The Bouncer Fan Fiction ❯ Legends| An Original Teen Wolf Fanfiction ❯ Episode: 4, Odd Encounters ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: Glossary at the end.

Episode 4

Odd Encounters

Previously on Legends The arrival of a certain distant cousin of Chris and Kate's marks a new chapter in the lives of Allison Argent, Scott McCall, Stiles Stilinski and Derek Hale (so far)

While Allison and Stiles initially just find the girl formidable, albeit slightly creepy, Scott McCall is alarmed at the innuendos made by Seraphina that seem to suggest not only that she know more than she's letting on, but she is more that she's letting on.

Alarmed and slightly panicked, Scott confides in Derek about his suspicions of Seraphina and makes an appearance in their gym. However Seraphina, it appears, senses her presence and distracted, smashes a volleyball to the ground.

Another body is found in Beacon Hills and the news readers, growing frantic, attribute the ordeal to a vicious serial killer, further increasing the levels of terror in the town. Stiles Stilinski vividly describes the crime scene, the photos of which he'd seen at his father's desk and confides his relief that Scott wasn't a part of the pack that's doing this, all the while sitting in the cafeteria a few tables away from Seraphina. Scott asks Stiles unceremoniously to shut up and glances at Seraphina while Stiles follows his gaze.
Allison finally gets a chance to walk with Scott alone where she shares her suspicions with him about Seraphina. Scott asks her out on a date that night. Meanwhile Stiles supervises the arrangement of heavy furniture of a class by Seraphina and is startled when she insists on giving him a lift home.
Scott McCall comes home to find Seraphina Argent waiting for him at his house. She tells him that she doesn't believe in spilling innocent blood and he's safe as long as she doesn't have proof he's harmed a human while being a member of the pack and warns him to stay away from Allison. After much insistence on Scott's part that he's not a part of the Pack and that he's never harmed anyone, he confesses that he's in love with Allison. Seraphina finally leaves but tells him she still doesn't fully believe him and that she'd be keeping an eye on him.
Scott, while enjoying his date with Allison gets a call from Stiles who sounds panicked and tells Scott that Seraphina is a chimera.

"What?" Scott hissed back

"A chimera! I'm sure of it! She's way too strong, she's fast, you always feel uncomfortable around her, her pitch dark eyes, long hair... it all fits!"

"How do you even know all that?" Scott asked

"Remember the that crazy phase where I'd tried to learn Sanskrit and bought a whole lot of guides and Sanskrit to English dictionaries and Allison had lent me this book she'd found in her house that was in Sanskrit? Pishach Sutra. Well, I'd been trying to read up on you guys, you know your species, werewolves" he hissed the last word and continued without drawing breath, "So I came across these half breeds, if you must call them, I haven't really translated that well, but I'm damn sure she's it."

Scott was suddenly feeling hot despite the cool pleasant night.

"Stiles, I think Derek should know this, I'll, I'll talk to you later, Allison's here. "

Allison Argent was to find Scott oddly disengaged the entire evening. Not only did he hastily turn down Allison's invitation to drop her home and an implied invitation to sneak into her room and make out, he kept glancing over his shoulder every few minutes and seemed anxious, always at the edge of his seat.

…...

…...

Seraphina Argent ran.

The wind didn't rustle in her ears, it roared. Her feet barely touched the concrete ground. She made sharp turns with ease. Buildings, streetlights, stationary cars, all blurred to form one long continuous train. To any random stranger just happening to glance at her, that person would see nothing but a hazy shape gone as soon as they blinked. She was fast, very fast.

Seraphina Argent's prey though was, albeit slightly, faster.

The streets were deserted. The fear of the psychotic killer meant that no one dared to venture out alone in the streets, especially in shady corners and alleys such as the ones her prey was using to navigate.

The wolf in front of her tried to leap from one establishment to another, hoping to lose her, but Seraphina was a veteran at this. She was sure this was the same man in the shadows at the gym and she was determined to get a hold of him. She was gaining on to him now.

The beast however was in no mood to be caught. Now running directly above Seraphina along the broken fire exit of an old dilapidated building, quite near the edge of the woods, he prepared to make his big leap into the woods where his home was nearby.

Seraphina saw her chance. She jumped and caught hold of one of the ladders of the fire exit and her weight pulled it down, unexpectedly breaking the wolf's path.

He tumbled down and crashed on the ground rolling, while Seraphina landed crouching on her feet with the force of the fall.

The wolf wasn't hurt though, and with a swift motion rolled over to stand on all fours, its deep brown eyes staring into Seraphina's dark ones.

Neither of them made a move, but both were tense. She was poised to fend off his lounge at her; he was prepared to fend off a bullet, dagger or whatever she threw at him, yet none of them did.

After a couple of tense minutes, the apprehension in both was replaced by curiosity regarding the other's lack of hostility. Seraphina tilted her head, and narrowed her eyes still not breaking eye contact with him. Still crouching, she relaxed her muscles but only slightly and the wolf appeared to take a step back, evidently inquisitive. It was the strangest encounter he'd ever faced. Seraphina made to stand up.

A loud ringing pierced the thick atmosphere. Both the wolf and Seraphina, with their heightened senses, jerked their heads in the direction of the source of the sound which incidentally was Seraphina's pocket.

"Fuck" Seraphina said as her opponent recovered quicker from the distraction and leapt over her and onto the road straight towards the cover of the trees. Seraphina made to follow but the wolf, who clearly knew the place better than she did, had already disappeared.

Seraphina clenched her fists angrily and let out highly creative cuss word in another language. She pulled out her phone and saw Kate Argent flashing across the screen. Still uttering in the other language, though this time it was abuses rather than curses no doubt, Seraphina picked up the phone.

"What?" She spat

"Hey,I just saw you weren't home and I wondered if you'd gone on a hunt or something." Kate sounded excited.

"Er, no. I just... I just came out for a little stroll, that's all"

"Oh..." Seraphina could hear the heavy disappointment in her voice. "When will we go out for hunts, Seraphina? I thought when you got here... We'd have lots of fun! Give those creatures the fate they deserve and … Just you and I...Together..." her voice trailed off.

Seraphina clenched her jaw as her mouth filled with a metallic taste.

"Yeah, no... Not right now. It'll attract too much attention. We can't just go on hunting sprees whenever we want, it's against the Code, you know that."

"Since when did The Great Seraphina Argent start caring about the Code?" Kate asked incredulously.

I always have Seraphina thought to herself, yet she didn't speak it out loud. Something inside of her stopped her.

"Okay how long 'till you come home?" Kate asked, a hint of longing in her voice. "Perhaps I could make you a cup of cocoa? You drink cocoa, right? Or tea? Anything you like! We haven't even talked properly since you came in..."

"I-I don't know " said Seraphina "My clock still hasn't set in with this time zone. I don't know how long I'll be out. Please go to bed."

"I'll wait outside on the porch so I see you walk to your, er, shed." Said Kate "hey, and you're alone, right?" Kate's tone seemed to suggest that Seraphina could be cheating in a very fiduciary relationship if she wasn't.

"I'm alone. I'll talk to you later" said Seraphina, hanging up the phone.

She closed her eyes tightly, her fists balled up. His voice rang in her ears.

Yes, you've made mistakes but no, it's not too late. It's never too late. You aren't the blood thirsty, defiant brat they think you are and you can show them the real you.

But they idolize that version of me!

The real you is worth idolizing even more! The only way to redeem yourself is by making amends.

Amends my ass! She thought as she stomped her foot on the ground in anger. He was the one who'd sent her here in the first place, that damn man!

She thrust her hand deep inside her pocket and got hold of the string of Rudraksha beads she always kept with her.

"Shanti... shanti... shanti..."

Peace... peace... peace she chanted under her breath to calm her agitations. It was way past midnight and it was a school night. Seraphina knew she wasn't going to get any sleep.

Deep in her heart, she knew her anger wasn't directed at him, or even at Kate. It was directed at only herself.

…...

…...

"A book. He got this all from a book?!"

"Yeah... But its book he got from Allison and it's like really old and it's in Sanskrit, so I guess it's accurate? "Scott said hesitantly

"A really old book in Sanskrit."

Under normal circumstances, Derek Hale would've just rolled his eyes and rebuffed Scott in as civil a tone and language as he could manage while internally cursing Scott and his best friend and his decision to take the young wolf under his wing.

However, this was no normal circumstance. His encounter with Seraphina Argent had piqued his interest further in the girl. Derek had, however, never heard of half breeds let alone Hunter Half Breeds.

Derek let out a deep breath and said "Tell that rabbit I want to talk to him and meet him myself."

"Er…." said Scott, fully aware of how terrified Stiles was of Derek "I'll come too. Sheriff Stilinski works late almost every day these days. We can go to his house in the evening."

…...

…...

School was as uneventful as ever. Seraphina Argent hadn't gone home till the wee hours of morning, only to find Kate, who'd clearly been waiting for her on the porch, asleep on the patio bench. She'd sighed, her face screwing into an unwilling grimace at the sight of her.

Not catching any sleep in over 24 hours, naturally Seraphina half dozed through English, World Politics and Geography and fully dozed through History.

Stiles Stilinski, however spent the day dreading tonight's visit as Scott told him about his impending doom.

…...

…...

Scott McCall waited around the deserted street. This route lead directly to Stiles' house and Scott didn't want Derek to be with Stiles alone least Stiles might have an accident in his pants.

The street was deserted of course. Everyone was afraid of the "beasts" on the loose, so they'd barricaded themselves inside their houses as soon as the sun set.

Scott glanced at his watch again. He had to get home before his mother's shift ended, or she'd be worried out of her mind.

Suddenly, his ears picked up a stray noise. Someone was walking towards him. Instinctively, Scott slid back into the shadows.

Scott's instincts were well on point, for the stranger was none other than Seraphina Argent.

Scott held his breath as she walked closer and finally exactly in front of him. She stood with her back towards him as she appeared to be canvassing the area, hands on her hips. Scott held his breath and stayed hidden.

"Oh come on" Seraphina said exasperated "Either you never learnt to play hide and seek or you suck at it"

Scott gulped. He walked out tentatively towards Seraphina who still hadn't turned around

"Hi" Scott said hesitantly

"It's a dark night, Scott... And we've got killers on the loose... Killers you claim are not your brethren. So may I ask what are you doing out strolling outside all alone?"

"I don't have to tell you anything" Scott said making a shot at bravery

Seraphina turned to look at him, smiling sweetly while her eyes remained cold as ever, making all of Scott's bravery drain out of his feet and into the earth. "Of course you don't"

She slid her hands inside her coat pocket and Scott flinched slightly. He had a funny feeling that this time she was armed with more than just muscle.

"I'm just-" began Scott

But Seraphina had suddenly whipped out one of her hands from her pocket and Scott, due only to his sharp vision, saw for the briefest moment a gleam of sharp steel as Seraphina pulled out a dagger from her clothes and turned on her heels and hurled it in a dramatic thrust.

The dagger flew, spinning from edge to edge, with such force that it embedded itself in the concrete of the building. Only the dagger didn't just pierce brick and cement, but also dark fabric and the skin it clothed.

A satisfied smirk rested on Seraphina's face while Scott's eyes widened with shock whilst Derek Hale's face reflected the look of a caught predator.

"Save it" said Seraphina as Derek immediately raised his hand to free himself. "You won't be doing yourself any favours. And relax; it's not silver"

"Hey!" Said Scott "Why did you- You- You said you didn't- "doing some quick thinking he yelled "Don't hurt him! He's not hurt anyone either! Derek didn't, er, spill any human blood!"

Seraphina had walked up to Derek. They were almost the same height. Flashback of the night before came to her when the same brown eyes had gazed into the black ones.

"Your mentor?" she asked, still surveying Derek interestedly.

Scott nodded even though she couldn't see him.

"Pack rendez-vous?" Seraphina asked Derek, smiling.

"I'm not a part of that pack" Derek snapped.

Seraphina rolled her eyes and pulled out the dagger in the same swift motion and put it back inside the folds of her clothes.

The slash on Derek's side, unlike the ripped fabric, healed at once.

"Okay, fine" she said "Say, for a moment, that I believe you. You're not in the pack" she said pointing at Derek. "You're also not in the pack" she said pointing at Scott. "Then who exactly is in the pack?"

No one answered.

"Well, if anything happens tonight, you two better have an alibi" said Seraphina turning to walk away from them

Derek, who apparently couldn't stand it anymore, said "That's it? You're just letting us go?"

Seraphina stooped in her tracks, straightened up and rotated her head slightly to the left. "You'd rather I kill you?"

"Isn't that what you all are supposed to do?" He replied sneering.

"The Code permits the killing of only those who harm humans or turn them against their will" Seraphina replied curtly

"And how do you know we haven't?" Derek asked her.

A feeling of dread crossed Scott's face, who looked quickly from Seraphina, who'd turned to face them again back at Derek, wordlessly asking him to shut up.

"I really don't care about many people in this town" said Seraphina, her voice now icy "I don't, trust me. I'll wait 'till I have proof. I will not break the Code"

And with that, she turned, swinging her coat and walked away, her footsteps soon fading away into the dark.

"What the actual fuck is wrong with you?" Scott asked Derek, horror struck.

"Let's go" said Derek who was still eyeing the path Seraphina had disappeared into.

…...

…...

Stiles Stilinski's anxiety had made him walk out the front door and pace around in his yard, clutching the heavy ancient leather bound book in his hand and waiting for Scott and Derek to arrive. His father could be home any moment and he wasn't in the mood for an expository conversation with the Sheriff.

Stiles glanced at the empty street, turned, walked a couple of steps nervously and then turned again, only to find Derek and Scott standing in a place that was moments ago deserted.

Stiles jumped a few steps back and nearly dropped the heavy leather bound book.

"What—how—" began Stiles, then abandoning that, he said, addressing Scott "What took you so long? I've been waiting—"

"Cut to the chase" said Derek, irked "and just tell us what you know."

Stiles, who was sweating profusely nervously fiddled around with the book, propping it open on his knee to the concerned page.

"There" he said "Er... It's all in Sanskrit, as you know, so er, I don't know if— It says it here though— It says it here she's a..."

"It says it here that Seraphina Argent is a half werewolf?" Derek repeated

"Yes" said Stiles "What? No! I mean no! I mean it says here she could be— I mean it says here half werewolves are... Well I think she's—" Stiles squinted at the book "It says here badzat which actually means ill-bred and she sounds a lot like— Well, she also kinda looks like the illustrations"

"Illustrations." Repeated Derek. He peered into the pages. Not a word of the Devanagari script made sense to him.

"Are you sure, Stiles?" Scott asked him gently

"Yes!" Said Stiles in relief, turning to look at Scott and in his haste, snapping the book shut "Allison gave me this book. She said she'd found it amongst her father's old things and I'd enjoy it and I'm sure it's—"

"Shut up" said Derek suddenly.

"I'm not-"began Stiles earnestly, but Scott, who'd smelled it too, said "Shush!" almost the exact moment as the female voice said-

"Hello again"

Seraphina Argent had appeared in the yard as suddenly as Derek and Scott had.

"What are you doing here?!" Scott asked incredulously

"Being your alibi" said Seraphina. She turned to look at Stiles whose mouth was hanging open

She strolled casually towards the group and glanced at the open book.

"So, badzat, huh?" Her pronunciation was as pure as a native speaker's. "That's quite clever of you... Stiles, isn't it?" She said.

Stiles gulped and took a step back towards Scott, intending to dive behind his friend at a moment's notice.

Seraphina looked amused at Stiles' terror.

"Can you even pronounce the name of the book properly?" She laughed and without waiting for an answer said "oh don't worry" she said "I won't hurt you. However, I will take that" and she snatched the book from Stiles' limp grip.

"Gentlemen" she said turning to look at Derek "you've learnt all you could for this evening, so I suggest you head to your homes now."

"You can't tell us to go anywhere" Derek snapped.

"True… But Mommy McCall must be on her way home from her shift and Daddy Stilinski must've left his office by now. I think it'll be in the best interest of all of us if we go to our respective homes."

"How about I walk you home?" She asked Derek sweetly "so I know where to find you, just in case, you know."

Derek looked from Seraphina to Scott, who nodded and mouthed Just take her away

Derek jerked his head irritably to show his assent.

"Shall we?" said Seraphina

"Try to keep up" said Derek through clenched teeth as he dashed away in a blur of color.

Seraphina rolled her eyes and followed.

...

…...

Derek Hale couldn't admit that deep down he was slightly awed by the girl. It was probably the fact that she was a half breed, but Derek had never met anyone quite like her before. He paused a few meters from his house. The scattered trees made it difficult to rush up right to the doorstep.

Seraphina, who was barely a step behind him, came to a pause next to him. She still clutched the book tightly in her hand. Derek started walking towards the house, she alongside him.

"So this is where you live?" She asked. "Jungli" she added under her breath

"What?" Derek said who didn't understand the term

"Nothing."

"I don't think there's any need for you to walk me up to my door" said Derek

"Oh no I want to make sure that you get home safely" said Seraphina smilling at him

Derek found himself almost smiling, which irritated him further. The house had come into sight now.

"You live in this burnt piece of-" began Seraphina disparagingly but then abruptly came to a stop, both in her sentence and pace.

Derek stopped too and frowned at her

"You—you, er... bought the place from the previous owners?" Said Seraphina, her tone unlike anything Derek had heard her use before.

"No, it's my family home" he said.

"Right, of course, you're Derek...?"

"Derek Hale" said Derek, confused.

"Right." Said Seraphina, taking a step back "Right" she said again "Well, I think you'll be safe here. I'll just—" and with that Seraphina sprinted away, leaving Derek baffled.

Glossary

1. Pishach Sutra: Pichach means demons or (evil)supernatural creatures while sutra refers to a list or index.

2. Rudraksha: Literally Rudra (Lord Shiva)'s Teardrops. They are seeds used to make prayer beads in Hinduism.

3. Badzat: Ill bred or impure or one born with dirty blood

4. Jungli: Tribals or natives or widlings, generally uncivilized, who live in forests.

I hope the glossary was useful and the use of foreign words didn't become too confusing or off putting!

Please rate and review!

Thanks!