Tekken Fan Fiction ❯ Jakunen Mirai ❯ To Be Lost In One's Mind ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

No glistening black limousines, no expensive, sleek sports cars…in fact, it was an old taxi. The whole trip, Kazuya didn't say a word, only that he needed to get to G-Corporation's rebuilt Tokyo office. The cab driver clearly didn't mind, since he didn't make an attempt to even look on the rear view mirror at him, let alone begin a conversation. So Kazuya simply sat quietly in the back of the run-down vehicle - more or less a 1998 Commodore or something similar - and watched the world go by.

After the half an hour trip in rush hour traffic, he paid the driver and stepped out into the crisp morning air, and headed in the glass doors of the imposing skyscraper. As soon as he'd stepped into the lobby, there were faces that recognised him immediately; most of them wore smiles at the sight of him. To their disappointment, however, he didn't return the smiles, just a polite nod. He barely recognised them for a start, and why would they smile at him anyway?

"What do you mean, lost cause? I am not a lost cause!"

"It's been six years, K, there's just about impossible for anything to happen any further at this point."

He scowled. "It doesn't mean there's not a slim chance something might come of it! It may have been six whole years since you finished with me…but I refuse to accept that the experiment was a failure!"

Taking a deep breath, the scientist before him steeled himself, counting to ten, refusing to shout at his 'patient'…who had, over the last few years, been more of a test subject than anything. He didn't care about him, only his research. He knew who this man once was, but he didn't care. His Caucasian superiority granted him the right to do whatever he pleased to the Japanese test subject. Though, he'd found, not everyone agreed. "Look, the human mind is only capable of so much. Even if we told you who you once were, you'd still not remember. Besides, you won't like it."

K-chan used all of his inner strength and self control to hold his fists down by his side, rather than lash out and break the bastard's neck. "I don't fuckin' care if I'll like it or not, I'm tired of this worthless existence in this hell-hole! If I had a life out there, somewhere, surely I'd appreciate knowing what I once was!" He felt one of his lower eyelids twitch slightly, and he knew he'd have to do better in controlling his rage. What he'd found, over this last year in particular, was that he had something inside him, some sort of second consciousness, that fed his rage like fresh wood to dwindling flames. He paused a moment, and forced his voice down in tone and volume. "Listen Greg, I'm not ready to give up with the little work you've done to try and regain my memory. With all the technology at your disposal, you'd be better off using it for the better of the company than using it as Tinkertoys for your pet hamsters."

The middle-aged American didn't say anything for a moment. He knew if he aroused the Japanese man's temper too far, he would really be in for it. After all, his martial arts ability was mind-numbing. Heck, he'd been a fantastic fighter when he was alive the first time. And now, with this regeneration of his body, he was even more fearsome. And looks are deceiving. K-chan, as he was affectionately known as by the nurses around, looked thin and scarred at first glance, but he had deceivingly powerful muscle, despite its lack of bulk. He was stronger than the G-Corporation thought humanly possible for his size and build…not to mention, he had a frighteningly potent temper.

With a sigh, he finally gave in. "Alright, we'll see what we can do. For now, look up this on the intranet." He handed him a small piece of paper with a long string of numbers and letters, which he by now recognised as an information file on G-Corporation's highly secured intranet.

Without saying a word, K-chan turned and exited the small lab, and headed for the nearest computer terminal. The desire to recover his identity - a name, his real self - was too much to resist.

He approached the front desk, as unsmilingly as ever. The receptionist, vaguely familiar, smiled when she saw his face, and clearly had a hard time resisting the urge to give him a tight hug around the neck. Had it really been that long since he'd been in this place he'd once called his home?

"I'm here to see Yasashiku Jiro. He's still here, isn't he?"

She smiled a little more - if it were possible - and nodded. "Yes, he's upstairs…three floors up from his usual place. Can't miss his office, it's about as fancy as they get."

Three floors up…oh yes, he used to be on the 41st floor. Kazuya nodded once, and headed off in that direction, after a quick note of thanks. The receptionist continued to smile.