Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Perfect Princess ❯ Ch. 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Ch.9: Time to say, I Do?

*****************

"how long to say, I care for you? How long to say...what I feel inside? Stay now, and stay with me forever, or turn away, and leave me forever. make your choice, and do not turn back." ---Lady Sapphire, "How Long to Say"

*****************

*Dream*

"Hello!? Is anyone here!?" I was in the hallway of the castle..

Voices...

Ashli! What is she doing!?

"Ashli? Whats going-!" She clamped a hand over my mouth. She just put a finger to her lips, telling me to keep quiet.

"Maladin. Be careful. You cannot marry him. He is Darkness."

*End Dream*

I sat up quickly, sweating from my dream.

"Wha--? Darkness...?" I laid back down, and was asleep again quickly.

***Morning,

The crowds for the wedding were growing larger every second I looked out the window. Nobles, kings, queens, and ambassadors from all over the universe were coming for this. Here, in my room, my servants and the wedding party were getting dressed for the 'big day'. I had not spoken to Tenchi or Ryoko since yesterday; but I did not have the time to either. Sasami was one of my bridesmaids; mother and Aunt Funaho said she was to young to be the Maid of Honor.

So in her place was Ashli.

Where is she anyway?

Looking around, I beckoned to a servant.

"Where is her Majesty, Ashli of the Star Empire?"

My servant shook her head, then assured me she would go she where she was.

"Oh, I hope she's okay Ayeka. It would be awfull if something happened to her." Sasami looked up to me with her ruby colored eyes, filled with hope, and fear at the same time.

***

"Oooh...Sapphire...?"

"No my dear Lady; It is Prince Maladin. Do you know where you are?"

"Unfortunately, yes."

He sneered. "Such manners for one of such lineage. The wedding will start soon, your Knights will not arrive in time, and neither you nor they can do anything to stop this wedding."

(A/N: Knights = Sailor Knights. I am going to *eventually* start my own solo series with them.)

"I can stop you."

"No, Lady, you cannot. See, I," He holds up a fancy-looking brroch, " have you transformation locket, and you are weak as a kitten. No, you cannot stop me."

******
I looked to the door, where the servant stood, fearful of whatever news she brought of my friend.

We often think of ourselves of more than friends; indeed, we had performed what is called a 'blood bonding', which actually makes us sisters.

"Well, what news?"

"Sh-she is g-gone, my lady. She is nowhere to be found, niether her nor her pet cheetah." The younger girl cringed back, as if I was to hurt her. Looking up again, the door opened, this time with Tenchi, Ryoko, and the other girls standing there.

"What are all of you doing in here? Don't you know its rude to walk in unanounced like that? Really, I thought-"

"Shut your trap Ayeka. Somethings up, and we want to know what. I know your little friend's gone; I heard something going on outside. When I got there, no one was around. What are you doing Ayeka!?"

Ryoko seemed quite out of character, to be worrying about someone of royalty;especially someone she had never met before.

Arching a curved brow, I looked at my one-time rival.

"What does it look like I'm doing Ryoko? I am getting dressed for the wedding - MY wedding. If you have some sort of problem with that, you can just leave. No one said you had to stay -- in fact, I think you weren't even invited." Cooly, I turned back around in the chair I was sitting in, so that the servants could finish my hair.

Looking out of the corner of my eye at Sasami, I knew I had scared her with my little outburst. I did not wish to scare her, but I knew I should not have been cross -- even though I was. I was cross because this should be the happiest day of my life, but I was marrying someone I hardly knew, and most certainly did not love.

I was cross because something seems to have happened to my best friend - my sister, and there was nothing I could do except sit here and pretend nothing was wrong.

I could feel him walking up to me before he said anything, It seems, as much as I did not want to, I had made Tenchi mad.

But why did I care? He chose Ryoko, and had made no attempt to stop my marriage...so what did I care that I had made him mad?

Because I knew I still cared for him.

"Ayeka! Why are you acting this way? No matter how many times you and Ryoko fought, it was never like that! Now, apologize to Ryoko, and the rest of the girls! Look at me Ayeka an --"

I stood up so quickly that I could hear an audible gasp from everyone in the room. Glaring at both Tenchi and Ryoko, I could feel this overpowering sense come over me; as if I wasn't just little Ayeka the princess anymore -- I was a future Empress of Jurai.

"YOU dare tell ME what to do!? HOW dare you, Tenchi Masaki! Of all the times Ryoko and I fought, you hardly did anything except sit there and sigh, waiting for us to finish. Never once did you step between us. It didn't matter then who threw insults at each other, so long as you got to finish your homework, and that the house was still in one piece! Tenchi, I am getting married today; but it seems to matter not to hardly anyone, just so long as peace remains between this Empire and that Shadow Kingdom. And you presume to tell me to apologize to a space pirate who nearly destroyed my home, and everything I knew! GET OUT OF HERE! ALL OF YOU!! GET OUT!"

Both servants and friends looked startled at my outburst. I glared continuosly at them, until they left. Tenchi, Ryoko, Washu, Mihoshi, Kiyone; they all hung their heads low. One by one, they left.

Finally, I couldn't stand it anymore, and dropped to my knees, and started sobbing.

After a few seconds -- minutes? I didn't know. I felt someone else in the room. A strong, overpowering presence.

Looking up, I saw him.

My father.

Frantically trying to stand up and look as if nothing happened, I nearly tripped over the wedding gown I was in.

"I -- is there something the matter, father?"

I heard him sigh; I looked up, and just...stared at my father, inspecting him.

I don't know why I had never seen it before, it was written all over his face. His hair seemed to be graying, and the worry lines of age were ever-so present on his face. He seemed to carry an unseen burden on his shoulders, making him look much more aged that he should have been.

"Ayeka, daughter, come here." Now, once you paid attention to his voice, you could hear it in him.

My father just seemed...so old.

Obediently, I went to him. He sat down on the little bench that was against the wall of my room. He motioned for me to sit next to him; I did.

Sighing again, he started speaking. "Ayeka, do you know the real reason that you are marrying Maladin?"

There was a gentleness in his voice now; one that I had not heard since I was but Sasami's age.

He continued, without waiting for my answer.

"Ayeka, one day, I will not be here, you know that. With Yosho refusing to come to the throne, this Empire is being left to you. The reason I have been so adamant about you marrying is so that, when I am gone, I will know you will be taken care of. I am old, Ayeka, and I know my time will come soon. This Empire, your mother, aunt, and sister will be left in your care.
I knew you would have rather married Tenchi; but Yosho would not hear of forcing the two of you to wed. I had not even spoken to Tenchi.
Then, a few months back, Prince Maladin shows up at court, saying he has a marriage proposal for you.
Seeing no other option, I signed the papers, knowing you would have hated me for doing so without your consent.
I hope that, one day, you will be able to forgive me."

By now, I was as teary-eyed as my father. I knew all the times that I had rejected all the suitors, I was being selfish; beleiving that my father only cared about his kingdom. When, all along, he was trying to make sure I would be taking care of.

I reached over, and hugged my father as tight as I could, crying more than I ever had in a long time.

Once we pulled apart, I saw my father smiling; one of those rare, true smiles.

"Now, lets get you married."

**********************************************

A/N: Looks like I get to leave everyone in a cliffhanger again! Was it good? Bad? Tell me what you think! Laterz!
--Lady Sapphire Star