Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ The Trial ❯ “Finally…I Love You” ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*Disclaimer: The main characters in this story are property of AIC, Pioneer, & Viz Comics. All the other characters were created by me, so any similarities are just dumb luck so please don't sue me.

** Author's notes: This story takes place about a year after "Tenchi Forever" in which it follows the "Tenchi Universe" storyline, though some names and places from the OAV and manga might appear. C & C is welcomed, but remember, this is my first fanfic, so easy on the flame throwing!

I will be doing some experimenting in this chapter with some song lyrics so please bear with me.

The Trial: by alighthawk

Chapter Eight - "Finally…I Love You"

It's been a half hour since Tenchi left Ayeka's room, free of the burden that had plagued him ever since he was finally aware that he was heads over heels in love with Ryoko. The talk with the princess did some wonders, but soon it would be the moment of truth; he would finally had to confess his love to the former space pirate.

<That shouldn't be so hard…should it? I mean I finally told Ayeka how I felt and that went well so why am I so hesitant? Maybe…maybe I still have doubts? >

Tenchi's mind, already having gone through horrid memories of what had happened in the last week or so, was starting to churn out even more discouraging thoughts as he reached his quarters. He had nearly spent the entire voyage by the cyan girl's bedside, not to mention restraining her from trying to escape from the sick bay. As he entered his room, virtually untouched since they left the Earth, he was starting to question whether he had the strength and resolution to see this journey through. He wasn't questioning his love for Ryoko; he knew that he did, but when they arrive on Jurai in less than a day, could he protect her from all the scrutiny and accusations that would be thrown at her when the trial begins? What would he do if this tribunal were to find her guilty of murder?

These were the doubts that kept creeping into the young prince's thoughts…

<NO! I can't think that! There has to be a way to find Ryoko innocent. I know she's innocent…she has to be! >

Tenchi sighed deeply as he threw himself on top of the bed. It was much bigger than his futon back home on Earth, with light blue satin sheets covering over the mattress and the plush pillows that adorned it. As Tenchi tried to gather his thoughts and figure out what was he going to say to his love, the room's video monitor was activated. It came from the sick bay…

"Hello? Oh Sasami it's you," Tenchi's face grew less tense as he began to talk to the little Juraian princess. "How'd you know I was in my room?"

"I just finished talking with Ayeka and she said that you looked tired and were heading back to your room."

"Yes, I meant to ask you if you didn't mind staying with Ryoko for a few hours more so I can get some shuteye, sorry about that."

"Don't be silly Tenchi, I'd be more than happy to stay with Ryoko for awhile longer." Sasami replied with a wide grin. Seeing the happy little blue-haired made Tenchi more relaxed.

"How is Ryoko Sasami? Is she ok?"

"Yeah, She just finished her fourth helping of dinner as we were about to play Old Maid to pass the time anyway and she just finished talking to Ayeka a few minutes ago."

Tenchi gulped as his mind replayed Sasami's last sentence, "She talked to Ayeka? Uh…what did they talk about?"

"Well, Ayeka was really relieved that Ryoko was finally up. Ryoko thanked her, but not much after that. They both agreed that they needed to talk about some things when there's some free time…"

"Oh, okay, I was just wondering Sasami. I hope it's something they can work out before the trial starts because I'm not sure how Ryoko will react when she's finds out that Ayeka may be the one that will holding her fate in the palm of her hands." Tenchi frowned at the thought of two closest people in his life would be at odds with each other over the possibility that one may have to take the life of the other. Tenchi did tell Ayeka that he wouldn't hold anything against her should the princess had to pass judgment on Ryoko, but in reality Tenchi had no clue what his reaction would be if such a thing came to pass.

Sasami, seeing the grim look on her friend's face decided to distract him with something or someone else

"Tenchi, uh Ryoko wants to talk to you…"

"Huh? Oh…uh ok, if she wants to…"

"Yeah Tenchi, <Like she'd say no to that...> the young Juraian replied as she redirected the video signal to the monitor by Ryoko's bedside. When Sasami said who it was, the cyan girl jumped from her bed and sat right by the side drawer. The cards that she and Sasami were playing with flew up and all over the sick bay as her face and body suddenly became alive with the sight of seeing her precious love once more.

"Tenchi, where are ya? I miss you!" Ryoko cried out with those sad puppy eyes. She traced her fingers by the edge of the monitor, pretending to be making circles on Tenchi's chest.

"I'm sorry Ryoko; I just came back from talking with Ayeka and decided to get some sleep before I went back to the sick bay. Sorry I didn't tell you earlier…" Tenchi replied as he saw that Ryoko was wearing a royal yellow bathrobe, covering the light blue nightgown she was wearing.

"That's ok I guess. I just finished talking to her myself and she was glad I was ok…"

"That's good Ryoko. Did she say when she'd pass by to visit?"

"No…I think there's something bothering her right now Tenchi, like she got a lot of things on her mind."

"Well, that's to be expected Ryoko. After all, she going to be observing your trial and that's not an easy thing to do. She's has an obligation to her people, but I think it's really upsetting her more because she considers you her friend."

Ryoko stared back with a blank expression on her face, not sure of what to think of the whole situation, "Well, Ayeka did say that she wanted to have a talk with me before the circus begins at my trial so maybe we'll clear up some things y'know?"

"Yeah, I know…more than you ever know." Tenchi whispered back at the monitor, leaving Ryoko to wonder what was it that he said.

"So my Tenchi, when are you coming back? I really miss you sweetie!" Ryoko inquired again with those flashing golden eyes blinking rapidly at the monitor.

"Real soon Ryoko, after I get some sleep. As it is, I need to tell you something important…"

"Oh yeah? Like what?"

Tenchi was about to tell her, but decided that saying it in person would be more appropriate. If he was going to tell his love that he had finally chosen her, he wanted to do so right next to her, holding her closely in his arms and looking deeply into her bright beautiful golden orbs that held so much love for him. Just the thought of tasting her lips was enough to convince Tenchi that he needed to see her face to face.

"Uh, nothing that can wait for a couple of hours longer, ok? Sasami has already agreed to stay with you until I get back so try not to cause any trouble alright?"

"I could barely tolerate being incarcerated as it is Tenchi, but for you I can wait a little longer. Just come back to me soon y'hear?"

"Crystal…I'll see you later Ryoko…"

"See ya Tenchi, I love you."

<And I love you my Ryo-chan.> Tenchi said to himself as the monitors went dark.

*************************************

A couple of hours had passed and all Tenchi could do was to stare at the room's décor. He thought the sheer exhaustion he had felt since leaving the Earth and wrestling Ryoko back to bed was enough to make him fall asleep, but something kept gnawing at him; something that kept tugging at his heart as his thoughts kept shifting from past moments to the future possibilities that awaited him. All these images kept him restless as the one common denominator continued to stare back at him. An image of a beautiful woman whom he had grown to love since the first day she crashed landed on Earth several years ago.

<This is not helping me at all; I might've as well do something useful before I head off to see Ryoko. > Tenchi mused as he got up from the bed and headed over to the closet. As he slid open the door, he realized that didn't packed his belongings himself, but Sasami. He cursed himself for not taking the time to bring whatever he needed to keep himself occupied as he waited for Ryoko to heal herself from her injuries. As he rummaged through his luggage he spotted a silver metallic device with Washu's initials inscribed on the side.

"A subspace portal! Sasami must've put my stuff in subspace so I could go through it when I had the time. That was very thoughtful of her, but let's see what she packed." Tenchi's nose wrinkled when he began to locate the button or switch that would activate Washu's invention, but grew leery as he recalled the redheaded scientist's other creations that didn't worked out quite so well.

"Let me put this by the bed and get ready to duck just in case…" The young prince smirked as he pressed the small red button that made the square box hummed to life. As he stepped back from the bed, a circular opening began to appear on top of the box and flash of light ensued afterwards which made Tenchi covered his eyes from the sheer brightness. When the light subsided, the young Masaki saw all his electronic games, his sketchbooks, paint and CD sound system was sprawled all over, but nothing seemed to be damaged.

"Cool…a little messy, but none for the worst I suppose." Tenchi said to himself as he began to organize his belongings all around the room. As he picked up his sketchbook, he saw one of his earlier creations from last spring: A chibi drawing of Ryoko and Ayeka duking it out at the front of the house as they played a game of volleyball. He couldn't help himself but laugh as he drew Ryoko's cyan mane really spiky and Ayeka's long ends flying above her head. The game itself was lopsided since Ryoko overpowered the princess, but drawing their facial expressions into a cartoon drawing made his day. He just had to make sure that neither of them never saw it if he valued his life.

<Hmmm…that's a good idea. Maybe a little sketching will calm me down a bit. All I need now is some music and I can begin. >

Tenchi knew exactly what he needed and as he searched through his belongings once more, he found it; a small rectangular black vinyl bag that contained his CD player and his favorite artists…or did it?

"Hey, wait a minute! How did Dad's CDs get in here?" Tenchi scratched his head as to how Nobuyuki's CD collection got mixed with his. Then he remembered that he was showing Sasami the various types of music that could be found on Earth and never had the chance to separate them afterwards…

"Guess Sasami must've thought I like Dad's music too. Not that it's bad, but really, who listens to Jefferson Airplane anymore?"

Tenchi flipped through the discs, trying find something that would fit the mood, something that would take the edge off his nerves. Something that would make him believed that everything's going to be all right. Something that would make him hoped that when this ordeal was over, he would be able to go back home with his family and Ryoko…

<RYOKO…> Just saying her name was enough to make him realized why he was so edgy. As he pictured the image of his cyan love, her golden eyes gazing back at him with such love, he found a CD that his father had downloaded from home.

"Loving Memories. Must be something dad put together to remind him of mom." Tenchi surmised, knowing how much Nobuyuki still loved his departed wife Achika. "Wouldn't hurt to listen to it I suppose? Who knows, I might find something that could remind me of Ryoko. It's either this or the Ryoko Hirosue CD from last year. Hmm, that's a funny coincidence…"

**************************************

I was standing all-alone against the world outside

You were searching for a place to hide

Lost and lonely now you give me the will to survive

When you're hungry love will keep us alive

Don'tcha worry sometimes you just gotta let it ride

The world is changing right before your eyes

Girl I found you there's no more emptiness inside

When you're hungry love will keep you alive

I would die for you

Climb the highest mountain

Baby there's nothing I wouldn't do

Now I found you there's no more emptiness inside

When you're hungry love will keep you alive

I was standing all-alone against the world outside

You were searching for a place to hide

Lost and lonely now you give me the will to survive

When you're hungry love will keep you alive

When…

When…

The first song played as Tenchi leaned back against the headboard, taking his pencil and begins to draw an outline that began to take the form of a woman. As the minutes ticked on, the outline became that of Ryoko, lying on the grass, unconscious from her crash with Mihoshi from long ago. Everything happened so fast that day, but the young Masaki still remembered his first look at his love. He remembered as he approached her to help how different she looked from any other women he knew; not knowing of course that she was an alien from outer space.

He remembered how wild her cyan mane looked, the bangs covering her closed eyes. How shapely her legs looked when she had her white dress and red spandex on. As he picked her up to wake her, he barely could contained himself as he kept glancing at her breasts, rising up and down as he tried to wake the space pirate up from her drunken state. Other than her breath smelling like a brewery that day, Ryoko looked to be as an angel who had fallen from heaven. As far as the sketch was concerned, all Tenchi saw was a beautiful woman who had lain to sleep in the forest, waiting to be awakened by a prince.

<Of course, that was way before I knew that I was the crowned prince of Jurai and that other beautiful alien women who entered into my life. > Tenchi reminisced as the images of the alien women: Princess Ayeka, Sasami, Washu, Mihoshi and Kiyone flashed through his mind. Someday he would like to do a sketch of them all, but at this moment all his thoughts were solely on Ryoko.

*************************************

I got a reputation

People know who I am

The rules are made to be broken

Can't kill what you don't understand

I see you're running scared

I never knew you cared

Go hide your head in the sand

Been to hell and back

I survived and that's a fact

It's my life-It's my life

And I do what I wanna

Do what I wanna,

Do what I wanna,

Do what I like

It's my life-It's my life

And I'll do what I wanna, do what I wanna do

My New Years resolution is always the same

Gonna do what I like

Gonna do what I want

'Cause it's just my way

I don't live for tomorrow

Cause at the end of the day

I'm gonna shout it from the roof

Better face up to the truth

Don't need an invitation

I don't play hard to get- No!

Well my fame they claim

I can't be tamed

You know it doesn't matter

I swear it's my life

I'll wear what I want

As Tenchi smoothed out his first sketch, another song began to play. Instantly, another image appeared into his mind. It was the image of the both of them running from the law in the alternate reality that Ryoko created using Washu's time warping device.

Most of the images that he had experienced with the gang on that long journey was mostly hazy now, but the ones he could still remember were from his time with the pirate. The last thing Tenchi had ever thought was that he would be helping her out in bank robberies and car thefts. Her open defiance to the law nearly had them locked up or even killed, but the way she handled every situation: her confidence, her swagger, and her carefree spirit when they were riding throughout America. He would've preferred a better tour of the country, but those few days they spent together made him start to realize that whatever feelings Ryoko had for him were more than just a crush. The fact that she had created her version of a perfect world and wanted so badly to be able to share it with him brought out a side of Ryoko that Tenchi had never known before.

Even when he scolded her after Washu had found them and returned their memories of their real lives, Tenchi felt some guilt when it was time to return everyone to their dimensional reality. A part of him would've gladly stayed there had Ryoko asked him to. There was really nothing he could had said to her that would had made her feel better, but his gesture with the apple was the only thing he could think of that would her made her understand that everything was cool between them. Little did he known at the time that this was the start of his romantic feelings for the cyan girl.

Without thinking, Tenchi sketched the image of Ryoko sitting on top of the Ford hardtop they had stolen prior to their arrival to San Francisco. He recalled the sight of her looking at the stars while the wind coming from the bay was blowing her hair to the side, her bangs barely hiding the gaze she shown as she continued to look up at the sky, immersed to whatever thoughts that were going through her mind. The outfit she wore was nothing special, but after reading about exploits of the American gangsters of Bonnie & Clyde, Ryoko played the role of Bonnie well.

<There's so much to Ryoko that I never realized until now. I'm glad Sasami remembered to bring my artwork, otherwise I'd be going up the wall trying to sort things out! > Tenchi thought to himself as he turned the page to begin another sketch of his love. He wasn't sure why he's so compelled to draw his sketches right now, but it was definitely helping him to see things that he normally had a hard time understanding. The words he wanted to say to her were difficult as it was, but this method was making him able to bring out the things he saw in Ryoko. The things he loved so much about her and through this he had hoped the feelings and the love he had would finally surface to something he could say verbally to her without having to be so cowardly about it.

< Hmmm…the lights in here are ok, but the setting is off. I need something a little more subdued, something to remind me more of Ryoko's life, or at least how I see her through my eyes. >

Tenchi picked up his sketchbook and pencils and walked out of his room. Since he was too restless to sleep and the visions of his Ryoko kept dancing in his head, he may as well had gone somewhere on this ship so he could try to connect them to what he was feeling now. As he turned a corner, he almost bumped into a royal guard, which just happened to be the young Lucas.

"Oh, pardon me my prince! I didn't see you coming! My apologies!" Lucas bowed as he still remembered how angry Tenchi was when the soldiers tried to take Ryoko away from him back on Earth. The young Juraian was afraid the prince would not be happy in seeing him again.

"Don't worry Lucas, no harm done. As it is, I'm not paying attention to where I'm going myself so maybe I should be the one apologizing to you…"

"No apologies needed my prince, but it is kind of late, shouldn't you be resting in your chambers?" Lucas inquired, relieved that Tenchi wasn't wielding a sword at him.

"I was in my room just now, but I can't sleep. Too many things on my mind, you know what I mean?"

"I believe so. Once we arrive on Jurai, things will be much more complicated than you could imagine. Were you going for a walk?"

"You could say that. I really want to go someplace quiet and do some drawing; it helps me wind down. You wouldn't know a place like that on this ship do you?"

Lucas paused a second, his eyes peeking at the page of Tenchi's sketch of gangster Ryoko. There was only one place that would accommodate him.

"Yes my lord. Just take the elevator down two decks and veer right. You will eventually hit the Royal Conference Hall. Only the Royal Family, the Holy Council and the ship's officers are allowed inside, but you shouldn't have any problems gaining access."

"Thank you Lucas, I appreciate your help…"

"It's my pleasure to serve you my prince and I do wish you well in defending Ryoko. I too have someone back on Jurai whom I love very much and there's nothing in the universe that I wouldn't do to protect her."

"Then you understand…"

"All too well. I may be young, but I learned as a soldier that life can't be taken for granted, love even more so. I have my duty to perform my prince, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it."

Tenchi smiled as he placed his hand on the young Juraian's shoulders. If some of the people on Jurai would see things the way Lucas could, then perhaps there's hope for Ryoko after all.

"Thanks again Lucas, I'll remember to speak kindly about you to Azaka. I'm off then…"

"Be well my prince and good luck."

Tenchi followed Lucas' directions until he saw two huge oak doors that guarded the entrance to the hall. There was a flat black screen pad on the right side, just large enough to place a hand on it. Tenchi surmised the genetic DNA codes of the higher rank Jurai officials and the Royal Family could unlock the doors. Carefully, he placed his hand on the screen as a red beam of light scanned it. Within seconds, the sounds of internal locks were churning and the doors swerved slowly to open.

The hall looked cavernous. Tenchi wasn't sure if it was really that big or was it due to the spacious ambiance it presented. The center had a huge oblong wooden table, for important gatherings he surmised. The right side of the room had several paintings of the Royal Family hung up; the one closest was a portrait of Ayeka sitting on a royal chair, looking regal with Sasami standing by her left side, with her childlike smile. As he strolled further into the hall, Tenchi saw the left side was all windows; the stars streaming by as the ship continued to move at warp speed.

The young Masaki saw what looked to be a big black leather couch facing the window and thought that was the perfect place to continue his sketching. He sat down, feeling how soft and comfortable that couch and pulled out his pencil to draw.

<This couch is really comfortable! I could probably fall asleep with no problems, but that's not what I'm here for. > Tenchi reminded himself as he gazed out into the stars, looking for more answers. < The stars! This is where Ryoko is so happy. She always looks so free when we're out here. >

**************************************

She's got a smile that it seems to me

Reminds me of childhood memories

Where everything

Was fresh and as the bright blue sky

Now and then when I see her face

She takes me away to that special place

And if I stared too long

I'd probably breakdown and cry

Sweet child o' mine

Sweet love o' mine

She got eyes of the bluest skies

As if they thought of rain

I hate to look into those eyes

And see an ounce of pain

Her hair reminds me a warm soft place

Where as I child I'd hide

And pray for the thunder

And the rain

To quietly pass me by

Sweet child o' mine

Sweet love o' mine

Where do we go

Where do we go now

Where do we go

Sweet child o' mine

Once more Tenchi picked up his art book and began to draw. Seeing the stars had reminded him of their perilous journey to Jurai when they had to face Kagato. The most striking image of that whole adventure was seeing Ryoko in her red and black battle outfit. It was a bittersweet memory, remembering the one lasting image of her being injured with blood seeping out on the side. He was so overcome with joy when she returned to Earth, after being away for so long and not knowing what happened to her. While he still wasn't too sure how he felt about the space pirate, he knew for sure that he could never envisioned his life without her.

He allowed his sub-conscious to form a more pleasant image of Ryoko with her form fitting battle outfit. With Ryo-oki at the background in her ship form, Tenchi envisioned his love floating in mid-air, wielding her red light sword to her side while motioning him with her outstretched fingers to come towards her. With her fangs slightly showing from a wicked smile, it was her seductive way of saying 'Come and get me if you can!'

The image had Tenchi getting hot all of the sudden. <Sometimes I'm amazed at how sexy she can be! She can be so dangerous and tempting all at once! What she sees in me is still a mystery. > Tenchi sighed as he turned the page as more images began to appear to him.

***************************************

Though I've tried before to tell her

Of the feelings I have for her

In my heart

Every time that I come near her

I just lose my nerve

As I've done from the start

Every little thing she does is magic

Everything she do just turns me on

Even though my life before was tragic

Now I know my love for he goes on….

Do I have to tell the story

Of a thousand rainy days since we first met

It's a big enough umbrella

But it's always me that ends up getting wet

Every little thing she does is magic

Everything she do just turns me on

Even though my life before was tragic

Now I know my love for her goes on….

I resolved to call her up a thousand times a day

And ask her if she'll marry me

in some old fashioned way

But my silent fears have gripped me

Long before I reach the phone

Long before my tongue has tripped me

Must I always be alone?

Every little thing she does is magic

Everything she do just turns me on

Even though my life before was tragic

Now I know my love for her goes on….

Every little thing

Every little thing

Every little thing she do is magic, magic, magic….

It's a big enough umbrella

But it's always me that ends up getting wet

Time seemed to roll by as Tenchi kept tracing, erasing, redrawing the different aspects of Ryoko's personality that he had seen throughout their time together back home. He shook his head in dismay, wondering why it was only now that he was realizing how special she was to him. As if for the first time, his eyes were truly open and they're seeing her for what she really was.

He had drawn a sketch of Ryoko perched on top of the balcony that was once Haruna's apartment in the spirit world that she had created using Tenchi's Jurai power. Aside from looking dingy and seeing her jeans and jacket all dirty, she looked so weary and tired from her constant search for him that lasted nearly half a year. The expression on her face was so overcome with joy and relief, yet Ryoko's eyes still had the same loving gaze she always had whenever she looked at Tenchi. For a few moments, as with the alternate universe, it was just the two of them and had she asked him to stay with her forever, he might had said yes…

<It was there! > Tenchi kept telling himself, <It was there that I knew for sure that I was in love her! Damn it, why didn't I tell her right there and now? Why couldn't I just for once run with my heart and tell her how much she meant to me, rather than thanking her for saving me and understanding me how I feel? Damn it, I am so fucking stupid sometimes! >

In a fit of anger, Tenchi flung the sketchbook at the window, totally disgusted with himself; angry because of all the lost time that had passed because he put his feelings, as well as Ryoko's aside so that he wouldn't hurt Ayeka and the other girls. Afraid that his selfish decision would cause a rift within his adopted family.

<Grandpa was so right…> Tenchi sighed as he recalled the advice of what Yosho said to him just before this whole disaster had begun: "I can't speak for the girls, but I don't believe that they would leave if you suddenly decide to choose. They love you because you ARE their family. As long as you make the choice with your heart and be true to them as you always have, they'll respect your decision."

<Such a simple choice when it all comes down to it, but I had to wait for a catastrophic event to make me see that. > Tenchi kept scolding himself mentally as he went by the window and picked up the book, finding the page that he had left off. As he sat back down to draw, he wanted created an image of Ryoko that he had never seen before, something that would make him so happy if could be able see it at this very moment….

*************************************

<Now, what could I imagine my Ryoko in that I never seen her do or…or maybe seen her in? >

Tenchi once again began to draw the outline and rounded curves that made up the cyan beauty's physique. He then worked his way up to her angular face, highlighting her high cheekbones and creamy complexion and then having her long cyan mane flair out to the sides. He took great pain in constructing this picture as he rounded out her full lips, showing a bit of her fangs as she smiled. His fingers moved to complete his design by showing off her eyes, which he felt were the one thing he found the most attractive about her. He only wished that he could've brought some watercolors to really highlight those golden orbs of hers.

He put the book down on the side table for a moment, staring at his creation. Other than imagining her naked, which was still hard to do without getting a nosebleed, what was this picture missing? Other than Ryoko, who was the only other person in Tenchi's young life that he felt so strongly about? Who in this universe could invoke such strong emotions within him? Suddenly the answer struck him…

A few minutes later, his creation was finished: An image of Ryoko dressed in Achika's wedding kimono. He let his mind envisioned his love walking towards him by the lake during a clear autumn day, seeing tears of joy streaming down from her cheeks despite the traditional veil that was draped in front of her. As she finally stood beside him, he reached out with his shaking hands, lifting the veil to reveal a sight that he had craved so long to see.

Finally…Tenchi, not Ryoko, leaned forward to taste his beloved's lips, a sensation he had only dreamed about, but denied himself out of stupidity. He did kiss her when she was asleep in the house before they left to Jurai, but it just wasn't the same. This felt so real…so right…

<Finally, I know now what I want! All that I needed was standing before me all this time and I couldn't see it! I don't what I'm going to do once we get to Jurai, but right now there's a big void in my heart that I haven't allowed myself to heal because I kept my distance from her, but no more… >

<So what are you waiting for? Go to her you fool or were you planning on waiting for her to get out of jail? > A loud inner voice was screaming inside Tenchi's head, lifting a dark cloud from the inner core of his psyche. There was no longer a doubt of how he felt and what he needed to do.

Tenchi looked at his clock. By Earth's time, it was about 3 a.m., which meant that Ryoko and Sasami might be asleep, but he didn't care anymore. All he wanted to do right now was to go to his love and pull her close to him, professing all his love to her. Within seconds, Tenchi bolted out of the hall and headed straight towards the elevators. He couldn't wait any longer.

As the seconds ticked off, Tenchi finally made his several decks below to where the sick bay was located. He was thinking about finding an excuse to tell Sasami when as he turned the corner, a familiar face was guarding the doorway…

"Azaka! What are you doing here?" Tenchi asked so surprisingly as he approached the elder knight.

"Well, I was at the bridge reviewing all incoming the transmissions when the princess summoned me." Explained Azaka as he began to unlock the door. "Since you had mentioned that you were going to retire in your chambers for a few hours, the princess had asked me if I could spell her for a brief time while she went to the galley and prepare some food for Ryoko. I willingly agreed and dismissed the guards when I arrived. I thought it would be best if I left Ryoko alone to her thoughts…"

"That was very kind of you Azaka. I was in my room, but I couldn't sleep at all so I spent much of the night drawing…"

"I see young prince and be the looks of it, you was very much preoccupied with one thing in mind, eh?" Azaka smirked as his eyes skimmed the sketching of Ryoko in the wedding kimono. "I take it that you wish to see her now?"

"Very much so Azaka. Would it be too much trouble if you could contact Sasami and tell her to wait awhile? I need to say something to Ryoko in private…"

"Not at all Tenchi, should I tell the princess to come back in let's say…several hours?"

Tenchi noticed the wink the knight gave him, letting him know that he would not be disturbed for a while. He humbly bowed to old warrior and thanked him as he waited for the sliding doors to open and revealing to him his loving Ryoko, lay back against the headboard, watching old Juraian soaps on the ship's monitor.

"Tenchi!?! Whatcha doing here? I thought you went to bed? Ryoko asked as she leaned forward, happy that her love came to see her.

"I did…well I tried, but I just couldn't sleep so I spent much of the time thinking and drawing…" Tenchi answered as he gave that sheepish expression whenever he had to answer a uncomfortable question, <Don't start to get cold feet now Masaki! You need to do this and she deserves to hear it! >

"And what exactly were you thinking about that kept you up all night hmmm?" Ryoko asked as a sly smile began to form around her mouth, testing to see how Tenchi would react. "Usually, you don't sketch unless you're preoccupied or something is bothering you; so what is it?"

<NOW YOU FOOL!! TELL HER NOW!! THIS IS WHAT YOU HAD BEEN WAITING FOR ALL THESE YEARS!! TELL HER!! > His mind reeling from anticipation, his heart racing, Tenchi stood there quiet for a moment as his fingers rubbed against the rough texture of his art book. As Ryoko's question began to sink in, he snapped out of his trace and sat down next to her, brushing his leg against her bare thigh. Instead of replying, he merely handed over his work for Ryoko to look at.

Ryoko's left eyebrow was raised, as she looked momentarily confused of what Tenchi was handing over to her. As she gazed down to view his handiwork, her eyes widened with astonishment. Page after page she saw different aspects of herself through Tenchi's eyes, perhaps even his heart. She always knew Tenchi had liked to draw her, but never in such grand detail, as if he took such painstaking care of how each pencil stroke was perceived. She was even amazed of the sketch he made of her in the bikini she wore at the swimsuit competition during their journey to Jurai.

<Well at last I know he was paying attention to me at the time. > Ryoko mused to herself as she turned the page to her image in her black and red skintight suit, smiling as she couldn't believe her Tenchi would see her in such a devilish, yet playful pose. Tenchi still hadn't said a word yet, but by the way she was reacting to his sketches, he was sensing that his message was starting to get across.

Finally, a gasp came out of Ryoko's mouth as she finally turned to the last page, revealing herself in Tenchi's mother wedding kimono. Tears of joy began to swell in her eyes as she put down the book as gazed upon her love, needing to know why he did this.

"T-Tenchi…this is so…wonderful. I never knew you ever saw me like this. I'm very flattered, but this last sketch; this is a wedding kimono ain't it?"

"Yes it is. My mother's to be exact…"

"Your mom's?!? You envisioned me in your mother's wedding kimono?!? I-I don't know what to say…I mean the others were pretty cool, but this last one you did; why did you draw it Tenchi? Does this mean that…mmrrphh??"

Before Ryoko could finish her question, a pair of warm soft lips touched hers. Without having to utter one word, Tenchi had finally answered the question that had been burning in Ryoko's soul for so long as a flood of emotions began to overcome the two of them. From a sense of relief to joy to sheer ecstasy, the two star crossed lovers were feeling a sensation that neither could ever imagine would happen to them. Is as if a barrier had been finally battered down. Tenchi finally pulled back reluctantly, feeling the urge to finally release whatever childish insecurities had been plaguing him from within…

"Ryoko…I know my timing stinks, but this was something that I should had said to you a very long time ago. I let my indecisiveness get the best of me, but no more." Tenchi looked straight into Ryoko's tear drenched face as he uttered the words that the cyan beauty had been praying for so long to hear…

"Ryoko… I LOVE YOU. I'm madly in love with you and I'm so sorry for waiting this long to tell you…"

"Oh Tenchi, I…"

"Let me finish please…" Tenchi softly pleaded as he laid his right index finger on Ryoko's lips, feeling a slight tingly sensation as he felt the moisture, compelling him to taste them once again.

"Ever since we left Haruna's world, I knew that I loved you, but I was too immature in handling it. Between that and my worrying about hurting Ayeka and the others made me a coward in telling how I really felt about you. You could never imagined how much I enjoyed our time together, sitting by Funaho at night and just letting all my worries go away, even for a few hours. It was near my graduation party that I made up my mind and promised myself that I would finally confess my love for you."

"Those nights by Funaho were precious to me as well my Tenchi. Even if I Didn't get what I wanted at the time." Ryoko confessed back to Tenchi, still overcome with sheer happiness. "But I felt that by being a friend at your time of need, I'd hoped that you could've see me for what I really was."

"I knew that already Ryoko, as far back when you helped me against Kagato. I shouldn't have taken your love for granted…"

"You did what you had to do Tenchi as I did. It was my love for you that made me go back and rescue you from Haruna. It was that same love that made me want to leave the pirate's life and try to settle down." Ryoko reached and cupped Tenchi's face as she tried to convey her inner most feelings to him, trying to make him understand that everything's in the past now.

"Now…having you here, sharing with me your lovely portraits and telling me that you finally love me; it feels like all my prayers have been answered my darling Tenchi. I have everything that I want right here and now…"

"Really Ryoko?"

"Well, I would prefer to be back home on Earth sharing the Onsen with you right now, rather than being locked and being hauled away to prison, but beggars can't be choosers…"

Both lovers broke out in laughter, as the tension between the two had been broken. Ryoko pulled Tenchi close to her, whispering something in his right ear…

"And right now, I want to make love to you…"

"Now? In the sick bay?"

"Tenchi my darling, by this time tomorrow I'll be in a cell on Jurai waiting for my Trial. Your faith in me is the only reason that I haven't tried to break out of here, but let's kid ourselves shall we? If Yosho and Washu don't come up with something soon, it may be a long time that I'll ever see the light of day or even be exceuted…"

"RYOKO! Don't say that! We can still…mmph?"

Not wanting to hear another word, the cyan beauty pulled Tenchi into another passionate kiss, feeling her body quivering at the sensation of tasting his lips once more. Ryoko didn't want her Tenchi to start feeling negative about their dire situation. This was their moment and she wasn't going to let anything ruin it. Sadly, she pulled back to explain her reasons…

"Nothing's certain anymore my wonderful Tenchi. In my former occupation, we just lived by the moment, not knowing where we'd end up. Right now, I would say that we're in a similar situation and I want to enjoy every possible moment with you. You can't for certain what's gonna happen on Jurai sweetie and once we're there, we may never get this chance again…"

Tenchi was about to say something when he suddenly saw Ryoko's face getting becoming sullen. He was now realizing what the pirate was getting at as she continued to speak.

"I know that I might be going a little fast for you, but understand that after tonight, there's the possibility that we may never be together again and if that's was to happen, I want to remember this night for the rest of my life. It's not the ideal place for having sex with the one that you love, but I don't care Tenchi. I love you so much and this may be my only chance to express that love to you. Please Tenchi…let this be our time."

Tenchi froze for a second, taking in what Ryoko had said. He remembered his father telling him once that time is such a precious commodity, that it shouldn't be wasted so recklessly. There will be moments that will come and go before we had a chance to act on it and when that moment comes, we must seize it and make the best of it.

It was at the anniversary of his mother's death when Nobuyuki said those words. At the time, Tenchi was too young to appreciate what his father was trying to convey. Now with the love of his life sitting besides him, wanting to consummate their love and not knowing what the immediate future would bring, his mind was clear of doubt.

"You're right Ryoko. Together, we'll figure out a way to prove your innocence on Jurai, but right now it's our time, our moment together and while I'm not an expert in having, uh…"

"Sex?"

"Uh yeah, but nothing would make me happier than having my first "experience" with you. Hope you understand I'm a little nevous…"

"Gotta start somewhere Tenchi, but I promise to be gentle. After all, if I do get out, I'd need to save you for our wedding night…hahaha!"

"I see your spirits are up Ryoko. That's one of the things I love about you…"

"As I love you my Tenchi." The pirate replied with a sly grin as she stood up and began to disrobe herself, revealing her sensational body to Tenchi, who was mildly surprised that his nose didn't start to bleed.

"Ryoko…you're so beautiful…"

"Thanks for noticing. Say Tenchi, what about Azaka? Won't he be able to hear us?" Ryoko asked as she slid beside the nervous prince and began to loosen his pants as he threw aside his jacket.

"He's a Royal Knight Ryo-chan. Even if he hears anything, he's bound by oath not to divulge anything. Uses it pays to be a prince now and then huh?"

"Yes it does. Hmmmm…I see someone's happy to see me." Ryoko said as she pulled down Tenchi's pants, revealing his boxers with a huge bulge appearing. "Well, Azaka's gonna need some earplugs cause for the rest of the night, I'm gonna make you sweat and moan and when I'm done with you, half the universe would had heard us scream!"

Tenchi gulped quietly and braced himself, as he lay back on top of the medical bed and allowing Ryoko to slide on top of him, her hands reaching down where no woman had gone before…

HOURS LATER…

Azaka marked the time by formulating several possible scenarios in his mind, trying to predict what would happen when they reached Jurai. From the corner of his left eye, young Lucas was making his way towards him, with a bewildered look on his face.

"Yes Lucas, what is it?"

"Uh sir, don't you hear that?"

"What?"

"All that loud moaning coming from the sick bay sir, can't you hear it?"

Azaka slapped his head, realizing he forgot he had put on a pair of earplugs the moment he heard Tenchi and Ryoko go at it. He wasn't all that comfortable hearing one of the Royals constantly yelling out several Earth deities in succession.

"Lucas…as far as you're concerned, you didn't see anything nor hear anything. Am I clear?"

"But sir…"

"AM I CLEAR?"

"Yes sir! Crystal! Should I notify the guards that you would be assuming their posts this morning?"

"Please do. Also, tell the Princess Sasami that Ryoko won't need breakfast for a few hours longer. The prince is…helping her 'relax'.

"Uh yes, I shall attend to it…<That sort of 'relaxing' could leave the poor prince in traction by the sound of it. > Lucas muttered to himself. "Good evening Azaka…"

"Good evening to you Lucas, remember what I said." Azaka reminded the young Juraian as he move his head in acknowledgement, leaving the old warrior to resume one of the most delicate duties he would have to perform.

What I wouldn't do for an enemy attack right now." Sighed the loyal knight as sounds of pure ecstasy continued to seep out into the empty corridors for the rest of the night…

Well, there was no reason to believe she'd always be there

But if you don't put faith in what you believe in

It's getting you nowhere

Cos it hurts, you never let go

Don't look down, just look up

Cos she's always there to behind you, just to remind you

Two hearts, believing in just one mind

You know we're two hearts believing in just one mind

Cos there's no way to, to understand it

There's so much of my life in her, and it's like I'm blinded

And it teaches you to never let go

There's so much love you'll never know

She can reach you no matter how far

Wherever you are

Two hearts, believing in just one mind

Beating together till the end of time

You know we're two hearts believing in just one mind

Together forever till the end of time.

She knows (she knows)

There'll always be a special place in my heart for her

She knows, she knows, she knows

Yeah, she knows (she knows)

No matter how far apart we are

She knows, I'm always right there besides her.

We're two hearts…

***************************

END CHAPTER EIGHT

A/N: This will be the last time I apologize about taking so long to post because to be honest, I can't say when the next chapters will be coming. Again, the chapter was more or less an experiment for me in mixing up the story w/ lyrics so I hope this was to your liking, but just in case I got my firewall ready so take your best shot. Be warned, I will do this again towards the end of the epic. Also, I wasn't sure on whether to break the songs into segments or leave them as is, but since I was in a rush to post, I choose the latter. As for the songs they were:

'Love Will Keep Us Alive' by the Eagles

'Sweet Child of Mine' by Guns -n- Roses

'It's my Life' by KISS

'Magic' by the Police

'Two Hearts' by Phil Collins

I would like to thank my chatroom compadres Malena, LedZepFan and ThunderGod for their feedbacks. I'm always amazed of what you guys dream up for your stories; hopefully my stuff is up to par.

Space Pirate Minagi: You're right. Ryoko has a point, but when Ayeka was almost caught they knew where to go. If they had knocked off Azaka and the other soldiers, where would they get the info of the situtation? As it is, they still don't know who the mastermind is or where he/she is. There's also the bigger picture to think about. If Ayeka takes Ryoko's side on a murder charge, her ascension to the throne is compromised. There are really a lot of little subplots to sort out before the gang can find out who the baddie is so stay tuned.

As always, your reviews are appreciated. If you want a more elaborate explanation, you can email me at a.falc@verison.net

Later, Alighthawk