Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ The Trial ❯ “Searching for Answers” ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*Disclaimer: The main characters in this story are property of AIC, Pioneer, & Viz Comics. All the other characters were created by me, so any similarities are just dumb luck so please don't sue me.

** Author's notes: This story takes place about a year after "Tenchi Forever" in which it follows the "Tenchi Universe" storyline, though some names and places from the OAV and manga might appear. C & C is welcomed, but remember, this is my first fanfic, so easy on the flame throwing!

The Trial: by alighthawk

Chapter Five - "Searching for Answers"

"How's she doing Washu? Any changes?" A concerned Tenchi Masaki asked as he watched the redheaded scientist examined the still unconscious Ryoko from his bed. As she tried to determine the extent of her injuries, Sasami was cleaning her face and arms with a large sponge, soap and a bowl of warm water. Though she didn't show it, the little princess was bravely trying to keep herself from crying as she cleaned off the dry blood that formed around Ryoko's mouth, ears and nose.

"It's been two hours Washu, is she ever going to wake up?" Sasami sadly asked as she got up to go to the bathroom and change the blood-red water to a fresh one.

"It's hard to say. The pills I gave her will help her rejuvenate her healing powers, but I can't predict when she'll wake up. It may be hours or even days, but I will say that she's out of danger for now."

Tenchi sighed in relief when he heard Washu's prognosis. He still couldn't get the horrible image out of his mind as he recalled how Ryoko had flown up into the energy field that the Juraian battle cruiser had put up around the house. When the cyan-haired girl made contact with it, the energy feedback nearly killed her. It was bad enough that he was an emotional wreck from waiting and worrying so much after their big fight, but to now see her like this was killing him. "Can she hear anything Washu?"

"Honestly I don't know, but if you want to say something to her, give it shot. Right now I did all I could. So now the rest is up to her.

Now if you excuse me, I have some data to process from Ryo-oki."

"Washu, how can you be so flippant at a time like this? The Jurai government is here to take Ryoko back to be tried for murder and she's lying here in a coma-like state and you want to do some research?"

"Tenchi listen to me. Just before these bozos showed up, I was trying to access Ryoko's memory of what happened to her this past week. If I can analyze the data from her and Ryo-oki's memory, I might be able to determine if this has anything to do with the murder of Lord Braga. However, this will require some time so that's means that I won't be able to go Jurai with the rest of you."

"But Washu, we need you. Ryoko needs you; who's going to watch her condition if you're still here on Earth?" Tenchi asked with a sullen tone as Sasami returned with the fresh water, accompanied by Ryo-oki.

"Look Tenchi, we all know that Ryoko didn't do this, but unless we can gather some clues and facts about the situation, she's going be tried as a murderer. In the Jurai legal system, their code of punishment isn't a pleasant experience. I think I'll be more useful by staying here in my lab and come up with some solutions. Besides, Kiyone and Mihoshi will be coming back soon and someone is going to have to fill them in on what's been happening…"

"I guess you're right Washu, it's just I feel so helpless right now…"

"Tenchi, the best thing you can do for Ryoko right now is to be sure that you're there with her when she wakes up because I know that when she's opens her eyes, she's liable to do something foolish when she's finds out why they're after her…"

"Don't worry about that, I don't plan to leave her side until we get to the bottom of this!" Tenchi vowed as he reached for the unconscious cyan girl's hand and firmly held it tight.

"Now if you both excuse me, Ryo-oki and I have some research to do. Come on little one, let's try to help out Ryoko shall we?"

"MIYA-MIYA_MIYA" (Lead the way Washu, I'm right behind you!) and with that, the pair left to the scientist's lab.

Sasami had just finished cleaning up Ryoko when she saw the sad look in Tenchi's eyes. Just by seeing the way he looked over the space pirate, the way he held her hand and caressed her left cheek with his other hand, the blue-haired girl knew.

"Tenchi, you're very much in love with Ryoko aren't you?"

Tenchi's head popped up with amazement when he heard the little Juraian's observation. He initially was going to deny it like he always did but, as he kept staring at his heart's desire; still peacefully asleep for who knew how long, he didn't want to hide his feelings anymore.

"Yes Sasami, I do. I don't how, but somewhere along the way I fell in love with Ryoko. Right now I can't see myself being without her at all. Does that sound selfish?"

"Not at all Tenchi. Does she know?"

"I haven't told her yet and that what's killing me. I so badly wanted to tell her after the party, but you saw what happened. She got so angry and left the Earth before I could smooth things over and now this. It's like the gods are conspiring against us!" Tenchi sighed.

Sasami decided to perk up the young man as she saw the pain that was in his eyes, "Cheer up Tenchi, once this mess is over, I'm sure you'll tell her how you feel and she'll be so happy when you do, heh-heh."

"I hope so Sasami because I could use some good news right now. Uh, Sasami, please don't tell Ayeka yet. I think I should tell her myself when the time comes, but that may be a while."

"No problem. I just hope Ayeka takes it well."

"You and me both. Don't get me wrong, I love your sister and all you girls as well, but it's just that when I'm with Ryoko I feel this special connection with her. I feel…complete. Does this make any sense to you?"

Sasami started giggling, "Yeah, a little. Your father once told me that when you're in love, you sometimes don't question your feelings, you just go with the flow. Now that makes sense to me."

"Hmm…I have to ask Dad that one when he gets home."

"Well, if you don't need me, I'm going downstairs and start packing some food for the trip to Jurai…"

"Sasami, don't they have food on these ships?"

"Yeah, but have you ever tasted the food on a military ship? It's absolutely awful, so I'm making us some for the long haul. I'll leave you two alone now, get some rest Tenchi." Sasami advised the young prince as she stepped out into the hallway.

Tenchi grabbed his study chair as he sat next to the sleeping Ryoko. He couldn't help but marveled how peaceful and beautiful she looked as she slept. He wanted her so badly to wake up so he could finally tell her how much he loved her…to relieve the burden of guilt he had been carrying on his back since she had left.

"I don't know if you can hear me Ryoko, but I'm so sorry that things are turning out the way they are. If it wasn't for my stupidity that day, you wouldn't have taken off to space and none of this would have happened. Please wake up soon Ryoko, cause I have so many things to say to you…that I love you and I just want to spend all my days and nights with you and you only." He then leaned towards her as he took her hand once more and kissed her softly on the lips. It wasn't a true kiss he thought to himself, but maybe somehow, it'll let her know that he was there with her.

**************************************

Downstairs at the living room, three members of the Juraian Royal Court sat down by the sofa with heavy hearts. They have spent the last couple hours discussing the events that have just transpired and the actions that the Ministry of Justice would be taking to ensure that the alleged murderer of Lord Braga would be severely punished.

"There has to be something we can do for Ryoko. She may be a rival to me, but I cannot sit here and believe all this rubbish about her committing a serious crime like murdering Lord Braga." Princess Ayeka said in total disbelief as Yosho and herself listened intently to what Azaka had been revealing to them. They were careful not to reveal any plans since the Juraian soldier Lucas was standing in attention by the stairs. His orders were to watch the princesses and escort them if they decide to go elsewhere, but everyone in the room knew that their conversation would be reported back to the Captain of the Saibankan, who had received his orders from the Holy Council of Jurai.

Sasami came down the stairs as the three elder Juraians continued their conversation when Yosho spotted the little blue-haired girl. He motioned for her to come over beside him and whispered something in her right ear. The little princess giggled as she winked to Yosho. He smiled back knowing that Sasami would be assisting in distracting their unwelcome guest.

"Excuse me? It's Lucas is it?" Sasami inquired as she stood in front of the soldier as he bowed his head to acknowledge her. "I need to go the market and buy some supplies for the trip back to Jurai. Can you come with me, because those bags tend to be heavy and everyone else here is busy…"

"Uh, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to leave the premises. I would need to contact the captain and…"

"Soldier, didn't your orders specifically said that you are to escort the Princesses Ayeka and Sasami at all times?" Azaka questioned the young Juraian as he joined in on the plot.

"Yes sir, it did but…"

"Well, Princess Ayeka will be here when you get back with her younger sister. I would hate to tell your captain that you left one of them unattended while just standing here. It wouldn't look good on your record, would it now?"

"U…uh of course not, my apologizes sir, I meant no offense! I will escort the princess to her destination and bring her back safely."

The soldier stammered as he bowed to the group of three and allowed Sasami to take his hand and lead them to the doorway.

"We won't be long sis, but you'll check on Ryoko later will you?"

Ayeka could hardly contain her laughter as she witnessed the near flawless executed plan of getting the soldier out of the house. "Of course Sasami, now go run along and don't get into any trouble with Lucas all right?"

"Don't worry about us, we'll be back soon enough." The young princess impishly smiled as she dragged Lucas out the door.

"Well, now that our little spy is gone for a while, let's talk about our options shall we?" Declared Yosho as all three regained their serious composure and concentrated at the crisis at hand.

Ayeka spoke first, "Azaka, what can you tell about this evidence against Ryoko?"

"Essentially your highness, the Galaxy Police's security surveillance network that monitors the activities of the populace of the planet Xeria recorded the area where Lord Braga and his escort were murdered one week ago. Here, allow me to show you." Azaka pulled out a tan colored knapsack, which contained several items. One was a flat circular device with a small slot on its side. He placed the device on top of the living room table and activated it. He then revealed a small disc and inserted it into the device and a holographic image rose above the table, showing exactly what the security cameras saw that night. The knight then began to describe the particulars of this disc.

"According to the surveillance report, a suspicious individual entered the tavern at approximately fifteen minutes after midnight, Xerian time. This was about fifteen minutes after Lord Braga had entered the establishment in which he made contact with some second rate space pirate called Yataka. Twenty minutes later, the Royal Juraian Transport Yahwa was under attack and immediately destroyed above the northern region of the planet; speculation is that the ship might have been Ryo-oki, but no visual confirmation has been reported."

"But how can they assume that it was Ryo-oki if they didn't see who fired upon the transport?" Asked Ayeka.

"That's because your highness, they concluded their theory based on this…" Azaka pointed to the hologram once more and as the populace raced outside to witness the ship's explosion from high above the atmosphere, two shadowy figures leisurely walked out of the tavern, also watching the lightshow. As the people made their way back indoors, the camera zoomed its way towards the tavern as it noticed that the patrons reversed their direction and walked elsewhere. As the camera continued to focus on the mysterious pair, one of then raised their head up towards the camera and looked directly at it. Sounds of gasps and disbelief suddenly filled the room when the face of the alleged murderer appeared.

"No! It can't be! It can't be her!" Ayeka kept repeating in total shock of what she saw.

"Unfortunately it's true." Azaka said in a low tone of voice as the image of Ryoko appeared to all three of them. "This is what the network had recorded and shortly afterwards a transport beam appeared and they disappeared; again the speculation is that it might have been Ryo-oki, but the ship entered hyperspace before the network could record anything."

"Azaka, what did they find in the tavern? Did anyone actually saw Ryoko kill Braga?" Yosho inquired.

"As far as witnesses my Lord, several individuals claimed to have spotted Lord Braga, his escort and Yataka entering a back room where the murder took place. Fifteen minutes later, a cloaked figure also entered the room. No one for sure could say what the person looked like, but from the manner the individual was standing and walking, they knew that it was a woman." Azaka then paused as he pressed a button on the device and more images appeared, some of which were so graphic and horrible, Princess Ayeka could barely look without feeling the urge to throw up.

"As you can see from the images, the first one to die was the escort. His name was Kenji Autamon. It was estimated that a weapon was fired from the doorway and struck the young escort on the head. He had no chance to even pull out his weapon, which was led to believe that the killer took them by surprise…"

"And which probably meant that Lord Braga was set up." Added Yosho.

"That's an assumption that the Galaxy Police believes, but the Holy Council wishes to hold off that possibility until more information is revealed." Azaka replied, "As far as Lord Braga's demise, it appeared that he might have been sitting when he was hit or possibly was forced upon the floor, since the chair next to him was broken. If he did died on the floor, it would also explain his left hand being broken, but the report hasn't stated whether it happened due to the fall or done by one of the killers. As far as the cause of death, the same energy weapon was fired at him at point blank range. Neither men had a chance whatsoever."

Yosho studied the images in great detail. His face gave no indication of what he believed to be true or false. After several minutes of total silence, he spoke with great concern. "There seems to be a lot of conflicting facts with this investigation, however the security cameras capturing the image of Ryoko is very damaging. Unless we can prove that the person at the tavern wasn't her and find out exactly where she was at the night of the murder, the Justice Ministry will swiftly come down on her and order her execution."

Ayeka was already upset after seeing those mutilated bodies on the holographic display. The thought that her friend and rival could be involved was too much to bear. She stood up and with her lips trembling, she asked Yosho her most dreaded question, "Yosho, do you believe that Ryoko can be proven innocent?"

"To be honest, I do not know. The killing of a Jurai official is a capital offense and usually any accused person is dealt with rather harshly. To make matters worse is that Ryoko was a wanted criminal with a long record and the Ministry of Justice would take that into account despite the fact that she had helped us to defeat Kagato."

"There's another issue to deal with as well." Azaka added.

"What other issue can be more important that this?" Ayeka nervously asked.

"As the first crowned princess, you are the head of all the Jurai ministries, including the Ministry of Justice. While the tribunal will decide whether Ryoko is innocent or guilty, you have the final decision on whether her sentence will be death or a lesser sentence."

"This is good news then, I can simply order the Ministry to have her sentence communed to life or some other penalty." Ayeka surmised.

Yosho wasn't as optimistic though, "It's not that clear cut and dry Ayeka. Should Ryoko be convicted of murder, the majority of the people will want an execution. If you decide to lighten her sentence without provocation or the simple fact that she's your friend, certain sectors of the government could demand for your removal as successor to the crown. In short, we could have civil unrest among our people, which could lead to a civil war on Jurai."

The purple-haired princess drew a blank stare as the old priest continued to recite every possible scenario that could occur when Ryoko and the others reached Jurai. "Most certainly the politicians and military officers will be pressuring you to accept the verdict of the tribunal and allow the execution to take place. You will have to tread very carefully Ayeka, a lot more is at stake here other than proving Ryoko's innocence."

Ayeka stood there trembling. Most of her time as first princess to the crown, decisions were usually made by her cabinet ministry, which allowed her to stay her on Earth with Tenchi and the rest of her 'family', but now she would be forced to choose a path that could lead to the death of her friend or civil war on her home world. All of the sudden, the weight of ruling an empire had multiplied to such an extent that she began to shake uncontrollably. Yosho went over to her and embraced her, hoping to calm her down.

"Ayeka, be at ease. We haven't come to that part of the equation yet. If we can find out who did this, then your time to decide on Ryoko's life may not come to pass…"

"But Yosho, what if we can't? What if I have to choose between my friend and my kingdom? If I don't allow the execution to proceed, members of the ministry can cause discontent among the people. If I do nothing, then Ryoko could be put to death and it'll be like I killed her myself. What will Tenchi and the others think of me? I couldn't live with myself if this came to pass! Please Yosho, Azaka! Please tell me you can help Ryoko! Please say that this is just a bad dream that will go away. Please tell me anything…anything that will make this nightmare go away! I…I couldn't bear it! I…I…"

Yosho could not offer any guarantees. As he held on to the sobbing princess, he could only imagine what would happen to Tenchi if he had to see Ryoko convicted and executed, just as he had finally learned to open his heart to someone he truly loved since the death of his mother. To lose Ryoko and possibly Ayeka to the madness could end up being more than his young soul could take.

<No, I will allow this! May Tsunami guide me to the right path for I will not allow any more pain to come to neither this family, nor my people as well! > He swore to himself as he guided the Ayeka back to the couch and allowed her to cry on his chest until she fell asleep, exhausted from this ordeal.

***************************************

"Now just sit here tight and let little Washu examine your memory cells, ok? This shouldn't take long." Said the diminutive scientist as she placed Ryo-oki on the same examination table as Ryoko was a few hours ago. After reconfiguring the scanning device to adapt to the cabbit's memory cells/data bank, Washu wanted to quickly analyze the information so she could prove Ryoko's innocence. Despite the lack of proof, she knew deep down that the pirate's sudden memory loss and the murder occurring at the same time wasn't a mere coincidence. As she left the scanner on automatic, she decided to make a phone call…

(Three Minutes Later…)

"This is the Galaxy Police Cruiser Yagami, Detective First Class Makubi speaking." Answered the teal-haired girl as the ship's monitor finally flashed Washu's face on the screen.

"Kiyone where are you right now? I need for you to turn around and get back here ASAP!"

"Washu, what's wrong? Did something happen after we left Earth?"

"Oh, nothing much. The Jurai military decided to drop by and surrounded the house and Ryoko was almost electrocuted while trying to break through their force field. Did I also mentioned that they're here to take Ryoko back to Jurai to try her the murder of Lord Braga?"

"WHAT?!? You can't be serious? How the hell did this happen?"

"I don't know Kiyone. Ryoko stopped by and told me she had no memory of the past week and that coincides with Braga's death on Xeria. I was trying to analyze some of the data that she provided me through her neural pathways and that's when 'our guests' arrived."

"This is unreal Washu. I can't believe Ryoko would be involved in such a thing. Is there any evidence to prove that she did it?"

"Well, Azaka's here with the military and he's discussing the matter with Ayeka and Katsuhito now as we speak. Kiyone, can you come back here? I'm going to need your help if we're going to vindicate Ryoko."

"I can't; at least not right away. We're about seven hours from HQ and I'm pretty sure they will want to know what happened on Earth. When are they planning to take Ryoko back to Jurai?"

"Not right away, Ayeka and Azaka had ordered the assault group to return to the ship, but it's only a matter of time before they insist that Ryoko goes back with them or else. Everyone will be going along except for Nobuyuki and myself; he's still at work. Boy, he's going to flip when he hears about this."

Kiyone slouched back to the pilot's seat, her head still spinning from what Washu told her. As much as she would have liked to turn around and go back to help her friends, her best bet was to continue her traveling to HQ. Perhaps there she'd find some answers since Jurai and the GP were cooperating with each other since this case began.

"Washu, Mihoshi and I will try to attain whatever information HQ may have on this case and we'll swing back and pick you up before we head for Jurai…"

"That's assuming that your superiors will let you near Jurai. Remember Kiyone, they know you're friends with Ryoko and they may hold that against you…"

"That's a chance I'm willing to take. I'll contact you when we find out anything at HQ. Kiyone out!" Kiyone sounded off as the ship's monitor switched from Washu's face, back to the normal viewing of outer space, "Damn it, this is bad! Better get my ditzy partner up here and tell her the bad news." Kiyone sighed as she pressed the 'com' button the internal ship audio, "MIHOSHI! GET YOUR ASS UP HERE, WE GOT TROUBLE!!"

**************************************

"Tenchi? Tenchi…are you in here?" Whispered Yosho as he quietly entered his grandson's room. As he carefully slid the door open, he saw that Tenchi was sitting along side Ryoko, asleep. His face buried in his arms as he placed his head on the bed just beside hers. He stood there for a few minutes, watching the two of them like this. If this was two years ago, he would've of been shocked to see the both of them so close like this, but not any more. His face grew grim when he thought of the prospect of telling his grandson that his love would be tried and possibly executed for this serious crime.

<He will not understand the complexity of the whole thing. >Yosho thought to himself, <He has such a good heart and a peaceful soul; how will he react if they convict her? How will he react once he finds out that Ayeka may hold the life of Ryoko in her hands? I pray that Tsunami will grant us the strength and determination to weather this storm and to find our adversary before this goes too far... >

"Grandpa? Are you ok, you look like you're lost in thought." Tenchi asked the old man as he woke up from his slumber. Yosho was so deep in thought that he didn't noticed Tenchi waking up in front of him.

"Uh, yes I'm fine. I was…remembering when Ryoko first came here and how she intimidated you with her brashness. You were so shy back then." The old prince answered as he tried to hide his true thoughts with an impish grin.

"Yeah, I guess I was, but Ryoko was so brazen and wild when she first came here. I remembered those first few weeks I kept the door locked because I was afraid she'll sneak in and try to sleep with me, heh-heh." Tenchi laughed softly as he looked at Ryoko once more.

"And how do you feel now?"

"Like my world is crashing down all over me and I can't do anything to stop it. Grandpa, what's going to happen when we reach Jurai?"

Yosho walked and placed his hand on Tenchi's shoulder with his face showing no emotion, "I won't lie to you Tenchi, the Ministry of Justice will do their best to try and convict Ryoko of this crime. We have to find the person responsible for this or else…"

"Or else what Grandpa?"

"Or else…if she's convicted of the murder, she could be…sentenced to the most severe punishment the laws of Jurai can impose on a criminal." Yosho replied, as he realized that he couldn't muster the courage to tell Tenchi of what will actually happen to Ryoko if she's found guilty.

Tenchi wasn't good at reading faces like Katsuhito was, but he knew enough to see that his grandfather was hiding something from him. He decided to take an educated guess of what it was and pray he was wrong. "Grandpa, do they execute people for murder on Jurai?"

"Yes…yes they do grandson and this homicide would be under that penalty code. I'm sorry Tenchi, but the tribunal will probably look for the death sentence if they can prove that Ryoko had murdered Lord Braga."

Tenchi stood in silence as his grandfather reluctantly explained the situation to him. His face turned pale, his hands rolled into fists as he tried to control his emotions. As he looked back at his ladylove once more, a tear swelled up and trickled down his left cheek as he tried to make sense of all this. * sniff * "Grandpa, can Ayeka do anything about this?!? I mean she's the crowned princess of the whole damn empire! She must have the ability to prevent this!"

"As much authority as Ayeka has as the future ruler of Jurai, she cannot intervene when it comes to the trial. However, she may intercede and determine what sentence Ryoko may receive if she's proven guilty, but that is where politics and problems will arise."

"I don't understand…"

"The killing of a Juraian Lord is capital offense. In most cases, the punishment is usually death without exception. However, if Ayeka decides to give Ryoko a lighter sentence, the populace may consider that a sign of weakness on her part since the people are aware of Ryoko's association with us and her help in defeating Kagato."

As Katsuhito strolled towards the window, which had a view of the serene lake, he continued his grim assessment of what will come to pass on his homeworld. "There are a number of scrupulous politicians and high-rank military leaders who would use that weakness to exploit the general population and cause a civil unrest on Jurai. If we cannot prove Ryoko's innocence, Ayeka may be force to make a painful decision that she is not ready to make. Tenchi, as much as you wish to help Ryoko, you must also share your strength and compassion with Ayeka as well. She needs to know that you'll be there for her as well, especially if she is forced to make a choice that can affect so many lives."

"I…I understand grandfather, but right now I my place is with Ryoko. I'll speak with Ayeka later about all this, but damn it, all this is happening and I'm pretty sure she's wondering why I'm so attentive with Ryoko. Do you think she knows?"

"Hard to say grandson, but right now I believe she has other matters to be concern about." Yosho answered. He then gave his grandson a slap across the shoulders to reassure him that all was not lost, turned around towards the door and left for the stairs.

************************************

"Professor Washu? Are you here?" Bellowed Azaka as he entered the laboratory of the scientific genius. He had heard stories about the lab when the gang was on Jurai after the Kagato incident. He knew that Washu was the absolute master of conjuring up multiple dimensions and subspace portals, but he never imagined that she could create all this machinery within such a marginal confine of space. After walking around for several minutes, he was starting to wonder if he entered the wrong dimension, but just then he heard the humming of what appeared to be a scanning device with something furry lying on a metal table. As he got closer, he realized that it was Ryo-oki attached to a bunch of wires surrounding her head. The little cabbit saw the bearded knight and began to converse with him, although Azaka did not have a clue to what she was saying.

"I'm sorry little one, but I don't understand anything you're trying to tell me."

"She's trying to tell you how happy she is to see you…"

"Huh? Oh it's you Professor Washu…"

"Please Azaka, just call me Washu, or if you must, Ms. Washu…"

"Very well, uh, Washu. Have you come up with anything vital that can help us with this murder?"

"Nothing yet I'm afraid. I'm still haven't finish scanning Ryo-oki yet and the data I pulled out from Ryoko's memory still hasn't been completing analyzed by the computer. By the time I completed processing all the data, you may be halfway to Jurai by then." Washu sighed as she continued to press the keys on her holographic console.

"Hmmm, I was hoping you had something by now because the fleet captain will be hailing us soon and I fear that our little delay will have to end."

"Azaka! You know that this is wrong! Despite what evidence the GP and Holy Council have in their hands, Ryoko didn't do this! I just know it in my bones!" Proclaimed Washu as her hands curled up into little fists. She may have some problems with Ryoko over the last couple of years, but she was still her friend and knowing that Ryoko could die just made her blood boiled inside.

Azaka saw the raw emotion that the fiery redhead was displaying and placed his hands on her shoulders, "Calm down Washu, this ordeal is far from over and by Tsunami, we will get to the bottom of this" He then reached into his pockets and pulled out the disc that contain the video surveillance from Xeria, "Here, take this. I believe you can use this to help you further with your investigation of Ryoko's memory lapse."

"Is this the 'smoking gun'?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"An Earth phrase, basically I'm asking you is this the evidence that has Ryoko in deep…well you know what I mean."

"This is one copy of the video. Technically I should not be showing this to anyone except members of the Royal Family, which would be Lord Yosho and Princess Ayeka, but seeing that this is such damaging evidence, I will allow you to have it and examine the contents. Perhaps you'll find some clues in the video where as the council and Galaxy Police had failed to do so."

"Trust me Azaka, if there's anything on that disc that's not kosher, I'll find it! I swear it!"

"Excellent! Then what I'll do is I will confine with Lord Yosho and we will come up with an excuse of why the disc was somehow 'lost' in transit." The knight replied with a smirk, hinting how the evidence might disappear.

"Great, I'll get cracking right away. Azaka, can you please tell Lord Katsuhito to come by and see me? I have a few things to tell him before all of you go to Jurai."

"As you wish. Uh Washu, What is 'Kosher'?"

"Another Earth expression. I guess I been living here for so long, some of the native culture is starting to rub off on me. Ha-ha!"

"Interesting planet. Perhaps when this is over, I shall come back to visit the different places on this sphere."

"You should and if you do, I'll be more than happy to guide you around." Washu said as she impishly smiled at the knight. Azaka noticed this and began to clear his throat as if to change the subject.

"Well, * ahem *, I would find that enjoyable, uh… I believe I should be going back to tending Lord Yosho and the Princess."

"Well, you do that big guy and I'll talk to you later." Answered Washu as she winked back at the suddenly blushing knight.

***********************************

"We're Back! Did we miss anything?" Squealed Sasami as she and Lucas entered through the kitchen, with the Juraian soldier carrying about six heavy shopping bags of every conceivable food that can be thought of. As the little blue-haired girl instructed him to place them on the kitchen counter, she glanced over towards the living room to see her sister asleep. At the same time Yosho was coming down the stairs and Azaka was coming out of Washu's door, still blushing from his rather 'interesting' talk with the frisky genius.

"Sasami, I see that you practically brought the whole market back with you. I hope you realize that you won't have time to cook anything before we leave for Jurai." Yosho commented.

"I figured as much Grandfather, but I could always commandeer the galley aboard the ship, right Azaka?"

"Indeed you can your highness and young Lucas will assist you, isn't that right Lucas?"

The young soldier was still putting the bags down when he heard the knight's question. He instinctively snapped into attention when he heard his name called. "Yes sir! As you wish! I will assist the princess in whatever capacity that is required."

"Hee-heh, he's sure is the nervous type isn't he?"

"Well your highness, As good as young Lucas has been as a soldier, he still tends to be uptight when around his superiors." Azaka answered as he approached the stiff young man. "At ease soldier, this isn't a drill. Just help the princesses with whatever items they wish to take with them to Jurai, understood?"

"Yes sir."

"Good. Now let us…" Before Azaka could finish his sentence, his communicator went off. It was the fleet captain.

"Azaka, we have just received orders from the Holy Council and they request that we get under way. Any further delays and I am ordered to return to the planet with large recovery force and if need be, to take the accused by force. Is that understood?"

"Understood Captain. Can you give us one hour? Prince Yosho is finishing up some loose ends here and Lucas is assisting the princesses with some of their belongings." Azaka replied, with some other choice words being whispered under his breath.

The captain was growing impatient. As much as he would like to storm the house and drag Ryoko away in chains, he didn't like the match up of his commandos versus the Royal Family. One being with the Jurai Power he could handle, but not three of them plus a knight and possibly Ryoko if she was awake. A slight delay wasn't going to make a difference. "Very well, you have one hour, but after that I'm coming down with a armed platoon." The captain threatened with such false bravado. He figured at the least he should act tough so as not to lose face with his men.

Yosho and Azaka looked at each other with grim expressions. They realized now that once they leave Earth, their options would be limited. Meanwhile, Ayeka was waking up from her slumber.

"Yosho? Azaka? Is something wrong?"

"It's time Ayeka. We have to prepare to leave in one hour." Yosho said as he looked towards the direction of Tenchi's room. "Would you please go and tell Tenchi that he needs to pack a few things? We really don't know how long we'll be away."

Ayeka was hesitant to go upstairs. Afraid to face Tenchi for various reasons, she looked at Yosho as if to let her be excused, but the shrine master smiled slightly and walked over to her to reassure her that all is well. "Just go and tell him that we're leaving and do not be distress over our other problems right now. We will face them one at a time."

"But Tenchi and Ryoko…"

"Tenchi will speak to you when the right opportunity comes, but now just tell him to prepare for our quick departure." Yosho ran his hand up Ayeka's back, hoping to instill some confidence in the young princess since he knows she faces a very difficult road ahead. Even though Ryoko is the accused, Yosho understood that Ayeka would be going through a trial of her own also; a test to see if she can effectively rule a kingdom that seems to be tearing at the seams.

"Very well Lord Yosho, I'll tend to Tenchi and start packing myself as well." sighed the princess.

"Good. Sasami is already upstairs with Lucas so this shouldn't take long…"

"I'll see to Ryoko's belongings as well. I suppose she'll need a few things for the long journey home…"

"Once she's detained by the Jurai military, she won't be needing much I'm afraid." Added Azaka

"Must she be locked up like some caged animal Azaka? Granted, she can be as vicious …" Ayeka started to smirk at the thought, but quickly stopped herself as she recalled how criminals are treated in Jurai's prisons, "She'll be all alone."

"The laws of Jurai are absolute. Once she's there, she will be detained until her trial is over, however since the Royal Family is involved, we can bend the rules a bit. Otherwise, the people will be up in arms if Ryoko was allowed to be free during her trial."

Azaka begrudgingly added.

"Well then, I guess she'll have a lot of visitors, won't she Ayeka?" Yosho looked at the saddened princess. As she looked back at Yosho's kind expression, she suddenly perked up.

"Indeed she shall Yosho, indeed she shall!" With that the purple-haired proceeded to walk up the stairs to check on Tenchi.

Azaka then turned his attention back to Katsuhito, "My Lord, Washu wanted to see you before we left. She has indicated that it would best that she should remain to complete her analysis and possibly find a solution to our dilemma."

"I agree. At least if she stays here, no one would be able to bother her and when the other girls arrive from Galaxy Police headquarters, they can assist her as well…"

"Is there anything else you require your highness?"

"Here's the keys to the shrine, lock all the doors, but as you enter the shrine office, there's a small wooden drawer at the far end of the room, behind it, you will find a black leather pouch. Please bring it back as you leave."

"As you wish my lord." Azaka bowed back to Yosho as he headed out towards the back door. The old prince then proceeded to go through Washu's door that led to her lab.

**************************************

"Tenchi? It's me, Ayeka. Can I come in?" Asked the princess as she meekly slid the door open partially as not to disturb anyone.

"Huh, oh sure. Please come in Miss Ayeka."

As the princess meekly entered the room she saw Ryoko laid motionless on Tenchi's bed. A powder blue blanket covered her up to her collarbone, with the exception of her right arm, in which Tenchi was gently holding her hand. Ayeka put her head down, as not to look directly at the boy she loved so much. Emotions started to swell up inside of her, wanting to be released, but she kept herself in control. She didn't want to see Tenchi more upset than he was right now.

<I don't know what to feel right now. > Ayeka questioned herself, <But now is not the time for me to be selfish. Even if he has possibly chosen her over me, Tenchi is still my friend, as well as Ryoko. I cannot afford to be weak, especially now. >

"How is she doing Tenchi?"

"Ok I guess. Washu said she's out of danger, but doesn't know for sure when she'll wake up…"

"Unfortunately, that may be when we are traveling to Jurai."

"Probably. I just wish she'd just wake up so I'll feel better knowing she's all right."

"You shouldn't feel guilty about this Tenchi, you had no way of knowing what was going to happen…"

"But Ayeka, if I didn't yell at Ryoko at the party, then she wouldn't have taken off like that. You'd think after I talked to you girls about being civil, I go flying into a fit of rage after you girls start fighting."

"Well, we did ruined the party for you…"

"True, but that's no excuse for me to embarrass her like that in front of everyone…"

Ayeka winced at she struggled to say the following words. "Y…You really, uh, care about her do you?"

"Yes I do, I mean despite my behavior towards her at times, Ryoko has always been there for me, even when I didn't know it."

Again, Ayeka was finding it hard to contain the strong emotions that were churning inside of her. She wanted so badly to tell him that she loved him and to ask him why Ryoko and not her. This was an argument that had been going on within her for such a long time now; part of her knew that Tenchi was in love with Ryoko since their return from Haruna's world, but the other part of her still wanted to proclaim that she was the right choice. Eventually, the part with the common sense told her that now wasn't the right time to ask. "Yes Lord Tenchi, you certainly displayed your…feelings by standing between Ryoko and those soldiers…"

Tenchi didn't realized what he actually did when pulled out Tenchi-ken in front of those startled commandos. He scratched the back of his head when the princess just reminded him of it. "Well, I guess my instincts must've took over, but I would've done the same for any of you girls. I just didn't like the way the captain was handling the situation and until we clear up this mess, I'm not letting anyone treat Ryoko like some low-life criminal." Tenchi replied with a trace of anger coming from his voice.

Ayeka smiled at Tenchi's comment. True, she believed that he would defend any of the girls with his life, after all they're family. However, the way he had been speaking about Ryoko and the way he raced over to the unconscious pirate's body as he menacingly waved Tenchi-ken at any soldier that would try to take her away from him proved that his actions defined more than just defending a friend; it was like he was protecting a part of his life that was so incredibly precious to him.

The simple fact was that while Ayeka was still hurting inside because of Tenchi's choice of Ryoko over her, she could take comfort in the knowledge that the young Masaki would fight to the death in order to protect his loved ones. If she ever doubted that, all she needed to do was to remember Tenchi's coming to Jurai and saving her from the evil Kagato.

"Lord Tenchi, Yosho has told me to tell you that we need to leave Earth within the hour. The captain has been ordered to retrieve Ryoko with a larger ground force if we decide to delay."

"The bastard! I bet he would like the chance to do that." Tenchi hissed at the idea of some military lackey coming after them for some shallow glory, "Well, I'll get some things to take with me, but what about Ryoko?"

"I'll see to her things while I go check on Sasami." The princess answered. Somehow, their little conversation has made her feel slightly better, but there were some issues that she still needed to talk to Tenchi about, "Lord Tenchi, perhaps when have settled in on the ship, we can…perhaps discuss some things?"

Tenchi was a little wary of what the princess wanted to discuss, but if that was case, then that may be the right time to tell her about his feelings towards her and Ryoko. "Sounds good to me Miss Ayeka, it's a long trip to Jurai so I guess we'll have the chance to talk about…certain things."

"Uh, good. Well then…I'll go and see if Sasami needs my help. I'll see you in a hour?"

"Yeah, one hour…more than enough time to get ready." He said unenthusiastically.

As the princess closed the door, Tenchi turned his eyes back on his love, still asleep with no sign of getting up soon. "Don't worry about a thing Ryoko, I swear that everything is going to turn out all right."

**************************************

"Miss Washu? It's Katsuhito! Azaka said you needed to see me?" Yelled the ancient priest. Unlike the others before him, he was content to stand by the doorway and allow the mad scientist to come to him, rather than get lost in this artificial space.

"Lord Katsuhito, I'm glad you're here. I have some things to discuss with you before you leave on your journey to Jurai."

"The journey will be difficult, just as finding the evidence we need to clear Ryoko's name. Have you found something?"

"No, not yet. I'm done scanning Ryo-oki's memory, but it will take time to analyze what she remembers. Not to mention the disc that Azaka gave me of the crime scene. I'm going to have to work double time to find any discrepancies on that video."

"Well, if anyone in the universe can find anything on that disc, it's you. I have total confidence that you will unveil any secrets that are being kept hidden…"

"Just as I have faith that you will do everything in your power to help your future granddaughter be proven innocent of these charges."

Katsuhito raised his eyebrows when he heard Washu's last comment. "So you too believe that Tenchi and Ryoko…"

"By now it's obvious to anyone who isn't blind Lord Katsuhito. Well, maybe except Tenchi and Ryoko, but she's unconscious so she has an excuse." The little redhead said with a smirk.

'Well Ryoko will be the last to know since my grandson was planning to tell that he has chosen her. However, like his swordplay, his timing needs some work." Responded the priest as they both managed to share a laugh.

"Well, we'll worry about the wedding plans later. Right now I need to give you some items to take to Jurai in order to help us…"

"How so?"

Washu pulled out a small keypad that was the size of a small calculator and as she pressed a few color-coded buttons, a small portal opened up behind and out appeared a large container. As she opened it, she pulled put what looked to be several tripods with a red colored glass ball on top of each one.

"I have been working on a device that will open a dimensional portal from one end to the galaxy to another. With these transponder sequencers, I can lock in on their signal and open the portal to the location that they're transmitting. We're going to need it when I start sending materials over to you for Ryoko's defense."

Yosho was impressed, but had some reservations. "Can your portal transport a person at such a long distance?"

"To be honest, I'm not sure yet. I'm still in the testing stages with that subject…"

"I'm sure that they will come in good use, I'll have Azaka set them up at a secure location in the palace. Any other items we need to take?"

"This small carrying case has the medication that Ryoko may need if and when she comes around. She not in any danger health wise, but you'd never know. Just make sure she takes those orange pills or her healing abilities won't function properly."

"I'll let Tenchi be in charge of that. Thank you Washu, you have been so helpful. Once we reach Jurai, I'll make sure that we keep an open line between us in the event either one of us has anything to report."

"I agree. Lord Katsuhito, do you think we have a chance to clear Ryoko? Your people seem to be anxious to see some blood spilled over this murder. Maybe if I can disengage the force field, we can…"

"NO Washu! First of all, there's a squadron of Juraian battle cruisers orbiting the Earth. Any attempt to escape will be met by deadly force. Remember, only Ryoko is capable of piloting Ryo-oki and that option is out. Second, someone has gone to a lot of trouble to frame her for this crime and we need to face this task head on, or else we will be hiding from the authorities for a very long time…"

"I guess you're right. I just wish I knew who our killer could be…"

"If we take the proper steps, Washu everything will reveal itself in time. We just need to be patient…"

"Yeah, just tell that to Ryoko when she wakes up."

*********************************

(ONE HOUR LATER…)

Outside the house everyone was gathered for what will be the most difficult journey they will ever take. Lucas gathered all the Royal Family's luggage and bags and signaled the ship for immediate transport. Azaka and Yosho were standing by the lake, going over the protocols that had changed since Yosho's time. Ayeka stood next to Washu, along with Ryo-oki, wondering if this situation was just as bad as the last time the Jurai military passed by. She still had horrid memories of the episode when they arrested her for treason and to make matters worse, they had her allied with the space pirate when they were still at odds with each other. Washu disagreed.

"That was a bad time princess, but nobody had ever accused you of murder nor were you nearly electrocuted. The last time they were here, there was only one ship; it's obvious that they learned their lesson this time around." Ayeka nodded in agreement as everyone turned their attention towards the house…

Sasami walked out first, holding the door open for Tenchi, who was carrying the still unconscious Ryoko gently in his arms. It's been almost five hours since the attack and while everyone had calmed down somewhat, Tenchi still had that mad look in his eyes.

The usual pleasant expression he seemed to always have when he was around his love ones were replaced by a cold, serious look that would kill anyone that wanted to threaten him or his family. As he reached the others by the lake, Lucas received a signal from the Saibankan. "Sir, they're ready to transport us." Lucas said to Azaka as Yosho motioned everyone to gather around him.

"Listen to me everyone. As we go on to Jurai to defend our friend and protector Ryoko, we must not allow our feelings to overwhelm us. We must be strong for her and for each other as well. We will find that each of us has a role to play in this drama, but while our antagonist may believe that they have won, I tend to disagree. When the time comes, we will need to draw our inner strength from within ourselves and from one another if we are going to defeat this enemy. The people on Jurai believe that they have found the murderer of Lord Braga, but it will be up to us to prove them wrong and to find the true killer of the minister."

"Lord Yosho, do you believe the actual killer will be present during the trial?" Ayeka asked.

"Our enemy has gone to great lengths to see that Ryoko was apprehended and forced to go to Jurai; her memory lapses that just happened to occur around the same time as the murder at Xeria was no sheer coincidence. Yes, I believe our killer will be present to witness their apparent victory, but we shall uncover this treacherous deed and bring the actual killer to justice."

Everyone was moved by Yosho's speech. The only other time they ever saw him so determined was when they went up against Kagato and despite the odds, they won and were acquitted from the false charges levied against them. Now another fight has begun and he was rallying his family around the stricken cyan girl. He would do this for her, as well for his grandson.

Tenchi was equally moved as was everyone else, but inside of him still laid a burning desire to find the person responsible and make them pay for what they done to his love. His anger was such that he wouldn't bother with bringing the killer to justice, but rather to kill whoever it was himself.

As Yosho finished what he had to say, Washu stepped in front of him. "Listen up folks. I'm staying here to continue my analysis of what happen to Ryoko and Ryo-oki last week, but whatever info you hear or find, tell Katsuhito immediately so he can pass it along to me. I'm sure when Kiyone and Mihoshi get back, I'll be able to speed up things here. Good luck to you all and Tenchi take care of Ryoko will ya? She's going to need all support she can get, but none more important than yours."

Tenchi momentarily lost his anger as he heard Washu. He gave a slight smile as he lovingly looked at Ryoko who had her head rested by Tenchi's shoulder blade. "Don't worry Washu, I don't expect that to be a problem. Please tell dad that we'll miss him, but not to worry. We'll be back with Ryoko soon enough." Washu smiled at she nodded to acknowledge Tenchi's request.

"Very well then, let us be off!" Bellowed Azaka as he motioned Lucas to contact the ship for transport. "Ms. Washu, may Tsunami guide you to the answers we seek…"

"And may she look after you all as well!" Replied the little scientist. Washu walked about ten meters back as a yellow transport beam engulfed the entire party and disappeared into thin air. As she walked back towards the house, she was confident that she'd find the clues to this mystery, but she still felt the need to say a silent prayer for her cyan friend, <Please get through this Ryoko, I don't know what this family will do if anything were to happen to you, especially Tenchi…>

End Chapter Five

********************************

A/N: Well, unlike chp.4, I managed to get some time in and write this piece in a relatively shorter time. In case you're wondering or forgotten, Katsuhito/Yosho are the same person. Everyone in the family would called him Katsuhito while Ayeka, Azaka and anything else that's from Jurai would know him as Yosho, which I preferred to call him myself since it's a lot easier to spell.

COMMENTS FROM LAST CHAPTER:

Malena: Realmente quisiera decirle que sobre pérdida de la memoria de Ryoko y el detrás villan todo, pero ése esté engañando. Tengo varias preguntas sin embargo: Es usted latína o apenas en el lenguaje? BTW: Tengo un favor a preguntarle, pero a me email de la voluntad usted personalmente cuando consigo una ocasión.

Bobr: Don't you just love a character that just gets into trouble without even knowing it? I just ordered 'Slayers' and hopefully it'll be here this week. You know, I can think of a story of Ryoko, Urd and Nahga going out on a night on the town. How's that sound to you?

Thundergod: The Captain's a bit of a glory hound, but he's pretty much a regulations guy or "old school", but I do recall that episode of "Next Generation". God I wanted to kill Ronnie Cox's Character, but I really liked the second part of the story where Peter Warner played the Cardasian interrogator. Expect a big letter from me this week.

LedZepFan: Hope you're feeling better. I don't know about where you live at, but in NYC the weather's been crazy; one day 60 degrees, the next day 30, what person wouldn't feel crappy under those conditions? If I haven't said it enough already, I say it again which is thanks for the look over.

Sophia Le Fay: Glad that your story is turning out well. As far as Sasami and Kamedake an item, she still a little too young in this storyline, but if you read my other story 'Second Chance', your idea might come into play when I do the sequel.

Meeckachu: If you read the Prologue, scene II, it said 'One Week Earlier'. My line of thinking was to present the murder first and then go back a week as to why it involved Ryoko and the rest of the clan. As for Oto? He'll be back, but I haven't decided if he'll play a major part or not, just as Ryoko's comrades.

For those who are wondering, the sequel to 'Second Chance' is in the initial stages. I'll probably post up chapter one by March since I want to knock off a couple of chapters of this story beforehand. Still thinking of a title though. As always, your reviews are appreciated. If you want a more elaborate explanation, you can email me at a.falc@verizon.net

Later, alighthawk