Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ When it All Falls Apart ❯ I'll Cover You ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'll Cover You
 
 
 
A/N: I needed a break from this for a while. But after a lovely holiday spent with my awesome family, especially my two cousins, who at 7 and 3 are well on their way to a life in comedy, I'm back. And hopefully ready to do this again. So here is Cyborg's chapter. I've struggled with this particular chapter since I began this story. I want him sympathetic to Raven but I don't want him to demonize his best friend either. Hard to write and even harder to successfully do. But I gave it my best shot here. So tell me what you think.
 
Oh and to the lovely child who continues to tell me how wrong I am to mention abortion as a real life issue. Please stop reading my story. If it offends you so much please stop reading it. Thank you.
 
 
Disclaimer: The Teen Titans and all things related to them belong to DC Comics. Cause if they belonged to me I definitely would've chosen to revive Superboy over Jericho. Superboy is just way cooler. And the title of this chapter belongs to Jonathan Larson, who if I remember correctly penned it for the musical Rent.
 
 
 
 
Victor knew why Gar had left for the Doom Patrol. Why, nearly seven weeks ago, he'd packed a bag and left the Tower, claiming to have some family issues to deal with. He'd heard Raven as she informed her boyfriend that she was pregnant. Not that he'd been spying or anything but when you're as connected to your home as he was there was really no way to escape hearing and seeing things you didn't want to see and weren't supposed to know. Although he couldn't really be held at fault, after all the Tower's cameras were integrated into his system. He couldn't avoid them if he tried.
 
 
 
So he knew why his best friend had disappeared. And thanks to Gar's desire to keep in touch while he collected himself he also knew how much his friend was beating himself for leaving like that. He knew that Gar felt bad for just up and running away, especially since he himself knew how badly it hurt to be abandoned in that fashion. He knew that Gar was trying to figure out how he was going to care for his child and his girlfriend. He knew Gar was trying to build up enough nerve to tell Steve and Rita about his pregnant girlfriend, who they hadn't meet except for that one time when the world was ending. He also knew Gar had asked him to make sure that she was okay, even though Victor repeatedly told him the only way to make her okay was for Garfield to bring his lanky green behind back home now and beg her to forgive him for leaving. He repeatedly told Garfield that nothing he did would make her okay, cause what she really needed was him and his support with this baby.
 
 
 
And even though he said he wouldn't he did watch over her. Even though he knew he had to extra careful because Raven didn't yet know that he knew that she was pregnant. And like any good friend he knew that he couldn't tell her that Gar had told him because not only would he be lying but he'd also be ratting out a friend. So he tried to be nonchalant about the extra vitamins in the Tower and the extra food he was buying. He tried to act as if he didn't notice that her leotard was slowly becoming tighter and tighter, and that she was spending more time in civilian clothes. He tried to sound innocent when he asked her if she was feeling okay after an early morning spent with her head in the toilet. He would let her come to him, when she was ready.
 
 
 
He got lucky. She didn't like hospitals or doctors and hated going to STAR Labs for anything unless she needed to. So when she began to get too big to hide she came to him. She trusted him. And she told him that she was pregnant. By Garfield. And she was scared of having this baby and of what it would mean for her, for him, for the team. She was scared. She was scared because she hadn't heard anything from him in weeks and even though she didn't want to think badly of him she was beginning to wonder if he was ever coming back.
 
 
 
And this is where things got hard. Because as much as he wanted to tell her where Gar was he couldn't. He couldn't betray his friend like that. But he couldn't lie to her either. So he did what he could to maintain his loyalties to both. Told her that he knew Garfield would be back. Told her that Garfield hadn't abandoned her or their baby he was just trying to get himself together. He would be back. Told her that he was likely very upset with himself for just leaving her like that and that he probably wouldn't be gone much longer. And that even though what she was going through was scary, she'd been through worse and could handle this and that her having a child would not affect this team the way she was thinking. Things would be okay.
 
 
 
And while she didn't look completely convinced she did look more relaxed than he'd seen her in weeks. Which was saying something seeing as how Kori had taken it upon herself to try and pamper Raven as much as possible without arousing Robin's suspicion. But then he noticed her looking at him. The hard kind of look his mother had given once when he was sneaking a cookie before dinner. The hard kind of look Robin gave him when he tried to question him about his late nights out and whom he was spending them with. The hard kind of look Jinx gave him when she trying to figure out if he being honest or not with her. The kind of look that made him wish he hadn't noticed the look. So he asked her if there was more she had to say.
 
 
 
She asked him what he thought of her situation. He considered asking her to elaborate but figured now was not the time to play 20 questions. So he told her. While it wasn't the best situation in the world it could be a hell of a lot worse. She asked how things could be worse. So he told her. Told her of the women he'd seen, before he'd hooked up with the Titans, who been in her place. Told her how alone they'd been and how sad they were. They had no one. No friends, no family, no anyone to help them through this. She had him and Kori. She had the Titans. Told her about the women and girls in this world who went through such a big change not knowing where to turn, who to go to for help. She knew where she could go. She was lucky. She considered this before asking if he saw her any differently now, knowing that she was about to be a teen mother. For a moment he wondered why she would asking him such a question before realizing that she was really worried. Worried that his perception of her had changed. Worried that he would pass judgment on her for getting into a predicament that was not her fault.
 
 
 
He made sure she was looking at him when he told her that his vision of her hadn't budged. She was still Raven and she was still a teammate, a compatriot, a friend. She was still his family. And that alone was reason enough for him to stand by her. And he told her he'd still stand by her even when people inside and outside of their little island began to pass judgment as they invariably would. Nothing and no one would change that.
 
 
 
She then asked him if he thought she was unnecessarily risking a life, by bringing a child into the world she lived in. A world full of vindictive villains and evil demons that would love to hurt her through a child. Was she making the right choice in choosing to raise this child? He told her that whether or not she had a child the world she lived in would still be dangerous. And that the choice to raise the child in the Tower was hers and hers alone; he couldn't speak on that decision because it wasn't his choice to make. But whatever choice she made it was her decision. And as her family and her friend he would support her. Like he always did and always would. He would watch out for her and cover her.
 
 
A/N: So here it is. Did I get it right, Cyborg's reactions? Up next is Robin, who is driving me crazy because while I want him to be mad and preachy I don't want him to come off to angry and preachy. Finding the right mix is killing me. Let me know what you think. And by the way a happy belated new year to all of you. This'll be my best year yet cause I'll be 21 this year. And I'll be in Paris! Thank goodness for great years.