Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Little Cherub V by Beautifulpurpleflame ❯ I'm Sorry ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: I don't own Teen Titans, or anything else in this story… other than a few of the characters… and the ideas.
Chapter 9
That night, when Alex was asleep, Beast Boy went in to see him. He was sleeping as if nothing had happened, though he seemed to be sleeping a little deeper than usual. He slept a lot like his father, spread out, but somehow tangled up in the sheets. Beast Boy crouched down next to his son and listened to him sleep. Suddenly he realized that he had almost killed him that day. Alex could have died. What would've happened if he had died? He was only thirteen years old, thirteen and half, actually.
It was this realization that finally brought Beast Boy to tears. He began to weep at the thought of Alex being dead. He imagined finding him on the road and telling him to wake up, never to be answered. It would have been his fault and he never would've been able to live with that guilt.
He quickly decided to leave so that he wouldn't wake his son from the sleep that was trying to help him regain his strength. He closed his door and began to cry harder. He didn't care if he was thirty-four now, he thought that he had a right to cry at this moment. Raven had been right, what he had done was unforgivable; unforgivable and selfish.
Suddenly he felt someone touch him and he jumped. He turned and saw Raven, tears in her own eyes. She had, obviously, been thinking about the same things as he was. They hadn't seen each other in a good ten hours, since it was now three in the morning. Without even thinking about it the two took each other into their arms and held them tight as they each cried.
“God, Raven, I'm so sorry,” he wept.
“He almost died today,” she cried.
“I know,” he sobbed back. “I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry.”
They stood there, crying and holding each other, for a few minutes. Finally they decided to move into their room, which was a few feet away, so that they could have some privacy. Once in they tried to stop their crying so that they could talk.
“I can't believe I did something so stupid,” said Beast Boy as the two sat down on their bed.
“What was it that really made you want to take him out there?” asked Raven, who was trying to stop herself from crying even more. This was hard thanks to her horrid pregnancy hormones.
“Do you want the truth?” asked Beast Boy.
“That's all I ever want,” she said, wiping her eyes with his palm.
Beast Boy sighed and said, “I wanted to show off to him. I wanted him to think that I was the coolest dad ever.”
“He already thinks you are,” said Raven. “You didn't need to risk his life to prove that.”
“I know,” said Beast Boy, trying to stop her before she began to weep again, and thus cause him to cry as well. “I was completely selfish and I wasn't thinking about Alex's safety at all. I was being Beast Boy the superhero, not Beast Boy the dad, which is what I should have been. I made a mistake, Raven.”
“Damn right you did,” said Raven through a lung spasm that was breaking through her calming breaths.
“I don't blame you if you never forgive me,” said Beast Boy, taking her hand. “Just, please, don't… leave me.”
Raven looked at him and then said, “Leave you? Do you really think I'm going to divorce you?”
“Well… I would if I were you,” said Beast Boy shamefully, his ears lowering.
“Well, I'm not,” sighed Raven. “Though I'm sure no judge would refuse me. Yes, what you did was horrible and selfish and probably the worst thing you've ever done in your entire life, but I married you knowing that something like this would happen someday. Yes, it's worse than anything I could've thought of, but it has happened. And, despite this horrible thing you've done, I still love you just like I will tomorrow and till the day I die. Loving you is just as much a curse as it is a blessing.”
“Raven, I don't think I can ever express how sorry I am,” said Beast Boy, looking straight into her beautiful violet eyes and squeezing her hands.
“Yes, you have,” said Raven. “When I saw you crying in the hallway I knew that you finally knew how I felt. I know now that you truly are sorry. But that doesn't mean I'm not still going to be mad at you.”
“I know,” said Beast Boy. “I just wish I knew what to do to make you feel better.”
“Just keep telling me you're sorry,” said Raven, feeling tears in her eyes again. She wrapped her arms around him and brought him as close as she could, which wasn't too close because of her swollen stomach.
“I'm sorry,” he said, holding her. “I'm so sorry.”
This continued for a few minutes before finally Raven had heard enough. She moved out of his arms and placed a hand on his mouth, hushing him. She leaned in and kissed him, letting the last of her tears fall down her cheeks. Beast Boy kissed her back, not knowing how he could deserve someone as wonderful as her. He pulled his lips away and rested his forehead against hers.
“I love you,” he said, feeling like he was going to break down again. “And I don't think I can ever show you just how much. You are the best thing that's ever happened to me. And I don't deserve you, Raven. I really don't.”
“Don't say that,” she said, crying again. “Just because we're two different people doesn't mean we don't deserve each other. I love you just as much as you love me, and I think that balances it out. Don't you remember what you said to me once? We're forever.”
Beast Boy cracked a small smile and said, “Yeah, we are.” He leaned in and kissed her again. “We're forever.” He kissed her like he had when he had first realized he loved her. He kissed her like when he had realized he was always going to love her forever. He kissed her knowing in his heart that she was his only love and what a fool he would be to ever ruin this perfection that was their love.
Raven despised the fact that she couldn't stay mad at him. She hated that he really was sorry for what he had done and was suffering from the guilt he was feeling. She had wanted to tear him a new one, but he was already doing it to himself. He knew what he had done was wrong. And she hated how much they really did love each other, because it meant she couldn't punish him like she would have in their younger, teenage days.
After giving her one last passionate kiss the two could finally go to bed for the night. They were both exhausted from the day's activities and longed for sleep. They crawled into bed and Beast Boy wrapped his arms tightly around his wife. She cuddled up as close to him as she could let out a much needed sigh. He took in her scent and let out a similar sigh.
Morning came soon enough and the two couldn't wake up. They needed to sleep and regain their strength, just like Alex. They hadn't moved at all during the night. The only thing that had moved was one of Beast Boy's hands, which moved down to affectionately hold Raven's stomach. She had a small smile on her sleeping face. She loved his touch that much.
Alex woke up and felt quite refreshed. The day before seemed more like a dream than anything else. He fell out of his bed, since he was still all caught in his sheets, pulled himself free, then gave a good stretch. He was starving and couldn't wait for breakfast.
He made it to the common room and found it oddly bare. None of his siblings were there, or any of the other kids. The only one there was Justin, who was sitting on the couch with his mother watching some preschool show.
“Where is everyone?” asked Alex.
“At school,” said Justin.
“What? What time is it?” he asked
“It's ten,” said Bumble Bee.
“Oh,” he said, slightly shocked. “I guess I'm not going to school today. Anything left over from breakfast?”
“I dunno,” shrugged Justin innocently.
“There's a stack of specially made waffles for you in the fridge,” said Bumble Bee with a smile.
“Awesome,” said Alex with a smile and he headed into the kitchen to make himself a brunch.
Robin and Cyborg entered, after working on one of the T-vehicles, and saw that Alex was up.
“Looks like you survived the night,” chuckled Cyborg.
“So I did get hurt yesterday?” asked Alex, who was still a little fuzzy on the whole situation.
“I'll say,” said Robin. “I've never seen anyone bounce back so quickly after being hit by Cinderblock.”
“Yeah, you better thank your mom for those healing genes,” said Bumble Bee.
“Where is she?” asked Alex as he popped his waffles into the microwave.
“She's still in bed,” said Cyborg. “She was pretty shaken up about what happened yesterday.”
“Any sign of my dad?” asked Alex.
“He's still in bed, too,” said Robin.
“They're not in the same room, are they?” asked Alex, slightly shocked.
“To my knowledge they are,” said Bumble Bee.
Starfire entered, coming from taking care of Silkie, and saw Alex. She quickly flew to him and hugged him tightly. “Oh, Alex, I was so worried about you. Are you okay? Are you healed?”
“Yes,” peeped Alex through his crushed lungs.
She released him and Alex took in a big breath. At least he didn't need to crack his back now, since his Aunt Starfire had taken care of it for him. He didn't really like a lot of attention, so he went back to fixing his meal.
After eating he decided to go meditate. He never stayed home from school, so it was odd not to have any of the other kids, apart from Justin, home. Since it was quiet, he knew he could get into a really deep meditative state. He ran to his room to grab his meditation mat and saw his father just leaving his own room.
“Morning dad,” said Alex with a smile.
“Hey buddy,” said Beast Boy with a small smile. “You feeling okay?”
“Oh yeah, I feel great,” smiled Alex. “I was just gonna go do some meditating. Is mom still asleep?”
“No, she's just waking up too,” said Beast Boy, letting out a slight yawn. “She demanded breakfast in bed so I'm off to the kitchen.”
“So, I'm guessing she's not gonna kill you?” said Alex.
“I don't think so,” said Beast Boy with a relieved smile. “I just have to do whatever she says for the next… well, let's just say I'll probably retire before I'm done serving my time.”
“Better than being dead,” smirked Alex as he went into his room.
“I guess,” said Beast Boy, chuckling. He leaned against Alex's doorway as his son dove under his bed to grab his rolled up meditation mat. “Hey, Alex?”
“Yeah dad?” said Alex from under the bed.
“I want you to know how sorry I am for yesterday,” said Beast Boy.
“For what?” asked Alex as he crawled back out.
“For getting you hurt yesterday,” said Beast Boy.
“You didn't hurt me,” said Alex. “That Cinderblock guy did.”
“Yeah, but I should've gotten you outta there when he came onto the scene,” said Beast Boy. “I just want you to know how sorry I am.”
“Dad, it wasn't anyone's fault,” said Alex. “You know, other than Cinderblock's. So you don't have to apologize.”
“Alex, I don't think you realize how badly you got hurt yesterday, or how badly you could've been hurt,” said Beast Boy.
“Well, if mom forgives you, I forgive you,” said Alex with a smile. “Now you better get her breakfast before she extends your sentence.”
Beast Boy smiled and went off to the common room. He really didn't deserve such a wonderful family. Alex really was something else. He was entering puberty and yet he was still as sweet and pure as he had been when he was two. He was really thankful for Raven's powers, which had spread into the children to make them calm and wonderful.