Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ TTHS-City Musical: The Phantom of the City ❯ Terra's Task ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER SIX
Terra brought Garfield to the emergency hospital down the street. The nurse who helped clean and bandage Garfield's wound was glad she brought him, but she was most confused by Garfield's story of being bumped into a wall. “This wound looks more like it were made by a bullet.” she said as she finished bandaging the wound. As she gathered her things and left, “You're lucky to have a friend like Terra.” she smirked at Garfield.
Garfield tried to protest, but she was already gone. Now his wound was all bandaged up, he did owe Terra a small “Thanks… I guess.”
Terra was glad she helped but Garfield insisted that he leave, but Terra became immediately concerned as they exited the hospital. “Garfield… you have to take it easy. You heard the nurse, that wound could've been very serious.”
“Hey… I've had worse than this before.” Garfield said deeply at her. “Just worry about yourself. What's the matter with you? Why are you always trying to look out for me? I can take care of myself.”
Terra just stood there and didn't know if she could answer, which gave Garfield a chance to finally take his leave. As he walked on his way he couldn't seem to get Terra off of his mind, then suddenly he was starting to realize. “Dude… I can't be falling for her. She's not my type.” he said to himself. “I hate her… I don't trust her… I…”
He gazed down at a puddle one the ground and he saw Terra's face in the water. It faded quickly, but even Garfield couldn't deny it now.
(Music Cue)
(Garfield)
Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude!
I've grown accustomed to her face.
She almost makes the day begin.
I've grown accustomed to the tune
That she whistles night and noon.
Her smiles, her frowns,
Her ups, her downs
Are second nature to me now;
Like breathing out and breathing in.
I was serenely independent and content before we met;
Surely I could always be that way again-
And yet
I've grown accustomed to her look;
Accustomed to her voice;
Accustomed to her face.
Garfield turned and saw Terra catching the bus home. She stopped as she climbed in and gazed at him. She smiled softly yet sadly. Garfield turned away from her and went on his way talking to himself…“Terra Markov…? Me fall for her? Ridiculous.”
As he walked along his way he remembered his years at Murakami High, from grade nine to his early graduation Terra was always there. He was never all that nice to her once and yet she always was trying to show him kindness and sympathy.

I can see her now,
and boy I've had my fill
No one ever showed me kindness or sympathy before.
The sights and sounds she likes, they make me ill,
And when I say enough she just comes with more
.
I really don't see what others see in her,
She doesn't get good grades, and she has a long blonde head.
You'd think that all she had up there is water
Yet she's just gone home to comfort and to bed.
Yet when I saw her school every day,
there was something strange about her that I know.
She'd hang out with her friends, whom in each every way
Tried to change her into one of them or so
Oh, Terra. How simply frightful!
How humiliating! How delightful!
How poignant it'll be
that I am right
Deep underneath your face, is a frightened troubled girl
Miserable and lonely, repentant and contrite.
Should I talk to her, make amends?
Give her kindness or the treatment she
needs and deserves?
Will I
look back maybe accept the change…?

But unlike
most forgiving men;
The sort who never could, ever would,
Take a position and staunchly never budge.
A most forgiving man.
But, I shall never
let that be,
Even if she got on her knee.
Let her
beg to a tone;
Let her shiver, let her moan;
I'll slam the do
or and let the hell-cat freeze!
He was still thinking about her and singing when we got home and went to bed. “Me… and Terra… Terra and me…? Hah!”

But I'm so used to
hear her say
"Good morning" eve
ry day.
Her joys, her woes,
Her highs, her lows,
Are second nature to me now;
Like breathing out and breathing in.
I'm very grateful she's a
girl
And so easy to forget;
Rather like a habit
One can always break-
And yet,
I've grown accustomed to the trace
Of something in the air;
Accustomed
to her face.
Sighing heavily, Garfield drifted off to sleep.
Meanwhile, Jackson went over his books, and his money was starting to dwindle due to all the expenses he paid, and the reparation money he owed the seniors now that their home was saved.
His trap had failed to stop the phantom, but he wasn't licked yet. “Dodgers!” he yelled.
“Sir…?” Dodgers answered.
“Has our secret weapon received my message and offer?”
Dodgers went over the reports, “Yes, she has, but she says it will take a while for her to make arrangements to get here. She's a busy lady.”
Jackson didn't care. Just as long as she would arrive. If the phantom continued to interfere with his plans he'd lose more money and all his dreams would go down the river. “Just like they did before… years and years back.”
He was having vision of memories of water rushing and explosions. A town was drowning and being washed away, and her could hear a kid shouting. “Mommy! Daddy! Help me! HELP!”
With the phantom still on the loose, some places due for demolition or newer buildings already under construction that posed as a threat, plans were all halted and would be out of action for a least a few days while the workers awaited orders from Jackson.
This was quite convenient for Garfield as it gave his arm a chance to heal, and he needed to take a short trip on his moped out into the desert, and thanks to its high speed and rocket-power he performed his task in less than a day and returned home with bags of sand or gravel, but what it was for was anyone's guess.
One Friday morning as Garfield was passing by the Murakami School on his way through town he overheard Dick and his friends talking about the northwest forest, where Garfield's theater was.
He had to move in closer, and he was spotted. “Garfield…?” Dick said.
“Surprise-Surprise!” Garfield mocked. “What's going on now…?”
“What business is it of yours?” Raven sneered. “You're not a student here anymore.”
Garfield shot her a straight look, “I just asked a question, ghoul-girl! Is that so hard?”
Dick didn't think it would be too much to show Garfield the paper. It said that Jackson was planning to build a warehouse on the northwest forest. “Their going to demolish all the trees, and the old theater that's in there too.”
Garfield's eyes twitched softly. “They wouldn't dare…” he thought fiercely. Dick and his friends were concerned about this too. They knew of the old theater in the forest, and from Dick's stories. “Some say… that's where the phantom likes to hangout, but people don't dare go anywhere near the place fearing what could happen.”
There was a moment of silence as a cold wind blew.
To many people the old theater was a place that was old and rotting away, but people had always wished it would be reopened and revitalized to help the entertainment industry of the city, no thanks to Jackson breaking down the movie theater a year ago to build a shipping company department.
Dick had already written several letters to governor hoping for an approval, but as was expected, Jackson's men intercepted all outgoing mail as it left the city and returned it with postage-due.
Dick then reached into his bag and pulled out a letter he had recently completed. It was to be sent to Washington, and get to the Whitehouse so the president could view the offenses that Mayor Jackson had committed in Jump-City. “But how are we going to get it out of the city?” asked Kori.
“Maybe we can get the phantom to poof it there…?” Vic joked. Kori and Dick chuckled at that remark, but Kato and Raven were disgusted. What was it going to take to convince them that what the phantom did wasn't all that bad?
Kato clenched his fists. “What I would give to meet the scoundrel face-to-face… in combat… just once.” he growled. Garfield gazed at him and hoped that would never happen, but it did give him an idea.
“Garfield, where are you going?” asked Kori.
“Hey… I'm not a student here anymore, remember?” Garfield said. That's when the bell rang, “But you guys are. Have a good one.” and he was off. “Gee… he's in a rush.” Raven said.
Garfield was in such a rush while trying to think of how to turn things to his advantage… he wasn't watching where he was going and almost ran right into Terra. “Are you crazy…?” snapped Jackie.
“Yeah! Watch where you're going, Brat-Boy.” Growled Jillian
“How many times are you two going to call me that?” Garfield asked. “It's as tired as you're going to be if you're late for class.”
The girls realized he was right and ran off, and Terra ran off with them. “Sorry about that Garfield?” she called to him. “Hope you're okay.”
She extended more sympathy towards him. Garfield actually smiled, and Terra smiled back as she ran, but then Garfield realized that had just smiled at her and got it returned. “Wow…! I'm in deeper than I thought.” he muttered to himself.
Then suddenly, he had an idea. It was sneaky, and tricky, and very risky as well, but if all went well he would probably be able to do something he had never done before…
…actually help out Dick and his friends… and Terra was going to help him. He hoped!
Terra's day felt slow and tiresome, but she was glad when the lunch bell rang. “And a whole half day to go.” She groaned as she went to her locker. As she put her books away she noticed a small envelop with no writing on it. Terra knew this was no love note. She took the note, and crept to the girls' washroom, locked herself fin a cubicle and read the letter inside…
“If you ever want peace and happiness to return to the city. Come to the old theater in the northwest forest at sundown. I will be waiting.
Come alone, make certain you aren't followed, and tell no one of this.
I have my eye on you!
The signature was a single capital P. “The phantom…!” Terra peeped.
Terra was acting oddly for the remainder of the day, even Dick and his friends knew something was up with her, but they had other things to deal with.
Jackie and Jillian asked Terra if she wanted to hang out after school to which she refused saying she had stuff to do, and she didn't want to be bothered. Her friends were confused. “What's with her?” asked Jackie.
“I thought you'd know…” said Jillian.
By sundown, Terra found herself at the forest outside of town. It was getting dark and things were getting scary as she traversed through the trees and brambles. “Ugh!” she growled.
Then suddenly she found herself standing before the old theater. She felt like she was in a horror movie. Especially when the big doors opened with a creak and a dark, creepy voice called to her. “Come in Terra Markov. You are expected.”
Terra gulped hard and felt her heart starting to race with fear. She walked through he doors, and they slammed right behind her. She screamed in the dark, but suddenly, she could hear soft music playing.
(The song of healing, Clock Tower, Major's Mask)
Then a soft glowing line appeared on the floor by Terra's feet, and the voice instructed her. “Follow the yellow line! It will lead you to the main auditorium.
Terra did as she was told and followed the line as it slowly lead her through the theater. Finally she reached the auditorium and was told proceed to the stage. She did so, and once there a spot light flicked on, making her jump, and there in the middle of the light on the stage was an old prop throne. “Please sit!”
“O…o-o-okay.” Terra said as she sat down. She looked all ways around, but she couldn't figure where the phantom was. “Will I be able to see you?” she asked.
Garfield was hiding up in rafters on the far side of the auditorium and spoke with his phantom voice into a microphone. “There is no need for you to see me. I can hear anything you have to say.”
Terra explained that she had come unseen, and not followed. “What do you want from me?”
Before her appeared a red envelope. “You must take back this message with you to city hall. You must pass on my warning to the mayor, and there is but one other task for you.”
He slowly explained about Dick Grayson's letter to the president. Terra was instructed to obtain that letter, “And bring it to me. The fate of the entire city may well depend on it.
Terra frightfully nodded and agreed to do so. She was also told not to tell anyone of her mission or anything she had learned within or about the theater. “And remember, I shall keep a close watch over you, and if any deviation or treason is detected… I will be forced to take action. Is this understood?”
Terra was sweating harder than she ever had before. “Y-y-yeah.. I understand.”
Garfield smiled in the darkness. “I will pass further instructions to you tomorrow. Until then… you are excused.” He raised his cane, “FEEL THE MAGIC!” and he blasted her with his cane from afar. Terra screamed when she got hit and vanished in another illusion of an explosion, and she was gone.
“Sorry Terra…” Garfield muttered in his normal voice. “I just need to know I can trust you.”
Terra opened her eyes, she felt as if someone had just hit her with a truck. That would've almost happened had a truck-driver not sounded his horn and stopped when he had. “Hey, kid! What do you think you're doing?” he called to her.
Terra realized she was lying in the middle of the street, in Jump-City right around her neighborhood. She got up and off the road and wonder if what just happened to her was a dream, but she noticed another letter in her book bag which said…
It's not a dream. I'll be watching you!
-P
Terra hadn't much of a choice now.