Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Incredible Beast ❯ Part Three: A Beauty and Her Beast ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Beast-Boy's voice)
 
“Here are some scenes from the last exciting episode of “The Incredible Beast”
 
 
Dr. Granite, Terra, and Garfield had set out on the excavation expedition, unaware that Granite's assistant Slade was planning a trap for the three heroes.
 
Meanwhile, Terra re-proposes marriage to Garfield, and asks him to think about it, which suddenly leads to chasing Slade down the Prairie. Terra gets attacked by Mountain lions and Cougars, and Garfield rushes to her rescue where she witnesses his metamorphosis into the beast.
 
Upon their return to camp,they are too lat to even realize that Slade had kidnapped Granite and carrying him off as hostage.
 
 
FINAL EPISODE
 
(Part Three)
 
Terra and Garfield returned to camp, Terra started up another fire, and Garfield got on a fresh set of clothes. They both shared a pot of hot cocoa, “Ahh…” Garfield sighed, “That's much better.”
 
He noticed that Terra was still starring at him very awkwardly. She was not only still shocked from what she saw when he had transformed before her eyes, but all those injuries he had had nearly healed entirely.
 
“Garfield… what was that?” she asked. “What was that… thing?”
 
Garfield knew he wouldn't be able to lie his way out of it this time, and he did think about what he saw in his dream about his parents telling him, “Remember, who you are…”
 
“Garfield, please…” Terra nearly begged, “Tell me the truth.”
 
Garfield sighed, “You win… I'll tell you.” He promised.
 
 
He explained to her of how two years ago when he and Rita were researching how to tap into the super-human strengths that people could summon up in times of peril, they had discovered that high levels of gamma rays caused by sunspots within the DNA chromosomes were the cause.
 
Garfield also determined that the reason he couldn't summon up the strength to save his parents when they died in the boat was because his accident occurred in an area with the least sunspot activity.
 
He also determined that the gamma-levels of his own DNA were low, very low. He wouldn't had been able to summon forth the strength in any case.
 
 
“So… What did you do after that?” Terra asked.
 
Garfield was silent for a moment, as remembering what he did was really a kick in the pants for him. If only he hadn't done it…
 
“I… I wanted to test out my theory and try to increase the levels within my body.” he said, “So I--” he paused again, “I bombarded myself with gamma-radiation.”
 
Terra dropped her cup, “You did what…?”
 
Garfield nodded and he continued to explain everything…
 
 
“RE-CAP/ INTRO”
 
Garfield Logan…
 
Boy Genius/Scientific assistant; Searching for a way to tap into the hidden strengths that all humans have…
 
Then an accidental overdose of gamma radiation alters his body chemistry.
 
 
He explained how later than evening he had a flat tire in a thunder-storm, and was really getting frustrated as he tried to change it. In his haste he had injured his hand… “AOW… AAA-AAAH…!”
 
 
And now when Garfield Logan grows angry or outraged, a startling metamorphosis occurs!
 
 
SNAP!
 
First, his eyes would begin to glow as he felt the anger boiling up inside of him. Then he would find himself slipping away as he slowly began to transform into this fierce werewolf-like creature!
 
“THE INCREDIBLE BEAST”
 
 
Terra held her heart in the uttermost shock and horror. “Oh, Garfield!” she cried.
 
Garfield nodded shamefully, and continued to explain that he had no awareness of what went, until after he changed back with no memory of anything that happened while the beast was out.
 
But what he did know…
 
 
The creature is driven by rage, and perused by the daughters of investigative reporters.
 
 
“Jackie and Jillian…?” Terra couldn't believe it.
 
Garfield continued to explain that those two and their fathers had been following him practically everywhere.
 
 
“Girls, please… don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.”
 
 
Garfield explained how Rita was the only other person to know, and actually determine what had happened to him, but as they tried to experiment and figure a way to either reverse the process or control the metamorphosis…
 
The lab blew up, and Rita died.
 
 
An accidental explosion too the life of a fellow scientist and supposedly Garfield Logan as well
 
The reporters and their daughters believe the creature was responsible.
 
“We gave the description to all the law enforcement agencies. They've got a warrant for murder out on him.”
 
A murder which Garfield Logan can never prove he or the creature didn't commit.
 
 
Terra was livid that Jackie and Jillian would think up something like that. “Murder…? You…? I don't believe it.” she snapped, “But wait… why didn't you do anything about that?”
 
Garfield explained that he was too ashamed to come forth. It wasn't just the fact that he was wanted for murder, but the fact that the creature was so dangerous, he couldn't risk it…
 
It would mean putting more people in danger. So just after the funeral he visited both Rita's grave, and his own.
 
 
“Garfield Mark Logan”
 
“Rita Farr Dayton”
 
Garfield Logan is believed to be dead…
 
And he must let the world think that he IS dead until he can find a way to control the raging spirit that dwells within him.
 
 
Terra could finally see why he was acting so strange, and why he was hesitant to want to marry her… he was afraid of hurting her.
 
Garfield continued to explain that after he was presumed dead, and the creature wanted for murder… he was forced to go into hiding while trying to find a cure for his condition. Endlessly drifting from place to place, assuming different identities and odd jobs to support himself and sometimes to enable his research.
 
But with Jackie, Jillian,a nd their reporter fathers always chanig him down to get the scoop on the creature, whom they believed got away with a double-murder…
 
Even though the Beast is innocent, and very often actuall helped people who were in danger, and changed thei rlives for the better…
 
Nonetheless, Garfield was always force to flee, scared that publicity over the Beast's 'rampages' will eventually bring unwanted scrutiny of him from the local authorities and/other girls and their dads.
 
(Sad Piano music)
 
All his adventures ended with Garfield hitch-hiking down some outbound highway or road, with a sense of hopelessness running through his mind and heart: the quest of a frightened, lonely young-man desperate to one day find the cure that will bring him peace, an end to his endless running, and the ability to reclaim a normal life.
 
“The creature is wanted for murder; A murder that I can't prove that IT nor I didn't commit. You'd be harboring and aiding a fugitive.”
 
“Besides… I have no control over that thing when it breaks out. It even happens when I dream. Would you really want me to stay here, transform and then smash everything up all the time…?”
 
“I have to keep on moving until I can find a cure that will make sure that it never happens again, or someone could get hurt.”
 
Garfield sighed and hung his head in shame, “Not a day went by that I didn't think back to you.” he said to Terra, “I can only imagine what I must've put you through, but I didn't have any other choice.”
 
Terra was speechless. She had absolutely no idea of what to say. It was as if Garfield was afraid of his own self, or what he could do, but she did remember that the creature did fight off the wild beasts to protect her.
 
“And that night… when I saw you in the bedroom… you didn't even touch Me.” she said. “You just gazed at me strangely and then left.”
 
Garfield nodded and told her that part of his discovery was that the creature seemed to only show hatred and rage towards villains, things of threat, or whenever he himself was in danger. “But… I just don't feel it's any safer. Until I'm sure that I have absolute control of the situation.”
 
Terra put her hand over his. “Garfield…” she said, “At least you do know some things about it, so at least you know what the creature is after. That's sort of controlling it.”
 
Garfield was still not convinced. He didn't want to be like this. True the creature had pulled through for him in times of danger, and helped save all the people he met on his journey… but the fact was it was dangerous, and it still hurt people, not to mention made a terrible mess of the things it smashed.
 
“I don't know…” he said, “I just do--” he stopped when he gazed over at Granite's tent. Terra realized it too, the flap was wide open. Granite never slept in tents left open. That was cold, and uncomfortable, not to mention the animals could get in.
 
They could even see foot prints going in and out of the tent, and Granite was nowhere to be seen. His whole tent was a mess, and the bed was tipped over. “Hey… look at this.” Terra said as she picked up a piece of paper. “It's a note…”
 
Garfield took it from her to look at it closely…
 
“Gone to the mountain-site WITH the old-man…”
 
“Slade”
 
Garfield angrily crumpled the note up and slammed it hard on the ground. “Granite...! I shouldn't have left him alone!”
 
Terra was confused, “What would Slade want with Granite…?” she wondered.
 
There was only one way to find out, and so they mounted their horses again, and rode off towards the mountain.
 
 
Granite was tied up in more ropes around a narrow, tall, rock ten of yards up on the slope. Still gagged too...
 
Terra and Garfield rode up to the base near the trail. “Look… there he is…”
 
Before they could rush in to try and save him, Slade leapt out from behind a rock, right in their way. “Going somewhere…?” he hissed.
 
“You…!” Terra growled.
 
“I…” mocked Slade.
 
Garfield growled angrily, but then he realized he had to keep it cool. “Why have you done this…?” he demanded to know. “What do you want…?”
 
Slade explained that there were no gems, or diamonds anywhere in this terrain. “Didn't you say yourself that it was proven near impossible, Garfield…?” he hissed.
 
“So, you lied…?” Terra asked. “You made this whole story up…?”
 
Slade nodded, and continued to explain that he did it for revenge against Granite. “I admit it. I hate you old-man!” he sneered up at his hostage on the mountain. “His rotten, sensibility passed me up the opportunities of no less than five lifetimes.”
 
Slade had always researched and found locations where many great gems and treasures could be found within the rock-formations, but Granite would never hear of it. It was always…
 
“I am strictly a geologist. Not a treasure hunter.”
 
“I will hear nothing more of it.”
 
Time after time, Slade missed out on the chances to make fortunes beyond his dreams, and then other people found it, and it was all because of Granite. “Well finally… the tables are about to turn. The old man is going pay!”
 
Terra and Garfield were looking as if they were trying to rush him. “I wouldn't do that…!” Slade warned them, and explained that what he had been doing on the mountain, further up ways, was planting explosives.
 
He held the remote control in his hand, “One little press of a button and an instant avalanche there shall be.”
 
Granite was bound directly on the mountains trail. If an avalanche would start, then he'd get buried alive. Slade was planning to head back to Granite's lab and take over its operations. Then he'd have all the fame and glory while the old man would be nothing but a frail drifter.
 
What nobody realized, was that frail old drifter was slipping out from his ropes…
 
Terra and Garfield had no idea of what they were going to do. “We have to try and get that remote away form him.” Garfield whispered. “Be very careful…”
 
He was devising a plan, as he loosened his shoe with his foot… unnoticed by Slade as he was distracted feeling around his pockets for something… and Granite was still breaking free.
 
Garfield finally got his shoe where he wanted it, and nodded at Terra. “Hey Slade…!” he called. Slade looked up, “THINK FAST…!” and he kicked his feet up causing his shoe to fly off his foot and BASH Slade hard in the arm. “AH…!”
 
The remote went flying out of his hand, and before Slade could go after it, Garfield lunged at him hold him off in a struggle. “Terra…! Get the remote!”
 
Terra nodded and began to run after it, “No…!” Slade growled, but he couldn't break free from Garfield's struggle in time to stop Terra from getting the remote and SMASHING it with her foot.
 
“Way to go, Terra!”
 
Slade then angrily pushed Garfield down. He looked as though he was going to explode like a volcano, but suddenly he sniggered wickedly. “Clever plan…” he complimented, and then he reached into his pocket and pulled out a spare remote, “But not good enough!”
 
Terra and Garfield gasped, and before they could react, Slade hit the switch, and the bombs exploded. Terra and Garfield were knocked off their feet by the rumbling of the explosion.
 
Then, rocks and boulders of gigantic sizes began to roll down the mountain. “AVALANCHE…!” screamed Terra!
 
Their horses were spooked and ran away to safety, but Garfield and Terra found it hard to run and escape the fast falling rocks. Terra even tried to run a little too fast and fell down. “AAH…!”
 
“TERRA…!” cried Garfield.
 
Terra fell off her feet, and her feet got caught by some fallen rocks. She couldn't get out… and worse, a huge boulder was slowly, yet surly rolling towards her. It would crush her like a grape. “HELP…! I'M STUCK…!” she screamed.
 
Garfield dashed towards her. “I'm coming…!” he cried, and he tried to pull away the rocks that held her foot down, but they wouldn't budge; too heavy! “Come on…!” Garfield roared. “Come on, MOVE…!”
 
The larger boulder was still coming, and it would flatten them both. “NO…!” Garfield roared.
 
SNAP!
 
It happened again…! His eyes were glowing, and his clothes were ripping as he changed into the beast right before Terra's eyes. “Garfield…!”
 
The creature growled and roared like crazy, and lifted those huge rocks away from Terra's feet. Then he scooped her up in his huge arms and carried her out of the way, just as the boulder squashed the area…
 
Slade on the other hand, who hadn't seen what was going on, was hastily trying to make a get away on foot to where his horse was safely at, but “Surprised to see me…?” Granite asked.
 
Slade was outraged and confused, “You survived? How…?”
 
Granite explained that as a boy-scout he was a master at ropes and knots. “That's why I prefer wisdom over worthlessness any time!”
 
Before Slade knew it, he was bound and gagged. He was now the hostage.
 
 
The beast kept a watchful eye over Terra, keeping her safe from the boulders as the avalanche continued to fall from the mountain. Finally, the rocks stopped falling, and the whole area was a big mess.
 
Terra couldn't believe that what just happened. As for the creature, he looked exhausted. This caused him to change back into Garfield, “Oh…!” he groaned. “What hit me?”
 
Terra smiled at him, and they realized that they were alone together. Despite the fact hi head hurt, and they were just sitting amongst a pile of fallen debris, who cared?
 
They embraced each other warmly and lost themselves in each other's kisses.
 
 
After a while, everyone made it safely back to camp, and Granite who still had no idea of the creature, was pleased to inform them that Slade would no longer do any harm. Especially seeing as how he was tied up in one of the tents…
 
“I can't help but thank the both of you kindly for biding me that time I needed.” He said, “Were not for it, I'd be dead by now.”
 
Terra and Garfield were grateful that he survived. Now it was simply a matter of getting everyone and everything back to Terra's cottage, and then it was time for Granite to be well on his way.
 
Slade needed to be taken to the proper authorities at once. He did however ensure Terra would get a big promotion and top marks for her bravery and courage, and Garfield would receive a good deal of reward as well.
 
“Thanks… but no thanks.” he said, and then he held his Fiancées hand and looked deep into her eyes. “I have all the reward I need right here.”
 
Terra blushed, and turned away, and Granite could tell that things were only going to get interesting between them both. “Well, the best of luck to both of you…” he said as he started the chopper-motors. “Cheerio…!”
 
Garfield and Terra backed away as the chopper flew up, up, up, and then vanished into the pre-dawn skies. The sun was just beginning to rise. It was so beautiful the way the light would slowly bath the prairie warming it up.
 
Then both Garfield, and Terra yawned, realizing that they had been up for most of he night. “We better get some sleep…” he said, “We have a lot of planning to do.”
 
“Planning…?” Terra asked, “For what…?”
 
Garfield smiled at her, “What do you mean? We can't get married without planning the wedding first can we…?”
 
Terra gasped softly. Her heart began to race, and suddenly she dashed at Garfield and kissed him hard.
 
 
Garfield agreed it was best that he stayed with Terra, as she seemed to be able to tame the Beast. Eventually they married, and lived for a while longer in Terra's cottage until she got promoted and moved to a better city where they settled down to live a peaceful, yet unusual life.
 
Garfield Logan still had the Beast dwelling within him, but he, and his new wife Terra, who was also soon to be the mother of his child… did not dare tell anyone.
 
As for Jackie, Jillian, and their fathers…
 
They never would stop believing that the creature didn't kill Rita, and they vowed to keep searching for him until they found it, and captured it; though it just be a waste of their time.