Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Bound Through Space ❯ To Meet Her New Father ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

To meet her new Father

Ayeka didn't want to make the journey. Didn't want to cross the vast reaches of space just to kowtow to some stupid man and his stupid, stupid family. She was the First Princess of the single richest nation in the entirety of the universe. Or at least she thought she was. 'I'll have to look that up before I go bragging about it.' She thought to herself.


Not mean spirited by nature, Ayeka was simply tired of shifting from place to place while her mother searched for a suitable man to latch onto. Ayeka loved her mother dearly and respected her for all the sacrifices that had been made. With that said it baffled Ayeka how a woman that was so desperate for male attention could possible raise a daughter so self-reliant. Ayeka could never understand her mother's need for a man by her side. To Ayeka men were necessary, but not something one sought with one's entire life focus.

It didn't make sense as to why she would have to visit this man's family and pretend to like them before her mother got hitched to him. In all honesty Ayeka was a little frightened by the prospect of being a part of a family. It had been years since she had lived in anything resembling a cohesive family unit. With her mother out gallivanting across space, her father dead and being an only child, Ayeka didn't have a clue what to expect. With a sigh Ayeka decided again to make the best of a bad situation. She would try and if that man didn't accept her then that was his problem.

Turning on her heel from the view of the darkness of space Ayeka looked at the picture of the Royal family her mother was marrying into. The Emperor appeared to be a kindly sort of man with a beard that hid the lower half of his face. The woman to his left was the Queen; something in the woman's eyes sent a shiver of fear down Ayeka's spine. It was as if the woman was threatening the photographer, daring him to take a bad picture of her family. Ayeka hoped for the sake of the photograph that the woman approved.

Then figuring that the picture would never come into her possession if it hadn't Ayeka continued her regard of the photograph. In front of the Queen was her daughter, the Princess Sasami. The kind smile and warm laughing eyes instantly drew Ayeka's smile.


If Princess Sasami was as kind in real life as she appeared in the photograph Ayeka saw absolutely no problem with joining the family. With a sigh Ayeka appraised the woman standing to the right of the Emperor. Beautiful, this woman was simply gorgeous. The cascade of mountainous red hair, the knowing glint in the emerald eyes, the delicate smile that turned her lips.

Ayeka had always regarded her mother as one of the most beautiful woman in the universe. Now, looking at this woman, Ayeka adjusted her mother ranking to somewhere within the top 10. Shaking her head Ayeka returned her gaze to the photograph. Standing, almost brooding, before the gorgeous redhead was a woman that appeared to be the same age as Ayeka. Her stance defiant, her hair a contrast to the rest of the family, her eyes a startling shade of gold.

This was to become her other sister? This woman? Ayeka had a hard time reconciling the differences between the kind and seemingly gentle Sasami, with this brash and bold character. What was her name?

Turning to the letter on the table Ayeka read off the names. The Emperor Misato, The Queen Misaki, The First Princess Ryoko, The Second Princess Sasami and The Royal Concubine Washu. Ryoko? Looking back at the photograph, Ayeka stifled a giggle. Yes, Demon summoner was an appropriate name. Ayeka wondered exactly how much trouble Little Ryoko must have been as a child. Looking at the proud regent Ayeka wondered if she would fit in. Would this family before her accept her? Would the two girls be willing to accept a new sibling? Question after question tumble through her mind.

Ayeka worried how was she to act around them. She had never really been part of a family, definitely never had siblings. How was she to act? Closing her eyes Ayeka hoped that the answers would come to her. With another sigh, Ayeka returned the photograph of her new family to the dresser and regarded herself in the mirror, unconsciously comparing herself to her soon-to-be new younger sister. Would men consider her the smart one, and her new sister the pretty one? Would her sister hate her? Would her sister like her? Would they fight? Would they become best friends? With a slight chuckle Ayeka realized it hadn't taken her very long to customize herself to the idea of having sisters.

With a small smile Ayeka looked back at the photograph. Yes, soon she would have a real family. No more roaming the stars hoping someone would miss her. No more waiting in drafty palaces hoping someone would come for her. No, with a family there she would always feel needed. With sisters she would always have someone that cared. For the first time since she began the trek, Ayeka felt excitement. Turning her eyes to stare at the photograph again, Ayeka looked at her soon-to-be closest sibling. With a startled gasp Ayeka dropped the picture.

It had winked at her!! The picture had winked! Ryoko's face had changed from the sulking, brooding pout to a taunting smirk her eyes dancing with mischievousness and laughter. And just when Ayeka was certain she could hear the musical ring of Ryoko's laughter in her ears, one of the sublimely golden eyes blinded shut. Just for an instant. Looking down at the broken glass at her feet, Ayeka looked at the picture and sure enough, there staring out at her was that very same playful smile.

Afraid to touch the photograph Ayeka looked at the rest of the family. Nobody else's posture had changed. The Emperor stood proudly, Queen Misaki's glare remained, Sasami appeared happy, unchanged and Washu seemed beautifully unmoved. Ryoko however appeared moved again. Looking as if to be talking to someone just outside of the photograph's spectrum. Amazed Ayeka watched as the scene in the photograph changed again, appearing more like a recording than a still photograph. The family behind Ryoko came to life, Sasami fidgeting in Misaki's grasp, the Emperor trying to convince Misaki that Sasami looked fine, Washu chuckling as she watched, and Ryoko trying to convince someone off camera into the photo. After what seemed like hours, Ryoko held out her hand to someone. Ayeka gasped as she recognized the hand that emerged from the side of the photo.

Slowly Ayeka entered the photo, a shy and timid smile emerging on her face. Once fully in the photograph, the family turned back to the camera. This time the Emperor stood behind Ryoko, again with Misaki to his left and Washu to his right. To Ryoko's left stood Sasami the little princess was still firmly clutched in her mother's arms. To Ryoko's right stood Ayeka with Washu's right hand on her shoulder. Ayeka looked down and there on Ryoko's left wrist was a unity band, which hadn't been there before the action had started. And just when Ayeka thought the picture would stop moving, she watched as Ryoko's right hand grabbed her photographic counterpart's left and then stared directly at the camera. Then it seemed as if the camera's shutter had snapped closed and then all life was gone from the picture, with Ryoko still holding Ayeka's hand.

Blinking several times, Ayeka stared down at the photograph, hoping that somehow the photo would return to its previous state. Nothing had changed; she was now a part of the photograph. Bending down to clean the mess of glass Ayeka delicately picked the larger pieces of glass from the hardwood floor. Without paying attention to the action Ayeka unwittingly cut her finger on a jagged, almost serrated edge of a glass shard. Hissing in pain, Ayeka quickly dumped the glass in her injured hand into the disposal receptacle and immediately thrust the injured digit into her mouth.

With careful steps Ayeka avoided stepping on the remaining glass, reaching the door to her room Ayeka waited for the doors to slide open and then left down the hall in search of the medical facilities. Arriving at the med. fac. Ayeka nodded her acknowledgement of the people around her as they all bowed deeply. Reaching the first person resembling a doctor Ayeka pulled her finger out of her mouth and presented the moist digit to the man. With a raised eyebrow the gentleman turned from Ayeka and walked over to a chest on the wall, opened it and retrieved an adhesive bandage. Returning to Ayeka the gentleman handed it too her. Then without a backward glance left the princess.

What an odd sort of fellow? Ayeka wondered as she watched the man's back disappear into the crowd. Oh well, never mind. With a shrug Ayeka began unwrapped the bandage and wrapped it around her injury. That will have to do. Now what was I going to do? Oh yes. "Excuse me," Ayeka said softly as she approached what looked like a nurse and his patient, "but you know how much time is left until we reach Caladan?"

"Yes, your highness, it will take roughly two hours 21 minutes and oh.... 34, 33, 32, 31, 30, twenty-ni..." the young man being attended to was cut off by a swift jabbing elbow to the kidneys from the nurse. Glaring at his healer-gone tormenter, the young man turned back to Ayeka to issue his apology. Accepting the young man's apology Ayeka left to return to her room.


Two hours didn't leave her much time to prepare to meet her new family for the first time. New family? How foreign the words had seemed at the beginning of the trip? How in simply the space of four weeks the group of people that she had never met had slowly gained a place in her heart? Ayeka had to admit these new feelings had sprung up once she had received the photograph. Ayeka had always known about her special ability.


It had taken most of Ayeka's life to come to terms with it. Because of them Ayeka avoided those her own age. Children were cruel especially to those different or unusual. And as Ayeka had found out through life, royal children were worst than commoners. Something about status and position made most royal children staggeringly cruel once they discovered her secret. Ayeka had heard rumors that the Princess Ryoko exhibited powers that had never been seen before by any other royals even the Juraian. Ayeka instantly felt a bond to the golden-eyed princess.

Maybe she was teased like me? When Ayeka looked into the picture and searched those flaxen eyes, she saw strength borne out of adversity. Yes, Ryoko had known the pain of intolerance, and lack of acceptance. Touching the frame Ayeka looked longingly at the acceptance and love that the family staring back at her shared. Hoping for more from the photograph than just images Ayeka's hand drifted from the frame to the actual photograph, carefully avoiding the remaining shards.

And with a flash she was there, experiencing the moment. Feeling the loneliness of the first picture being taken; then the happiness as Ryoko pointed to Ayeka and indicated with her finger for Ayeka to join. With a smile and hope Ayeka reached out to Ryoko's hand. Settling herself at Ryoko's side Ayeka looked at her new sister with pride. Ryoko would make an excellent monarch, strong and proud, tender and kind, determined and forceful. Ryoko was velvet wrapped steel. Soft and decadent, with a core of unbreakable will.

As Ayeka turned her head to the photograph she felt Ryoko's hand wrap around hers. And just as the camera shutter snapped, Ayeka felt the unity band slide down Ryoko's wrist to graze the underside of her pinkie. And with the slight contact, Ayeka was flung into another moment in time. Opening her eyes slowly Ayeka was unsure as to whether or not she was even herself. Was this a future even, or past? Was this experience to be one of her own or another's? Question after question rolled through her, until someone approached her.

To say the young man standing before her was handsome was to do an injustice to his looks. There were no words that Ayeka knew of, that were adequate enough to describe him and do an accurate job. His long dark hair was fashioned into a low gathered ponytail. His clothing, though alien to Ayeka, fit his body graciously allowing the eye to appraise the well-toned muscle beneath. His walk was sensual with the gracefulness of a jungle cat. As he approached her, his left hand lifted to caress her cheek. Ayeka's heart began to pound in her chest. This dream of a man wanted to touch her. And when at last the slow moving hand made gentle contact, Ayeka smiled with contentment. His fingers delicately stroked her skin, making a purr rise from within Ayeka's throat.

Ayeka's eyes fluttered closed as his head bent towards hers. At the first contact of his lips on her Ayeka sighed which parted her lips slightly. Taking this as an invitation to deepen the kiss the dream prince slowly ran his tongue across Ayeka's lips before demanding entrance. And of course Ayeka gave him what he wanted. Moaning into his mouth and wrapping her arms around his neck Ayeka leaned her body into his as her legs felt about to give way. Pulling away from the kiss when her lungs demanded air, Ayeka slowly opened her eyes.

Only to look up into the most gloriously deep brown eyes she had ever seen in her life. Awash with love, lust and happiness; those same brown eyes stared into hers. She could learn to love this man. Hell, if the feelings she was feeling were truly her own, then she did love him. Turning her head to push her cheek further into the palm caressing her, Ayeka looked dead at the unity band on his left wrist. A dead match for Ryoko's band. With a sense of dread Ayeka lifted her left wrist. Peering down between their bodies Ayeka looked at her wrist and saw exactly what she expected to see, the twin to the band around his wrist. The short-lived hope died and unexpected death as Ayeka realized exactly who she was for this particular memory. And for an instant Ayeka hated Ryoko. The emotion past as rapidly as it had emerged, and as the man before her began to speak Ayeka looked up at him.

Once again staring into luscious brown eyes, Ayeka watched as his full lips formed words that forever would bind him to Ryoko. Then another kiss and he was sliding the second band on her wrist. Silence reigned as Ayeka stood there. Then shaking out of her stupor, Ayeka looked around at the gathering of people. There around her sat her family, Ryoko's family. The Emperor, Queen Misaki, an older looking Sasami, a crowned Washu, Ayeka and her mother. While this hadn't been the first time Ayeka had seen herself from someone else's perspective; it had been the first time the alternate Ayeka had known it. The future Ayeka gave an angry glare to the couple particularly at her past self. With an impatient movement of her hand the future Ayeka indicated for the past Ayeka to continue with the ceremony.

Unsure as to why her future self would be upset Ayeka turned to the man at her side and repeated the vows he had just said. Then she too placed a second band on his wrist. Finally the pair kissed again, and a thunderous roar rose from the populace that watched from outside the cathedral. Smiling with joy Ayeka turned back to her family. Feelings of happiness overwhelmed her as she received the blessings of each of her family members. And when the time came for her future self to be received Ayeka held her breath.


"He's not yours. This moment was Ryoko's and you've stolen it. She will never have this memory and you will!" Her future self hissed into her ears. Shock flashed across Ayeka's face. Was it so wrong to want a moment with this loving man?

"He's not yours!! Yours will be coming soon. Heed my warning; don't let him get between you and Ryoko. Because of this I was not at her side during this ceremony. I hate both of us for that!" The pained looked that appeared in her future self's eyes gave Ayeka pause. "It will take years to repair the damage that allowing him between us made. Please if you want to share this memory at her side, don't let him mean more than just a friend." And as a tear trickled its way from her future self's eyes, Ayeka took the warning to heart. Then as ceremony dictated the two Ayekas kissed one another on the cheek then the memory was over.

Shaking her head and stumbling away from the fallen picture, Ayeka looked around for some indication of time. Looking at the grand clock hanging from the wall opposite her, Ayeka noticed the time. Whew, only an hour and a half had past. Ayeka had been known to get lost in visions for days. Wait a minute!?! An HOUR AND A HALF!?!? That only left her with half-hour to get ready to meet her new family. Tsunami's ankles!! "Okay, so I have no idea how to curse." Ayeka muttered to herself.

Racing to her closet and flinging one article of clothing after another over her shoulder Ayeka tried desperately to find the perfect outfit that would make the perfect statement. And still leave her with enough time to put on her make-up and style her hair. Impossible!!