Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Incredible Beast ❯ Part two: Things Revealed ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Beast-Boy's Voice)
 
“Here are some scenes from the last exciting episode of “The Incredible Beast”
 
 
After two long years of being separated from each other by his supposed death; Garfield and his long lost Fiancée, and love of his life, Terra Markov were happily reunited.
 
Garfield does not inform Terra about the problem he has dwelling within him, nor do, but reluctantly agrees to stay with her.
 
Terra, studying to be a geologist; hersuperior, Dr. Granite, and his assistant Slade invite Garfield out with them on a gem hunting expedition. Unaware that it appears that Slade seems to be planning something dastardly.
 
 
FINAL EPISODE
 
(Part two)
 
 
The sun shone brightly that early morning, and the prairie went from cold to warm, to hot again. Everyone was well awake, and finished their breakfast. Then Terra helped everyone saddle the horses from the barn…
 
And it was a good thing Garfield had remembered his riding-skills from years ago at Summer Camps. All four of them, mounted and packed for the expedition were just standing at the start of the trail as Granite read the map.
 
Slade was feeling slightly grump as he had to drive a chuck-wagon filled with all the camping supplies, which meant he would be a little slower than all the others. He was also keeping a sharp eye on Granite at the head of the gang. “Just a little longer… then it will all be over.” he muttered to himself.
 
Terra couldn't hear him, but she kept eyeing him with a look of concern in her eyes. “You okay Terra…?” Garfield asked.
 
Terra moved Rocky closer so she could whisper to him, “There's something about Slade…” she explained. “He's acting all strange, and secretive. It's as if he knows something we don't.”
 
Garfield admitted he was feeling the same way. He didn't tell her though that he was secretly feeling uneasy about this trip… what if he got angry…? What IT happened…?
 
“What's the matter?” Terra asked.
 
Her Fiancée snapped out of it. “It's nothing…”
 
Just then, Granite signaled everyone, “Right then... listen up there.” he said, “According to my calculations, the best sight to start looking for what we seek may lie well beyond those mountains. If we start off now we should be there just in time for camp assembly and a break for lunch before we start on the heavy work.”
 
“Everybody set…?”
 
Terra and Garfield nodded, and so did Slade, “Right then… follow me. AH-HA…!” and he galloped away on his horse. Terra gazed at Garfield, “You ready…?” she asked playfully.
 
Garfield smiled at her, “Let's do this… HARGH…!” and both he and Terra took off after Granite, with Slade bringing up the rear.
 
It sure felt nice to be riding on the open prairies, and Garfield couldn't remember the last time he had so much fun. He gazed over at Terra, and he couldn't help but sigh at how proud she looked riding Rocky like that.
 
Eventually they stopped the horses a couple of times to give them a little rest and by midday the team ended up at their destination. “Whoa…!” Granite yelled. “Right… here we are… everyone dismount.”
 
Garfield and Terra dismounted their horses, and Slade got out from the wagon, and first thing done was Slade hammered a huge post into the ground with Garfield's help, and the horses were all tied safely to it so they wouldn't run away.
 
It was a nice quiet place near the mountain-trails where the minerals and formations were at their richest. Camp was set up. Slade and Granite would sleep in one tent, while Garfield and Terra would sleep in another.
 
After everything was set up, and lunch was eaten. It was time to begin research and exploration.
 
Granite showed the others the charts he had brought. “Now the nearest area we can sample a half a-mile hike from our camp.” he said, “With the rock formations and the soil… we should have promising results.”
 
Slade however was not looking forward to the fact that they had to walk. “Would it not be easy if we were to just take the horses…?” he asked.
 
The others all shook their heads, “I'm afraid that won't be possible.” said Granite, “And who can tell me why…?”
 
Terra decided to answer, “Okay… I know this…” she muttered feeling nervous, but she took in a huge breath, “Because… the rock-formations and decaying form over the years around areas like this would cause the soil to sag. It will be strong enough to support our weight, but not the weight of the horses. Especially if we were riding them and our extra weight was added.”
 
“Very good, Terra…” Granite said. “Yes... it will be much safe if we hike there on foot, but not so far as to abandon the campsite so that we cannot see it. After all, this is a country where Cougars and Mountain Lions are well found in packs.”
 
Garfield interject with, “Perhaps… but it also proven that the packs only hunt at night, and the chances are only one or two will be out hunting in the daytime.”
 
Granite was impressed, “Excellently said…” he complimented. Then he gave final instructions, and everyone geared-up and they were off. Garfield sure was deep in thought as they hiked along…
 
During his travels he had seen plenty of terrains like this; if he wasn't able to hitch a ride he would cut across fields, and sometimes sleep under trees with a sleeping bag he would have.
 
It really pained to realize how long he had been on the run…
 
Terra got the feeling, from the looks on her beloved's face, that there was something he wasn't telling her. Possibly something more than just the death of Rita, but she didn't have much a chance to ask as she couldn't stop hiking.
 
Her knapsacks and satchels sure felt heavy, but not as heavy as the ones Slade was carrying. He was carrying pretty much most of the really heavy stuff, while Granite himself wasn't carry very much at all but the map and compass.
 
Still he kept well to himself “That old Git would soon get what was coming to him. He rolled his eyes to gaze a small black back that he himself had brought along. Something of great interest seemed to strike him of the contents of the bag…
 
 
Soon, they arrived at the perfect sight near the foot of a small mountain, in of which the area was loaded with interesting rock formations, and soft soils. “Right then… you all know what to do?” Granite asked rhetorically, “Let's hop to it… we shall head back to camp at sundown.”
 
With that settled, everyone got out their tools, and picked areas to begin exploring. Slade offered to head up the mountain for higher levels of study. Granite agreed, “I say old' chap… do be careful on that mountain.” He warned him, “Any shock, or suddenly great-dislodgement of any of those formations will cause the entire mountain side to crash down upon us…”
 
Slade assured him he was well aware, and grabbed his gear before heading off. “That's exactly what I'm hoping for…” he muttered when he was out of sight.
 
All the rest of that day, Garfield and Terra were strolling along, studying the rock samples they chipped off, and documenting their findings for Granite to examine. The more samples they collected, which turned out to be incorrect, the closer they would be to finding. Kimberlite or ramporite.
 
“Ahh… Satisfactory. Most satisfactory.” Granite kept chirping. “You two certainly have collected a fine set of samples to last me ten universal educations. Well done.”
 
Garfield and Terra smiled at each other, but then they noticed, “Where's Slade…?” Terra asked.
 
Granite looked up, “Strange. He hasn't returned yet…”
 
Everyone wondered what he could possibly be doing that long up on the mountain trail…
 
 
Slade was digging, bit not to search for anything of any sort, but he was in fact burying a few small items in the areas that he dug. Some of them were even beeping, and a soft flash of red lights could be seen through the wrapping.
 
Slade was sniggering wickedly as he buried the last one. Then he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small remote control. The Green light was flashing, meaning the remote was working…
 
The yellow light would flash when it was armed…
 
But the last light, which was red… he couldn't wait for that one to shine. “Hmm, mm, mm…”
 
Suddenly he realized the sun was setting and he could actually see a signal flare from down below. It was Granite telling him to come down at once, as it was time to head back to camp.
 
Slade grumbled, but his anger began to fade when he realized what was going to happen real soon. “Sooner than they all think…”
 
 
Back at camp, a fire was burning bright as Granite was cooking up his world famous English-Chile for dinner, luckily, there were also some leftover cooked vegetables for Garfield. He was strictly a vegan. No exceptions… not even for a desperate bite.
 
It was a beautiful night; the moon was full, and the stars were shining like diamonds, but Terra, who was sitting by herself, was only interested in one diamond, and that was the one on the ring on her finger.
 
She just sat there, starring down at it, and playfully adjusting it. She could even feel herself slipping away into her deep thoughts; the same dream she would have every time she got into this mood…
 
If Garfield had never went away, she always dreamed that their promise to each other would be fulfilled…
 
There she was all dressed a beautiful white gown, and peeking through the transparency of the long veil over her head, starring into Garfield's eyes.
 
Then, she would gaze down at her finger where Garfield would be exchanging the engagement ring, for a golden ring; the one that finally sealed the deal… and he would take her as his wife.
 
Then… he would raise her veil over her head… take her in his arms… their eyes would slowly close… their lips would be just centimeters away from contact--!
 
KAPOW!
 
The ground would explode, and Garfield would be blown into oblivion, “TERRAAA…!”
 
Terra was devastated… her whole dream had turned into a nightmare. “Garfield…? Garfield!” she cried, but he was gone… he had left her, again!
 
Then it got worse, as she saw IT; that huge creature that was wanted for murder and it looked as if it was coming for her next.
 
 
That was when she woke up, and shook herself awake. “Ooh…!”
 
“Penny for your thoughts…?” Garfield asked as he sat down beside her.
 
Terra gazed at him and smiled, “Oh, it's nothing…” she said as she rested her head on his shoulder, and he pecked the top of her head.
 
Granite could see them from way over by the fire, “My word…” he said “If I had known better I'd dare say those two have some sort of special arrangement.”
 
Slade, rolled his eyes, “It certainly looked like it.” he said, “It seems Terra harbors a deep affection for that man.” And then he thought it would only make him sorrier to see two young lovers who would soon have all eternity…!
 
Terra and Garfield were still sitting by themselves away from the campsite; for their own personal alone time. They even shared a warm, romantic embrace, and Terra couldn't bare it anymore…
 
When they separated, she held Garfield's hands, “Marry me, Garfield!”
 
Garfield almost felt shocked to hear her say that, “W-W-What…?” he asked.
 
Terra rested her head on his chest. “Why not…?” she said. “I can't bear this anymore… I love you. I want to be with you…”
 
Garfield absolutely had no idea of what to say to her. Nothing would make him happier than make her his wife like he always dreamed, but… what about the creature? Apart from it being dangerously out of his control still, he was still wanted for murder that couldn't be proven… he'd be dragging her into his dilemma.
 
What was he going to do? What could he do…?
 
“What is it…?” Terra asked. “What's the matter…?”
 
Garfield didn't even know how to answer her this time. “Well… it's just that-- well… I…”
 
“Garfield… what are you hiding from me?” Terra asked. “You've been keeping something from me ever since you came here.”
 
Garfield was running out of excuses, and he was starting to think it would be best if he told her, but just as he was about to, Terra just let it be, “Never mind…” she simply said, “Just think about… okay…?” she pecked him on the cheek before turning in for the night.
 
Poor Garfield, his heart was all torn up. “Terra…” he whispered, “If only I could tell you the awful truth.”
 
A while later… everyone had turned in for the night. The tents were strong, and the sleeping bags were warm and cozy. Granite was sound asleep in his shared tent with Slade, and so were Garfield and Terra in the tent opposite from that one.
 
Suddenly, Terra heard a noise, “Hmm…?” the sound of someone hitching up one of the horses. Terra got up and peeked outside just in time to see Slade taking off on Granite's horse.
 
“Slade…!” she called after him, but Slade had already galloped out of sight. Terra couldn't wake the others, there was no time. Luckily she was still dressed, and Rocky was still there. So she tacked up and perused him.
 
 
Garfield hadn't heard her leave however because he was dreaming again. No, it wasn't any nightmares this time…
 
 
He found himself in a misty meadow. The fog was so thick and bright you couldn't see pretty much anything. “Where am I…?” he asked particularly no one.
 
Suddenly and heavily light began to shine from above and there before his eyes. “Dude… no way.”
 
Three familiar people, Garfield knew too well, but had long since been deceased, now stood before him. “Mom…? Dad…? Rita…?”
 
“Hello, Garfield…” Rita said.
 
“Hello, Son…” said Mrs. Logan.
 
“Hello, my boy…” said Mr. Logan.
 
Garfield's eyes were filling with tear of happiness, “You're… you're here…!” he cried, “You're all really here.”
 
He would have rushed right at them and hugged them all, but his mother warned him, “We're only here in the dreams in your heart. We can't hug or touch you.”
 
Garfield felt his heart breaking again, but he had to be brave. “Why have you all come to me?” he asked.
 
They each explained to him in their own way how much he couldn't keep doing what he was doing to himself; Running away from his troubles, and torturing himself and Terra. “Son… you must tell her the truth.” said Mr. Logan.
 
Garfield shook his head nervously, “No…! No… I just can't.”
 
“You can, Garfield…” said Rita. “Remember… you told me, and we were able to determine what had happened to you.”
 
Garfield tried to protest, but the parents wouldn't hear of it. They knew how much he loved Terra, and how they belonged together, no matter what the rest of the world thought.
 
“Remember who you are…” said Rita. “You love her, and you'd do anything to protect her, and the same would feel for the beast.”
 
Garfield realized that was true. His inner monster only seemed to attack villains, or hurt creatures that posed as threats. Maybe he would be able to tell her.
 
Tell her that he was really a ferocious beast, driven by rage, and smashes up things?
 
He tried to ask his loved ones more, but they were already starting to fade away. “Wait… don't go… not yet!”
 
His parents were waving at him, and Rita's voice was trailing off, saying over and over “Remember… who you are…!
 
 
Finally… he woke up, and realized he was back in the tent. He hadn't lost his temper, thank goodness, but he was all torn up again. Should he tell Terra the truth… or not.
 
He turned to look over where his beloved was supposed to be sleeping, but, “Terra…?” she was gone. Garfield looked outside; two of the horses were missing.
 
It was dark, but not dark enough that he could see the horses' footprints in the ground. He looked in Granite's tent, the old-chap was fast asleep, but Slade was gone too. “I knew there was something I didn't like about that guy.”
 
He now had another dilemma. He realized that Terra rode off into the prairie, late at night, where cougar and mountain lion packs marked as their territory for hunting, but was it wise to leave Granite all alone…?
 
He thought it over for a moment, and realized that Granite was an experienced hiker, and he obviously could take care of himself. So he tacked up his own horse, and took off into the night following the footprints. “Terra…!” he called. “TERRA…!”
 
 
Terra had been riding for a while now, but she seemed no closer to tracking down Slade. “Where could he have gone…?” she wondered.
 
Suddenly, Rocky stopped and cried in fear, nearly throwing Terra off his back, “Whoa… easy boy.” She said as she struggled for control, but then she saw up ahead what spooked him, “AH…!” she gasped.
 
…Cougars and mountain-lions growling and roaring at the both of them. Terra's only option was to head the other way, “HI-YA…!” and the chase began.
 
At least a dozen of those fowl creatures were chasing her; across the prairie. Through the vegetation, bushes, and lone trees, but those ugly brutes just wouldn't give up.
 
 
At the same time, Garfield had been riding along his way too until he heard the sound of Terra screaming, “HELP…”
 
“Terra…?”
 
Garfield suddenly could see down the hill, the moonlight lit up the fields he could see her being chased by the cougars and mountain lions. “TERRA…!” he cried. He forced his horse to rush down the hill like a rocket. “I'm coming!”
 
Poor Rocky was determined to go as fast he could. He wouldn't let those creatures lay a finger on Terra, but suddenly… out of no where. Another Cougar pack leapt out from the darkness and spooked him.
 
He bucked and cried in fear and Terra finally fell off. “OH…!” she and Rocky were trapped by the many vicious creatures. Terra felt like this was the end.
 
“Terra…!” cried Garfield as he rode to her side, but suddenly, the cougars, and mountain lions scared his horse as well and he fell off. “Whoa…!” and landed with a huge thud “AAH…!”
 
“Garfield…!” Terra cried.
 
Then it got worse as a mountain lion grabbed Garfield's shoe in it's jaws. “OH!... YEOW…!” it was trying to eat him alive. “NO…!” Terra cried, but she and Rocky had their own problems to worry about as the creatures were ready to pounce her.
 
As for Garfield, “No… let go of me!” he roared.
 
SNAP!
 
His eyes began to glow, and he began to transform again. The mountain lion suddenly ran off scared when it realized what was going on as the beast emerged!
 
Terra screamed, as a cougar dashed at her ready to strike, but suddenly it got grabbed by the beast; who picked it up and ROARED at the fowl create so loudly… that the cougar actually died of fear.
 
Terra couldn't believe it. She was never dreaming. There really was a huge beast, and it had just saved her. The creature threw the dead animal away, and then gazed down at Terra.
 
Then… it gazed over at the many mountain lions and cougars left. Those creeps looked like they wanted a fight. BOOM! The creature lunged right at them…
 
Punching the cougars with its huge fists, and scarring the mountain lions off with his fowl ROARING!
 
Terra couldn't believe her eyes.
 
The creature was badly outnumbered, and got tackled, scratched, and bitten many times, in many areas, but he still fought them off… punching, kicking, biting, and roaring right back. Finally, half the pack was killed, and the rest just ran away.
 
The creature seemed exhausted. He had bites, and scratches all over his huge body, but it looked as if he'd be okay.
 
Terra cautiously approached the creature, trying to show him she didn't mean any harm. The creature looked deep into her eyes, and she looked into his huge green eyes. “You saved my life.” she pepped.
 
The creature grunted softly as if he were confused, and then slowly raised his huge hand, and gently creased her face. Terra held up her hand and place it over the creature's hand. The creature wasn't sure what this was, but he sort of liked it…
 
That's when the metamorphosis began to drain out again. Terra watched in the most utter amazement and shock as the creature began to shrink down and vanish… and, “No…?” she cried softly.
 
Garfield rubbed his eyes, and held his head as he swayed back and forth. His head ached, but his injuries had all healed, much to Terra's amazement. When Garfield came too, “Terra…?”
 
He took one look at her wide-eyed, nervous expression, as well as he was wearing only his shredded shirt and pants now. “Did… did you... see--?”
 
Terra nodded nervously.
 
Garfield knew he was busted now, but he was also shivering in the coldness of the prairie at night. “Come on… we better get back to camp.” she said, “I don't want you catching a cold.”
 
Luckily their horses hadn't run away, and so they were off. No more of the wild animals bothered them, and they were going to have a safe journey…
 
 
While at camp, Granite was no longer in his tent, but in fact, he was tied up, and being mounted onto Slade's horse.
 
Terra never caught up with the, now classified, villain, and he was now taking Granite hostage. “Don't worry old fool… I won't kill you… yet.” He hissed at the bounded, gagged geologist. Then he mounted his horse and they both took off into the night straight towards the mountains, near the very ones that Slade had been working at…!
 
To Be Continued