Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Anime Park ❯ What's wrong with Kagome? ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters!!

Anime Park

Chapter 9: What's wrong with Kagome?

Washu clapped her hands. "Shall we have lunch now?"

"I would like to get some air first." Kagome looked at her companions. "You guys go on without me. I'll catch up."

"Kagome," InuYasha looked at his mate worriedly, "are you ok?"

Kagome shook her head. "Hai, its just a little stuffy in here."

"I'll go with you…." InuYasha started.

Kagome raised her hands to his chest and looked deep into his eyes. "No, InuYasha I need to be alone for a few minutes. I'll be fine."

InuYasha nodded his head, but was not satisfied with that answer. Sango placed the baby back onto the table. "I'll go with her. If its ok with you Kagome."

Kagome glanced at Sango and was about to protest when InuYasha grabbed her shoulders causing Kagome to shift her gaze back to him. Kagome gazed into his eyes. He threw his head back in the direction of the back of the room then slowly started backing away. Kagome caught the hint and followed him. "Uh, I'll be right back."

Kouga stared at InuYasha and began growling. He wasn't sure why the half demon seemed so agitated. "Stupid mutt! Why can't you let her have some privacy?"

Miroku walked over to Kouga and placed his left hand on Kouga's shoulder. "Calm down my good man. This is nothing to get excited over."

"Besides they've already ki….." Shippo's statement was cut off by Miroku's hand connecting with his head.

"Shippo, that won't help," Sango exclaimed. Kouga looked confused.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~

"What's wrong InuYasha? You look worried." Kagome was puzzled. Why would he be worried?

InuYasha wanted to hold her, but his thoughts got the better of him. He stared into her eyes. He remembered that moment when her eyes had turned completely red. He softened his expression. "Kagome, I'm just worried about you. We're in a weird place and I don't trust these people. If you won't let me go with you, at least let Sango, you know that I trust her."

Kagome sighed. "If this is about Kouga….."

InuYasha put his hands on her shoulders and pulled her closer to him. "This is not about Kouga. That arrogant wolf only bothers me when he touches you or makes those stupid comments about loving you."

Kagome lowered her head. "I don't think that is a stupid comment."

"What?" InuYasha was surprised to say the least. "You like hearing that wolf's non-sense?"

"I didn't say anything about liking the person who said it. It's just the thought that someone could love me that's appealing. Forget about that, if you're that worried about me then Sango can accompany me." Kagome wiggled out of his grasp, turned around, and started walking away.

"Wait a minute," InuYasha grabbed her shoulders, "you want someone to love you?"

"Sure InuYasha, what girl, or guy for that matter, doesn't want someone to love them?" She faced him. "Your mother loved you very much. It's a shame that your brother hates you, but take comfort in knowing that my brother looks up to you. I have a feeling that your father loved you as well."

InuYasha blushed. He never thought about it like that. He looked at the ground. All of a sudden, a question danced around in his mind. He returned his gaze to her eyes and without thinking he blurted out, "What about you? Do you love me?" Once he realized what he had said, he shakily took his hands from her shoulders. He briskly turned around on one heel and would have walked away had Kagome not grabbed his kimono.

"Where do you think you're going?" Kagome held his kimono in a death grip. She twisted her hand in his shirt till it was tightly wrapped around her hand.

InuYasha slumped and hung his head low. "If you're going to sit me, just do it. I don't know what came over me."

"Silly mutt!" InuYasha's ears swiveled in her direction. A growl started deep in his stomach, but he managed to cough it down before she noticed. Why had she called him a mutt? Thoughts raced through his mind, memories of a time long forgotten. In his mind he heard the screams, shouts, shots, slaps, and that word, that horrible word. People had called him a mutt for as long as he could remember. He hated the sound of it. The very thought that he was a mutt made him sick. He felt the hand loosen his shirt and slowly turned around, facing Kagome. She was smiling, but why? Had she said that to be mean, or was it all in fun? She couldn't possibly know how much pain that had caused him. Her expression darkened. He gazed at her; a sickening feeling began to grow in his belly. He stood there motionless.

She looked at her hand tightly wrapped in his shirt and slowly released it. She felt an overwhelming sadness radiate off of him. He slowly turned around. She had been smiling, but the instant he turned around all the sadness flooded into her being causing her to drop the smile. She blinked as her vision became blurred. Once her sight came back, she found that she was no longer standing in front of InuYasha. She looked around. A loud scream pierced through the darkness and she grabbed her ears as the sound radiated around in her head, making it seem as if a thousand bombs had been set off right in front of her. Reaching to the side of her head she quickly noticed that her ears were missing. She shook her head as a thought crossed her mind. Shakily she rose her hands higher. When they reached the top of her head, she found the ears that she was afraid to find. Her hand grazed over her hair. Something fuzzy broke the surface and as she explored more she realized that she had dog-ears.

Now thoroughly confused, she glanced at the ground. Her feet seemed a lot shorter than usual. She glanced at her legs and noticed that she was wearing red pants. The scream came again, this time closer than the last. The smell of blood hit her nose like a ton of bricks. Reflexively she put her hand to her nose. She looked around and instinctively took off running in the direction of the screams. Coming around a building, she ground to a halt. A woman sat in the middle of a circle of people. Blood was strewn everywhere. The smell made her sick, but she fought it off as she made her way towards the crowd. She pushed her way past an elderly couple and came to stand in front of the bloodied woman. She felt as if she recognized the woman, but couldn't place the face with a name. The crowd started to laugh. She felt something hit her on the back of her head and she turned around. A man towering overhead stated, "Get lost you stinking mutt. You're kind isn't welcome around here."

More and more people began to pelt her with rocks. Tears flowed like rivers down her face as she ran away from the crowd and eventually out of the village. Stopping at a nearby tree to catch her breath, her vision once again began to blur. Opening her eyes, she saw a very worried looking hanyou staring deep into her eyes. She blinked and raised a hand to his cheek, letting it linger for a moment before she slowly slipped it down the side of his face. His expression softened a bit, but his eyes betrayed his true feelings.

"I'm sorry." It was the only thing she could think of, however she knew it wouldn't ease his pain. The sadness that had enveloped him slowly lifted and was replaced by dread and guilt. His feelings flowed into her once again, causing her to grab her head and cry out in pain.

He circled his arms around her and cradled her body against his chest. She was in pain and all he could do was try to comfort her in the only way he knew how. He looked down upon the fragile body that was curled up in his arms. What had happened to her? Was she sorry for calling him a mutt? She had blacked out for only a moment, but something must have happened during that time.

Her cries ceased and she slowly lifted her head and met his gaze. She now understood a little more about this man before her. She wasn't sure what had transpired, but she was sure that it wouldn't be the last time it happened. He slowly stood up and released her, letting her glide to her feet. She hung onto his shoulder for a moment before letting go. Turning around, she faced a crowd of panic stricken people. As she glanced at each one of them, their expressions lightened up and most of the workers went back to their duties.

Miroku came forward. "Kagome, may I speak with you in private?"

Kagome heard InuYasha growl and watched as the monk raised his hands as if to say that he wouldn't dare touch her. Kagome faced InuYasha once again and his growling ceased as he gazed at her. She smiled and began to walk to the other side of the room. Miroku was dumbfounded and after a few seconds, ran to catch up to her. Kouga stepped forward, but was stopped by Sango, who had grabbed his shirt. InuYasha stepped in Kouga's path, and the wolf prince sighed in irritation. Kagome opened a door and walked out into an open field. At the other side of the field was a large enclosure. She heard the door close behind her and turned to face Miroku.

"My lady, may I ask what happened to you back there?"

"I….. I….. I'm not sure."

He lowered his gaze for a second, frowning his head in deep concentration. He returned his gaze to her, a determined look upon his face. "I felt a power cascade off your body. It seemed to collide with InuYasha for the brief moment that your eyes were closed. Kagome, I've never felt this power from you before. Then you grabbed your head….."

"I…. I felt InuYasha's sadness. It felt as if all his pain rushed into my body, as if he wanted me to know how he felt. The pain, the suffering, and all the turmoil that he must have went through as a child. Why, you ask? It was all because I called him a silly mutt. He must hate me right now." She turned away from Miroku as tears gently flowed down her cheeks.

Miroku reached a hand out then lowered it as the image of an angry hanyou and Sango filled his mind. He shook his head. "Kagome….. I don't think he hates you. He is worried about you, as is everyone else. You really gave us a scare back there."

"You must think I'm crazy. Good old Kagome has gone and flipped her lid. Miroku," she turned around violently, "please don't tell InuYasha about this. He has too much to worry about. This doesn't need to be added to his proverbial fire."

Miroku was too stunned for words. "But my lady, what happens if this becomes a regular occurrence? You don't think it'll go unnoticed, do you?"

She thought about that for a moment. "I guess your right. For the moment I would like to keep this between the two of us. If you sense anything else from me, let me know."

Miroku nodded his head, not quite liking this agreement, but agreeing to it nonetheless. "On one condition."

"Oh gods, don't ask me to bear your child. Don't even think about touching me either," she thought. "And that condition would be?"

Miroku's expression didn't waver as he looked into her eyes. "You tell me the minute you feel anything strange. Don't keep any secrets from me, because you know that I have my ways of finding out."

Kagome nodded her head. "Hai, I understand."

"Is there anything else you wish to tell me?"

She thought for a moment, but decided not to tell him about the dream she had after she drank InuYasha's blood. Besides she didn't know who those people were and she wanted answers above anything else. "Not at this time. I'm not saying that I won't tell you, just give me time to figure this thing out for myself, ok?"

Miroku sighed. "That sounds fair."

Kagome turned around facing the field once again. "What do you say the two of us go see what that," she pointed to the compound at the end of the field, "is?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~

InuYasha's eyes danced around the dining room. Television screens were hung all around the room, showing various areas of the park, but surprisingly not showing animals. Washu was rambling on about her park, which didn't interest InuYasha in the least bit. Kagome had yet to come back from her talk with Miroku, and this was upsetting InuYasha. He made a motion to stand up, but Sango grabbed his shirt and gave him a look that told him to sit down or die. He promptly sat back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest. Satisfied, Sango returned her attention to Washu.

InuYasha leaned over and whispered into Sango's ear. "What's wrong with you? Let me go find Kagome."

Sango still sat transfixed on Washu, but whispered back. "She's alright. Miroku is with her. Settle down."

"You think that makes me happy? That lecherous priest….." His statement was cut short when Sango snapped her head around, the look of death in her eyes. InuYasha gulped.

"If Miroku values our little agreement, he wouldn't dare touch her. You trust Kagome right?" Sango glared at InuYasha, who had backed into the far reaches of his chair.

What had gotten into this girl? "Uh….. Of course I do. Why?"

"Then trust that she'll tell us if Miroku does anything to her. Besides, I have a feeling that Miroku is scared of what happened to her. If any of us could figure it out, it would be him. Let him get to the bottom of it. If it's anything for us to be concerned about, they will let us know." Sango narrowed her eyes at InuYasha, and then returned her gaze to Washu, now noticing that the room was silent and all eyes were on their conversation. Sango smiled. InuYasha settled back into his chair and decided never to get on Sango's bad side.