Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ The Trial ❯ “Looking at a Mystery” ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*Disclaimer: The main characters in this story are property of AIC, Pioneer, & Viz Comics. All the other characters were created by me, so any similarities are just dumb luck so please don't sue me.

** Author's notes: This story takes place about a year after "Tenchi Forever" in which it follows the "Tenchi Universe" storyline, though some names and places from the OAV and manga might appear. C & C is welcomed, but remember, this is my first fanfic, so easy on the flame throwing!

The Trial: by alighthawk

Chapter Seven - "Looking at a Mystery"

Trillian Prime…the fourth planet of the Trillian Star System that was about 200 light years from the Earth. A former penal colony of the Galaxy Police, the former inmates of the planet were granted autonomy over 200 years ago when the GP higher ups decided that maintaining a prison planet was too much of a drain on their resources. Therefore it was decided that the lesser serious felons could remain and establish their own society, provided that no major disobedience or uprising occurred.

Within several decades, a pre-warp society was developed as interplanetary trade and commerce became the main source of revenue for the planet's survival. While the GP left the former prisoners to set up their own laws and policing, an orbital security network was created in order to prevent any potential or future hostilities. Within 100 years, the government had proven to be so successful that the orbital network was removed and the Trillians were allowed to conduct their affairs without any further interference. That's when the space pirates made their way into the system and established their own underground network of trade and commerce. The idea was that any pirate could come in and do business on Trillian Prime as long as they kept a low profile and not draw attention to the local authorities, otherwise they would have to donate some of their 'booty' in order to be left alone and to continue to do business on the planet.

Very few pirates had the luxury of staying on Trillian Prime and freely did whatever they wanted to do. Legend had it that thirty years ago a lone pirate ventured into the capital city of Odesso and without warning was attacked by a gang of outlaws who thought the pirate's stolen possessions was ripe for the taking. The gang of twenty men was wiped out within a few hours, some never to be seen again. The legendary pirate in question was Ryoko and whether the story of the battle was true or not, nobody dared to cross the golden eye beauty whenever she traveled to Trillian Prime until recently…

**************************************

"Engaging inertia dampers…gate sequencers activated. Hyperspace portal opening up to normal space…what's the ship's readings say Mihoshi?"

"Confirming sensor scans…we are entering the Trillian star system. We're about a billion kilometers from Trillian Prime Kiyone, we should be there in 10 minutes…"

"Good, establish an orbital lock once we get there and start scanning the local satellite network so we can start searching for our suspect." Officer Kiyone instructed her partner as she stood up from her pilot's black vinyl chair and leaned over to find the radio frequency of Washu's contact signal.

The teal haired police officer and her blonde sidekick had traveled almost two days to get to the aqua green planet in order to find the man who might hold the key to Ryoko's memory loss and possible involvement with the murder of Lord Braga. Washu had managed to pluck out the information from Ryoko's subconscious when she returned from her two-week jaunt across the galaxy after her fight with Tenchi. Despite remembering her trip to Trillian Prime with Ryo-oki, she couldn't remember anything in the last week she was gone and neither did Ryo-oki. After the Jurai military took the Masaki clan away to Jurai for Ryoko's trial, Washu finally managed to analyze some of the data and the name that stuck out was a man called Cullen…

"Low orbital path established. I'm having Yagami orbiting around the planet's Polar Regions if that's all right with you Kiyone…"

"That's good Mihoshi! The local authorities shouldn't be able to pick us up since the planet's magnetic field will camouflage Yagami's warp signature." Kiyone was glad for once that her partner did something on her own initiative rather than asking for instructions every five minutes or look clueless.

"So what do we do now partner?" Mihoshi asked as she dipped into her uniform pockets and pulled out a bag of peanuts to snack on.

"Let me contact Washu for any updates and then we're going down to find this Cullen person." Kiyone replied.

The blue-eyed detective then stroked several keys on the communication console and within seconds, a familiar red head appeared on Yagami's monitor.

"Hey guys! Did you get there yet?" Washu asked as she was sitting on her floating chair.

"Just a few minutes ago Washu. Anything new on your end?"

"Yep, I finally completed my analysis Ryo-oki's memory and it appears that our furry little cabbit was 'doped up' as Ryoko was…"

"What do mean they were 'doped up' Washu?" Mihoshi jumped in, curious to hear what the little mad scientist had found.

"Well, from what I have been able to piece together, it appears that Ryoko and Ryo-oki were drugged about three days before Braga's assassination. From the information I gathered from Ryoko's memory, she was at a tavern having a drink when she blacked out.

"But you didn't pick up any traces of an sleep-inducing agent in Ryoko's body did you?" Kiyone asked as she had Yagami's computers download the information Washu's was sending through the datastream.

"No I didn't, but that was because this took place more than three days before Ryoko came back to Earth so the agent could have worn off and my scanning devices wouldn't have picked it up at the time. However, Ryo-oki's memories had shown that she was in an area just outside the city of Odesso and managed to rummage through a carrot field that she discovered. She must have chowed down at least half the field before passing out…"

"But Washu, what's the big deal with the carrot field? She might have been drugged up elsewhere…"

"Normally I would agree with you Kiyone, but having a carrot field growing on Trillian soil is impossible since carrots aren't indigenous to Trillian Prime. The soil is not compatible with certain vegetation so in order to grow carrots…"

"Somebody would have to import the type of soil that could sustain the carrots, which means somebody went out of their way to set up that field for Ryo-oki…"

"That's right detective. They knew that it was the one way of getting her guard down since Ryo-oki can't resist carrots." Washu smiled slightly since she now has some ideas of went wrong with Ryoko and her ship.

"But that doesn't explain how she ended up in her ship form Washu. Doesn't Ryo-oki have to be awake in order to transform?"

"That's the part I'm trying to figure out Kiyone, but since Ryo-oki doesn't remember how she changed into a ship, I'm going to have to hack into the Science Academy's database and see if they have any information that might lend us a hand. Ryo-oki's lifeform is not like the average cat or dog you know."

"Data stream completed. Transferring information into tracking cubes. We're all set to go Kiyone." Mihoshi told her partner, but forgotten one minor detail…

"Mihoshi, we got to change into civilian clothing first before we land on the planet. If we're seen in our GP uniforms, nobody will want to talk to us."

"But I thought we're on the job here Kiyone…"

"We are you bubblehead, but unofficially! Don't you remember what Captain Nobeyama said? We are not allowed to be involved with this case since headquarters considers our friendship with Ryoko a conflict of interest. If we get caught or start a raucous because of our position as police officers, we'd both be up shit's creek!" The teal haired beauty proclaimed as she tried in vain to convey the importance of being anonymous to her ditzy blonde partner.

"Oh great! I can try that new pink blouse I bought last month. Do you know if it's cold down there Kiyone? Maybe I should bring a sweater or something or maybe I can…"

"Can it Mihoshi! This is not a fashion tour we're taking. Just wear something that's not so conspicuous all right?"

"Ok, if you say so Kiyone, but I was really looking forward to wearing that blouse. Sasami said that it would look great with the pair of shoes I bought…"

"MIHOSHI! Just change your clothes willya?!?" Kiyone yelled at her partner as veins were starting to appear at the side of her head.

Washu sat there on her floating seat Indian style. While she found the verbal exchange between the two detectives amusing, she really hoped that the girls could get their act together and find this Cullen person. The longer they delayed in finding whatever evidence was needed to help prove Ryoko's innocence, the greater the possibility that the space pirate may be executed.

< We're running out of time…by tomorrow, the gang will be on Jurai and more than likely the officials will try to parade around Ryoko like a convicted serial killer. Ayeka will have a say in this, but even she can't go against her people wishes unless she wants to incite a riot. > Washu was deep in thought as she tried to imagine the possible scenarios that can happen on Jurai, but they almost end up the same…Ryoko being convicted and the true killer remaining free.

"Washu? Hey Washu! Did you hear what I said?" Yelled Kiyone through the video monitor as she tried to snap the little scientist out of her daydream.

"Huh? Oh…sorry about that Kiyone, what did you say?"

<Grrr…I thought Mihoshi was the only absent minded one in the group…> Kiyone sighed to herself as she took both sensor cubes and placed them into two rust colored knapsacks. All she needed to do now was to change her clothing and quietly land Yagami outside the city limits of Odesso as to not have the locals detect them.

"Ok Washu, once we land and find Cullen, we'll relay any information that comes up. I set the com link on Yagami to relay any messages that you send us so we'll be in constant contact."

"Great, once I manage to get in touch with Tenchi or Ayeka, I'll let you know immediately! Well if that's everything, I wish you guys luck and hopefully find some answers to our mystery." Replied Washu and she flashed a small smile at the teal haired beauty.

"Same here Washu…let's hope we can find something to help out Ryoko. I don't want to even imagine what will happen she's convicted…"

"I ain't worry about it girlfriend…just get the bad guy! Washu out." The screen went dark as the communiqué between the women was disconnected. Kiyone had her concerns about the whole thing, but she's been around Washu long enough to know that little red head was more worried about Ryoko than she let on. As the detective began to steer Yagami into the planet's atmosphere, Mihoshi return to the bridge in her civies.

"Aren't you going to change Kiyone?"

"Yeah, but let me land Yagami first and while you're up, go to the supply closet and pull out our GP issued windbreakers would you?"

Mihoshi shrugged her head as she opened up the closet and pulled out two navy blue colored hooded windbreakers. Kiyone thought she needed to conceal whatever equipment didn't fit into the knapsacks. She then instructed the blonde officer to rip out the GP insignias as to not alert any suspicious pirates that might be hanging out in Odesso. As Yagami hovered over the sparse grassland that was 10 kilometers away from the city, Kiyone switched places with her partner as she headed towards her quarters to change.

"Ok Mihoshi, once you set down Yagami meet me at the cargo bay and we'll take the hovercraft to Odesso and don't forget the knapsacks got it?"

"Got it…uh Kiyone?"

"What is it now Mihoshi?" Kiyone answered as she started to look annoyed, but then she saw the sullen look on Mihoshi's face. Normally Mihoshi would always have a happy expression regardless of the situation, but this time she had that look that even Kiyone couldn't ignore.

"Mihoshi, are you okay?"

"I was just thinking Kiyone…what if we couldn't find this man? What if we don't make it to Jurai in time? W-what if…what if Ryoko get convicted and…and dies?" * Sniff *

Mihoshi sat down on the pilot's seat and started to cry. Ryoko may have been rough with her from time to time, but deep down she knew that they were friends, if not family. The thought of seeing her friend executed and leaving Tenchi alone was too much for Mihoshi to take in.

Kiyone, in a rare moment of compassion, went over to her friend and wrapped her arms around her, trying to find the words that would comfort her friend.

"Hey, hey, hey…take it easy partner. We've been through this before and we always got out of it with flying colors. We're gonna find this guy and get what we need. Then we're going to Jurai and help out Ryoko any way we can got it?"

Kiyone pulled back from Mihoshi so she could see her best friend perk up again. While in a million years she may never understand their relationship, the dark haired detective did admitted to herself that she cared for the blonde even when at times she wanted to strangle her.

"I'm sorry Kiyone…it's just I'm so afraid of what could happen…"

"Mihoshi, try not to think about it all right? I promise that we'll find the bastard responsible for this and bring him to justice, or at the very least leave him to Ryoko's tender mercies when she gets out." Kiyone smirked at the thought of a very rancorous space pirate taking out her anger at the fool who set her up.

All at once the blonde police officer bounced up from the chair and resumed her bubbly ways.

"Ok Kiyone, guess we better get going or we'll never find that guy laying around here right?"

"You got it partner! I'll see you at the cargo bay in ten minutes." Kiyone answered as she gave Mihoshi the 'thumbs up' sign and headed to her quarters. Mihoshi stood there, happy in thought, until she realized that she had to do something with Yagami, <Now what was it that I had to do again? > The bubbly blonde asked herself while scratching her head. Some things just don't change…

************************************

"Now let's see…the spectrum analysis from the video surveillance indicates that the person standing before the crowd is Ryoko, but there's something about the way she's standing there that doesn't look right…DAMN IT, what is it?!?" Washu repeatedly screamed at herself as she labored through the data she collected from Ryoko, Ryo-oki and the videodisc that Azaka presented to her. So far, the results have been less than fruitful, <Enough of this! I need to concentrate at the task at hand. I figured out what happened to Ryoko and Ryo-oki, but still haven't got a clue as to how they ended up in space…>

"Shit, I'm the greatest genius in the entire universe and this thing is stumping me! WHY?!?"

Washu had spent hours upon hours in her lab trying to ascertain any evidence that could clear Ryoko's name and maybe identify the assailant of Lord Braga's assassination, but the results have been slow and the lack of sleep and stress was starting to show on the little genius' face. She slammed her hands on the large metallic machine, causing the lights on the console to fluctuate and her holographic keypad to phased out. She knew that the answers lied in that videodisc, but the question was where to start. As she leaned back on her floating chair, trying to get her thoughts organized, a friendly face turned around the corner of the lab and greeted her.

"You ok there little Washu? I heard you screaming there for a second. I brought you some lunch if you're hungry…"

"Thanks Nobuyuki, that was thoughtful of you…care to join me?"

"Sure, why not? I just called the office and told them that I won't be returning to the firm for a few days more. Just thinking about Ryoko is upsetting enough as it is, but not being able to talk to Tenchi and Father is driving me crazy, why can't we contact them?"

Washu raised her left eyebrow, trying to fathom on why the Saibankan hadn't answered her hail. She could only surmise that the ship's captain was under orders not to contact nor answer anyone until they had reached Jurai. Her only question was whether Ayeka, Azaka or Lord Katsuhito was aware of it. Surely, they would have contacted her if they had any leads or maybe they were told that the ship was unable to communicate with her. Either way, everybody was being left in the dark and that wasn't good.

"I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation Nobuyuki, but I guess we'll have to wait until they reach Jurai." Washu answered Tenchi's dad as he passed Washu a bowl of miso soup and some greens. "This looks good pops, I see that you're getting comfy around the kitchen again…"

"Well, until Sasami gets back someone has to feed us, otherwise we'd starve, don't you think?" Nobuyuki smiled back at Washu as he adjusted his glasses. He's been so frustrated lately with not being able to know what's happening to his family, but he took comfort knowing that he had someone like Washu to share his pain.

"Did you hear anything from Kiyone and Mihoshi?"

"Just an hour ago. They reached Trillian Prime and are now starting to look for the guy in Ryoko's memory. I just hope this Cullen fellow has the answers we're looking for…"

"You think this Cullen guy had something to do with the murder Washu?"

"If you're asking me if this man set up Ryoko, my answer is no. From what I gathered from her memories, they both knew each other for long time and it looks to me that Ryoko may have had feelings for this guy."

"Feelings? You mean those two were 'involved' with each other?"

"Don't worry about it 'dad', the feelings I'm talking about are those who were comrades for a long time, a pirate bonding so to speak.

I doubt that Ryoko would have come back to Tenchi if she loved this guy."

"Well, that's a relief I guess. I'll leave you to your investigation little Washu, I have to tend the garden now that Ayeka is away. Call me if you need anything…"

"I will and thanks for lunch again." Washu waved at Nobuyuki as he headed back towards the door as the little genius resumed her task of unlocking this mystery.

Nobuyuki stepped out towards the back of the house and grabbed his gardening gear as he tended to Ayeka's garden. Since their departure, the once lush floral garden was starting to be neglected until Tenchi's dad decided to make the time and care for it himself. The princess would be awfully sad if the garden wasn't properly cared for.

As he stretched out the green water hose and began spraying lightly on the different variety of flowers, Nobuyuki kept thinking of how everyone was doing on the Juraian ship. His thoughts churning on how Tenchi must be going through, being unable to help the woman he loved or the princess who may have to make the most difficult decision of her young life. His thoughts then drifted on the image of Ryoko, the woman most responsible for making this household a lively place to live and who managed to win the heart of his son. As much as he adored the other girls, Nobuyuki was very happy to know that Tenchi had chosen the cyan beauty, even if it meant that he had to throw out some racy photos he took when Ryoko was at the onsen.

Nobuyuki looked up to the sky and started to say a silent prayer for everyone. Then he quietly spoke to the one person he missed the most…

"Oh dear Achika, I feel so helpless right now. I pray that you watch over our boy and our future daughter-in-law, they can be so happy together if given the chance. Please have our ancestors steer our family towards the right path and return them home safely.

I missed you so much dear wife, but seeing our son always reminded me of the wonderful time we shared together and knowing that he will have the same chance with Ryoko reassures me that our family will move on."

Nobuyuki then removed his glasses as he took his handkerchief from his pocket and wiped away the tears that were flowing freely from his eyes. Somehow, he knew that his long departed wife was watching over everyone and that all will be well…

**************************************

<Tomorrow we'll reach Jurai and I'll be home at last…> Princess Ayeka thought to herself as she looked out the window of her royal quarters and saw the stars twinkling by her as the Saibankan made her way through the various star systems in its goal to reach the planet Jurai. While on most occasions the return trip home would be a joyous one, the present circumstances had made it impossible.

Once she reached her home world, she knew that immediately the various groups of military officers and politicians would test her claim to the throne of Jurai; all willing to sway the people into believing that the Space Pirate Ryoko needed to be executed or else they would plunge the planet into civil war. As the time drew closer, the distressed princess wondered how did this ever come to pass? As she adjusted her sash on her teal colored kimono, someone knocked on the entrance door.

"Your highness? It's Azaka, may I enter?" Requested the loyal knight.

"Yes Azaka, please enter…any news from Washu?" The princess nervously asked since it's been almost a week and no one had heard from the diminutive scientist. The First Knight of Jurai didn't answered at first, but Ayeka could tell by the serious expression on his face that something was wrong.

"I have just came from the bridge and it appears that we were 'misinformed' about the radio situation…"

"What do you mean by that Azaka? Was the captain hiding something from us?"

"Well your highness, since we're less than a day from Jurai, the good captain has decided that now was a good time to tell us that the Justice Ministry had ordered him to remain in radio silence throughout the entire duration of our trip home. Their reasons were that if anyone knew that Ryoko was on this ship, they may want to attack it and kill her themselves, plus they were worried about your safety."

Ayeka stood up in total disbelief. How could the Ministry of Justice order such a thing without her knowledge and consent? She demanded answers…

"Azaka, am I to understand that the ministry felt that it was best to keep me in the dark about such matters? Am I suppose to stand here and believe that someone would want to attack a fleet of a dozen battle ships so they can try to take their revenge on Ryoko? What utter nonsense! What did the captain have to say for himself?"

"He was just following orders your highness…"

Ayeka's face was starting to grow red with anger. She swore that she would get to the bottom of this conspiracy when she arrived on Jurai. As for the captain…

"Azaka, remind me when this travesty is over with that I want the captain's command to be transfer another ship…"

"Any particular ship in mind your majesty?"

Ayeka paused for a second until a evil smirk came across her face, "Yes, I believe a garbage hauler would be most befitting for someone as fool hardy as our dear captain and make sure it's one of those delta type II ships…"

"But Princess Ayeka, those ships don't have warp drive nor hyperspace portal capabilities, it will takes months for them to travel across the Juraian star systems…"

"Do you think I'm being too harsh Azaka?"

"Actually, I think you're being very generous. I would of made him haul the garbage himself rather than commanding the ship, but you are Jurai's ruler." Azaka let out a hardy laugh as Ayeka smiled; noting how witty the knight could be when he's not so serious.

It was one of the few times that she was able to laugh or smile during this trip. Aside from the problems with Ryoko and her home planet, there was still the issue with Tenchi that needed to be dealt with as well. As she was coming to grips that she might had lost Tenchi to Ryoko, her heart still ached at the thought of the two of them together. It was this issue that might come into play if and when Ryoko was convicted for the killing of Lord Braga. She considered the cyan pirate her friend, but it doesn't make it easier that she lost Tenchi to her.

"Princess, are you all right? You seem lost in thought?" The loyal knight asked.

"Yes Azaka, I was just thinking about when we arrive on Jurai what kind of reception we will receive…"

"Not a friendly one I assure you. The other nobles and government officials will be courteous as always, but make no mistake your highness, they will be watching on how you will handle this crisis. Lord Yosho and I agree that it is imperative that you set the tone for these proceedings. Even though you cannot control the outcome of the trial, you can still dictate the pace of the situation before it escalates beyond your control."

Ayeka was pleased that Azaka had confidence in her abilities to handle the circus that was about to fall upon them at home, but she was still feeling anxious over the possibility of deciding over the life of her friend and rival. What would she do if the choice came down to upholding Ryoko's death sentence or feeling the wrath of her people who would feel betrayed by their own monarch? These were decisions that still had the purple haired princess suffering from within.

"Azaka, where is Lord Yosho? I thought that he would be conferring with us before we land on Jurai?"

"Lord Yosho is in his quarters meditating your highness. He wanted to clear his thoughts before beginning the task that lies before us. He will join us when he's ready…"

"I suppose that's a good thing. After all, he did help in writing almost half the laws on Jurai before he abdicated the throne. Perhaps I should do the same also since I been feeling out of sorts since we began this journey…"

"An excellent idea your majesty! By then your mind will be clear and…" * KNOCK KNOCK * …"Who is it?" Azaka yelled out.

"It's me Tenchi, came I come in?" The familiar voice requested from outside the princess' quarters.

"Tenchi? Uh…yes, do come in" Ayeka reluctantly answered as the doors slid open and the young Masaki entered in his usual brown jacket and jeans. From the look on his face, Ayeka could see how tired and worn out Tenchi looked from being at the injured Ryoko's side since the trip began.

Azaka also noticed the serious expression Tenchi's was wearing, as if something was on his mind and he was ready to tell the princess about it. The knight decided to excuse himself and tended to other matters that needed attention.

Ayeka motioned the young prince to sit down as she moved over to the end of her bed, feeling apprehensive of what's about to happen now. Tenchi had made it clear back on Earth that they needed to clear the air over certain things and that they will talk about it before they landed on Jurai. Tenchi kept his head down as he began the conversation…

"I hope that I wasn't interrupting anything just now Ayeka…"

"No Lord Tenchi, you weren't. Azaka was just giving me the status of our situation before we reach Jurai. How is Ryoko?"

"She's doing better…Sasami came by and brought her some dinner. She's staying with her until I get back…"

"You've been so good to her Lord Tenchi, I-I can see why she loves you so much." Ayeka turned away from Tenchi and stared out in the window, her heart starting to ache once more.

"That's why I'm here Ayeka. I know my timing is awful, but with this crisis hitting us I need to tell you this before things get more complicated." Tenchi paused for a moment, trying to find the right words that would do the least damage to his friend. He then stood up and took a few steps toward the princess who was now trying to brace herself for the bad news.

"Ayeka, please know that I cherish your friendship and I will care for you always. You're a special person and will always have a place in my heart…"

"Lord Tenchi…"

"But the truth is that I'm deeply in love with Ryoko. I've known this ever since the both of you rescued me from Haruna's spirit world, maybe even longer but I never had the courage to tell either of you how I felt." Tenchi stopped to regain his composure, he felt a tear starting to come out of his right eye as tried to continue his heart wrenching confession, "I'm so sorry that it took this horrible tragedy to make me realize that I was hurting everyone by not being forthright with my feelings. I understand the pressure that you're facing right now, but I needed to be honest with you before things got further out of hand."

Ayeka didn't say a word. She knew that this was coming, but it still wounded her to hear that the boy she loved for the last couple of years had chosen another. She tried her best to wipe away the tears that were streaking down on her cheeks as she kept staring out into the passing stars.

"I always suspected…no, I knew that when we came back from Tokyo, the situation between the three of us had changed. Those two times that I entered that dimension with Ryoko, you didn't as much acknowledged my presence. Haruna had you under her spell, but somehow the pirate had managed to reach you, waking you up from the dream as it were. That was why when Washu had told us that only one of us could go back to rescue you, I knew that Ryoko was the only one able to reach out and bring you back."

"Ayeka I…"

"Please Lord Tenchi, let me finish first…" Ayeka finally turned around and faced Tenchi. Her nerves were shot, her eyes reddened by the constant tear flow. She slowly walked up to him and grabbed his hand. "I knew then that you had chosen, even if you didn't know it yourself. However, since you never declared your love for Ryoko, I deluded myself into thinking that I could still win your heart and I willingly allowed the close bond that Ryoko and I had developed to crumble away."

Tenchi's face was sullen as he heard Ayeka baring her guilt and anguish out to him. He was feeling guilty himself for putting the girls through so much pain and grief, all because he couldn't make up his damn mind on telling them his feelings from the start.

"It's all my fault Ayeka, I shouldn't had let this go on for so long. I could've spared us all the pain we endured, especially after what happened at the party…"

"Yes Lord Tenchi, you are partly to blame for all of this…" Ayeka interrupted, "But I could have spared us some pain as well. I could have simply allowed you and Ryoko to find each other and not compete with her. I should have realize Lord Tenchi that you love all of us as your family and that no matter what the circumstances are, you will always be there for us as we are for you."

Tenchi started to cry again as he and Ayeka drew close to each other and gently embraced each other. It wasn't the kind of hug she craved for, but as she felt his strong arms wrapped around her quivering body, she drew comfort that finally they can both be honest with each other and move on knowing that a strong bond still existed between them. The princess could only hope now that her friendship with the cyan girl would survive as well.

Tenchi then drew back as he pulled out a tissue from his side pocket and offered it to the red-faced princess. He felt as if a ton of bricks were lifted off his shoulders now that the dark cloud of guilt had moved on.

"Are you ok about this Ayeka?"

"Y-Yes Lord Tenchi, I'm very relieved that the air has been cleared between us." Ayeka replied, but she still had a sullen look on her face. Tenchi knew that everything wasn't all right the princess.

"Ayeka, what's wrong? Are you still sad over Ryoko and me?"

"No…not that, but you do realize that if things don't work out in our favor I may be forced to decide whether to uphold the death penalty of Ryoko and risk civil war on my planet if the nobles and others were to incite the people. Where will you stand Lord Tenchi if I'm required to choose between my friend, the woman you love, or my kingdom? I cannot bear to make such a decision! How can you and the rest of the family bear to look at me if I were to make such a horrid choice? I-I don't know what to do…"

Ayeka started to cry again as Tenchi took his right hand and lifted Ayeka's face up so she can look at him directly into his eyes. She could never get enough of those warm, soft eyes of his.

"Ayeka…I cannot imagine how you're feeling right now, but know this…I will not forsake Ryoko. I pray that Washu, Kiyone and everyone else can help us find the person responsible for this and make them pay for what they did to Ryoko and for making you suffer like this, but if it gets to the point of seeing Ryoko being executed or war on Jurai, you have to follow what your heart tells you. As the leader of your people, you may have to make a difficult choice and whatever happens I will not hold it against you, but understand that I will do whatever it takes to see that Ryoko is not harmed, even if I have to take on the entire Jurai military. I will not return to Earth without Ryoko."

Ayeka was taken back by the firm tone of voice of Tenchi. It seems that it took the near death and possible execution of his love to mature Tenchi into a man. Despite the circumstances, she liked what she saw and gave her the hope that if Tenchi had the strength and confidence that everything would turn out all right. She prayed to Tsunami that everything would turn out well.

"I'm glad to know where you stand Lord Tenchi and I apologize for my pessimistic views. I will try to keep good thoughts and not worry about this upcoming trial. With everyone's help and a little miracle from Tsunami, we will overcome this dilemma and return safely back to Earth."

Tenchi smiled after hearing Ayeka's cheery words. "Glad to hear that princess. I'm happy that we had this time to air out our differences…"

"Indeed…by any chance, did you tell Ryoko yet?"

"Uh…no. I just haven't been able to find the right moment to tell her…"

"Lord Tenchi, if you took the time to tell me about your feelings…I think you can do the same for Ryoko. Once we arrive on Jurai, I can't guarantee that you'll be allowed to spend any time with her as much as you have here."

"I know that Ayeka, but it's just I still feel awful about what happened at the party and I want to be sure that when I do tell her, she knows that's it's coming from my heart and not out of pity. I don't want her to think that I'm spilling out my feelings to her thinking that I may never be able to be with her again. Can you understand where I'm coming from?" Tenchi asked as he scratched the back of his head, letting Ayeka knows that he's nervous about the subject.

"I cannot tell you what her reaction will be Lord Tenchi, but I know that unless you're honest with your feelings with Ryoko, it may be too late. I'm sure she's very frightened right now and the only source of comfort to her is you; telling her how much you love her will help her to cope with all this. It's the very least you can do for her so the sooner the better, don't you agree Lord Tenchi?"

The loving smile on Ayeka's face was all that Tenchi needed to see. She was right, Ryoko was in pain and despair and the only way she was going to get through this ordeal was for him to be honest and loving to her as much as he can. He just told his dearest friend about his feelings towards her so it was only fair that he finally bear his soul to the one person he cherished most in the universe.

"You're right Ayeka, it's time that I stop worrying about what could happen and just act on my feelings instead. Think I'll go to my quarters and get some rest before I face Ryoko." Tenchi said as gave the princess another hug. It felt kind of nice to do this without having to worry about sending the wrong message, but he made a mental note not to do this in front of Ryoko until they were squared away about their situation. Ayeka slightly blushed as the now affectionate Tenchi broke off their embrace.

"I'm very happy for you Lord Tenchi. Let's just hope that we all can reminisce about this when we return to the Earth. I think I shall follow your example and rest until Lord Yosho has completed his meditation."

"In that case, I'll talk to you later. Good night Ayeka…"

"Good night to you as well Lord Tenchi and good luck with Ryoko." Ayeka replied as saw closing the doors behind him. As she went over to her bed to turn over the blankets, she couldn't help but feel a sense of relief. Yes, Tenchi finally admitted that he didn't love her as she hoped he did and there are huge obstacles to overcome once they reached Jurai, but for the first time since this disaster had occurred, Ayeka felt a tinge of hope that somehow, everything would turn out all right.

As the sleepy princess took off her kimono as changed into her greenish-blue nightgown, she actually felt happy that Tenchi did choose at last and although it turned out to be her rival, the resentment and jealousy that always kept gnawing at Ayeka's soul wasn't there anymore. She knew now that she could be happy for her two closest friends and that someday, when this mess is over, she would move on and hopefully find that special someone that would make her life happy, as Tenchi would do for Ryoko…

***************************************

"Now don't forget where we parked Mihoshi, otherwise it's a long hike back to Yagami." Kiyone reminded her partner as they left their red colored PT Cruiser hovercraft in an open-air docking garage. The craft was GP standard issue when officers were traveling through different parts of the planets they were assigned to, but since this town was crawling with pirates, Kiyone felt it was best that they hide it for now and inquire about their target by foot.

"Wow! Odesso is a big city…you think we gonna be able to find Cullen Kiyone?" Mihoshi asked as she surveyed the area and saw nothing but gray and dust covered buildings that have been around for decades without much change.

"Well, we're not going to find him standing around like this. According to Washu's data, Ryoko and her comrades partied in several places during her time here. It would make sense that Cullen would be in one of those taverns so let's start with the nearest one…"

After walking around for a couple of hours, The GP duo finally found one of the locations listed in the database in their sensor cube. It was a rather dingy looking bar, which made Mihoshi cringed as she saw several drunken derelicts appearing to be passed out outside. Kiyone looked up and saw the soot covered name of the tavern: 'Outlaw Blues'.

<A perfect name for a place that Ryoko would run to and drink her sorrows away…why couldn't you be more careful pirate? Don't you know that whatever problems hits you, hits us as well? > Kiyone angrily thought to herself as she pulled out her cube and pressed a side button to flash a holographic mug shot of her quarry.

"Ok Mihoshi, here's the plan…You stay here and try to look normal as I go inside and see if I can get any info on this guy. If by any chance you see him coming or going, give me a holler, got it?"

"Got it, but what happens if he stops by and asks me a question?"

"What are you talking about Mihoshi?" Kiyone reluctantly asked.

"Aw well, y'know…like how's the drinks in here, what time is it or maybe even if I knew any places to eat and stuff like that. I really hope he doesn't ask because I'm really can't answer him…what do you think Kiyone?"

Kiyone had veins sticking out of her sides again, but composed herself before she decided to knock her partner out with a right hook…

"I say SHUT UP AND DO YOUR JOB YOU KNUCKLEHEAD!!! You wasting our time with your constant babbling, you know that?"

"I'm sorry…I just like to be helpful. I guess it's in my nature." The blonde ditz admitted.

"Grrr…well be helpful by hanging out here and watching out for Cullen all right?"

"Uh okay, if you say so…please be careful inside Kiyone, it looks kind of dangerous…"

"I will. Don't worry about it Mihoshi, I be right back before you know it." Answered the dark haired officer as she entered the dimly lit tavern.

The place was unusually quiet for a pirate hangout. Not too many patrons showed up to pay their respects to the establishment, which made Kiyone worried that her target wasn't going to be here. The blue-eyed detective made her way to the bar and waved to the bartender and ordered a drink. As the tall longhaired barkeep returned with her drink, Kiyone pulled out a picture of the suspect, something she printed out before leaving Yagami.

The picture showed Cullen to be a large burly man with long red hair, usually tied up from the back. His left eye was aqua blue while the other was jet black, most likely an artificial implant that would indicate that he lost his real eye in battle. He had a long moustache that filled out to his chin along with a patch of hair just under his lip. The most distinguishable mark he had on his face was a scar that ran from his left ear to his nostrils. Overall, he looked rugged, strong and pleasing to the eyes if one didn't mind the scar, or that's was Kiyone's opinion if she were ever interested in this type of man.

The barkeep studied the photo for about a minute, his left hand scratching his chin and as his right eyebrow rose up, he fired a question back at Kiyone…

"Before I answer your question missy, may I ask why?"

Kiyone quickly came up with an excuse before she blew her cover, "Well sir, I just blew into town and a friend of mine told me if I wanted to hook up with one of the better 'traders' on this planet, that I should ask for Cullen. Does that answer your question?"

"Almost missy, but I think your explanation plus twenty Galactic credits should answer my curiosity, don't you agree?"

Kiyone mumbled to herself as she pulled out a Galactic credit card and transferred the twenty credits into the smiling barkeep's transaction machine. After the device flashed a green light, indicating that the transaction was completed, the long dark haired man pointed towards the other side of the tavern as Kiyone strained her eyes and finally saw a large man sitting by himself, covered by the shadows as not to interrupt him as he seemed to be nursing his goblet of Trillian Ale.

Kiyone slowly approached the man, with her hidden right hand gently on her gun in case Cullen decided to be uncooperative. As she reached the edge of the table, Cullen lifted his head up and saw the beautiful girl that was in front of him. He sensed something was up, so he smiled and decided to play along…

"Hmm…now what's a pretty girl like you doing in a shithole like this?" Cullen playfully asked.

"Are you Cullen the pirate? I was told that you might be able to help me inquire some information on a mutual friend of ours…"

"Well pretty lady, I never seen you around here before and I know a lot of people who would like to call me 'friend' so you gonna have to be a bit more specific." Cullen flashed a sly smirk as his left hand went under the table and never moved. Kiyone had a feeling that he was planning to do something drastic if she didn't give a satisfactory answer.

"Well since you put it that way…do you know a woman by the name of Ryoko the space pirate? Cyan colored hair, golden eyes and has a cabbit for company? Maybe this picture would help?"

Cullen looked at the picture that Kiyone pulled out from her knapsack. It was Ryoko in one of her skimpy outfits carrying a portable plasma cannon. She usually used those when she did the high level risky heists that required the heavy equipment. The photo was taken when Ryoko robbed the Bank of Jurai five years before she met Tenchi and the rest of the girls.

As Kiyone pulled back the photo, Cullen quickly reached out and pulled his plasma gun, pointed at the detective's head. For some reason, she didn't flinched and remained calm as she continued to ask the nervous pirate some more questions.

"I take it that you know her. By any chance, you wouldn't happened to be the one that set her up for the murder of Lord Braga of Jurai did you?"

"I have the gun here lady. If anybody is going to ask the questions here, it's gonna be me. Now who the hell are you?!?"

"Take it easy! M-My name is Kiyone and I'm a friend of Ryoko's. I'm just here to find out what happened to her when she was on Trillian Prime a couple of weeks ago. A scientist friend of mine ran some data and your name popped up. She suspects that you had nothing to do with it, but you may have know who it is…"

Cullen kept pointing the gun at Kiyone, but the GP detective still didn't flinched. After a couple of minutes of silence, the red haired pirate pulled his weapon back and sat back on his chair; showing a concerned look on his face.

"I wish I can answer that question pretty lady, but the truth is I'm just as stumped as you are…" Cullen's face twisted in rage as he slammed his fist on the wooden table in frustration. "The night before she disappeared, Ryoko wanted to meet up with me at another tavern across town, but when I got there, she didn't showed up. I waited for a couple hours, but left thinking that she must have left for some reason. Shit, imagine to my surprise when I saw her face plastered all over Odesso when the Jurai government announced her capture for the murder of that Juraian Lord. I still can't believe it."

"So you don't think that Ryoko didn't commit that murder?" Kiyone inquired.

"I known that she-devil of a pirate for many years and she may be capable of doing many things, but killing a man in cold blood is not one of them. Ain't no fuckin' way Ryoko would butcher a man like that unless her life was in danger and that dear lady is a rarity."

Kiyone was happy to hear that someone other than the Masaki clan believed that Ryoko was innocent. However, since Cullen said that he didn't see the private before she left, she surmised that someone else pulled the stunt before Cullen and Ryoko had their meeting.

"Cullen, I know we just met, but I think together with my partner outside we might be able to fit some of the pieces to this puzzle, but we have to find out who did this and soon…Ryoko's almost on Jurai and speculation is that her trial will start as soon as she lands…"

"Hold on sec…you already know Ryoko's on Jurai and you have a partner?" If I didn't know better, I say that you're a space cop."

Then Cullen's eyes lit up as he remembered the old news reports from a couple of years ago, "Wait a minute! There was a officer Kiyone of the Galaxy Police that helped out Ryoko and the Royal Family when that phony emperor tried to take over Jurai…are you that cop and is Officer Mihoshi your partner outside?"

Kiyone ran around the table and slid next to Cullen, putting her index finger by her lips, signaling to him to keep quiet, "Could you not say it so loudly? I'm here unofficially and if word leaks back to headquarters that we're here, our careers are ruined…"

"So why are you here Officer Kiyone?"

"I already told you, Ryoko's our friend and we made a promise to our family that we find out who did this and prove her innocence."

"Family huh? She told me all about her new home on Earth and the little family that formed along the way, but she didn't mentioned names…all except one."

"Wouldn't be a boy named Tenchi is it?" Kiyone smirked as she figured Ryoko could keep certain things private, but Tenchi was the one thing that the cyan girl could never hold back.

"Yep, show me a picture of the guy. I wasn't all that impressed at first, but as she kept telling me how he managed to change her ways and away from the pirate life, not to mention defeating that nut job Kagato, I have to say that the kid's ok in my book. Like I said before, I known Ryoko for many years and not one man had ever captured her heart like this Tenchi did. Guy must be special huh?"

Kiyone smiled at the question, "Yes…Yes he is and all of us living together at his house for the last couple of years are better off because of him."

"That's nice to hear, but if he ever makes Ryoko upset like he did two weeks ago, I'll personally come to Earth and rip out his 'family's jewels'…you know what I mean?"

"C-Crystal…" Kiyone meekly acknowledged after hearing Cullen's mild threat. "So I take it that you and Ryoko never got…involved?"

"Like I said before, no man nor pirate could win that girl's heart, but that didn't mean that she valued friendship. It was after that fight here in Odesso thirty years ago that I found her in an alley, alive but badly injured. I could have been a prick and taken her loot for myself, but I saw how she handled those thugs and realized that I may have found a partner for my pirating. I took Ryoko back to my place, along with her little cabbit and nursed her back to health. After two weeks, she was good as new and wanted to split her goods with me, but I refused. That's when I introduced myself and suggested we team up."

"So how did it work out?"

"At first it wasn't too bad. We robbed luxury space liners, branches of the Bank of Jurai, and depositories of the Galactic Union. I was happy as an Ekosian clam and even thought that I was in love with her, but Ryoko was always looking for something more. In reality, it was the excitement and money that kept us going. Eventually, she wanted to go back being a lone wolf, but she also wanted to keep our friendship intact, as did I so we kept in touch over the years as well as the other pirates that helped us out from time to time.

Kiyone was taken back by Cullen's tale. Other from what she knew from her time on Earth and the official GP criminal history records, she didn't know much about Ryoko's past and most of it wasn't good. She remembered how at first she tried to arrest her when she reluctantly found Mihoshi, but as they learned to live together over the years, she considered the pirate a close friend who would lay down her own life for everyone in the Masaki house.

And while she never had any romantic interests in Tenchi, she did find the thought of a simple farm boy and a notorious space criminal a strange match. It wasn't until she saw how Ryoko nearly died on their journey to Jurai and her relentless pursuit of Tenchi into Haruna's World that she understood how much the cyan girl loved the young prince. It was only recently that Kiyone began to see Tenchi returning those feelings to Ryoko, even if he didn't knew it himself, which was nothing unusual for him.

As a Galaxy Police officer, she would not approved of these pirates heisting half the universe blindly, however she did admired how some of them carried a code of honor amongst themselves and was happy to know that Ryoko believed in such things. After listening to Cullen, Kiyone knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that the golden-eyed woman had nothing to do with the Juraian noble's death and she was more determined now to prove her belief. She decided that now was the time to act and maybe she had an ally in Cullen that could help her achieve that goal.

"Cullen, from what you have told me, I believe Ryoko was set up to take the fall for this murder. However, we need to find out who would benefit the most from her demise. Will you help me?"

Cullen sat there quiet for a second and then let out a hardy laugh that nearly shook the tavern's walls, "Girlie, you needn't ask me twice! Ryoko saved my beacon more than once, not to mention made me rich along the way. I'm at your service…where shall we start?"

"Easy there…the data we retrieved from Ryoko's memory mentioned a bar that had the name of 'Yotaka's Place'. I suggest we start there…"

"Yotaka's Place? That was where I was suppose to meet Ryoko, but she never showed up…"

"Or she was taken away before you got there." Kiyone jumped in, "Someone drugged her as she waited for you. Have any suspects?"

"Pick a number, but if she was alone when she passed out, the drug may have been in her drink. Who served her?"

"The bartender I think. Big creepy guy with a bald head and an eye patch covering his right eye."

"That's Turk the owner. He's a former pirate who retired years ago, but it's known that he'd do deals on the side if it brings him big money. I wouldn't be surprised if the asshole was paid off to do the dirty deed."

"But is he the type to be involved in a assassination like this?" Kiyone asked.

"No way! The more likely scenario is that his benefactors kept him in the dark; otherwise he might have blackmailed them for more money. He's not there at this time, but tomorrow morning he will be so let's get him then." Cullen suggested.

"Ok I guess…now all my partner and I have to do is find a place to crash until then…"

"You can stay at my place if you like…"

"Uh…I'm not too sure about that. We don't want to impose…"

"Bull shit! I'm sure you girls are tired from looking for me and besides, you're Ryoko's friends. It's the least I can do. Whataya say?"

Cullen flashed a giant grin that Kiyone couldn't say no to…

"Err…alright, but just until we get this Turk guy ok?"

"Deal pretty lady! Trust me, Ryoko had fun at my place when she visited and I'm sure you and your partner will too…"

<That's what I'm afraid of…> Kiyone sighed as she and Cullen made their way towards the door to get Mihoshi and leave.

<I know it's been awhile for me, but there's something about him that makes me feel so…wait a second, what am I thinking?!?>

The detective blushed at the thought of a seeing the rugged pirate in the buff as they headed outside and found Mihoshi sleeping by an old wooden bench outside the hotel room. Kiyone nodded in utter frustration as she walked over and kicked the bench from under her partner. The blond cop woke up in her usual state of confusion as she landed squarely on her butt.

"I'm up, I'm up! Oh Kiyone…it's you! Did you find the suspect?"

"The 'suspect' is standing behind you blondie…"

Mihoshi turned around and saw this huge presence of a man overshadowing her, totally removing any remains of her quick nap.

"Sooooo I take it that you're Cullen?"

"Give the lady a cigar!" Bellowed the red headed pirate, "So you're Kiyone's partner?"

"Yes I am! Umm…are you under arrest by any chance?"

"No you dimwit! Do you see any cuffs on him?" Kiyone blared out, "But he's think he knows who drugged Ryoko and he's going to help us catch him…"

"Oh great Kiyone! When do we catch him?"

"Not until tomorrow little lady." Cullen jumped in, "But until that time you and your beautiful partner are going to hang out at my place until then and who knows…maybe you can cuff me then and we can…"

"Don't even think about it mister!" Kiyone screamed at the pirate as she stood in front of him, pretending not to be intimidated by his sheer size, "I agreed to stay at your place so we can plan and relax until the morning, not to be a harem for your sick fantasy!"

Cullen looked down at the teal haired officer and laughed, "Your choice sweetie, but you don't know what you're missing…"

"In your dreams pal, now can we leave?" Kiyone answered back and the threesome walked north towards the direction of the hovercraft. Cullen started to whistle as they strolled along while Mihoshi joined in, leaving Kiyone to wonder if she was doing the right thing.

<Great! I have to solve a murder in order to save a friend and my only source of help is my scatterbrain partner and a horny space pirate. > Kiyone sighed to herself as she looked at the motley pair, <Taking on Kagato was easier than this; why me? >

Kiyone looked up at the setting red sun, looking for the answers she knew wasn't coming. Despite the cards that she had been dealt with, she sensed that she was getting closer to the truth and by tomorrow she get to the bottom of this homicide and hopefully find the clues that would vindicate her cyan haired friend…

**************************************

END CHAPTER SEVEN

A/N: Yeah I know, I take too much in spitting out these chapters, but I don't believe in doing a half-ass job and sending it out without feeling right about it, so I ask for your patience. I promise it'll be worth the wait.

Bobr: No, I wasn't thinking of a pairing of Washu and Nobuyuki. It's just that since they're both alone on Earth and 'Nobu' is so clueless of what's happening, it's natural that he'd look to Washu for answers, but hey, it's a long story and things could happen, y'know?

As always, your reviews are appreciated. If you want a more elaborate explanation, you can email me at a.falc@verizon.net

Later, alighthawk