Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Little Cherub V by Beautifulpurpleflame ❯ ill ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: I don't own Teen Titans, or anything else in this story… other than a few of the characters… and the ideas.
Chapter 3
Alex asked his father every day if his mother had made a decision, but every day Beast Boy shook his head. Alex had always been a patient boy, but this was something he had been looking forward to since he had figured out his father was a superhero. He wanted to watch him in person at work, not just a few clips from the news. But he had been waiting for a month now and still his mother had said nothing.
“She's not gonna let you go,” said Arielle, who was doing her homework at the table, along with all of the other kids.
“She may,” said Alex, who was watching over the other seven children while their parents were out doing the monthly BIG shop.
“No way,” said Austin.
“Not ever,” said Aaron.
“What are you guys talking about?” asked Caley.
“Alex wants to go watch our dads in action when they're fighting the bad guys,” said Arielle.
“And our mom's thinking about it,” said Aaron.
“Thinking about what?” asked Justin, who didn't have homework, so he was just coloring.
“Thinking about letting him go,” said Austin.
“She's not gonna let you go watch our dads!” said Malissa.
“Yeah, your mom's worse than my mom,” said Nicholas.
“Look, she just wants to make sure I'll be safe,” said Alex. “I mean, come on, our dads fight some pretty tough guys. You can't blame her; in fact, you can't blame any of our moms. I just wish I could convince her that I'd be fine. I mean, I can protect myself fine and I have my own superpowers just incase.”
“Just don't get disappointed when she says no,” said Arielle.
“At this point I don't care what she says,” said Alex. “I just want a yes or a no. I can't take the suspense!”
Just then the doors opened and a line of adults filed in, each with a dozen shopping bags in their hands. When they did the BIG shop they got everything from food to clothes. With fourteen people in the house, they easily went through their supplies.
“We're back!” announced Robin.
“Everyone alive?” asked Cyborg, who asked it every time they came back as a joke.
“I think so,” said Alex with a smile. He did a quick head count and said, “Yup, everyone's accounted for and alive.”
Raven dropped her bags and headed out of the room quickly. This caught all of the kids' attention and they watched as she ran past them.
“What's wrong with mumma?” asked Austin.
“She's not feeling well,” said Beast Boy. “I think she has the flu.”
All the kids shuddered, remembering their own experiences with the flu. Yes, that had been the worst two weeks of everyone in the tower's lives. That's why they got the flu shot every year.
“Okay everyone, time to put everything away,” said Bumble Bee.
“Sorry, we're doing our homework,” said Malissa with a grin.
“Well, you can take a break for this,” said Bumble Bee grinning back.
The children sighed, pushed out from the table, and went over to all of the bags. They began to sort through the stuff, which was actually a lot of fun and all of their spirits lifted immediately.
“I love this cereal!” said Justin, jumping around with the box excitedly.
“Yes! Pink socks!” squealed Caley.
“Ooh! I wanted this shampoo,” said Arielle.
Beast Boy quickly made his way to his sick wife in the bathroom. She hadn't been feeling well all day and had nearly gotten sick in every store they went to. She tended to get sick a lot, what with eight children living in the house and half of them being her own. She was always the one in the house to get the colds and the flu's. So this wasn't at all out of the ordinary.
Slowly Beast Boy slid their bathroom door open and found Raven getting sick. “Flu again?” he sighed.
“I think so,” groaned Raven.
Beast Boy went over to her and pulled her hair out of her face. He grabbed her hair bush, which was sitting on the sink, and stole an elastic that was wrapped around it off. He tied her hair back and rubbed her back soothingly.
“Anything you need?” asked Beast Boy.
“Not at the moment, but don't go too far away,” said Raven and she heaved once more.
“Okay, call if you need anything,” said Beast Boy and he left her to be sick in privacy.
As he walked down the hall he saw Alex, who was delivering the bathroom supplies to each of the bathrooms. “Hey dad, mind taking this stuff into your bathroom, instead of me?” said Alex. “I mean, since mom's sick.”
“Sure,” said Beast Boy. “And, before you ask, she hasn't made up her mind yet.”
Alex sighed and said, “Alright, tell her I hope she feels better,” and went on his way.
Beast Boy turned around and headed back into his room. He dropped the bags outside of the bathroom door, where he could hear Raven still heaving, and then decided to check on his other three kids.
He entered the common room and it looked like a plastic bag graveyard. They were all empty and covering the floor. He began to pick them all up and caught sight of all the kids, who were at the table doing their homework again.
“Hey, who's in charge of picking up the grocery bags?” asked Beast Boy.
“Not us,” said Arielle.
“We empty them and put all of the stuff away,” said Caley. “Beyond that, they're your responsibility.”
“Well la de da,” said Beast Boy chuckling and he began to stuff all of the bags into the trash. “Where'd everyone else go?”
“My mom's putting her new stuff away,” said Nicholas. “And my dad went to workout.”
“And my mom's making sure you guys didn't leave anything in the car,” said Malissa. “And my dad went to recharge.”
“So I've got to watch you all?” asked Beast Boy.
“You don't have to,” said Justin innocently.
Beast Boy smiled and said, “That's alright, I don't mind.” He pulled out a chair and sat down with all of them. “So, anyone need help?”
“Why, is mom feeling better?” asked Austin smugly.
“Watch it,” said Beast Boy.
Aaron might have taken after Beast Boy, but Austin was more like his mother, especially when it came to smart remarks. All the kids chuckled and went back to their homework. Alex reentered and sat down in his seat to finish up his homework.
Soon Cyborg and Bumble Bee returned as well as Starfire and Beast Boy was relieved of his duty. He quickly went to check on Raven again. He found her just leaving the bathroom, holding her stomach and looking quite green. She slowly made her way over to her bed and sat down.
“God, I hate getting sick,” she moaned.
“I know,” sighed Beast Boy, who went to her and sat next to her. He wrapped his arm around her and she laid her head on his shoulder.
“But I'd rather get sick than one of the kids,” she said.
“Yeah, you're always more miserable than the kids when they get sick,” he said, rubbing her arm.
“Well, hopefully I'll be better by tomorrow,” said Raven. “Arielle has ballet.”
“Don't worry, I'll take care of it,” said Beast Boy. “You never know when to take it easy when you're sick.”
“Well you don't know the kids' schedules like I do,” said Raven.
“Make a chart and I'll learn,” chuckled Beast Boy.
“That's not a bad idea,” said Raven. She shakily stood up and made her way back into the bathroom. Soon her husband could hear her coughing and getting sick once more. He hated it when she got sick; perhaps even more than when the kids got sick. Raven was stubborn and always refused to admit it when she was sick. Except when she had the flu, then she couldn't hide it no matter how hard she tried.
After a few minutes she came back out, looking pale and tired. While she had been in the bathroom, Beast Boy had gotten her a few different drinks. It was always the same routine when she had the flu. A glass of water to wash the bitter taste in her mouth away, some grape Kool-Aid to give her a sugar boost and put a sweet taste in her mouth, and a cup of tea for her to slowly sip. It was always better to have something to throw up than nothing at all.
After her three drink ritual she curled up on her bed and tried to relax. Beast Boy covered her up and put a wastebasket next to her bed, just incase. She thanked him and closed her eyes, hoping for sleep so she could get away from the curdling feeling in her stomach.
Out in the common room the kids were finally done with their homework and putting their papers back into their backpacks. Now they could finally have fun and play. The twins quickly claimed the television to play their videogames on the big screen. Nicholas joined them and so did Malissa, who was pretty good. The four were quickly yelling and fighting with each other as the game got underway.
Aaron and Austin prided themselves on being the best videogame players in the tower, especially Aaron, but Malissa was catching up to them, and she was a year and a half younger. Nicholas just played because he loved the images and the sound effects, he really didn't care if he won or not. He had a short attention span and anything fast moving and loud always caught his eye.
Arielle went to her room with Caley so they could play dolls. They always went to Arielle's room since none of her brothers would bother her or enter without knocking. The same could not be said for Caley and her brother Nicholas. So Caley was thankful to have a place where she could be boy free with Arielle, who was basically her best friend.
The two balanced each other out pretty well. Arielle was sweet and smart while Caley was outgoing and strong. Together, the two were an unstoppable team. Not to mention the fact that they both loved to talk, something Arielle got from her father and Caley got from her mother. And their imaginations were something to be marveled at.
Alex decided to play with Justin, since all of the other kids were busy. He hated to see Justin feel left out because he was the youngest. Since Alex was the oldest, he felt he had an obligation to be the big brother to all the kids, especially little Justin. Luckily, he was going through a dinosaur phase and Alex had the best dinosaur toys in the world, according to Justin.
While the children played, Cyborg was able to get dinner started. While he cooked his attention was constantly diverted to the television screen as he watched the kids play videogames. He would shout out directions and tell them secret moves, only to be yelled at by the kids who said they knew what they were doing.
Bumble Bee had the wonderful job of collecting all of the laundry baskets and doing the wash, so that was where she was while the kids were occupied and dinner was being cooked. That meant she had to stop at ten different rooms to collect all of the dirty laundry. And most of the time the kids had their clothes still on the floor, so she had to gather that all up, put it in their baskets, and then make her way to the laundry room. Cyborg had specially made the largest washer and dryer possibly in the world. She had never been so happy to get an appliance in her whole life.
Starfire was currently taking care of Silkie, possibly the oldest living larva in history. But he still was a happy little thing and was the most loved pet in the world. The children loved him and couldn't understand why the other kids at school didn't think having a put slug thing was cool. He slept in Starfire and Robin's room, to Robin's dismay since he never really liked the little creature, but Starfire loved him and that meant he slept where he pleased.
Robin finished his workout and went to see what the kids where doing. He was always worried his kids were fighting, which he couldn't understand since he disciplined them like Beast Boy and Raven did to their kids, or getting into trouble. He saw Nicholas playing videogames, or more like watching and just holding the controller to look like he was, but no Caley. He quickly went to the one other place she could be and found her, in Arielle's room playing dolls and dress up. Of course, Caley demanded he get out before he ruined the game and he quickly retreated. He never did understand girls, no matter what age.