The Twelve Kingdoms Fan Fiction ❯ A Legend Forgotten ❯ Abandoned Creature ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Disclaimer: The Twelve Kingdom Characters belong solely to Fuyumi Ono, but Mariette and the other unknown characters I am writing about belong to me. If this disclaimer is wrong, then please do not sue me.)
 
 
Chapter 12: Abandoned Creature
 
The flash of light appeared again forcing Yoko to shut her eyes. When the light faded, Yoko opened her eyes and stated, “That was fast.”
 
 
“This time a month has passed.”
 
 
Yoko gave a nod as the scene of the lake reappeared with the sun shining down on it. On the side of the lake was Wuya washing clothes. Behind her was Toshi running away from Usagi. Mariette was on the other side of the lake catching fish with her bare hands.
 
 
Toshi ran like a wild cheetah from Usagi, who gave out a cry once in awhile. Toshi panted and screamed, “Why is it always me?” Wuya gave out a sigh and looked back at her distressed brother.
 
 
“Because Usagi seems to like to play with you,” stated Wuya. Toshi glared at her.
 
 
“This is not playing! He's trying to kill me!” screamed Toshi as he ran. Usagi gave out another cry causing Toshi to scream.
 
 
Mariette ran to her three companions with fish in hand and announced, “I caught breakfast.” Toshi looked at Mariette with tear filled eyes and said, “Thank goodness.” Toshi ran toward Mariette, but was pushed aside roughly by Usagi.
 
 
Toshi fell to the ground and looked up only to see Usagi standing in front of Mariette. Mariette smiled at Usagi and tossed him an extra large fish that Usagi munched on happily.
 
 
“Good Usagi,” said Mariette happily.
 
 
Toshi glared at Usagi and whispered, “Evil Usagi.” Wuya walked up to her brother with the laundry in hand and smirked at him.
 
 
“You shouldn't make a rival out of Usagi, Toshi,” stated Wuya. Toshi glared at her and watched her go to a nearby tree to dry the clothes.
 
 
After a few minutes, Mariette had cooked the remaining fish over an open fire and then was feasting on the cooked fish with her friends. Toshi was about to bite out of his fish, but Usagi snatched it out of his hand.
 
 
Toshi glared at Usagi and yelled, “Would you stop that?”
 
 
“Don't yell at Usagi,” reprimanded Mariette. Toshi gave a low growl as he grabbed another fish.
 
 
“Usagi is always taking my food and chasing me around when Mariette is away. He's been doing this since the beginning,” said Toshi angrily. He glared up at Usagi, who was still munching on Toshi's stolen fish.
 
 
“He should have left when he got better,” said Toshi. Wuya chuckled and added, “But Usagi wanted to stay with us because he liked Mariette too much.” Mariette gave a nod and smiled at Usagi, who gave out a small cry of delight.
 
 
Toshi gave a pout and munched on his new cooked fish.
 
 
Yoko giggled at the sight and said, “Looks like Toshi made a rival in love.”
 
 
Wuya patted Toshi's back and said, “Look at the bright side. We get to go camping more often.” Toshi gave a low groan as he chewed on his fish.
 
 
Mariette munched on her fish happily not noticing Toshi's angered state. She suddenly heard a small whimper causing her cat features to pop out. Wuya, Toshi, and Usagi looked at her in surprise.
 
 
“Something wrong, Mariette?” asked Wuya. Mariette's ears twitched as she tried to listen for the sound. She heard the whimper again and immediately ran off.
 
 
“Mariette?”
 
 
Mariette ran into the woods. Wuya tossed dirt on the fire to put out the fire and then ran after Mariette. Toshi ran after Mariette as well with Usagi close behind him to his discomfort.
 
 
Mariette dashed through the woods looking in every direction. Mariette suddenly caught the scent of blood. Mariette cringed, but then shook her head. She ran in the direction of the blood wondering if the whimper was from there.
 
 
Mariette pushed through the trees and soon found herself in an area even denser with trees. Mariette became pale at what she saw.
 
 
Before her laid the body of a skinned beast covered in fresh blood. Mariette covered her mouth to prevent herself from throwing up.
 
 
Wuya, Toshi, and Usagi emerged from the trees behind her and cringed at the sight of the dead beast.
 
 
“Who in the world did this?” said Wuya sickened. Toshi looked at Mariette and noticed how pale she looked.
 
 
“Are you all right, Mariette?” asked Toshi in concern. Mariette turned away from the dead beast, crouched down, and threw up causing Toshi to gasp in surprise.
 
 
“Mariette?”
 
 
Wuya and Usagi looked down at Mariette in concern.
 
 
“You OK?” asked Wuya. Mariette looked at her friends completely pale.
 
 
“I didn't tell you guys, but I get extremely sick at the smell and sight of blood,” said Mariette. Mariette covered her mouth trying to prevent herself from puking.
 
 
Wuya and Toshi blinked in confusion and looked toward Usagi.
 
 
“But you didn't look sick when you treated Usagi's wound. There was blood and you even sucked some of it out,” pointed out Wuya. Toshi nodded in agreement. Mariette looked at her friends looking sick.
 
 
“I did feel sick, but I tried not to show it. Besides, Usagi was hurt and I just couldn't leave him then,” admitted Mariette. Mariette looked down sadly and added, “And in my village before in Hourai, my parents told me not to show my weakness against blood or I would be teased more.”
 
 
Toshi and Wuya shook their heads and placed a hand on Mariette's shoulders.
 
 
“It's OK to have a small weakness,” they reassured. Usagi nodded in agreement and licked Mariette's cheek. Mariette smiled at them weakly and looked back at the dead beast.
 
 
Mariette cringed at the body and placed a hand over her mouth.
 
 
Wuya looked down at Mariette and asked, “Why did you come here anyway?” Mariette suddenly perked up and looked around the area.
 
 
“Mariette?”
 
 
Mariette walked toward the bloody body making her friends confused. Mariette still looked sick, but continued to approach the body.
 
 
When she reached the body, she looked around it and noticed a pair of bloody footprints in the shape of a cat's paw leading away from the body. Mariette followed the tracks with her friends watching. The tracks ended at a bush. Mariette pushed through the bushes. Her eyes widen.
 
 
Within the bushes was a blood-covered baby white tiger with wings upon its back. Mariette smiled at it and pulled it out of the bushes. It struggled in her hold, but Mariette refused to let it go.
 
 
“What did you find?” asked Wuya as she approached Mariette. Mariette showed the blood-covered cub.
 
 
“I think this baby belonged to that dead creature,” said Mariette weakly. Wuya stared at it confusingly. Toshi and Usagi stared at it too.
 
 
“That's a Sugu,” said Toshi impressed.
 
 
“Sugu?” asked Mariette. Toshi nodded and smirked.
 
 
“Sugu are rare creatures. They are definitely not Youma and rulers, if they are lucky, can use them as transportation,” explained Toshi. Mariette nodded.
 
 
Wuya gave a frown and looked at the dead beast.
 
 
“Sugu are rare, but there are people who think that their fur should be used as a robe. That's probably the reason why this Sugu was killed and skinned,” said Wuya displeased.
 
 
Mariette looked down at the struggling cub sadly and said, “So this little one's mommy was killed for someone else's greed.” The cub bit Mariette's arm causing Mariette to flinch. Wuya, Toshi and Usagi glared at the cub.
 
 
“How dare you bite, Mariette,” said Toshi angrily. Wuya was going to hit it, but Mariette looked up at Wuya angrily and said, “Don't hit him.” Wuya stopped her actions. Mariette held the cub close as it bit Mariette's arm. Blood began to escape from her arm making Wuya, Toshi, and Usagi concerned.
 
 
“Just let it go, Mariette,” said Wuya as she reached toward Mariette. Mariette shook her head and walked pass her friends.
 
 
“This little one just lost his mommy. He's scared and doesn't know what to do. That's why he was crying. That's why he called for help,” said Mariette. Mariette looked at her friends with tear filled eyes and added, “That's why I'm going to help him.
 
 
Mariette ran through the woods with her friends behind her.
 
 
Mariette and her friends soon reached the lake. Mariette jumped into the lake with the cub still in her embrace. Mariette crouched down in the water with the cub still biting her arm. The blood cleared from the cub's fur and Mariette's clothes and arm in the lake water. Mariette hugged the cub as it gave a small growl and whispered, “I'll protect you.”
 
 
A tear escaped from the cub's eye as Mariette embraced it. It released Mariette's arm allowing more blood to flow out and licked it to try to prevent the blood from escaping. Mariette smiled down at it weakly and cuddled it.
 
 
“I won't let you be alone,” said Mariette as a tear escaped from her eye. The cub purred as it slowly went to sleep.
 
 
Mariette walked out of the lake with the cub still in hand. Toshi, Wuya, and Usagi ran to her.
 
 
“Are you all right, Mariette?” asked Toshi in concern. Mariette nodded and petted the sleeping cub's head.
 
 
“I want to keep him,” said Mariette with a smile. Wuya and Toshi gave out a sigh.
 
 
“Another pet,” they said in unison. Usagi gave a small cry. Mariette giggled and looked down at the cub.
 
 
“This one is definitely a boy by the way it sounded, so he should have a boy name,” said Mariette. Mariette thought awhile and noticed the whiteness of his fur. Mariette gave a nod and said, “I'll name him Yuki meaning snow.” Wuya and Toshi smiled and stated that it was a nice name.
 
 
Mariette suddenly fell over with the cub, known as Yuki. Wuya and Toshi caught her and asked, at the same time, “Are you all right?” They looked at Mariette closely and noticed that she was unconscious.
 
 
“The blood must have been too much,” said Wuya. Toshi nodded. They placed Mariette on the ground nicely. Wuya tried to pull Yuki away from Mariette's embrace, but Mariette refused to let go. Wuya gave out a sigh.
 
 
“Looks like Mariette has a sleeping companion,” said Wuya. Usagi gave a small cry and cuddled next to Mariette. He laid his head next to Mariette's and fell asleep almost instantly.
 
 
Wuya chuckled and said, “Looks like Usagi isn't going to let Yuki get all the attention.” Toshi nodded in agreement.
 
 
Toshi looked at Wuya and said, “I'm going to take a nap too.” Wuya was about to object, but Toshi was already cuddled next to Mariette and asleep.
 
 
Wuya shook her head and said, “Boys are always so competitive.” Wuya looked toward Mariette and gave out a small laugh.
 
 
“Mariette forgot to tuck in her cat features,” said Wuya. Wuya turned away from them and said, “I'll just finish up the laundry.” With that said, she marched away from them.
 
 
Yoko stared down at Mariette, who was swinging her tail now and then and smiled.
 
 
“Even though she was weak, she still wanted to protect that baby Sugu. She really is kind hearted.”
 
 
(Hey, I'm back. This is a long chapter and I decided to add the rest of this arc, so I wouldn't leave you guys hanging, so prepare for mega updates.)