Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ The Trial ❯ “Searching for Answers, Pt. II” ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*Disclaimer: The main characters in this story are property of AIC, Pioneer, & Viz Comics. All the other characters were created by me, so any similarities are just dumb luck so please don't sue me.

** Author's notes: This story takes place about a year after "Tenchi Forever" in which it follows the "Tenchi Universe" storyline, though some names and places from the OAV and manga might appear. C & C is welcomed, but remember, this is my first fanfic, so easy on the flame throwing!

The Trial: by alighthawk

Chapter Six - "Searching for Answers, Pt. II"

GALAXY POLICE HEADQUARTERS, The nerve center for the Galactic Union. It was here that Detectives First Class Kiyone and Mihoshi had come in search for any information or clues that would help them in their fight to exonerate their friend, the Space Pirate Ryoko. They had spent the last day or so traveling through hyperspace in response to an emergency recall from Commander Neko, head of the Seventh Headquarters of the Galaxy Police. When the official word came out that the Finance Minister of Jurai, Lord Braga, was assassinated, all available officers had been called in to help out with the investigation.

When the red star cruiser Yagami docked into Docking Bay 18, Kiyone downloaded all the available files of the incident, as well as her personal notes from her conversation with Washu that took place after Jurai military's attack on the Masaki's residence. As she got up from her pilot's chair and straightened out her rust colored tie and the rest of her blue grayish uniform, something kept poking at her at the back of her mind. She couldn't quite place it, but something about the timing of her recall wasn't right.

<Headquarters knew about the homicide for over a week now, but it's only now that they called Mihoshi and myself back here. There are other cops that are stationed further away, but they were called back before we received any notice. Something's not right. > As Kiyone was lost in her thoughts, an unpleasant squeal rang out in the ship's intercom…

"KIIIIIIYYOOOONNEEE!!!!!! Are you still up there?"

<Argh!! If only headquarters wasn't so picky about sending back defective 'equipment'! I would have stuffed Mihoshi in a cargo container and label it as "damaged goods, return to sender!" > The poor space cop let out a sigh as she was feeling one of those headaches coming on.

"I'm still at the command console Mihoshi <Unfortunately>, get up here while I do a system check before Yagami is powered down."

"Uh, ok. Just let me find my watch before I…OOPS!! CRASH!!… Ouch."

"Good God what now? Mihoshi, are you ok?"

"Uh yeah, I just slipped and landed on my eating table…Oh, I found my watch Kiyone. Heh-heh, silly me, the watch made me slip…"

"Pity the watch didn't made you land headfirst you ditz, it might have knocked some sense into your head…"

"Oh Kiyone, there's nothing in my head to knock some sense into…"

"I rest my case, now would you mind getting your butt up here? We have to report to Captain Nobeyama in one hour."

"Gotcha Kiyone, I'll be up in five minutes and OOPS!!! CRASH!!…Ouch."

"GRRR…just get up here Mihoshi, Kiyone out!" The teal haired woman felt two veins on the side her head ready to burst as she bent down to open a hatch underneath the navigation console and removed the ship's med kit. As she frantically rummaged through the metal container, she found a bottle of aspirin. Quickly she opened the bottle and popped about six bright yellow pills into her mouth; she didn't bothered to drink any water with it.

"I battled space pirates, deranged kings and all sorts of scumbags in the galaxy, but I fear the one thing that's going to be the death of me is my loony-bin of a partner." The young detective kept shaking her head in disbelief.

***************************************

"Great! Part one of my analysis is completed! Now all have to do is wait for the telemetry report from Ryo-oki's memory scan to be completed and I can start putting together this crazy puzzle." Washu was most pleased with herself. She had spent hours trying to calculate and theorize what happened to Ryoko and her cabbit when they landed on Trillian Prime almost two weeks ago, just before the murder of Lord Braga. As she began to piece the clues together, an alarm sounded off her holographic keypad. She quickly typed a few keys and a hologram appeared in front of her eyes.

<It's Nobuyuki and he's finally back! I hope he had a good time at that two day seminar because what I'm about to tell him isn't going to be pleasant. > Washu sighed as she made her keypad disappear and slowly proceeded to the dimensional doorway that led to the living room.

"I'm home, anybody here?" Nobuyuki hollered as he entered the silent house. It was evening and usually the family would be in the living room watching TV or playing some game. However, the house was dark and there was no sign of anybody being inside. Tenchi's dad leisurely strolled into the kitchen to check if Sasami had cooked anything. As he turned the lights on, he checked the fridge & the kitchen cabinets, but to his amazement nothing had appeared to be made for some time.

"That's strange, if they were planning to go on an outing they would have said something to me, I'm sure of it." As he turned back towards the door, he heard something opening in the living room.

"Hello, anybody there?" He questioned.

"It's me Nobuyuki…"

"Washu? Where is everybody? Did they go out somewhere?"

Washu saw the bewildered look Tenchi's dad had on his face. Even though he always appeared to be a jovial kind of fellow, Nobuyuki had always managed to keep his real feelings hidden from everyone, especially when it came to his son. It was just something he always did since the death of his wife. Since Washu wasn't being her wicked self, he sensed that something wasn't right.

"Washu, tell me what's wrong?"

She paused for moment, her face grimacing as she tried to find the right words to say.

"Uh, better sit down for this one Nobuyuki, it's going to be a long story."

"Did something happen to Tenchi and the girls?"

"You could say that…"

**************************************

Kiyone checked her watch as she entered the station cafeteria with her partner. She had about forty minutes before reporting to Captain Nobeyama so she figured that now would be a good time to plan a strategy. The trick was to find a way that would have the captain divulge some information about the incident without letting him know what they were up to. As she got on line to grab some dinner, Mihoshi was already getting herself into trouble.

"Kiyone look, I got found an empty table. I'll just wait for you to finish getting dinner while I…whoa excuse me! LOOK OUT!"

It was too late. When Mihoshi pulled a chair from under the table, she neglected to look behind her and see a fellow officer carrying his tray of food. The poor young man tripped over the chair and his tray of Miso soup and apple juice flew up into the air and landed on a red headed female electronic technician at the adjoining table. The young lady was all covered with soup and was totally incensed as she got up and yelled at the tall GP officer.

"You idiot! Look what you did to my uniform! Why don't you look where you're going?"

"Hey now, don't yell at me! This bimbo over here pulled out the chair in front of me without looking. Go yell at her!"

Mihoshi didn't care for the male officer's insult, "Excuse me? I don't believe thatas a nice thing to say to me, especially since I'm a fellow police officer…"

Both the male officer and female technician paused for a second and looked very carefully at Mihoshi. The blacked haired officer finally recognized who it was.

"What a minute, aren't you Officer Mihoshi Kuramitsu?"

Mihoshi was pleasantly surprised to see that someone from headquarters recognized her, "Why yes I am, and who might you be?"

"Outta here!" Replied both the officer and technician as they decided to skip their meal and leave the cafeteria as fast as their feet could take them. The other officers and personnel sitting at nearby tables decided to follow the exiting duo's cue and vacated the premises once they heard who the blonde woman was.

Mihoshi scratched the side of her head, wondering why the area was emptying out, but she decided to be polite and wave her hand.

"Uh, goodbye Mr. Outtahere! Have a good day! <Gee, I guess he had to report back to duty, but at least it'll be a quiet dinner. > She figured.

Kiyone watched the whole disaster as she stayed on line. With her luck, she'd step off the line, help her partner and something awful would happen to her and not the ditzy blonde. <No way I'm getting involved. I want to be in one piece when I see the captain. >

Mihoshi had already laid out the utensils and the condiments when her teal haired partner brought back their dinners. As they sat down to eat, Kiyone started to formulate her plan of action.

"Listen carefully Mihoshi, when we get to Captain Nobeyama's office I want you to let me do all the talking, got it?"

"Sure Kiyone…uh, what were you planning on talking about anyway?"

"Grrr…Hello?!? We're here because headquarters ordered us to? Now it's gotten more complicated since they're charging Ryoko with the murder of Lord Barga…"

"Poor Ryoko…did she know Lord Braga?"

"I don't think so Mihoshi, but the thing is that Ryoko doesn't remember anything that happened to her when she went away. Who knows what she was doing when Braga was assassinated."

Mihoshi saw the downcast look her partner had on her face. She knew that Kiyone always kept a straight and calm face during stressful situations, but this was different. This was a friend they were talking about and the consequences that could be levied on her were going to be severe unless they could come up with some answers fast. Mihoshi could be dense sometimes, but she knew her best friend was hurting a little and wanted so much to cheer her up.

"Don't worry about it Kiyone. I'm sure when you steal some information from the captain, you'll find a way to help Ryoko out."

"You really think so?" Kiyone looked rather surprised that Mihoshi understood the situation at hand without coming up with a pea brain question.

"Oh sure, after all you're the smartest detective in the GP. If anyone can get Ryoko out of this jam you can."

For once, Kiyone was actually glad that her partner was sitting with her and talking about their plans. As her spirits picked up, ideas started to form inside her head and a plan of action was taking form.

"Well Mihoshi, if you're ready, let me lay out the plan for you ok?"

"Go ahead partner…"

"By now headquarters has found out about Ryoko's capture and are waiting for the Jurian fleet to return to Jurai before issuing any statements to the media…"

"So what's that got to do with us?"

"It didn't hit me at the time, but haven't you wondered why headquarters took so long to recall us since the murder took place a week ago?"

"Uh…nope, not really."

Kiyone was starting to lose the warm feeling for her partner, but continued to press on with her observations.

"Think about it Mihoshi, Ryoko takes off from Earth, one week later a Jurai noble get executed on a remote planet in which the same time Ryoko loses her memory and comes back a week later not recalling anything and with the Jurai military on her heels, as if they knew that she was going to be on Earth that same exact moment…"

"But Kiyone, it sounds like Ryoko may have been involved. You really think she could…"

"Of course not! Maybe when we first came to Earth and didn't know her at all I would of believe it, but we been together like a family for over two years. Ryoko got her faults, but I know that she wouldn't do this. It's not her style and what possible motive would she have to kill Lord Braga?"

Mihoshi looked back at her partner with a perplexed look on her face, "Uh, I thought maybe you'd have the answer…"

"No I don't you twit, but maybe after talking to the captain we might have some idea of what's going on."

"But Kiyone, what if the captain assigns us to another location? We can't help Ryoko and I don't want to leave Earth.* sniff *"

Sensing that the blonde officer was ready to burst into tears, Kiyone tried to put a light spin on the situation.

"Lighten up Mihoshi, if the captain tries to reassign us to another sector, we'll just take some time off and go back to Earth and help Washu out. I'm sure by now she's got some answers to Ryoko's memory loss…"

**************************************

"So that's the story so far. How do you feel?" Asked the little red head as she finished relaying the entire day of events to a very distraught Nobuyuki who had just finished smoking his fifth cigarette in the last hour.

"I can't believe it, Ryoko accused of murder? It's unreal and poor Tenchi, the pain he must be going through and I can't be there to comfort him…"

"Take it easy pops, Tenchi is watching over Ryoko and Ayeka and Katsuhito are watching over him so everyone's fine until they get to Jurai."

"That's good to know, but Washu, what's going to happen once they reached Jurai?"

Washu tried hard to say the right words, but there was no way of sugarcoating it, "The government will probably have Ryoko detained until the trial starts and most likely have some washed up lawyer as her defense counsel. The worst of it is that if they convict Ryoko of murder, they will probably ask for the death penalty…"

"But Ayeka is the crowned princess, I'm sure she can do something right?" Nobuyuki asked the scientist as if she could give him some good news.

"It's not as simple as that. If they convicted Ryoko, Ayeka can step in and change the sentence. However, there are a lot of angry people on that planet that would go ballistic if they saw that the princess had tried to save her friend. I'm afraid that Ayeka may be forced to walk a path that may prove costly to her as well as Ryoko."

Nobuyuki got and started to pace around the living room. As he dug into his left pant pocket, he pulled out another cigarette. While Washu understood the mental state that Tenchi's father was in, the smoke was starting to annoy her. She walked up to him and yanked the unlit cigarette from his mouth.

"Pull yourself together man! This isn't over by a long shot and I'll be damned if they gonna take Ryoko away from us without a fight! Now I'm going back to the lab to continue my analysis of Ryoko and Ryo-oki's memories so why don't you calm down and fix us something to eat? It'll do us some good."

Nobuyuki sheepishly put his head down, as he felt a little embarrassed over his emotional display. Even though he was here on Earth and not with the rest of the family, he knew that he had to stay strong, for him and for Tenchi. As he grabbed his brown jacket and loosened his red tie, he headed for the kitchen to rustle something up for Washu and himself; he flashed a smile at the diminutive scientist.

"I apologize for my behavior Washu, I should know that Tenchi's friends wouldn't abandon their love one at their time of need…"

"I like to think we're more than that father, I like to think of ourselves as family." The little genius replied.

"You're absolutely right Washu, a family like ours can overcome any obstacles thrown at us. After all, we beat that Kagato fellow and not to mention outrunning the whole Galaxy Police and the Jurai military. I'm sure with your help and father's, Ryoko will get out of this and maybe getting around to marrying my son."

"So you finally figured it out, huh?" Grinned Washu.

"Of course I did. You don't think I go out to the forest at night just to commune with nature do you? When I see Tenchi sneaking out with Ryoko at nights, I managed to follow them ever so quietly as they went to the old Masaki tree." Washu started to chuckle as she thought about images of Nobuyuki tip toeing through the forest to spy on his son.

"Did you take your camcorder with you?"

"Sure did. I was hoping to capture the sexu…er I mean the natural progression of my son's maturity to being a man. I just wanted to get some insights on his activities."

"As far as I know, nothing happened. They just talked."

Nobuyuki sighed, "I know. I fell asleep at some of their rendezvous'. One time I ran into a bear while I was recording and had to run like crazy to make it back to the house. After that I just left them alone."

"Well, I'm starved! How 'bout some food for the all 'nighter I'm about to do? I could use the company also, if you don't mind."

Normally nobody would entered Washu's lab unless they wanted to be test subject for her experiments, but given the circumstance of the situation they're in, Nobuyuki felt it was safe enough to hang around with the red headed woman.

"Just give me a few minutes and I'll scrape up some dinner. Now I hope you realize that I'm nowhere near as good as Sasami when it comes to cooking, but I think I can make something to satisfy our palettes." Nobuyuki refuted.

"Sound good Nobuyuki, I'm looking forward to it." Washu smiled as she headed back to the lab. Nobuyuki walked back to the kitchen, rolled back his sleeves and started cooking.

***************************************

As the turbolift reached the upper levels of Galaxy Police headquarters, Kiyone and Mihoshi agreed that the teal haired girl would do most of the talking unless the captain would specifically direct a question at Mihoshi, in which instance Kiyone could only cross her fingers and pray that questions would be short and sweet and not get them into any trouble. Getting into trouble, however, was the blonde officer's favorite pastime.

The elevator's doors quickly sprang open as the two GP officers made their way down the secured area. Few people ventured up there unless they had the highest security level clearance or were requested by the higher rank officers. Kiyone still had the necessary security clearance to enter this particular area, but she didn't have to use it until now. Mihoshi on the other hand, could only enter the restricted area unless she was escorted by another officer (In this case her partner), or special request by her grandfather. It was a procedure that was designed to protect the higher-ups whenever the blonde officer was aboard the station.

When they finally reached the outer doors of Captain Nobeyama's office, Kiyone straightened out her uniform once more, as did her bubble headed sidekick. She then mentioned some final instructions to her partner.

"Now don't forget what we discussed ok? The faster we get through this, the quicker we can get back on Yagami and head home."

"You can count on me Kiyone." The bubbly blonde answered.

The two young officers entered through the double door entrance and walked towards an office desk manned by a small petite brunette. Kiyone didn't know who the officer was until she saw her nameplate on top of the black metal desk.

"Can I help you?" Asked the blue-eyed officer.

"Uh…yes. Officer Kebe is it? We're Detectives First Class Kiyone and Mihoshi, reporting to Captain Nobeyama as ordered."

"Oh yes, the captain has been expecting you. Please go right in." Officer Kebe politely pointed towards the door and buzzed them right in…

Sitting at his Juraian oak wood desk, Captain Nobeyama had been reviewing some paperwork when he heard the buzzer and looked up to see his two subordinates entered the office and saluted him. He saluted back but unexpectedly greeted them like old friends.

"As you were. So, Kiyone! Mihoshi! How are my two favorite officers holding up these days?"

Kiyone was surprised to hear the pleasant tone that the captain was resonating. Surely, she expected a more formal greeting.

"Uh…we're doing fine sir. We're here at your request to debrief us about the assassination of Lord Braga." Kiyone replied.

"Yes, the Braga homicide. Better have a seat ladies, this may take a while." Nobeyama sighed as he returned to his chair and pulled out some files.

Kiyone decided to initiate the meeting first, "Captain, we just heard recently that the Juraian military have captured the alleged perpetrator of the murder."

"That news is not official yet Kiyone, but considering who the culprit is I'm not all surprise that you know. May I inquire as to how you obtained that information?"

"It's from a private source sir, I rather not say at the present time…"

"I imagine so, since the accused is a friend of yours. I'd just bet that you're wondering why headquarters took so long to have you girls recalled, am I right?"

Kiyone was sensing that the captain was trying gauge of what the girls knew of the attack, but she kept her composure as she cleared her throat and replied back, "Well sir, since the murder took place over a week ago, we were kind of curious why we were called back rather late."

The captain's friendly expression suddenly changed to a more serious look. "Let me be candid with you girls. The Jurai government notified HQ that they were planning on capturing the Space Pirate Ryoko when she reached the Sol system. However, since it was a known fact that two of our officers were known associates of the woman, it was believed that it would be best for both parties that you officers were recalled to HQ before the Juraian fleet arrived on Earth."

"But that doesn't explain the late recall. You could have ordered us to come back sooner."

"The reason for the delayed order Officer Kiyone was that HQ had their concerns that you and Mihoshi were once involved in a criminal act with Ryoko. We had to be sure that in no way that you two were accomplices with the pirate."

"That's not fair sir! We're police officers and we wouldn't do such a thing!" Mihoshi unexpectedly jumped in into the conversation seeing that the captain was suggesting that they might be implicated in the homicide.

"We know that now Officer Mihoshi. After reviewing the video surveillance from the planet Xeria, GP Internal Affairs have concluded that you officers had no involvement or knowledge of the crime. We got you out of there so there wouldn't be any complications with the arrest of Ryoko."

"But captain, if the GP command suspected this, why didn't you simply ordered us to take Ryoko in? We might have prevented any violence at the Masaki residence."

"Do you recall when the last time the Jurai military stopped at Earth? They took the both of you under their custody while imprisoning the Princess Ayeka and the pirate. We want to avoid having an conflict of interest with the Jurai government."

Kiyone was seeing that her superiors were bowing under pressure to the Jurai ministry. Somehow, Ryoko was being set up and nobody was even questioning why. "Captain, the Sol system is under Galaxy Police jurisdiction. You mean to tell me that command simply just let the Jurai military come in and capture a criminal? Wait, what am I saying? Ryoko was cleared of all criminal charges after the Kagato incident. It looks to me that Jurai is railroading Ryoko and the Royal Family. Where's the evidence?"

The captain knew that this was coming. He opened a drawer from his desk and pointed towards the leftside of the room. "You want proof? Here it is, but I warn you, you may not like what you're about to see."

As the room dimmed to darkness, a holographic screen appeared and the whole Braga incident was played before the shocked eyes of the two female officers. Kiyone just sat there with her mouth wide open, shell shocked of what she just saw. Mihoshi became distraught, barely able to hold back her tears as she saw her friend at the scene of the homicide.

As the images finally faded and the room lights went back on, Captain Nobeyama continued the meeting as he saw the girls visibly upset at the sight of their friend being videoed at the crime scene.

"As far as any witnesses seeing Ryoko actually killing Braga is still being investigated, however considering the circumstances and the fact that your friend was missing for some time, it doesn't look good."

Kiyone shot up from her seat, determined to get to the bottom of this conspiracy. "Captain Nobeyama sir, request permission to investigate the crime scene at Xeria and question any possible witnesses…"

"Request denied. Didn't I just tell you that your involvement with Ryoko would cause a conflict of interest between Jurai and the GP? If you go to Xeria on official police business, you'll only make matters worse."

"But captain, we just can't stand here and let Ryoko be tried at Jurai. Do you know what will happen to her if she's convicted of murder?"

"I understand your loyalty and compassion for your friend, but like I said before, if you as so much set on foot on Xeria or Jurai as a official representative of the Galaxy Police, your career as a police officer is finished and not even the Marshall can save you."

Kiyone slouched back on her chair, feeling so helpless at the moment. Mihoshi couldn't hold back her tears any longer and began to cry as she put her hands on her face. The captain was feeling bad for his officers, but orders were orders. As long as they wore that uniform, they had to abide by rules. Suddenly he flashed a smile.

"Ladies, you both had a long trip and I'm sure that this ordeal is putting a lot of stress on the two of you. May I suggest that you girls take some time off and get away for a while? I'm sure that you'll find something to keep the both of you occupied.

Kiyone's ears perked up when she heard the captain's suggestion. <Did he just hinted what I think he said? No way! > Just to make sure, the teal haired girl played along.

"Sounds like a good idea captain. Uh, do you have any suggestions?"

Nobeyama winked at Kiyone as if to acknowledged her request. "Oh, I don't know. Maybe go somewhere that will do you girls some good. Maybe just relax and read a good book?"

While Mihoshi was totally clueless of what was being said, Kiyone kept the charade going as she finally began to see what the captain was getting at.

"Hmmm…reading huh? What kind of book do you suggest then?"

"I always been fond of mysteries since I can remember. Perhaps you'll find a mystery that will be to your liking."

"I see sir. Well thanks for the tip. I believe that Mihoshi and myself will take that leave of absence. The time off will definitely help us to get some things in order." Kiyone winked back at Nobeyama to let him know she understood everything.

"I'm glad that you girls agree with me. I'll fill out the necessary forms for your absence and I hope that the both of you find whatever it is that will help you out. One thing though, should you get into any trouble while on leave I won't be able to help you out as much I would like to, catch my drift?"

"Understood sir and thank you once again." Confirmed Kiyone as both girls stood up and saluted back to Nobeyama. As they headed out towards the door, Mihoshi still had a question.

"Uh captain?"

"Yes Mihoshi?"

"I'm not into mystery novels. Do you have any other ideas?"

Nobeyama almost fell out of his chair in disbelief as Kiyone grabbed the blonde ditz and dragged her out of the captain's office.

As Nobeyama got to dust himself off, he whispered a slight condolence to his favorite officer, "May the Gods help you Kiyone. I don't know whether you should be afraid of the person responsible for your friend's framing or your partner…"

****************************************

She had been walking for hours now in a dense forest, barely being able to see anything with so little sunlight coming through. She would have liked to fly her way around, but with so many trees and branches growing all around her, she'd probably smack her head into one.

As Ryoko made her way past an old Sakura tree, she just happened to notice that she was wearing her black and red battle suit. She didn't remembered putting it on, just as she didn't remembered how she ended up in this forest, but she sensed that she had been in a fight recently and that it wasn't yet over by a long shot.

Suddenly the sound of energy sparks crackling in the air got her attention. As she turned around, she was almost surrounded by a half dozen Juraian soldiers with their battle staves, ready to pounce on her at a moment's notice. She instinctively formed her red light sword and swiftly lunged herself at the armored men.

With devastating quickness and speed, she slashed the soldier's staves and armor before they had time to react. As she picked off every soldier one by one, a young looking commando tried to fire an energy discharge directly at her, but Ryoko instantly fired her energy ball at the soldier and the close proximity of the discharge from both weapons ripped the soldier to shreds.

As the cyan pirate hovered above the battered bodies of her attackers, laser fire was being directed at her. This time the Juraian military was sending more troops to capture or maybe kill her, but she wasn't going to wait around for them.

<I don't know what the hell's going on, but I'm not standing here to find out. > Ryoko told herself as she decided to fly through the forest and hopefully lose her pursuers through the density of the green foliage. As she made through, their laser fire were getting closer and more accurate. She could stop and counter attack, but with so many obstacles to fight through, one of the soldiers might get lucky and nail her. <Let me keep going, there's got to be a way out of here! >

She ran, jumped and flew her way through the forest in what had seems for hours. When she felt that she had lost her attackers, they came charging out from the woods, firing their laser rifles with absolute force. Ryoko was starting to get tired until she saw a patch of sunlight emitting from the far end of the forest. From there she noticed that the foliage was starting to be less dense and realized that she must be close to the edge of the forest.

As she tried to estimate how far she needed to go, a laser shot nicked her in her right arm. After feeling a surge of pain and seeing blood trickling down the side of her arm, she turned around and saw at least twenty Juraian commandos aiming their rifles at her. That was the last straw; if she wasn't going to make it out then she vowed to take a many as these cretins with her as she could.

"You want a piece of me, a piece of Ryoko the Space Pirate? Then come and get me you bastards! AARRGGHH!!!" With such a ferocity rarely seen by anyone, Ryoko dove into the group of soldiers and tore into them, piece by piece. One was decapitated; another was sliced opened from the throat down to his navel. It's been a long time that Ryoko had to use such brutal force, but it was either they or she and the cyan haired warrior wasn't going to meekly surrender her life to a bunch of military thugs.

She flew up towards a large oak tree and as she floated behind it's thick wide trunk, she counted about ten soldiers to be still alive.

Since they so happened to be bunched together; to protect their flanks she imagined, an idea popped into her head.

<Think I'll drop them a carding card. A VERY BIG calling card! Ha-ha! > Using brute force, the pirate rammed herself several times into the old oak tree as the men began firing on their intended target. Unfortunately for them, they waited too long to retreat as the tree became uprooted and came crashing down on top of them.

Ryoko hid behind another tree until the dust cleared and waited to see if anyone had survived. After several minutes, she floated over and saw the remaining soldiers crushed underneath the old tree. She felt somewhat remorse since she didn't want to actually kill these men, but they left her no choice.

Since she sensed no other pursuers, Ryoko continued on through until she saw a clearing. As she finally stepped out from the shadows of the dark forest, she saw a house about a kilometer away. It was then she realized that it was the Masaki house and waiting by the porch was Tenchi, dressed in his black school uniform.

"TENCHI!! TENCHI!! Over here!" Ryoko kept screaming as she finally got the young prince's attention. When he finally saw her, he waved to the cyan girl, urging her to come over to him. Without hesitation, she shot herself into the air and flew over to the house, seeing that Tenchi had his arms stretched out as if to welcome her back in a loving embrace.

Just as Ryoko was beginning her descent, a crackle of electricity flashed before her eyes and suddenly she became entrapped in the same force field that the Juraian cruiser had placed around the house. She tried to stop herself, but it was too late. Like a fly caught in a spider web, Ryoko was engulfed in the energy barrier and all she can hear was her own agonizing screams as she felt her flesh being seared by the energy field…

"TEEENNNCCHHHIIII!!!!!" Ryoko screamed out as she jolted up from her bed in the sick bay of the Saibankan. Her body covered in sweat as she tried to shake herself out of her foggy haze. She realized that she must have been having a nightmare. She checked herself to see if she was still dreaming until she heard a familiar voice.

"Ryoko, thank heavens you're awake!" Ryoko turned sideways as she saw Tenchi getting up from a metal chair near the end of her bed. As she surveyed the room, she knew that she wasn't home on Earth, but rather a military ship. She noticed that she was wearing a light blue nightgown instead of her blue and yellow striped dress the last time she was awake. As she tried to get her bearings, Tenchi sat on the bed besides his cyan beauty, taking her left hand and holding it firmly.

"T-Tenchi, what happened to me? How did I get here?"

"Don't you remember Ryoko? You tried to escape from the soldiers and flew into their force field. If Azaka didn't ordered the captain to shut down the field, you would've been killed."

Try as she might, Ryoko could only recall blurry moments at best. It seems that the sudden shock of the force field rattled her memory so much that she could only remember bits and pieces of her last waking moments. What was disturbing her greatly was the nightmare she just woke up from. Then her body started to shake uncontrollably as she recalled how the energy was coursing through her body, every fiber of her being feeling like it was on fire.

Instinctively she leaned back towards the headboard, pushing her legs up to her chest as she wailed from the memory of the pain she experienced. Tenchi was startled at first, but grabbed her by the arms, telling her that it was over and that he wasn't going to leave her side.

"Ryoko, calm down! You're safe now and nobody's going to hurt you." Tenchi embraced the pirate and cradled her into his arms. Ryoko stopped shaking for the moment, but quietly kept sobbing into Tenchi's chest. Slowly she relaxed as she started to hear the beating of the boy's heart. For some reason the constant rhythm she heard was comforting, as if the sounds were telling that everything was going to be all right. The firm reassurance from his calm voice helped as well.

"I-I'm sorry Tenchi…I just feel so disoriented right now." She once again looked around her surroundings to get a feel of things.

"This is some sort of sick bay isn't it?"

"Yes it is. The ship's doctor is in another room right now. The captain of the ship decided that it was best to keep you isolated from the rest of the crew, but I notified him that I wasn't going to leave you alone with the medical staff under any circumstances."

"Then that means we're on a battle cruiser aren't we?"

"Yes we are, we're halfway to Jurai right now…"

"Whoa, wait a minute! Back up a second. Did you say we're on our way to Jurai? What the hell for and why did these soldiers attacked me?"

Tenchi wanted to avoid this conversation since he knew what was about to happen next, but he felt that it was better that she heard from him first before someone else did.

"Ryoko…I really hate to say this and I still can't believe it either, but you're being taken to Jurai for the assassination of the Finance Minister Lord Braga."

"WHAT?!? Are you crazy?? Whatever gave them the idea that I killed some noble?"

"There was a surveillance camera hovering at the crime scene during the incident and it captured footage of you leaving the tavern where Braga was killed. You were with a man as you left the place." Tenchi's face winced with disgust as he earlier recalled the holographic images with Ayeka and Yosho in the princess' royal quarters. Seeing the images of his love with that loathsome individual made him sick to his stomach, but what really made him jealous was the fact the footage showed Ryoko laughing the whole time. Was she really there? If she was, did she remember what she did and worst, did she enjoyed being in the company of that degenerate pirate? These were questions that kept gnawing at Tenchi's as he saw the evidence against Ryoko. As much as he loved her, He couldn't be sure if she was somehow involved with this.

The sullen expression on Tenchi's face didn't escaped Ryoko's golden eyes. In her heart, she knew that she didn't commit any such act, or did she? There was a gap in her memory and for at least one week she couldn't remember where she was. Such a long gap in time could only have meant that she could have been anywhere in the galaxy and not know it. Doubts about her whereabouts slowly crept into her mind.

"Tenchi. I know this may look bad, but you have to believe me, I did not kill that Juraian lord. Why should I? I didn't know him and as far I recall, I wasn't even near Xeria when I woke up in Ryo-oki."

"But Ryoko, with your memory loss, can you honestly say that you weren't involved with the murder or that other pirate?" Ryoko sensed the mock tone in Tenchi's voice. If she didn't know better, he was more upset that she might have been with another man than the murder itself.

"I know in my heart that I didn't kill anybody Tenchi and I have no clue about being with another pirate at the time. Does this man have a name?"

"Azaka said that he was identified as Yataka…"

"Yataka…that skinny ass dimwit? Yeah I know him, stupidest pirate to ever set my eyes upon in this galaxy. The fool couldn't hold up a bank if they open the door for him and gave him the keys to the vault."

"So you do know him?" Tenchi asked.

"Unfortunately yes. He wanted to join up with me to pull a heist in the Aries system about ten years ago. The guy was so sloppy and annoying that when we broke into the Galactic Reserved Bank on Aries three, I hog-tied him and left him there for the cops. I did most of the planning so I thought it was fair to leave him there as a scapegoat."

"So there was nothing between the two of…"

"Whoa, wait a minute there…you aren't implying that me and Yataka were…Tenchi how could you?" The mere thought that her love would consider such a thought made Ryoko turn a few shades of red.

"I'm just telling you what I saw Ryoko. What do you think the courts in Jurai will be thinking when they show the video as evidence?"

"Evidence? Courts? Are you telling me that Jurai's going to put me on trial for Braga's murder? It can't be true! Tenchi, please tell me you messing with me right? Tell me that this is some sick joke you and Ayeka are playing on me."

Tenchi grabbed her hand and held it firmly once more as he tried to convey his worst fears on the cyan haired woman. "I wish that this a joke Ryoko, but the truth is that the Jurai Ministry of Justice wants to try the killer and the evidence points to you."

Ryoko's drew a blank stare as she tried to weigh the possible consequences that involved this mess. She wasn't well versed in Juraian laws, but she knew well enough of what would happen to her if they convicted her for Braga's death.

"Tenchi, they execute people for crimes like this. How could you let them take me away? Didn't you tried to defend me? Couldn't you save me from all this? Why Tenchi, why?" The realization that she might be executed for the murder had made Ryoko suddenly jumpy. That and the notion that Tenchi didn't help her out was making her more upset. She bounced off the bed and made a dash towards the door, only to be stopped by the young prince.

"Get outta my way Tenchi! I'm not letting these idiots take me to Jurai for my funeral…"

"Ryoko, try to listen to me. There was no other option for us but to go to Jurai and clear your name…"

"You could of tried to help me escape from those commandos instead of merely escorting me to my death." Ryoko scowled back at Tenchi, as he knew that once awake, Ryoko was going to be hard to handle. As he continued to block her way to the door, the pirate kept screaming out her accusations of betrayal from her friends, particularly a certain princess.

"And where's Ayeka? I'll bet she's enjoying all this isn't she? Seeing me in jail or killed off would give her the opportunity to keep you all to herself! Yeah, I can see it right now, that spoiled bitch laughing at my misery…"

"Ryoko stop it! You're talking nonsense so cut it out!"

"Yeah, nonsense my ass! I go to Jurai, get strapped to a chair while you and the prissy princess plan your honeymoon on some secluded planet somewhere while I rot in hell!"

It was obvious to Tenchi that Ryoko was incoherent and really losing it with the long coma she was in, plus this sudden news of her possible execution was driving her over the edge. As she kept struggling to the door, Tenchi stood his ground and refused to budge in inch.

"Ryoko, I know you're upset and angry, but understand what you're saying. You're talking out of fear and no one here is trying to put you away, especially Ayeka. She's been sick with worry about you so please calm down."

"I won't calm down and if you don't want to help me, then get the hell out of my way!" As she tried to circle around him, Tenchi lunged at Ryoko and placed her in a bear hug. The pirate screamed and kicked her legs wildly, trying to make Tenchi let go, but despite the pain she was inflicting on his legs Tenchi wasn't releasing her.

"If you want to get out Ryoko then you'll have to go through me first!" Ryoko let out a primal scream as she kept trying to break loose, but in her weakened state, she just couldn't get free. She thought about using her powers to teleport, but when she did, nothing happened.

"What's happening to me? Why can't I teleport?"

The captain remembered the last time they came to Earth and implanted the room with a neutralizing device that's cancels out your powers just as the jail cells do." Tenchi answered as he tried to nudge the half crazed pirate back to her bed. "Please stop fighting with me Ryoko, I don't want to hurt you."

"Let me go! Please Tenchi I beg you, I can't go to Jurai, I just can't. YEEAAAHHH!" She screamed out once more in her last futile attempt to free herself from her prison. As Tenchi dragged her back to the medical bed, two armed guards entered the room.

"Is everything all right my prince? We heard screaming and came as soon as possible…"

"E-Everything's fine. She just woke up and is a little disoriented, that's all." Tenchi waved to the guards, motioning them to leave. With both men waiting outside the sick bay, he picked up the now listless Ryoko and placed her back on the bed. As he gently laid her down and covered her up with the dull light green bed sheets, he saw the defeated look on her face. If he had the power in the universe to save her from this torment he would, but he couldn't and seeing the sad expression was slowly killing him inside.

"T-Tenchi?" Ryoko sadly whispered out to him, "I-I'm sorry. Please don't leave me…I'm so scared. I-I-I didn't do this…you have to believe me. Please I beg you, don't forsake me."

"Forsake you? Ryoko, I've been at your side since you got hurt. I'm never going to leave your side until this is over…"

"But the evidence against me…"

"Doesn't matter what the video showed. Ryoko, I know you're capable of many things, but killing someone in cold blood isn't one of them. Yes Ryoko I believe in you and you know why? Because of all the people I've encountered in my life, you are the most honest soul I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I don't know what happened to you out there, but we will get to the bottom of this and then go home together."

Ryoko managed to flash a smile at her love. It felt good to hear that he had been staying by her side since her injury and took great comfort knowing that Tenchi did believe in her. Whatever obstacles she had to face, Ryoko knew that she wasn't going to go through it alone.

"Tenchi? I'm sorry about what I said about you and Ayeka. I'm not just feeling well and I'm pretty scared of what could happen…"

"You're just tired Ryoko. Just try to relax and get some sleep. I'll see if Sasami can get you something to eat later, ok?"

"That'll be great. Will you stay with me until I fall asleep?"

Tenchi smiled back Ryoko as he took her hand, merging their fingers together in gentle hold. "Like I said before Ryoko, I'm not leaving your side and heaven help the fool that tries to separate us. Besides, you still have to give me my graduation gift."

"Ryoko gave a perplexed look back at her favorite Juraian, "Tenchi, I hit you with the gift as I left the Earth. I don't have it with me."

Tenchi then whipped a white cloth from his back pocket and unveiled the chain bracelet in front of Ryoko. "I have it right here, but I think it's only fitting that you personally place it on my wrist when we get back to Earth. After all, this is my favorite present and you did buy it for me right?

A tear streamed out of Ryoko's right eye, as she couldn't believe that Tenchi was keeping the chain with him until she gave it to him in person and he really did liked it after all.

"Tenchi…I'm so happy to hear you say that. It means a lot to me…"

"There's a lot of things I need to say to you Ryoko, but now isn't the right time. Just get some rest and we'll talk later on and don't worry, I'll be right here sitting by your side."

"Thank you Tenchi…I starting…to feel…better all…already. Now I know…why I…love…you so…" Ryoko fell asleep before she had a chance to finish sentence, but Tenchi already knew what it was.

"And I love you my Ryoko, no matter what happens from now on…"

***************************************

"Docking Control, this is the GP Cruiser Yagami, awaiting clearance from docking bay, over?" Kiyone manned the controls as she requested to leave GP headquarters and begin their mission to clear Ryoko.

"Yagami, this is Docking Control, you have clearance for departure. Have a safe journey detective."

"Thank you control, Yagami out!" As Docking Control released the magnetic docking clamps on the red ship, Kiyone initiated port thrusters to veer away from headquarters and to move along forward at impulse power. As she sat on her pilot's chair waiting for 'com' panel to indicate the green light to go, Mihoshi entered the room with her usual variety of junk food to pass the time away.

"Mihoshi, didn't you just eat an hour ago? You know I'm not thrilled with you eating on the bridge since you have the tendency to not pay attention to the controls."

"Oh Kiyone, I'm not due to take over the controls from you for at least for another hour. Besides, we're not officially on duty so relax."

"I'm not going to relax until we get to the heart of this conspiracy Mihoshi. Someone either made Ryoko kill Lord Braga or impersonated her. We need to find out who it is. When I jump into hyperspace, establish a secure 'com' link to Washu. I figure by now she'd have some answers."

"You got it partner…"

After they reached several billion kilometers from HQ, Kiyone jumpstarted Yagami's engines and within seconds the ship disappeared into hyperspace. Mihoshi joyfully place a secured line on their outgoing message to Washu and within a few minutes the screen monitor flashed a sight that neither girls had expected to see…

"Hi girlfriends! How did your debriefing go? Found any clues?"

"Uh, not exactly Washu. Headquarters had initially had us under surveillance, fearing that we were involved with Ryoko, but they cleared us of any wrongdoing. Did you find anything useful on your end?"

"Well it took awhile, but I managed to extract some information from Ryoko's Memory. I'm filtering out the Ryo-oki's memories as we speak, but that's going to take some time."

Kiyone was glad to hear some good news for once, if Washu found any clues to this murder, there's hope for Ryoko yet.

"What did you find in Ryoko's memory Washu?"

"Well, it did confirm that she ended up on Trillian Prime and that she made contact with some of her old pirate buddies. There was one in particular that maybe you should check out. Ryoko called the guy Cullen and it looks like he had some dealings with Ryoko in the past."

"What kind of dealings we're talking about Washu?"

"The usual pirate stuff; robbing, fighting, gambling. From the looks of things, Ryoko may have had a thing for Cullen, but it didn't look like they went very far…"

"You think that this Cullen may have something to do with the homicide?"

"To be honest, I don't think so. From what I see from Ryoko memories, Cullen wasn't the type to double-cross her like that, but he may know who did…"

"Great Washu, Mihoshi and I are just a day away from you. We'll swing by and…"

"Forget about me Kiyone! Just go straight to Trillian Prime and find Cullen. I still need to do some research and the best thing for me to do is stay put. As long as we continue to contact each other with this secure channel, we'll do fine."

"Agreed. Just transmit the data on what you got and I'll project a course to the Trillian star system. Have you heard from Tenchi yet?"

"Nope, Nobuyuki's with me and I've been trying to reach them, but no luck. Guess we'll have wait until they reach Jurai."

Nobuyuki jumped in waving, "Hi Girls!"

"Hey Nobuyuki! How you holding up?"

"Well, all things considered, I'm doing pretty well thanks to Washu."

Mihoshi entered the conversation after opening up a bag of Drexelan potato chips, "I'm glad you're doing good father, uh Washu? Can I ask you something?"

"Sure, go ahead…"

"Uh…why are you and Nobuyuki wearing those black fedoras and trench coats? Are you cold or something?"

Both the red head and black haired man smiled sheepishly, but Washu was ready for a comebacker, "We're trying to solve a mysterious homicide here and since we're searching for clues, I felt that I needed to dress the part. Nobuyuki joined in for support."

Kiyone shook her head in disbelief, but then again, it's Washu she was talking to, "Well, whatever helps you Washu, you're the genius…"

"Yes I am a genius, aren't I? Heh-Heh!!" As if on cue, the two chibi-Washus popped up next to their creator, each also wearing a fedora and trench coat. "That's right! Washu is a genius, isn't that right Washu?" Chibi-Washu A said.

"Yeah, Sherlock Washu is at the case, YEEAAHH!!" Chibi-Washu B jumped in with the praises as well.

Both Police Officers, as well as Nobuyuki nearly fell face first when they saw the spectacle before them. After getting up and dusting themselves off, they returned to the task at hand.

"So here's the plan Washu. While you gather more clues, Mihoshi and I will find this Cullen and if things work out, we'll head the planet Xeria next. I'm sure that we'll find something that can shed light on this." Kiyone figured.

"You might be right, but time is at the essence. Once Ryoko sets foot on Jurai, the government will try to go for swift trial and conviction. Unless Katsuhito and Ayeka can delay them, we need to this fast and quick."

"I concur. Datastream completed and uploaded. Well Washu, we're keep this channel open so call us if anything happens at your end ok?"

"Will do Kiyone and any data you retrieve, just transmit them back to me so I can do an complete analysis, got it?

"Roger that Washu. Take care you guys and we'll see you soon."

"Goodbye Washu! Goodbye father! Don't forget to tape my Space Police, Police Man for me OK?"

"MIHOSHI!! Just forget about that damn show and set a course for the Trillian system willya?"

"Sure Kiyone, but I'm gonna miss my show…"

"You'll catch them on the reruns, now move it!"

"Gotcha Kiyone! Course set for sector 57, the Trillian system. Waiting for course adjustment."

Kiyone gave one last wave to the red haired scientist before the screen returned to normal space viewing. She finally gave the orders to change course, "Course laid in and engage!"

Yagami quickly reversed its engines and changed its course to Trillian Prime. Inside, a sense of hope entered the heart of Officer Kiyone. There were so many things that needed to change the tide of bad luck that had hit this family, but for the first time there was the possibility that the person responsible for Ryoko's predicament will be found.

**************************************

Elsewhere, another ship was secretly en route for Trillian Prime. The occupants inside the black and silver contour shaped vessel were receiving an important communiqué from their employer.

"Osaka! Can you read me, over?"

"Yeah boss, we're receiving your transmission. What's our next assignment?"

"Continue your present course to Trillian Prime. I have a feeling that certain GP Police Officers will be paying a visit very soon. You need to get there first and tie up any loose ends before they show up, got it?"

"Understood, but what about our collaborator on the planet? He helped us with getting Ryoko, what do me and Oto do about him?"

The voice of the mastermind chuckled when the question came over, and then chuckled back over the line as the order was given.

"What do think you fool? Eliminate him and anybody else that decide to get in our way, understood?"

"Roger, we'll take care of it boss. Osaka out!"

As the underlings signed off, the mysterious assassin sat back on a plush black leather chair and let out a sadistically evil laugh.

"You're mine now Ryoko and if your friends stick their necks out for you, I'm going to enjoy in picking them off one at a time, especially that Masaki boy. HA-HA-HA-HA!!

**************************************

END CHAPTER SIX

A/N:

I think I understand why Nobuyuki doesn't get that much in story material; it's a pain to keep typing his name over and over. lol.

COMMENTS FROM LAST CHAPTER:

Bobr: Like the hat scene Bob? Thought you would.

Thundergod: Funny you mentioned "the damn ifs", because after the last chapter, I realized I left a lot of clues out there that even I don't know what's going to happen yet. Perhaps I shall consult with the Norns and petition a glimpse or two into the future. The fates can be cruel at times.

My thanks to LedZepFan for his editorial hindsight. I hope I'm getting better.

As always, your reviews are appreciated. If you want a more elaborate explanation, you can email me at a.falc@verizon.net

Later, alighthawk