Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Who Said All was Fair in Love and War ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter One
Disclaimer: I don't, nor will I ever own the teen titans
 
Raven's Dream.
 
The titans drove up after a long hard day of saving the city. For cats stuck in trees, to kids almost getting abducted, one jail break, a dog almost getting ran over, and taking some girl to the hospital because she fell out of a window because she had heat stroke. The titans all still had enough energy to take on Wal*Mart Super center. Most of them did, except Raven. As they walked into the kitchen, Beast Boy made his way to the refrigerator, taking out leftover pizza.
 
“So guys, whaddaya say to pizza, popcorn and a movie?” he asked. That's pretty much all they ad for dinner because they hadn't gone grocery shopping in a while.
 
“Splendid,” said Starfire clapping her hands as Robin and Cyborg nodded. None of them had a single bag under their eyes.
 
Raven looked at the clock. She had dark circles under her eyes, the same ones she'd had for weeks. “It's one in the morning, way past your bedtime Beast Boy,” she said, holding back a yawn. This was the best sarcastic insult she's been able to come up with in weeks. She'd been extremely out of character lately and everyone had stopped hiding that they noticed. The other day Beast Boy asked her if she was dying. She honestly answered “I'm not sure.”
 
Beast Boy shrugged and ignored her. He didn't know what she was struggling with; he figured she was still freaked out but the end of the world, her father, and everything that had happened recently.
 
“Whatever. I'm going to bed,” said Raven, starting to leave the room. Her feet dragged and she didn't feel like making anymore sarcastic remarks.
 
“Goodnight,” said Robin. He was the only titan that really knew what was going on with Raven. It was only thanks to the makeup that he “borrowed” from Starfire that he didn't have bags under his eyes as well. He'd only known for a week and already the bags were getting a little too dark to hide from everyone.
 
Raven just absent mindedly waved. She hoped to get more sleep tonight than she had in weeks.
 
Raven took a shower, as warm as it got, which wasn't very because if you put the water in the tower on high it was still cold. Cyborg hadn't quite gotten around to fixing that. Raven wrapped her hair up in a towel, put on her bathrobe and went into her room to get into her night clothes. She then took all the books strewn across her bed and stacked them neatly on her nightstand. She lay down and tried to get to sleep but it wasn't easy with all the noise from the other titans watching their movie. She finally drifted into an uneasy sleep.
 
Se found herself on the main street of Jump City; most of the faces of the people passing by were blurry, except one. The face of a teenage girl, about fourteen approaching her. She had green eyes, long silky strawberry blonde hair, and wore a black tank top that showed off her impossibly flat stomach and a mini skirt that showed off her thin legs. She reminded Raven of one of those girls in the chick flicks that was trying to steal the main character's boyfriend.
 
The street was busy and the whole world seemed to not know Raven was there, at least one she felt as though someone had walked right through her. The girl had stopped to just up ahead, people almost walking over her, and getting mad because she was in their way. Still, she stood there. Soon, Raven found, not only was she just standing there, but she looked terrified as well. Like someone was out to get her. Raven knew how she felt. When her father was after her…
 
Suddenly the air filled with smoke and Raven and the girl were the only two people on the street. The figure of a muscular man rose from the smoke. Rave immediately knew. Slade.
 
“There you are darling,” he said, addressing the girl.
 
“Why can't you just go away?” she asked pleadingly.
 
“Because you're mine,” said Slade.
 
“I'm not,” she said.
 
“Oh but you are. It's who you are, who you're going to be. It's called destiny sweetie,” he told her.
 
“Destiny just means not having a choice,” said the girl turning away.
 
“Exactly,” he said, grabbing her arm and turning her to face him.
 
Raven couldn't stand watching it. She remembered being in that position, being reminded of destiny. She felt so bad, she had to help. “Nooo,” she cried, jumping to save the girl from his grasp, but when she was supposed to get her and fly her to safety, she flew right through them.
 
“Nooo,” Raven cried, sitting blot upright, breathing hard. She heard feet running down the hall to her room. She heard the door fall to the ground as Starfire knocked it down. She heard Robin telling everyone to stay back while he went in.
 
“Raven?” he asked.
 
“Get out of my room,” she growled.
 
“Rae, you know that won't work,” he said, sitting on the edge of her bed.
 
Raven sighed.
 
“What is it?” he asked.
 
“It…it was…that girl…again…” Raven stuttered.
 
“The blonde one?” asked Robin.
 
“Yes, but guess who was there this time?” she asked.
 
“Who?” asked Robin.
 
“Slade was there. Telling her she was his, telling her about her destiny,” said Raven.
 
“Then what happened?” he asked, tilting his head to the left.
 
“I tried to get her away from him, but I went right through her. I couldn't help her,” said Raven
 
“I don't know what to say,” said Robin, shaking his head.
 
“I'm worried. I mean, I've been having these dreams for several days, and they've, made me break my own rules. I've been letting people in my room, opening up to them, telling them about my dreams. What does it all mean?” asked Raven, suddenly growing distant.
 
“I don't know,” said Robin, more to himself then to Raven, knowing he'd already lost her to her thoughts. “Goodnight, Raven,” he said leaving the room and joining the other titans who were clueless to the whole thing.
 
Raven sat there for several hours, wondering what it meant. Was this girl just a weaker alter ego of hers? Was she just having nightmares because of Slade and her father? Or was this girl somewhere out there and in serious trouble? What did Slade mean when he said this girl was his? Was she being forced to be his apprentice, like Terra and Robin, or worse, was someone forcing her to marry him? The thought of Slade getting married would've been funny if this girl hadn't been keeping Raven up for weeks and weeks. Slade being in the dreams made it seem that much more real.
 
Good job, Raven, another sleepless night, she thought. When would it all end?
 
She had to find the girl.
 
Wait a second, Raven, what if she doesn't exist? What if you're literally chasing a dream? She asked herself.
 
Plus, what if you get yourself into trouble, the rest of her mind agreed
 
But what if this girl's in trouble, we have to help her, thought her courageous side.
 
Raven, don't even do that. You're sounding like Robin, said her weak side. Once again, tonight was another where she wouldn't sleep. She laid back and let her mind talk to itself.
 
Are you saying you don't look up to Robin and all he's done, after all he's been through, that brave side pointed out.
 
Of course not, but you shouldn't act out of character, or everyone will catch on t what's going on.
 
What's wrong with that?
 
Imagine all the pain, the suffering everyone will go through.
 
These thoughts went on for hours, they never seemed to stop until sometime four hours later when Beast Boy knocked on the door telling her that her waffle was ready. She dragged herself out of bed and followed him into the kitchen. When Starfire saw her she swooped down on her and forced her to take some Tamaranian vitamin to help her get “better.” She guessed Starfire thought she had a cold or something.
 
Before Raven even knew what was happening she was paired up with Beast Boy to go to the grocery store with him. Robin protested, saying he could go, but Starfire insisted that her stay because he always went.
 
It was July in Jump City which meant that it was hot outside. The black clothing wasn't helping at all. Raven for got about all that on the way back from the grocery store when she spotted HER. She was the only other person on the street.
 
The girl from the dream.
 
The air grew foggy, and Raven didn't know what to do. The girl, just like in her dream, looked terrified. So Raven flew over and grabbed her by the hand and pulled her back to where she and Beast Boy had been walking. “What are you…” the girl began but she never finished. Raven used her powers to get Beast Boy, the shopping bags, and the girl back to the tower. They all tumbled through the front door of the kitchen. Where the other titans were waiting for them Beast Boy got up, brushed himself off, and helped the others put away the groceries.
 
“TOFU! EVERYTHING IS TOFU!” whined Cyborg.
 
“That's what you get when you send Beast Boy out to shop,” Raven said.
 
“You didn't try to stop him?” asked Cyborg.
 
“I honestly don't really care what we eat, as long as it's edible,” said Raven
 
“Does this look edible to you?” asked Cyborg, holding the tofu up to her face.
 
“Hooray! You got mustard from the center of shopping for groceries!” Starfire cried.
 
“EVERYBODY QUIET!” said the girl. Nobody moved, except to turn and look at her.
 
“What am I doing here?” asked the girl.
 
“Staying safe,” said Raven.
 
“Excuse me?” asked the girl.
 
“Dude, like, I think this is something we should work out over pizza. We'll finish putting the groceries away, then we'll all go out. My treat,” said Beast Boy.
 
Everyone nodded. “Cool, can I borrow some money, Robin,” asked Beast Boy.
 
“I'll buy,” said Robin, smiling.
 
Raven looked at the girl who was obviously confused. The girl just shrugged and helped everyone with the groceries. Soon Raven joined them, still not quite feeling at easy about the situation, but feeling a whole lot better than she did that night.