Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ The Trial ❯ The Arraignment ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*Disclaimer: The main characters in this story are property of AIC, Pioneer, & Viz Comics. All the other characters were created by me, so any similarities are just dumb luck so please don't sue me.
 
** Author's notes: This story takes place about a year after “Tenchi Forever” in which it follows the “Tenchi Universe” storyline, though some names and places from the OAV and manga might appear. C & C is welcomed, but easy on the flame throwing!
 
 
The Trial: by alighthawk
 
Chapter 13 - “The Arraignment”
 
“From the Interstellar News Channel, located in the heart of the Galactic Union, we take you now live to the capital of the planet Jurai with some late breaking news. On the scene is INC reporter Roan Darke. Roan, what can you tell us?”
 
“Just minutes ago at the Holy Ministry headquarters here at the capital of Jurai, the Holy Council of the Juraian Empire has just adjourned and from what my inside sources has told me, Princess Ayeka has survived the political pressure from the Council to step down as ruler of the Kingdom of Jurai.”
 
“Roan, this is Xandu Artraides. Can you tell us what was said during the council session? We understood that a couple of key cabinet officials stated their grievances to the princess. Did the officials demand that Princess Ayeka step down from the throne?”
 
“Xandu, we don't have any audio or video due to the tight security surrounding the meeting, but my sources tell me that the leader of the Mahu party presented himself at the speaker's podium and demanded that the princess reveal her reasons for being away from the kingdom for such a long period of time. As you well know, Ayeka and her younger sister, Princess Sasami had been staying on a remote planet at the far end of the galaxy where they discovered that the legendary Prince Yosho was living in a self-imposed exile. It wasn't too long ago that the Royal Family and several allies, including the infamous space pirate Ryoko helped overthrow the rule of Kagato.”
 
“And that same pirate Ryoko is now being charged with the murder of the finance minister, Lord Braga; am I correct Roan?”
 
“You're absolutely right Xandu. It is for that very same reason that the status of the Royal Family is now being questioned. Ryoko is accused for murdering Lord Braga and there is speculation that possibly Princess Ayeka or even Lord Yosho himself had harbored the criminal Ryoko after the killing. And to further complicate matters is that Prince Yosho's grandson, one Tenchi Masaki is romantically involved with the infamous space pirate. I tried to question the young prince yesterday as they disembarked from the Warship Saibankan and in a fit of rage; Prince Tenchi struck this reporter down to the ground. If you can get a good close-up of the right side of my face, you can still see the welt that the earthling left behind.”
 
“Wow Roan, that's a real shiner you have there. That must've really hurt…ahem…such an uncalled act on the prince's part. Anyway Roan, what else can you tell us?”
 
“Xandu, sources tell us that along with Representative Toma, the Minister of Public Information, Lord Aztek had also spoke at the podium, questioning the Princess' loyalty to the Jurai Empire. However if the council members were expecting a concession speech from her royal highness, they were sadly mistaken for as far as we know for the present, the Royal Family is still in control of the Jurai kingdom.”
 
“Amazing Roan, but can you be more specific in what did the princess said to the council?”
 
Xandu, as far as we were told, the princess offered a sincere apology and a believable explanation with regards to her time off Jurai, presumably assisting Lord Yosho on Earth after the Kagato incident. Despite the circumstances surrounding the Royal Family, neither evidence nor accusations have been directed towards them. From what I was told, Princess Ayeka's stirring speech has it clear that she has no intentions of relinquishing her hold to the Jurai crown and with Lord Yosho on hand in what was his first appearance in the main assembly hall in so many years, she will remain on Jurai to ascend the throne.”
 
“An interesting development Roan, but did anyone bring up the upcoming trial of space pirate Ryoko to the princess? Did anyone questioned her about their relationship or the relationship between Ryoko and Prince Tenchi?”
 
“Xandu, we were told that Princess Ayeka was straight forward about her relationship with the accused and that she still believed in her innocence. However, her majesty was forthright in telling the assembly that she will not intervene with Ryoko's trial, stating that the laws of Jurai are specific regarding the monarchy's power over the legal system. As for the relationship between Prince Tenchi and the accused, she had no comment…”
 
“So as far as we know ladies and gentlemen, the Royal Family under Princess Ayeka has withstood the political turmoil that has plagued Jurai in the last several weeks. Roan Darke, thank you for the report…”
 
“We'll continue to monitor the situation on Jurai starting with today's arraignment of space pirate Ryoko and any late breaking news that comes along. Back to you Xandu…”
 
“That was Roan Darke reporting live from the Jurai capital. Please tune to INC for late breaking announcements as they develop throughout the day and we'll be right back at 3:00pm Juraian time for the arraignment of the space pirate Ryoko for the murder of the finance minister Braga…”
 
*************************************
 
“Blah, blah, blah; can't those guys give it a rest? I mean really, am I the only thing that's going on this Tsunami forsaken place?” Ryoko sighed as she watched the newscast from her secured cell; looking disenchanted about her predicament.
 
Since her arrival on Jurai, the cyan haired pirate had been locked up in a maximum-security cell deep within Jurai's planetary prison. The section where she was assigned to was specifically designed for class 1A type criminals where each cell was equipped with an electro-static force field that prevented anyone from entering or leaving through the hallway or through the air vents that's positioned above the cell's ceiling. The cell itself was sparse with only a folding bed that's attached to the sidewall, a toilet with a rusted folding partition for privacy and a sonic shower and sink. The government officials that were in charge of the prison budget decided that constant water consumption by condemned criminals was a waste of precious resource.
 
The only luxury that a prisoner was given was a satellite digital monitor that transmitted certain channels that the prison allowed. It was nothing fancy, only a 17' inch square color set that was hanging from the far corner of the cell. Ryoko was lucky enough that she could watch TV while laying in her bed, as she was accustomed to doing when she was back at the Masaki house; laying on the couch and being able to watch some soaps or pro-wrestling before Ayeka would pounce on her and make her do the house chores.
 
It was those times that had her reminiscing in her cell as she watched the newscast about her upcoming trial. As she fumed over Darke's live report, an elevator opened up from the far end of the hallway and out came Lucas with a tray of food. Ryoko pretty much forgotten what time or day it was, but smelling the aroma that traveled to her cage, she guessed that it was breakfast.
 
“Hey Lucas, what you got for me?” Ryoko asked as her nose continued to take in the aroma as the Juraian soldier took off the oval metallic covering and revealed of plate of scrambled eggs, bacon, and reddish flaky bread that passed for toast on Jurai. “Well, it ain't the royal palace, but it'll do. Man, do I miss Sasami's cooking right now.”
 
“Yes, I hear that the princess was a extraordinary chef back on Earth,” Lucas spoke as he heard about Sasami's culinary talents, “I do believe that Prince Tenchi might bring her with him for a visit.”
 
Lucas went over to the sidewall next to Ryoko's cell and opened a panel that contained a sequence of numbers and a retina scanner for identification.
 
“Lady Ryoko, you need to put you collar on. You know the rules.”
 
“Yeah, yeah, I know. We don't want them to think I'm planning a escape now do we?” Ryoko replied sarcastically as she reached for her neural collar that was lying on top of a side table next to her bed. The cell design was the same as the sick bay back on the Saibankan in that the entire room was equipped with an energy field dampener that neutralized Ryoko's powers. However, since the entrance of the cell was an open space when the stasis field was powered down, there was always the possibility that a prisoner with special powers could try and make a break for it so before any guard or prison official could power down the electro field, every prisoner must wear their neural collar before anyone can enter or leave.
 
When Ryoko clipped on her collar, a slight static shock touched the back of her neck, making the back of her hair curl up momentarily. Every collar contained a miniature nano-fusion battery that enabled the collar to neutralize a super powered criminal; in Ryoko's case, the Jurai military created a duo-battery powered collar knowing that the pirate's powers could level the entire city if she wanted to. The constant static shock and low hum of the batteries were clearly irritating her.
 
“Say Lucas, just out of curiosity, what would happen if I did decide to make a break for it? Suppose I decided it was time to split?” Ryoko asked her reluctant captor.
 
“Well, should you get out of your cell and get past me, the hidden surveillance cameras and sensors would reveal your location to the central monitoring station that's located a few levels up and most likely a squadron of Jurai's most elite paratroopers, in your case probably two, will be waiting for you before you get out of the elevator.”
 
Lucas wasn't sure if Ryoko asked that question out of curiosity or because she was actually considering it. Like most people on Jurai, the young soldier had heard only the wild stories about the legendary pirate and her escapades. When he arrived on Earth to capture her, he had reservations, but after spending time with her, Tenchi and Royal Family, he knew that most of the stories about her were taken out of context so after hearing the question, he had hoped that she wasn't planning anything foolish.
 
“Lady Ryoko, for your sake, I hope that you're not planning anything foolish. I do have great respect for you and while my main duty is to protect you from any would-be assassin, I cannot allow you to escape…”
 
“I know that Lucas, I was just making conversation, that's all,” Ryoko answered as she batted a playful wink at her would-be protector, “Besides, I can't do much with this damn thing around my neck.”
 
“You're fortunate that Krieg is even allowing you to move about your cell without it. Had he felt that this room couldn't contain your powers, you'd be wearing it permanently.”
 
“Yeah, you're probably right Lucas. It's just that I hate feeling confined like this and with Tenchi not being here, I'm feeling a bit antsy,” Ryoko sighed as she paced about in her cell, her arms folded as if she felt a chill up her spine. As promised, Lucas had stayed with Ryoko all night as Tenchi reluctantly left his love and returned to the palace to check on everyone else. Both of them promised each other that they would both try to get some rest before today's media circus would resume. Ryoko had very little rest, given the constant tossing and turning, dreading that her arraignment was going to be very one-sided. Knowing Tenchi, she figured that he would probably be in the same condition as well.
 
As Ryoko put on the collar, Lucas placed his right eye directly in front of the scanning device and instantly the field gave a quick zapping sound and disappeared. As Ryoko was returning to her bed, she heard a clicking sound from behind her neck. She sat down as Lucas brought her breakfast and explained to her that the collar was linked to the cell. If the electro field was deactivated, the collar automatically turned on and the reverse when the field was reactivated. The constable had initially considered that Ryoko would wear the neural device all the time, but decided that there was enough security to watch over the pirate. She was about to dig into her food when she heard a hissing sound from around the corner and by the scent she immediately recognized who they were.
 
“Tenchi, is that you? Is Sasami there too?”
 
“Yep and we brought some goodies for you,” the young prince happily answered as he and Sasami turned the corner and appeared before a thankful Ryoko and Lucas.
 
“Oh Ryoko, you're ok! I was so worried!” Sasami yelled out as she ran to her friend and gave her a big hug. Ryoko returned the embrace as she stroked the little girl's hair and planted a kiss on the top of her head.
 
“I missed you too kiddo, but don't worry, they've been treating me good so far.”
 
“That's good to hear otherwise I would have to complain to management about the room service here,” Tenchi joked as he placed a huge brown shopping bag on top of the bed. He waited for Sasami to step back before strolling over and giving Ryoko a gentle, loving kiss.
 
“I really missed you last night…”
 
“And I missed you as well,” Tenchi whispered into Ryoko's ear, feeling the warmth of her body against his.
 
Tenchi was feeling guilty that he had to leave Ryoko for the night, but since the facility was locking down all the prisoners for the day; he had no choice but to be escorted back to the palace. Lucas reassured the prince that he would stand guard and protect the cyan-haired beauty from any would-be assassin or vigilante, but that didn't ease his mind.
 
When he returned to the palace, he was going to see how Ayeka and the others were faring until he bumped into Sasami. The little princess had just finished making an evening snack for her and Ryo-Ohki when she saw Tenchi and explained to him what was happening. Yosho had just issued an order to everyone in the palace that Ayeka was not to be disturbed so Sasami decided not to bother her older sister until after the council session.
 
Tenchi really wanted to check on Ayeka and his grandfather, but figuring that their preparation for tomorrow's meeting was more important, he decided to wait until the morning. It was there that Sasami asked him if he was going to see Ryoko in the morning and he silently nodded. Thoughtfully, he asked the little girl if she wanted to go with him and see Ryoko and Sasami happily answered yes. As the pair wished each other goodnight, Sasami told Tenchi to meet him at the kitchen where she would make a special meal for Ryoko. Tenchi smiled, knowing the gesture would mean a lot to his love.
 
Tenchi snapped out of his short flashback, as he was about to put his lips on her neck. As his right hand reached around Ryoko's slender neckline, he felt the infernal mechanism that was keeping Ryoko from using her powers.
 
“See you still got that thing around your neck. I thought you could take it off once you're inside your cell?”
 
“As long as she remains in her cell and under constant surveillance, Constable Krieg will allow Lady Ryoko to remove her collar, but since the containment field is down she has to wear it my lord.”
 
“It's ok Tenchi. If that what's gonna make them happy, then I'll wear it,” Ryoko answered, as she grabbed Tenchi's hand for reassurance. She feigned a smile for him and Sasami, but Tenchi knew that being in this place was slowing killing her. What he wouldn't do to make this whole incident go away and just go back home to Earth with Ryoko and start a new chapter in their lives. Deep inside his soul, he cursed at the name of Lord Braga, even though the man wasn't directly responsible for Ryoko's predicament, it seemed his very name had placed a curse upon the whole Masaki family.
 
“Say Sasami, where's Ryo-Ohki? I thought you brought her with you?” Ryoko asked while she broke away from Tenchi and walked to the bed, her nose taking in the wonderful aroma that was coming out from the shopping bag.
 
“Ryo-Ohki? Oh, I'm sorry Ryoko, but I was told not to bring her here…”
 
“And pray tell, why not?”
 
“Because the prison officials were afraid that if they allowed your cabbit inside, you would use her to try and escape,” Lucas finished the sentence knowing why Ryo-Ohki wasn't here.
 
“Oh man, you got to be kidding me!” Ryoko yelled out as she slapped her forehead in disbelief, “Tenchi, did you know about this?”
 
“Not until our armed escort picked us up. They weren't going to take us here unless Ryo-Ohki remained behind. I'm sorry Ryoko, but there wasn't much I could do.”
 
“This sucks Tenchi! It really does! How much longer do I have to prove to these assholes that I ain't planning on escaping?!?” Ryoko kept sounding off as she began to pace around the room, making everyone else nervous. “It ain't fair Tenchi, it just ain't fair!”
 
“I know that Ryoko, but remember we're on Jurai now playing by their rules. As long as we remain clam and patient, we'll get over this…”
 
“I've been more than patient Tenchi. More patient than I ever been in my whole life.” Ryoko continued to walk around her cell, her face turning red with anger. As she looked at Tenchi once more, he could see the tears rolling down her face, showing the frustration that she had been trying to hide.
 
“They ain't gonna be satisfied until I'm dead and you know that!” And without warning Ryoko slammed her right hand into the sidewall. The wall was made mostly of concrete and when her fist connected, it left a sizable hole that instantly triggered the security alarms.
 
“Officer Lucas, we have a security alarm triggered at cell block number 823. What seems to be the disturbance?” A voice spoke out through the prison's intercom.
 
Lucas quickly ran out and reactivated the field, leaving everyone inside. Afterwards, he pressed a button on the wall intercom to respond.
 
“Uhm, nothing serious. Th-the prisoner was just overly excited to see the prince, that's all. She's still secured in her cell.”
 
“Hmm, very well. However, if another alarm goes off, we will have to report this to Constable Krieg…”
 
“Understood, Lucas out.” The young Juraian felt perspiration starting to form on the top of his eyebrows so after wiping them off, he immediately turned his attention back to his frustrated prisoner and company.
 
“Lady Ryoko please! If you cause any more problems, Krieg will put you in suspended animation; he was dead serious about that.”
 
“I don't care! Let the fucker try and put me in confinement because he's gonna see how pissed off I really am!”
 
Ryoko's golden eyes were lit up like two fiery orbs. Everyone in the room could feel the anger radiating from her body and despite having the neural collar on, she still had the strength to put a hole in the cell wall. Sensing that she was about to lose control, Tenchi stood in front of her, his hands firmly grasping her shoulders as he tried to calm her down.
 
“Ryoko, I know you've been through a lot, but you have to have faith in all of us. Ayeka just got through the council session and she's still in control, which is a good sign. I'm sure by now grandpa and Ayeka have come up with something to help your case.”
 
Tenchi gently reached up to Ryoko's face, cupping her flushed cheeks. For a few moments, they looked at each other intensely, knowing what each one was feeling. Slowly and carefully Tenchi continued his impassioned plea to his love.
 
“Please darling, you got to hang in there. Please…do it for me.”
 
Ryoko stood there, taken in by Tenchi's soft brown eyes, saw the worry that she had in him. As she turned towards the bed, she saw a worrisome look on Sasami with Lucas standing beside her; also looking scared. With a deep breath, she grabbed Tenchi's hands and lovingly kissed them before she backed off. Her face wasn't as red as before, but she was still crying, her body a bit shaken.
 
“I-I'm sorry my love for worrying you,” Ryoko said, her voice still sounding shaky. “I apologize to you all. It's just I never felt this helpless before and I don't know what to do…”
 
“It's all right Ryoko, we understand how you feel,” Sasami answered as she left Lucas and took Ryoko's right hand. Ryoko couldn't help but smile as she saw that lovable girlish smile that she had grown to love over the last few years.
 
“I know that kiddo. It's good to know that I got friends that are there for me…”
 
“More than friends Ryoko…family.” Tenchi added as he reached out for his lover's other hand.
 
< SNIFF > “I-I think I'm gonna cry again. Can I get a hug?”
 
Without answering, the threesome gathered for a group hug. Lucas stood quiet, admiring the strong bond that was before him. Somehow, he sensed, they were going to get through this.
 
The WAFFY moment didn't last long as footsteps could be heard storming out of the stairways and the elevators as Constable Krieg and a dozen paratroopers formed a firing line right in front of the cell, startling everyone inside.
 
“Constable, what is the meaning of this?” Tenchi demanded to know as he saw the soldiers' weapons aiming for the cell.
 
“There was a alarm coming from this cell so I decided not to take any chances…”
 
“But sir! I responded to the alarm and told central station that nothing was going on,” Lucas added his voice to the conversation, fearing that something like this would happen, “The prisoner got overly excited when she saw the prince…”
 
“Yes, I was told about that, but considering of whom we're dealing with, I'm not about to take any risks.” Krieg answered as he and Ryoko glared at each other. Ryoko was about to say something until Tenchi grabbed her arm, motioning her to keep out of it.
 
“Constable, I'm getting tired of telling you that Ryoko has no intention of escaping. The fact that you have forbidden Ryo-Ohki from coming here to see her mistress should be enough satisfaction to you. Now I strongly suggest that your men stand down, otherwise you're going to have something other than Ryoko to worry about.”
 
Krieg was finding himself in a sticky situation. As per regulations, the Juraian official was doing what he was suppose to do when responding to a potential breakout, but he also knew that the Ryoko's powers was neutralized and even if she wanted to escape, she was no shape to do so. There was also the matter of dealing with Tenchi and the Royal Family; Tenchi gave his word that no one would help Ryoko escape and that she will stand trial to prove her innocence and so far he had done so.
 
Just by glancing at the hole on the wall, Krieg could assume that the pirate might've been excited to see the prince, but considering the angry look on her face, it would be more likely that she lashed out in anger. Based on the damage she did, Krieg may have to find a more powerful neural collar for Ryoko when she goes to court. By all rights, Krieg can forcibly remove Tenchi and Sasami from the prison, but he had no idea what the young man would do, especially since he was not about to take out the Tenchi-ken, nor does he wish to explain his actions to Ayeka if things got out of hand. Reluctantly, the constable caved in.
 
“Lower your weapons and return to your stations. I'll deal with this.”
 
Slowly the soldiers lowered their high-powered photon rifles and marched back through the stairways. Krieg then motioned Lucas to stand back from the wall console as the constable used his retina id to open up the cell.
 
“My lord? Would you please step out of the cell? I would like to have a word with you.”
 
Tenchi hesitated at first, but since the soldiers left, he thought it would be all right. Slowly he walked out as Ryoko and Sasami stayed inside, the little girl tightly gripping her hand with Ryoko's.
 
“My lord, try to understand my position here. Ryoko has been wanted throughout the universe for who knows how long and the fact that she's being detained here means that all Juraian prison protocol must be put into effect; regardless on whether she is innocent or guilty of the crime is of little consequence. I can understand her frustration, as well as yours, but any disturbance that occurs here must be recorded and if I do not act on them, it would be consider a breach of duty.”
 
“I could appreciate the position you're in constable, but I have given you my word and that should be enough…”
 
“Given the present status of the Royal Family my lord, how many people are going to `take your word?” Krieg said with a straight face, but sarcastic tone. “This incident can be overlooked, but should that woman give us any trouble, I will put her in solitary confinement whether Princess Ayeka likes it or not. It is within my right to do so my lord.”
 
Tenchi glowered and mumbled something under his breath that the constable couldn't make out. As much as he wanted to knock the constable unconscious, he knew that the Juraian law official was correct and all he could do was to try and keep Ryoko calm.
 
“All right constable, I see your point. Let me talk to Ryoko. I'm sure there won't be any further mishaps again…”
 
“See that it doesn't. In approximately two and a half hours, an armed squadron will come and escort the prisoner to the Ministry of Justice so that her arraignment can commence. Her defense lawyer will be arriving soon so I suggest that she prepares herself,” Krieg checked his watch for the time before looking back at the quartet, “Lucas, when you have secured the prisoner, please go to the supply master where her belongings are being stored. I'm sure she would prefer a change of clothing before making her debut in court.”
 
“Gee, how thoughtful of you constable.” <Prick… >
 
“Save your gratitude for the Judge Advocate prisoner Ryoko; you're going to need it.”
 
Krieg quickly entered the elevator as he heard Ryoko mumbled something under her breath. No doubt something unflattering. With her collar still on, Lucas deactivated the static field.
 
“Uhm, my lord you can stay inside with Ryoko or outside, but I must keep the field up until I return…”
 
“I'll stay with Ryoko Lucas, but can Sasami go with you. Sasami? You know what to get right?”
 
“Heh, sure thing Tenchi. I'll make sure to get something revealing so that the judge will get distracted.”
 
“Sasami! You're starting to sound a bit hentai. I think you've been hanging around with me too much,” Ryoko laughed, as she couldn't believe what the little girl was suggesting.
 
“Well, it worked on Tenchi didn't it?” Sasami answered as Tenchi's face changed to beet red. “I'll be right back.”
 
As Lucas reactivated the cell and went off with the little princess, the two lovers sat side by side on Ryoko's bed, thinking about what would happen next.
 
“Tenchi? I'm sorry for blowing up like that. I do have faith in you guys, but sometimes I still lose it when I'm angry. I guess I haven't changed at all despite being with you all these years.”
 
As Ryoko's sullen face turned away, Tenchi reached out and pulled her face back to his, pressing his warm lips unto hers. All Ryoko wanted to do that moment was to melt into his arms, forgetting what was happening. Tenchi wrapped his arms around her, wanting to protect her from those who would want to do her harm, but knowing that this was only a brief reprieve. Ryoko positioned her head on Tenchi's chest while he gently began to cradle her. Neither one said a word to each other, just enjoying the warmth of their bodies next to one another; feeling the love they had for each other. If nothing else, it was their love that was going to see them through this ordeal.
 
 
************************************
 
PLANET EARTH…
 
“Washu? Washu?!? Where are you?” Nobuyuki cried out as he made his way into the labyrinth of passageways that made up Washu's lab. Even though he'd been inside on numerous occasions, it always appeared to Tenchi's dad that everything from the equipment, to the walls and even the floor seemed to change with every visit, as if the lab was alive somehow. Reluctantly, he began to tread his way through, carry with him a tray of miso soup, steamed rice, some greens and a kettle of steamed green tea. On his left hand, he was holding a black plastic bag that held something else, making a crackling sound as the black haired man walked along the long corridor. Ever since the rest of the family left Earth, Washu had permanently bunkered down inside her lab, trying to find any clues that would help Ryoko. If the rest of the girls had been here, one of them would at least tried to pull her out when food was being served, but that wasn't going to happen anytime soon.
 
Nobuyuki had kept himself busy by putting in some long hours at work while tending to the house when he arrived back from the office. Feeling powerless at times, he felt that the best remedy for him was to be totally occupied at all times, otherwise the thoughts of Tenchi being away on Jurai, watching Ryoko being put to on trial and the difficulties the others were facing would drive Nobuyuki crazy.
 
“Oh Mr. Masaki! I wasn't aware that you had entered, are you looking for Professor Washu?” The metallic voice of Claybourne resonated throughout the lab as the AI assistant of the scientist greeted the startled Nobuyuki.
 
“Uh, yes…you could say that. Say, why is it when I set foot in this lab, it always looks different?”
 
“Oh, well that's probably because when Professor Washu does a new experiment or invents something, I tend to move things around and since I'm not human, I have no preference as to where the equipment goes since I know where to find them.”
 
“Hmm, well that makes sense I suppose,” Nobuyuki answered, still feeling awkward in having a conversation with a machine, ”so where is the greatest genius in the galaxy?”
 
“Just follow my `eye' and I'll take you straight to her.” Claybourne replied as a round symmetrical ball floated towards Tenchi's dad. It had a red orb for an eye located at its center, which shot out a laser like light that aimed itself towards its human guest. A few seconds later, it spun around and preceded towards its next destination as Nobuyuki timidly follow suit.
 
A few minutes later, Nobuyuki saw a floating red reclining chair hovering above a vast sea of machinery that seemed to encompass the whole lab. The blinking lights and sound that each device gave out gave the impression that one could be in the downtown district of Tokyo with its bright neon lights and the noise of the crowd.
 
The floating chair seemed to be suspended in the air with no movement whatsoever. Nobuyuki couldn't tell whether the red-haired scientist was asleep or deep in thought. As he got closer, Claybourne startled him with an announcement…
 
“Washu, you got company! Mr. Masaki has brought you something to eat!” Yelled out the AI, sounding like Washu might have dozed off.
 
“Huh?!? Oh thanks Claybourne and would you be a dear and bring up the schematics of the dark talon? I want to verify something.”
 
“Yes ma'am, coming right up,” And with that, the various screens throughout the lab began to display pictures and drawings of the destroyed ship that tangled with Yagami and Ken-Ohki.
 
“You okay Washu? You seemed pretty drawn into your work. I'll just leave lunch here and let you continue with your research…”
 
“Nonsense Nobuyki, I could use a break actually,” the diminutive scientist replied as she leaned back on her floating chair and stretched out her arms and back, causing some of her bones to crack.
 
“Mmmm…that's smells good. Thanks for bringing it to me…”
 
“Might as well considering you tend to spend hours at a time down here without taking a break. You may want to relax for a awhile Washu.” Tenchi's dad suggested.
 
“No can do Masaki! Until this crisis with Ryoko is over and the one responsible is caught, I'm not resting! Her arraignment should be coming up soon and every second we waste here could mean her freedom and her life.”
 
Nobuyuki saw the determined look in Washu's face as she picked up a spoon and began to sip her soup. In the few years that he had known her, the little redhead would have a playful, impish expression that rarely revealed a serious side to her even in times of trouble, however due to the present situation, Washu was neither laughing nor playing around, not with so much on the line.
 
“Hmm, what's in the bag Nobe?” Washu asked, her eyes darting at the black bag.
 
“This? Figure later you may want something to take the edge off your nerves. Being tense all the time isn't good for your health; as a scientist you should know better.” Nobuyuki replied as he opened up the wrinkled bag and pulled out a long white bottle of sake that he purchased on the way home. Carefully he pulled two small drinking glasses and poured some in.
 
“Thanks Nobuyuki, you're a good man,” thanked the redheaded genius as Tenchi's dad passed a glass up to Washu's floating chair; his face slightly blushed by her compliment.
 
“Uhm, you're welcome…so Washu, got any leads so far?”
 
“Well, to date I have determined that the image of Ryoko on Xeria was a holographic projection and based on the reflection and size of it, I can state that it was probably a woman who killed Braga, but with this lousy data copy I can't tell much more.”
 
“And I guess that means the evidence would be considered circumstantial?”
 
“Under Jurai law that data wouldn't hold up a glass of water, much less getting Ryoko off the hook. They can always claim that it was a glitch in the security video. However…”
 
“However what Washu? Found something on the screen?” Nobuyuki asked curiously, not being sure what the little genius was getting at.
 
“However my dear Nobuyuki, I'm betting that whoever was the killer; either she or her accomplices might have left some DNA residue at the murder scene…”
 
“That's a mighty big assumption Washu. Even if you're right, it's been a few weeks since the incident so wouldn't that DNA fade away in time?”
 
Washu paused for a moment as one her view screens began to flash a soft white light, indicating that Claybourne has found out some new info. She adjusted herself on her floating chair before turning her attention back to Tenchi's dad.
 
“Under normal circumstances you'd be right, but I still believe that the Juraian military and GP task force that took part of the investigation sealed off the room. It's possible that if undisturbed, the DNA from Braga and his killers are still there.”
 
“Well, that a mighty big `if' Miss Washu. I just hope you're right on this one…”
 
“Nothing is certain Nobuyuki, until the all facts are presented and I'm pretty sure the task force only took what they needed so they hang their case on Ryoko, but unfortunately we're the ones who have to show the burden of proof that it wasn't her on Xeria.”
 
Nobuyuki dejectedly sighed as he heard the scientist's last remark. His mind was starting to cast a cloud of doom over the prospects of Ryoko's innocence.
 
“I'm starting to think this is becoming to be hopeless Washu. It looks like the cards are really stacked against us…OOWWWW!!!!”
 
A large pale colored lump suddenly appeared on the top of the head of the hurting and surprised Nobuyuki with an angry Washu standing behind him, gripped with a small mallet on her right hand.
 
“If you want to start acting like a pessimist, do it at your own time! I refuse to give up on Ryoko and you know damn well your son won't either! Really Nobuyuki, I'm disappointed in you for saying that.”
 
“I-I'm sorry Washu. I should know better than to doubt your words. It's just that we've been through so much in the last few years and…”
 
“Hold that thought for a minute would you?” Washu interrupted the elder Masaki as she focus her thoughts again on the flashing view screen.” What ya got for me Clay?”
 
Telemetry readings from one of the GP security satellites circling Xeria during the time of the assassination,” Claybourne replied as the voice of the AI resonated throughout the lab. “According to the surveillance video I hacked into, there was a strange abnormality in the northern polar region of the planet. Now to the naked eye and normal visual sensors, there's nothing going on, but if you look very carefully at the center of your screen, in particular the movement of the star patterns…”
 
Washu stared intensely at the screen, trying to ascertain what the AI was getting at. As she looked closer, she noticed that the stars would look warped for a brief second before returning to their original shapes.
 
“Hmm, interesting. Only two things in the universe could make the stars looked warped. One would be a black hole, but at that close proximity, the planet would've been sucked in.”
 
“And the other?”
 
A cloaked ship in which it was using its warp drive to create the necessary energy field to hide itself from the security satellites.” Claybourne added to Washu's theory.
 
“Correct Clay. Y'see Nobuyuki, since we saw that Ryoko imposter transported just after Braga's vessel exploded, the ship would have to be cloaked in order to remain undetected in orbit until the time came for them to eliminate the Juraian ship and high tail it out of there.”
 
And of course when we say the stars looked warped, it's just really the energy field reflecting back whatever light is being hit with. A simple matter of the theory of astrophysics.”
 
“A simple matter?” Nobuyuki muttered in confusion, “I have absolutely no clue what you two were talking about, but I'll just take your word for it.”
 
“heh-heh, don't worry Nobe, this type of science ain't for everyone,” Washu chuckled back as merrily glanced through her aerial console.” Ok Claybourne, let's play `connect the dots' and see what's behind cloaked curtain number one.”
 
All eyes focused their attention on the screen as the AI began to produce a 3D image from the video. After several minutes, a familiar form filled out the center.
 
“Hmm, I shouldn't be too surprised…”
 
I calculated at 10 to 1 odds that was the ship in question…”
 
“Well I'll be…isn't that the ship that attacked Kiyone and Mihoshi?” Nobuyuki asked as the image of the Black Talon appeared on the screen, “I guess they must've headed for Xeria after they kidnapped Ryoko and Ryo-Ohki.”
 
“I'll stake my reputation as the greatest genius in the universe that that was the case.”
 
”Gee…that's a real stretch…”
 
“What was that Claybourne!?!”
 
Nothing! Just making a mental note of the situation Professor Washu.”
 
Washu glared at the floating eye, knowing that the AI had said an off-sided remark, but decided to let it slide and pursue more urgent matters.
 
“Well, given the facts we have so far, I think it's safe to bet that any further answers will be found on Xeria. Claybourne, open a secured channel to Yagami and transfer all data to Kiyone. She's going to need to know what to look for.”
 
I will proceed at once, but professor, given the slight possibility that the DNA evidence may have been tainted, shouldn't we come up with a contingency plan?”
 
“Already ahead of you my devoted AI. After we're done with Kiyone, patch me through Jurai and get Azaka and Lord Yosho on the line. We may have to do a little grave digging…”
 
“Grave digging?!?”
 
“Heh, wait and see guys, just wait and see.”
 
“That's what I'm afraid of.” Nobuyuki sighed heavily as he saw the big smirk on the scientist's face; an expression that showed she was looking forward to the next phase of her investigation. Something of which neither the elder Masaki nor the AI was certain if that was a good thing.
 
**************************************
 
 
 
PLANET JURAI…
 
“How do I look Tenchi?”
 
“Stop worrying about your appearance Ryoko, you look fine,” Tenchi reassured his nervous lover as they proceeded through the Juraian capital inside the armored hovercraft that was taking them to the Ministry of Justice for the pirate's arraignment.
 
“I can't help it Tenchi. It's bad enough everyone in the galaxy thinks I'm a murderer so the least I could do is not look the part.”
 
“I understand where you're coming from honey, but you could come dressing as a Jurai princess and that still won't make a difference. We can only hope that Ayeka and grandpa can keep the council at bay until we can get some proof on the real killer.”
 
Tenchi held Ryoko's hand tightly, trying to lift her spirits, their movements being watched by two armed prison guards. On the outside, four sky cycles and two heavy personnel carriers surrounded the moving armored cage. Krieg took the lead carrier, making sure nothing happened on the way.
 
Ryoko spent a least an hour with Sasami figuring out what outfit to wear. Sasami assumed the cyan-haired girl would want to show off with her red and white outfit with the plunging cleavage look, however Ryoko didn't feel the need to draw further attention to herself so after agonizing over several choices, she settled for a more formal look. The dress was maroon and gray with a closed white collar with a small black bowtie. The hemline of the dress reached down to just below her knees with a matching maroon obi tied around her waist. Despite her reservations, Sasami assured the pirate that she looked great. After applying a light touch of makeup to soften out her facial features, Tenchi informed the constable that they were ready to leave.
 
Due to the nature of the crime, Krieg informed Sasami that she couldn't accompany Tenchi and Ryoko to the arraignment, stating that this was a closed hearing and being that everyone was on high alert, he did not want to jeopardize the princess' safety. Reluctantly, the little princess allowed herself to be escorted back to the palace by two knights of the Second Order just before the armored caravan left to the Jurai Hall of Justice.
 
After the long drive, the vehicle came to an abrupt stop. One platoon of soldiers immediately surrounded the armor craft while another stationed themselves along several stationed barricades, preventing anyone from the public or the media to interfere.
 
Slowly, Tenchi and Ryoko stepped out from the vehicle, their eyes squinting from the bright Jurai sun. With Kreig in front, they proceeded to follow him towards the entrance of the ancient Hall of Justice. Tenchi looked up and was in awe of the sight of the building, which was as old as the history of Jurai itself.
 
The main structure looked to be a carved out of marble and granite, shaped almost like an airplane hanger, but its height reaching to almost 20 stories. Protruding from the center of the roof was one of the ancient trees of Jurai, with its immense trunk and lush, leafy branches stretching further up into the sky and across the width of the building. From both ends of the courthouse, two large and old statues stood guard; they were the Juraian goddesses of truth and justice, Verita and Seigi.
 
As they entered and dark colored wooden doorways, Tenchi could see the faded inscription on top. While his knowledge in Juraian was still in the novice class, he understood enough that it told the story about how Tsunami had chosen these two lesser goddesses to carry out law and order while she created the universe in her image. Verita's statue appeared to be the nurturing type as small statuettes of animals, flowers and children laid upon her feet. Her dress and facial features giving an impression of a loving Greek mother.
 
Seigi on the other hand, was wearing a warrior's garb, with a medieval sword on her left hand, a shield of her right and a helmet that looked to be from one of those old samurai pictures. It gave the impression to Tenchi that while the goddesses appeared to be polar opposites, their cause was the same.
 
As the couple crossed through the doorway, a small, balding, slender man dressed in a formal Juraian garb quickly walked over to Krieg, smiling nervously; his eyes darting back and forth from Krieg, to Ryoko, to finally Tenchi. After several moments, both the constable and the little man walked over to make his introduction.
 
“My lord…Ryoko…This is Prefect Chokan. He will be your representative at your trial.”
 
Chokan, Ryoko and Tenchi politely bowed and followed Krieg further into the courthouse until they settled by a door that led them into a sparse waiting area. With only one table and a few chairs, everyone sat down to begin their conversation.
 
“Well mister Chokan, I hope you can help us get out of this predicament…”
 
“Uhm, yes my lord. I will try to uphold my part to serve the defendant well,” Chokan answered nervously, his face displaying a look of disdain whenever he looked at Ryoko. “Given the history of the defendant and the seriousness of the crime, I will try to persuade the court magistrate to hand down a much lighter sentence…”
 
“Whoa, wait a minute! What do you mean a lighter sentence?” Ryoko jumped in, not sounding pleased in what her defense lawyer had to say. “You sound like you're not convinced I can win this…”
 
“Well Miss Ryoko, after going through all the evidence plus the statements from the eyewitnesses that saw you at the crime scene; in all honestly I don't think you can win. Considering the evidence that will be shown, plus your whereabouts without any alibi and your infamous past; not to mention political tension that has gripped the Holy Council over this case I see in no way of you walking out of here not guilty. The government will go through extreme measures that you are found guilty and be executed for the murder of Lord Braga.”
 
“Excuse me, but what kind of defense counsel are you?” Tenchi yelled out, his eyes displaying a gaze of astonishment to what he had just heard, “Mr. Chokan, are you just trying to help the Holy Council speed things along and just have Ryoko accept whatever punishment they will give her?”
 
“For all intended purposes my lord, the verdict has been decided; it's just a question of what form of punishment they will hand out and at the present, they will do their best to say that Miss Ryoko should be put to death.”
 
“Oh, this is bullshit Tenchi! This guy here is just another lapdog for the Holy Council. They're gonna railroad me into the death chamber without a second thought,” Ryoko cried out, her face turning a deep crimson red from all the anger that's swelling up inside her. “Even with Ayeka here, they're gonna fuck me over!”
 
“Calm yourself prisoner Ryoko or I may have to call in some the guards to control you,” Krieg demanded as he pulled put a radio device. “Prefect Chokan was selected from the Council to assist you and I must state that he was one of the few who actually volunteered. The rest either refused or left the planet.”
 
“If he's the best they got, then I have a better chance with Ryo-Ohki as my defense lawyer!”
 
“Constable, is there someone else we can have to represent us?”
 
“Sorry my lord, but I was the last chosen my the defense pool of attorneys. No one else is available or willing to offer their expertise,” Chokan replied, looking annoyed that Tenchi and Ryoko wanted someone to be their lawyer.
 
“Then perhaps someone from the outside should represent the defendant…”
 
“Who said that? How dare they…Lord Yosho?!?”
 
Krieg stood frozen and did the rest of the group as they saw Yosho standing by the room entrance, listening in on their conversation. Behind him was Kamidake, looking amused at the shocked faces of the lawman and the lawyer.
 
“I was not told that you'd be present for the arraignment my lord.”
 
“Really? I didn't know that I needed to make my whereabouts known to you Constable,” Yosho replied as he strolled in and observed the defense attorney. “I take it that you're here to advise the defendant to make a plea bargain Prefect Chokan? Something that would sway the tribunal into making a more lenient judgment?”
 
“Well yes my Prince. I see no other recourse so I believe the defendant's best option is to throw herself at the mercy of the court and perhaps they will commune her sentence to something more humane, such as a life sentence.”
 
Yosho shook his head in disappointment. He suspected that the council would send someone to help them wrap things up quickly, but everyone seemed so sure that Ryoko was guilty that no one's even bothering to hide it. Slowly he walked towards the section of the room where Tenchi and Ryoko were sitting, smiling slightly as he reached the pirate. He gently placed his hand on the pirate's cheek, his warmth seemingly calming her nerves. Steadily, he asked her an important question…
 
“Ryoko, the Jurai legal system says you're guilty for a hideous crime. When you walk into the pre-trial room for your arraignment, they will ask the defense what is your plead. So child, what will be your answer?”
 
Ryoko stood up and whatever wavering, she gave a strong, firm answer…
 
“I will tell them that I am not guilty. I did not kill Lord Braga and I will go down fighting if need be.”
 
“Well then, it's settled. Prefect Chokan, being that your client is pleading her innocence and you seem to strongly disagree with that, I suggest you excuse yourself from this case and let someone else represent her.”
 
Chokan was both shocked and confused. He was given strict orders to be cooperative with the prosecution and to persuade the infamous pirate to accept her fate, but instead the one force in all of Jurai, save the Princess Ayeka was telling him to bow out. The prefect thought about protesting, but he remembered that it was Yosho who helped write out almost half of the laws of Jurai centuries ago so any argument on his part would be futile since the old prince could counter his tactics.
 
“My lord. With all due respect, who would want to represent the accused?”
 
“Easy. I will…”
 
“WHAT?!?”
 
“Grandpa?!?”
 
“My Lord?”
 
“Yosho? Really…you would do that for me?” Ryoko asked, her voice starting to crack with emotion.
 
“Yes Ryoko I will. Even if I had my doubts about you, I would do so only to protect the integrity of the laws of Jurai. The Holy Council is attempting to make this a public hanging and I simply refuse to let that happen.”
 
“Gee, Gramps. I don't know what to say,” Tenchi spoke as he got up and looked at his grandfather with love and admiration. “I'm really happy that you believe in Ryoko.”
 
“Tenchi, if you truly believe in Ryoko's innocence, then I can do no less.”
 
Krieg was beside himself while Chokan was practically speechless. The Constable excused himself and quickly left the room to check on the start of the arraignment. The Prefect gathered his paperwork and politely bowed to Yosho and the rest.
 
“Uhm, Very well. Prince Yosho…Prince Tenchi…Miss Ryoko, I will abide by your wishes and report the change of counsel to the tribunal. While I have my doubts about your innocence Ryoko, I still hope that you're treated well by our judicial system.”
 
Ryoko smiled, acknowledging the little man's words. Afterwards, the three Masaki family members discussed Ryoko's options.
 
“So gramps, what do we do now?”
 
“For today my grandson, Ryoko will just simply state that she is not guilty and the judge advocate will set the court date. From there, we shall try to gather whatever evidence for our side and dispel whatever the prosecution can come up with.”
 
“But Yosho, do you really think I have a chance in hell in beating this rap?”
 
“All things are possible Ryoko,” Yosho warmly replied as he placed his hand on the cyan-haired beauty's shoulders. “It's just a matter in believing in yourself and in the rest of us.”
 
“Just a matter of having faith right Grandpa?”
 
“Exactly Tenchi.”
 
*************************************
 
“From the Interstellar News Channel, located in the heart of the Galactic Union, we take you now live to the capital of the planet Jurai with some late breaking news. On the scene is INC reporter Roan Darke. Roan, what can you tell us?”
 
 
“Just minutes ago at the Hall of Justice here at the capital of Jurai, the elected Magistrate of the Juraian Empire has just adjourned and from what the initial reports are coming out it looks to be that the notorious space pirate Ryoko has pleaded not guilty to the grisly murder of the former Minister of Finance, Lord Braga. And in a stunning turn of events, it appears that Lord Yosho himself, the former ruler of Jurai has volunteered to be the defense counsel of the accused. So far, no official word from the Holy Council, Princess Ayeka or the rest of the Royal Family.”
 
“Roan, any word on when the trial will take place?”
 
“Xandu, no exact date of when the trial will begin, but sources have told us the Holy Council will push for one within 48 to 72 hours. When it does, you can expect the case of The People v. Ryoko will dominate the spacewaves. Stay tuned... ”
 
 
 
TO BE CONTINUED…
 
***************************************
 
 
A/N: Let me thank Geor-sama and Luke Strange for proofreading this chapter. It's been so long that I don't trust my writing. Good to have backups when available.
 
Wow, I can't believe I didn't update this for almost a year. In all honestly I was at the verge of calling it quits. Not that I stopped taking an interest in Tenchi, but so many things have happened in 2004 that my writing took a long hiatus. However, whether be fate or dumb luck, quite a few readers emailed me since New Year's expressing their interest in this fic and my other “Second Time Around” and it's because of that I'll make an effort to finish both stories. It's really nice to know that people out there still have an interest in the Tenchi characters and my fics in particular so to you new readers, welcome and to the old ones still out there, glad you stuck around.
 
Alighthawk
 
 
As always, your reviews are appreciated. If you want a more elaborate explanation, you can email me at a.falc@verizon.net