Starfire said, flying over. “It is pleasant to make your acquaintance, medical man of fate.”
 
“Dr. Fate will do,” Fate said. “I'm not that kind of doctor, anyway. And who are you?”
 
“I am Starfire, warrior of Tamaran! These are my friends, Cyborg and Beast Boy.”
 
“Yo,” Cyborg said from behind the classified section.
 
“What's up, doc?” Beast Boy asked, laughing at his own joke.
 
“It is nice to meet you all,” Fate said kindly.
 
“Yeah, `cept Rave—WHAA!” Beast Boy yelled, as his chair was tipped over by a glowing black zap from Raven's forehead.
 
“Oops,” she said nonchalantly. Beast Boy growled and leapt at her, only to be held back by Cyborg, who was past irritated at this point. Starfire floated between Raven and Beast Boy.
 
“Please friends, no more mean-tal—“
 
“DO shut up,” Raven said, her voice dripping with poison. Starfire squeaked and shrank in the corner.
 
“Hey!” Cyborg yelled. “You got no business being mean to her, Rae! She's just tryin' to be nice!”
 
“Well, maybe I don't need her `niceness'. `Nice' is just another word for pity.”
 
“God, Rae!” Dr. Fate watched from a few feet away quietly. Everything was exactly as he had seen.
 
`I must warn the others before—`
 
“HEY!” Robin's boomed. Everyone was silent. “Beast Boy, calm down. Cyborg, let go of him—NOW. Raven, for the love of God, dry up. And Starfire, don't let them push you around. You guys are acting like a bunch of preschoolers!” There was a long pause. Cyborg released his grip on Beast Boy's shirt, and the green changeling sat down. Raven sat as well, folding and refolding her hands. Starfire straightened and sat next to her.
 
“Now that's more like it,” Robin said, nodding. He turned to Dr. Fate. “Sorry, this isn't the best of times for us…are you okay?” Dr. Fate's eyes were wide. “Err…you okay there, Doc?”
 
“Ahh…yes! I just…err…I remembered something VERY important just now. Must be off. Nice meeting you all!” With that, he dashed down the hall.
 
“That's weird…”
 
“What?” Starfire asked.
 
“He's normally…very calm. Very collected. That lack of sleep must really be taking its toll on the poor guy.” Robin laughed. “Didn't think he did sleep.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Dr. Fate burst through the door to the conference room, where the Flash had now joined the deliberation on what should happen to their teenage guests. They all turned to him.
 
“What's wrong, Fate?” Flash asked.
 
“I have important things to show you,” he said.
 
“Can it wait?” Supergirl asked.
 
“Actually, it has much to do with what you are debating about.”
 
“The kids?” Green Lantern questioned, his brow furrowing.
 
“Yes. These past nights, I have been plagued by nightmarish visions involving four youths.”
 
“Starfire, Cyborg, Raven, and Beast Boy?”
 
“Yes. I did not know their location, but I met them here by chance. Needless to say, I was quite surprised that they would be here. Of all places…”
 
“What exactly did these visions entail?”
 
“I...I can think of no better way than to show you,” Fate said. He conjured an ankh, but as opposed to the bright portals that he traveled through, this one was larger, and was only a dark void. “I shall project my visions here, and tell you what I have discovered through them.”
 
“Wait a second,” Green Arrow interrupted, stepping forward. “Are these dreams you had going to come true? Is that why you're showing us?”
 
“I can only say that without intervention, the chances of my visions becoming reality are very high.”
 
“All right then, let's see.”
 
The void twisted and melted into itself, almost looking like it was some sort of liquid. Colors like none they had never seen swirled and took form. There was a large fleet of spacecrafts guarding a white and magenta-colored planet. Another fleet was advancing, and began attacking.
 
“Tamaranian and Gordanian battle-cruisers,” J'onn breathed. “And…that's Tamaran. But they haven't been in an actual battle with the Gordanians in years!”
 
“Yes,” Fate answered. “But the Gordanians have located the Grand Empress-to-be, Koriand'r.”
 
“Starfire!”
 
“Yes. She will return to Tamaran, seeing there is no place for her on Earth. The Gordanians, knowing she is on her planet, will not hesitate any longer to attack it and kill her.”
 
The scene shifted to the bridge of one of the ships, where Starfire, adorned in far thicker armor, was shouting orders to her crew. The ship was wracked with a barrage of blasts, and Starfire was thrown from her seat. A stocky Tamaranian with long, fiery hair and a bad eye was running towards her, but a control panel exploded in his face. Starfire could see through the window of her ship: A large laser cannon from another vessel was staring her in the face. The warrior stood up straight, her eyes filled with pride and anger.
 
The cannon fired, and the ankh turned a blinding white. Supergirl looked horrified.
 
“She…died…” she said hoarsely.
 
“There is no more of Starfire's story,” Fate said. “But see now, as another tale forms…” The ankh's colors swirled again, and a large building came into view. It had a large `H' on the side. The picture went to the inside of the building, where there was an old man with a long, thing face was sitting in a chair. He grinned, and looked to the person at the computer in front of him.
 
“Cyborg!” Lantern cried. The old man stood up, walked over to Cyborg, and put a hand on his shoulder.
 
“Are you ready, Cyborg?” he asked.
 
Cyborg grinned a malicious, evil grin. “More than ever.”
 
“Ahh, I knew you would be my star pupil from the moment I set eyes on you? He is a fine young man, isn't he, Jinx?” A pink-haired girl stepped from the shadows, and locked her hand in Cyborg's.
 
“Yes he is, Master,” Jinx said, smiling up at him, winking one of her catlike eyes. Cyborg returned the smile and held his hand above a button on the keyboard.
 
“Target: Justice League Watchtower,” he said. The computer's monitor changed, showing the Watchtower.
 
“No,” Lantern whispered.
 
“Missiles one, two, three, and four…FIRE!” Cyborg yelled, slamming the button. On the monitor, four missiles launched into the sky.
 
And Cyborg laughed.
 
The ankh turned blank again. Now everyone was completely shocked.
 
“He…he wouldn't,” Lantern said. “Cyborg wouldn't do that.”
 
“Not the Cyborg you know now,” Fate said. “But one corrupted by hate and anger, one influenced by the wrong people…that Cyborg would be capable of anything. And the nightmare, unfortunately, is not over.”
 
The ankh burst into fire, making all present step back. In this image, bodies lay all around. There were men, women, and even children strewn everywhere, some with their eyes still open with terror imprinted on their features. Some eye sockets eyes were empty, and limbs were missing. The fire from the building cast a orange and yellow glow on everything, tinting it in the colors.
 
But mostly, there was red.
 
Blood was spilled everywhere, mostly in pools around the corpses. The observers of this scene were now particularly mortified; some of them were finding it hard to even keep their lunch down. Suddenly, there came a silhouette of a man. He stepped from the fire, a shotgun in hand.
 
Wonder Woman looked enraged. “Was he the one who did this?”
 
Fate looked at her. “No. You shall see the culprit in a moment.”
 
The man looked bruised and weary, and was in a daze. Suddenly, a sound snapped him out of his trance. He looked up, and a mixture of fear and rage passed over his face. He brought his shotgun to his shoulder and cocked it. The picture panned out, and another figure was visible: A short, gangly, female form.
 
It was none other than Raven, her hands dripping with blood.
 
“Oh great Hera…” Wonder Woman said, her voice trembling.
 
Raven's face became visible, and the entire company's jaws dropped. There was another set of eyes just above her normal ones—of course, not so normal anymore. All four eyes were glowing red. A wide smile was plastered on her face, lined with razor-sharp teeth. She looked as if she was the happiest person in the world. The man let out a cry of rage and fired. The shots were on target, but Raven barely flinched. The two shells fell from her chest, leaving no mark. She chuckled, and muttered in some tongue that no one understood. The man was flung into the fire, and he screamed and writhed. Then, he was silent. Raven just kept on smiling.
 
“Wh…what in Tartarus happened to her?” Wonder Woman asked.
 
“She has surrendered to her demonic nature,” Fate said. “Destruction and death please her, and she is practically unstoppable. Now…there is one more vision we must witness.”
 
The ankh darkened, and a full moon became visible over a deserted city street. There was a distant snarling and the sound of a man's voice. A large shadowy form and a much smaller one strode down the street. The moonlight shined down on the pair. The man was in a long trench coat, and a hat cast shadow on his face. The other form was a large, menacing, manlike beast, with a thick coat of green fur. It was snarling, but a glare from its companion silenced it.
 
“Don't worry,” the man said. “I'm sure we'll feed nicely tonight.”
 
“I know that voice!” Arrow cried suddenly. “It's that nutty scientist!” (A/N: I wanted to say professor, but I resisted; it would have made this a little too corny to bear.)
 
Flash's face became as white as a sheet. “Then that…thing…must be…”
 
“Beast Boy!”
 
“Without any guidance, he became an aimless traveler,” Fate said. “And that man transformed him into something horrible: a monster. With an invincible beast at his side, he was able to rule that city.” With Dr. Fate's last word, the ankh disappeared.
 
“Good Lord…” Superman whispered.
 
Fate stepped forward. “I was concerned a short time ago that these futures would be unpreventable, but I have seen something that has changed my mind.”
 
“What?” Batman asked curiously.
 
“These young people possess amazing talent. You have seen this, yes?”
 
“Have we ever. They're a little rough around the edges, maybe, but they have such potential…”
 
“Ahh…potential. That's what this is all about. The four clash together, but are disastrous apart. They require balance. A leader. Someone who can set their quarrels at rest. And I believe I know the perfect person who can do this, as I have witnessed his ability myself.”
 
“Who?”
 
“Robin. He is able to fend off Raven's insults, to douse Beast Boy's rage, to channel Cyborg's eagerness, and to comfort Starfire. He is what they need to survive. He is their balance.”
 
“So…what do you intend to do?” Batman asked, already knowing that no matter Fate's answer, he would probably conflict with it. No one was doing anything with Robin.
 
“Their talents should be put to use. I have had other visions, visions of things they could do other than what I have shown you. But they need to work together. And their work needs to start in Jump City.”
 
“And what do you expect to do? Just dump them on the sidewalk and say `Oh yeah, make sure you pick up my coffee and save the world before nine'?!”
 
“Bruce—“
 
“NO! Robin's not going ANYWHERE!” There was a long pause, and the rest of the group was leaned forward in suspense. Fate stepped forward and put both hands on Batman's shoulders.
 
“You have to let him go, Bruce. He'll be a man soon. You can't keep him in your ivory castle forever.”
 
“I would hardly call it an `ivory castle'.”
 
“Whatever you would wish to call it, you cannot hold him there.” Fate's voice grew softer. “He is destined for great things, Bruce. He will do good, just as you have. But he has to make his own way, take his own path. You know it's true.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Three days later, all which needed saying had been said. The League had decided it would be best not to show Fate's visions, but only explain that there was great need for the teens in Jump City. They also thought that Robin should lead. Oddly enough, there was no objection from the others.
 
“Can't think of anyone better,” Cyborg said solemnly. He and Raven had duffel bags slung over their shoulders, and Starfire and Beast Boy had small backpacks carrying their few possessions. Robin things would be moved from Wayne Manor.
 
“Agreed,” Starfire said. “You will make a most wonderful and effective leader! You have all of the qualities required on my planet to be made a captain of a squad!” This had been an attempt to lift her friend's spirit, but he remained silent. The League came forward. Wonder Woman shifted uncomfortably.
 
“Guess this is goodbye,” she said.
 
“Yeah…” muttered Raven. “Where are we staying, anyway?” Dr. Fate stepped from the crowd.
 
“I've made temporary arrangements at a hotel. I will bring you there and depart once you have settled. As soon as I have completed my plans for a more permanent home, I shall contact you again.”
 
“Ah. Thanks.”
 
“Think nothing of it.”
 
“Was nice meetin' you guys,” Beast Boy said. “Never thought I'd actually meet the JL. Been real cool hangin' with ya.”
“Same here, BB,” Green Arrow said, shaking his hand.
 
Robin saw Batman behind Superman, seeming almost as if he was hiding. Superman discovered this and moved to the side, nudging his teammate. Batman came forward, looking awkward.
 
“Umm…I'm not so good at goodbyes…” he stammered.
 
Robin smiled for the first time in hours. “It's not really goodbye though, is it?” Batman looked a little surprised. “It's just…see you later.” He hugged his mentor hard. Batman, though not used to such a gesture, smiled and hugged a little back. Robin stepped backward onto the transportation pad with his friends and Dr. Fate. Just as they were evanescing into the light, Batman smiled again.
 
“Yeah…see you later.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Blowfish: God, that was LOOOOONG! Hoped you guys liked it though! Not much more to say, except that I've got a lot of reading to do. A lot of my fav stories have been updated, and I've been too busy to read them. And I still have to read N-shin's fics. I'll get around to it, though!
 
Next time: Well, the Teen Titans are in town! But where to start? The bank robbers? The purse-snatchers? Or those nasty train hijackers? Get ready for one action-packed chapter next time! Seeya!