Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ The Trial ❯ "Who Do We Trust?" ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*Disclaimer: The main characters in this story are property of AIC, Pioneer, & Viz Comics. All the other characters were created by me, so any similarities are just dumb luck so please don't sue me.

** Author's notes: This story takes place about a year after "Tenchi Forever" in which it follows the "Tenchi Universe" storyline, though some names and places from the OAV and manga might appear. C & C is welcomed, but remember, this is my first fanfic, so easy on the flame throwing!

The Trial: by alighthawk

Chapter 11 - "Who Do We Trust?"

"Can this day get any worse?!?"

"You must remain calm Ayeka. Once Kamidake fills us in on the recent events that has occurred on Jurai, we can proceed with our next move," Lord Yosho replied calmly as he, the irritated Princess Ayeka and the loyal knight Azaka hurriedly entered the darken outer hallways of the Ministry Council of Jurai. After the Royal Palace, the Ministry Building was the biggest edifice on Jurai. The sleek dark gray marble structure was so tall that it nearly reached up towards the sky, giving the impression that its pointed tip could touch the heavens. Standing on each side were two ancient trees, about a third the size of the MB with some of its older thicker branches immersed into the marble. When the MB was first constructed 3,000 years ago, it was hoped that the manner of how the edifice was created would forever remind the people's symbiotic relationship with nature.

"Yosho, how can you be so calm about this? Ryoko's going to be tried for murder; our people are becoming restless and fearful because they suspect that I will try to vindicate her regardless whether she's guilty of innocent, not to mention that every known galactic news agency is here on Jurai to see Ryoko get hauled off to prison and Lord Tenchi loses his cool and strikes one of them. If that doesn't constitute a bad day I don't know what is."

"Just another day in the lives of the Royal Family, eh Ayeka?" Yosho answered with his dry wit, sensing how overwhelmed the young princess was becoming. "I understand your frustration Ayeka, but this is what our adversary wants us to feel. The fact that some of the council members have some political motive to see you in distress is another matter we need to address," the old shrine master concluded as the trio climbed on a lighted escalator that led them to the inner sanctum of the ministry building. While the size of the media contingent took the old prince by surprise, the events that took place a while ago did not.

"What is your suggestion now Lord Yosho? How do we proceed?" Azaka grimly asked as he took up the rear. The knight had always been leery when entering the building, fearing that some crazed fool would want to assassinate one of Jurai's top leaders.

"As we discussed back on the ship, Tenchi will accompany Ryoko while we speak to one of the high ministers of the council. Afterwards I shall try to contact Washu and see if any evidence has turned up from her end," Yosho answered as they stepped off the escalator and walked briskly ahead towards the two massive brass doors that hid the chamber of Jurai's ministers. Each golden colored door had decorated markings, indicating certain periods of Jurai's long history. Inscribed at the top of the doorway, an ancient Juraian phrase was displayed, citing the first session of the council. 'By the will of the Tsunami, no task shall be too difficult to achieve. By the will of the people, we shall set forth and achieve those tasks.'

Just before they departed from the Saibankan It was agreed that Tenchi would go with Ryoko when Constable Janus Krieg and his full complement of guards would escort the pirate to the Jurai Planetary Detention Center for processing. Tagging along with Tenchi would be the young soldier Lucas, whom Azaka had grown to trust and had requested to Princess Ayeka that she transfer his duties from the Saibankan to guard duty under the direct orders of Azaka and Kamidake. Ayeka happily obliged and issued the order, much to the protest of the ship's captain. In the meantime, Sasami and Ryo-ohki would be sent directly to the palace under heavy security. While it was acknowledged by the Holy Council that the cabbit/spaceship aided the space pirate in her various escapades throughout the years, they determined that she had no direct involvement with the murder of Lord Braga and therefore was released into the custody of the Royal Family.

As the three powerful Juraians reached the entrance, the doors swung open as the sound of machinery strained to push out the heavy man-made monoliths. As they entered the chamber, two men approached them. One was an older looking gentleman, wearing the official garbs of the Holy Council. The other man was much younger, dressed in a conservative drab olive suit, an aide to the older man no doubt.

"Princess Ayeka! Lord Yosho! It's so good to see you all again," the old minister proclaimed as he welcomed the weary space travelers. " Azaka, you're looking well."

"Minister Aztek. How nice of you to receive us. Allow me to offer my condolences on the death of your brother Lord Braga," Ayeka responded as each party politely bowed at one another.

Lord Aztek, the Minister of Public Information and Relations and the older brother of Lord Braga. The siblings originated from the noble house of Tiberon, one of the few surviving houses that were spared the embarrassment of revealing their servitude of Kagato. Both brothers were already respected members of the Holy Council, but when the majority of ministry leaders resigned under pressure and disgrace, Aztek and Braga quickly rose to prominent positions in the council. Braga handled the finances of the empire while Aztek overlooked all information coming in and out from Jurai. While Azaka and Kamidake served as temporary regents for Ayeka, the other ministers ran the kingdom as they saw fit and for the most part, ran it without question.

"That's very kind of you your highness. While I am finally relieved that Braga's murderer has been brought to justice, I feel somewhat saddened that it had to be someone you know personally."

"Lord Aztek, with all due respect to your loss, Ryoko hasn't been tried yet and I still have my doubts on whether she committed the crime in question," the princess said earnestly.

"Yes…you're quite right Princess Ayeka, but please forgive me if I say that you're too involved with this incident. Most of the public opinion is very negative with regards to the space pirate Ryoko and the fact that a crown prince is romantically involved with her, as well as the former liege and crown princess being her associates…well, it does not look very favorable."

"Is that what the people think Minister Aztek? That we are in league with a murderer?" Yosho questioned the nobleman, looking quite annoyed. "If so, what has the council done to quell this hostile situation?"

"Well, we have sent out announcements and correspondences to the different media outlets, insisting that they keep an open mind about this, but alas they have seen footage of my brother's death and considering Ryoko's past history, they're ready to find her guilty."

"What rubbish! Ryoko may have been a criminal, but she has never been known to commit murder and she certainly has no reason to commit this one," Ayeka shouted back, seeing the condescending look on Aztek's face, sensing that the minister was doing nothing to diffuse the situation. "Perhaps Lord Aztek, that it might be you that is too closely involved with this investigation and are allowing your personal feelings to cloud your judgment?"

Aztek smirked when he heard Ayeka's accusations. He had anticipated that the young royal would bring the subject up and therefore he was ready with response.

"I know that's what you wish to believe your highness, but when you read my report you will find that most of action taken in the investigation was under the direction of Captain Bizon of the Intelligence Division. Azaka and Kamidake can confirm this."

Yosho and Ayeka turned towards the loyal knight who reluctantly nodded in agreement. Azaka knew before he left Jurai that the investigation was under way and that minister Aztek had no official ties with the case. Still, everyone in the room knew that Aztek had enough influence to steer the investigation one way or another.

"Perhaps we have jumped to conclusions Lord Aztek, please forgive us," Yosho told the PR minister. "I think it is best now that we retire to our quarters and resume this debriefing tomorrow morning. At the meantime, would you so kindly send all available reports to Princess Ayeka's private chambers so that we may examine the investigation further?

"As you wish Lord Yosho. I will have my assistant here transfer all available data to her majesty's quarters. In the meantime, if there's anything else that you need don't hesitate to summon me."

"Then it's agreed. Lord Aztek, tomorrow I expect every member of the Holy Council to be in attendance for tomorrow's emergency session. Too many rumors are flying around and they need to be addressed." Ayeka sternly ordered Aztek as she and her party began to head out the door. "Like it or not, this trial will be conducted in a dignified and fair process. If any of the ministers have any objections, they can address them here. Is that understood?"

"Yes your highness. I shall convey your message to the other cabinet members. Until then, have a pleasant day," Aztek smiled wryly once more, knowing that the princess will be facing a monumental task tomorrow.

"Yes, until then. Come Yosho, Azaka. We have other important matters to attend to." Ayeka commanded as the trio abruptly left the council chambers and proceeded to leave the building. When they were out of earshot, Aztek's young aide approached him.

"Sir, what do you think they'll do?"

"What do you think? They will try to vindicate that criminal scum, but I won't let that happen. Despite their efforts, I will not let that pirate bitch leave Jurai alive. Have Captain Bizon contact me, I wish to know how his investigation is going and perhaps furnish him with some more damaging news items…"

"As you command minister," the young aide replied as he bowed to Aztek and hurried off to complete his assignment.

"Sorry my dear princess Ayeka, but I have too many things going for me now and I refuse to have you and the royal family foil my plans. If things go according to my plan, you may yet join your pirate friend…"

*****************************************

"Tenchi…that was probably the sweetest thing you ever did for me, decking that nosy reporter to the ground, but it wasn't one of your better decisions either," Ryoko kindly commented to her love as she, Tenchi, Lucas and a whole squadron of Juraian soldiers were transported to the detention center, a kilometer away from the spaceport. The long, gray oval shaped hover vehicle slowly made its way through the streets of Jurai's capital, escorted by several heavily armed sky cycles.

The craft itself had several soldiers manning rapid fire laser weapons on each side of the craft in the event someone may want to attack it or perhaps be daring enough to try and free Ryoko, but the route the ship was taking was caromed off from all traffic and pedestrians, leaving a clear road towards the maximum secured prison.

"I know what I did was wrong Ryoko, but I couldn't stand what that idiotic reporter was saying about you...about us," Tenchi replied, his face still seething with anger over the incident. "Bad enough the public thinks you committed this murder, but to have people gossip and start rumors about us is more than I can take."

"I know that sweetie and you mean well, but you gotta remember that people have a bad opinion of me for many years so this ain't nothing new to me," Ryoko reminded Tenchi about her sordid past as the lovers held hands. "You, on the other hand my love, are a crown prince and for them to see you with me is something these folks can barely stomach and the media is feeding off of that."

As they continued to talk, the voice of Constable Krieg boomed over the intercom of the vehicle, causing everyone inside to pay attention.

"We'll reach the detention center within a few minutes. All guards check your weapons and standby to disembark. The Captain of the Guard will inspect the prisoner's restraints and neural collar. Should the prisoner make any false moves or attempts to leave the ship, your orders are shoot to kill, I repeat: Shoot to Kill!"

"My, he certainly has a knack of making one feel wanted. You'd think I was going to make a break for it." Ryoko quipped, trying to lighten Tenchi's mood a little, but the young prince still displayed a grim expression on his face.

"You must remember Ryoko, you have been on the GP most wanted list for decades," young Lucas interjected. "Now that they have you, they will go to extreme lengths to ensure that you'll be incarcerated for a very long time until they pronounce your sentence, which will likely be your death."

"Geez, you sure know how to make a person feel right at home," Ryoko snapped back as she looked around the compartment and saw the looks of the other soldiers' faces. They all had the same look: fear and hatred. It's the expressions she had seen many times over the years during her plundering of all known space. Even had the murder of Lord Braga hadn't occurred, the cyan pirate knew all too well that the GP and Jurai military had wanted to capture her very badly.

"This is totally unfair! If it weren't for Ryoko, Kagato would still be sitting at the throne! Why can't you all give her the benefit of the doubt?" Tenchi stood up and screamed at the armed squadron, who were startled momentarily by the prince's sudden outburst. To Tenchi, the Juraians seem to have a short memory span since it was public knowledge that Ryoko risked her life to get Tenchi and the knights on Jurai and to allow them to face the false emperor Kagato.

"My lord, yelling at these men won't do you any good. Many of us here have our doubts as well, but we have our orders. Please try to understand…"

"He's right Tenchi; you're just wasting your time here," Ryoko joined in as she reached up with her shackled hands and grasped her lover's shoulders, gesturing him to sit down. "They got their orders as well as the media's attention. The only way I'm gonna be proven innocent is through their court system, which I'm not too confident with in the first place."

"Yeah, but we got grandpa helping Ayeka out, as well as Azaka and Kamidake. With them on our side, we got a chance to prove your innocence."

"Let's just hope so sweetie cause being chained up like this and not using my powers; I feel like a caged animal with little hope for freedom. Without you being here with me, I think I'd go insane."

"We just got to have a little faith with our family, as well as each other Ryoko. I haven't waited this long to tell you that I love you so the Jurai penal system can take you away from me. I won't allow it."

"That means a lot to me Tenchi and I love you too."

The two lovers silently gazed at each other for several moments, making Lucas wished that he could be elsewhere. Shortly afterwards, the vehicle came to an abrupt halt. Within seconds the rear doors of the prison transport opened with Constable Krieg standing outside with several armed robotic sentries and air cycles, hovering just above the transport with their laser cannons pointed directly at the doorway.

"We have arrived at our destination. Guards…surround the prisoner as she exits the transport and have your weapons set on kill. If she tries to escape…"

"Ryoko will not escape constable, you have my word as a prince of the royal family or does that mean nothing to you?"

"I'm just carrying out my orders my lord, No disrespect intended," Krieg answered, his face showing signs of annoyance from having to deal with Ryoko and Tenchi. Normally, his authority was absolute without having to be questioned by anyone, but since this investigation involved the royal family, Krieg did not want to step on any royal toes.

"Now if you will follow me, the guards will escort the prisoner to the central registration room where she will be processed and be shown to her cell. You may accompany the prisoner if you like."

"I'm not leaving Ryoko alone with your guards constable. I'm staying with her as much as I can and should anything happen to her under your watch, I will hold you responsible." Tenchi directed a nasty glare at the Juraian officer as he made his threat. While Tenchi was told that Ryoko would be treated well while incarcerated, he wasn't about to take the chance that some overzealous guard may exact their revenge on the cyan pirate while chained up.

"My lord, do not worry. Azaka himself had ordered me to guard Ryoko until her trial begins," Lucas interceded. "You have my word that no harm will befall on her while I'm on watch."

Tenchi looked over at the young soldier, his brown eyes softening at the promise he made to him. As he looked towards his right side, Ryoko smiled, letting him know that she was ok with this.

"Ok Lucas, if Azaka feels that you good enough to protect my Ryoko, then I'm all for it."

"Thank you my prince. I will not fail you…"

"Well, if we're all in agreement, can we please move along?" the constable suddenly interrupted. "Members of the media are approaching and I don't wish to make this a live show for the masses. Now if you all just follow me."

In a quicken pace, the armed contingent along with their prisoner proceeded into the black metallic fortress as the sounds of news vehicles, cameras and reporters nearly arrived to witness more of Ryoko's capture.

***************************************

TRILLIAN PRIME…

"Well babe, the good news is that I can repair Yagami."

"And the bad news?"

"It'll take me about three weeks to have her retrofitted and ready for space travel."

"THREE WEEKS?!? Cullen, we don't have three weeks! By that time the Juraian tribunal will have Ryoko convicted and executed!" Kiyone hysterically screamed out as Cullen the pirate relayed her and Mihoshi the bad news about Yagami's status.

The GP girls barely survived their space battle with the Darktalon; their sensors were shot and navigation systems nearly fried. As they about to board the wrecked warship, Nagi the bounty hunter came swooping down with Ken-ohki and destroyed the Darktalon, along with any possible evidence that may have helped the girls in their quest to save Ryoko. According to Nagi, the Darktalon's engines were about to self-destruct and would have taken the Yagami with them if it weren't for the brooding space huntress.

Back on Trillian prime, under the protection of Cullen and the cloaking device that covered his armed fortress and the surrounding areas, Kiyone and Mihoshi were trying to cope with the fact that they may not be able to get off the planet in time.

"Cullen, there has to be some other way. How bad was Yagami damaged?" Kiyone frantically asked, her long teal hair and uniform still ruffled from the battle in space.

"Hmm, let me rephrase my earlier statement: It will take three weeks for Yagami to be retrofitted, BUT if I were to bypass certain systems and concentrate on just the propulsion units, I may be able to get her flying in less than a week."

"Well that wouldn't do you any good Officer Kiyone. You just might get attacked again and then what will you do?" Nagi added as she wryly smiled at the teal-haired woman.

"But aren't you going to help us Ms. Nagi? After all, Ryoko's your friend too," Mihoshi politely asked the silver haired warrior as Nagi leaned against the side of Yagami's damaged red hull with Ken-ohki perched on her right shoulder, purring softly.

"First of all, Ryoko isn't my friend so I haven't decided yet and besides, didn't I save you people more than once already? I'm a bounty hunter by trade and this rescue stuff isn't exactly lining up my purse strings."

"So you think Ryoko killed Lord Braga Nagi?" Kiyone intuitively asked, fixing her blue eyes towards the huntress. "I thought you respected her more than that."

"I have my doubts about Ryoko killing that Juraian noble, but the evidence that's being broadcasted throughout the datastream is pretty damn convincing. Between that and her past crimes, not that many people are going to shed a tear for her."

"We would've had some proof had you not blown up that ship Nagi. Those men were working for the one responsible for Ryoko's setup," Kiyone reiterated, her face showing the frustration of the difficult task that had been going so far.

"Didn't I told you already that Ken-ohki picked up an energy buildup from the ship's engines and was ready to self-destruct? Or would you rather prefer that I left you to be blown out of space?"

"Silverback got a point babe," Cullen added, "At least you can still do your investigation and try to help Ryoko out…"

"That's right Kiyone! Maybe if we call Washu she can figure out something," Mihoshi bubbly agreed. She was just happy to be alive after her ordeal with the interfacing of the ship that nearly fried her brain.

"I guess you guys got a point. I suppose we just have to find some other option to take," Kiyone sighed as she heard the low beep from her GP watch, which indicated that it was time for a scheduled call to Washu.

"Cullen, can I use your com-link to contact Washu? I'm hoping she might have some good news to tell us and maybe some advice on how to speed up on Yagami's repairs…"

"I didn't know she was a mechanic?" Cullen retorted.

"In times of crisis, Washu can do anything she sets her mind to."

"Well, Officer Kiyone, don't take too long because I got things to do, not to mention that being on this planet makes me a target for those scumbags who might think I'm after them." Nagi said with a stern voice, not too thrilled being on a planet of pirates.

"Don't worry about it Nagi, no one's going to harass you with me around; unless you try to capture me and then we got some problems."

"Don't worry about it pirate, you're not on my top ten list yet, but then again with Ryoko captured, I may have to revise it."

"Are you sure you're not going to help us and Ryoko Nagi?" Mihoshi meekly asked once more, hoping for a better response this time around.

Nagi shot back a glare at the blonde mayhem for her constant annoyance, but after several seconds she gave her answer…

* Sigh * Tell you what…if this bucket of bolts can't fly, I'll be willing to take you back to Earth or Jurai if that's your preference, but that as far as I go."

"Fair enough Nagi. Let me contact Washu and I'll give you a better idea in a few minutes," Kiyone nodded with her approval of the huntress' favor and then turned her attention towards her red-haired lover. "Cullen, come with me please?"

"Sure thing babe, you don't have to tell me twice…"

"Oh just hush and come with me ok? I swear, men are all the same no matter what planet they come from…"

"Heh, but you have to admit, I'm a unique individual when it come to matters of the heart and as for my bedside manners, I…OWW!"

"Will you SHADDUP and get inside?"

"Yes dear." Cullen humbly acknowledged as Kiyone kicked him squarely on the shin, which left the boisterous pirate limping in pain.

Nagi was both amused and curious about the odd pair that was Kiyone and Cullen. Reluctantly, she had to ask Mihoshi a question…

"Say blondie, is your partner and that pirate an item or something?"

"I think so, but they wouldn't say…"

"They sure make an odd couple…"

"Funny, that's what they say about me and Kiyone…"

Nagi's eyes grew wide, "What? That you two are a couple?"

"Oh no, we're just partners, but we've been known to be called 'The Odd Couple'.

"Never mind Mihoshi, I don't want to know," Nagi replied exasperated as she felt a headache coming on.

**************************************

"Kiyone, you already knew where my comm. room was so why did you need me to tag along unless…"

"Don't give me that seductive look Cullen, it's just that I didn't want Nagi nor Mihoshi to hear what I had to say to Washu and you're the only one here who can keep a secret," the GP officer replied as the pair made their way through Cullen's hidden fortress and into the comm. room where the red-haired pirate kept all his electronic surveillance equipment, as well as a state of the art communication console that was heisted from a Juraian supply ship that Cullen raided about a couple of years ago. Normally, the device would be on a battle cruiser or a royal transport, but the rugged raider used it extensively for his pirating.

Cullen was slightly disappointed that his new lover didn't want to disappear into his bedroom and resume their passion play from yesterday, but when Kiyone mentioned to him about being the only person she could trust, he ears were perked to listen on.

"Excuse me babe, but did you say that I'm the only one you could trust to keep a secret? What about your partner and your bounty hunter friend?"

"I do trust Mihoshi, but sometimes that bubblehead tends to spill out information at the wrong time and as for Nagi…"

"What about her Kiyone?"

Kiyone paused for several moments, trying to come up with a reasonable explanation. "I know that we owe Nagi our lives several times over and she probably did save us from getting blown up by the Darktalon, but…"

"But what babe?" Cullen asked again, his eyebrows twitching as he waited for a reply.

"It's just that Nagi's intervention, right before we tried to board the ship seems too coincidental. Nobody knew we were coming to Trillian Prime and even though she says the Darktalon was going to self-destruct, I didn't sense that we were in danger. Even though she claimed to be passing by through space, my gut tells me that she knows more about the Braga's murder than she's letting on.

"Well, personally I never cared for the woman, being a bounty hunter and all. I know several old comrades that got put away because of her. As it is, she's an old adversary of Ryoko who has this strange obsession of beating her…"

"I know, we saw that when she came to Earth and kidnapped Tenchi in a effort to draw her out of hiding," Kiyone said as her mind went back to the first encounter between her friends and the huntress. "Ryoko barely beat her that time and Nagi swore that she'll never stop until she nails her."

"But you said she helped you guys out when you went to Jurai to fight against Kagato?"

"She did, but it was more of making sure no one killed Ryoko before she did," Kiyone surmised before another thought entered her detective mind. "She must be pissed that the Juraians caught her before she did."

"Hmm, maybe that's why she's here," Cullen said as he calibrated the com-link to establish the datastream between his lair and Washu's lab. "Somehow she managed to track you guys down so she can help rescue Ryoko in order to kill her for herself."

Kiyone smirked after hearing Cullen's crazy theory, but Nagi's been known to do extreme things in order to fulfill her honor. It's no secret in the universe that the one bounty she hadn't been to collect was the cyan pirate so the possibility that the huntress may be assisting the GP girls in order to take out Ryoko herself wasn't so far fetch to believe.

The teal-haired girl leaned against the burly man, pointing her index finger right on his temple, showing a playful grin that momentarily perplexed the pirate.

"Crazy as it sounds, you may have something there Red, which makes it even more imperative to keep Nagi away at arm's length. Question is…what do I do?"

"Maybe you should ask the little kid on the view screen," the pirate mockingly pointed out as the image of the diminutive scientist finally appeared before Kiyone.

**************************************

"Hey girlfriend, what's up?" Washu squealed out in her best schoolgirl imitation as her emerald eyes scanned the monitor and saw Kiyone and Cullen. "Is this big lug here the infamous space pirate Cullen?"

"At your service shorty, for a price of course, ha!"

"Careful with the short jokes buster, otherwise I'll have to hunt you down and turn you into a Bohemian sand frog and trust me, they aren't the most pleasant looking reptilians to look at." Washu snapped back as Cullen looked at Kiyone, who already knew that it wasn't wise to provoke the little scientist.

"Any word on Ryoko Washu?"

"They arrived on Jurai a few hours ago and it wasn't quite the happy homecoming they anticipated. Didn't you guys see it on TV? They had Tenchi knocking out one of the reporters when asked about his relationship with Ryoko."

"Sorry Washu, but we were kind of busy ourselves," Kiyone answered understating the kind of day she and Mihoshi had a few hours ago in space. "We got into a fire fight with some bad company and nearly got killed in the process."

"Any leads?"

"Well, we entered the bar where Ryoko was drugged and kidnapped and when me and Cullen tried to question the bar owner, a pair of hit men entered from the back and killed the suspect. We chased them right into space where we barely survived, thanks to Mihoshi…"

"Mihoshi? What the hell did she do?" Washu asked, placing her hand against her chin, trying to fathom what could Mihoshi possibly do to save the Yagami from a space battle.

"She interfaced with Yagami Washu, you really should have seen it. She almost single-handedly beat the other ship," Kiyone continued to spit out the events from earlier, her face revealing how proud she was with her partner.

"Interfacing huh? I thought that method of piloting was prohibited on all GP ships. Mihoshi should be thankful her brains didn't get scrambled in the process…what am I saying? In blondie's case, it might've been an improvement…"

"Washu please…"

"Sorry Kiyone, now where was I? Oh yeah, you said you defeated the other ship so what happened to its crew?"

"Nagi happened that's what!" Cullen jumped in, his face still showing some disdain towards the bounty hunter. "She came outta nowhere and blew the Darktalon out of the sky."

"So she and Ken-ohki saved you Kiyone? I thought you said you defeated the other ship?"

"We thought so too, but Nagi claimed that the Darktalon's engine transmissions were indicating that she was about to blow up. We were about to board her and since our external sensors were offline…"

"You assumed that she may be right, which is plausible since she did saved our bacon against the GP fleet and the Jurai military."

"Mihoshi believed her, but I have my doubts…"

Everyone stood in dead silence for the next several minutes after hearing how the teal-haired detective felt. Each one was speculating what motive, what reason could the bounty hunter be up to. For Cullen, Nagi was no different than him in that she did whatever it was necessary to claim her prize, regardless of who it was. The fact that she's been relentless of her pursuit of the cyan pirate for so many years only proved that the bounty hunter had an obsession with Ryoko.

Washu, on the other hand, could only examine the facts laid out before her and from prior experience she could only hope to believe that Nagi's appearance was coincidental and maybe beneficial to their cause. Perhaps with the right incentive, the huntress could be bartered with. With her considerable might and Ken-ohki, her assistance may help tip the balance in their favor.

Kiyone still wasn't convinced. Even if Nagi did saved her from getting blown up by the Darktalon, the possibility of the huntress helping them out in order to resume her eternal conflict with Ryoko was more than the teal-haired officer was willing to deal with. Kiyone decided that a ruse was needed in order to reveal the silver-haired huntress' true intentions.

"Washu, now that our lead here is dead, I was thinking maybe we should head out to the planet Xeria and try to dig up some more clues. There had to be someone who was there that night when Braga was murdered."

"I agree, but since it's been over two weeks, you may not find much evidence there," the redhead scientist typed in some equations for Claybourne to analyze. After several seconds, a number appeared on the display of her holo-laptop.

"According to Claybourne, you may have a 25% chance of uncovering any evidence on Xeria; assuming the local officials, the GP or the Juraian military didn't tampered or confiscated anything vital."

"And as far as witnesses goes, either the Juraians have bribed a few for the trial or the baddie in question might have scare them into hiding," Cullen added, knowing a few things about intimidating people himself. "I don't need a computer to tell me that part. This is a long shot at best Kiyone so you'll need to think this through."

Kiyone began to pace around the room, sorting out her options, trying to decide what course of action to take. Knowing full well that any wrong move could delay her in helping out Ryoko, she wanted to make the right choice. As she stared into the blinking lights of the comm. room, she came up with an idea…

"Washu, I decided that since Yagami will be out of commission, I'm going to ask you to download any recent data from the Braga incident, plus our recent encounter with the Darktalon and any copies I sent you from Yagami. When you're done, I want to make a hardcopy and give it Mihoshi so she can go to Jurai with Nagi…"

"Uh Kiyone, most of the data I have is already known to the public except for your recent skirmish so it may have little impact to our cause. Besides, I can transmit whatever information is needed to Yosho and Ayeka when I re-establish contact with them. Now I know that Mihoshi can tell Lord Yosho what happened, which sounds risky in itself, but mind explaining why you aren't going to Jurai?"

"That's because Professor Washu, while Nagi escorts Mihoshi to Jurai to deliver the 'important' information to Lord Yosho, I will take Yagami to Xeria to dig up those clues," the GP cop smirked as she figured out what her course of action would be. "We both know that whatever information we had collected so far may or may not help Ryoko, but Nagi doesn't know that and…"

"She'll be too occupied with Mihoshi to wonder what's on the hard disk; at least until she gets to Jurai…"

"Which by then, you would've been in contact with Yosho or Ayeka and preparing them for Ken-ohki's arrival," Kiyone winked at Washu, acknowledging that the women were on the same page. "If Nagi should ask about me, I'll simply tell her that due to insecure channels between the main datastream and Jurai's cybernet, we decided that it would be best to send all data via interstellar transport."

Washu and Cullen nodded in approval as the GP detective continued with her plan. "As for me not going to Jurai, it's my obligation as captain of the Yagami to stay with the ship until the repairs have been completed."

"That's shrewd thinking babe. Once the cabbitship leaves here, I can finish up with Yagami's propulsion and navigation systems and we'll be on our way…"

"We? What do you mean we? Who said you're coming along?" Kiyone asked with a puzzled look on her face, wondering what the pirate had up his sleeve.

"I'm volunteering for this mission officer Kiyone. With your sidekick going off with Nagi, you gonna need help on Xeria and it so happens that I know some contacts on that rock," Cullen answered with a cocky grin and giving his lady love a thumbs up sign. "If we're lucky, we might find someone who actually knows what happened."

"Cullen…I can't ask you to do this. It's too dangerous…"

"And? Is that supposed to scare me? I'm a fuckin' space pirate for crying out loud! This is the kind of shit I feed on and if there's anything I can do to help out my gal Ryoko, then I'm going to do it."

"But Cullen…"

"But nothing Kiyone, you're stuck with me and if you don't fuckin' like it then too bad!" Cullen bellowed as he stood in front of the smaller detective, making his presence felt and sporting a wicked grin that reminded her why she took up the pirate's offer to spent the night with him.

"Well, since you're the only qualified mechanic around here, I guess I have no choice in the matter."

"Damn straight you don't so if you please, let's wrap this up so I can get back to work. Please have the half-pint send any recent data on Yagami willya? It's been awhile since I tinkered with a GP cruiser of this class…"

"It's Washu you big galoot!" the fiery redhead responded through the monitor, her mind thinking of painful ways to torture Cullen for his brash behavior before turning her attention back to Kiyone.

"I'll send the bogus data for Mihoshi, as well as the schematics for Yagami Kiyone. By this time the gang should be settled in on Jurai so I'll try to contact them ASAP; is there anything else you need?"

"Not right now. I'll tell Cullen to keep his com-link open for you, as well as Yagami's once she's ready to fly. When you do contact Lord Yosho, let him know about our situation and get back to me right away. Good luck Washu."

"Same to you kiddo and be careful with Nagi; she may not take it too kindly about being deceived."

"I will and thanks, Kiyone out."

Washu sat still as the monitor faded to black. Afterwards, she turned her attention towards her AI.

"Claybourne, I need for you to do a couple of things for me."

"Sure thing; what are they?"

"Well, as you heard over the com-link, send any recent data, no matter how trivial, to the coordinates listed on the display screen, " Washu carefully typed in the numbers that were listed when she had spoken to Kiyone. Claybourne immediately began to download a series of data that had been accumulating since the murder first became known.

"And don't forget the data we have on Yagami; Kiyone needs that ship fixed real soon."

"Done. Anything else?" Claybourne inquired, his metallic voice resonating throughout the lab.

"Yes. See if you can trace Nagi's movements in the last two years, since our last encounter with her."

"How come Washu?"

"Well, if Kiyone's hunch is correct, then Nagi might have been waiting until the opportunity arose to get Ryoko. As far as she knew, Ryoko didn't come back to Earth when Tenchi defeated Kagato, but if Nagi knows Ryoko like we do, she didn't believe that she died after leaving Jurai either. I speculate that after hearing about Braga's murder and who the culprit was, she decided to resume the hunt."

"With the Masakis as her lure."

"Obviously, she figured that if Ryoko was in trouble, she'd head to Earth to be with Tenchi, not knowing of course that Ryoko was living with us already."

"So why is she following detectives Kiyone and Mihoshi, instead of heading to Jurai?"

"That armada was heavily armed and with the royal family aboard, any hostile action on her part would had made her a wanted criminal as well; the last thing she needed," Washu surmised as she began to put some of the clues together. "Gods, I'm starting to figure out this mystery; I'm such a genius!"

"Well professor genius, have you discovered the identity of Lord Braga's murderer yet because that's one part of the equation that still remains a mystery…" Claybourne sarcastically reminded Washu about the main problem that still needed to be addressed.

"No Claybourne, but that's where my last request comes in; please trace back the movements of Lord Braga since he became the finance minister of Jurai. Any man who ends up at a place like Xeria must've had something illegal to hide. Once you completed your analysis, let me know so I can relay them to Lord Yosho, once he makes contact with us."

"As you wish Washu, I'll get started right away," Claybourne responded as the machinations surrounding the lab began humming to life.

Washu relaxed a bit on her floating chair, contemplating about the recent events that took place. As she tilted her head back, her red mane falling back with its ends nearly touching the floor, she kept thinking on how this drama would unfold. Troublesome as Ryoko was, Washu tended to see the cyan girl as the wayward daughter she never had. Despite her youthful appearance, Washu had been around for many years and being around the girls had made her feel like a surrogate mother. She wouldn't admit it to no one else, but seeing Ryoko getting electrocuted and knowing that she could be executed was something she couldn't bear to witness. Quietly, she said a simple prayer to whatever deities in the universe were listening, praying that she would get her family back.

TO BE CONTINUED…

************************************

Author's Notes:

As I mentioned in the last chapter, we were returning to the plainspeak that's my writing style, but I think I learned a few things since then. If only I can take off about six months and just do this fic and my other work, I'd be a happy man.

Ok, as you have read earlier, I have introduced a new player into the fray in the form of Lord Aztek. Now that you have read all the characters, I'm going to ask a question: Who do you think is the mastermind of this devious plot to frame Ryoko? I'm not revealing anything of course, but I'm curious as to what you readers think so far. Tell me what you think.

RESPONSES FROM LAST CHAPTER:

ThunderGod: Well, at least I got 'Ayeka' out of the way. Now let's see if I can par down STA a bit.

Racer X: I think so too, heh.

Kryo2000: Well, now that Ryoko is under custody, anything can happen and probably none of it good.

Bobr: yep, with Nagi around things won't be boring, but I'm still trying to fit her into the scheme of things.

DarkGods: You and the T-God seem to be mutual admirers of this WarHammer thingie. I can see a dark saloon and two pints of ale flowing about, sharing stories of wars long ago.

Tenchi Masaki: Wow, I feel like I'm doing a biography now. I hope I get the true story right Tenchi.

UnholyDragoon: Just a few things? (Sighs) But you're right about some of them and hopefully I'll improve as we go along.

In the next chapter, Yosho and Ayeka begin to go over their strategy of saving Ryoko as Kiyone plays a dangerous game deception with Nagi. It all starts with 'The Arraignment' so you don't want to miss it.

As always, your reviews are appreciated. If you want a more elaborate explanation, you can email me at a.falc@verizon.net

Later, Alighthawk