The Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Zelda Ocarina of Time: Behind The Scenes ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:
Don't own Zelda, Nintendo does. That screws.
 
Kari was sitting against a tree when Joey and Link finally caught up to her. “Hey Link,” said Joey, “didn't you have a friend here?” “Yeah. The rancher's daughter Malon.” The three of them walked up towards the now closed gates. Standing beside them was Ingo. Ingo smiled, his eyes glinting greedily. “Hello. I am Ingo, owner of this ranch. I was once just a pitiful worker on this ranch then Lord Ganondorf helped me make it my own. It's ten Rupees to ride my horses.” Kari fished into her pouch and pulled out thirty rupees and pressed them into Ingo's hand. As she walked in the gates she tripped, falling into Ingo's arms and making a small personal profit. Joey smiled and leaned over to her and whispered. “You meant to do that, didn't you?” She just nodded. He smiled even wider causing her to blush. Link pulled the ocarina from his pocket and began to play Epona's song. Kari smiled and slowly disappeared into a crowd of horses. Epona appeared beside Link as Joey whistled a few unfamiliar notes. A tall silver horse appeared next to him. Link mounted Epona and rode around a few times before stopping to talk to Ingo who was smiling slyly. “You've become quite good in such a short time,” said Ingo. “Maybe you'd feel up to a small race: and maybe a wager.” “What are you thinking of?” Link asked with a small grin. “A race around the ranch. Say, fifty rupees to whoever is victorious.” “Why not?” Link lead Epona around to the starting line. Ingo chose a tall bay and rode up beside Link. Kari smiled and climbed up onto the top post of the fence. Joey walked up next to the post, with his new four-legged friend following him. “You think Link will win?” Kari asked in a whisper. Joey silently nodded as he smiled up at her. She smiled back at him and started the countdown. “3…2…1…GO!” The dust rose and as the sound of hooves thudded by, the two racers were gone. Kari jumped down and ran across to the main gate. She dragged it open and encouraged her and Joey's horses out. She ran back in time to see Link come flying around the last turn with Ingo far behind. “COMMON LINK!” Joey shouted. He looked over to Kari and his gaze lingered for a moment as she started to blush. “I forgot to ask you something…” he said. “What was that?” “What happened to the gerudos?” Kari smiled, “Nothing, they're thriving.” He laughed, “So where are you from?” “I dunno…” she answered. They turned to see Link and Epona cross the line with Ingo close behind. “Congratulations!” Joey said. Ingo jumped to the ground cursing. He tossed a bag of gold into Kari's awaiting hands. “Once more boy!” Ingo demanded. “If you win you can keep that horse!” Link thought for a second, “And if I lose…?” “Another fifty rupees.” “Why not?” Kari laughed and began the count again. “GO!” Kari blushed as she caught Joey's eyes and focused on the race. “How much do you use you're sword?” “Which one?” “Either…” Kari reached to her hip and pulled out her gerudos blade. “This one not so much, it's more for show.” She re-sheathed it and reached over her shoulder. She pulled out a long blade, almost 3/4 her size. The hilt was wrapped in black cloth, and the blade was pure silver with red runes along it. It flashed brilliantly in the sun. “This is my legacy though. I've had it since I finished my training.” Joey drew his sword. It was six feet long with a black blade and a rose design along it. “Beautiful,” Kari muttered blushing. “Here they come,” she said changing the subject. Joey sheathed his blade and cheered Link on. Kari smiled and ran toward the gate; yelling over her shoulder as she did. “Joey, tell Link Epona will jump the outer fence!” Link crossed the finish line with Ingo just inches behind him. “Good job Link,” Joey shouted. Ingo jumped down cussing. He walked over to gate and locked Joey and Link inside. “What is this about?” Joey and Link asked simultaneously. Ingo smiled maniacally, “You've won the horse, but now you're stuck here forever.” “YOU'RE INSANE!” Joey shouted. Link however looked around before leaning over to Joey. “Where's Kari?” he asked in a whisper. Joey smiled and motioned towards outside. “She say's Epona will jump that wall,” he pointed to a low wall, “Don't worry about me.” Joey smiled and looked at Ingo.