Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ When it All Falls Apart ❯ In the Deep ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

In the Deep
 
 
 
A/N: So this is my Robin chapter. God I must've rewritten this one at least 10 times. I realllllllly worked hard on this one. Robin is not an easy character for me to do. He makes me crazy because I can't get into his head. But I think, I hope that I've, at the very least, managed to capture a bit of him in this chapter. By the way I'm trying to see how many chapters I can write without actual dialogue. So far this makes five.
 
Disclaimer: All characters mentioned belong to DC Comics. The title of this chapter belongs to Bird York. I just thought it fit.
 
And now for my other announcement: Christian-Aero-Captain, I have very tolerantly put up with your flaming every chapter I post, which I know you're not really reading because only the first two chapters mention abortion. I have tolerantly put up with you insulting me and the fact that I chose to write about abortion in general. I have been very nice to you because I feel that by putting my work on a site like this I am opening myself to criticism and other such acts. But I WILL NOT tolerate you slamming my other reviewers. If you feel that the content I am writing about is morally wrong then that is your belief. As I previously told you I respect that belief. However the moment you begin to insult the other open-minded people reading this story is when my tolerance ends. Don't you dare think that I'm going to let you criticize the other writers on this site. You want to speak about human rights and the sanctity of life? That's fine; I'd have that discussion with you. But I won't let you shove your views down my throat or anyone else's. Tell me something, in real life when a father rapes and impregnates his daughter, is her abortion still a sin? Is she still a horrible person? Is she still morally corrupt because she refuses to give birth to a child that she didn't want, didn't ask for? What about the women who could die from medical issues if they choose to give birth? Should they abandon their lives, their families, their chance to give an adopted child a family, just because abortion may not be what some people think is morally right? I don't think so. And just so we're clear here, hon, I'm done being nice. I have every response from you on file and if you continue to insult my fellow writers I will have you removed from this site.
 
Now let's get this party started.
 
 
 
He'd been angry. For nearly a week now he'd been sitting in this room, brooding and fuming. He'd been avoiding his teammates at every turn. Even Kori couldn't make him leave, as he wasn't speaking to her either. Instead he'd stayed sequestered in his room, away from the world, away from his friends, but most importantly he'd been away from Raven.
 
She'd been calm when she came to speak to him. Dick suspected that her calm had more to do with saving face and upholding her façade of a tough girl than it did with inner peace. But he decided to keep that thought to himself. After all if Raven was coming to him something important must've happened. He didn't want to stop her before she began.
 
By the time she was done he was wishing he'd had stopped her. He had run all sorts of scenarios through his mind about what she could be coming to say. He'd imagined Trigon, The Brotherhood, Slade, even Terra, had been what she was here to talk about. He'd been planning attacks and training sessions before she'd begun. All those thoughts stopped when he heard say she was pregnant. When he heard her say that she and Gar were having a baby. Together.
 
For a moment he'd thought it was a joke. He'd looked around very briefly for the rest of the team, hoping they'd appear with a laugh and chuckle, at his expense. But they didn't. She wasn't joking. She wasn't playing some cruel trick on him. She was truly having a baby. She was truly pregnant.
 
Looking at her he wondered how he could've missed the signs. Even if her stomach wasn't as big as a basketball it did look slightly fuller. And she'd been eating more lately, as if she was actually hungry. Come to think of it, there had been many little hints in the past couple of months. She slept more, she smiled more, she was even wearing civilian clothes more. He thought she'd just been getting along better with her powers, with her emotions. He didn't even think it was because she was having a child.
 
That explained Garfield's long absence too. He thought maybe the Doom Patrol was just on some long mission in Istanbul or something and that's why Gar was still gone six months later. But now he realized that Gar already knew, had already been told that Raven was having his child. And he'd left because he wasn't able to handle the notion of being a father. And Dick hadn't known any of this until today.
 
 
That was his second mistake, not knowing what was going on with his team. His first mistake, he told himself, was trusting his team to be responsible when it came to emotions like lust and love. He'd thought he could trust them to be careful, thought they would realize the repercussions and that they'd be more responsible. Thought that they knew that a situation like this was just unacceptable, and irresponsible. He thought that they knew better.
 
Her façade slipped then. The moment he began to let the judgment, and condemnation roll from his mouth, is the moment when he saw her crumble, if only for a second. And then she was gone. No yelling, no arguing, and no trying to tell him he was wrong, or that he was a hypocrite. Just gone. Leaving him with two teammates who must've appeared when he'd been trying to piece together her words. A look at Victor, a glance at Kori revealed that they too had already known and that they'd been keeping it from him.
 
Before he realized it they too were gone. But not before making it clear that they were disappointed in him. That they thought he was wrong for judging her and denouncing her for something that was beyond her control.
 
He'd been in his room since that conversation. Refusing to come out and refusing to acknowledge anyone who came to the door. He'd thought of all the ways he could make things right, all the ways he could bring his team back together. He made list after list of the reasons why they couldn't keep this child, of the reasons why she had to give it up. They ranged from the outrageous: # 324:Gray and green was not a pretty skin tone color; to the incomprehensible. He decided that she couldn't raise this child. She would just have to give it away when she gave birth. Raven could not be a Titan and a mother. It wouldn't work.
 
He was going to tell her this. Going to give her these lists and tell her his reasoning. He was going to make her, make them see. Make them understand how dangerous this was, how this was not a good idea. How they would not function the same with a child in the Tower. He was going to make…was going to…was going…nowhere. He wasn't going to tell them this. Wasn't going to preach to them the reasons they couldn't do this.
 
It was the picture that made him realize this. The picture that was taken days after Raven's return from her Mexican retreat. Raven still had that long hair, he was still trying not to look like he wanted to be that close to Kori and Gar and Vic were just being themselves. In it they were all actually smiling, that true genuine smile that usually disappears when you realize the world isn't all pink and rosy. But there they were, with those smiles on their faces, this tangled mess of limbs and grins. At first glance they looked like some cheesy brochure picture for a college. But a closer look revealed the comfortable, easy way they fit into each other, like pieces of a rather colorful puzzle. Like a family.
 
He tore up the lists. They were a little nutty and he realized that hey wouldn't help his team anyway. Instead he called a team meeting, sans Garfield, who was not answering his communicator. Told his team that while he was not an advocate for teen pregnancy, he was still part of this family. As were the rest of them. Raven and Garfield were his family. And even if he did think they were too young and too inexperienced, it didn't matter what he thought. Cause in the end they were a team. A unit. A family. And while this baby would mean some changes in the Tower it wouldn't destroy their family. It would only make it bigger.
 
 
 
 
A/N: So there it is. I feel like I missed something in this chapter. Let me know if you agree. Next up is…I'm not really sure. I think I want to bring in the Gar's adoptive parents but I'm not too sure about that. And for those of you who are wondering, yes Gar will be back. And definitely before the baby is born. I think. Although I doubt the next chapter will be up anytime soon. Maybe by Valentine's Day as a gift to all the lonely people, myself included. Thanks for reading.
 
*Oh and sorry about the rant at the beginning. I just don't like it when people choose to harass those who don't agree with them.*