Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ The Trial ❯ "Time to Shine" ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*Disclaimer: The main characters in this story are property of AIC, Pioneer, & Viz Comics. All the other characters were created by me, so any similarities are just dumb luck so please don't sue me.

** Author's notes: This story takes place about a year after "Tenchi Forever" in which it follows the "Tenchi Universe" storyline, though some names and places from the OAV and manga might appear. C & C is welcomed, but easy on the flame throwing!

The Trial: by alighthawk

Chapter 12 - "Time to Shine"

PLANET JURAI…

As night fell on the Juraian capital, Ayeka and her compatriots huddled inside her private chambers, figuring out a strategy to use for tomorrow's council meeting. For hours they poured over the reports furnished by Minister Aztek and his Office of Public Information, reading and analyzing every bit of news and info that had surfaced ever since news of the Braga murder reached Jurai several weeks ago.

The princess was losing sleep over this ever since she and the rest of the family left Earth to help defend Ryoko; knowing that she would have to face the Holy Council and her detractors who would be claiming Ayeka had hesitated in denouncing the killing due to her past history with the pirate, in addition to neglecting her duties as the future heir of the monarchy. It didn't matter to the overzealous group of Juraian officials that Ryoko had helped them overthrow Kagato, nor the fact that Ayeka herself didn't force all of them to leave their office when the Holy Council was cleaned out in the aftermath of that incident; all they knew was that a fellow lord was murdered and that a notorious criminal was caught on tape, accused and captured. Were it up to them, they would skip the trial all together and execute Ryoko at the first possible moment.

"Let's go over this again Ayeka; you cannot be caught off guard by the council members. They would like nothing more than to see you disgraced in front of all of Jurai," Yosho pointed out to Ayeka as he studied the video surveillance once more, along with some official reports coming from Captain Bizon from the Intelligence Division, listing all the alleged evidence that was taken from Xeria after the killing.

"Lord Yosho, may I please rest my eyes for a moment? If I continue to skim thru these reports at the pace we're going, I fear my head will explode," Ayeka answered, as she laid back on her oversized leather recliner, finding the switch that flipped the bottom portion up in order to elevate her feet. "What was I thinking when I said to have this meeting tomorrow morning?"

"You were annoyed with Lord Aztek's comments my lady," Azaka said, trying to comfort Ayeka with his words, "Having the meeting tomorrow is not a bad idea as long as we're prepared for all possible questions. As long as you appear to be in control of the situation, there's very little the ministers can do."

"But that's just it, Azaka, much as I wish that everything can be made right again, I fear that this crisis may be bigger than what we faced against Kagato." Ayeka said, looking exasperated from the long ordeal.

"Perhaps so, Ayeka, but you are still the First Crown Princess of Jurai, and therefore, have the advantage," Yosho spoke again, as he shut off the video monitor in front of him and knelt beside the young monarch, "Aztek has inflamed the council into a state of anger and despair while allowing the public to be misinformed about the facts of the case. This will allow certain council members in his group to try and attempt to usurp your authority. Since Lord Aztek appears to be the head conspirator, it is logical that Braga's murder has allowed him to gather some momentum, and to question the effectiveness of the Royal Family. He will be the one key member you'll need to out duel."

"But what if I can't, Yosho? What if Aztek comes up with some incriminating evidence that makes me responsible for all this? Perhaps the people are correct in that I've been away for too long, neglecting my duties as the ruler of Jurai?" Ayeka responded as tears began to swell from her eyes.

"What are you saying to me, Ayeka? That you feel partly responsible for what happened to Ryoko? That perhaps if you were here on Jurai, maybe Lord Braga's murder might've been prevented?"

Ayeka didn't answer him immediately. Her head was looking down to her crossed arms, her tears streaming down her cheeks and landing on the ridge of her blue kimono. It was starting to hit her that everything that she was raised to know, what she was born to be, was about to be taken away from her and she was powerless to stop the tidal wave that was about to overwhelm her. "In some way…yes, I believe I am responsible for all this. If I hadn't stayed on Earth, knowing full well that Tenchi had chosen Ryoko, I would've been here on Jurai as I should've been, overseeing my kingdom. Azaka, this is not a poor reflection on you or Kamidake, but my place was to be here from the beginning."

"Princess Ayeka, whether or not you were here on Jurai, Lord Braga would probably still be dead. No one, including Aztek is asking why was he on Xeria when he was killed and that question needs to be answered. As for your relationship between yourself, Lord Tenchi and Lady Ryoko…" The noble knight paused for a moment, realizing he was treading on a sensitive subject. He looked towards Yosho, giving a look for help, but all the former Jurai King did was nodded, telling the knight to continue. Azaka mentally searched through his mind until something logical popped into his brain.

"Your highness, you may have known for some time that Lord Tenchi had decided on Lady Ryoko instead of you, but yet you decided to stay on Earth. Why would that be?"

"I always thought that perhaps if I stayed longer and since Lord Tenchi hadn't officially made his feelings known for Ryoko, I thought I still had a chance to win his heart over…"

"Is that all there is your highness?"

"Huh? What do you mean by that, Azaka?"

"I believe that what Azaka is trying to say, Ayeka, is that perhaps that was more to your staying on Earth than just trying to win over Tenchi," Yosho joined in the conversation, trying to help Ayeka figure out her reasons for staying on Earth, "Perhaps maybe if you had left, you would've missed your adopted family? Even if Tenchi didn't choose you, there were other people that cared for you and despite our different cultures and origins, we are as close with one another as any other family could be."

Ayeka looked up after hearing Yosho's words. Despite the fact that she had Sasami, it wasn't until they'd been on Earth for a long period of time that they felt a sense of a true family with the other girls and the Masaki men. Even Ryoko, whom Ayeka had fought so much over the last few years, was as close as a sister to her as Sasami was. Somewhere down the deep recesses of her soul, Ayeka was feeling the sense of failure, the failure to protect Ryoko from the dangers and the enemies that now surrounded them. The failure to help out the pirate after the many times Ryoko had risked her life for the princess.

"I-I failed her. I failed Ryoko, I failed Lord Tenchi and I failed as the ruler of my people. You're both right. I'm a future queen of an empire with everything at my disposal. There's nothing that I lack or want, but despite all that I never truly felt at home until I found a life on Earth with Lord Tenchi, Lord Yosho and the other girls. Even had this incident had not occurred, I would've gladly stayed back of Earth just to remain with the others. Isn't that what a family does Lord Yosho? To stay together no matter what?"

Yosho smiled, seeing how Ayeka was fighting to control her emotions. He knew that she was trying to get handle on things ever since they left Earth and that Ayeka was in a fragile state of mind. Between her discovery of Tenchi's choice of Ryoko, the murder, the disenchantment of her home world and the her possible expulsion from the throne, the shrine master was happy that she was strong enough to overcome all the adversity so far and hoped that she would continue to do so as she entered tomorrow's council session.

"Yes Ayeka, you are quite right. Always remember child, no matter the dire situation that you may see yourself in, know that you're never alone."

"I know that Yosho, but even if I am able to get through the council meeting with little trouble, I still have no clue about dealing with the Ryoko's situation. What if I'm forced to decide on whether or not to put her to death should she be found guilty? What will Lord Tenchi think of it, or of me? I know he said that he would hold no ill will towards me, but after seeing what he did to that reporter, how would he react when the verdict is in and Ryoko is found guilty of killing Braga?"

Before the old Juraian could give an answer, a familiar figure entered the chambers of the princess, his young face expressing a welcome relief for the others as he stopped short of Ayeka, bowing before her and Yosho.

"Well Kamidake, I was wondering where you were," Azaka smirked as his partner and former apprentice glared back, his face displaying of expression of urgency. "What have you found out?"

"At Lord Yosho's request, I have made several inquiries with our friends at the Galaxy Police regarding their end of the investigation of Lord's Braga's murder; there seems to be some things that Captain Bizon did not reveal in his report to the council…"

"Or perhaps he was told not to by certain individuals in the council…"

"It's quite possible Lord Yosho, I can't say for certain where the Captain's loyalties lie."

"Anything else Kamidake?" Azaka asked.

"Regarding the jurisdiction of the scene of the crime, there's some gray area, but I believe I have attained some information that may help us with Lady Ryoko's trial."

"Heh-heh…"

"Something that amuses you Ayeka?" Yosho asked as he and the knights looked at the young royal, perplexed by her sudden urge to giggle.

"Heh, I'm sorry but that's the second time I heard someone say Lady Ryoko. Not that I'm saying that she hasn't earned the respect, but considering her unladylike behavior at times…"

"We'll discuss the use of proper etiquette at another time, but right now I think it's best that we examine more of the information Kamidake has attained for us. Ayeka, we'll leave you to rest and meditate," Yosho suggested as he waved at the knights to leave the room. "Just go over of what we have discussed and in the morning we'll go over the plan, including any new information that may be useful. Will you be all right tonight?"

"Yes Yosho, I'm quite all right. I will make some final notations before I go to sleep. Perhaps a good night's rest will take some of the edginess I've been feeling lately. I will also meditate as you suggested. Perhaps Tsunami will hear my plea."

"Very well then. If there's nothing else child, I bid you a good night…"

"Princess Ayeka. May Tsunami watch over you tonight." Kamidake added as he and Yosho headed out towards the doorway.

"I'll have two knights of the Second Order stand guard outside your highness. You will not be disturbed until we return. Good night your majesty."

"And a good night to you Azaka, Yosho, Kamidake. May Tsunami bless you all," Ayeka said thoughtfully as the men left, leaving the two wooden oak doors to close behind them as they headed for another section of the palace.

*************************************

ELSEWHERE IN THE CAPITAL…

"Hold still please…"

"Is this really necessary? I mean don't you people have all the information you need?"

"Turn to the left…"

"My lord, most of the recorded information we have on Ryoko is from the Galaxy Police database. However, many of those records were expunged at Princess Ayeka's request when she made her case regarding the pirate's assistance with Kagato…"

"Turn to the right and please try not to smirk…"

"Therefore, Juraian law requires that all prisoners be registered and processed through the penal system accordingly. Please try to understand, Lord Tenchi, that we're treating your `friend' no differently than any other prisoner," Constable Krieg tried to explain to Tenchi on Juraian protocol with dealing with captured criminals such as Ryoko for her alleged involvement with Lord Braga's murder. "We're just doing our duty as loyal soldiers to the empire."

For the last few hours, since their arrival on Jurai, the Constable had purposely dragged the processing of Ryoko to almost a crawl. One reason was to thoroughly attain all the information, biological or otherwise, so that they would have a complete record of the pirate in their database. The second reason was to safeguard the area around the jail. The Constable wanted to be absolutely sure that neither Ryoko nor anybody else was going to try and rescue her. All of this was made known to Tenchi, who at the moment wasn't very happy with the deliberate delay.

"Video recording completed. Please hold still for retina identification…"

"I understand that constable, but Ryoko has been shackled for several hours now. If you're going to take her to her cell, then let's just get this over with," Tenchi answered, clearly irritated with the slow moving process as Ryoko stood in front of a light gray wall as a rail thin silver automaton summoned a hovering cylindrical scanning device to take retinal scans of the exhausted pirate.

"Please don't blink prisoner Ryoko, otherwise we cannot get a confirmation of your retina ID…"

"If you tin plated excuses for robots would speed it up, then I wouldn't blink. I've been chained up for awhile all right?"

"Just several more minutes and then you can pick up your prison garments and proceed to your cell." the silver mechanized figure responded, not caring what the cyan haired woman was feeling since its program was devoid of all emotion.

"Don't worry about your clothes Ryoko, I retrieved them from the prison's supply room," young Lucas entered the room carrying a drab dark grayish outfit that was to be Ryoko's clothes for her stay at the prison. As the soldier pulled the outfit from its clear plastic sealant, it appeared to be bigger and bulkier than what the space pirate was accustomed to wearing.

"You're kidding right? What kind of clothing is that? I've seen drunks in the streets with better clothes than that," Ryoko loudly complained, sounding as if she was unhappy with her treatment, especially since she had to wear her prison garbs as compared to her usual form fitting outfits. Tenchi was starting to worry that his love might go off the deep end again until she looked at his direction and playfully winked at him before resuming her role of irritating the constable. "And that color…definitely not me."

"The prisoner shall wear the appropriate clothing that was issued by the supply master! You shall wear these garments during your time here, which will be a long stay if I have anything to say about it," Krieg barked, getting tired by Ryoko's constant nagging. "The only time you may wear other clothing will be when you are escorted to the Ministry Hall of Justice for your trial, do I make myself clear?"

"Tenchi? Can't you do anything about this?"

"I'll see what I can do, but for now better go along with the constable, Ryoko," Tenchi replied as he strolled up to his lover, with a slight smirk on his face and whispered behind her ear, making Ryoko giggle from what he said. "I can see that you're having some fun at the man's expense Ryoko. Trying to give him a stroke?"

The constable raised his eyebrows, wondering what the whispered conversation was about until Tenchi pulled away from the pirate, his face changing to a more serious expression.

"Ahem. Uh Ryoko…no need to aggravate these men any further. The dress code is only here and not at the courthouse so don't worry about it, ok?"

Ryoko went along with Tenchi's playacting by putting on a pouting face when she saw the pleading look from Tenchi's soft brown eyes. After being poked and prodded throughout the day, Ryoko was enjoying baiting the constable and his men. She was going to add some insults to really annoy the soldiers, but she thought the better of it.

"Retinal scans completed. The prisoner shall now be identified as Ryoko, prison ID#SPR1992TM2000. Please escort the prisoner to her cell."

"About damn time! If I had to stand up any longer, I'll grow roots," Ryoko scoffed as the hovering scanning device sped off to process its newly acquired information of the cyan haired woman. Tenchi used his left arm to reach around his lover's body so she could lean on him as the shackles and the neural collar was sapping her usually powerful body. As Lucas began to lead the way, Krieg had one more announcement to make.

"Space Pirate Ryoko! Please be advised that at 15:00 tomorrow, you will be summoned to appear at the Ministry Hall of Justice for your arraignment in front of the elected magistrate to hear the charges of your crime. One hour prior to your arrival, your defense counsel will meet with you to discuss your charges," The constable smiled wryly as he continued with his pronouncement of the Jurai system of law.

"As of right now, a public defender has been assigned to your case, however you may choose another to represent you for your trial. Afterwards, once your plea has been recorded, you will reappear within 72 hours for the commencement of your trial. Do you have any questions?"

"Just one…when do we eat? I haven't eaten for hours and listening to all your babbling is really making me hungry," Ryoko mockingly asked her jailer as she gave him a defiant look, as if the events around her weren't affecting her one bit. "Y'know constable, you should really speak clearer, your low tone of voice makes you sound nasal."

"Wretched woman! I don't care if you're a friend of Her Royal Highness or the lover of the prince! You will obey the rules or else I will have you confined in suspended animation until your trial begins!"

"Constable, I would choose my words more carefully if I were you," Tenchi hissed at the officer as he stepped between his love and her jailer. "Remember what I said earlier, should anything happen to Ryoko during her confinement, I'd be holding you responsible and believe me, you don't want to see me angry."

Tenchi stood before Krieg, their eyes meeting head on. Although the young Earthling was a few inches shorter than the Juraian officer, he never showed any fear or doubt. The constable saw the way Tenchi was standing firm, his face with a determined look. This was a young man who would risk everything to help his love and nothing was about to stand in his way. Realizing that he was in a no-win position, Krieg took a step back, and politely bowed to the young prince.

"My apologizes young lord; I spoke out of turn. I shall try to restrain myself for making any more inflammatory comments. You have my word as a loyal servant to the crown that no harm shall come upon the prisoner, provided she behaves accordingly."

"She will constable, and since we're now in agreement, can we leave?"

"Yes, of course. Lucas knows the way; just follow him down the corridor. These two guards will also escort you until the prisoner is secured in her cell."

"Fine with me. Lucas, just lead the way." Tenchi told the young soldier as he tightly embraced the impressed Ryoko and began to walk with her towards the center of the prison.

"Wow, Tenchi, that's twice you came to my defense," Ryoko said seductively as she leaned her head on Tenchi's shoulder, her voice purring at his ear. "I can really get to like this new side of you."

"Ryoko my love, if and when we get out of this. I promise that you'll see a whole different side of me. A side of me that I should've let out a long time ago."

"Well babe, let's just hope I live long enough to see it through cause once the arraignment starts, it's rough waters ahead. You're ready for all this Tenchi?"

"For you Ryoko, I will be…I have to be."

*************************************

TRILLIAN PRIME…

"Well I gotta admit babe, your pal Washu sure does come in handy when it comes to starship schematics. With the designs and a few extra parts I stocked in my fortress, me and my work drones will have Yagami ready in about ten hours."

Cullen happily carried on with his repairs to the Yagami as Kiyone stocked up on provisions before making the trek to the planet Xeria where Lord Braga's murder had taken place. Kiyone's expression was one of concern, being that she would be undertaking a dangerous journey with a notorious criminal, but she was also relieved that she was able to convince Nagi to take Mihoshi to Jurai with the bogus information that Kiyone handed over to the space hunter on a hard disc. Despite Nagi's word that she was merely helping the girls out by shooting down the Darktalon, the teal-haired detective was still skeptical. Too many things were happening at once and right now, anyone and anybody could be in on this conspiracy against Ryoko. After giving one of the ship's automaton instructions on where to place the crew's provisions, Kiyone walked over and knelt by her pirate companion as he continued to rewire the navigation system.

"So will we be fully operational soon Cullen? I want to get to Xeria ASAP."

"We'll be able to fly, Kiyone, but as much as I tried to overhaul certain systems with whatever equipment I had stored from my various raids, I'm still going to have to skip the weapon system, and the defensive shielding will be only at 50% capacity. I'm really sorry babe, it's the best I can do at short notice."

"Well, that means that we'll have to avoid getting into a fight," Kiyone sighed as she got up and sat in her captain's chair. She mentally began to press the buttons on her command console for testing as Cullen finished with the repairs. "From what I've seen so far, the propulsion system is at maximum efficiency, but if the GP or any Juraian warship are lurking around Xeria's orbit, we'll be detected for sure…"

"Not necessary my dear Kiyone…" Cullen answered with a playful grin.

"Huh, what do you mean Cullen?"

"I studied the circuitry of the ship's defensive grid and if Washu's manuals are right, I may be able to install a smaller version of my cloaking device that's used in hiding my fortress. It won't save us if we get hit by an asteroid or laser fire, but if I'm right we should be able to sneak under those GP patrol ships without a hitch. Whadaya think babe?"

Kiyone didn't say a word as she walked up to Cullen and flashed a sexy smile. She cupped his face, making him lower his head just low enough to lock lips. Her response was a positive one.

"I'm so glad that you're helping me like this Cullen. I don't know what I would do without you."

"I'm pretty sure that you'll come up with something luv, but right now let me get started on installing that cloaking device. Another eight hours should do it."

"Great, I'm almost done with everything else so maybe I can do something with the weapon systems. Since Mihoshi used them when she merged with the ship's systems, I have no idea how burned up they are."

"Speaking of blondie, how ya think she's doin' with Nagi? Ya think that silver haired bitch would try something sneaky?"

Kiyone was standing over the weapon's console when she heard Cullen's question. Much as she hated to lie to both Nagi and Mihoshi, she felt that by sending them to Jurai and diverting their attention to the disc that Washu downloaded information on, it would allow her and Cullen to continue their quest to find out who was responsible for Ryoko's frame up. Still, Kiyone had her concerns.

"Nagi will have her suspicions, but since she's traveling with Mihoshi, I doubt that she'd pull anything. Of course, she might try and see what's on the disc and if Mihoshi does what she always does when traveling in deep space…"

"Y'mean her long naps?"

(Sigh) "Exactly. Once she goes to sleep, it wouldn't surprise me if Nagi decides to take a peek."

"Yeah, but you did one hell of a acting job to get her to go to Jurai."

"I know. I still can't believe that it worked. I can still see it now…"

(FLASHBACK…)

"Now let me get this straight, Kiyone, you want me to take Mihoshi to Jurai so she can deliver this info-disc to Princess Ayeka; all because Washu is having problems getting through to the Royal Family and your ship is out of commission, right?" Nagi questioned the teal-haired officer, being skeptical of the whole situation.

"Yep. That's about it, Nagi. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated," Kiyone answered amiably. After conferring with Washu and Cullen, they figured that the best way to keep Nagi out of picture in their investigation of Lord Braga's murder was to have the bounty hunter run a fool's errand with her bubblehead partner, who was also being duped into believing that the disk contained hard evidence that would help Ryoko with her trial. All three figured though that even with the knowledge that the huntress wanted to kill Ryoko for herself, security was so tight on Jurai that no one could get near the space pirate save for the Royal Family and since Nagi was well known throughout the galaxy, there was no way for her to attempt to get at Ryoko.

"I don't know…one minute you're ranting about because I blasted that ship from space and now you're being awfully nice, you wouldn't be trying to trick me now, detective?"

"Now, Nagi, if Kiyone had a plan like that going on, she would've filled me in, right partner?" Mihoshi jumped in, defending her best friend.

"Yep…sure. You're absolutely right Mihoshi. If I wanted to deceive you Nagi, Mihoshi would've known and went along with it."

Kiyone's left brow began to twitch involuntarily as she kept up her act. She would always twitch like that whenever she had something to lie about and she worried that her blonde partner would pick it up as well since Mihoshi knew of all of the teal-haired officer's habits.

Nagi continued her line of questioning. "Look, not to doubt you or anything, but I find it hard to believe that the so called greatest genius in the universe can't crack into the Jurai cyber net system to contact Lord Yosho and Princess Ayeka. Are you sure you're not trying to bullshit me Kiyone?"

A light saber appeared out of the dark cloak of the bounty hunter as her features began to look more menacingly. "Because if ya did, it would be a bad decision on your part."

"Look Nagi, like I said before, Washu can get into the Juraian communication net, but she having a hard time trying to find a secured line since all incoming and outgoing transmissions are being monitored. With the information we have gathered so far, she's afraid that the parties responsible for Ryoko's frame-up might pick it up. Even you have to appreciate the value of guarded information, bounty hunter."

"She's right, Ms. Nagi. If the person responsible gets a hold of that information, it could ruin Ryoko's chances," Mihoshi jumped in, her eyes getting watery from thinking negative thoughts. "Please you say that you'll do it; I don't want to see Ryoko die."

Nagi shook her head in dismay as the blonde officer to weep uncontrollably. Remembering that she offered a ride to Jurai, the huntress sighed at the irony of the situation.

"All right, blondie, no need to get emotional over the situation."

"Does that mean that you'll do it?"

"Why not? If it means that Ryoko can get out of this and give me another crack of killing her myself, I'm all for it. Besides, with your partner here stuck on this mud ball until your ship gets back into shape, someone gotta keep you out of trouble."

"OH, THANK YOU NAGI! THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU!!!"

"Get off me you twit!" Nagi yelled out as Mihoshi reached over and gave her a bone-crushing hug. "Now understand something, I'm only doing this because I don't want Ryoko killed by anyone but me, is that clear?"

"Well, I'm sure Ryoko will give you that opportunity once she gets out, Nagi," Kiyone commented, waving her hand back and forth as she breathed a sigh of relief in that she was able to deceive the bounty hunter. "Cullen is on the hanger deck fixing Yagami's systems, but I'm sure he can provide with whatever you need for the journey…"

"I don't need anything, detective; just hand over the disk then me and blondie here will be on our way," Nagi responded coldly as she grabbed Ken-Ohki and tossed him into the air; the white cabbit transformed into his ship form, looking like the reverse version of Ryo-Ohki in term of color and design. As Nagi made her way towards the open barren field, she looked back once more at the pair of GP detectives, sounding as if she was convinced of Kiyone's intentions.

"You guys got thirty minutes, otherwise I'm heading out to space without the blond genius here," Nagi warned the pair as she allowed her cabbit partner to materialize the huntress onto the bridge.

"Sure thing Nagi, and thanks!" Kiyone answered enthusiastically as she felt that her ruse against the bounty hunter was paying off. "Mihoshi…I know this is short notice, but you need to deliver this disk to Lord Yosho or Princess Ayeka. Do I make myself clear? This could mean a big difference in clearing Ryoko's name."

"Don't worry Kiyone, you can count on me! As a Galaxy Police Officer, it's my duty to see that this piece of evidence gets delivered to the Royal Family. I'll put it somewhere that no one would think to look."

"I knew I could count on you partner!" < Hmm, wonder where she plans to hide it? Better not ask. >

"Right! And besides, once I'm there I could go to the palace and see if Sasami is making anything. I mean the food rations on Yagami are ok, but they can dry at times,"

Kiyone buried her face into her hands as her bubblehead partner went off on one of her endless prattle. Again, she felt a headache coming on.

"And although Mr. Cullen did feed us pretty good, I do miss Sasami's beef pot special, her steamed dumplings, her…"

"MIHOSHI ENOUGH!!! I get the point ok? Just get whatever belongings you need and get going, Nagi will take off without you if you keep standing here all day."

"Right, I'll get some clothes and my spare uniform. Oh, this is great; I get to help Ryoko and fly on Ken-Ohki too," Mihoshi was about to enter Yagami before she turned around and raced towards her partner and best friend, giving her a bone crushing hug.

"Argh, Mihoshi! What was that for?!?"

"For being my partner and having the faith in me to do this job. We both know that you could really come with us if you wanted, but I guess you know what you're doing."

"What I'm doing? Please Mihoshi, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm just going to wait until Cullen can repair the ship and I'll join you on Jurai shortly after."

"Ok, if you say so Kiyone. Heh-heh," Mihoshi giggled softly, knowing full well that Kiyone had a plan, but wasn't about to divulge any of it to her. She really wanted to know what her partner had in mind, but something inside her told her not to ask. If Kiyone felt it was best to keep it secret, then she wasn't about to question her best friend's judgment.

"Well, whatever you're not planning to do, I pray that it works out. I'll deliver this disc like you told me to and wait for you on Jurai. Please be careful Kiyone."

"You too Mihoshi. I promise to be on Jurai as soon as I can." Kiyone answered back as she saw her partner venturing into Yagami in search of her wardrobe. As much trouble as Mihoshi can be, she can also be amazing sometimes with her uncanny intuitiveness. Thirty minutes later, a white spiky object was seen leaving the Trillian sky heading for deep space.

As Kiyone snapped out of her flashback, she silently said a prayer for her partner, hoping her journey to Jurai goes without a hitch.

************************************

DEEP SPACE…

"So uh, Nagi? How long is the trip to Jurai?" Mihoshi politely asked her hostess as both parties were sitting; Nagi on her command chair and the blond GP officer on the floor, to the left of the bounty hunter. Nagi wasn't accustomed to having guests riding on Ken-Ohki so she didn't have much use for furniture and her cabbit wasn't about to create one either.

"I figure at this speed thru hyperspace, we should get to Jurai a little less than two days, assuming nobody stops us to ask for directions…"

"Oh my, do you think we'll find someone lost during our ride? Gee, I hope not. I know I've been lost many times during my patrol and believe me, it's not fun."

"You got lost on your patrol watch? How the hell did you do that? Your ship has got the finest sensory and navigation systems in the galaxy. Only an idiot could get themselves lost with all that equipment." Nagi said, forgetting whom she was talking to.

"Oh well, you see…it was about five years ago and Kiyone was on another assignment and headquarters asked for the nearest ship to go to the Antilles system to investigate a civil disturbance. Naturally I responded to their hail, but for some strange reason HQ kept insisting that I continue on my present patrol and ignore their request,"

< Shit, I wonder why? >

"Anyway, I was on my way to Antilles when a comet came shooting past my starboard side. Boy, did my ship spin around like crazy," Mihoshi continued as she made circles to illustrate her point and Nagi was suddenly feeling queasy all the sudden.

"Did you check your readings Mihoshi?"

"Oh yes, but the instrument panel was making funny noises and the lights were blinking a lot. Turns out that they were effected by the comet's passing so I did the next best thing…"

"You called for help?" Nagi incorrectly guessed.

"Nope, I just guessed and told the ship's computer to take us to the nearest red star system since I knew that Antilles has a red giant for their star."

Nagi looked befuddled by Mihoshi's method of choice, but she dared ask her another question.

"Uh, Mihoshi? Antilles has a blue star for its system, not a red one…"

"I know Nagi. I was so shocked to see that little star. I thought Antilles switched stars or something. As it was, when we got there, it wasn't Antilles at all. It was the Cobalt system."

Nagi slapped her forehead, knowing where this conversation was heading. She reluctantly posed another question to Mihoshi.

"So that was when you realized you were lost, blondie?"

"Uh, nope. You see, the Cobalt system is made up of an organization of smugglers, so when they saw my ship…"

"They decided to blast it out of the sky?"

"Right. Hey it sounds like you were there, Nagi."

"Just a lucky guess on my part." < All because I would've done the same thing, only I wouldn't had missed. >

"That's a pretty good assumption. Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, the smugglers were chasing me down, trying to destroy my ship and all. I managed to elude them by entering this swirling cloud of mass that appeared on my screen."

Nagi knew right away what it was. "You mean you entered the Sagassi wormhole? Mihoshi, the other end of that thing is at the far end of the galaxy! It would've taken you weeks to get back to GP headquarters."

<Sniff> "I know, that was when I knew I was lost," <Sniff> "I had to ask for directions and when I got back the chief was so mad, he grounded me for one month until Kiyone finished her assignment and she was even madder after the chief filled her in."

The huntress merely shook her head in disbelief. She recalled back on Earth during her first encounter with the other girls that she ridiculed Kiyone for being washed up. After hearing her partner's misadventure, she's beginning to understand why the dark haired GP detective acted the way she did around Mihoshi. Nagi decided to call it a night.

"YAWN…well, that was an interesting tale there lady, but I think I'm calling it a night. I already plotted the course to Jurai so Ken-Ohki can fly there on his own. I suggest you get some rest too."

"YAWN…yeah, I am kind of sleepy. It's been a busy couple of days for all of us and I can't wait…can't wait to….ZZZZZZZZ"

Nagi got up from her chair to see that Mihoshi passed out on the right side of her. She was about to tell the blonde girl to sleep in another section of the cabbit ship, but she was out cold. It didn't matter though since Nagi knew that Mihoshi was a deep sleeper, she shouldn't have any problems accessing the disc undisturbed.

Nagi searched for the disc by quietly rummaging through Mihoshi's personal belongings, but found nothing. She decided to carefully check her jacket and pant pockets, figuring she didn't secure it yet, but still found nothing. Nagi got up and stared at the sleeping blonde, figuring where that disc could be. Then she figured the one place no one would dare to look.

"Naw, she didn't…did she?"

Nagi knelt down in front of Mihoshi, wiggling her fingers and began to open up her jacket. The sleeping girl had her pink sleeveless blouse on, with her ample cleavage staring right in front of Nagi. The bounty hunter was very impressed with Mihoshi's body, figuring her curvaceous frame made up for her lack of brain cells. Slowly and carefully, Nagi cupped her hands on Mihoshi's breasts, trying to feel for the disc. Even with her strapless bra on, Nagi found something `hard' and circular.

As she began to put her right hand inside the blond's bra, feeling her left breast for the disc, Nagi had to fight a sudden urge to do more than `feel'. The sensation of feeling the firmness of her tanned bosom was making the bounty hunter lose her concentration.

<Not now Nagi. Just do what has to be done and that's it. I ain't got time for any frolicking now. Maybe when we're on Jurai I'll test the waters then, but I have to see what's on that disc. >

"Heh-heh. Oh Kiyone, that tickles…"

The huntress stopped moving after hearing the GP officer talking in her sleep. After taking a deep breath, Nagi slowly pulled out the disc and sighed for relief. During all that, Mihoshi was still sound sleep.

"Chow-yo?"

"No Ken-Ohki, I wasn't trying anything funny with blondie here. You should know by now that if I wanted anything from someone, I'd face them head on. Now do me a favor and continue to monitor our status. I have to look at what's on this disc so I think it's better that you don't see it ok?"

"Chow." The cabbit ship agreed and switched his internal command functions to manual for his mistress. He continued to focus his attention to space, his thoughts on looking forward to seeing Ryo-Ohki once more.

Nagi inserted the disc into her command console and began to hack into it. Whatever information Washu had encoded on it, it might be useful down the road. However, when the internal sensors finished their scan, the ship's monitor suddenly flashed on and before Nagi's eyes, a chibi Washu appeared before her, holding what looked to be a square device with a big red button on it.

"Hi there, you have reached the encrypted gateway of the greatest genius of the universe. If you want to get through this entrance, please type in the password. You have 30 seconds…"

"What the…? Kiyone didn't say anything about a password! What the hell could it be?"

Nagi pondered as the screen showed the chibi Washu tapping her feet, waiting for a response. In the background, the theme from `Jeopardy' played. When the time was almost up, Nagi took a wild guess and typed in `Ryoko', figuring that might be it. The mini Washu stopped tapping and began to laugh.

"Heh-heh, sorry. It was a good try, but that's the incorrect answer. Please try again in 24 hours. Any attempts beforehand will cause this disc to automatically be wiped out by a self-contained virus. Have a nice day!"

"What?!? You can't be serious you worthless piece of shit! How dare you deny me of what I want! GRRR!!!" Nagi's cries of outrage went unanswered as she kicked the console out of frustration. Ken-Ohki stopped momentarily, wondering what was wrong.

"Keep going Ken-Ohki, I'm just mad at myself." < Damn that Washu! The password could be a number of names or things. Either she plans to slip it pass the Jurai cyber net to Lord Yosho or Mihoshi knows it. No, that couldn't be it. Knowing blondie, it could days before she remembers it. >

Nagi slumped back into her command chair feeling cheated, having been outdone by Washu. There was nothing she could do now except wait for another opportunity to arrive. If Mihoshi does know the password, she'd try to trick her into revealing it, otherwise she'd have to go about it by some other means in order to access the information once they were on Jurai. All she could do now is to put back the disc where she found it and that made the huntress smile for the moment.

*******************************

PLANET JURAI…

"Lord Yosho, I have Lady Washu on a secure line. Should I patch her through?"

"Of course, Kamidake, she's way overdue for contact," The old Juraian stated as the trio of men waited for the image of Washu to appear on the monitor screen in Yosho's old palace quarters. After their conference with Princess Ayeka, Yosho directed Azaka and Kamidake to follow him and continue with their strategy against the council and the unknown enemy that had yet to be revealed.

"Lord Yosho…it's been awhile. How's everyone holding up?" Washu asked, her eyes revealing a sign of relief of being able to speak to someone in the Masaki family.

"We're all fine, Washu. I must apologize for the long delay in contact. It seemed that our ship's captain was under orders to keep radio silence throughout our journey to Jurai. It was the council's `suggestion' that we be kept in the dark about our situation."

"So you couldn't communicate with anybody? Even on Jurai?"

"Not exactly, Lady Washu," Kamidake joined in on the conversation. "While no one was permitted contact outside the Juraian cyber-network, Lord Yosho was able to `convince' the Saibankan's communication officer that an urgent message to Jurai was needed. Through a secure line, he was able to contact me and relay his instructions."

"Great thinking, Lord Yosho. So I guess my first question to you would be what's happening at your end?"

"Have a seat, Washu, this may take awhile…"

"I'll bet, now how's Ryoko holding up?"

"As we speak, Ryoko is being processed at the capital detention center and will remain there until her arraignment. Tenchi is with her right now to make sure nothing happens to her."

"Well, that's a relief. I thought she would've freaked out when she recovered from her injuries. I'm surprised she didn't try to break out of the ship."

"Oh, she did try, Lady Washu, but with a neural collar around her neck, she was powerless," Azaka added, leaving out some of the more `interesting' details that occurred during his watch of the pirate in her med cell. "Ahem. Needless to say, Lord Tenchi was extremely helpful in calming her down."

"Nobuyuki and I saw the transmission from Jurai when you guys landed. Tenchi really laid that reporter out cold. Does that mean Tenchi finally told Ryoko?"

Yosho smirked and looked at the older knight, "Azaka?"

"Uhm, yes, Washu. He did finally admitted his love to Ryoko," < And in ways I wished I didn't have to hear, Tsunami help me! >

"Well, it's good that Ryoko has something to hold on to," Washu said happily, knowing that Ryoko had some hope before her real ordeal began. "How's the Princess doing? From what I read over cyberspace, her position in the Jurai government is shaky right now."

"From what we have seen here, the people aren't too happy with Ayeka's performance, especially with her being away for so long," Yosho said in earnest, knowing the tough road Ayeka had to walk.

"Princess Ayeka has requested an audience with the Holy Council of Jurai, Washu. If she is to help herself and Ryoko, she needs to convince the ministers that she is still a capable ruler, and that Ryoko's trial will not be undermined by outside forces. However, we still have a difficult task ahead of us since the brother of the slain noble is a influential member of the cabinet, and he seems bent on handing Ryoko the death sentence."

"Well, I wish I had some good news to tell you, Yosho, but unfortunately Kiyone and Mihoshi's mission didn't go too great either."

"Oh? I know that you were supposed to contact them once they had reached Galaxy Police Headquarters. Were there any complications?" The older Masaki's eyes narrowed after hearing Washu's news. He was starting to wonder if anything would go right for them.

Washu tried her best to condense the chain of events of what happened on Trillian Prime.

"Okay, after the girls left the GP, they headed to Trillian Prime to meet up with a giant named Cullen who was an old comrade of Ryoko's. He met with her after she left Earth and just before Braga was murdered. Ryoko seemed to have left the planet without saying goodbye and when Kiyone came looking for him for some answers, he suspected something was up."

"Did he assist the ladies, Washu?"

"You bet. He led them to the tavern where Ryoko was last seen and it turned out that the owner had a score to settle with her. Unfortunately, his associates killed him before he had a chance to talk, and in turn, Kiyone chased the bastards into space where there was one terrific firefight. I wasn't there of course, but I saw the video and boy did that battle beat any `Star Wars' saga…"

"Washu, mind toning down your enthusiasm and continue with your report?" Yosho abruptly interrupted the little scientist, not caring about the score of the battle. "What happened to detectives Kiyone and Mihoshi?"

"Uh yes, well they beat the other ship, but to the girls' surprise, Nagi came out of nowhere and blew the enemy ship away. Sadly, Kiyone didn't have the chance to interrogate the bad guys thanks to Nagi."

"Nagi, huh? Lord Yosho, it seems that we have a new player in this drama," Azaka said, sensing that Nagi's presence would add more to the mystery. "My lord, do you think her appearance is a mere coincidence?"

"Nagi has a history with Ryoko so her being there `at the right time' would hardly be considered accidental. I suspect that she has her own motives. Where's Nagi now Washu?"

"As we speak, she's heading for Jurai with Mihoshi, along with a disc containing the information that we are discussing. Kiyone is still on Trillian Prime with Cullen and plans to head for Xeria to dig up some more clues, assuming there's anything left to dig up."

"Still, the plan is sound and knowing Kiyone, she will encounter some of the elements that have started all this," Yosho surmised, knowing that the enemy would still had some influence on Xeria. "As for Nagi, perhaps if her motives are similar to ours, we can use her help. But what about this disc you mentioned? Since we're talking on a secure line, wouldn't the disc be worthless?"

"Yeah, to us maybe, but not to Nagi. Kiyone wasn't sure what the bounty hunter's motives were and so we devised this little ruse in order for Kiyone to get out of Trillian Prime undetected. Besides, with Mihoshi on board Ken-Ohki, Nagi should be there pretty soon, heh."

"Yes. I'm sure that with Mihoshi's mastery of `continuous dialogue', Nagi no doubt will leave a trail of half-fused plasma behind her in her effort to reach Jurai, heh"

Everyone shared a laugh at Lord Yosho's comment, imagining how Nagi was dealing with the GP officer and her endless chatter. Once the laughter died down, Washu resumed with the more serious conversation.

"Lord Yosho, did you get the chance to unload the equipment I gave you?"

"No Washu, I haven't. Kamidake, have all my belongings been unloaded from the ship?"

"Yes, sire. All your personal items have been packed away by the palace servants. The red container that contains Professor Washu's device is behind the blue partition to your right. I wasn't sure what your plans were, so I felt it best that it stayed out of sight."

"Excellent idea, Kamidake," Azaka complimented his younger partner as he went over and opened the trunk and pulled out the three transponder sequencers that would allow Washu to open a dimensional portal from one end to the galaxy to another. "Lady Washu, have you had the opportunity to test your theory about using this device to transport a person across the galaxy?"

"I had Claybourne run some simulations in his databank. According to him, there was a 97% success rate, but of course we still need to try and run a live test since there may be some hidden variables that I haven't foreseen. Any volunteers?"

Everyone in the room eyed each other askance, knowing full well no one was going to be the guinea pig for Washu's latest experiment. Yosho, as always, suggested another option. "Um, perhaps it'd be wiser that you start with an inanimate object Washu? Just to be on the safe side?"

"Pooh, you men are no fun." Washu pouted on the screen, then sticking her tongue out in defiance. "Fine, if you can find a place to setup, we can fiddle around with the equipment to see if it works."

"Well, my quarters here is larger than our living room back home on Earth so we'll set up the devices at the far end of the room," Yosho pointed out as he motioned Azaka to move the container towards the sleeping section of the room where halfway, huge drawn lavender curtains hung from each sidewall. When unfurled, they would cut the room in half, thus allowing privacy and in this case, absolute secrecy. Azaka continued to move the container as Kamidake drew the curtains in. When he found the right spot, Azaka opened up the trunk-like object and began to pull out what looked to be several tripods with a red colored glass ball on top of each one, as well as a keypad that was the size of a small calculator with a few color-coded buttons.

"We really need to get this thing working soon, Lord Yosho, so I can start transmitting materials over to you for Ryoko's defense." The little redhead stated as played around with her holo-keypad. "I'm also having Claybourne do some background checks on Lord Braga for the last couple of years. I'm hoping we may be able to shed some light on why he was on Xeria and who would want to kill him."

"Good idea, Washu. Kamidake also is looking into some of Lord Braga's activities in last several years after Kagato's demise," The old Juraian said in earnest as he looked towards the young knight. "Kamidake, what did you find out about the jurisdiction issue with our friends on the Galaxy Police?"

Kamidake came over and pulled out a disc with the inscribed Juraian letters `GP'. His expression was surprisingly pleasant as he handed it over to his master.

"I had to pursue several channels at GP headquarters until we found a willing ally that pointed me to several old archives, all related to the treaties and agreements that Jurai and the Galaxy Police had signed over the centuries. Interesting enough, when I mentioned to him that I was under your orders, he was more the willing to assist me in my search."

"Really? What was his name?"

"Captain Nobeyama. I found him to be an honorable man and he wished us luck in our attempt to save Ryoko." Kamidake answered, still puzzled of the GP officer's assistance.

"I'm sure he had his reasons Kamidake." <As well as helping out two of his subordinates. > Yosho smiled, knowing who the good captain was, but like Kamidake, a little surprised that he offered his help in this investigation. He assumed that Kiyone and Mihoshi had the captain's absolute faith in them since he was willing to help their cause, albeit indirectly.

"Tsunami must be listening to our pleas, Lord Yosho," Azaka commented, having finished unpacking Washu's transport equipment. "What are your next instructions, your highness?"

"Kamidake and I will examine the data he was able to retrieve from the Galaxy Police archives, while you will assist Professor Washu with her device." Yosho ordered his loyal knight as he examined the disc that Kamidake gave him. He walked over to the control console that was embedded on the wall, just above the viewing monitor and placed the disc into an empty slot. After reconfiguring the screen to allow it to have a dual display of Washu and the data, Yosho began to study the information in front of him. As he skimmed some the mundane language of the texts, he found something that made him smile.

Azaka and Kamidake looked at their prince with worry for they have never seen him smile like that before. Washu also looked at Yosho with a hint of curiosity. Rarely had she seen the old Shinto priest make any facial expressions, much less a happy one, but this time it was different.

"Lord Yosho, you're starting to scare me here. What're you so happy about?"

Yosho continued to smile happily while not say anything as the others looked on with confused looks on their faces. Moments later he broke his silence and spoke.

"Washu, that information you're trying to attain about Braga? Once you retrieve it, please forward it to me as soon as you can. Kamidake, when we're finished here, I need for you a place a `call' back to Galaxy Police HQ under a secure line. I will give you an encrypted code for security and once you have established contact, relay the transmission here to my quarters."

"At once sire. May I ask who it is that you wish to contact?"

"An old friend that might be able to shed some light. You'll know who it is once you see his face on the transmission display." Yosho replied, knowing whom he needed to speak now. "As for my smile…let's just say that I just found something very useful in helping us with Ryoko's defense."

The old priest looked again at the monitor display, seeing an old written agreement that caught his eye, looking to be very pleased as he silently read through the text.

"Yes, I think Tsunami may have heard our prayers for help. Let's just hope it's good enough to save Ryoko…"

*************************************

< The stars look so enchanting tonight. Something about them mixed with the clouds always makes me feel so calm. I wish I could always feel this way. >

Ayeka stood outside her room, her body leaning against the edge of the marble stone rail of the balcony as she looked up at the evening sky, seeing the beautiful scenario that her planet's skyline was offering. After going through some more notes for tomorrow's session with the council, she had hoped that a quick shower, some green tea that she brought back with her from Earth and a quiet moment of meditation would take edge off her nerves and allow her to fall asleep. After ten minutes or so, she realized that she was still wound up so she got out of bed and took her green silk bed robe and headed towards the balcony. As a child, Ayeka would always look at the stars, wondering what distant worlds were out there. When her father came by to tuck her in, he would tell stories about his travels to other planets and the people that resided on them. The late emperor had always told his daughter that one day when she was old enough, she would see for herself how big and wonderful the universe could truly be.

< Father, it's been years since you and mother have `passed' on. I tried my best to keep our family honor and traditions alive, but it's been difficult. Sasami misses you even though she barely remembers your faces. At this time of great peril, I only wish that you were here to guide me, to counsel me in dealing with this situation. Having Prince Yosho and his loyal knights have been a great source of comfort to me in that I can use their wisdom and experience, but I'm still so young and naive in many things. It's by the strength of Tsunami and the support of my adopted family that I'm able to move on like this. >

Ayeka slowly headed back to her room, her face downcast and dejected. She had hoped that some presence, some unknown force would come and tell her what she needed to know; something that made her feel that everything would turn out all right for her, Ryoko and the rest of the family. Despite the wishful thinking, that hope never came, so she re-entered her room and disrobed herself before sliding between her silky blankets on her bed and allowed her mind and body to drift off into a restless slumber.

Slowly, in what seemed to be an eternity for the princess, she opened her eyes and saw herself in her royal white regal kimono. As she turned around, Ayeka noticed that a cold, thick mist surrounded her. As her eyes tried to pierce through the mist, she heard a haunting, yet familiar voice calling out to her…

"AYEKA. AYEKA?!? COME HERE CHILD, I CAN'T HAVE YOU WONDERING AROUND THE PALACE CAUSING MISCHIEF NOW CAN I?"

"Who…who is it? Where are you?"

"Follow my voice child. If you listen to my voice, I'll tell you all that you need to know. A secret if you will."

"A secret? Something I need to know about? Does this have to do with my recent troubles?"

"Everything will be explained in due time my little Ayeka, but only if you come to me…"

"But where are you?!? How do I find you in this thick mist?"

"Just open your eyes my child and everything will reveal itself to you…"

Ayeka didn't quite understand what the voice was trying to say to her, but she closed her eyes for a few seconds and when they opened up again, the mist began to lift and as then the princess found herself in the long cavernous hall that led to the throne room. Being that no other entrance was around and no guards were standing by the great doorway, Ayeka decided to enter and seek out her mystery voice.

As she entered the great doorway of the throne room, she looked up at the marvelous murals of the ancient trees, the symbol of life of Jurai. She remembered when Tenchi confronted Kagato, they had seemed to come to life, and their energy radiating towards Tenchi and distracting Kagato enough to have the boy defeat him.

The fog that clouded the hall had also filled the throne room as well, but as Ayeka kept walking along the carpeted floor that led to the stairs of the great chair of the king, she began to see a shadowy figure seated at the top. When she saw what appeared to be a huge figure on the king's chair, she stopped at the base of the stairs, afraid of whom it might be. It couldn't be Kagato for Tenchi had killed him in battle. Lord Yosho had a disdain for the responsibilities of the king so it wouldn't be him either. Ayeka was truly stumped of whom could it be.

"Why are you hesitating my child? You wouldn't be afraid of me now would you?"

"Who are you? Who are you and what do you want with me?" Ayeka yelled out to the figure, still unable to see him clearly, "And what is this secret you keep mentioning?"

"I am someone who knows you better than most. I know your fears, you insecurities, but most importantly, I know the inner-strength that you carry. That is probably the one secret you have kept hidden from everyone, especially from yourself."

Curiosity started to take over as Ayeka began to ascend the stairs. The mist began to clear and soon she would know who her unseen companion was. The closer she got, she began to realize that the voice was getting more familiar, as if it was a voice from a past, someone whom she hadn't talked to in ages.

And when she reached the top of the stairs and stood right in front of the chair of the king, the figure rose up and through the last remnants of the mist, the princess saw the face of the last person she thought she'd never see again.

"FATHER?!? Father, is that you?" The princess gasped at the sight of her long dead father. King Azusa and his wife had been deceased for almost a decade, ever since they went off on an interstellar voyage a few years after Sasami was born and were never heard from again. Ayeka was only a young teen at the time, but when reports came in of the king's treeship being destroyed by a cosmic storm, she was thrust into the role of Empress of the Jurai Empire. It was a position she had to learn the hard way. Now, in this time of great distress, the one person she respected and looked up to the most was standing here before her, dressed formally in his green and gold trim uniform. His golden cape reached down to the sole of his feet as Azusa stood up with his royal golden staff firmly held with his right hand; the family crest stationed at on the top. It was a sight that Ayeka thought would be gone forever from memory, but there he was, standing right in front of her in the flesh…

Or was he?

"Hello Ayeka. I see that you manage to find me through all this confusion."

Ayeka didn't answered, but she immediately bowed down to the image of her father. She didn't know if this was real or a dream, but out of respect of his memory, she felt the need to pay homage.

"Father, is it really you or am I imagining all this? I missed you so much that I fear that I'm probably hallucinating…"

"Whether or not I'm real daughter, the only thing that matters is that you felt the need to see me once more. Perhaps in reality I'm no longer with you, but you still carry the memories and much of the wisdom I've tried to instill in you. This mist that surrounds us represents the utter helplessness and confusion you're feeling right now. As you try to see things much clearer, it gradually dissipates."

Ayeka still couldn't bear to lift her head up and face her father. Real or not, she felt that she had let him down as ruler of Jurai. Azusa was considered one of the greatest leaders in the long history of the planet which for Ayeka meant following in some pretty big shoes. The image of Azusa smiled lovingly at his daughter as he stepped off from his seat of power and knelt down by the princess. Gently he cupped Ayeka's face, the tears flowing from her eyes and onto his huge hands.

"Stand up Ayeka. If you're to be the future empress of Jurai, kneeling is not an option," Azusa lifted Ayeka's face and pointed out towards the vacant seat of power. "There are many things that you were not prepared for when I `passed on' and for that I'm truly sorry, however you are the descendent of the great kings of Jurai! The blood of nobility flows through you and as such, you are destined to rule this empire that I left you…"

"I know that father, but so many things have happened recently that I have begun to doubt whether I am ready for such a task. You have left such a great legacy behind that I fear that I am not worthy to follow in your footsteps."

The image of Azusa nodded his head in disappointment. He expected more from his oldest daughter, but saw that she needed to be pointed in the right direction. He took Ayeka by the hand and escorted her to the chair and motioned her to sit. Afterwards, he walked towards the edge of the marble steps, surveying what was in front of him.

"Ayeka, some children feel that they are not worthy to follow in same path as their parents; in fact most feel overshadowed by whatever accomplishments their ancestors may have achieved. However, that does not excuse you for trying to forge a path of your own. I may be gone, but a part of me is always with you…my love, my heart, my wisdom…all of these things I have tried to bestow upon you knowing that one day you will succeed me in the crown."

Ayeka sat there silent, listening to what her father, or the image of her father was trying to convey. Deep within her, she knew all this to be true, but something or someone close to her heart needed to tell her this. This dream that she was experiencing was so vivid that she started to wonder if Azusa came from the heavens to tell her what she needed to hear; to confirm to her what she already knew about herself.

"Ayeka let me ask you something. When your friends fought against Kagato, did you ever doubt their abilities? When young Tenchi crossed swords with that malcontent, did you actually believe in your heart that he would lose?"

"No father, despite the odds against us, I never did lose hope," Ayeka responded, her mind starting to understand what Azusa was getting at, "Deep down within my soul, I always knew that we would prevail."

"Then child, why do doubt yourself now? Your friends have a lot of faith in you, just as you had faith in them during those dark times. You have been taught by the best teachers on Jurai about handling people and sat by my side when I dealt with all the politics of our empire. There is nothing here that you haven't seen before and with your friends…correction…your family, you have a valuable supporting unit that no one can take away from you."

"You're right father, I never thought of it that way…"

"Ha, damn right you haven't, otherwise you wouldn't have felt the need to summon me from your subconscious," Azusa laughed out loud, his voice traveling throughout the immense throne room. His positive outlook was starting to brighten up the princess' mood.

"Remember Ayeka, when you face the Holy Council, they shall be expecting weakness from you, but that is something that you will not give them. You will face them with your head up, your voice loud and clear, and absolutely no wavering. It doesn't matter what they throw at you because you are the ruler of Jurai and therefore the final word stays with you. It matters not the words you say in order to sway their opinions, but the manner of how you convey them. If you truly believe in yourself and your family, your words will reach them and the people."

"I'm beginning to understand father, but even if I managed to convince the ministers of my capabilities of being Jurai's ruler, how will I be able to convince them about Ryoko? She's my friend, father, probably my best friend and I have no means to save her."

The late Jurai King walked back from the edge of the steps and rested his two massive hands on his daughter's shoulders. His huge grin telling Ayeka that everything was going to work out.

"There are some things a ruler can and cannot do. You must do what you can without compromising yourself and your friend. Remember what I said about your family giving you support? Whatever places you cannot go, they will go for you. Whatever task needs to be done, they will accomplish it. Whatever it takes to save your friend my child, have faith in them once more for Tsunami would never forsake those in need. There's a verse in the Holy Book of Jurai that says our patron goddess would never desert those who are righteous and if it's her will, she would lend us her strength and guide us to victory over those who would seek to destroy us."

"I remember that. Mother taught Sasami and me during our daily tutoring," Ayeka said as she recalled those long sessions in the palace grounds with her younger sister. "I almost had forgotten about it."

"Ha! Well, obviously you haven't since your subconscious managed to bring it up," The image of the late king laughed loudly again, making his daughter blushed from her stale memory. "It's a good sign that you remember your lessons from when you were younger."

"I guess so."

"Good. Since I see that you're smiling again, I believe that I must take my leave…"

"Father?!? Must you go now? I haven't seen you for so long and you words have opened my eyes. Can't you stay a little longer?"

Azusa smiled lovingly once more at his daughter before bowing down and kissed her forehead. With one gaze at her, he turned around and headed towards the stairs.

"Like I said before child, I never left you. A part of me will always be with you until the last days. Everything that we have talked about you already knew Ayeka, you just needed a little reassurance that's all and I did just that. I can't say for sure whether or not I'm part of your subconscious or by the good graces of Tsunami been brought back from the great beyond to help guide you through your crisis, but one thing we both know is that you will do fine and Tsunami willing, you will emerge victorious."

Ayeka slowly noticed that the mist was thickening once more, as if it was telling the princess that her time with her father was almost up. She continued to sit on the seat of power while the image of the great king began to disappear into the mist, but just before everything turn to black, she heard his final words…

"Always remember that I love you very much Ayeka, and how proud I am that you are my daughter. Always remember that even though I cannot be there with you, my heart and spirit will always be a part of you and will do so until the end of time…"

"G-Goodbye father. I love you too and I will prove myself worthy of your legacy…I will…I…"

Before she could continue, the mist overwhelmed the throne room, making it virtually impossible for Ayeka to see. Suddenly, she felt a force pulling her away from her chair, twirling her body around for what seemed an eternity until it finally stopped and in the next instance she rose from her bed, dripped in sweat, her mouth feeling parched.

With her heart racing, Ayeka got up from her bed and headed towards the window balcony. As she opened up the curtain, she saw that the Jurai sun was rising over the capital, signifying that morning had come. After taking a few moments to calm down, the princess walked over to the bath chamber in order to prepare herself for what promised to be a brutal session with the Holy Council.

As the palace servants entered to prepare her bath and clothes, Ayeka settled in the pool of warm water, trying to understand what she dreamt. Was it an image her subconscious mind invented in order for her to come to terms of what had to be done, or was it really Azusa himself, coming back from the dead to aid his eldest daughter in her time of need? The young ruler had no answers, but this much she knew: her father was one of the great kings of Jurai and he had taught her daughter everything he knew and that meant learning from the best. Deep down she knew she was more than capable of handling any crisis that came her way and with the help of her adopted family; there was no obstacle that can't be overcome.

As one of the handmaidens came over with a white towel and a pink and yellow flowery bathrobe, Ayeka recalled Yosho words that as long she was in charge; she was in control of the situation. Lord Aztek will try to be a divisive voice among the ministers, but as the First Crown Princess of Jurai, she was the final voice and Tsunami help them all if they got on her way. No one was going to take the crown away from Ayeka.

Determined as she was, her thoughts drifted back to Ryoko. As the ruler of the Juraian Empire, she has power over many things, but the laws are set and just. As much as she wished that she could overturn the charges and send Ryoko home with Tenchi and the others, She knew that it was not possible.

<As much as I'd love to, I'm still back to square one with Ryoko. If I try to intervene and overturn our laws, the council could accuse me of treason for turning my back on my people. As `father' said to me in my dreams, it may come down to what the others can do. >

Ayeka sighed, as her optimism waned a bit, knowing the limitations of her authority over Ryoko's trial. Still, her confidence was restored and felt optimistic that despite the odds, she and the rest would overcome these troubled times.

<It's all I can do for now; hope and pray to Tsunami that in the end Ryoko is proven innocent and will go free, > the princess thought to herself. As she finished up dressing in her formal garment, she wondered what would her reaction be if she was to see her rival and Tenchi embraced in that happy moment when the tribunal clears her of all charges?

< Heh, I'll probably go up and embraced them both before slapping that pirate upside the head for putting me through all this grief. > She suppressed an urge to giggle.

************************************

0900 JURAI CAPITAL STANDARD TIME…

"HEAR YE, HEAR YE!!! Will all ministers and representatives please take your seats? This emergency session of the Holy Council of Jurai will begin shortly once her majesty, Princess Ayeka, has entered the chamber."

The room was nearly full of every minister and politician from every province of Jurai. They all had come to argue and to hear what the future empress of Jurai had to say. A small faction, led by Lord Aztek wanted to stir things up as to make the princess reconsider her position to ascend the throne. Some had felt that her overextended stay on the Earth was an indication that her dedication, if not her loyalties lay elsewhere. The few malcontents that were forcing the issue, wanted to see if today was the day the First Crown Princess of Jurai would take a stand for her ascension or step down in disgrace.

Adding into the mix was the status of a certain space pirate accused of murdering a Jurai nobleman and the situation had the potential of being extremely volatile. Aztek, unbeknownst to many, had manipulated the council and many of the media into thinking Ryoko was a horrible monster that had to be captured, convicted and executed at all costs. While no proof could be given that Aztek was behind the furor, many felt it was natural since it was his younger brother that had been killed and Ayeka's fall from grace could open up a path to the throne for him, if he so desired.

"Ministers! Honored guests! I present to you Princess Ayeka, future empress of the Juraian Empire!" rang out the Main Speaker of the Holy Council of Jurai as the massive twin doors opened up and slowly Ayeka entered the room, with Azaka and Kamidake flanking her at each side. Everyone in the room stood as the small party entered, making their way through the throng of dignitaries from all corners of the planet.

Behind them was Yosho, who had what appeared to be several brown folders containing documentation. Many of the ministers had never seen the old Juraian in person and to see the legend in the flesh was a bit overwhelming. As the princess made her way across the room, she felt the cold stares of many up front. The people bowed as she passed them, but their glares, the sudden hostilities towards her were making Ayeka uncomfortable. Regardless, she continued her walk until she climbed up the ivory marble stairs that led to the highest point of the room, where the monarch's chair was waiting for her.

The knights stood behind their ruler as she sat down with Yosho taking a seat just a level below Ayeka, sitting next to the Speaker of the Council. It was apparent to all that Lord Yosho would be assisting Ayeka during this session and for many in the warring faction, including Aztek, it did not sit well with them. As the people settled in, the speaker went up to the podium and began the session.

"By order of the First Crown Princess Ayeka, this emergency council meeting has been organized in order to settle several issues regarding the status of the rule of the Royal Family. As Juraian tradition dictates, any parties, with whatever grievances they came with, can rise and speak to the entire council assembly. Afterwards, when all who have stated their cases are finished, the princess will answer any allegations that have been brought before the council. Unless anyone has any questions, we will begin the proceedings. Who will be the first to state their grievance?"

"If I may Mr. Speaker?"

"The council recognizes Representative Toma from the Skaruli Province. You may state your case sir…"

The young Juraian was a tall, long blacked haired man who represented one of the northern provinces. He was the leader of the Mahu party, which was a moderate faction that did not share Aztek's political views. While many had lined up with the Minister of Public Information, Toma stressed the need for restraint. While many had questioned the loyalties of the Royal Family, the distinguished leader of the Mahu party preached patience until Ayeka's return to inquire about her recent activities.

"Thank you sir. Princess Ayeka, let me say that we are all pleased that you have arrived on Jurai safe and sound. However, many of us are worried about the recent events that have befallen our kingdom in these past few weeks. We are all saddened by the death of Lord Braga, but unlike some members of this council; the members of my party do not suspect that the Royal Family had any involvement in this incident."

Ayeka was pleased to hear that not everyone was out to get her crown. She had only met Toma once or twice prior to her extended stay on Earth, but her impression of him was that the handsome politician was a capable man who had the respect of his peers and constituents. Her eyes remained fixed on Toma as he continued to speak…

"Now I'm aware that the main topic of discussion around the kingdom is the capture of the notorious space pirate Ryoko, and I'm most certain that justice will be done whether of not she had committed the crime, but regardless of the outcome your highness, some questions needs to be ask of you…"

Whatever positive outlook Ayeka was starting to believe in was wiped away from her face as she began to dread what was about to be said. Yosho, as well as Azaka and Kamidake remained stone faced, each observing the behavior of the council members. The old Juraian sensed that there was more than meets the eye and this was a good opportunity to measure those who would oppose Ayeka and her right to the crown. As they scanned the chambers, Toma continued to speak.

"Before this heinous crime was committed and even before the Kagato incident, you have stayed away from Jurai for a very long period of time, something no ruler should be doing unless there're important reasons. Princess Ayeka, I am asking…the people are asking why have you stayed away from us? Why have you forsaken your people and the empire?"

"Representative Toma, please mind your words!" the Speaker of the Council called out, not wanting to upset the princess.

"No offense was intended Mister Speaker. I'm sure that the princess was expecting these questions…"

"And I'm sure none was taken mister Toma," Yosho answered as he stood up to address the crowd. "You have every right to question the motives of the Royal Family especially after the recent events that have taken place."

Yosho looked around the chambers until he gazed his eyes on the one person who had plenty to gain by this turmoil, "Princess Ayeka will be more than glad to answer your questions, however I believe that Lord Aztek has a few words to say to the princess and the council."

Aztek was caught off guard by Yosho's sudden announcement. He had hoped to surprise the crowd and the princess, but based on the old prince's comments, he knew that they were prepared for him. As he stood up and approached the speaker's podium, his face was emotionless as he began to speak.

"Thank you, Lord Yosho. I also would like to express my joy of your recent return, as did our esteemed colleague Representative Toma. Indeed Princess Ayeka, all of us at the council are so elated at your return from your long journey to the Sol system. However, as Toma has stated earlier, your long absence from Jurai has greatly disturbed the people. When your father Azusa was emperor, never did he take such an extended leave unless it was in the utmost importance. Azusa was always close to Jurai, as well as to his people."

Sensing that the princess would be unnerved by his last comment, Aztek tried to keep the pressure on as he continued to speak.

"But that has changed in recent years. After the emperor's death, a great vacuum was left and the only person to fill that role was you, your highness, but it seems that you are not fulfilling that role as you are meant to." Aztek continued to press his verbal attack on Ayeka as the princess began to squirm in her chair, sensing that council members believed the nobleman's words. "Several years back you were conducting your marriage meetings in the various locations that were assigned. Then, without warning you went off to the Sol system to answer a distress signal, which turned out to be from a marooned Galaxy Police officer and a wanted criminal. Now, things have turned out to be, how should I put it, interesting…? You forming an alliance with this space pirate, finding Prince Yosho and his grandson Prince Tenchi and in a bizarre turn of events, you and your band of space wanderers managed to save us from the evil that was Kagato."

Ayeka kept tapping her fingers against her right thigh, wondering how much garbage Aztek was going to spew out. She looked down at Yosho as Aztek continued to work the room into his favor. Yosho, sensing Ayeka's eyes were on him, looked back and with a wink and a warm smile, assured the princess that all would be well.

"Now we are all most appreciative that your friends saved us, your highness, but instead of staying of Jurai to resume your duties as the First Crown Princess, you went back to Earth in a futile effort to win over Prince Tenchi's heart, a man who, I may add, rejected your offer to assume the crown and stay on Jurai."

"Lord Aztek, you're treading on dangerous ground here," The Speaker called out, trying to keep the session respectable and not a personal mudsling at Ayeka. "Any comments made here should be pointed towards the issue of the Princess' ability on ruling Jurai, not a open session on her personal life."

"But Mr. Speaker, her personal life does involve her ability to rule. It was her emotional attachment to the prince and her friends that made her stay on that backwater planet instead of being here and ruling the kingdom as she was supposed to. It's her friendship with that wretched space pirate that compounded our law officials to properly see to it that she be held accountable for the murder of my brother Lord Braga; a respected and man in the council and a loyal servant to the crown! Representative Toma asked the princess about her loyalties to her people, but I must ask her highness if she intends to assist or interfere with the trial of the infamous pirate Ryoko? Do you have a answer your majesty?"

This was it. All night Ayeka was worried about what was going to be said and what were going through the minds of the council members. If this was how they felt, then she could only imagine what her people were thinking. This was the moment the Azusa told her in the dream that she needed to shine. No fear, no doubt. Despite the circumstances, she needed to be in control and to let everyone in the chamber see it.

Slowly, she stood up and proceeded to make her way down the stairs to the podium as Aztek returned to his seat. Azaka accompanied the princess as she finally reached her destination. She calmly cleared her throat as all of Jurai's elected officials were staring down at her. She was thankful that these council sessions were closed to the public. Tsunami knew what the opinions would be if the people heard what Aztek had said. Gracefully but forceful, she began to speak.

"Ministers, honored officials and guests. As the First Crown Princess, I warmly greet you. I would like to say that I am very happy to be back on Jurai and with my people. Let me say this now that my loyalty has always and will be to the people of our great kingdom. I know that many of you have wondered about my position in the Royal Family, especially since I have spent a great deal of time on the planet Earth with Prince Yosho and his extended family."

Everyone in the chamber remained silent as Ayeka continued on. Yosho looked on contently, confident of Ayeka's abilities. Toma leaned forward, his elbows on the old wooden table that was before him, listening attentively. Lord Aztek also sat back on his seat, his face showing utter disdain towards the princess. He had made it clear that he would convict Ryoko if he could and anyone else that was involved, and if the Royal Family was implicated, then so be it.

Ayeka remained calm as she continued on, never showing a hint of nervousness or fear. There were rumors running about that her time on Earth had softened her, that it may have corrupted her to the point that she didn't wish to be queen. After her opening statement, she was trying her best to dispel those thoughts.

"It is true as Representative Toma and Lord Aztek had said that I have been away from Jurai for a long period of time, leaving much of my administrative duties to my loyal knights Azaka and Kamidake. However, I wish to make it clear that it was not my intention to remain on Earth indefinitely and to let the rule of the Royal Family become stagnant."

The princess looked at Toma, her face displaying a warm smile, her eyes revealing her vulnerable side, "If my actions over the last several years were considered an act of neglect on my part, then I sincerely apologize to all for this was not the case. If an explanation is needed, then I would like to clear up any misconceptions that are laying about."

"Princess Ayeka forgive me, but you still haven't explained to the council of why you have stayed away for so long. With all due respect to your valiant knights, this kingdom needed a monarch to rule it and you weren't around," Toma injected, sensing the sincerity of Ayeka's words, but still not satisfied, "The fact that you have returned now due to the possible conviction and execution of your friend does not speak well of your motives nor your reputation."

"You're quite right Mr. Toma, I should've had returned prior to this incident. However, before I comment on my relationship with Ryoko, allow me to explain my reasons for my delayed return. It is known to everyone that I have been away on several marriage sessions to engage with other various monarchies that expressed their interest to ally themselves with us. It was during one of those voyages that I intercepted a distress signal and found myself on Earth with Lord Yosho, his grandson Tenchi Masaki and of all things, the infamous space pirate Ryoko. I did try to return immediately, but due to several `mishaps', including the unfortunate destruction of my vessel and my sister's ship, I was unable to contact anyone until one of the Galaxy Police patrol cruisers came to investigate."

Yosho needed to cover his mouth and prevent anyone from seeing him form a wide grin, knowing full well that Ayeka herself caused the first accident and Ryo-Ohki losing her control over a carrot caused the second crash. It was fortunate that when Kiyone came to look for Mihoshi, she was kind enough to embellish her report to the GP officials so no one would suspect otherwise.

"Now, since this was the time that Kagato falsely made himself to be Lord Yosho and assumed the throne, there was no way for me to return without getting arrested for treason, as the false king tried to do. As it turned out, my merry band of space wanderers, as Lord Aztek put it, came with me and helped me save the kingdom. It was during that time in space that I had gotten to know both prince Yosho and Tenchi and strangely enough I formed a friendship with Ryoko. I will be the first admit that our relationship was strained at times, but when Lord Tenchi needed to come and save me and Jurai from Kagato, she willing risked her life to bring them here and nearly died for it. For that I will always forever be grateful to her."

"That's may be fine and dandy Princess Ayeka and no one has forgotten what your friends have done for the kingdom, but not long after the Kagato incident you left for Earth again. It is only now that you're returning, due the arrest of your friend, " Toma stated the events to Ayeka again, still not satisfied with her answers, "Again I ask, why did you wait so long to return?"

The violet-eyed woman stayed silent for a few moments, trying to gather her thoughts. She knew why she stayed behind, but trying to tell the Holy Council that she returned to Earth for a love of a man who may not have returned those feelings, plus to stay with a group of people that she felt more at home than with her own people would not go over with her people. Within her mind, the image of her father appeared, smiling at her daughter and urging her to seize the moment before it's to late.

"To be quite honest, I felt that there was some unfinished business to be taken care of on Earth. When no word of Ryoko came through, I felt an obligation to return and see if she had possibly contacted Lord Tenchi and perhaps even made her way back. At the time of her valiant effort to assist Prince Tenchi and my knights, she sustained serious injuries that were; from I was told, almost fatal. Given that Earth's medical technology was crude at best and that Professor Washu was still at the science academy, I felt it was best that I return just in case she returned and was still hurt."

"Very commendable on your part your highness, although I'm sure that one of the royal physicians could had done the same if ordered to. Was the trip really necessary?"

"Mister Toma, how many people do you know dislike you?"

"I beg your pardon?" Toma politely asked, although puzzled by Ayeka's question.

"You heard me. Are you aware of anyone that really dislikes you? A rival perhaps?"

"I suppose so, although I never really thought about it much…"

"Then what if a hated rival went out of his way and helped you? Even though the individual had nothing to gain and much to lose and they still decided to help you, how would you feel about that person?"

Toma had no immediate answer. The scenario that Ayeka had brought up had taken him and the other council members by surprise. Even though everyone on the room knew that she was talking about her relationship with Ryoko, this was something they weren't expecting.

"I'm not sure princess, but I suspect that if someone of that nature were to do that for me, I guess I would feel the same as you. I guess I would feel some sort of gratitude and that the act needed to be repaid." It was at those last words that Toma finally understood Ayeka's steadfast support of Ryoko.

"Then perhaps you can see why I did what I felt I needed to do sir. I will admit that by the time I reached Earth, Ryoko had already returned, as well as some of my other friends. It wasn't too long afterwards that we had to deal with the threat of that monster Kain and almost a year later Lord Tenchi was nearly lost to us when a lost spirit nearly claimed him for herself."

"Excuse me, did you say lost spirit?" Aztek asked, wanting the princess to clarify herself.

"What the Princess meant was the spirit of Haruna, an old love of mine who accompanied me to Earth years ago when I left Jurai, Lord Aztek," Yosho stepped in, having more knowledge of the subject than Ayeka did. It was during that time when Tenchi's feelings for Ryoko finally surfaced and even Ayeka saw it coming. The shrine master felt at the time had Tenchi made his feelings known to everyone, Ayeka would've have probably returned to Jurai, but due to his usual indecisiveness, the princess held out for that small hope that he would return the same affections she had for him.

"Her spirit was somehow awakened and took Tenchi off to some alternate reality fueled by the Jurai power that he possesses. It was a team effort, but had it not been for Ayeka and Ryoko constantly searching for him for months, we would've lost him for sure."

<You're too kind Yosho. We both know who really saved him at the end and deservingly so. > Ayeka thought to herself, knowing full well had Ryoko not entered that dimension one last time; Tenchi would've been stranded. "That was about a year ago, and Lord Tenchi then wished for me to stay as he completed his studies. Nothing had happened during that time until the murder of Lord Braga. Perhaps had I been here, something could have prevented it, but I can't say for sure. Braga was one of the first who accepted a cabinet position when most of the council members under Kagato had resigned. He was a good man and shall be missed."

"I thank you for your kind words about my brother your highness," Aztek replied, sensing that the mood of the crowd is starting to change in favor of Ayeka. "However the fact remains that you are associated with a well-known criminal who has been accused of murdering the Finance Minister. To make matters worse is that a member of another branch of the Royal Family; Lord Yosho's grandson to be precise is romantically involved with the accused. My question to you your highness is simply this: Where are your loyalties? Do you still plan lead our people or do you intend to defend outsiders?"

"Lord Aztek, I can understand your skepticism about my loyalties. However, I will not hide the fact that Ryoko is my friend and it pains me to see her locked up in our prison. I will not hide my admiration for her and if you were to ask if I think she committed this horrible act against Lord Braga, my answer to you is no; I do not believe she did it!"

The whole room went in an uproar as soon as they heard Ayeka's last comment. It was getting loud enough that the speaker rose from his seat and began to bang on his ceremonial table with his gavel.

"Order, Order! We shall not have any unruly outbursts until Her Royal Highness has finished. Everyone please settle down." Ayeka was startled by the noise, but remain calm after a few moments passed and everyone returned to their seats. She'd finally said what she needed to get off her chest, but now was the time to let the council know who was in charge.

"Gentlemen, let me make this clear to you. You all assume that because I have been away for a long period of time that my authority over you and our people has grown soft. If any of you feel that way, then I dare anyone in this room to challenge my position as First Princess of Jurai. My friends and I once bled for all of you when Kagato nearly stole the throne and if need be, I would do it again, but I will not have anyone undermining my authority! My first priority, my loyalties have been and will always be the people of Jurai!"

Toma's faction was the first to rise and applause and did Yosho and the knights. Eventually, the majority of the people stood up and clapped, with the exception of Aztek and his party. He was visibly annoyed with the sudden turn of events.

"Well, Princess Ayeka, I see that you haven't soften your stance in the last several years and I commend you for that. Since you made it clear of where your loyalties are, I, myself would still like to know what do you intend to do about the upcoming trial of your friend Ryoko? And what about Prince Tenchi, will he try to interfere with the proceedings?"

"Let me state for the record that the relationship between the accused and Lord Tenchi is not my main concern or my responsibility, and since Lord Tenchi had declined to ascend the throne, he has the right to live anywhere he wishes and to be with whomever he wishes. I assure you that despite what happened yesterday with that reporter, Lord Tenchi has been advised not to interfere with the laws of Jurai."

"And you princess? Will you stand there and accept whatever punishment the court decides to hand down on the accused or will you try to circumvent the court's decision should it be unfavorable towards the criminal?" Aztek questioned the princess one last time as he smirked at her direction, trying to put her in a bad position.

"As I said before, I still believe Ryoko had nothing to do with this crime. However, as ruler of the Juraian kingdom, I know the limits of my powers and if the courts decide that Ryoko is guilty of murder, I will abide by their decision, but understand this Lord Aztek, she will be given every full right that our laws can provide, so while I understand the people's need for a quick and just trial, this will not be public lynching and as ruler I will see to that."

The cheering was more subdued, as the council members felt more obligated to applaud rather than simply agreeing with the princess. Her point however was made.

"Now I believe I have answered Lord Aztek's questions. Representative Toma, do you have any other questions for me?"

"No your highness, I believe you made your point. Allow to say that you'll have the full support of my party should you ever have need of it. I don't fully agree with some of your decisions, but you have made it crystal clear of where you stand in these proceedings."

"Does anyone else have a grievance to state to the princess?" The speaker called out to the other members after Toma sat down, "If not, then the last right of statement goes to Princess Ayeka. Your highness?"

"Just one thing…you all have made clear that my presence was sorely missed and I do apologize for that. If things had been different then perhaps I would've returned sooner, but I think after hearing to what I had to say, I would hope that you all at least could understand why I acted in the manner I felt was best for myself and my friends. Since that was in the past and we're now heading towards the future, you can rest assured that I will be here for a very long time. Thank you for coming here today."

A thunderous applause rang out as Ayeka stepped off the podium and waited for Yosho and Kamidake to meet her by the doorway. As she began to pass by the first row of politicians, each one respectfully bowed to her, but with no malice in their eyes as earlier before. As the quartet reached the great doorway, Toma cut them off.

"Your majesty, I commend you on your stirring speech. I hope you wasn't offended by my comments?"

"Not at all Mister Toma, you have every right to question my actions. I just hope you understand why I did what I felt was right."

"Not everything your highness, but I still respect your decision nevertheless. If anything, your heart was in the right place and no one should question that. Again, welcome home your majesty."

"Thank you, Toma, it was a pleasure seeing you again."

Toma graciously bowed to Ayeka before heading off with the rest of the crowd, but before she could move Aztek and his aide waited for her by the doorway.

"A rousing speech Princess Ayeka. You actually managed to fool some of your constituents with your heartfelt words of loyalty and sympathy…"

"Mind your tongue Aztek! You do not have the right to address the princess in that manner!" Azaka barked at Aztek, feeling that the minister is forgetting his place.

"My mistake sir knight, I just wanted to congratulate the princess on a well thought speech. Obviously, she had some fine tutors at her disposal."

"Well, Lord Yosho did assist me in what I wanted to say Lord Aztek, but what I said out there was from the heart and no one should be questioning that," Ayeka responded as she stared up to the older Juraian. Aztek nervously laughed back, pretending that he wasn't affected by Ayeka's forceful presence. He thought that she would've come back from Earth as a scared child, but now he could see that this wasn't the case.

Reluctantly, he bowed to the princess and was about to make his way out of the council chamber, but instead he went up to Ayeka and whispered something to her left ear before heading out the door.

"This isn't over yet your highness. I'll be watching you and your friends and trust me when I say that the wench will get the full punishment she deserves for killing my brother!"

Kamidake was about to step in before Aztek pulled back and walked away. He smiled and looked back, saying to her `See you in court'.

Ayeka gave Aztek a leery look, wondering what the Information Minster was capable of. As she followed Yosho and the knights outside and into a waiting hovercraft with armed escorts, she began to wonder if she said the right things. She asked herself if she actually pulled it off, duping the council into thinking that she was in total control.

"Yosho?"

"Yes Ayeka?"

"Do you think today's session has helped us in any way?"

Yosho thought about it for a moment and smiled at the younger Juraian.

"I think your performance was superb Ayeka. If anything, the enemy now knows that they will have their hands full if they decide to come up against us."

"But sire, you don't suspect that Lord Aztek is our enemy?" Azaka questioned his liege. The old knight had assumed it's the minister based on his behavior today.

"That would be an easy assumption Azaka, but I suspect there's more than meets the eye. Aztek does have an agenda against the Royal Family, but my instincts tells me that he's using his brother's death as more of a political ploy than anything else. Whether he's the one that framed Ryoko I cannot say, but if he is, then that makes him involved in Braga's death."

"Doesn't speak well of him if he had his brother killed and if he did, what would be his motive?"

"Again, I cannot say Kamidake, but I'm sure everything will come to surface once the trial begins."

<The trial…Ryoko's trial. It starts tomorrow with her arraignment and for now I must stand back and let Jurai's laws decide what her fate will be. > Ayeka said to herself, deep in thought. Today, she may have saved her crown, but whatever small victory she gained today would be for naught if in the end Ryoko still had to die. It was a road that they would all have to take and see through to the end.

TO BE CONTINUED…

***************************************

A/N: For those of you who were wondering where the hell I was, I apologized for the long delay. Sometimes real life takes precedence over our labor of love, but I got my issues resolved and hopefully I'll be updating more frequency.

Some of you may have noticed in that last chapter; I said that `the arraignment' was to be the following chapter. Turns out I was getting ahead of myself which was another reason for pulling back and figuring out where I wanted to go with this story. Thankfully, I figured it out.

My thanks to Bobr for looking over this chapter and weeding out the mistakes. With writing a chapter this long, you know there's gonna be some bleeps and blunders

Thanks in particular to a certain Texas gal who offered plenty of neat ideas, including the chapter title. I'd give a hug if I could, but damn it my arms can't reach that far. ~_^

And thanks to those who offered their advice and support. Sometimes writing an epic like this can be trying, but since if you guys like it, I'll keep on writing.

RESPONSES FROM LAST CHAPTER:

Ma: Gracias por las palabras. Significan mucho.

K.Yoshi: Hell, sometimes I can't even spell my own name, but I'm glad you like the story.

Kyro2000: A good guess, but unfortunately you'll have to wait, heh. Anyway, I'm hoping that Ryoko being locked up and putting her faith on the rest of the family is a sign of maturity and an inner strength she probably never knew she had. She's gonna need it. I'm eagerly awaiting for your next chapter my friend; I really enjoy reading your Tenchi tale as well.

In the next chapter, Kiyone and Cullen go to Xeria to dig up some more clues and get a warm reception. Meanwhile `The Arraignment' gets underway so you don't want to miss it.

As always, your reviews are appreciated. If you want a more elaborate explanation, you can email me at a.falc@verizon.net

Thanks for sticking with me.

Peace, Alighthawk